Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Eos Water Leaks

Comments

• Options
    suzerseossuzerseos Member Posts: 1
    How did they fix this problem? What did they say was the cause? Did yo need to lubricate the seal like the other leaks?

Thanks
  • Options
    gmcmike22gmcmike22 Member Posts: 1
    I am a service advisor with a local VW dealership and it is a known fact that EOS'S have a water leak problem at the seal that runs along the back side of the roof that meets the rear glass panel area. The problem is the seal is not properly sealed against top panel thus allowing water to enter into the rear inside qtr. panel and settling into and under the carpeting. VW is aware of this concern and has a fix with a updated sealant that the dealership can order. this procedure which includes complete removal of interior trim, seals, seats, etc will usually take approx 4-5 hours depending on how wet the interior is. Extra time may be needed to dry interior. VW should supply a rental while procedure is being processed since the vehicle is under warranty and this IS a factory known problem.
  • Options
    jobie3jobie3 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a new VW EOS in June 08 in Luxembourg, the car has spent more time in the garage than with me.
    Every time it rains, water seeps in on the back right & left hand side.
    They are now in the process of replacing all the rubber joints to see if this will fix the problem..VW should actually advertise the extra hidden option(swimming pool) :lemon:
    To sum it up... I regret having bought the EOS...
  • Options
    koolkat4koolkat4 Member Posts: 10
    I think all VW EOS should be recalled as lemons! I had the seals replaced along with every thing else in the car - it was practically rebuilt. Finally after getting a lemon law attorney VW agreed that it was indeed a lemon and replaced my 2007 with a 2009. Guess what - after having the car one week it wouldn't start. This new car needed a new starter! You better believe I will never buy another VW as long as I live. :mad:
  • Options
    I totally agree with you KoolKat4, VW should recall as they are aware of this problem... :lemon:
    I did actually send an @mail to VW Germany, do you think I got a reply...NOOOOOOOO

Keep the faith..

A+
  • Options
    jgjiffyjgjiffy Member Posts: 11
    Koolkat, I would really like to talk to you.... I am pretty much in the same situation as you. I seem to be have ALL the quirky problems everyone else is INCLUDING the leaks. My Lemon Law case is set for 5/5.
  • Options
    My EOS went back to the VW garage (again for the 8th time) so that they could now replace all the seals.
    They kept the Car for nearly 2 months, 10 days after getting the Car back Guess what happened....A WATER LEAK... Not surprised really..
    The funny thing is that after getting the Car back, I got an @mail from the main VW Importer wishing me many happy driving days...
    My VW dealer is now negotiating with VW Germany & the main Importer to replace the Car..(Should I hold my breath)..!!
    Will up-date once VW Germany have come back to me.

A+
  • Options
    jill15jill15 Member Posts: 1
    Is the water seal problem a known fact for the 2009 models also, or did they fix it?
  • Options
    I just had my LEMON law hearing on mine (a 2007) and a friend of mine has a 2009 that IS leaking too. It's a sweet ride, but it's riddled with problems.
  • Options
    thevwdudethevwdude Member Posts: 2
    as long as the cars under 4years / 50k miles. take it to the dealership. this is a known problem with tons of bulletins. it could be 1 of 6 or 7 diff. things. they'll need to seal the sunroof drains, replace the header seal, if the new seal leaks, they need to seal it on the front, not just the bottom. if you hose off the car you can watch the water run over the header seal (the black seal where the top meets the windshield) and under it. this is how the water gets in. it follows the header beam to the a-pillar and comes out and drips on the drivers left knee or the passengers right knee. It used to be sunroof drains, but it seems to be more of a header seal issue now. any vw dealer should be well aware of this issue.
  • Options
    4 years Schmor years....I won my Lemon Law Case against VW, and they tried to screw me out of what I had coming...I ended up with 5X their best offer before arbitration. And they never once would admit that others were having this same problem.
  • Options
    mikeh9mikeh9 Member Posts: 5
    Once you start getting water leaks or electrical problems with a car, get rid of it.
    I had a late 2007 EOS from new that had to be returned to the dealer four times in 7 months for water leaks that used to flood the interior of the car.
    After the third time I threatened that I would not keep the car if it happened again. When it started leaking again I returned to the dealer and insisted that I receive full compensation or an equivalent priced car of my choice - but not an EOS. Within three weeks we both reached an agreement and the EOS was replaced with a fully spec,d Golf Estate Sportline. I have now had this car for 12 months with absolutely no problems.
    If you make enough fuss you can get your way but avoid replacing an EOS with an EOS.
  • Options
    Basically did the same as you, stood my ground and after a long battle, VW have exchanged my EOS for a new car of my choice..
  • Options
    cadd2233cadd2233 Member Posts: 36
    My Eos (purchase late March 08) has only 6,400 miles on it, I came home from a 2 week vacation last night, my boyfriend stepped into INCHES of water on the passenger's side. As I drove to the dealer today, when I braked, about 6" of water would rush forward!
    The "new car smell" is now replaced by strong mildew odor, this is terrible and disappointing. Seeing other's posting, I hope there is some way to keep this car (since I do love it) verses trade it for other model. A hard top convertible with trunk space, FWD, 4 seater, stick shift (even being a woman) is what I always wanted.
  • Options
    I know this isn't what you want to hear, but after WINNING my :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: Lemon Law arbitration in the State of CT with VW, I went out and bought the 2010 Ford Mustang V6 with Pony Package, it's a totally different car, and yes there are things it won't do and doesn't have that the VW did, but ... I LOVE IT ! :)
  • Options
    This WAS my dream car, my 5 simple requirements* were not easy to find as a combination in ONE car. Since teenage years, I liked Mustang but later found Rear wheel drive hard to manage (in snow) by pushing limits in Autocross racing, so I'd rather have Front wheel drive. Many other convertibles (2 seaters) are not practical to me. This beautiful long weekend with my car in the shop, and can't get the dealer to call me back to give me an update= sad & frustration.
    Perhaps I'll look you up when I need to learn about "Lemon Law", I'm going to give them a chance to correct the problem before giving up... since I do love this car, I waited over 10 years for this*.
  • Options
    Sure, look me up, I agree I live in CT, so the snow is a factor, I may just try to buy something to drive in the winter.. I dunno.. I might get snow tires.
  • Options
    I got a 2008 "Mid-life crisis" Red (Paprika Red) not knowing it will give me problem no NEW car owner deserve! When I took my car in on 7/1/09, the LACK of surprise reaction from the dealer REALLY concerned me. They treated 6" of water in the front as if I was coming in with an oil changed... tagged my car and took the key while stepping back from the strong mildew odor. No call back from dealer, no car for a long weekend.
    I called VW, they gave me a song and dance about renting a car less than $25/day etc. I can't believe the poor customer service from both end.
    I don't have money to feed a lawyer, this car payment is almost same as my mortgage. Good luck to you... save your money "for a raining day"?!
  • Options
    lancelotlinklancelotlink Member Posts: 18
    It's terrible that some are having problems, and I hope you all find relief.

But I must say, I live in the Pacific Northwest, park my 2007 Eos outside, and to date have never experienced any leakage. (knock on hardtop)
  • Options
    Thanks, hope this repair resolves future problem that I don't have to look you up, :blush: just in case, I'm in North Jersey. In shop for over 1 week now, they are still waiting on a part, they claim it's stripped to the metal, I'll give them a chance to correct the problem. Meanwhile, anyone have any luck trying to get some $ from VW (ie. credit toward car loan payment instead of renting a car?) or pay for other damages, brand new GPS died.
    Although my Eos has only 6,400 miles on it (March '08), I decided to put some $/care into my '93 Honda Accord today with 208+K miles so I have a MORE reliable car to drive.
    Something is very wrong with this picture. :sick:
  • Options
    I finally picked up my Eos after 3 weeks at the dealer. Can you believe they order the wrong carpet (steering wheel on the right?!), which took an extra week to get the correct part.
    It still smell like mildew... Not as bad, but it has no "new car smell", and hope the leak is fixed. While I wipped downed the whole interior (2x) with bathroom mildew cleaner, etc., I notice there is rust coming up on the rods of peddles and floor (where carpet is not covered). Spoke to VW, can't get extra rust protection for future... How do I know if the new carpet and insulation is covering ALREADY rusting floor? I fear that I will be driving without a floor like Flintstone one day! :sick:
  • Options
    Where do you live? What State? I'd be more than happy to discuss with you how I got out of mine. You should file the lemon law. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • Options
    Sounds like you got a lemon! I should know- I had one too. Did you know that you can go on line, pick a lemon law attorney off the net, fax all your bills/receipts from when your car was in the shop and they will file for you? I did that, never paid a dime and received a replacement car. If your car is like mine was, it will never be right, give it back while you can. Let me know if you need any help - always ready to help a fellow volkswagon driver.
  • Options
    How "long" was your battle? What did you have to do? I just filed a complaint on the BBB website, although I spoke to VW Customer Care, I still can't get rid of the strong mildew odor from the car, and I found rust with other damages from repair process.
    I just want my $ back. I paid up almost half of the car's worth, but only have 6.5K miles on it. Can you recommend which route I should take? Deal with BBB or VW for fastest result?
    I'm sad because I love this car, but can't handle the headache (from the smell & hassles).
  • Options
    Thanks for your follow up and advice. I just filed a complaint on BBB, I don't have $ to spend on lawyer, why would they "file" for you without taking a fee?
    I wanted to give them the 2 weeks, air out and wait to see if the odor will fade, but rust & other scratches occured during repair, which will not "heal" from time.
    I don't know if I can sell the car back to VW or trade in for another Eos, since I do LOVE this car. I got it because I need FRESH air, irony.
    I appreciate your patience and interest to help me... or just a E-"there, there".
    I can't cry, :cry: can't afford adding more moisture to the car.
  • Options
    I live in North Jersey. No sleeping in this Rainy night, reading up on Lemon Laws.
  • Options
    I was not charged a fee, they charged VW. Once I contacted the lawyer, via email because he was located in Atlanta, he replied and asked me to send him all of the repair receipts. Once I faxed them over he emailed me back to tell me that I did qualify for the lemon law. After maybe a month he faxed me a letter from VW which I had to sign stating that I would accept another EOS. After another month VW called me and set up a date to come in and exchange cars. Once I got there I realized that the new car was basic, it did not have all of the perks that I had paid extra for, I refused to accept it. I then called the lawyer in Georgia and he told me not to accept it and he would get back to me. A couple of weeks later the lawyer told me that they would have to custom build the car because 2009's did not come with those perks. It took maybe 3 months for them to ship another car. No, they would not give me any money to purchase another type of car, however they did upgrade my 2007 to a 2009 and transferred all of my paper work over so that my car note was the same and I ended up with a 2009 for the price of a 2007.
  • Options
    photogal57photogal57 Member Posts: 13
    I'min Nj. Contacted 1-800-lemonlaw. VW had to switch my 2007 with a 2009. I kept my note...a new cr for the price of a 2007-As stated above, guarantees change. They would not honor a four year waranty. Had not have a 3 yrs with free maint.One caution however, if you don't rack up the miles, the maint is relatively useless. I put approx 6000 miles on a year. The oil changes are every 10000 miles or 1 year....as well as the tire rotations. If you want those things sooner, you have to pay for it. I ended up with a Komfort which had what I had in mine but ended up being cheaper than what I paid...so they added to IPOD attachment..I don;t use it but when I give the car to my son, he will...won't be doing that for quite a while yet.
    One thing...has anyone run into trouble with the computer/gas tank connection? I had the gas gauge go to zero after I filled it. Then went to normal. After that, I noticed the the function that shows you how much gas you're burning while driving started to fluctuate...from ---- to 4 to 16 to 30 to 57 to 119 to 3.....I was told that there was short. They said they fixed it but It's still happening. It should hover in the 20s and 30s. I love my car but here we go again. At least it doesn't seemposessed (windows going down or leaks....yet.
  • Options
    I didn't get a lawyer, didn't need one. I rejected all the offers they made me to give me a new and buy mine back. :lemon: They started getting rude with me when they realized I wasn't going to be able to be "taken". I didn't want another EOS, if I had taken their offer to buy mine back I would have cleared about 3K, instead I went arbitration and cleared about 11K which put me in a nice position to buy my 2010 Ford Mustang Convertible. If ANYONE wants advice I would be more than happy to discuss with you. Contact me at my screen name at AO...

Jeff
  • Options
    VW left me a message said they are willing to pay for 1 month car payment for 3 weeks of me not have a car while in repair. But as for other damages such as brand new GPS and personal items, VW said they will not pay and that I should go to my own insurance. What!? THAT made me mad.
    I agreed to the dealer to wait out 2 weeks see if the mildew smell goes away, so far it has not and my trunk even smells bad too.
    I'm in the process of going through the proper paper work with BBB, and will hold off on any more offer by VW, skip lawyers for the time being.
    My goal now is to get rid of this car, since many scratches cause during the repair cannot be fixed, and I also have a rust issue on my hands to deal with.
    Trade for another? I looked into the 2009 VW Eos choices, unfortunately, they no longer have Turbo model like mine, although I have extras (such as ipod, heated seats, mats), I don't care for the next model up (Komfort) because I don't like the wood panel interior look, unless they can custom-made mine. Of couse, must have stick shift or why bother, so the other higher model is out of question as well.
    Thank for the follow up. Excellent tips from everyone, especially not settle for offer I don't use, like free maint., when I drive about 5~6K a year too.
    I will call VW to reject their offer on Monday.
  • Options
    I will fill out all paper work necessary received from BBB; if I get no where, then I'll get a lawyer. However, your result of getting Custom build is hopeful for me (see my other reply). I really do love this car, want exactly the SAME replacement (minus the leak of course), do not need any upgrade of other model except latest year.
    So much rain in NJ lately to test out the repairs. But the scratches and the rust will not fix itself, I shouldn't settle for that.
  • Options
    lm66lm66 Member Posts: 1
    If you don't mind my asking -- did you only have a water leak or other problems with the EOS? I have several issues, minor leaks, wind noise and oil usage. I am in the middle of the lemon law process. Did you do anything specifically to obtain cash settlement instead of a replacement vehicle?
  • Options
    Email me at this screen name at A...OH .. EL....
    I will respond with my notes and thoughts.

Jeff
  • Options
    When you say "only a water leak" it completely flooded the inside of the car, three times. The garage must have experienced similar problems with other owners as they did not hesitate to replace the car when requested. I did not go for a refund as I particulary wanted a VW so I do not know what the reaction would have been if I had requested money.
  • Options
    I looked at mikeh9's earlier post, I also had the similar issue with at least a cup or 2 of water collecting on both sides of door (near hinge) when I open after rain or even a car wash (I do it by hand), I asked VW many times, they said "This is normal", as if I'm don't know what I'm talking about. Now since I had to take it in for the Interior Flood, they place a weep hole on the rubber seal which "solved" this problem. Meanwhile, VW told me this was addressed by them sending "Technical Bulletin" to the dealerships, make them aware of the problem and provide solution. I challenged them why they don't provide notices to owners so we are not brushed aside from our concerns? VW said this is internal info., and like issues will not be posted for the public or recalled. So I really appreciate this website for us to share our experiences and knowledge.
    As for the status of my car, VW is willing to pay 1 month of my car payment (being no use of car for 3 weeks). They refuse to pay for other personal items damaged (new GPS, etc.) said I must go through my own insurance!
    So, I filed with BBB under the lemon law since I fit all requirements. After airing out my car for over 2 weeks (as requested by the dealer), it still smells bad! I don't drive it anymore, I drive my old Honda Accord with 208K miles & no A/C because the mildew odor makes me sick!
  • Options
    Static noise of radio speakers; trunk gets shut too quick after using release; sun roof & all windows didn't open with 1 button (re-programmed); water collecting on both sides of door hinge area, of course, the last straw, the flood, mildew & rust (caused by right corner drain being clogged)... now some new scratch damages occured during roof repair.
    I don't know about oil usage, but lately I smell something burning and wonder if it's other car around me?
  • Options
    chump2chump2 Member Posts: 8
    my daughter has a 2008 EOS she loves it but se gets major moisture on the inside of the windows , i assume this is because of a water leak into the car . last year the dealer replace the gaskets an it was better now the moisture is back . we are bringing to the gealer agin this week o check it out . also the window wont open when it gets to freezing they told us we may have to thow some warm water on the window in the morning so they open . not likeing this at all . any comments would be appriciated .
  • Options
    Check that carpets are not damp as that is normally the cause of moisture on inside of windows. Mine used to flood regularily and eventually I had to insist that VW replaced the vehicle with the VW Sportline estate with panoramic roof. Not quite the same I know but at least it is dry inside. Unfortunately VW will not admit that there is a major problem which is criminal as far as I am concerned. Peugeot and Ford do not apparently have this problem but I understand that Mercedes build the Peugeot collapsible roof and Ford build their own or so I am led to believe. Either way I would not buy another cc.
  • Options
    lancelotlinklancelotlink Member Posts: 18
    Again I've got to say... There seem to be a few problem Eos's out there, but I think the silent majority are very happy with their cars! (fingers crossed)
  • Options
    chump2chump2 Member Posts: 8
    carpets are damp , i guess thats it we are bringing to the dealer tomorrow
    the othe problem we have is the door window freeze and wont move when you unlock the doors , and if you open the door to fast it wont close because the window never went down that 1/4 inch to clear the gasket , the dealer told us last year to take a cup of warm water out to the car and throw it on the window
    my comment to him was ARE YOU freaking nuts
    thanks
  • Options
    david198david198 Member Posts: 5
    You guys don't need new seals. There is a procedure listed in you owners manual that outlines seal treatment. This is to be done every six months. The treatment product is available at all VW dealerships. Most dealers don't know about this treatment so take your manual in and show them. They can order it, the part number is in the manual.

The product they (VW) sells will treat the seals and make them swell up afterwards. The seals become soft and pliable also. I have used this product myself on my seals on our 08 EOS. We had water leaks before the treatment and now have none. I even took a hose and sprayed water directly on the roof and window seals and could not make my car leak water. I takes about a half an hour to treat your seals around the windows and roof top.
  • Options
    leakyaussieleakyaussie Member Posts: 3
    I have had leaks in my car since I bought it 17 months ago . The water test here in Australia is the service team throwing a bucket of water over the roof and saying it passes. The last two leaks caused the boot and petrol cap to malfunction as well as the locking and unlocking.

Last week the rain was so heavy it was the first time I had water gushing in through both windows. The speakers were full of water and I had to stop every 30 minutes to empty the inside of the doors.
    The dealership have advised (it has been in being repaired since last week) that if I have major issues I will need to contact Volkswagen Australia as they deal with refunds and replacements etc.
    The first number I was given by the dealership was disconnected. The second number was for breakdowns and they could not assist with a customer service number. I was also told that the leaks were very rare and taht I was the only car with this issue. I now know this is not true !!

I have emailed the contact us on their website and have heard nothing. I am due to pick up my car tomorrow (again ) I am really concerned with the possible damage to the electronics , inside floor, floor of car etc.Any advise on how to proceed with getting a replacement vehicle (hopefully with no leaks ) or a refund.

I must say I love my car when it doesnt rain. I am disappointed that I will now be going down this path.
  • Options
    Welcome to the Unhappy Eos group. I am in NJ/USA, we have option to file a complaint to "Better Business Bureau" where manufactor must respond to the lemon law (if fits the criteriar). I'm going through this process myself, since my roof leaked so bad that I had a flood INSIDE. One sniff of the car, after it has been repaired and aired out for over 1 month, the regional rep agreed to replace my car. I'm still waiting... Although my first choice was to return it, since I lost the use of it during the best season, they refuse to this idea... long story. Anyway, my advice is to find out in Aussie if you has similar consumer protection agencies.
    Another concern my neighbor brought up is, even if it has been repair NOW or eventually, in my case, the water damages may cause future unforeseen rust on your electronics and mechanics. Something that can cost you plenty of $ to repair once the warranty expires, since rust may take a while to eat through the wires etc.
    I agree, I love this car, but dry and use the top down because it's a beautiful day, NOT because I can't breathe, it smells so bad!
  • Options
    bones66bones66 Member Posts: 1
    I've had an EOS for 2 years and have travelled 60,000kms (I live in Australia near Sydney). It's normally parked outside and I've never had any leaks. I have lubricated the special rubber seals with the right lubricant and so far all is good. No leaks at all. Search the net and you'll find the VW tech instructions on how to do it - quite straight forward - but don't use it on any seal except the ones in the instructions - normal rubber can't absorb the lubricant. It's expensive stuff, but is available from non VW sources.
  • Options
    Thank for your tip. As of today, I only have 7,200 miles on this car, purchased March 08. I stop driving it because the smell is terrible. VW is working on getting me a new one, but they want over $2K from me for a Komfort model, because they no longer make my Turbo model in 09. I don't think I should have to pay the difference. What do you think?
  • Options
    Cadd, contact me at my screen name at AOL.
  • Options
    I sent you an Email there, in case you check here too.
    I just re-read your comments, that you got out and have a Ford instead. I would like to keep Eos, since I prefer FWD & manual trans in the snow.
    The only other complaint is the blind spot, which I don't think they'll change because the roof need the heavy support.
  • Options
    paul34bpaul34b Member Posts: 33
    Well as nervous as I was when I purchased my 2008 EOS 18 months ago, I never had any leaks from above, meaning the roof area. My leaks came from under the car somewhere.

I had been smelling a moldy odor for a few months that got progressively worse until the end of July 09 so I brought my EOS in for an evaluation. My car was in the shop for over a week. VW did admit there were bad seals from the under-carriage area and water had been soaking under the carpets for some time. Interestingly enough the carpets were never wet to the touch. All carpets, matting and some new seals were replaced throughout the car and windows. No charge to me thank goodness. I did have a big problem but VW did remedy the issue. Oh yea aside from the moldy smell the interior windows would be fogged up every morning. That was another sign something was off. To date it looks like the issue has been solved. My car smells clean again and no moisture inside. It did take over a month to get rid of the moldy smell though.
  • Options
    Glad the smell & fog up are gone, you're lucky! But look under the peddles, my steering rod was completely rusted. Even after they removed the entire carpet and insulation, I can't ever get rid of the smell. I think seats are also a factor.
    Good luck to you. Beware of other electrical erosion/rust in the future.
  • Options
    jade13jade13 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2007 Eos a couple months ago and don’t think I have a seal leak issue but another water issue. When I went to look at it in the car lot and opened the drivers door a waterfall came out of the bottom of the door. The sale person said there is a pipe that comes from the windshield area that flows down to the door and releases the water. I have never heard of this before but he said it wasn’t an issue because there were probably a couple leaves that plugged up the pipe and they will clean it out. He said it was a “one off” situation and I believed him since I have never ever seen this before and I’ve owned many cars in my time. A couple days after I purchased the car I did have one day where the windows were quite fogged up but nothing since. The car goes from underground pkg to underground pkg so I’ve never had an issue with more fog or waterfalls…until last week. We had quite the down pour one evening and it was left parked outside for 4 hours in the rain. I got back to the car and another waterfall came out of the bottom of the door. This can’t be normal! Any suggestions out there?