Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Avenger Starting and Stalling Problems

13»

Comments

• myangelmyangel Member Posts: 5
    Try the "ASD" relay. There are two located in the engine compartment, on the drivers side, on the firewall. There will be 2 small aluminum relays side by side. Wait until the car stalls again, then go under hood and rap on the two relays with a screwdriver end or some sort. If it is a faulty relay, the car should start right away. It took us a long time to figure this one out. The dealers couldnt even figure it out. Also, if it is the relays, you can only get them from a dodge dealer. They are only $12.00 email me & let me know the outcome. myangelmoo@yahoo.com
  • tonyamelissatonyamelissa Member Posts: 3
    Ok.. Seems that my car is now running but for how long. Ughhhh.
    The only prob I seem to have now is my car smells like gas when driving. Hmmm. Wonder what could of happened at the shop the other day. Now I have to call Meineke AGAIN to see why I'm getting that smell.. They gave my husband a list of things that needed replacing but he didnt write it down. Ughhhh
    The first thing they did was replace starter/starter relay and that was 410.00. A year later and they just did the fuel pump relay and had to do diagnostics twice.. at 80.00 a pop. WTH. The total for the fix the other day was 240.00 and included the tow charge to get it there.. Not too bad.
    I'm tired of spending money on this car but can't afford a new one. Grrr.
  • joshs99avengerjoshs99avenger Member Posts: 1
    I have the same question. First off, I learned that I had an ASD relay going out by reading these forums, so thank you everybody for sharing your problems and fixes. My experience: For the last year, the car would sometimes refuse to start until I popped the hood and tapped on those relays, then it will fire right up. In the last week it's died on me twice while running, once at a red light, and once while I was getting ready to make a left hand turn. So either the problem is getting worse, or the car is developing a new problem.
    Now I'm ready to change the ASD relay after the dealership charged me 60 bucks for it! grrr Which of the three relay boxes on the driverside firewall is the ASD relay?
  • mactankermactanker Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. did you ever get a solution?
  • slippy2424slippy2424 Member Posts: 1
    About two months ago I took my '96 Avenger to the garage for plugs, wires and distributor. Seems when we got alot of rain it wouldn't start at all for a few days til it dried out. Tune up completed, but now I have another problem that I didn't have before - stalling.

Car runs great for a little while after the first time I start it up for the day, but after awhile it seems to idle like hell at traffic lights and stops. Sometimes it will even shut off if I am just coasting slowly, like in a parking lot. Took it back to the garage, had the TPS replaced, no luck. Went and got a MAP sensor, that isn't it either. It has a rebuilt transmission, and sometimes won't shift properly, so I have to feather the gas when I pull out. Also tried gumout and some stp fuel treatment after the last few fill ups, seemed to fix the problem temporarily.

This is aggravating... any ideas?
  • monciermoncier Member Posts: 1
    Where is the camshaft position sensor for a dodge avenger 1998, 2.5 liter v-6
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    in the distributor
  • flowmasteraflowmastera Member Posts: 1
    OK! 2000 Dodge Avenger es. 68000 miles. Car cranks but will not start. :lemon: New Distributor(cam sensor), Crank Sensor, and coolant temp sensor. I also tried tapping the asd relay. I am to the point that I have no ideas left. I wish I could get this car running so that I can trade it in for a higher value. just paid it off in feb.
  • chelc7201chelc7201 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Dodge Avenger that has been stalling (more frequently it seems) while Im driving. While I am driving my tach drops down to zero, power seems to be on, engine seems to be on then all the warning lights flickers then it dies. After about more then 5 to10 minutes it will start up again. It may stay running or it wil stall out again in a matter of minutes. It seems to do it more when I have my headlights on. And once it dies I still have headlights and radio. My check engine light was on due to my "gas cap and emissions". Could it be the ERG valve or ASD Relay? I don't know anymore. Anyone have any comment or suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.
  • bauxbaux Member Posts: 8
    my 2008 2.7 ltr dodge avenger stalls out about once every 3 weeks..il be at a light idoling or in park idoling and it will drop to1000rpm then just stall out..i can start it right away and it happens at random times..also when im driving it seems to hesitate when shifitng a gear, it dosnt happen all the time but quite offen, it kind of thunks and i can feel the car thud forwards..im going to take it to the dealer but id like a second opinion, thanks for any suggestions..
  • lucky71lucky71 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 95 avenger that has the same problem as chelc7201, I see similar problems however no one has posted after to say if the ASD relay fixed the problem? Can anyone provide some insight? I changed the Crankshaft Position Sensor and it didnt help. I've got 203000 miles, it runs great except for the stalling issue.
  • dustinkemp93dustinkemp93 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem... I have a 95 Dodge Avenger ES 2.5L V6
    It will run for about 20 miles then stalls... I can let it sit for an hour or two and it will run and do the same thing. I have already changed the fuel pump, inline fuel filter, and the distributor. I also changed the fuel relay. It seems to stall when then engine gets heated up. After it stalled i checked one of the spark plugs and they wasn't getting spark thats wat made me check the distributor but it does the same thing after i replaced it so next i was going to check my coil pack and the ignition module but if you could help me if you got it figured out on your car they seem to be having the same problem????
  • watermoosewatermoose Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue. Did you ever get it fixed?

Thanks!
    I changed the Fuel Pump Relay with the ASD Relay to see if the symptoms changed. The first four days there was no stalling issues, then it did it once. Now its dying again after I start it, then it starts right up and I have no more problems. I am waiting on $ before I buy two new relays for the ASD and Fuel, they aren't too expensive just being frivolous since I only drive 10 miles round trip. I do think it was the ASD relay, before it would die like a loss of all power making a noise in the dash, now it just dies without that noise. I haven't thought being warmed up has made a difference but now that I think about it, it seemed to happen in the beginning more when it was hot outside. Hope it helps.
    I changed the Fuel Pump Relay with the ASD Relay to see if the symptoms changed. The first four days there was no stalling issues, then it did it once. Now its dying again after I start it, then it starts right up and I have no more problems. I am waiting on $ before I buy two new relays for the ASD and Fuel, they aren't too expensive just being frivolous since I only drive 10 miles round trip. I do think it was the ASD relay, before it would die like a loss of all power making a noise in the dash, now it just dies without that noise. I haven't thought being warmed up has made a difference but now that I think about it, it seemed to happen in the beginning more when it was hot outside. Hope it helps.
  • avenger1996avenger1996 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my 96 avenger. Did you ever find out what the cause of the problem was?.

Thanks
    Chuck
  • jimbo818jimbo818 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 avenger ES trust me this is the Answer Its probably just your crank shaft sensor Located in the trans axle under the distributor (kinda looks like a sperm cell...Its black and has a magnet in the head ...not the cam shaft sensor( which is located in the distributor) second... replace your EGR they get clogged all the time. Dont pay for this stuff... just pull it off of a 96 six avenger from a junk yard you'll pay about ten dollars...in stead of two hundred for the parts. Remember for the furure its always a vacuum problem or a catalytic problem.Just unplug the O2 sensors to check for Cat problems. Sorry they really got you dude A distibutor and computer...damn thats about 400 dollars. By the way is your fuel pressure regulator ( on the fuel rail)connected to a vacuum hose running to the fuel rail?
  • mike565mike565 Member Posts: 1
    Why didn't we all read this forum before we bought our avengers. I love my 95 es v6 and only want the best for it. It doesn't seem to share my affection though. I've got the same stalling problem as ya'll and i've tried most of the same remedies. I've never replaced any of the relays but i just put in a computer from the junkyard. Maybe by process of elimination we can figure this out. I've put to much money into this car to stop now. Now there are too many things right to walk away. I haven't put enough miles on it to see what the results will be from the junkyard computer, or to know if this is the "big fix"we all need. I'll let ya'll know. God bless us everyone.
  • jamie47jamie47 Member Posts: 7
    I purchased my 2008 avenger in 2008. from driving off the lot it started all ,y problems. the 4 ways didnt work, when i took it to get fixed, they said it had wiring problems, the wiring was all messed up they said. Then i started feeling a hesitation. like a pulling back. then it started stalling, it always had very bad gas mileage. then i started going through brakes after brakes and rotors also! my air bag lights always come on. brake light comes on now and then. so i took it after it finally let me sit. it needed a fule pump. then it needed 2 modlues. then it needed an alternator, now its back in after only 3 months of fixing all of that. and the same module burnt out! chrysler has been good to me and paid over 1000. for the fuel pump and module. now its out again! they have been good to me, but the car is unreliable, now i have to buy a brand new car and have another 5yr pymt when i only had 2 yrs left on this one. we all need to get together and contact the attorney general with all these same problems we all have together! i feel there should of been a recall on many things like them brakes and rotors i see a lot. its too often! and the stalling, many things. my trunk also leaks all over when u open the trunk lid. anyone who wnats to get together with me and start something. email me at gurlygirl_jamie@yahoo.com
    mike, i have a 2008 avenger mine did the same exact thing. it ended up being a fuel pump and modules. it stalled and pulled back like a hesitation when u are going steady, until finally one day it wouldnt start at all. hope maybe this helps
    hello, i also have a 2008, i had the exact same problem, eventually it will let u sit! i took mine to dodge and and they replaced the fule pump and modules, i complained to the chrysler corporation and they paidover 1000. to fix it. if we all get together and complain maybe something will be done, im contacting the attorney general, this is only 2 of SEVERAL problems with this car. if we all get together maybe something will be done because i see all these reviews with same problems i have i had the modulereplacedin janand itlet me sait again! same module burnt again!
    same exact thing i had. it was fule pump and modules, contact chrysler! they paid over 1000. to fix mine.
    i do! mine was the fuel pump and modules, then the alternator. chrysler paid over 1000. to fix the fule pump and modules. the module was replace in jan and burnt out again!
    mine was the fuel pump and modules. did the exact same thing o and also changed the alternator
  • pokeyhowepokeyhowe Member Posts: 1
    Hi . My 19 year old son is having the same stalling problems when coming to a stop or when stopped. Called Chrysler Canada and told me to take it to dealership, they did the scope said nothing wrong and sent him on his way, other than trying to get him to do a tune up and air induction service. Took the car to my machanic and had a tune up and throttle body cleaning altho was told that would not fix the problem. It didn't. Called Car help Canada and they said if was a safety issue and to call Transport Canada defect investigation department. They made a report but had no answers. Called Crysler Canada again this afternoon and got no help whatso ever again. When there are no codes showing how can my son get them to check these things you are speaking of or replace them without it costing him alot of money. He drives every day on the highway to get to college and of course with toronto traffic he has to come to stops that then make his car stall. It is quite worrisome knowing someone could rear end him pretty badly. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks kindly
  • mdguy27mdguy27 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Avenger i didnt even have it for a month yet and just like you's my car did the exact same thing.... like today i took it to my second inspection and i got to the place the guy hopes in and it doesn't start up.....i go over and hop in and it seems to me like it took 15 minutes to get it started...then after my inspection was done it shut off on me on one of the busiest highways, thank god it only took a couple of seconds to get it re-start.....then it does it again goin down the interstate i put the car in Neutral turn the key and it fires back up......what is a person to do when he is on a budget?
    I changed the crank shaft position sensor and did NOT notice any difference. I changed the ASD relay with the fuel pump relay thinking if it was the relay there would be a change in symptoms. For a few days after it ran fine and did not quit, then it started again however its not as predominant as before. I run with the idea that I dont give up on my car, it gives up on me. Not knowing when that is I dont sink much $ into it. I would suggest replacing the ASD relay its like $20-$30 for a new one, I saw someplace that you can get the same type of relay from Radioshack cheaper you just have to mount it yourself. Good Luck
    get rid of it!! im not even kidding! they kept telling me there were no codes coming up on mine either. it let me sit like 10x in 4mos! in and out of chrysler. i finally traded that junk in!!!!
  • burelison23burelison23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger my fuel pump went out in June paid over 1200 for it and it just went out today. Obviously something is wrong and there needs to be a recall cause these idiots did something wrong
  • frenchy10frenchy10 Member Posts: 1
    My son's 1995 dodge avenger would run perfectly fine for roughly 20 mins. and stall out without warning at a stop light or sign. Motor will crank with lots of power, but no fire. Let the car sit for 1 to 2 hours and the car starts fine, until you drive it for the 20 mins. or so. Took car to the dealership and they changed the computer and so far no stalling out. (computer $400 + labour)
  • blue_avengerblue_avenger Member Posts: 1
    My 97 Avenger had been stalling at idle for over a year. Then it was stalling and not starting back up. I had the crank sensor replaced and it seemed to put an end the stalling. But it still won't start most of the time until I tap on the Auto Shutdown Relay.

The Dodge dealership wants $60 for one! I ordered one online for $10. It's an exact replacement of what's in there already, which is not a dealer part ...... this must have happened before with the previous owner. The ASD relay is a Zettler AZ973-1C-12DC1R1.
  • misslilly7misslilly7 Member Posts: 1
    I've got the same problem with my car stalling, I haven't narrowed it down to anything specific when I'm driving other than it occasionally shifts hard between 2nd and 3rd (its an automatic). Usually it happens when I'm on the freeway and I've just been putting it into neutral and then turning off the ignition and restarting it. Kinda freaky when your driving at 70mph. Anyways, I've done some digging and it sounds like a lot of vehicles are having this problem ... Avenger engines are mitsubishi made and a lot of foregone cars are stalling out too. It sounds like the crankshaft position sensor is the culprit with mine at least. We have plugged it into a scanner and it didn't throw any codes either. I'll have the sensor changed this week and update you guys on the progress.
  • txavenger99txavenger99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Dodge avenger sport v6. It will crank but has a rough idle and if I turn on the AC it boogs down and jerks. If you feather the gas pedal it will idle up but if you press it to hard it bogs down all the way and wants to die. It started doing the rough idle while I was at Mcdonalds drive through it through a check engine light but then it goes off. I'm scared to drive it because of having to pull out on a hwy because it won't go unless you hit the gas just right. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • miamattmiamatt Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get the problem fixed? My 2008 Dodge Avenger is doing the same thing and i was just wondering before i take it in to the shop.
  • gizmomartingizmomartin Member Posts: 1
    Im a mechanic for over 25 yrs. and I have nevr experienced a poor engineer design as the avenger with the conventional distributor. meaning your cam sensor and your coils are all built inside this distributor, unexchangeable. you have to replace the entire distributor. also the way the distributor is mounted, at bottom of block sideways. a perfect culprit for moister and rain to get inside that dist. cap and short out the sensor and coils, plus causing the onboard pc to tell the asd relay and fuel relay to shut down. I have replaced my daughters distributor 3 times now due to this poor design. but yes I read all these articles on the same problem with these avengers and it most always lies between replacing the whole distributor and or asd, fuel relays. at least now I can order her distributor off ebay for only $85.00. the relays are 20.00 at advance auto. :D
  • bee80bee80 Member Posts: 3
    Mine just started, I went to pull out of a parking lot and the rpm's dropped to zero and would not start back up, radio still going, so not battery. Called a tow truck and then it started up. Mechanic had it for a week and no act ups, and no reading when he hooked up the computer. Went to my daughters about a mile away and got there, but would not start up 45 minutes later when I went to leave. Got it back home and sat in it and keep a steady foot, as if driving down highway...sure enough in 2 minutes it died & would not restart. I love my avenger but I have to drive 40 highway miles a day to work. My mechanic is thinking cam / crank sensor
  • haubelshaubels Member Posts: 2
    My '95 Avenger has the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?
  • chelc7201chelc7201 Member Posts: 2
    Mine ended up being my O2 sensor. I had replaced MANY parts, and spent a lot of money on parts that didn't fix my problem! After I replaced it, it was like a new car and gave me absolutely no problems! Hope this helps!!
    not yet. I am going to replace the distributor and start there
    thank you. did you change it or paid someone?
  • ian_amparadoian_amparado Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    Hi! I'm new to this forum. I have a 97 Avenger that a friend gave me. I installed a new ECM and started runing again but with a few new problems.

1. Stalls when on stoplight.
    2. vibrating hard when on drive
    3. Lagging on acceleration. Feels really heavy.

Heres what ive done so far,

Checked

1. Crankshaft pos sensor
    2. Camshaft pos sensor
    3. Fuel relay
    4. ASD relay

Completed/ Replaced

1. Fuel relay
    2. Full Tune up
    3. Crank pos sensor

Please Help! What should I check next?
  • haubelshaubels Member Posts: 2
    I've read that it could be the idle sensor. I have the same prob. but haven't tried the sensor yet.
    Let me know if it works for you.
  • ian_amparadoian_amparado Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestion haubels!

I'm gonna check that out and I'll let you know...
  • dpb5dpb5 Member Posts: 1
    I just want to chime in about my 1995 Avenger. I bought it as a dealer model back in 95. Best car I have ever owned! 110,000 miles to date.! I just had the rocker panels replaced and put a new tailpipe on, only the second time in it's life that I needed to do that! And I live in ERIE PA! In it's 18 year life I've had to do the of course routine maintenance, but even with all that I haven't spent more than $4000 on maintenance in all her 18 years. Just had a small amount of surface body work done and soon will get her repainted for the first time ever! She's my BABY... what can I say? If you want to know more feel free to email me at karaokekingdom@webtv.net or simply reply to this post ... Dave
  • tman652tman652 Member Posts: 2
    I own 2011 Dodge Avenger V6 3.5 the vehicle has 140 000 KM on it the vehicle lost power and shut down. Check engine light came on code was reading cylinder # 1 misfire changed all the spark   plugs  and the #1 boot. The problem went away. Then it came back again. This time code was general misfire. When I checked oil it was down 1L. Topped up checked the pressure.  on all the pistons the are holding good. Did oil change cleanded the valves make sure their is no carbon on them still same problem.   Took the car to dodge did computer update no error codes seams fine drove for 100 km  seems to be ok.
    Then I started the car 3 hous later same problem stalling rpm jumping from 500 to 1000 running rough please help. 
  • markymarc911markymarc911 Member Posts: 2
    jamie47 said:

hello, i also have a 2008, i had the exact same problem, eventually it will let u sit! i took mine to dodge and and they replaced the fule pump and modules, i complained to the chrysler corporation and they paidover 1000. to fix it. if we all get together and complain maybe something will be done, im contacting the attorney general, this is only 2 of SEVERAL problems with this car. if we all get together maybe something will be done because i see all these reviews with same problems i have i had the modulereplacedin janand itlet me sait again! same module burnt again!

Replace the distributor
  • anthonylavalleeanthonylavallee Member Posts: 1
    The starting and stalling problem on my 98' Avenger was the battery. It turned the engine over well but would idle erratically and start with difficulties. Turns out the battery needs to have 12.6 reading standing (over night) in order to efficiently operate all engine functions.. Ran fine after a 40 mile stop and go test with a new battery. Test your battery standing. It must read 12.6 the next day. These cars won't run right with a weak battery. Go figure.
  • LaliBLaliB Member Posts: 1
    jimbo818 said:

I have a 95 avenger ES trust me this is the Answer Its probably just your crank shaft sensor Located in the trans axle under the distributor (kinda looks like a sperm cell...Its black and has a magnet in the head ...not the cam shaft sensor( which is located in the distributor) second... replace your EGR they get clogged all the time. Dont pay for this stuff... just pull it off of a 96 six avenger from a junk yard you'll pay about ten dollars...in stead of two hundred for the parts. Remember for the furure its always a vacuum problem or a catalytic problem.Just unplug the O2 sensors to check for Cat problems. Sorry they really got you dude A distibutor and computer...damn thats about 400 dollars. By the way is your fuel pressure regulator ( on the fuel rail)connected to a vacuum hose running to the fuel rail?

Hey Jimbo, I have the same problem. The car will start and then stall while I'm drivinq, then when I try to crank it it doesn't start. It'll crank but won't turn over. I wait for about 3 minutes and then it starts. Just want to know what I should try first.