Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS Tires and Wheels

2»

Comments

• billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Because your car as the all season tires- the RWD car has the performance tires that burns rubber rapidly.
  • wets33wets33 Member Posts: 3
    You can buy the G Spyder wheels for about $200 each at lexuspartsmall.com.
  • kalakala Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2006 GS300 with about 7000 miles. All four of my stock 17 inch 10-spoke wheels have corrosion or the finish is bubbling around the center cap area. I was wondering if any other Lexus owners are experiencing the same or similar problem with their wheels?
  • forextraderforextrader Member Posts: 1
    Dealer/Lexus should replace at no charge, F.Y.I I received recall notice on 3 items: 9LA fuel delivery pipe, 9LC Lexus Power steering link and 9LB rear brake dust boot on my 2006 GS300 AWD with 29k miles

I made service appointment and mentioned all 4 wheels are corroding with the LF the worse. Car was in the shop for 2 days covered the recalls and gave me an ES350 for loaner

Dealer called and said they were replacing all 4 rims at there cost but would be several days to get them in. No arguments or questions. Understand that even with the atrocious Cleveland weather, roads, salt snow, I personally wash the car in my garage at least once possibly twice a week depending on how much I've been on the roads. Also while the car has been in the shop for the recalls they attempted to fix the rattles in the dash. Dash began to rattle a week later all over again. Love the car but the problems and recalls are getting annoying and while it has been no cost for repairs I never thought I would have these type of issues.
  • kalakala Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for your response. The corrosion on your rims confirms to me that my problem is not an isolated problem. I forgot to mention that my Lexus dealer is also replacing all 4 of my rims with no arguments.

My powersteering failed on me last year. To correct the problem they replaced the entire powersteering unit.

I too agree that I never expected to have these problems, but I must say that the dealer has been very good about correcting them under the warranty. Excellent support so far.
  • toyguy2toyguy2 Member Posts: 1
    I've decided to upgrade to a 1999/2000 GS 400, from the ES 300. What should I watch out for and look for in terms of inspecting and asking what has been done to the vehicle. Especially things you all deal with on your GS 400. Much appreciated
    Regards :) Rog
  • prema1prema1 Member Posts: 21
    Anyone have experience with replacing the runflats with regular tires? Does it add a lot of weight to add the spare? Does the GS have a donut or would I need a full-size spare?

Is the handling negatively impacted? The tech said the suspension settings are designed for RFTs...
  • addamsaddams Member Posts: 74
    Is the handling negatively impacted? Tons of better tires to replace those crapy RF's. The tech said the suspension settings are designed for RFTs? That's BS
    I ended up buying the Michelin PilotSport PS2s with ZP (runflat). They are awesome. Feel very similar to the non runflat PS2, and offer tremendous grip. The ride is noticeably softer than the Bridgestones and quieter over bumps.
  • grim_714grim_714 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 GS300 that i purchased used with clean carfax 2 years ago. 60,000miles. When I drive on the highway around 70+mph I get a lot of vibration from front suspension and the car wants to pull left or right really bad. There is a lot of play in the steering at those speeds and feels really unstable. All the tires are new and just got an allinment. Im scared to drive my 2yr old son in the car because it feels so unsafe. Can anyone help me solve this problem. No money for dealer to look at. please help.
  • whycuscreek70whycuscreek70 Member Posts: 2
    I live in an area that gets snow and ice quite often and being in Central Oregon most of the tire dealers don't have equipment to service run flat tires or they don't have any run flat replacement tires. I elected to have the dealer install non run-flat tires before I picked up my new car. They installed Dunlop (which I think are about the cheapest tires they could find) and installed them. The ride and noise was really bad so I purchased Hankook studless snow tires and have about 20K on them and they're quiet handle well and I don't have to change out to studded tires in the winter. They handle well in snow and ice. I've put Michelin Xice on our Honda Pilot and have been happy with them as well. They tell me they wear out more rapidly than an all season but I don't mind as I like the ride and no noise and save at least $100 a year in changeout costs. So far I like them. I installed Yokahama on my honda pilot studless ice tires and they lasted 3 years with no issues as well. I don't like waiting in line for hours for the tire companys to change out from summer to winter tires. Just my $.02 :)
  • kkelexusgs300kkelexusgs300 Member Posts: 1
    I would appreciate a recommendation for NEW tires. I live in Illinois with terrible winters, so it needs to be good in SNOW. Also, this car is a rear wheel drive. Thanks, KKELexusGS300
    If I lived in Illinois I would switch between summer tires and snow tires.

However, I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S if you want all season tires.
  • jjnxr7njjnxr7n Member Posts: 2
    need new tires for my 2006 gs300 live in tennessee and suggestion like to get
    tires with some milage warrenty the v rated tire don't last long
  • uscfanuscfan Member Posts: 4
    I have a a gs 350 07. had it since it was new.. drive 30k miles a year so i have experimentd alot. Best tires are the recently introduced(august 09') Kumho LX Platinums. Thet are z rated and come with a 60,000 mile tread warranty. First of its kind. Very quiet and super smooth. Plus they are all season. I have 20k miles on them and can tell by the tread I will go another 25k easy. they are still quiet and as long as your not running a slalom course you'll be fine. They are in high demand so your local tire shop may have to order them in advance. I paid about a grand installed on them(CAlifornia price) which is extremely reasonable) good luck.
  • juanjohnjuanjohn Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 gs460 that I had aligned about 2 months ago due to constant pulling to the right and aggressively drifts to either side when driving over uneven road. So much so that I now drive the car like an old lady because the car is so unpredictable. On a couple of occasions the car drifted so fast that I would have ended in the next lane had I not turned the wheel a 1/4 turn just to keep the car straight. One thing I've notice is that it random. Sometimes the car drives fine and other times it's completely unpredictable. I have taken it to the dealer twice and both times they focus on the aligment. Is anyone else having this problem? if so, can you offer a fix. The dealer said it's a defective front tire. They're full of crap cause I had the front tire rotated to the rear and it's still drifting.
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    According to TSB-0174-08
    Vehicle Pulling Caused by Wheel Alignment
    Vehicle Pulling Caused by Tire Conicity

Your dealer did the alignment twice and the problem still exists. That sounds like
    the pulling is caused by the tires.

One test you can do.
    if the car is constantly pulling to one side, you can swap the front tires, L to R, R to L,
    and see if the car pulls to other side.

From the TSB:
    Conicity is lateral force resulting from uneven formation of the left and right sides of the tire. The direction the lateral force is exerted depends on the hardness of the side walls and the difference in height between the left/right sides of the tire.

NOTE
    ^ In the case of vehicle pulling caused by tires, the lateral force which is exerted as a result of conicity has the greatest effect. On a flat road, if the steering wheel is held without exerting steering effort for 109 yards (100 m) when traveling at 62 mph (100 km/h), the vehicle may drift as much as 5 feet (1.5 m).

^ When vehicle pulling is due to conicity, the amount of drift can be reduced and the direction of drift can be changed by changing the location of the tire or reversing the tire when installing it on the wheel.
    Thank you for your response. My problem is not due to alignment, it's due to some sort of faulty steering mechanism. I have rotated the tires to the rear and it's still drifting. The drifting is not side specific cause it drifts to what ever side the road pulls it to. The drifting is the least of my concerns. My main concern is that the car will aggressively shoot into the next lane when I roll over uneven pavement. If I'm not holding the steering wheel firmly, I will end up in the lane to the left or right instantly. In some cases, I have to turn the wheel 1/4 turn against the direction that it's pulling just to keep the car going straight.
  • whoa1whoa1 Member Posts: 1
    I had a 400h and it was pulling to the right and it lunged over to a utility pole causing me to roll 4x5 times. Any thoughts?
    Unfortunately I do not have any answers. I'm still trying to get Lexus to do a thorough inspection of the steering mechanism. So far they have refused citing that the car has been aligned and no problem exists. Frankly, I'm going to give it one more try and if they can't/wont fix it, I will be selling the car and never buying another Lexus.
    couple days ago with the same RFT.
    Got 40k miles out of them.
  • kymbiggarkymbiggar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 GS350 with steering issues. I think it is a combination of issues that occur. First the steering is electronic and very sensitive. Second, the tires are wide and low profile. Third, when the road has uneven surface, patterns or wheel ruts (like the wagon wheel days), the GS350 can take off on its own if you are not driving the car, it will drive you. On a smooth road surface or corner, the car performs extremely well but introduce these other issues and problems can occur.
  • thesherriffthesherriff Member Posts: 11
    I bought an '08 GS 350 AWD and at a little under 24K miles over 14 months the dealer is telling me I have 3 bad tires??!!! Has anyone had issues with tires wearing out this soon?
    I have a 2008 GS 460 with 6,000 mile on the tires. They are Michelin Pilots 2 and they look like they are 50% worn. I spoke to the shop foreman at my Lexus service dept. and he confirmed that these cars go through tires faster than most. I will be looking for cheaper tires next time around. Are you having any steering issues like I am. The car seems to follow grooves on the road making me very uncomfortable to the point that my wife will not ride in the car anymore.
    My 2008 GS 460 is in the shop for the same problem. It has been aligned 3 times in the past 4 months cause the service department claims it's cause by miss alignment. If that's the case, why is it going out of alignment so quick? Now they are stating that my tires (Michelin Pilot 2) are bad. I finally took the shop foreman for a ride and he confirmed that there is something wrong with my steering along with the type of tires I have. These are Original Equipment Tires. Toyota currently has a recall for defective steering which my friend who is a mechanic for toyota told me will eventually be a recall on lexus models as well.
    Agree with your assessments. Something is not right with the steering wheel with my 07GS350.
    Couple times on a snowy & inclined road, from a complete stop I turned the wheel to the left to make a left turn, gave it a little gas, instead of going to the left, the car slided to the right. Lucky enough, there wasn't any cars around at the time.
    Just replaced the original run flat tires on my 07GS350AWD last week.
    The tires had 40K miles on them and still passed the quarter (coin) tread depth test in the middle grooves. Inner tread & outer tread wore out evenly on all 4 tires.
  • cfriskcfrisk Member Posts: 4
    THAT JUST HAPPEN TO ME.THERE IS A BUTTON ON THE PASSAGE SIDE UNDER THE GLOVE DEPT BOX.U HAVE LOOK REALLY GOOD ITS THERE.PUSH IT ONE TIME.PROBLEM FIXED.NO MORE CHECK SYSTEM LIGHT.I WAS HAPPY TOO.
  • smr36smr36 Member Posts: 59
    "07 GS 350 RWD needed replacement tires for 18" wheels after 20k miles. Original tires were very expensive Michelin Primacy. Very good handling but too much road noise for me. Replaced w/ Pilot Sports A/S. Couldn't be happier but they're new so time will tell.
  • vince34vince34 Member Posts: 1
    I have a GS350. It will drift at the smallest inperfection on the road. Kinda scary. Have to hold steering at 2 and 10 at all times. Problem duplicated with Lexus mechanic but lexus cant find anything wrong ! Say could be torque bump(?). Any answers ?
  • kengallmankengallman Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2005 LS 430 with 18'' and will trade anyone for 17''. have all 5 in excellent cond. and tires are good.
  • veaseyrveaseyr Member Posts: 1
    I just logged into this forum to find out what tires everyone was using and felt good about. I have a 2008 GS350 RWD with 27000 miles. I just notice this pulling the last two days myself at stop lights where car and trucks make heavy indentions in the road. I thought my car and steering wheel was pulling to the left awfully hard. I thought the grooves in the road must have been deeper than I expected. I have 5 cars and none of them has ever pulled so hard to the left at this stop light. If everything you say here is true about alignment. Then why is it my other cars (2004 Murano, 2005 Altima, 2001 Maxima or 1999 Maxima) do not or has ever had this issue. It was not just at this one traffic light. I also had this happen where I could hardly see any grooves in the road, but again at a traffic light.

Now that I am reading this, I can see I was not imagining this. I will have to keep an eye on this now.

As far as tires wear goes. People do need to realize this sports car with soft rubber compound. This is how they get the car to handle and stick to the road so well. It is normal for these tires to only last between 20-30,000 miles. You can buy a 280 or 320 rubber compound tire, but they won't stick the road like a Z 120-180 rated rubber, especially on wet surfaces. But a 280 should last you 40,000 miles on this car. With that said, the car will have a harder ride and more road noise in the car from the tires. Anyone who wanted an even quiter ride from their tires should have bought a ES or LS ( no road noise at all). I did not like that.
  • acenology9acenology9 Member Posts: 3
    I also have a Lexus GS300 with 66k, and all 4 of my rims (wheels) have corrosion and bubbling paint. I told Hoffman Lexus of East Hartford CT about the problem yesterday and when I got my car back today, they said that the wheels can be refinished for about $200 - $250 per wheel.

That's BS, this is my 6th car and I never had problems with bubbling paint or wheel corrosion with factory wheels before. This must be a defect and Lexus should warranty the repair or offer us new wheels. I think that there was a batch of wheels made that weren't properly cleaned prior to painting.

Anyone else out there? Wonder if this could be a future recall.

BTW: Get RID of your RUN FLATS; absolute worse tire ever. I switched to Continental DWS and the ride in my GS is noticeably improved. Plus they are super quiet and more forgiving on bumps.
  • lz4004lz4004 Member Posts: 37
    I`ve got a 2008 gs350 with 13k. I have a appointment at hoffman this mon. 9/26 on this wheel corrosion-bubbles. You didn`t mention the year on your car.
    I assume mine is under the 4yr. warranty. I`ll let you know.
  • lz4004lz4004 Member Posts: 37
    Hoffman lexus refinished my wheels at no cost. I`m disappointed that the finish they did was not like the original wheels, a brushed nickel shine. I might look for some chrome one by tsw. The point is beware if your going to layout $250 per wheel, they won`t be the same. Go aftermarket.
  • acenology9acenology9 Member Posts: 3
    Got fed up with looking a my factory wheels in such bad shape... Wrote to Lexus Customer Service and NCDS.

Iz4004; it's a 2006 GS300

">
  • momafleamomaflea Member Posts: 8
    which yokohamas, s-drive? I have had 3 set of yokohamas on my old gs300. The s-drive are the worse. sounds like a 4x4. The other 2 sets were yk520. They were the most quietest tire I had ever put on that car. They also held up very well, mileage was great. The s-drive started out quiet but got noisier and noisier and finally around 23000 miles I just couldn't stand it anymore and had the yk520 put back on. The s-drive still at that point had a 6 on the tire guage left.