Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Transmission Questions

Comments

• stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    Nathan118,

Have you called Toyota Corporate to set up a case/claim with them? They'll assign a person to you that will "hopefully" help you. Ask them how to escalate the problem if you are unsatisfied with what they are telling you. Also, tell them you are going to write to president of Toyota North America (located in California)......they should try a little harder to resolve your issues.
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    That was well said because I'm having my doubts about the integrity of Edmunds
  • nathan118nathan118 Member Posts: 31
    But I'm 99% sure that's just how the car runs. I don't think there is anything they can fix to make it run the way I'd like.

Do you think escalating the issue would help me sell/get rid of it? Because at this point I'm done dealing with the car and want to move on with life.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Doubts about the integrity of Edmunds? We are providing this and numerous other places for folks having issues to compare notes and try to help each other in any way that they can. Not sure how this would lead you to question the integrity of this site. :confuse:

FWIW, ongoing issues are reported up the chain on a regular basis. This one has been and will continue to be. I'll include it again in my next report.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >We are providing this and numerous other places for folks having issues to compare notes and try to help each other in any way that they can.

I went back through the thread. Am I right that someone is suggesting that Edmunds.com should comment to Toyota that there is discussion about their problems with the Camry (ES350/Avalon) here? I also saw mention that the reviews on Edmunds don't mention the problems.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i suspect as noteable items of interest, the hosts routinely summarize the sorts of things they are comming up against to key the staff (and possibly the reviewers) on what they might need to be sensitive to.

i doubt highly that summaries of problems are sent directly to any one particular manufacturer.
    Yes, someone said something about wanting Edmunds to intervene with Toyota (or something like that). Toyota is aware of the discussions here and, as many of you will remember, specifically provided a rep to address the snap ring problem (see archived discussion for details). Before someone asks, I don't know why he's not here for this one nor do I know how to get him here. :) I do know that the continuing advice to call the toll free line and get a case number is the best way to make sure they are aware of the extent of the problem.

Anyone who says that the Edmunds consumer reviews do not mention the problems has not read them. I moderate them, and believe me, the problems are there.

User777, yes, you are generally correct on the reporting. Thanks.
  • juncmailjuncmail Member Posts: 7
    Becareful who is telling you the hesitation issues are fixed. The initial hesitation when the car was launched last summer is fixed but the 4cyl still has a lag. (almost like a turbo lag, press the pedal and the engine response is delayed) If you want proof visit the NHTSA website and look-up the 2007 camry complaint log.
    I have had every available TSB done on the vehicle. The SE rep even came to the arbitration hearing with a new TSB released in May. When I went to the dealer down the road (Town and Country) to have it done they said it was for the hard shifting (which is for the V6) not the lag.
    "Like your Camry, I have seen many equivalent complaints of engine delay/hesitation on almost all FWD Toyota boards plus VW, Ford, Honda, etc."

To compare what is going on with the 4cyl Camry hesitation to "VW, Ford, Honda, etc" is a broad statement, please refer to examples such as the 180 plus complaints against the 2007 Toyota Camry on NHTSA, referring mostly to hesitation issues, and flare. What other manufacturer has as many complaints for their 2007 FWD model year? I drove an '01 Honda Accord, not sure if it was DBW then but no hesitation. I travel for work and drive different cars on a weekly basis, Ford, Kia, GM, Chevy, Chrysler and have yet to experience the hesitation I have with the '07 4cyl Camry.
    What happened to the 2007 Toyota Camry 4cyl hesitation thread? If edmunds is so concerned why was it erased, or melted with another thread so it is harder to differentiate between the 6cyl and the 4cyl issues? Just wondering since I started the thread and have come back to find it gone or merged to a larger, more general topic.
    As I explained when I closed it (pat, "2007 4 cyl Camry Transmission TSBs" #98, 26 Jun 2007 8:28 am), it was getting too confusing having so many places talking about transmission problems. If you look at the posts there, you can see that very few of them were in response to what you were looking for.

I'm sorry it didn't work out very well, but we can continue here.
  • collettevcollettev Member Posts: 3
    hi my name is collette and my husband and i purchased a new 2007 v6 camry. we are having major trouble with the transmission and accelleration. so bad that it caused me to have an accident in june. i was pulling into a parking spot when all of a sudden it was like someone pushed the gas. i rear ended a truck (which thank goodness there was no one in ).it scared me like you would not believe. i waited on the people to come out that the truck belonged to . there was no damage to their truck but there was to my car . we called toyota where i purchased it and then we called toyota motor sales and we took it in and they kept the car for a month and it is in legal now ,whatever that means.they released my car back to me ,but i have still not got the report back on it . they said they updated the transmission (WHICH DID NOT HELP). then it done the same thing on my husband as it did to me . we called toyota motor sales again and my husband ended up cussing the man because all he would keep saying is that it was his decission . he asked what if it caused someone to get hurt or killed . who would be responsible ? he would just say it is your dession. my husband asked would you let your wife or daughter drive it and he would say, it is your dession. so my husband hung up on him. my husband went back to the dealer where we got it and they know there is a problem and they had my husband to call and ask for arbritation.( which from reading some of your post is a waste of time ). i am sending in the paper work for that now . i am very disappointed in toyota.we have had two other toyotas prior and we loved them . i sure wish i had kept the old camry.i am glad that i found this web site and i would GREATLY APPRCIATE ANY RESPONSE TO THIS . i do not believe that i am the only one that may have had a accident with this. if they have not they are lucky ,but there is a dangerous problem with the transmission and the lunging forward. my husband thinks that it is the tranmission causing the lunging . thank you for listening to me. i would love to put my email address on here but they do not recommend it . i would just like to talk to someone about this . thank you very much. collette
    collette, i'm glad both you and your husband are OK.

it may be helpful for you to file a report with the NHTSA.
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm

(you can also research others having problems there as well)
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    After sifting through the posts here, I printed out the EG056-06 and noticed that my car was built after the production change effective VINs indicated on the TSB (dated Sept. 29 2006).

I came on this forum because I've been experiencing this lag issue as well--whenever I drive around 20 MPH (30 km/h) and then floor it, nothing happens! For about 2 or 3 seconds, I'm just driving at the same speed I was before I floored it, and then suddenly, the car surges forward. I couldn't believe it! I had the "pedal to the metal" and NOTHING was happening! It's very frustrating, not to mention dangerous, when I need the power I normally have but can't get at that very moment.

Is this similar to what other people have been experiencing with the 4 cylinder?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The acceleration "delay" is the result of safety enhancements made to FWD automatic transaxle control firmware starting late in the last century with the introduction of the RX300.

When you fully lift the throttle, gas pedal, at certain speeds it is thought that the resulting level of engine compression braking on the front wheels might result in loss of directional control should the roadbed be somewhat slippery at the time. Obviously even a slight level of engine compression braking might interfere with the functionality of your anti-lock braking system in this situation.

So the newer FWD transaxles are programmed to upshift upon a lift throttle event at critical coastdown roadspeeds. 40-30 MPH and 10-0 MPH for the '01 RX300.

So far, so good.

But.

If you have DBW and just happen to wish to accelerate rapidly just shortly after the the upshift begins you will wait for both the upshift and then a sequential downshift to complete. The downshift is required to deliver the engine torque for rapid acceleration. Since the engine went to idle initially upon the lift throttle event the DBW firmware will keep it there until the downshift clutches are fully and firmly seated.

To make matters a bit worse the initial upshift likely exhausted any reserve ATF pressure and now with the engine at idle it will take a while to build enough ATF pressure to complete the sequential downshift.

All that might take a few seconds depending mostly on just how soon you re-apply foot pressure to the gas pedal after the initial lift throttle upshift begins.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Good Morning Everyone:
    On Monday, (July 30th), I had an Oil and Filter service performed at the selling Toyota Dealer in North Jersey. The Camry now has 12,500 + plus miles on the "clock"! This was the fifth oil and filter change. (I change the oil and filter every 2,500 miles, because I do a lot of mixed driving. My choice!)In addition to the oil and filter service, I had them check the brake linings, clean the brakes and adjust the parking brake. I noticed after this service that the hydraulic brake pedel was firmer when applying the brakes!

wwest (posting #335)
    Your posting was "outstanding"! Maybe my vehicle does have the problems associated with this board, but I DO NOT drive in an aggressive manner, so as such, they DO NOT show up. I leave a large distance between my vehicle and the vehicle in front of me, and I apply the accelerator in a steady / firm manner.(I leave a large distance because when things happen on the highway, I LIKE TO HAVE OPTIONS!) ----- When I need power to pass on the highway, I press down on the accelerator in a steady / firm fashion, and the transmission down shifts very smoothly, and the vehicle "takes off". I can easily go from 40mph to 80mph in seconds. Sometimes this vehicle scares me with its rapid acceleration! (The last time I drove a vehicle that had this type of acceleration was a 1964 Pontiac GTO with a "stick shift," and this vehicle had Carbs. and a breaker point ignition system!) With a "drive by wire accelerator" the driver must anticipate his / her moves on the road. This translates into "no tale-gating" and / or "aggressive driving" and appling the accelerator in a steady / firm manner. The days of "sloppy driving" are over! There might be problems with some of the Camrys on the road, but I think that some of the "issues" are related to a "learning curve" of the drivers interfacing with the "new software technology". I like my XLE V6 Camry, and I would love to have the opportunity to take this vehicle out west on route 80 to see just how fast this could go on a straight road! I would bet that this vehicle could do well over 120mph without a problem, but at that speed I would need "tower clearance to land"!!!!!!!!!!!!! Based on my vehicle, I would purchase another V6 Camry. In 2010 I will be in the market for a replacement vehicle. I will continue to follow the postings! ---- Best regards to all. ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    dwayne, your observations are important. your past posts have been sensitive to people that experience the issue.

tell you what: why don't you get on the open road and try some pendal to the metal WOT scenarios to see if the car responds or not?

look, first off you're making the case that people should adapt to the automation; that they should learn a new way of driving. on face value, that has some merit. however, when automation collides with the causal input/response learning your brain has re-inforced since you were a tot, this is a no-joy situation.

secondly, if and when you need to apply power and it's not there, you're at a great disadvantage. factually, if you mash on the gas, the vehicle has to move. passing, lane merging, accident avoidance, turning left...

the vehicle can't spend time "waking up" from an unresponsive / unprepared state.

i like wwest's theory... but some people can't get their cars to behave in this problematic manner. we are talking seconds of delay here.

what you write about not following closely, driving in a smooth manner, anticipating problems... this is all important points we've all learned as new drivers.

a vehicle failing to respond with increased power output to increases in control system input is plainly not one of the things anyone has learned, would expect and plan for, nor should accept. :sick:
    >To make matters a bit worse the initial upshift likely exhausted any reserve ATF pressure and now with the engine at idle it will take a while to build enough ATF pressure to complete the sequential downshift.

After being killed because the car doesn't move for several seconds after full throttle someone standing at the Gates to Heaven or whatever "afterlife" place one thinks of can tell St. Peter that the under designed transmission worked great and the software protected the transmission so it didn't do anything to itself and the junkyard can probably salvage it for another car to use it. Too bad the humans were killed in he ensuing accident...

• canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Thanks for that explanation--I called my dealership this morning about the issue and they said they were aware of it. The problem is basically caused by drive-by-wire, but didn't go into detail (you did though, thanks). He went on to say that Toyota was currently working on a calibration to eliminate the lag we're experiencing, but didn't give me a timeframe for it.
    Aggressive driving has nothing to do with whether or not a given driver experiences the engine/transaxle firmware controlled downshift DBW delay.

There is a Toyota TSB issued in the spring of 2003 for the 2003 MY Camry that lays out at least three situations, situations that any of us might encounter, in which the delay might be encountered.

My '01 911 Porsche (granted, stick shifter) also has DBW, as did my '99, and I have yet to encounter any untoward response/activity as a result, even on the track at Daytona.

Remember also that for cost reduction DBW allowed the idle air bypass method and servo system and the cruise throttle control servo system to be eliminated.
    Insofar as I know there are only two methods available for "retrofitting", at least inexpensively, these hundreds of thousands of automatic transaxles already out there in users hands.

A) Go back to the "legacy" firmware ('99-'00{***}) from before the adoption of DBW (to "protect the drive train"). The number of premature transaxle failures would increase slightly but that would be relatively inexpensive when compared to all of this adverse publicity.

*** The '01-'03 RX300 firmware would also likely work but I strongly suspect these Toyota FWD vehicles just prior to adopting DBW have larger/higher displacement ATF oil pumps to help resolve the downshift problem. That, of course, is what resulted in the ATF overheat problem in this series.

B) Adopt the firmware technique apparently being used currently for FWD vehicles with stick shift transmissions, such as the Suzuki SX4. That firmware apparently revs up the engine to match roadspeed if the driver inadvertently downshifts to a level that might result in "excessive" engine compression braking, or interference with ABS with brakes applied, should the roadbed be slippery
    Good Morning To All:
    I decided to look at the "Edmunds Postings on the Avalon Boards" I came across a posting on the "Toyota / Avalon 2005+ board site" that was VERY INTERESTING! It talks about the driver's position of their "foot" on the accelerator pedal! The author of the posting stated that the transmission reacted differently if the driver changed positions of their foot on the pedal! The posting is #113 by: "lofgren" March 28, 2006! QUESTION: ---- Could this be the reason why some owners DO NOT have the problem, and some experience the shifting issues?
    Best Regards! --------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :confuse: :)
    NO.
    not wishing to disagree with wwest, so let me qualify: *possibly* if there is a mechanical compliance issue with the accelerator pedal assembly.

this has been mentioned before. i think i have indicated to a couple of people, if i had this problem, i'd have them look at changing out the accelerator pedal assembly, throttle valve assembly, if the transmission or torque convertor changes didn't address the problem.

there are a number of possible contributors to LAG, and compliance or sensor calibration / sticktion or other non-linearity could be one of them, yes.

mostly what wwest has been posting about is design strategies utilized in DBW for mitigating some issues related to controllability in FWD vehicles, increased fuel economy, and increased transmission / torque convertor longevity.

but it's possible some manufacturing fallouts in pedal or throttle assemblies is at root cause for some and definitely worth considering, sure.
  • camryowner1camryowner1 Member Posts: 62
    BOUGHT 2007 CAMRY LE 4CYL./5SPD AUTOMATIC 3/07,
    EXPERIENCED UNACCEPTABLE DOWNSHIFTS AND ACCELERATION. LOCAL TOYOTA DEALER SAYS CAR IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND ALSO AM AWAITING ARBITRATION PAPERS. LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT:
    HANDSOMEDUDESC@YAHOO.COM
    WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF TOYOTA HAS ADDRESSED THE OBVIOUS PROBLEM WITH 07 CAMRY LE 4CYL./5SP AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION EXCESSIVE DOWNSHIFTING, LACK OF ACCELERATION, DELAY IN RESPONDING TO ACCELERATOR TO ACCELERATE, AND INABILITY TO ACCELERATE USING CRUISE CONTROL TO ACCELERATE.
    BOUGHT CAR MARCH, 07. LOCAL DEALER SAYS CAR OPERATING AS DESIGNED. ANY TSB, YET?
    HANDSOMEDUDESC@YAHOO.COM
    There are two TSB's out. I had them both performed. My car was fine before, but the TSB's were available so I had them performed. My cars performs even better than before.

TSB EG056R-06 (recalibrates/reprograms engine)
    TSB TC010-06 (replaces a solenoid; fixes downshifting problem)

Those should work. Others have told me these two worked.
    THANKS, SPIKE, DO YOU KNOW THE DATES OF THESE TSB'S? ON JULY 20, MY LOCAL TOYOTA DEALER TOLD ME NO TSB WAS OUT TO FIX MY PROBLEMS.
    They have both been out for quite some time now...at least half a year I think.

If you click on my profile, I have TSB EG056R-06 posted. You should be able to print each page out. Its five pages long. I used to have a link for the other TSB, but it doesn't work anymore. (I'm sure word got out that people were accessing them and they closed the door).

My dealer is very nice and showed me all of the TSB's that are out. I went behind his desk and looked at the computer with him. I brought both of them with me, printed out, when I went in. I had both performed about 6 months ago.

Good luck!
    wwest.
    look at this post, then the tsb on the '05 avalon.
    allavalons, "Toyota Avalon 2005+ Transmission Questions" #355, 2 Aug 2007 6:08 am

it's very interesting what is being replaced:
    http://link-protector.com/221107/
    New exhaust manifolds and a bunch of stuff are being replaced. Expensive fix.

THANKS, AGAIN, MY 07 CAMRY WAS MANUFACTURED IN DECEMBER 2006, SEEMINGLY, THE TSB'S YOU LIST WOULD FIX MY PROBLEMS. DO YOU KNOW IF THESE TSB'S APPLY TO CAMRYS BUILT IN DECEMBER,06? MY LOCAL DEALER SEEMS TO THINK THERE ARE NO TSB'S TO FIX MY CAR.
    OF COURSE "ASK TOYOTA" ON TOYOTA.COM STATES THAT THEY RELY ON THEIR LOCAL DEALERSHIPS TO DIAGNOSE AND FIX ANY PROBLEMS WITH TOYOTAS, SO I AM SOMEWHAT FRUSTRATED TRYING TO GET SATISFACTION.
    Hi there - it would be easier for all of us to read your posts if you take the caps-lock off. And it would look like you were talking to us instead of yelling at us. :)
    I'm not sure. It depends on your engine type, the production plant, and your VIN number.

I would reccomend this. Call Toyota's "Customer Experience Center." Phone: 800-331-4331. Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PT. Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PT

Tell them you are not "completely satisfied" with your current Toyota dealer. Ask them to find a local Toyota Dealer with a high "customer satisfaction index score." Ask the Toyota representative or case manager (if they assign one) to call that dealer and tell them you want to have the two TSB's performed. Then, you should be able to go to that dealer and have them perform the work.....and you won't have to argue with that dealership.

Unfortunately, some dealers do not care about customer service after they've sold you the vehicle. It is very frustrating when they tell you there isn't a problem when you KNOW there is one.

Good luck!
    Thanks, My 2007 camry 4cyl/5spd automatic was mfg Lexington, Ky., in 12/06. My VIN:
    4T1BE46K07U102536. I wonder if the TSB's listed above were ever incorporated into my car while it was being built. Though this is what I am told by my local dealer, I have to wonder if this is true.
    Do you know of any way online that I can check my VIN against these TSB's to see if maybe my car fell through the crack and they have never been installed?
    Would like to know if anyone owning 2007 Camry LE 4cy/5spd auto. with downshifting problems, acceleration lag problems etc. has had any favorable results from arbitration with Toyota.
    Before you discuss arbitration, what have you already tried doing? Have you gone to a different dealer, have you called corporate toyota, etc?
    I'm not sure how to tell based on the VIN. That section of page 1 on the print out is confusing. The first seven numbers of your vin match what is listed on the TSB and then the remaining numbers/letters do not match.

In my case, the first seven letters/numbers of my vin match the sheet (like yours does), but the remaining letters/numbers do not match. My dealer performed two TSB's for me.

Ask your dealer to prove it. If you look at page three of the TSB in my profile, it says there will be a small label/sticker attached to the bottom right corner underneath the hood. If the TSB has been performed it should say on that label. In either case, your dealer should be able to prove to you the TSB was performed.

Tell them you are not completely satisfied and that they shoudl spend a half an hour (not a lot of time) and perform the TSB for you.
  • accord07coupeaccord07coupe Member Posts: 14
    I was just wondering if the transmission problems are still occurring in the camry's and how many vehicles were affected, how do I check to see what VIN numbers are effected and

Also I would like to know if the car is having the transmission problem when I test drive the car.
    First of all, the car is not a lemon.

Secondly, anytime you purchase a new car you should take it on a long test drive. If the dealer won't let you take it on a long test drive, then don't buy the car from that dealer.

The vehicles that seem to have the problem/issue are older build models from 2006 and early 2007 builds. Newer builds seem to be unaffected, from what I've read. Also, the 2008's will be out very soon (if not already out in other states) so you could wait and get a new one.

To be honest, I think this vehicle is the first Camry some people have driven or the first drive-by-wire vehicle some people have driven and they are not familiar with how it drives. They might be used to how their old car drives and are trying to adjust to the new vehicle.

Some people are having problems, like most car owners do, but it is a very very small percentage of owners.

Good luck!
    I think the best way to test for the hesitation during a test drive is to "dither" the gas pedal on and off at about 30-45MPH.

Make as if you're a driver that's bit hesitant for reasons of safety and you're in a freeway acceleration lane trying to decide if you can really match speed well enough to SAFETY merge into the upcoming opening in 60-70 MPH traffic.

So you're rolling along at ~45MPH but lift the throttle to coastdown while you look over your shoulder to see if there is room to merge. Hey, there's one, apply gas to accelerate...

Oops, misjudged, opening was too close, lift-throttle and repeat over the shoulder procedure.

After about three times, possibly only one, of lift-throttle each followed quickly by brief periods of re-acceleration you will know if your transaxle is subject to the 1-2 second delay/hesitation "to protect the drive train"

Your DBW system is being used to prevent the engine from increasing its torque level, acceleration capability, if the transaxle cannot complete a REQUIRED downshift quickly enough.

Toyota thinks it's better to have you risk your life rather than incur the cost of buying you a new transaxle at 80-100,000 as they are having to do, have done, with many '99 RX300s.

My guess is that there is NO Camry built after late 2002 that will pass the above test.
    The Toyota TSB issued in the spring of 2003 seems to indicate the problem existed, began, with the 2002 Camry and I don't think we have yet seen enough input to say the problem has been solved even with the 2008 model.
  • nathan118nathan118 Member Posts: 31
    My Camry is a June '07 manufacture date, and it still drives like a pile. Take it for a long test drive and pay attention to the pathetic transmission. This is the most unsmooth drive I've ever had. I wish I'd spent more time driving it and paying attention to the details instead of assuming it was the almighty Camry and nothing could go wrong.
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    Amen to that! I would agree that this is worst transmission I have experienced in any car. I have owned many GM's and bought the Camry on reputation.
    I too wish I would of driven more before buying. Toyota isn't everything it's crack up to be.
    And then they don't want to admit or fix the issues.
    Very frustrating!!!
    Nathan,

I'm sorry to hear that about your car. I purchased mine in November of last year and I don't have any problems whatsoever. I stomp on the gas and the car goes.....no hesitation, no delay....and, my car accelerates and shifts very smoothly. I've owned two camrys prior to this one, and a 3 series bmw. This car is truly the best so far.
    Is it possible that GM and Toyota build different engines? Not trying to be a smart [non-permissible content removed]. All cars do not drive the same, what you think is "abnormal" may be normal to many drivers.

For example, an accord drives differently than a camry, and a corvette drives differently than a bmw. Different vehicles have different throttle responses.

If all of the hundreds of thousands of camry owners had these problems than it would be a different story. I know some owners are having problems/issues, but from a business standpoint that is acceptable. Thats sucks for some owners and it sucks Toyota isn't doing more for them, but no vehicle has zero problems or issues. Thats why an extensive test drive and looking the vehicle over with a magnifying glass is so important. Toyota should be doing more to help people experiencing problems. Its BS that they aren't. They won't really care if they lose a few thousand customers though. If they were losing hundreds of thousands of customers than they probably would do something.
    "Toyota should be doing more to help people experiencing problems..."

What if, as I have long proposed, the "problem" exists in each and every FWD vehicle Toyota or Lexus has manufactured, say, in the past 5 years, or maybe going all the way back to '98. '98 would be the case for some FWD vehicles, the RX300 for instance. Or what if, as many diverse (marque wise) posts on the various internet forums suggest, the problem is industry-wide.

But let's also suppose that this "problem" really began as a relatively simple fix for a HUGE safety issue involving FWD vehicles on an adverse roadbed surface.

Wheel lockup resulting in skidding due to engine compression braking is, can be, a fairly beniegn event in a RWD vehicle, you still have stearing control.

But with FWD...PRAY!

How long ago was it that I first took note of the advice(***) of the AAA regarding automatic transmissions in FWD vehicles, 10 years? 12? 15?

*** Should engine compression braking result in wheel lockup and/or skidding in a FWD vehicle be prepared to quickly slip the shifter into neutral.

The automotive insurance industry has ALWAYS been a champion of ABS, and now VSC. Suppose the insurance industry, being in an absolute perfect position to do so, some years ago started looking into the where and why of ABS not performing as well in practice as theory had indicated.

We know, absolutely, that since the front wheels do about 70% of the braking and 100% of the directional control then ABS is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT at the front than at the rear.

And when did the ABS safety aspect statistics first begin to add up AGAINST FWD? Mid-ninties, maybe. When did ABS become dominant, so prevalent, that the statistics could be meaningful?

Would you, as a high powered, highly compensated, insurance industry executive, BITE the hand that feeds you? Would you publically announce that statistics were beginning to indicate that FWD was the sole reason, "tipping the balance"(***1), that ABS safety statistics were not playing out as hoped?

NOT...!

***1 Didn't I read somewhere a few years ago that single vehicle "run off the road" accidents tipped the balance against ABS being on the plus side of the safety factor?

Hmmm..

FWD, Engine braking, ABS non-functional, skidding, no stearing control...run off the road...

But you might go to a group of automotive industry executives and tell them that something had to be done, but QUICKLY!

Nothing has had more influence on me in this matter than the US patent granted to Ford regarding design techniques to be used in the FWD Escape and Mariner hybrids. The patent makes it quite clear that Ford was/is concerned that the hybrid's regenerative braking can have adverse safety effects in freezing weather and also adversely affect the functionality of the vehicle's anti-lock braking system.

If regenerative braking on the front wheels can have that much of an adverse affect on safety then clearly so might actual engine compression braking.

So, if you want a FWD or front biased AWD vehicle then get one with a CLUTCH and learn how and when to use it.

At least until the engineers figure out how to couple your brain directly to the drive train!
    Good morning to all:
    I have been following this issue since I purchased my 2007 V6 XLE Camry in January. Prior to purchasing the V6 Camry, I also tested the four cylinder model on the same road surface that I tested the V6. (It was a mixture of both highway driving and city driving.) There were no shifting problems with either vehicle. (I am NOT saying that there are not problems with some vehicles, but something does not seem right with this entire situation.)

QUESTION:
    How many 2007 Toyota Camrys were sold in the United States since they hit the showroom floor? ----- Out of that number, how many vehicles have the problems associated with this board?

MY OWN OBSERVATIONS DRIVING THIS VEHICLE:
    1.) I cannot drive this "drive by wire vehicle" like I operated my former 2003 4 cylinder Honda Accord. The Accord had a positive connection between the accelerator and the throttle body!
    2.) After taking delivery of the Camry in January, I was returning home from a "sales show," in a bad snow storm. While making a right turn from a dead stop on a country road, I "feathered the accelerator" to get through the deep snow accumulation, and I was instanty aware that you CANNOT ISSUE RAPID ACCELERATOR COMMANDS, to a "Drive By Wire Vehicle," like I was able to do with the Honda Accord. There is a "delay" in the response to the accelerator movement, and it is VERY NOTICEABLE IN THE DEEP SNOW. The results of my accelerator movements, and the delay caused my rear wheels to slide left, as I made the right turn. On the next right turn, I held a steady position on the accelerator,(and if necessary I accelerated slowly), and the vehicle navigated through the snow without a problem.

My point is simple! ----- Is it possible, that we need to be a little more "sensitive" to the operation of the "drive by wire vehicles"? I am sure that if I get into a vehicle from another manufacturer that also has DBW, the operating characteristics will also be slightly different than that of the Toyota Camry.
    Sunday, I was merging into highway traffic from a "dead stop". I waited for an opportunity to enter the highway, and I pressed hard on the accelerator. The vehicle accelerated rapidly and shifted smoothly till I reached highway speed. With a DBW vehicle the driver cannot make "choppy moves" from the accelerator to the brake, and back to the accelerator. This translates into anticipating moves and conditions on the highway, and leaving room in the front of your vehicle. Yes, there might be some Camry transmission that have a problem, but I think some of the problems are poor driving habits on the part of the operator!

Best regards to all! ----- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):):D
    Yes, I have contacted corporate toyota. They told me that they depend on their local dealerships to diagnose and fix any problems with Toyotas. Since my local dealer says there is no problem, they can only suggest arbirtation. I had the service manager from my local dealer test drive my car. On the test drive the car downshifted several times (sometimes 2 gears) on a slight inclined highway. I told him that I did not experience this with any other camry that I have owned. He maintains this is normal shifting for this 5 spd auto. transmission.
    Further, he also experienced the lag in acceleration, but told me this is normal because this car has "drive by wire".
    After reading many of the same experiences with the 2007 camry transmission in this forum, I believe my car has the same problems of the earlier manufactured 2007 camrys even though mine was manufactured in December 06, which is after the dates of 2 TSB's that were supposed to fix models mfg prior to Dec. 06. My dealer says that any TSB's issued prior to 12/06 have been incorporated into my car. I am not encouraged to read re experiences with arbitration with Toyota.