Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Hard and Soft Tops

Comments

• davedenndavedenn Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for your help. I finally figured out that the doors actually just lift off! Fortunately, the mirrors are attached to the hinges so they stayed put.

Dave :)
  • grizzly6grizzly6 Member Posts: 5
    What year hard top will fit a 2005 wrangler.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    97-06, BUT 2002 and earlier have, I THINK, a slightly different placement for the hood clamps.

Additionally, if your rear gate already has a vent in it, you likely want the top that has no vent integrated.

But they will all FIT.

-Paul
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Additionally, if your rear gate already has a vent in it, you likely want the top that has no vent integrated.

Vent combinations:

One (tailgate or top) :)

Two (tailgate and top) :)

None :sick:
  • pumpkinking329pumpkinking329 Member Posts: 1
    I recently broke the slider on my 2005 wrangler unlimited's back window. The teeth have gnarled and the slider gets caught on them often, last time I tried wrenching it back and must have pulled a little hard. Is there any cheap way to fix the teeth so they stop catching and put a new slider on the zipper without having to replace the whole top?
    It may be possible to reshape the damaged teeth with a scalpel and a fine file, but it's doubtful.
    I would just have a new zipper sewn in. Any upholstery shop (marine/RV/domestic/custom) will do it; and the appearance should be almost seamless! :):blush:
    No pun intended. :)

-Paul
  • justin44justin44 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at purchasing a wrangler unlimited. Saw an 07 4dr sahara hard top auto with 31000miles for 23,000. What would be a good offer on this 19500? Or would leasing new be better?
  • mudwranglermudwrangler Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an older Wrangler and it did not come with an owners manual.Will someone please help me with the proper way to remove the soft top and also how do you remove the frame around the half doors with the soft top down for that open air feeling!
  • sheff2409sheff2409 Member Posts: 2
    I've read from the First page to the Last and didn't see this question answered (but it's late, maybe I missed it...): on 2007 newer Unlimited Wranglers with the Dual Top Option, is it possible to have both the hard top and soft top installed at the same time? I don't want to have to store the soft top during the "off season" (live in WI). Thanks in advance.
    edited April 2010
    ......is it possible to have both the hard top and soft top installed at the same time?

Can it be done......yes, they're delivered that way with a protective cover on.
    Should it be done fulltime......no, because it will wear the hood and take up a lot of space.

From page 118 of the 2007 Owners Manual:

• akcijasakcijas Member Posts: 13
    I'm looking at buying a 2010 Wrangler Sport (not an Unlimited) and want to get the Dual Top Option. Living in the northeast I want the hardtop for the long winters and the soft top for the summers. One Jeep salesman told me that they do not recommend removing the soft top when using the hard top because it is too difficult to take off and put on. He even said that they often have customers come back to the Dealership to have the mechanics put the soft top back on and that there's no excess wear/damage from keeping both the soft top and hard top on at the same time . I had a hard time believing that so I checked at another dealership. Their story was different. He said the hard top isn't worth the extra money, as the new soft tops are quieter, dryer and warmer than the older ones.

What's the truth ?

Also, if I buy only the soft top now, can I buy a freedom hardtop later?

Thanks for any and all help.
    edited May 2010
    What's the truth ?

See the except from the Owners Handbook in the previous post (#171).
    Salesmen are employed for their selling skills, not their technical knowledge.

Also, if I buy only the soft top now, can I buy a freedom hardtop later?

Yes, they should be coming back on stream now, but they had been unavailable even to Jeep for a while; hence the sales spiel about how the soft top was just as good.

It's an apples and oranges issue. They both fulfill the same function but in different ways and the choice is personal and subjective.
    If you can't choose, get both. It's also cheaper to get the dual top option than to get the tops separately.
    Thanks for the reply. I did see the post (171) but that was for an Unlimited. I thought maybe the answer was different for a 2 door versus the Unlimited.

In any case, I thought the salesman was full of &^% and you verified that.

I will likely get both tops. Problem is I cannot find a Wrangler in stock that has the options I want (dual tops, tow package, etc.) and doesn't have the options I don't want (Navigation, etc.). So I may have to order it. Never done that before.

Thanks again.
    Order it. You get it the way YOU want it.

I've done it on several cars and it really makes it yours. :)

THEN you can MODIFY IT - making it even more personal!

-Paul
    edited May 2010
    I probably will order a new Jeep for the reasons you cite.

I've read in other postings that the 2007 - 2008 Freedom hardtops frequently leaked. And many trips to the dealer didn't fix the leaks.

Does anyone know whether the 2010s Wranglers with Freedom tops still leak or did they finally fix the design problems?

I wanted the hardtop because I assumed it would be quieter and warmer in the winter. Is that true? Is there a big difference between the soft top and the hardtop in terms of noise and warmth? Living the northeast, the winters are long, windy and cold. But if there's not a big difference, especially if the hardtops still leak, I'd be happy to save money and not get the dual top option.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
  • busman01busman01 Member Posts: 46
    I have had my 2010 2dr Sahara since 09/09. I have the 3-pieice freedom top and have experienced no leaks thus far. It has been exposed to numerous car washes and lots of bouts of heavy rain.

I can't compare it to a soft top, but my hard top is extremely quiet. I use the bluetooth all the time with no speaking/hearing issues. The voice recognition works fine as well.

The heater/AC works great. My granddaughters ride in the back and are comfortable in all seasons.

I did not go with soft top as most of my family are indoor types and I did not want to spend too much time taking the top up and down. It's all a matter of choice and I am completely satisfied with the hard top.

Good luck.
    Busman, Thanks for the reply. I just got back from test driving a hardtop and was very surprised with how quiet it was. And it is raining and very windy today. Even better was that it was dry -- no leaks. Maybe they finally fixed the leak issues.

But since I also want the soft top, I'll need to order the Jeep versus buying off the lot. I haven't seen a dual top optioned car at a dealer yet.

Thanks again for the reply.
    One thing I forgot to mention: when I ordered my Wrangler, I had them install the MOPAR heated seats option. Each front seat has a seat warmer with 3 settings,
    LO-MED-HI. You will break out in a sweat on a cold day in the HI setting.
  • rpullenrpullen Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 04 Wrangler X and don't seem to have the same soft top that is discussed in my manual. I can't get the front to release and can't figure out what a traction bar is. The manual says to pull it out the back.

I have a full door, not the half door listed in the directions in my manual.
    Your Jeep is about six years old so it's quite possible that you may have an aftermarket top rather than the original one.

It's hard to tell without a pic! ;)
  • bluejeep19bluejeep19 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 Jeep Soft top for my 2002 wrangler. The top itself looks to be in brand new condition, but the top sits very loosely on my jeep. The clamp bars are way too easy to put in and the back of the jeep is almost sagging it's so loose. The hardware and windows are all from a 2004. Is there anything i can do to tighten the top down so it doesn't fly off, or is it just stretched out?
    Pics would really help, but I assume that you have each of the corners attached at the back as well and that the looseness is front to back.

One thing I did when I installed my new top was attach it to the header wrong. It folds kinda goofy so you don't see the plastic tab. If you do that wrong, the top will be loose.

You should be able to look on Bestop's website. Look for their Replace-A-Top and get the instructions. That should walk you through installation.

-Paul
  • trapperjj1trapperjj1 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a new 2010 unlimited it has "2" two tops how hard is it to remove the hard top? Can "2" people do it. How heavy is it? The one thing i don't like it comes with no owners manual 6 to 8 weeks to get one from jeep. Any help will be greatly appt:

Regards Trapperjj1
    Don't know why a manual was not in the vehicle but follow the link below to get to the jeep page for downloading the manuals in .pdf format.

http://www.jeep.com/en/search_results/?q=user%20manuals

They are identical to the print versions.

Enjoy the Wrangler.
  • ross16ross16 Member Posts: 5
    The 2010 wrangler unlimited no longer comes with a print manual. The manual is now delivered with the vehicle in a DVD format. I found that the Freedom top was not that heavy when i removed it but it was very clumsy. You need two or better yet 3 people to handle it. I also found the instructions for raising the soft top to be lacking. To install and put the soft top up took me over 2 hours.
    I got a used hard top what do you use to clean it, I have been told you can't
    use just any polish. :confuse:
    I have a 2005 wrangler with a soft top I got used and it heated great .
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    That's been my experience with my 1999 Wrangler. I've never run anything but a soft top and the heater has absolutely no trouble keeping things warm- even at 5F or below.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• mrgsjeepmrgsjeep Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    I have a 99 wrangler sport and its time to replace the soft top, looking on some advice about what top to buy... kinda like the tinted windows wondering witch tops to look at and witch ones to stay clear off
    Bestop, if you want the original style and quality.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    What mac said.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

This is one time that I may differ a bit from mac.

Bestop Replace-A-Top is a GREAT option and the route I took when I replaced my 97 SE's cruddy top a few years ago. However, if you're going to spend that kind of money for the top, you may want to look at the Viking fastback frameless soft top. The rear windows actually roll/fold up into the top for storage and do NOT require the use of the original soft top frame and essentially works as a safari top too.

http://winchline.com/soft-tops.htm

If I had to do it again, this is the route I'd likely go.

-Paul
  • bfassettbfassett Member Posts: 17
    Just went from 2007 Wrangler X to 2010 Wrangler Sport.Love the sun rider feature so I don't have to take down the entire soft top.BUT It is a pain in the a** to get back closed.It lacks nearly and inch of reaching front windshield clips.Dealer says it will stretch with age?? I need to take out back window support and flaps, un zip side windows to get it back together,Anyone with similar problems or a solution ??
  • rde1rde1 Member Posts: 1
    bfassett,

am having the same problem with my 2010 - i end up with about inch gaps and i just can't quite get the clips to reach out and grab to pull it forward and lock it back down. I haven't had to take the windows out though - i just release from the back, push it forward and re-lock, then re-hook the back. quite the pain
  • trish357trish357 Member Posts: 2
    oi..Ive only dropped my top twice. The last time scared me so bad its been 5 yrs since...but forgot and dropped it anyway.... now my rear panel teeth are pulling away from each other and i cant get a good zip.....also this episode to get side panels off too to dealership cause the zips on both sides had pulled apart....Im really over the fact im a top down girls but just cant get it up....lol :mad:
  • trish357trish357 Member Posts: 2
    I posted oct 3 about my rear pannel will not zip on my 2004unlimited wrangler. I have rarely put my top down and there is no visible damage to zipper or pannel...Does anyone have problems with the unlimited soft-top.....zipping and proplems with dropping the top or putting the top back up. There was no answer to post 196 so am i doing something wrong?
  • shallopshallop Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited. Had it for 24 days so far. It has been in the dealership shop 4 times because of the leaks from door, center and right side of the roof for total of 19 days and the dealer does not want to admit there is a problem. Three days ago, they fixed the center part, I took it home and on the way back, it started to leak heavier than before. I took it back to the dealer and left it there and said take this garbage back and give me my money. They sare smart and want to buy it back from me for $4,000 less that what I paid for less than a month ago. Car only has 650 mikes!
    There was no answer to post 196 so am i doing something wrong?

I've no idea, I'd have to watch what you're doing to know. :shades:

However, has it never zipped up or is this a new problem?
  • dmacedmace Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased a 2011 Sahara unlimited. Did not realize it had the dual tops. I only wanted the Freedom top. The dealership is now removing the soft top and told me the hard top would definitely leak now. Is this true? I had an 07 Sahara unlimited Freedom top and it never leaked. I will be selling the soft top if anyone is interested.
    Doesn't sound like the kind of dealership I'd want to do business with.
  • cavbearcavbear Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I own a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport...Its great...unless I have the hard top on it..and it RAINS!!!!...I leaks to the point I don't dare put the carpet in...for it gets SOAKED...and winter is coming here in MAINE.....Anyone got any ideas...The soft top is Leak Free...Imagine that Uh????
    As for the orginal tires I have 30x9.5x15...Wranger Goodyear tires..I got 71,236 on the orginal tires...They are GREAT,but Goodyear in their infinite wisdon....they don't make this tire any longer... they changed it to a SRA tread design....and they don't wear as good or even close.....Kind of the same ole' story...if it wears good ....don't make more,,,,they don't make any money($$$$) with tires that perform as these did....Ohh @#$%^ its raining again............ :cry: :lemon:
  • edf4edf4 Member Posts: 65
    dmace;
    if the Jeep came with the dual top package, the soft top is not actually fixed to the Jeep, but the hard top does need to be removed if you want to be able to use your cargo area. However, removing the hard top should have zero affect on whether it leaks or not. Did you buy your Jeep from a Jeep dealer? If so, they should know what they are doing now that this model with the Freedom top has been out for over three years. I have an '07 Unlimirted X with the dual tops and I have NEVER (knock on wood) had a leak with either roof. Also, if you don't want your soft top, don't give it back to the dealer...sell it to back them or to someone else, as they are expensive and there is a market for them.
  • mikeya2112mikeya2112 Member Posts: 6
    I have the Goodyear SRA on my 2008, with 54,000 miles on them and by the looks of the treads, another 15,0000 or 20,000 or better to go. It's amazing how rotating the tires regularly and keeping the proper air pressure in them will make them last for many miles :)

~Mike
    It's amazing how rotating the tires regularly and keeping the proper air pressure in them will make them last for many miles

Absolutely correct. I always rotate mine while the oil is draining, i.e. every three thousand miles.
  • dmacedmace Member Posts: 7
    I did buy my Jeep from a dealer. You would think they'd know what they're doing! But all went well. They removed it and so far no leaks. Thank you so much for getting back to me.
  • osirisra32osirisra32 Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone...hoping someone out there might be able to help
    So typically I use quadratec for a lot of my custom aftermarket upgrades/replacements...the like. However I am replacing some of the soft top hardware components and quadratec only sells the 3rd rear bow assembly for 97-02 models. I own a 2006 Model. So I called the dealership up and they want nearly $600.00 for a steel tube of metal that probably cost less then 100 bucks to produce. Anyone know of any other sources for this part? (preferably for under 600$ lol). Im more then willing to buy it as a custom fab piece...as long as the price is reasonable....

THANKS!!
  • djtordjtor Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Wrangler X that is in need of a new soft top. I was offered a 2002 top in great condition, but was told this would not fit due to model year changes...Can anyone confirm or deny this??
  • gimtargimtar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Sahara unlimited also. It has been a night mare with the passenger side leaking all the time. I wish I would have done more research about this problem. I have taken my truck to the service dept. about 10 times and no one can fix this problem. We should do a class suit. I finally reached out to chrysler and they are trying to help me. :cry:
  • arkansas1arkansas1 Member Posts: 1
    The dealer said there will probably be a recall soon. they said there is a modified gasket that would fix the problem.