Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Hard and Soft Tops

mouthywonmouthywon Member Posts: 1
anyone know anywhere 2 find good prices on Wrangler hardtops in Missouri?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Some of the guys and gals in Jeep Wrangler may be able to help you.

tidester, host
  • ufmikeufmike Member Posts: 4
    I found my used hardtop on eBay. I live in FL, but there were people selling hardtops all over the country. If you keep watching you'll probably find one that goes on auction near you. I got the hardtop for a good deal only $350 bucks, cheaper than my softtop. Good Luck.
  • aschwingleaschwingle Member Posts: 2
    We bought an 05 Wrangler yesterday. We tried for a couple of hours last night to remove the soft top. It doesn't seem like it should be so hard. We removed the rear windows and popped the latches above the windshield. We got the point where we needed to folder it back, but there is a pin of some kind that we can't figure out how to remove or adjust to allow for the fold back. These pins are to the left of the driver's head and the right of the passenger's head. We are new to this. Can someone point us to a previous post that explains it better than the owner's manual? Or can someone gives us some hints or pointers on what we are missing. Thanks!!!!!!
  • cheapjeeppartscheapjeepparts Member Posts: 2
    It is not necessary to remove the pins. When you open the doors you will flip the window channels up/out. This will allow the top to fold back.
  • kginfjeepkginfjeep Member Posts: 8
    If you have an Unlimited Wrangler, then yes those 2 pins must be released. Should just be able to pull them out and lift up slightly. You may need to release tension at rear of soft top to do this, I forget, have only taken off the top a couple of times.
  • aschwingleaschwingle Member Posts: 2
    We do have an Unlimited. We finally gave up and went back to the dealership for help. The pins were nearly impossible to release. They are better now, but we suspect the previous owner rarely, if ever, put the top down.

Thanks for you help!!
  • chico4wdchico4wd Member Posts: 5
    Hello gang!!! I recently bought my dream vehicle. A 1995 Jeep Wrangler. I've had no problems with any of the top removals, but am having some stress getting the bikini top on properly. Any assistance you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I seem to recall some discussion of bikini tops in the main Jeep Wrangler discussion. You may want to take a look there.

tidester, host
    I thought that was about the regular ragtop. I'll check again to make sure, but thanks.
    Yeah, it's me again!! The bikini top in the Wrangler discussion was of a "newer" variety. Mine involves the plastic/rubber insert and a track. I'm wondering about where the rear would attach or into/onto what specifically. I don't want to loose it driving down the road!
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Did you get this resolved?

-Paul
    I have some fairly shrewd guesses, but that's it. I'm hoping for a more concrete answer from someone in the know.
    Thanks.
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    It is hard to explain on here but I will try. I think the basic design of bikini tops has not changed. I have one on my TJ and I had one for my 93 YJ. I am not sure which part you have a question about. The straps at the back wrap around the roll bar. The long one in the center wraps around the roll bar and goes up to the front loop on the windshield frame. Put it through and then attach the end to the little bracket thing. I attach everything loosely first and then tighten it all down real well, starting with the center (long) one. The tighter you have the top the better. I will see if I can find a picture that shows it. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Outstanding sir - thank you so much. I thought that might be the case, but wanted to make certain. The weather is changing fast here, so I'm hoping to get another day or so to drive around with the top down!!
  • autosaurusautosaurus Member Posts: 90
    I just purchased a 1994 Wrangler with half doors and soft top. It's in beautiful condition and kept real well..

I have a few questions.. first it's a 4 cyl and an automatic. I use it locally so don't mind any lack of power but I was wondering if there were any issues/problems with this set up that I should be aware of.

Second, I've got the top pretty much on but seems I can't get it zippered completely in the rear side. Any hints on how to install these types or any web sites that address this issue.
    Thanks
  • paulp575paulp575 Member Posts: 12
    Here's a link to an article with pictures:

http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/softtop/">

Hope this helps,

paulp575
    If it is cold out, the material seems to shrink, making it hard to zip up. You may also want to clean and treat the zippers for smoother operation.

-Paul
  • kai2002kai2002 Member Posts: 1
    Like so many others with this problem, the seams in my 2002 soft top have unraveled so much that hard rain gets in. I know I should replace it, but can't afford that right now. Has anyone tried to resew/repair a soft top at the seams, instead of replacing it? If so, do you have any directions or websites on how to do it? thanks! ;)
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Take it to a marine or RV canvas repair shop. The expense will be minimal and the result will be much better than you're likely to achieve at a first attempt.
  • dsmixondsmixon Member Posts: 1
    I need to purchase a replacement skin for my 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ. My top has an exterior windshield channel where the front inserts and velcro on the door braces top and sides. I am guessing this is manufactured by Best top but unsure. I purchased a replacement skin from Rugged Ridge but it did not fit. It had 2 inches of excess material at the windshield channel and no way to secure around doors to braces. Can anyone give me any advice on what top I have so I will not have to replace the entire frame?
    Pictures would really help. I would think Bestop, but with that 'exterior windshield channel' I'm wondering. I think Quadratec or JCWhitney have a tool on their website and/or in their catalogs that help you determine which type of top you have.

I replaced my TJ top, which was OEM, with a Bestop sailcloth Replace-a-top and it has been wonderful. IF you can go with Bestop, that is who I'd recommend.

-Paul
  • pkearpkear Member Posts: 26
    I have run across many different message boards where people were reporting the same thing a leak in the modular hardtop system. I even had this problem myself due to this part of the top being removed and reinstalled at the dealer a couple of days before I bought it by salesmen trying to show it off. This is fixed simply by removing the sunroof part of the hard top and reinstalling it properly according to the owners manual. This is as easy to do as taking 5 min under the cover of a DIY car wash in the rain when it started leaking like I did.
    What is important is following the instructions and working left to right. First you remove the front panels and reinstall them by laying the left side in first then the right. You then clamp the front to the windshield. Next you screw the rear down, keep going left to right. Then you clip the back corners and finally the middle clips and you are done. This should fix the leak.
    I suggest you do this yourself as I have heard horror stories of some dealer service centers being unable to fix this after repeated visits because even they reinstalled the top improperly. If you do take it by the dealer keep in mind they most likely have never worked on one of these before so they are about as in the dark as you are before you read this. I hope this helps someone especially those who are complaining without even looking at the top to see what could be wrong.
  • lfraserlfraser Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Wrangler and have just replaced the soft top! I can't seem to get the old uppers off the doors? The new uppers come with a velcro flap that allows you easily install onto the existing doors, however the old uppers seem to be sewed onto the frame of the uppers. Does anyone have any idea how to remove the original Soft top uppers on a 95 Wrangler? Thank you!
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Cut'em off chief. That's what you're supposed to.
  • skyking49skyking49 Member Posts: 112
    I am looking for a Cover for my Jeep to use during the summer. I keep the hardtop off for three months and would just like a cover for when it rains. Yep..I keep mine parked when this happens and drive my Honda. The cover should be good quality and a fair price. Any suggestions on storing my hard top? I have heard that some folks have had problems putting the hardtop back on after extended periods of storage. I thought of just putting it on two saw horses and covering it with a tarp.
    Some people have had problems with the hardtop sides spreading while removed. If you bolt the top to a couple of 2x4s with holes drilled to match the tub you shouldn't have that problem.
    That is an good idea. Last year I just sit it on some saw horses that were laid down on the grass and it did spread some but not too much. I don't want a repeat of that problem. I have seen covers out there from 40 to 100 dollars and was wondering if I could get by with the less expensive ones.
    www.jeepcovers.com

It's PERFECT, especially if you take your doors off too.

Yes, I have one, too. Can't help with the hard top, as I don't have one.

One of those hoist systems, where you store it hanging up in the garage may be an option, but not sure what stresses/distortions that may cause.

-Paul
    One of those hoist systems, where you store it hanging up in the garage may be an option, but not sure what stresses/distortions that may cause.

You can attach the hoist to the 2x4s mentioned earlier.
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=2006+jeep+wrangler+covers&hl=en&um=1&sa=X&oi- - =froogle&ct=title

I see some Jeep covers at the site above for half the price of those at jeepcovers.com.

Is the quality that much of a difference? The one at jeepcovers is over 100 dollars and around 57.00 at the site listed above.

How about some of the ones listed here? Thanks for your time. I just want to get a quality cover for the best price.
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Browse/tf-Browse/s-10101/N-111+10208+60001405- 8/c-10108
    Those Froogle results are always interesting. You can buy a soft cover for your winch for $46.13 and a soft cover for the whole Jeep for $46.78! :)

Can't help with the actual question, but from previous experience I'd guess that the cheapest covers would be best for keeping dust off the vehicle while it's stored inside a garage.
    My Jeep cover was right about 100 with shipping (and a free hat).

-Paul
    Yes, that's where I'd be looking to ballpark it. While 'expensive' doesn't guarantee good quality, 'cheapest' isn't usually the best.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I paid about $100 for my cab cover. Didn't get the hat.

Cover works good and takes a lot of the worry out of leaving the Jeep some place with the top down or off, like when I take it to bicycle riding trails and am gone for several hours. I carry it folded in a small sports bag. Takes less than a minute to put it on.

Terry
    Did you get it at jeepcovers.com? What exactly is a hat?
    Was if water proof or water resistant? TIA
    What exactly is a hat?

I'm tempted, very tempted................but no, I'll be good. :shades:

Oh.......why not? imageimageimageimageimage

Well, you did ask. :P
    JeepCovers is where you order them from.

A hat is an object usually placed on one's head to protect it from sun, wind, rain, etc. They come in many forms, such as baseball, tophat, helmets, fedora, sombrero, etc.

The one I got a year or so ago from JeepCovers is a baseball variety. :)

When the cover is on, no water gets in, so I guess you'd say it is waterproof. Check on their site and ask if you want clarification though. They'd know best.

-Paul
    Your guys are a riot. Truth be told I thought it was some type of cover for the Jeep that had that type of nickname.
    Not sure why you mentioned that you got one with your Jeep cover because its not like...oh gee I must now buy one of those covers because I cannot do without that cap. Thanks for the other info. A cap could also be a bullet...as in bust a cap... I will probebly get my cover from jeepcovers and just tell them to keep the cap. :)
  • lynnskilynnski Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm glad i found you all....i just read a great suggestion for stowing the hardtop.

I dont seem to be able to find the fliptop soft top for the unlimited and wondered what you all have found....good or bad.

Thanks!
  • jeffr5jeffr5 Member Posts: 1
    I am very interested in buying either a 2005 or 2006 Wrangler Unlimited. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on:
    1. which model, if either is better(more reliable)
    2. would it be a mistake to buy used as opposed to new(I have found a dealer that still has some 06's on the lot).
    3. Are there any inherent problems with the Wrangler Unlimited that I should be aware of.

Thanks for your input.
    The Unlimited is base on the SWB version which came out in 96 as a 97 model. Most of the issues were long since fixed by the time the Unlimiteds came out.

You need to decide if you want the older TJ style or want the newer JK style. I have a TJ, so I'm biased. :) Buying used or new is a decision for you only. I bought mine used, but I also planned it as a toy for offroading and a semi-daily driver. If you want this for daily driving, I'd probably opt for one of those leftover 06's, but you'll have to be happy with what stock is available. Buying used isn't a whole lot different, and it sure hurts a lot less when you get the scratches/dings on it when playing. :)

All that said, aftermarket support for the TJ and Unlimiteds is HUGE. If you can't get it from the factory anymore, I guarantee you that you can find the parts you want from OEM sales like jeepsareus.com or via the gazillion aftermarket suppliers (bumpers, fenders, winches, armor, interior accessories, electronics, etc).

The JK's market just isn't that big yet, and honestly, the aftermarket prices for things like bumpers and armor are quite high right now.

Personally, I'd opt for the 05 Unlimited, save some $$, and put that into some mods (bigger tires, lift, etc). Those Unlimiteds just beg for a 3" lift and bigger meats to look perfect.

But this is all just my opinionated opinion. :)

-Paul
  • tommyijrtommyijr Member Posts: 56
    Removed the Hard Top, put the Soft Top on, though it is easy enough to figure out how it goes on, it is very difficult to do. The Jeep is my wife's, however I for the life of cannot imagine her being able to use the sun setter option much less open it all the way without my help, and if she ever has to put it up in a hurry she is in trouble. She wondered if the top needs some time on the Jeep to acclimate itself to its shape? It had yet to be used. Any thoughts or suggestions? I don't want to have to spend this much time and effort putting this thing on, I had a
    CJ-7 and the snaps were never this difficult.

Another note, I did get one of those garage hoists, it works great though I think I will do some small modifications to ensure that there is no damage to the hard top. It was easy to remove the top and now it is stored out of the way, I recommend this option.
    Yes, once they're on the Jeep for a bit, the fabric does stretch a bit. if it was cool when you put it on, that would explain why it was tight.

-Paul
  • eltipoeltipo Member Posts: 21
    I have an '05 Unlimited that I bought new from the dealer in '05. I use the vehicle as my daily driver and I have not had any issues :) . I love the extra space the LWB gives me, yet the vehicle can still sneak in and out of tight places.

I looked at the new JK recently and am not impressed. Where did the tip and fold front seats go? About to have my first child soon and can't see getting to the backseat with any ease on the '07. The 4-door is not my bag. The one at the dealer was on dubs :confuse: .

IMHO go with the LJ, classic Scrambler look, nice ride, extra space, bulletproof engine, aftermarket, all in all loads of fun. I still give her a second glance as I walk away.

Good luck
  • mvnhmvnh Member Posts: 1
    Started this discussion as an FYI if someone encounters the same issue as myself.

Very recently - yesterday - purchased a used Wrangler Soft Top. Noticed the interior lights wouldn't function upon opening the doors. Owners manual says they should.

Found this discussion board, and got the answer.

At the fuse box, behind the glove compartment, check for the #4 (bottom right hand side of fuse box, Red 10 Amp Mini) fuse.

In some cases, the fuse is removed - in order to disable the auto function of the interior light functioning in the event you want to remove the doors; the light would be on ALL the time if the doors were removed if the fuse was in place.

In my case, there was no fuse. Put the fuse in, interior lights function as they should when the doors are opened/closed.

Thanks for all the posts on this subject. Wanted to create a title to be searched on, so the next person doesn't have to dig.
  • asharrillasharrill Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what is involved in swapping a 7 tub for a wrangler body?
    This a VERY common fix/mod to do when you want to remove your doors. With doors removed, lights will be on all the time inside (or shut off after about 10 minutes or so) unless you pull #4. :)

-Paul
  • wc3035wc3035 Member Posts: 1
    y'know the little clamps that are supposed to hold the back window down? they snap onto the back door and you're supposed to be able to tuck the roof flaps underneath them? I don't have a full working Jeep Vocabulary, so I'm hoping somebody knows what i'm talking about. These things won't stay put and it's driving me nuts.

Anybody have any ideas?
  • tw4bluethundertw4bluethunder Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2002 Wrangler Sport with a hardtop and full metal doors. I want to get a soft top for it but I was wondering if I can by the Bestop Supertop with the 2-peice doors and swap back and forth between the 2-peice and the full metal or if I have to by the top that is designed for the full metal doors?

I would like to have the 2-peice for the trails but it is nice to have the full metal for highway driving.

I do not want to buy a top that does not allow me to use the metal doors or causes an area for water to get in.

Please advise, any information will help. I would like to head up to the trails next weekend and would like a soft top in case of rain.
    I would guess that won't work, as the factory soft top requires the use of hard plastic flanges to get a good weathertight seal with the full hard doors.

It's only a guess though. Why don't you contact Bestop for the definitive answer (then let us know what they said)? :)