Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• mnallamnalla Member Posts: 6
    The price is $1500 over invoice and is the best I can seem to get after contacting over 5 dealers. The LC is completely loaded - nav, conv pkg, floor mats, wood trim and I am being offered $52.5.

Looks like it will the black with a tan interior.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    There are some others available for less. Keep shopping.
  • gonasgonas Member Posts: 5
    I have a black '98 LC with the medium grey bumpers & body side-moldings. The body side-moldings also contain a light grey insert. My problem is finding the medium grey touch-up paint in a standard small container & brush applicator. I only need it to touch-up some stone chips on the bumpers. The local dealers (2 of them) tell me the paint code has been discontinued by Toyota. I find this hard to believe. I have been able to acquire the light grey, but not the medium grey.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, do you know a good source for the paint? I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thanks

John G
    I live in the Los Angeles area and had been shopping around for about 10 days for a new '02 Land Cruiser. I called up several dealers to check their stock position and also prices. I finally e-mailed several dealers and many did NOT respond. I was working on a deal with Longo (supposedly the largest in the country) and also Wondries. After the initial quote Wondries did not respond. Was very close to signing the papers at Longo but was not convinced of their final price and their trade-in for my 00 Passat GLX was was below market value (what amazes me is Longo was challenged by the Toyota Chairman to sell 2,500 cars this month and still would not deals with me against the competition). So I decided to shorp around and wait to see if I can sell it on my own. Boy was I glad I decided to wait!

A mutual contact had put me in touch with Dianne Whitmire at Carson Toyota and it must have been my luck day. She was a real rarity amongst dealers today - she was very up front, straight forward and honest. No hidden charges or add-ons. She gave me her best price which was significantly less than Longo and she along with Michael Chase provided excellent service. Their finance team was also very easy to deal with and gave me a great lease deal, even better (rates, terms, mileage, etc) than Longo. Drove home our new '02 LC (Blue Mica with Ivory leather) yesterday.

I would whole heartedly recommend Dianne and her team at Carson. She consistently seems to out perform other local dealers in the area on prices and needless to say service. I have found my Toyota team/dealer for life!

Thanks Dianne and Mike.

Murali
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    Dianne used to be a regular poster of very informative info and such. Glad to see she is still doing well and moving the TLC.

Best of luck.
  • mgemmamgemma Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me when the 2003 LC will be out and the expected interior changes - increase in pricing? I was about to purchase a 2002 - taking a month (July) to be delivered... with a discount of $5000 over list. Should I wait for the 2003 and the changes?
    I looked into possibly getting a '03 LC as well but I was informed by 2 different dealers that there will be minimal changes, if any expect for the price which is expected to go up as it does every year.

Both dealers interestingly did tell me that Toyota is planning to import 30-40% less LC's for '03 than they did in '02 and also they do NOT plan to discontinue the LC in '05 as commonly reported. However in '05 or earlier there will be a potential re-design with more distinction between the LC and the Lexus.

I got a great deal on the '02 LC from Dianne at Carson Toyota and you will probably get better deals now on '02 versus an '03 a few months from now. Hope this helps.

Murali
  • gbhopper2gbhopper2 Member Posts: 25
    The 03 LX 470 will have a new dash, controls on the steering wheel, side air bags, 18" wheels, a new front and some changes in the rear. Maybe the Cruiser will get the same.
  • pachopacho Member Posts: 9
    Hookba #1700
    My '93 LC is rated at 212 horsepower (new). As far as mileage, over the four years I've owned it I average around 12 to 13 mpg city driving. The best highway I can do is about 16. After 130k miles, the only non maintenance-related repairs have been axle and joint work related to extensive offroading. The engine is still flawless with instant starts. Transmission is fine. Brake pads get replaced yearly.

Problems...of the original 9 factory speakers only four still produce good sound. I've just been too lazy to fix this little annoyance. Also, the San Diego sun has wiped out about 50% of the clearcoat on my horizontal surfaces, so check for oxidation/clearcoat when shopping. These are very minor problems for a ten-year old car.

Landcruisers rock! Have fun.
  • saupe130saupe130 Member Posts: 36
    I've got a black 96 TLC and a black 98 Tacoma. Black is beautiful, baby! My first car was a black 1964 El Camino, and I've got a black Yamaha V-Max. Not Goth or anything. Just love black when it's polished up nice. Good luck with that!
  • fj100fj100 Member Posts: 97
    Hey guys and girls in LC and LX land,

I have a '99 LC with 58k miles and it has a dash rattle. I love this truck but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue. The rattle is coming from the center of the dash, near the windshield, I thought possibly something had dopped in the vents however, if I push down on the dash (or pull up easily by the vents) the rattle stops.
    Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so was it remedied by a trip to the Dealership? If they have to remove the whole dash it seems that will get fairly expensive, just because it is time intensive.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
  • ironside7ironside7 Member Posts: 38
    I have a '98 with the same rattle problem, but have never looked into getting it fixed. This seems to be a problem (one of the few) with most '98 and above TLCs. Please let us know if you have any luck getting it fixed.
  • lisa54lisa54 Member Posts: 11
    This afternoon I had a strange thing happen with my LC. I started it and the warning lights lit up and the seatbelt chime came on, but after I fastened my seatbelt, the chime turned into a constant buzz. None of the warning lights are on, so I assume it is an electrical problem. The sound stops when I turn the car off.
    Since the dealership I normally use doesn't have an appointment with a loaner car available for another week, I was wondering if anyone else has had this occur.

Thanks
    It most likely isn't going to be a big issue to wait a week just a constant annoyance. However the no loaner free for a week. Well, I bet sales reps and mgrs have dealer cars and I bet they are sitting there all day doing nothing. So if you drive and service a nice TLC that you bought there I think they should be able to produce a loaner. Call your sales rep he should be taking care of you.
  • seanslx450seanslx450 Member Posts: 11
    I just bought a 97 lexus lx 450 and want to add the tow package. What does the package consist of? Thanks in advance.
  • seanslx450seanslx450 Member Posts: 11
    I think I figured it out from past postings. You pretty much get the correct hitch and the trailer wiring adaptor kit and install both. I understand that the vehicle already has a transmission cooler. If I am mistaken, please correct me.
    Thanks.
  • sjennsjenn Member Posts: 1
    I have been shopping for a new SUV. Have a '93 grand jeep Cherokee. Need a little more room and want a newer car. I had decided to find a '01 LX470 because I was afraid the LC wouldn't keep its market value as a used car if it is discontinued. I read one post saying that this is not true. How to find out the truth whether they are going to keep making them? A Lexus dealer said they weren't making them any more and a Toyota dealer the same. Who has the truth?
    Thanks
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Sean, check out this site: reeseprod.com. They make all the hitches that are installed on Toyota SUV's in the Southeast. It's a high quality hitch. Looks like you can do a search on your make and model for the hitch as well as the wiring. Also, they have a retailer search engine.
  • 9411794117 Member Posts: 39
    The Land Cruiser and LX470 will be modified slightly (see insidelexus.com - side airbags, new headlights...) for 2003 and 2004 and maybe some big changes will come in 2005. The type of vehicle the Land Cruiser is might change a bit but I'd be surprised if Toyota didn't sell something called a Land Cruiser in America in 2005 (and 2003).
  • ravickravick Member Posts: 18
    Lisa, I had the same thing happen about a month ago on my 2000 LC. If the buzz you are alluding to is a high pitched noise like the one you would hear when your radio is not tuned to any station in particular (although the noise is not coming from the radio), then it is probably the same problem I experienced. Soon as I drove it into the dealership, the service manager instantly recognized what it was. It was apparently a relay that had gone bad and needed to be replaced. It took them about 5 days to get the part in. In the meanwhile, I continued to drive the truck with the radio turned on really loud so as to mask this annoying noise out as much as possible. I had approximately 50K miles on the vehicle. I'm curious to know how many miles you had on yours when this happened.
  • philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
    I thought the LX470 would get all the modification new grill,lights and side air bags and not the LC?Can anybody help us on this. thank you.
  • sawmilldriversawmilldriver Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2001 TLC without nav. Does anybody have any recommendations on a good aftermarket navigation system that can be installed in the dash (replacing the existing stereo) or is there another way to do this?
  • 9411794117 Member Posts: 39
    ...at Toyota City so making them as similar as possible is probably the cheapest way for them to go. Maybe the headlights will be Lexus-only but stuff like the side airbags and steering wheel controls should be installed on the 2003 LC.
  • semanticssemantics Member Posts: 51
    Landcruiser is not going to be discontinued at all. There are slated to be small changes in the front fascia and the interior appointments for 2003, but nothing important to report yet!
  • macondawgmacondawg Member Posts: 2
    I need to purchase an SUV which will be my daily driver, only about 10,000 miles a year though. Found several 92 LCs but all have high miles, over 140,000. Does not really bother me but I want your opinions. Is that a problem, should I save up and get a newer one with fewer miles? Anything specific to check when inspecting one? Thanks
  • lisa54lisa54 Member Posts: 11
    The interior noise I had was more like a constant seatbelt chime, similar to a smoke detector. I found it was giving me a headache (could have been the volume of the radio) so I found another dealer that was able to fix it this past Saturday. It turned out to be a bad control box. By the way, I only have about 32,000 miles on mine.

Coincidentally, I recieved a letter from the dealership about buying an extended warranty before the factory warranty ended. I remember reading a post quite a while ago about buying it online. I'm not a fan of the extended warranties because they never seem to cover what's wrong with the car, but if I could buy one at a good price it may pay. Anybody with the pros/cons?
    I was considering the same but ended up getting a great deal on a '02 with Nav. When I had researched this I found that the best after market option is a free standing unit that sits on your dash made by Garmin. I think it is called the pilot. It is DVD/GPS based and plugs into the cigarette lighter. The only problem is you have to program it with your PC each time you go into another region. The benefit is it is totally portable and is not bad. Rand Mc Nally retail stores sell them but you can find it for less on-line. Also if you have a PDA, especially the Windows CE by Compaq, I think there are several kits that convert them for navigation that also feature voice and can be plugged into you cigarette lighter. Hope this helps.

Murali
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    On line shopping is a good idea for the extended warranty. Allow me to give you a few pointers here, as this is part of my job. First, don't take any warranty that is not a genuine Toyota Platinum plan. Some dealers offer "aftermarket" warranties and they can be trouble. They are less expensive, but rarely cover as many components as the Toyota plan.

Toyota also has a gold level plan, but again, the list of covered components misses some big things, such as the CD player and traction control system. Complete coverage details can be found at www.toyota.com.

The warranty for the Cruiser is the most expensive one we sell. This is due to the complexity of the vehicle. MSRP on the 7/100K, $0 deductible plan is a whopping $2050. You can get it for a good bit less if you shop around.
  • internalmedinternalmed Member Posts: 3
    Hello all, i am new to this discussion board. I have a LC '01 with the nav and was wondering who makes it and how can you update it. I live here in florida and they have changed a lot of the interstate exits and added a lot of new roads since the year 2000 data that the system has. I have repeatedly called Toyota and no one has a clue about updates.
    Lisa54 the website Cliffy1 is talking about is www.toyotawarranty.com it is a legit Toyota dealer who is using the internet to move more warranties. I have to agree about the platinum coverage. I do have a Toyota Platinum warranty and to date it has paid out $1200 in repairs on a cost of $1300. I have a few things being done soon so it will be a wash. But my warranty is actually covering my GMC SUV (long story) so that explains the repair rate.

Cliffy1: Can you sell warranties out of state or is it against VA law?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! If anyone can answer your question it will be the fine folks who frequent this board!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • tedplanotedplano Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2001 TLC that has 13600 miles on it. I plan on keeping it for as long as it can last w/o major repairs. What are your thoughts on purchasing the Toyota Platinum warranty? Is the 84 mos/100,000 $0 deductible price of $1,630 about the best I can get (quoted from www.toyotawarranty.com)for a non-third party warranty? Is this the same warranty I would have gotten from the dealer when I purchased the TLC new?

Is "peace of mind" a stupid reason to buy this warranty on a Cruiser?

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Cliffy1, What are your latest thoughts on the Land Cruiser's future?

Thanks,
    Internalmed, We just bought a 2002 LC and the version it shows is 2001, version 1. I understand an update CD is $600 but the dealer I bought from said that they are trying to get the prices down.
    Yeah right.

Whoever dissed the Thunder Cloud color...c'mon, it's gorgeous. :)
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    Piece of mind is the only reason to buy an extended warranty. IMO if you think your vehicle is going to fall apart after 3 years, you should lease or not buy it in the first place.
    Can anyone help with this. There are holes on the front of an '02 LC that measure 8 1/2 inches apart. I am assuming there is some type of bracket that attaches there because a standard tag holes are 7" apart. If you live in state that requires front tags, could you possibly get a part number off the bracket or even say of there is one? I've emailed a couple of online Toyota parts places and they say there is no such bracket available.
  • semanticssemantics Member Posts: 51
    I have a little info about the NAV system DVDs. I have been thinking about posting this for two days, but I am unsure as to how to go about it without 50% riot, 40% "wait and see" and 10% ennui.

I guess that I cannot control reactions and want to say one thing: Retail pricing for parts/ upgrade is all I am posting. I have no clue what wholesale typical for this item is either. Suffice it to say that I am holding hope to the fact that Toyota is REALLY working to reduce the cost of this item.

Currently the MSRP of the update DVDs is $489.22 and that is for any Toyota with the DVD Navigational system, such as Landcruiser, Prius, and Camrys. Toyota is working to reduce the cost of the update DVDs. The flyer I seen have says to contact your parts department for the "latest" pricing available. It's Part Number 86807-12010. I obtained actual dealer cost of $343. and pricing of $369 to update the NAV in my very own Camry.
    Yes I can, which is why I didn't direct anybody to another web site.
    My thoughts on the future of the LC? Toyota has a lot of pride in the Land Cruiser name and heritage. It is the only vehicle they have which has been imported from day one back in 1957. For a few years, it was the only car they imported. Because of this, I don't think it will be dropped. Semantics probably has better information than I, but I don't expect it to ever go away.

As to the warranty question... it is not possible to say if it was the same that was offered at time of sale. A lot of dealers use "aftermarket" warranties and they are never as good as what you can get from the factory. If you live in the Southeast, you can't even get the Toyota warranty from a dealer because of the quirks of Toyota's distribution system. I sell a lot of these policies and have had a chance to compare the coverages to other plans and have never seen one that matches the Platinum agreement.

As to your price... its pretty good, although not a little more shopping may yield a little better price. You might want to try e-mailing other dealers' finance departments to see if you can beat that.
  • mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    Why doesn't someone buy the DVD, burn copies, and sell them to Edmunds folks at $20 a pop?
    I think they call that piracy in the record business, copyright infringement other places.

But, *cough* if you buy a new copy, and have a DVD burner *wink*, email me *elbow*. Just kidding. :)
    Given the reliability of the TLC, what is your view of purchasing an extended warranty? What percentage of buyers of new TLC's purchase an extended warranty in your opinion. My gut is that its a gamble whether you have any major repairs after the factory warranty expires and that given the Land Cruiser's reliability, the odds are in your favor that nothing major will happen.
    The value of the warranty is really an individual decision. Roughly 45% of all my customers buy an extended warranty and that figure is probably good on the Cruiser. As you point out, it is a gamble. Considering the equipment that is on a Cruiser, I don't think it is a bad gamble, especially if you have the navigation system. You also have a 6 disc CD, moonroof, two power seats, an electronically governed 4WD system and a huge number of electronic switches and computers. Most of these items are only covered under the 3/36 portion of the factory warranty.

The other thing to consider is the cost relative to the price of the vehicle. On a Corolla, the 7/100 warranty will run you around $1000 which is around 7% of the price of the car. On a Cruiser at $1600, you are only looking at around 3%. To me, that make it a pretty good value.
    Thanks for the input. I have a dealership here that is selling me the platinum warranty for $1530. I think I'll get it.
    That is a good deal. Dealer cost is $1230 and most will not sell it for less than a $400 profit. The way finance guys are paid, it usually doesn't pay to do the paperwork unless it sells for more.
    When I go in to purchase the warranty, how do I make sure it is a genuine toyota warranty and not an 'aftermarket'?. They said it was a toyota product and the price was from a TFS book. This was their internet sales manager that I was talking to. If it says "Toyota Platinum Warranty' then its the real deal correct?
    correct. The application form has Toyota all over it.
  • drmwvrdrmwvr Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the rear coil rates are different between the '99 Cruiser with third row seating and the same model year without the third row seating? I have taken my third row seats out and my Cruiser has a definite slope towards the front that it did not have before. Others that I see do not seem to sit as high in the rear either. Thanks.
  • pachopacho Member Posts: 9
    I own a '93 Cruiser which has been near perfect (see post #1713). I'm not positive, but I think there there were engine changes between '92 and '93...probably someone else here can confirm this. If this is the case, I would bump up one year to the '93. Also, '93's come with the newer 16" wheels, whereas I believe the '92 still had the older 4-runner-style 15's. At any rate, I'm told my engine is a 300k+ mile engine. If that's true, 140,000 miles wouldn't bother me too much. I'd be more concerned with tranny, joints, driveline, etc. Take one you like to a good mechanic and have these things looked at, and you'll probably be fine.

I'm goind to start looking for a second Cruiser...90/91 FJ-62. I'd be happy with one under 150K miles. My boss's FJ-60 is at 200+, second tranny, second alternator and starter, otherwise still kickin'.

You can't go wrong with a cruiser...good luck.
  • ttlmeterttlmeter Member Posts: 6
    Cliffy1,

I live in NC and when I bought my Toyota 4Runner I bought a "3rd party" extended warranty. I now am thinking of cancelling this to get the real Toyota warranty. Where can I purchase the real deal ? I read in Post #1743 that dealers can't sell such warranty.
    Also, is it correct that any Toyota dealer in the US/Canada will honor the genuine Toyota warranty?

thanks!