Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Uplander/Montana/Relay/Terraza TSBs and Problem Codes

13»

Comments

• Options
    susanssv6susanssv6 Member Posts: 2
    Money pit!!

Mine just came on AGAIN. I've had it fixed 4 times now. I think the repairs have only lasted a year or less.

I paid $1200 the first time and lucked into the shop fixing it under warranty the last 3 times. They did tell me though that if it happened again they would not repair it for free again. They have seen and repaired many of these. I really think it is a flaw in the design somewhere.

I just paid my 2006 off (dealer driven and bought in 2007) so I'm going to keep it hopefully another year or so. I feel like if I sell it now I won't be able to get what it should be worth so I'm waiting so I can at least not loose money.

Good luck. If you get it fixed keep track of your warranty and stay on top of the issue.
  • Options
    sutibunsutibun Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2006 and had the harness replaced and still get the light.
  • Options
    redmen11redmen11 Member Posts: 1
    Wow, my wife has an 07 Uplander that just started to have this problem yesterday. I took it for a drive and did not find the issue. Low and behold I took it somewhere later and had the issue. No fix yet and I am going to take it to a GM dealer to be gouged on filling their pockets with money?! Yes GM customer service is a joke. Sarah huh? I can start another thread here with my first experience with her when the vehicle was still under warranty. Anybody else have a cracked high mount stop light on this series of vechiles? Bet some of you have. If not, when you walk a parking lot look at this body style and look at them. The dealer said it was not under warranty and somebody probably hit it with a baseball bat, yeh right. I thought "hey I have bought ten GM vehicles in a row and my father in law is a GM employee, so somebody should help me. The part was a little over $100 and is two screws. The dealer wants almost $50 to put it in. Sarah told me that since I was a valued loyal GM customer, they would help out with the $50 if I had the dealer fix it. I went to the junkyard for $10 and took one out of an 2001 Venture. It does not have the LED brightness that the original had, but who cares. Yep, have to consider another car company next vehicle.
  • Options
    maddog0324maddog0324 Member Posts: 55
    susanssv6,

What were the previous "fixes"? Did any of them involve the Electronic Brake Control Module, Steering Wheel Position Sensor or Vehicle Yaw and Vehicle Lateral Sensors?
  • Options
    pos08uplanderpos08uplander Member Posts: 8
    Hi Susan,

The diagnosis was a bad electronic brake control module, with a cost of $1200 at the dealer. I took it to a repair shop who made the same diagnosis and they replaced it for $400. Next day the light was on and it remains on now.

As I explained to the dealer and the repair shop, the ABS light never came on. The EBCM and wheel sensors are common to both systems, so logically that was not the problem.

If it's just the traction/stability control light then it's likely the yaw and lateral sensor (or something else). I've heard of electrical problems with these vehicles that come from water intrusion. I've had constant problems with rain leaking into the vehicle since purchase.

BTW for anyone who's interested, I've complained about a check engine light since the car was new and suspected contamination of the fuel system. Today (five years later) I got a recall letter for a possible crack in the fuel pump. Only way Chevrolet does anything is to be forced to by the government.

On a positive note, I'm picking up my new Explorer tomorrow. Considered a Traverse but with all the problems I've had with this one never a GM product again. Their loss.
  • Options
    docdenodocdeno Member Posts: 1
    Im a retired tech with 35 years experience.My wife's 06 Uplander LT had same issues with ABS,TC, and Stability lights coming on.I found some minimal wear in right front hub and bearing assy, after replacing no more problems.Replace gas cap issues are in the Emission system mounted above fuel tank.Need to replace Evap purge solenoid,canister vent valve and a replace hose with a piece of 5/8 hose.All parts can be purchased at RockAuto.com for a fraction of the cost anywhere else.Hope this helps anyone having problems.
  • Options
    pleased3pleased3 Member Posts: 1

Hey All,

Just thought I would toss my two cents in here on all the Uplander issues. We have owned an Uplander since 2009, and for the first 100,000 kms of ownership it was not a bad van. Other than a rear wiper motor needing replacement, all was well. The van only had 90,000 kms on it when we bought it for just under $12,000 Canadian. However, when the van reached 200,000 kms, everything seemed to go down hill fast. Every sensor in the front end of the vehicle has needed replacement. Left wheel sensor, right wheel sensor, master electrical sensor, wiring harness, and the ABS/Traction Control/Stability Control lights still appear after nearly $3000 worth of repairs. The van also eats brake rotors like nothing, and is rusting in many places even after extensive painting and rust proofing. After the van decided to blow a front stability rod, and the ABS has proceeded to come on repeatedly in DRY road conditions with minimal, there is little chance of us keeping it. And then, last week, the van began to experience worrying transmission slip problems. Now, at 238,000 kms, the van is no longer safe. After having several GM vehicles that have done 300,000+ kms without issue, this van has been a massive let down. It will be sold for scrap this month, and a lovely, well equipped RELIABLE Honda CRV is being purchased. GM really dropped the ball on this one, very disappointed. This will be the last GM product we purchase. Terrible service, vehicles with appalling quality control, and ridiculous sticker prices. No wonder GM went bankrupt. They should have stayed that way.

• Options
    rich_dadrich_dad Member Posts: 1

I'll continue this thread. I have a 2005 Terraza and have many of the same issues that have been outlined here. I went to the dealer until the dealer's work didn't fix the problem. GM dropped the ball on what could have really been a great van. Ours has run well but these error codes for the ABS, TC, and Anti lock are un acceptable. Here are things I have done (myself) that have helped to problem at different points in time.

• replaced wheel hubs
    • redid wiring between wheel hum and car
    • cleaned the steering control sensor thing (I am not a mechanic but have been servicing my own vehicles for 25 years...so I won't act like a mechanic)
    • removed, cleaned, and reattached each ground I can find on the car (I suspect the voltage drops are related to some of the sensor problems in this vehicle)
    • replace the drive axles (crazy aweful vibration)

Oh and the rotor issue is related to hand torquing the tires. If they are put on with an air gun and a torque stick you'll have warped rotors in a few days of driving. I put mine on with an air rachet to 40 ft/lbs then I hand torque to 70, 80, then 90 foot/lbs in a star pattern you'll be OK. Also, when you stop at a light, stop about 10 feet early and slowly roll forward. That will keep brake pad debris from building on your rotors.

Van has great specs and GM dropped the ball. I'd like to buy American but it is unAmerican to buy an inferior product that a company doesn't stand behind. See ya GM, we now have a ford that works well.

• Options
    tabbyg2014tabbyg2014 Member Posts: 2
    Not sure if I'm in the right discussion, but j have a 2007 uplander and the brake lights went out and it says service abs system now. What do I do? What would the cost be. The fuses are good and the brake light bulbs are still good. I know it's electrical but does it have anything to do with the abs system?