Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Uplander/Montana/Relay/Terraza TSBs and Problem Codes

Comments

• hookemhorns05hookemhorns05 Member Posts: 2
    I just had something similar happen. My 2005 Relay has had the left hub replaced 3 times and the right 2 times. ABS light is almost always on. Once it gets replaced, it only stays off for 6 months. On Saturday (Dec 31), I took it to the shop to have them work on the brakes and get it inspected, it cost me $1,500. While at the shop, they disconnected the battery leads to reset the computer. While in the shop the Relay went into a power saving mode and when I picked up the car, the air and heat don't work. The fan speed works but I cannot select where the air is to come out and if I turn it to cold, it is cold but no AC and if I turn it to hot, I get cold (20 degrees in January). The only position I get any warmth is by putting the knob to the middle of hot and cold. ABS light is finally off, but I need my heat and air location back.

The back windshield wiper has been replaced twice and now it doesn't work anymore. I got it fixed both times under warranty but with about 105,000 miles, it is out of warranty. 33,000 for a wiper motor is WAY TOO SHORT of a lifespan. Especially for a part that is used not even 1/3 of the time.

I am disappointed with GM and what happened to Saturn. The problems with the Relay are definitely making me reconsider GM cars and trucks in the future. I have been buying them since I was in high school but now I may be looking elsewhere.

If anyone has any insight into how to resolve heat and air issue I would greatly appreciate it.
  • rriprrip Member Posts: 4
    When you had the hub replaced, did they put on a GM part, or aftermarket, such as Timken?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    It's a cold time of the year to be without heat! I see that you have been working with a shop - is this a GM dealership? If we can set up a Customer Assistance case to further evaluate the situation, please send us an email including the following information: your name and Edmunds username, contact information (phone and address, please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • hookemhorns05hookemhorns05 Member Posts: 2
    Susan,

Front driver side 3 times (Once for bearing and twice for sensor) and passenger front twice. I think the first time for both sides and GM part, all the other were aftermarket. Ironically, the most recent have lasted the longest.

Sarah,

Look for an email.
  • pos08uplanderpos08uplander Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2008 Uplander with a similar problem. The ABS, Traction Control and Stability Control lights came on at approximately 30,000 miles and was covered under warranty. This time (at 85,000 miles) I'm getting a warning light for the Traction and Stability Control, but no ABS light. Doug Chevrolet told me it might still be covered under the powertrain warranty; if not then $109 to diagnose. Of course the diagnosis was not a warranty fix and the estimate is $1,200. Their diagnosis is a bad EBCM, which actuates both the TC/SC and ABS. I told them logically it couldn't be the ABS, as it still works. I took it to another shop, paid them $450 for a new EBCM and of course the light is still on because as I said, the EBCM is not the problem.

I've also taken this to four different Chevrolet dealers (Sims, now closed; Classic and Pat O'Brien) for a service engine light that has been on intermittently since 24,000 miles, and three dealers for a clunk in the front suspension which O'Brien wrote me a note they'd extend the warranty. Here's a good one - the indicator for the turn signals quit clicking (lights still work) and three technicians in 45 minutes couldn't figure out where the indicator is at. I've spoken with GM Customer Service, who seem oblivious to the real issue - I can't keep taking off from work and doing without a vehicle, for nothing to get fixed.

BTW, my mother's 2006 Montana has same problem with Traction Control/Stability Control warning light. She can write her own post, I have enough problems to deal with on this piece of crap.

If anyone has any idea why the TC/SC light would come on intermittently, the service engine light comes on intermittently, the turn signals don't work, etc. etc. I'd love to hear them. BTW Sarah - don't suggest I take it back to the dealer. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting to get a different outcome. As I told the dealer (the third time they cleaned/replaced the fuel injectors) - if you bought a house and the faucet clogged up, and the builder replaced it over and over every month for a year; you might eventually come to the conclusion that there's nothing wrong with the faucet... :lemon:
  • 4boysmom4boysmom Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2008 Chevy Uplander and it is also plagued with ABS, traction control, stability control warning lights coming on. About a year ago (after several months of the lights coming on and off intermittently), I finally broke down and took it in and spent over $2000 to supposedly fix the problem. The lights did go off for a while, but every so often when I would brake, the van would shudder and make a terrible sound (one of my children compared it to going over the rough pavement that is put down so that you know that you are about to see a stop sign and need to prepare to stop). I took it back to the shop and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Now my warning lights are back on all the time and the van makes the terrible sound/shuddering the vast majority of the time that I use the brakes. On the bright side, I am prettty sure that the other drivers around me are too scared of my grinding, shuddering car to follow too closely. In addition, my turn signal also doesn't make a sound--except for when I forget to turn it off and the alarm goes off after I have gone several miles. This occurred earlier in the first year of ownership and was fixed under the warranty. Now that I am at 57,000, I am told that it will cost right around $500 to fix. And finally, my AC went out in August--for the second time. I live in Georgia and AC is a good thing, especially in a van where my children can't open the windows enough to get a breeze. I bought this van because I really wanted to support the "Made in America" movement, but I am so incredibly frustrated and disappointed. I am now trying to decide if it is time to cut my losses and buy a Toyota! In the mean time, does anyone know if I am risking my life--and that of my children--by driving this vehicle?
  • mkauz52mkauz52 Member Posts: 6
    Well I have previously commented in this thread and am still an owner of a 2005 Buick Terraza. My terraza has had pages of problems that I have had to fix. Since I commented last I have changed both front hub assemblies, and had two more sets of tires put on, and brakes twice. I now have 141,000 miles on my van. (the deathtrap-as my kids call it) Has my life or my childrens life been in danger????? I felt really uncomfortable when traveling down the interstate at 65 miles an hour and the brakes would randomly lock up for a split second. I had to always be ready for anything because most often if you would hit a bump in the road you could predict it but then it got completely random. If you can afford it-Get RID of it. I have mine paid off and am saving $$ for a new vehicle....(didn't even bother with the American made lots when deciding on my new car)

They can't fix it!!! They can do something to the computer to take away the messages but they will return because I believe there is no fix. You can open a case with GM but you will take it to the dealership they will make the message go away for about a week longer than your case complaint is open. Been there done that. I know I sound jaded but that hunk of junk took me 5 years to pay off 5 long years!!!!.....Sell it, trade it, RUN and don't look back!!!!!
  • max5841max5841 Member Posts: 4
    this is a problem with many uplanders including mine,there needs to be a class action law suit to get this repaired,there has been no recall on this and gm has to know there is a problem,as there is also a problem filling the tank,you can get another three gallons in the tank if you take the time to keep clicking pump and let the gas subside in the tank after 3 or 4 minutes of repeating fill.My 2008 uplander is great other than stated above,my light has been going off for 40,000 miles I decided not to get it fixed.I know there is a problem with the harness for the stabilty control and yet no recall what does that tell you about G/M.
    Good morning 4boysmom,

Although your experience hasn't been as smooth as it could have been, thank you for supporting the "Made in America" movement. If we can look into this further with you, please send us an email at the address located in my profile with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

We look forward to hearing from you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • acdmumacdmum Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 Uplander with 99007 miles on it. The service ABS light is on again. It just came on tonight. Conveniently, my warranty I purchased through Carmax has just expired about 200 miles ago. Approximately 7 months ago I had it in to Carmax for the same issue. It was in the shop for 3.5 out of a 5 week period due to the same problem. The first time I picked it up from repair I drove away, and had problems within a few miles. Strange noises, pedal sinking to the floor, brakes not grabbing etc. Eventually it was fixed after being taken back to Carmax, and then sent to the Chevy dealership, where they had to replace the computer that controls the ABS sytem. I would expect that since it was just fixed 7 months ago that I would not experience the same problem. I am constantly having to repair the brakes on this van due to vibrations and a feeling of them not functioning properly at freeway speeds, or on downhills. Now that the light is on, I'm assuming it is the same problem.

I've already had the van in for brake sensors to be replaced a few times. It has also had the transmission rebuilt at 55000 miles, and the passenger power door was opening on it's own, refusing to close, making chime noises and opening while driving, etc. The driver's side power door is now starting to have the same problems. The interior light controller had to be replaced, the backlights on the dashboard went out at night in the rain on the freeway, those were fixed. I don't think we've gotten through an entire year without this van needed some major repair work.

To say it is the worst car I've ever owned would be an understatement. We were the proud owners of an 01 Venture that we got 137000 miles out of with no issues. Unfortunately it was totaled in a rollover accident. We decided to purchase another Chevy minivan since we had a great experience with our Venture (purchased new). We purchased the Uplander from Carmax. They have been wonderful and have stood behind the vehicle they sold us with their MaxCare extended warranty. I am grateful to Carmax for the way they have handled this lemon they sold us. When we purchased it, it only had 8900 miles on it, and was in phenomenal shape. We felt we had made another good solid purchase buying a Chevy minivan. What a huge mistake. It is doubtful we will EVER purchase another American vehicle. Least of all a Chevy. This van is an absolute piece of crap, and I don't feel safe driving our daughters in it. Unfortunately we are stuck with it for at least another 9 months while we save up to replace it. My question for all of you; What can I do about this ABS light message? Would that system really need repair again after such a short period of time? If it does, why is GM not standing behind what they've built? Why hasn't this van been recalled for all of these issues? I came across this forum tonight and am blown away by how many people have the EXACT same problems with these vans. I realize this van is a 2006 but it has been one headache after the other since we purchased in Jan 2007! Seriously disappointed. :lemon:
    Hello acdmum,
    I'm sorry that your Uplander has been encountering so many difficulties. I see that you did take this in to a dealership to have some work done on it for the ABS - if we can follow up on this with you, please send us an email to one of the addresses located in my profile (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership). My coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails from the forum, will advise you further.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rriprrip Member Posts: 4
    Hello Sarah from GM,

So how does one send you an email when your e-mail address is marked as "private"?

My 2006 Buick Terraza (same body as the Uplander) started its ABS trouble right after the warranty ended. I have not taken mine into a dealership because I cannot afford to pay megabucks to fix this lemon.

Will GM make good on a flawed ABS system in a car that is out of warranty?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    rrip,
    Thank you for your message. Edmunds is working to fix the concerns with Sarah's profile. I apologize for your frustrations. I understand your concerns and would be happy to set up a case for you with GM Customer Assistance; however, we will require that you have the vehicle diagnosed at a GM dealer. From there we can look into your concerns and frustrations. Please feel free to email me with the name of the dealer you will be working with, your VIN, and current mileage. I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 3rdreacon3rdreacon Member Posts: 1
    Sorry! It seems I have nothing new or exciting to report. Just another Uplander having the ABS and Traction Control warning light problem. I was hoping to find an easy fix for what I thought would be a rare occurrence. After reading the messages I now know this will not be the case.

Hey Sarah, you have time for one more happy satisfied customer? Please advise on what information you need and how to send.

Thank you
    Has anyone actually gotten a satisfactory outcome from "Sarah" or anyone at GM Customer Service? I've gone ten rounds with them and gotten more of the same company line. Here's the latest:

I filed complaints with BBB and the Attorney General (the car is still under powertrain warranty, and this is a powertrain problem). I received a call from customer service, who asked me when I bought the car and what the current mileage was. THAT's ALL... nothing about the problem, the dealer experience, nothing. They told me they were required to call the customer when they got a complaint and that's what they were doing. What kind of joke is this? It's as if they're automatons who read from a script, but are incapable of independent logic, thinking or empathy. All I want is a safe vehicle that I can register with license plates when they come due. I can't even do that right now because of the engine problem. The traction control/stability control problem (unfortunately) is a luxury for me right now (along with the suspension clunk, the turn signals, the rear wiper (new problem). What a piece of junk! More importantly, what a poor, ineffective, uncaring, customer service organization!

I'm not an unreasonable person, I like to think I'm well educated, the car is paid for. When I talk to customer service I don't raise my voice, curse, or call their ancestry into question. Heck, I used to work for GM so I'd like to think I have some sympathy for them. But then I remember why I quit my job there - because of stupid stuff like this.

GM Customer Service - I'd love to hear a solution that works. What you've suggested before has been tried and failed. Why don't you try something new, like actually caring about the customer and addressing the problem once and for all instead of this constant runaround? :sick:
    Good morning pos08uplander,

Do you have a case number with us (71-**********)? If you wanted to get that our way, we'd be happy to get you any available updates. However, as this is now a BBB matter, I am very limited in what I can do at this point.

I'm sorry to read that you don't feel as though we're addressing this properly at the moment. If I can get your case number (or the last 8 of your VIN), I can send a notification to your agent with any requests you may have.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Good morning 3rdreacon,
    We'd be happy to look into this further with you. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with: your name and Edmunds username, phone and current address, last 8 of your VIN and approximate mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. My coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails from Edmunds, will advise you further.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • khriesikkhriesik Member Posts: 1
    I, too am having issues with these lights coming on. Mostly, they appear after the van has been idling while in park or at a stop light for several minutes. I've looked it up on other sites and one of the problems noted were bad wheel bearings, which were replaced about a year ago. It states that the harness on the bearings could be bad. One side were replaced at a dealership, the other side was done by my husband. However, if there are this many other people with the same issue, I doubt that could be the problem. Please let me know what steps we need to take to get this issue resolved. Obviously there is a problem with these vehicles. I had also had the problem with the passenger side sliding rear door not closing repeatedly and beeping and had that since the van was just 2 months after purchasing it (it's a 2006 and was purchased brand new). It took until just before the warranty was expired and me taking a video of it and showing it to the service department before anyone could "duplicate" the problem and believe me that it was really happening. We had purchased the van in another location than where we live, and I had even taken it there several times before giving up and finally taking it to our town. I find it ridiculous that it takes almost 5 years for a problem to be resolved. It got so bad that rivets were popping and I had to force close the door in order to make it drivable. Anyway, the issue now is the ABS/stability/traction lights. The systems still work, because as the lights had been on one time before, the traction control was engaged on a gravel road. Please advise!
    Good morning khriesik,

If we can look into this further with you, feel free to send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and name of your dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I'm at a loss here, any suggestions (in compliance with the law that is) are appreciated.

I have a 2008 Chevy Ulander, which has been a problem since the day I bought it. It is still covered by the powertrain warranty. Current problems include:

Service engine light (keeps me from registering or selling the vehicle, because it won't pass echeck)

Transmission slippage

Traction Control / Stability Control service light

I've taken it to four different Chevrolet dealers, and they've serviced it at least twelve different times. NONE of the problems have been fixed. I also have a faulty turn signal indicator (not under warranty but they weren't able to fix) and a faulty rear wiper motor.

Each time I've taken off work, I've imposed on my friends for a ride, and been without my car for an extended period of time. Did I mention NONE of the problems have been fixed? I filed a complaint with BBB and got a call from Chevrolet. Their response was "Well, we're required to call you and we did." Didn't ask anything about what was wrong, what had been done, or that NONE of the problems have been fixed. They seem content to play a waiting game and hope that I give up.

Has anyone tried other options - for example, calling every news outlet in Ohio, or painting lemons on the car and driving in circles around their dealership? What about showing up with a film crew at the dealer and then posting it on Youtube? If any of those have worked I'd love to hear it. I won't take off from work and I won't do without my car anymore because NONE of the problems have been fixed.

Thanks for the advice.
  • 4alexa24alexa2 Member Posts: 2
    I actually have my Uplander at the dealership now. I have the traction control, stability system, tire monitor system, and check engine lights on. I dropped it off at the dealership March 30th. After they changed the first part they called for me to pick it up. After signing the papers and getting my kids out of the car etc. My van was driven around the building to me. The service man leans out the window and asks me if the traction control light had been on. After I told him that was one of the reasons it was there, he had me wait on the lot with my kids while he drove around back to speak with the technician. He then came back around and ask if they could keep it a little longer. After not hearing anything again for a couple of days he called to say the problem was they had reset the lights incorrectly. He wanted to know if I would mind if they kept it overnight to drive it a bit more. Of course I said sure. Then after not hearing anything again even though I had been calling and getting no where. I was told the lights were back on and they had no idea why. I was told this evening after I called even though James had promised to call, that the problem was the brake pressure modular thing and they had ordered it and it should be in tomorrow. He also told me after I ask that this would in fact cause all of the lights. Is this accurate? It just doesn't seem right to me because the lights do not come on at the same time. BTW, GM is covering everything so far. I am at almost 94,000 miles.
    edited April 2012
    Hi 4alexa2,

I'm an accountant, not a mechanic but I do have some common sense (moreso than the dealer's mechanics seem to have) - let me ask two questions:

When the Traction Control and Stability Control lights are on, does the ABS (Anti lock Braking System) light come on?

Do you have the Flex Fuel engine (it has a yellow gas cap)?

My dealer told me the same story about the Electronic Brake Control Module, but this doesn't make sense. If it was bad, then all the systems that use it would fail (TC/SC/ABS). It's a shared part like a Christmas tree light - if one goes out, they all go out.

On the engine light - does it come on during long trips, or when it's cold and damp? I've tried to explain to the mechanic that using e85 ethanol (sold at only a few gas stations in the country) will make the light go out. e85 runs notoriously lean (they use it in Indy cars) which means that it's probably my computer program telling the car to run too rich.

Has GM given you a loaner while they experiment with the thing? That's been my biggest hangup with them - I'm willing to let them work on the car but I don't have another one to drive and I don't think I should have to pay for a rental for their incompetency.

I look forward to your answers and keep us posted on the outcome. Thanks.
    4alexa2,

It sounds as though they've found the root of the matter; hope that the repair goes well! Please keep us updated on progress, and if we can be of any assistance feel free to send an email to socialmedia@gm.com

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 4alexa24alexa2 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, the dealership has given me a car to drive or else I don't think I would be so forgiving on the amount of time it is taking. I have also found out my van has been put to the side several times because apparently others are more important.
    To answer your other questions, yes it is the one that can take the flex fuel. I agree, after reading what everyone has said here and what I have been able to find elsewhere it seems everyone with the brake pressure modulator valve issue has an ABS light on. I don't. The lights I have are on everyday it seems, but they don't usually come on at the same time. Sometimes I can drive a bit before they start coming on.
    The first part they changed was under the intake and this is what GM covered.
    I was just informed this repair would be $1300. Thank goodness for extended warranties. I have 6000 miles left on it. I believe if they ever figure this out I will drive it straight to another dealership to trade it in!
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    GM seems to have a lot of problems with its Stabiltrak/Traction Control system across a variety of models (e.g. Impala). What's interesting is that there are Uplanders and Montana SV6s out there without the Stabiltrak/Traction Control feature. My 2007 Uplander doesn't have it and it's one reason why I bought it. Good luck.
  • deathfromabovedeathfromabove Member Posts: 1
    Why all the hate people? Bought my Terraza brand new in 05'. Since then, other than breaks, tires and normal services - we have been running trouble free now for over 150,000 miles. I have a had a great experience, too bad they do not produce this line anymore :(
    Wow, I read that wrong. I thought you said breaks (sic) and FIRES...

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the U-van is a good vehicle in principle. Seating for seven, take the seats out and you can put a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back. Towing for 3,500 pounds, front wheel drive and unibody provide a reasonably comfortable ride in snow, good visibility and decent gas mileage.

My gripe is that I can't find a competent dealer to service it, and General Motors feels they have no further obligation once they build it. Four different dealers have worked on the thing and I have the same problems as when I bought it four years ago. Honestly, more than a dozen trips for the same problems which never get fixed? You'd be frustrated too if you got shuffled back and forth with no answer and no resolution.

I've called GM in Detroit, and spoken to their representatives at the car shows. Their response is almost robotic - take it to the dealer (just like the other dozen times). There should be some sort of escalation process - "if this doesn't work, try this instead."

Customer Service Sarah won't even reply to me, because she isn't empowered to make a decision that would resolve this problem. I'm not an unreasonable person, but insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I've tried taking it to the dealer; Sarah, why don't you suggest something else?

You're right, I'm a hater. I hate the way that GM and their dealer network have passed me back and forth; I hate the way they treat me like I'm stupid, gullible or both; I hate all the time I've lost and the money I've spent on repairs for ZERO results; and I hate that I paid tens of thousands of dollars for a vehicle that I can't renew the registration on because it won't pass e-check.

No more GM vehicles, I've learned my lesson. You simply can't depend on them (their vehicles or their employees).
    We're glad to hear that you have had such a great experience with your Terraza! Hope you get to enjoy many more happy miles in it.
    All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gadcinigadcini Member Posts: 2
    I have been having trouble with the traction control engaging randomly. Occassionally the service stabilization light and service aBs comes on. No light ever stays on. I have had it in the shop for weeks at a time and the problem never duplicates and no codes are ever stored. HELP. What can it be? Have replaced wheel bearings and awl sensor twice. New battery, power steering pump. And probably a few other things. I am at a loss. It is a death trap but I can't afford to purchase another vehicle.
  • susanssv7susanssv7 Member Posts: 3
    After taking my Montana V6 in for the 4th time to have the ABS fixed, they have replaced the system 3 times, (the last 2 times it was under warranty) they finally found a shorted out or broken wire half way through the wiring system. This seems to have fixed my problems.

Although my traction control still grabs occasionally at stop signs my TC & ABS lights don't come on anymore every time I turn. Have them look for this. I have had it in so many times that the repair shop only charged me for parts, about $74. They have fixed A LOT of ABS problems on these vehicles.

Good luck. I'm still trying to find a way to get my Engine light off. No engine problems but light will not go off. I've decided to keep my now for another year. I paid it off this month as was going to get rid of it fast. Too bad they have all of these problems because i do like the van otherwise.
    You may be better off disabling the traction control/stability system. Can you turn it off? Good luck.
  • gadcinigadcini Member Posts: 2
    I have turned it off however it still happens. I've asked my mechanic if there was a way to disable it other then the traction control button in the vehicle and he says there is not.
  • blackrhinoblackrhino Member Posts: 3
    I am having problems with t/c and stabilitrack, dealer replaced passenger side wheel bearing 2 years ago and same problem is back. when I bought van new in 2006 I discovered it was a chevy venture in disguise as I had a 99 venture plauged with the same problems . so I pulled back on the drivers side carpet on 07 uplander and discovered that it has the same problem 99 venture had. Water from the a/c condensate drip tube that is supposed to drip on ground was driipping behind carpet on the driver and passenger side floor rotting out all of the metal and wiring on floor told dealer about it and they seemed to not care about it, as all of the wiring for all of problems that I am having is running across the floor boards
    We're sorry to hear about the electrical difficulties you're experiencing in your Uplander. What are your plans for getting this looked into?

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • blackrhinoblackrhino Member Posts: 3
    My Wife and I are planning on trading it in soon . We will never buy any chevrolet product ever again, your vehicles are not what they used to be, your dealer service departments in my opinion lack the knowledge , and are only replacing parts becuase they dont know what the problems are with these vehicles and others, GM motors needs to put costomers first instead of profits Thank you
  • dkstockerdkstocker Member Posts: 4
    Here are pages and pages of the same thing, but has anyone ever actually had this FIXED for good? I don't have $1000 a month to drop into this car, but my traction/stability/abs warnings stay on.
    Good afternoon dkstocker,
    What year and model do you have? If you want for us to check into warranty information, please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    It's a 2005 Terraza CXL, and if it were a Hyundai it would still be under warranty at 75,000 miles.

You already know this problem is so common it should have been a factory recall, but I guess your Certified Repair Network making a thousand bucks of profit at each visit to not-fix it is reason enough to let it slide. I fail to see how it helps me for you to have my car's serial number . . . BUT if you convince me it is worthwhile I'll email you the VIN
  • gigi1957gigi1957 Member Posts: 5
    I own both a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu (purchased new) and a 2005 Chevrolet Uplander (purchased in 2006). Currently, I am unable to drive either vehicle due to brakes and/or front end problems. My Uplander is on its 3rd or 4th set of rotors and pads. The abs light is on and won't go off. There is a loud noise when driving that sounds like the front end is going to fall apart and I need 1 control arm bushing. While driving home the other night I turned on my road and the van wouldn't accelerate and the noise was so loud my grandchildren were yelling, "What's that noise"!
    The last time I called GM I was told to take the van to my local dealership and call back so that they could monitor the dealership. I spent my entire day there. When I called back with the $1800 bill the person I spoke with had gone for the day. I was called by some (in TX, I'm in MI) who said they had spoken with the manager of the dealership who was willing to help with the charges and he would be calling me. I never got the call. I ended up ordering my transmission coolant lines, getting my brakes done elsewhere and not having anything done about my side molding that has been replaced several times for adhesion failure and turning brown or the automatic door that randomly stops working. I've had 3 or 4 key fobs and the current one does not work. My Malibu has had brake problems, the steering column and lower control arms replaced. Currently, the Malibu has a loud clunk when turning left or right. The Malibu has 60,000+ miles and the Uplander has 61,000+.
    On the day that I was at the dealership with the Uplander I spent most of the day with a salesman looking for a 2010 Malibu. When one was found I was told that I would have to pay to have the car brought in. This was a real turn off so I took my $1800 bill and left. In May, I went to the local Ford dealership and in two weeks I had what I asked for without paying anything up front. I didn't trade either vehicle because I didn't want to hear later that someone had had an accident and died in a vehicle that I previously owned.
    I plan on keeping the Uplander and giving the Malibu to another family member. Since GM has money for the repairs I have listed I am wondering why people are given such a run around when reporting known issues.
    Here's the latest on my Uplander issues:

I contacted the Ohio Attorney General, who then contacted GM. An attorney for GM (Brandi) called me, got the VIN number (sounds like the automatons all have the same script) and then did nothing for me. At the AG's request, I took it back to the last dealer who saw it under the bumper to bumper warranty. I was assured by Mike Campola (GM of Pat O'Brien Chevrolet) that they "weren't going to throw darts at the problem" and that a master technician would do the diagnosis.

After spending an entire day at the dealership, they told me that my check engine light problem requires a fuel injection cleaning, at a cost of $149. I paid $58 for them to tell me this. If that doesn't work, I was told that disassembly of the engine at $1400, plus parts would be required. They would not guarantee that any of this would fix the problem. When I reminded Phil (Service Manager) that they did the same work at 34K miles (under factory warranty) and it didn't fix the problem, he stated that this was necessary for diagnosis. I asked him why I had to pay and he said because this is a maintenance issue and not covered under warranty. When I reminded him that the fuel injection service at 34k was covered by warranty and no charge, I swear I could see the wheels spinning in his pupils and smoke coming out of his ears.

Meanwhile, I have a car that runs but that I can't renew the tags on because it won't pass e-check. Sarah, there's a difference between customer service and lip service, and everyone on this forum seems to be getting the latter. Can you give us an example of anyone you've actually helped? I'd like to talk to that customer and find out what worked.

Remember consumers, this problem was reported under the factory 36/36 bumper to bumper warranty and not fixed. Think about that before you buy a new vehicle from GM.
    I wish that someone would respond who actually did get help from GM and tell us what we should do. At this point I'd just be happy to have someone tell me a fix for the front end of my Uplander and what type of rotors and pad I should purchase other than GM!
    Good morning gigi1957,

I see that you've contacted us in the past - if you wanted to email us either your Service Request number (71-**********) or the last 8 digits of your VIN we could check into that further to see if there's anything further we can do. Our email is socialmedia@gm.com

Sorry to hear of the problems with your GM vehicles. I own a 2007 Uplander and it has been less problematic than your vehicle. The brake problems on the early models like yours (2005 was the first year for the Uplander) has a lot to do with the oversized wheels (17 in. rims) and only 5 lugnuts per wheel. GM added an extra lugnut per wheel with the later models which reduces some of the brake problems. I find the brake pads wear quickly (20k to 30k miles) but I haven't had any other issues with the brakes. Aftermarket ceramic brake pads will help, but the number of lugnuts is a design issue which can not be fixed on your vehicle. Also, the later models got GM's 3900 V6 which is a big improvement over the 3500 found in your vehicle. You're probably better off trading in the Uplander and getting something else that better suits your needs and is more reliable. Good luck.
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    I can't help you with your front end but I can tell you that I replaced the poor GM front brake pads and rotors with replacement parts made by Raybestos. Problem solved for 40,000+ miles...
    So Sarah has time to request more VINs but does not have time to tell us why we should provide them. This could be as little as one well-phrased, B.S.-free sentence.

EXCELLENT customer service. Truly. It has made me a GM customer for LIFE . . .

. . . not. Way to go Sarah, you are making your company look worse than it already did!
    Serviceless Sarah is not trying to help you. I know someone in GM's Risk Management group and they talk about the "social media multiplier" to risk (i.e. that a failure goes "viral") What she's trying to do is to negate the effect of this blog so that if potential new car buyers search here, they'll think GM "Cares." If anyone on this message board has actually gotten assistance from GM, I'd like to hear what worked (so far nothing does for me). I took GM's advice, spent a day at a dealer for an intermittent check engine light (under warranty) and was told their best guess is to tear the engine apart at a cost of $1400 (not covered by warranty even though car is still within warranty period and mileage). What's the point of buying a new car from GM when they refuse to honor their warranty? They know they have more lawyers than we can ever afford, and their bullying way of dealing with problems doesn't get them fixed, but it does save GM money and allow them to avoid their obligation to the customers.

Here's what I suggest (won't get your car fixed but it'll make you happier and might get Serviceless Sarah's attention) -

Post negative reviews on every website and blog that you can find. Keep it factual but be sure to use lots of keywords - mention every current model that GM makes (even if it's not yours), so that when someone is looking to buy a new car and do research, your review will be near the top of the search list. When you post something on this site, be sure to check the box that says Share on Facebook to spread its reach. At some point Sarah won't be able to keep up (though I doubt her real name is Sarah, there's probably a hundred just like her who all use the same name, even the guys).

I dont have the time to do this but I've seen it work before - stick some lemons on the side of the car and then drive around in front of the local dealers. Be sure to have someone there with a video camera, and be sure to get the name of the dealership in the shot. Then, post to Youtube and wait for the fun to begin. Be sure to send the link to every media outlet in your area. Instant viral video.

Sarah (or George, or whatever your name is) what empowerment do you have to fix any of this? If your only authority is to ask for VIN numbers, YOU"RE NOT HELPING. Get someone from GM on this blog who is empowered to make a decision to help us and GET OUT OF THE WAY!
    I don't know if anyone has actually been helped here or not. I do know that after I posted on here about my 2 GM vehicles there was a woman in our area driving home from church in her 2004 Malibu and the steering locked up causing her to lose control of her car and hit a utility pole. She survive, but her car is totaled. The vehicle had been to the local dealership about 4 times and supposedly they couldn't find the problem. I own a 1984 Chevrolet Corvette that's in better shape than either of my 2005 vehicles.
    Hello dkstocker,

Sorry I had missed your follow-up message! Sometimes the search tool we use does not flag all responses, and again I apologize for that.

With your VIN, we're able to search our records to get a good idea of your history with the vehicle, as well as gives us the ability for us to provide you with any pertinent information we can find about the given situation (relevant recalls, special coverages, warranty information, etc.). We use it to build a Service Request, through which we do interact with the dealership to learn more about what's going on with the vehicle after a diagnosis and to see what we can do in the situation.

Additionally, if we build this Service Request, it is logged in our database and can be accessed by different departments within GM (including brand quality).

Okay, so I send you my VIN. You get one more tick in your database saying 'this car has problems' and you run a search and find that X work was or was not done. It still doesn't fix my car, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't even get me a free code-reading on a Tech II scanner at my local dealership - MUCH less a free repair on an old car. I'm not really interested in populating a GM database, but I AM somewhat interested in having my car working 100%.

Pertinent information - apparently there are several insouluble mystery problems or there would be answers on all these threads about how people came away with FIXED cars.
    Recalls - wouldn't that be nice!
    Special coverages - apparently not even STANDARD coverage, see post #99 above
    Warranty information - at 7 years and 75,000 miles, not on a GM

Color me still unconvinced, skeptical of GM's commitment even to FIX problems, much less genuine Customer Service, and yes even a bit hostile toward the uncaring attitude I find here and elsewhere.

Here is what a world-class giant car company does, that CARES about their products, CARES about their customers, and CARES that their customers come get more of their products in the future: When there is a known problem with lots of potentially-fatal events caused by the problem being posted all over the internet, they assign some people to find the owners of potentially-affected vehicles and FIX the problem. This is not the same as hope the owners come in, charge them $$$$ and let them drive away with cars still broken in potentially-lethal ways.

If a scam/fake/worthless aftermarket warranty company can figure out how to send me a postcard asking for my business, how is it General Motors can't? How is this even a question? :(
  • brown1315brown1315 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 chevy Uplander and the service ABS and Traction Control and Service Stability System warnings light have started to come on but not with any regularity. The van only has 108,942 km on it i have read that there are alot of people having these issues. The last 4 digit of vin are 0131. is there actually a fix for this or is it a money pit