Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• ttlmeterttlmeter Member Posts: 6
    I meant to say dealers in the southeast can't sell the genuine Toyota extended warranty.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • drumbolddrumbold Member Posts: 22
    Came across this site the other day for Toyota extended warranties.

http://www.toyotawarranty.com

• jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    I live in the Toyota Southest Region and wanted to know if you purchased the Toyota Platinum Warranty outside the region would the local dealers honor it?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The Toyota warranty is good anywhere in North America. Even SET dealers honor it. They can be purchased from any dealer that sells them. Edmunds rules against soliciting prevent me from being more specific as to how to contact those dealerships.
    Thanks Cliffy and everyone one else who responded so quickly! I will check out the URL in post 1757!
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    Southeast Toyota does not offer the Toyota Motor Sales (TMS) warranty because it offers the JM&A Fidelity Warranty Services, inc. (Jim Moran and Associates a division of JM Family Enterprises, inc.) extended service contracts.

It is the same as the Southeast doesn't used TMS Financial because they have their own Financial corporation (World Omni a.k.a. Southeast Toyota Finance).

All coverages are nationwide and can be fulfilled at over 5000 locations.

Ranked by Forbes magazine as the 18th-largest privately held company in the United States, JM Family Enterprises, Inc. (JMFE) is a recognized leader in the automotive industry. JMFE's visionary business practices have enabled the company to capitalize on market trends and maintain a rapid rate of growth. In January 2002, JMFE was ranked No. 20 by a survey in FORTUNE® magazine as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in America.

JM Family Enterprises, founded in 1968 by Jim Moran, has grown from a core distribution business into a diversified automotive corporation whose principal businesses focus on vehicle distribution and processing, finance and warranty services, and insurance activities. Managed by Pat Moran, chairman and chief executive officer, JMFE is a $7.1 billion force in the industry.
  • olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    And your relationship to Mr. Moran is...........
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sbell4 sells Toyotas in the "Southeast" region - so that's why he knows about the JM&A product.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    an extended warranty to cover the pain of major repairs. I have a platinum warranty with $0 deductable form TMS. I would make sure that the warranty is the same before you buy it. You may find that the 5000 locations may not include your local dealership. Just a thought.
  • hookbahookba Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking for a 93-97 Land Cruiser. I live in a town of 120000 about 70 miles from Portland, OR where Land Cruisers never hit the used car ads, so I'm probably going to have to go out of town to buy it. In looking at Cruisers on the internet, there are some real differences in price when you sort them by zip code. Phoenix seems to have the most private party sellers and, probably not by accident, the lowest mean prices. The other possibility I've thought of though is sun damage to the clear coat and upholstery. Obviously there's no rust from road salt or ocean spray.

Has anyone ever bought from an internet seller? Any thoughts on why Phoenix might be lower than elsewhere?
    With a non-Toyota warranty, here is what a conversation will sound like between the service advisor and the service director:

"Hey boss. I've got this guy with a '98 Cruiser and his moonroof cable is broken. He's got an extended warranty but its from some company called JM&A. Do you know anything about that. The customer said it was the same as the Toyota plan."

"Oh jeez. Well, if its the same as the Toyota Platinum plan, its covered but we have to figure out how to make the claim on it. If its the same as the Toyota Gold plan, it isn't covered anyway. Let me see the paperwork. Is there a phone number of something that we can call?"

"Yeah, I called already, but I've been on hold for 10 minutes. Do you have time to check for me?"

"Who is this customer? Does he live in this area now? Do we really need to go through all of this or is he just passing through?"

"Ummm... I think he moved here from North Carolina."

"Crud. Well, since he's now our customer, I guess we need to take care of him. If I can't get a hold of them today, just charge him for the job at normal warranty labor rates and then we'll see if we can't get him reimbursed. I'll let you know if I reach them so we can avoid that is possible. One way or another, we'll get paid."

Now, here is the same conversation with a Toyota platinum warranty:

Oh wait... there is no conversation no matter where in the counrty a person lives. It is just sent through normal warranty billing channels. Its covered with no questions.
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    The tough part is that some dealerships just don't want the hassle or aggrevation of trying to collect or even get the payment. Some dealers will tell you if it doesn't Say Toyota then it isn't going to be done. You may have to get prior authorization pay the bill yourself and then wait to get reimbursed.
  • seanslx450seanslx450 Member Posts: 11
    hookba, I found my 1997 lx 450 on the internet. It was a private sale on canadatrader.com. It was located in Vancouver. I phoned the person and tried to asertain if the vehicle was as represented. I came to the conclusion that this was so, and then arranged a two way flight to look at the vehicle. I told the person that if the vehicle was as represented we would have a deal as the truck was actually priced under current market value for the condition and miles. I had a certified cheque made out to the seller for a thousand less than the price of the vehicle and carried the thousand in cash in my pocket. If I did not like the vehicle all I had to do was hop back on the plane, go home and take the cheque back to my bank. As it happened the 97 was perfect except for the tires needed replacing. I made the deal for the price less the cost of new tires. Insured it and drove home.
  • ironside7ironside7 Member Posts: 38
    Hi all:

I took a long road trip over the holiday weekend in my 98 TLC. The truck performed flawlessly, as usual, but when I arrived at my destination I realized that my spare tire was gone. Thankfully I didn't get a flat tire on the trip, but if I did, it would have ruined the whole weekend (I would imagine that trying to get a replacement tire in the upper woods of Wisconsin over a holiday weekend would not be easy).
    Apparently, the thief cut through the crank down cable that holds the spare tire. What angers me is that I installed the Toyota "spare tire lock", which is essentially an insert for the crank down mechanism that requires a special "key" to turn it. The spare tire lock proved to be useless, as the thief didn't even need to crank down the tire to cut the cable.

In any event, I have two questions:

1.Where is the best place to get a used alloy rim and tire for a 98 TLC (I live in the Chicago region), and how much could I expect to spend?.

2. What is the best way to secure the spare tire once it is replaced?

Thanks for any comments.
  • lgig1lgig1 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased my 2000 LC in Nov. 99. Does that mean my 3/36 warranty will expire on 11/02?

How does a local dealer know the exact date my car was purchased? (I purchased it in another state).

If I wanted to purchase a Platinum Warranty from Toyota, how much time do I have to do it?
    You've got the expiration date correct. Any dealership has only to hit a few buttons on its computer to find out Date of First Use of DOFU. If you want the Platinum warranty, you must purchase it before the original 3/36 expires.
  • tedplanotedplano Member Posts: 31
    I purchased my extended warranty today from a dealership in Richardson, Texas. They are part of Gulf States Toyota, Inc. which is one of two (the other being JMA) independent distributors not owned by Toyota Motor Sales (TMS). The warranty says "Toyota Extra Care" and the application # starts with the letters "TA". The coverage plan indicates B70 which refers to the Toyota Platinum Coverage for the land cruiser. I have talked to this dealer another dealer down the street and they say this is honored just the same as the warranty from TMS.

Anyone have any facts to the contrary? Cliffy?

The brochure for these vehicle service agreement describes coverage "provided by Gulf States Administators in Arkansas,Mississippi,Oklahoma and Texas. They are officed in Houston.

Toyota is all over the "Toyota Extra Care" brochure. This is the real deal.
    It isn't the Toyota Motor Sales contract you purchased (but that is no problem), it is the one offered by Gulf States. That is the one I would have bought if I were you because that is where you will be using the contract more then likely. If you are out of the region and you need service at a Toyota dealership it will be honored and Gulf Coast will provide the dealer with a corporate credit card number for services rendered.

Even if you could have purchased the TMS service contract the dealer would have to call for approval and get TMS corporate credit card number every time it is used.

I strongly feel you should buy the contract that is used in your area as long as price and service is the same.

No, I am not a dealer in the gulf states.
    Thanks for the feedback. Probably won't need the warranty for the cruiser anyway. Any word on the future of the cruiser?
    no plans for change in the near future. The Crusier doesn't follow the average 5 year body style change.
  • philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
    Looking for seat covers for a 2002 TLC need them for all the seats. have only been able to fine them for the front seats but I need them for the other 2 rows thanks.

Phil
  • mlinder2mlinder2 Member Posts: 1
    I own a '99 TLC. I love it except for an ongoing problem - I have a steering wheel vibratiom which feels just like an out of balance tire, but the problem only occurs above 65 MPH and is intermittent. I have replaced the tire (Michelin's), rotated, balanced,rebalanced. The dealer has replaced the front brake rotors, tie rods, but still it is not fixed. They balanced a the tire/wheels with an adaptor they say is "special" for Land Cruiers and Sequoia's?

Still, the problem persists. Like I said, it's like an out of balance wheel, but it is intermittment. Does nayone have any experience with this problem and can recommend a fix the deale rdoen't know about? I love this vehicle EXCEPT for this annoying problem!

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Sbell seems to have more information on this than I do. When reading your post, I noted that the application said "Toyota Extra Care" which would be consistent with the Toyota Platinum plan. The GST disclaimer and the plan code threw me for a loop though. The plan codes for the Platinum plan start with BB, followed by a number. For example, the 7/100K with $0 deductible is plan BB9 and the auto code is 01107.

Sbell is probably correct about the coverage acceptance. You might want to just make sure the coverages are the same. Toyota's coverages are listed on their web site.
  • semanticssemantics Member Posts: 51
    I have confirmation that the 2003 Landcruisers will have 18" alloy wheels and a small redesign in the interior.
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    Come on. Is that a joke? 18" rims . . .
    It's true!
    Perhaps it will have a lowered suspension, booming exhaust, and big fin on the back, too. The humanity!
  • mobetta1mobetta1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 99 LC to purchase from a dealer. Noticed a leak after taking it for a spin on a hot day. Leak was from under hood and looked like water. After opening hood, I noticed a small tube dripping some water but not connected to any rubber hose or anything. The dealer said this is the A/C runoff or something. Is this right? Is this normal?
  • 9411794117 Member Posts: 39
    It's normal.
    Joe, that's wrong with the 18" wheels? I did not say they were low profile tires. Just 18" alloys, reportedly beefing up the look and the on/offroad handling. They are also revising the interior look, slightly...
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Inside Lexus.com confirmed these are the changes along with night vision and a few others for the LX470 a while back. So it would seem they are a natural for the TLC as well. Anyone know if they are thinking about a dvd entertainment system for the TLC and LX470 like the one which will be optional on the new GX470? Seems like a no brainer for trucks of this caliber.
  • dkruse_mndkruse_mn Member Posts: 1
    After several years of faithful service and 220,000 miles, I decided to upgrade my 1985 LC. Three days ago, I became the owner of a mint condition '96 LC. My question concerns the limited slip differential. I know that they are an option on this year, but the dealer could not tell me if this particular vehicle had it. Other than actually trying to test it out, is there some way to determine if my LC has a limited slip differential? Also, is the limited slip differential in the front axle, rear axle, or the transfer case? Thanks.
    If you're in North America, the Cruiser does not have a limited slip diff. Perhaps you are referring to the viscous coupling in the transfer case with ABS versions. Your diffs are either open or lockable.

To test for a traction adding device, put the tranny and t-case in neutral, block the front wheels, and lift the rearend off the ground. Spin one tire by hand and see what the tire on the opposite side does. If it spins in the opposite direction, the diff is open.

semantics, Try and find an offroad tire for an 18" rim. IMO 16" is a good compromise rim size for offroad and onroad.
  • newyorkmannewyorkman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Landcruiser with a factory roof rack. The supports for the two side rails running the length of the vehicle are at the front and in the rear where the rails slope down to touch the roof. However, there is a spot on the roof for additional support in the middle of the bars. It is a piece of rubber that covers a groove that is I guess put there to attach additional support posts. I have seen some LCs and Lexuses on the road that have the middle support pieces for the side rails. I think the additional support is standard on the Sequoia rack. I called a few toyota dealers and all they know is that what I want is not in the parts book. Any idea where I can get the additional support pieces for the roof rack?
  • lmccullochlmcculloch Member Posts: 2
    The LC roof rack is too flexible to handle much of a load. I attached Yakama towers and connecting bars from one factory side bar to the other. This did the trick. Yesterday, I returned from a 2,700 mile trip to Montana with three bikes, the same number I left with (fortunately).
    OK, updates.

I confirmed the 18" alloys for the 2003 model year. Of course, NAV system becomes a standard thing, and the side / curtain airbags are available. The roof rack and the running boards become a Japan-built option, NOT a post production feature. I know there are color changes for the exterior and small interior upgrade to bring it more "luxurious" like the upgrade to the wood and wheel.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Gee semantics, with changes like that they'll have to change the name to Road Cruiser, 'cause I sure wouldn't want to be bumpitty-bumping off-road on those 18-inchers.

Maybe someone should suggest to Toyota to issue a throwback car, a return to the original Cruiser for the true enthusiast.
    Hey LC owners and Toyota enthusiasts,

how does the daytime running lights work on the current LC's? Does it turn on or off automatically? How come Toyota does not have an on/off switch for DRL on their trucks/SUVs? And how much shorter bulb life is there due to the DRL?
  • fj100fj100 Member Posts: 97
    For seat covers, check out www.sor.com, that is where i purchased mine. They are made out of canvas. They sell covers for 1st, 2nd and 3rd row. I just ordered them for 2nd row because of my black lab and for the center console top - she likes to stand on it and the leather does not like that to much.

Regards,

Andrew
    There is a RETRO Landcruiser on the drawing board. The link to it is here, and it's right on the toyota.com website. Eventually, if they decide this marketplace jammed with SUVs of every ilk will see sensible room for this car.

http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/look_ahead/conceptcar.html

Nah, that's Rod Millen's re-done '67 fj45 Cruiser with uzj100 gear and rear independent suspension. It's a one of a kind with no plans for production. Toyota has a "retro" Cruiser in the 7* series, which has 1fzfe 6 cylinder with coil pack ignition, 5 speed, and coil-sprung, live-axle suspension. All it would take is to import it to the USA. Droooooolllllllll
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    I read somewhere (moderately reliable) on the net (Detroit News maybe) that the 2005 Lexus LX470 is going to switch to the Sequoia platform and the 2005 LC is going retro. If we say it enough times, it might come true. :-)
    Has anyone tried the toyota all-weather floor mats in their 2001 or above landcruiser? How do they fit? Do they fit similar to the carpeted ones? Any good alternatives that fit great?

TedPLano
  • desmo888desmo888 Member Posts: 2
    What is the actual fuel mileage folks are getting with the FJ100? ('98 and up LC)
    I know the advertised is 14-16mpg but I wondered if 14 really was the low end.
    TIA,
    Dave K.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Wow! Tres cool.

Thanks!
  • miakodamiakoda Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased 1998 TLC with 80K miles. Have two questions for anyone who can help:

First, when I engage the gear into "D" I hear and FEEL a very noticeable knock from underneath the truck. It also happens when the truck is at a stop light, in DRIVE gear, and I release the brakes to accelerate. ...All I have heard about the TLC's smoothness makes me think this knocking is not normal. ANY INSIGHT to offer? Is this normal for TLC's?

Second, what is causing that wind noise (which kicks in at about 50 MPH) ? is it the wipers, etc.?
  • hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    Tranny knock not normal. Could be a number of things - some minor, most not. Better have it checked out soon.

Wind noise: Can be subjective, but the aerodynamics of a brick have a lot to do with it. One of the causes though is the front cross bar on the roof rack. Try re-positioning it to behind the sun roof. Nothing you can do about the wind noise coming from the windshield, A piller and side mirrors though.

HiC
    OK, here are my new specs.

Landcruiser color codes change a lot.. and so do the colors. New colors for 2003 are:

Galactic Gray (color 1E9) - perhaps a true charcoal gray.

Black garnet pearl (color 3Q2) perhaps a dark cherry red, for certain.

Sonora Gold pearl (color 4R3) - gotta be a dark goldish given the color code #, but who knows?

They discontinued Champagne pearl (1B1), river rock green/gray (1E3) and the mahogany pearl (3B2) as well. Newly available options are 18" alloy wheels (see, I told ya!!) but the car comes standard with 17" alloys.

Some details:

New options that are Japan-built/installed:

AW - alloys / tires that are 275/60R18
    DR - roof rack
    GY - side/curtain airbags
    RB - running boards

The tires and wheel that are standard are the 275/65R17's and the NAV system package includes: EMV navigation system, DVD/CD autochanger in dash for the CDs, inside rear view EC mirror, JBL audio 7-speakers. The running boards and roof rack are a package together.

More as I get more detail... but the toyota.com website will eventually have all of this data up and show pics too.

Oh, it's always a matter of... semantics, isn't it?
  • philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
    thanks for the info on the seat covers order them today.