Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Transmission Questions

Comments

• bmarkbmark Member Posts: 52
    Yes I have heard that the problem is still going on even in the 2008
  • bobveebobvee Member Posts: 17
    I bought a 08 Camry SE with the V6 2 weeks ago. Have close to 1000 miles on it now. No problem with the 6 speed auto trans. Shifts fine. Traded in a 2004 Saab 93 and at the moment, have no regrets. Camry is very fast. Fuel consumption is approx. 25 MPG overall - still in break-in phase.
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    Thanks for the update. Please keep in touch and let us know how it's going.
    Do you feel it is quiet on the Hwy ? I had problems with wind noise in my 07.
    Thanks for the update
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    from this topic. I came in trying to help but seems you don't want help. All I hear is moaning and complaining but doing nothing about it. The contagion theory at work. ;)
    Here, maybe this one will be better than the current one:

• joel16joel16 Member Posts: 64
    Hey mackabee, I must have missed something! Why are you leaving this forum topic? I keep checking this topic, and others on Edmunds, from time to time, and see that people are finding useful information, making good sugestions, and doing some of the things suggested on this forum, like performing the transmission TSB for the 4-cylinder. Did you kick someone's dog? Pee in someone's punch bowl?
  • teamtboteamtbo Member Posts: 78
    bohica223, any luck getting a TV station to do a report on the Camry transmission issues? How many service records were sent to you?

Since I mailed you, I had a software reflash and have proof that the shift flare is still happening. Let me know if you would like these repair orders as well.
  • palpakpalpak Member Posts: 21
    Would you like to e-mail the Toyota North America President? a simple google search would give us his contact details.

shigeru_hayakawa@mail.toyota.co.jp

Though I'm not sure if this is still active.
  • joe152joe152 Member Posts: 2
    Joel thanks for the info. I took my Camry in and they did the update.This has fixed the problem.
    Thanks again!!!!
    Joe152, you're very welcome. If your car is running like mine, it should have virtually no hesitation, and drive like a completely different car. In fact, I am surprised at how much power the 4cyl has. I don't miss a 6 cylinder at all for 95% of driving situations. Now, if they could fix the cruise control problem, this would be a great car.
  • camryowner1camryowner1 Member Posts: 62
    Joel16, I agree this would be a great car if they fixed the cruise control problem. Lost my arbitration (no surprise) as arbitrator said that cruise control/downshifting problem was not a safety issue, and did not affect the value of the car. As the hearing was held in the local dealer's Service Manager's office, and the arbitrator actually sat at the Service Manager's desk, I wonder if she really could provide an unbiased opinion. Oh well, nothing ventured--nothing gained. I guess I will just drive this 07 Camry LE 4cyl. on trips which do not involve many hills so that I won't notice this annoying downshifting until I trade it for something else. I wonder if the 08 Honda Accord is a good alternative. Anybody know?
    I was just reading Car and Driver Magazine, their review of the new Nissan Rogue (small SUV). They were talking about the CVT transmission. Here's a quote from the article "Highway cruising is where the Rogue and its transmission work best. Secure on-center steering feel, a firm but compliant ride, and quiet cabin combine to effortlessly count down highway miles. At 70mph the Rogue is turning a fuel efficient and hushed 2200rpm. Were this car equipped with a conventional automatic, such tall gearing would likely result in the annoying habit of constantly downshifting (or upshifting) between the two top gears. In the Rogue, the CVT seamlessly raises engine revs as the transmission moves imperceptibly through its ratios. Highway passing is a smooth experience." Interesting comment given the 4cyl Camry's "annoying habit".
    Joel16----Thanks for the info. Did they ever hit the nail on the head re "annoying habit of constantly downshifting(or upshifting)". I will take a look at the Nissan Rogue as a replacement for this annoying 07 Camry.
    Actually, I am going to keep my 2007 Camry XLE for awhile. I would have traded it in by now if the TSB hadn't shown up to fix the transmission hesitation. I did test drive the 190HP Accord 4 door, and thought it had plenty of power. I am not sure I like the way it looks; nice interior, exterior seems to be a combination of quite a few cars; just looks like it's not one whole car. Maybe it will grow on me over time. If I did trade, I would go back to the drawing board and look at a small SUV, like the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, etc. I would also take the time to look seriously at Ford/Lincoln. They have some nice looking cars now.
  • cflyclarkcflyclark Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Camry le that i purchased in april of his year and are having a problems with play in the gas pedal and shifting problems. I have been to the dealership 3 times and two out of those they supposedly installed the update to the computer system that was supposed to fix the problem but didn't he third time tey told me there was nothing they could do I have since contacted the Toyota experience center which whom gave me a claim number and haven't heard from them since so i filed a claim with arbitration and still no response. No I have plans to see and attorney but the only problem is is that my vehicle is a leased vehicle and the lawyer says that he hasn't had to deal with a leased one. Can anyone out there help as to where to go from here and are they any issues being resolved with toyota?
    To recap, I bought a 2007 Camry XLE V6 with 300 miles on Feb. 14, 2007 as a Birthday gift for my wife (Yah, her b-day is on Valentine's Day). The transmission and torque converter were replaced on April 24th due the shift flare (TC002-07). Then, we had the ECU reflashed on September 14th (TC007-07). The shift flare still exists. I got a call from the service department today and they want to replace the transmission again. This will be attempt #3.

The intersting thing is, the service advisor said that the replacement transmission I received in April (per TC002-07) was the same model as the original tranny (meaning there was no fix in it for the shift flare). He said the new one that will be installed tomorrow does have a fix for the shift flare....Hmm....I wonder why there isn't any new TSBs then??

Anyway, once I know the part number of the new tranny, I will post it.

I wonder how much time I have spent on this car with only 4500 miles on it!?!?
    Thanks teamtbo, Any Info and facts you can get on the new fix would be well apreciated.
    Thanks for keeping us informed.
    PS I agree whith where is the new TSB?
    You're welcome chuck.

I took a look at the two TSBs and compared the transaxle assembly part numbers. The part number in TC002-07 (January 07 - Obsolete) and TC007-07 (May 07 - Active) are exactly the same: 30510-33530. So, unless there is a new TSB, it doesn't appear this transmission is revised.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    And therein lies the "RUB".

Cars without a CVT MUST upshift/downshift quite often in order to try and match the FE of a CVT equipped vehicle.

Annoying YES!

But regretably for a good "cause".
    wwest----- Since my 2003 Camry LE 4cyl/4spd automatic gets better FE (fuel efficiency) than my 2007 Camry LE 4cyl/5spd automatic, and without any annnoying upshift/downshift, I wish Toyota would have had a better design for 2007 transmission. Do you think Toyota will design a CVT to replace the "BADLY DESIGNED TRANSMISSION IN THE 2007 CAMRY"? A great PR effort on their part would be to replace these annoying transmissions in the 2007 Camry with a CVT. Do you agree?
    Yes, great, GREAT PR, but at "too" great a cost.

But maybe 2010....??

And while your 2003 was most likely "just" a 4 speed your 2007 is more likely a 6, or maybe even a 7 speed.

1st/2nd/3rd/3rd+LU/4th/4th+LU/5th+LU(OD)

LU: Torque converter lock-up clutch engaged.
    wwest---Wish they had stayed with the 4spd automatic transmission for the 2007 Camry 4cyl like the one in my 2003 Camry 4cyl.. No FE was gained by going to the very annoying 5spd automatic transmission, at least not in my 07 Camry LE 4cyl/5spd automatic. As you say replacing these annoying transmissions is probablly too expensive, but it sure would help them in the loyal public support and advertising area. Just think how much bad publicity they are getting out of the dissappointing design of the 5spd transmission. I wonder if Toyota has thought of how much "BAD" word-of-mouth advertising has come from this BADLY DESIGNED TRANSMISSION WITHOUT CVT. According to a recent TV news announcement, Toyota sales are down some 40% this year. Could it be a coincidence?
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    Do you own a vehicle with a CVT? My friend owns the new Altima with one and says he hates the transmission. He doesn't like how it "feels," or the lack of feeling I guess.

My 2007 LE I4 Camry transmission is fine. Its not badly designed.....it just that some people are having problems. I'd like to know the actual percentage of owners with those problems...too bad there is no way to find out.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    "According to a recent TV news announcement, Toyota sales are down some 40% this year. Could it be a coincidence? "

Completely wrong. See post 1228 in "Toyota in 2007" Forum. They are UP 3.8%.

About the FE - hard to say whether the transmission is or is not gaining FE, because the weights of the car could be different, coefficient of drag could be different, driving conditions, etc. etc.

Most new automatics are going to shift more (I see other car manufacturers have this complaint as well). That's one of the reasons I have manuals. Honda just came out with the brand new Accord with a regular automatic, not a CVT.

The latest TSB seems to have resolved the hesitation issue.

Sorry you are disappointed!
    I wonder how much pre-market testing was done on the very annoying 5spd transmission that was put in the 07 Camry. Yes, latest TSB fixed the hesitation problem, but this problem, along with the annoying downshift/upshift (with cruise control engaged), was present when the car was manufactured. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I am truly amazed that Toyota could manufacture and sell a car with these annoying features. I really do not care what other manufacturers did, my loyalty and trust was in Toyota who built my 1992,2000,and 2003 Camrys, which were such outstanding cars that they remain in my family to this day. Maybe by 2010 they will develop a better designed transmission to put in the Camry, or go back to the best 4spd automatic on the market.
    stlpike07----Does your car display the very noticeable and annoying (at least to some of us with 07 Camrys) downshift/upshift when encountering any type of hill or upgrade? During my arbitration hearing, the Toyota rep stated that all 07 Camrys were designed to display this performance. Since all 07 Camrys were "designed" to perform in this manner, you can't really say that "some people are having problems". Every 07 Camry owner must have the same "problem with a badly designed" 5spd automatic transmission, ie. if this Toyota rep's statement was true. If your car does not perform as described here, you are the owner of a 07 Camry with a differently designed 5spd automatic, and I would like to know if your car was assembled in Japan or USA. (VIN starts with J for Japanese assembled models).
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    cammryowner1,

I had the cruise control problem initially from day one with my early production LE I4, but it was resolved with the first performance TSB. Both the cruise control and hesitiation problems have been resolved completely for what seems like 9 months now, but I am scheduled Monday for oil change and installation of the updated TSB (figure I might as well have the latest software).

The cruise control problem with my vehicle was absolutely horrible initially, so it was very evident when it was resolved with the first TSB. Why it has not resolved your cruise control issue I would have no clue, doesn't make sense to me unless it is also related to other factors or parameters (type/quality of fuel, altitude, rolling friction of tires, some other sensor, who knows......).
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    right, could be revision of cruise control module, tcm, ecu, who knows?
    Both the 2007 Mazda minivan and the 2007 Chrysler Sebring that I drove on vacation in HI this year exhibited an extraordinary level of "shiftiness", not as bad in cruise control but still annoying, VERY.

Until I realized the Sebring did the same in CC I thought maybe I had a bad case of "nervous foot".
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi All:
    I just took my vehicle into the dealer for its 2,500 mile interval oil and filter service. The Camry now has 17,000+ miles, and it is problem free! I drive it on a daily basis, and I do not have the "transmission issue" that is being described on these boards! The engine is very quiet, and I use 87 octane fuel. On a road trip I get 30mpg with the A/C on! I tend to get better mpg on "name brand fuel" as opposed to "off-brand fuels." Off brand fuels give me only 28mpg on the highway. Something is different in some of the fuels on the market! My servicing dealer is outstanding.
    Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):) :confuse:
    Hello Dwayne, your statements tell us that Toyota has a real problem because there are many of us including my 07 Camry v-6 that are not getting the gas mileage you are getting and we have shift flare problems. So again the question Toyota needs to answer is why are some cars having problems and some aren't?
    Hope your car continues to be problem free.
    Chuck
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    The mileage is odd and it's interesting that you too note a difference between name brand, quality fuels and fuels containing more alcohols. Just made a fast middle of the night trip back from Youngstown at 70-72 mph with AC on and showed 32.5 in a larger leSabre. Shell gasoline was used.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

djm2--- Would like to know if your camry was assembled in Japan (VIN starts with J). When encountering a hill with cruise control engaged, does your car shift down while instantly increasing rpm of engine? Mine does it many times depending on the length of the hill. Toyota says this is designed to do this on ALL Camrys. Very interested in your answer.
    Joel16 & CamryOwner1,

Well I just got back from having the latest TSB (EG036-07) applied to my LE-I4, and that is one smooth running vehicle now. As mentioned before, the original TSB (from a year ago) had fixed my cruise control and hesitation issues, but I asked them to do this new update since I was there getting an oil change. I figured since the TSB was available, I'd do it. I drove all the way home @65 on cruise, and it didn't downshift even once. That same stretch would downshift 20-30 times, pre-original TSB mode. City driving shifting and power is flawless.

I know you guys are still having problems with cruise, and I can only speculate that for some reason the dealers didn't get your software TSB loaded correctly. Have either of you been successful in getting the dealer (or a different dealer) to 'reload' the TSB?
    kiawah---- I think your speculation must be correct. I have only had the latest TSB installed because my camry was assembled on 12/06 and supposedly the other TSB's had already been implemented as part of the mfg process of my car. I have only been to one dealer. My car has the cruise control downshift problem as you described in your pre-original TSB mode. Sounds like you have a much better local Toyota dealer than either of mine here in Charleston, SC. Is your dealer very far from me?
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    camryowner1,

My car does not display the "downshift/upshift" while driving. My VIn starts with a J, so it was assembled in Japan. I drive a 2007 LE I4 AT.

A Toyota reps goal is to "minimize" any problem or issue, or try to explain that it is "normal" or non-existent. Basically, if you have a problem it is their job to BS you and tell you there isn't a problem.....not great customer service if you ask me. If you have a problem, then obviously there is a problem. It is a shame and disheartening that they will not try to help you, even if they deny there are any problems.
    Hey Kiawah....glad to hear your car is running well!! I have an appointment this week (if work doesn't get in the way) to talk to the service manager about the cruise problem. Based on what you've said, you had the original TSB which fixed the cruise and hesitation problem, and then this newest TSB which made the car run even better (let me know if I am wrong here). I had the latest TSB installed which dramatically changed the way the car runs, drives, shifts. As I've said before, it is surprising sometimes how much power this 4 cyl has and how drivable it is. However, I get the cruise problem. I suspect the fix for the cruise software was not included in this latest TSB probably because it should have been installed at build (1Q2007). Also, it may be the speeds I set the cruise at. The problem seems to be worse when I set the cruise between 70-75 versus a lower speed. The combination of road grade and (lack of) engine HP may just be a little too much. I haven't had a chance yet to check the cruise at speeds set at say 75-80, or 60-70. I will in the next two weeks. Again, that is quite a change that last TSB made!! I spoke to someone Sunday when I filled up (gas) who has a 2008 4 cyl Camry LE, and she said she read about the hesitation and cruise problems, but hasn't detected either.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi All:
    I will try to answer all the questions in one posting! ---- My Camry was assembled in Japan. (Maybe that has something to do with the way it operates?) I have a unique way of driving this vehicle, so as such, I might be masking the "flare" issue. When I start the engine in the morning, (in warm weather), I let it run for about five minutes before I drive off. I place the trasmission selector in manual 4, and the transmission shift from one to four. (I am riding in city streets where the speed limit is 25 to 30 mph!) When I get the the highway, I place the selector into drive position. When the cold weather arrives, I allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature before I drive off. (I know that this is not suppose to be good for the engine, but I have doing this all my life, and my vehicles never use any oil between oil and filter changes, and the engine and transmission seem to operate better once the engine has warmed up!) I never use cruise control! The traffic in my area is not conducive to the use of this feature! I just hold a steady speed with the accelerator. In terms of the "off brand gas" I have been using EnRite 87 and getting about 28mpg. When I switched to Getty, I went up to 30+mpg on the same trip! I think the additive package is different, in addition to the alcohol content! One thing that I have noticed about my vehicle is that when I want to pass another vehicle on the highway, I get better performance if I press the accelerator slowly, rather than "punching it down". The transmission downshifts, and the vehicle takes off like a "bat out of hell!" I can go from 55 to 70 in seconds. If I "back off slightly on the accelerator," the transmission then upshifts! I hope that I have answered all of your questions.
    Best regards! ---------- Dwayne :shades: ;):) :confuse:
    P.S.
    I would love to take this vehicle on the open road to see what it could really do in terms of "top speed"! I believe that this vehicle is very capable of cruising at 100mph without any effort! At 70mph it is like a diesel locomotive on a set of rails! It handles very well at high speed!
    I picked up my Camry today after the 2nd transmission replacement. As I suspected, the part number is the same as the time I had it replaced in April (30510-33530).

Driving out of the service department's parking lot, I heard a grinding or rattling sound coming from the steering column area or floor board (sounded like static on a radio). It was pretty loud and my wife and I were worried that the tranny was going to lock up. I had remembered a TSB where there can be excessive engine noise after a tranny replacement due to a dislodged steering column hold shield at the base of the steering column (EG039-06). So, I will need to bring it back to get that dealt with. Can you believe it? I am sure glad I hadn't paid for this tranny work! Also, I noticed a few small shift flares as my wife and I were trying to figure out what the noise was (but I was sort of distracted so I will need to investigate that further). I am sort of glad that I need to bring it back for the noise because I am hoping that will count as attempt #4...not sure. Lemon Law here we come...Lord willing.
  • chuckhoychuckhoy Member Posts: 420
    Assuming you go forward with the lemon law and win, what cars are you going to look at? I assume it will not be another Camry.
    That is a great question - and no, it is definitely not going to be a Camry. My wife has always loved the Lexus RX350 (mostly because of the look and she would like some more room in the back). I hate to support Toyota again after all of this heart ache but there are no other cars that she really likes. I am keeping my eyes on the RX350 forums to see what types of issues they have - no flares but some people are complaining about hesitation issues. ;-( I have a 2007 Toyota Tacoma and don't have any real issues with it.

Anyone know what kind of a tranny the Lexus RX350 has? If it were the same as my Tacoma, I would not hesitate to buy it.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I wonder how much pre-market testing was done on the very annoying 5spd transmission that was put in the 07 Camry.

Plenty. I just drove an 07 Camry over 600 miles and did not experience any "hesitation" or annoying downshift or upshift with the cruise control on. It works just like my other Camry, the 93, the 97, and so on. I believe you may have never noticed this on the other Camrys you own and just became "aware" of the upshift and downshift with the cruise control after reading these forums. :blush: As a matter of fact, this is the best Camry ever made. The ride was smooth and quiet, a/c worked like a charm. It had bluetooth so I paired my phone to it and talked my head off. Next time I'm renting an XLE V6 and try to see this so called "flare up". ;)image
    Mackabee

Mackabee
  • ccostableccostable Member Posts: 55
    As a matter of fact, this is the best Camry ever made

says the Toyota salesman
  • bmarkbmark Member Posts: 52
    Yeah this dude sounds like he sells Toyota's. There have been numeous articles in the Washington Post Auto Section about people having problems with their Transmissions.
    No, he DOES sell Toyotas. Look over in the "Stories From the Sales Frontlines" and you will see many posts from him about selling Toyotas. Makes you take his comments about car makers with a cubic yard of salt.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you guys had followed mackabee's postings as long as I have - and that would be for about 8 years now - you would have seen that he is a straight shooter from the start, good or bad.

You may have different opinions and different experiences than he has, that certainly makes sense and isn't a problem. But simply dismissing his comments because he is a sales person and therefore implicitly not to be trusted deprives you of some very valuable input.
    I agree with you re: mackabee. If he has been selling Toyotas for awhile, it absolutely makes sense that he is proud of the car line. At my dealership, there are some people who are new, or come and go, but many have been there for more than 10 years in both sales and service. I think they are sincere when they say they are proud of the brand, and stand by the company. On the whole, although not always exciting, Toyotas are reliable transportation at a reasonable price. There are some disappointments from the company in the past years, like not fessing up to the oil sludge problem quickly. However, I have friends who literally NEVER change their oil or filters, just keep topping it off, never rotate their tires or service their cars at specified intervals...and, even though I refuse to ride in them, I know of more than one that has more than 100K miles on it. How the heck they pass inspection is another subject. I know it's frustrating for those of us who are honest, but some of the pain we're experiencing is due to the unscrupulous people who will lie, cheat and steal without shame. This is why we get scanned every time we walk in and out of most stores. Keep your opinions coming mackabee!!
    It was never my intent to besmirch or sully the reputation of Mackabee. I just wanted to point out that he DOES have a vested interest in having Toyotas seen in a favorable light. I'm sure it would cause people to view my posts differently if they found out I worked for a Saturn dealership. (I don't work for, with or in association with any car dealer or car related entity)

It just looks differently when somebody is having all sorts of problems with a new Camry and he posts all sorts of flowery praise about it. It's the best Camry ever... I've never heard of any problems like this... Then you find out it is from a Toyota salesman... Sorry, it just looks odd. It looks, well, odd... It may be the gospel truth, but looks odd.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Another way to look at this would be that because he is a salesman he is in contact with a lot of owners and they very well may represent a broader cross-section than a message board would since people who are unhappy are way more likely to seek out a place to seek solutions and commiserate with others.

In any case, this is not a discussion about one of our members. Let's get back to the topic here.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Anyone who has been selling Toyota Camry sedans for over a year, and says he is not aware of transmission hesitations, or "so called" transmission flares, is ,,,,,well,,,,,,a car salesman. JMHO.
    So Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?