Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• mghmgh Member Posts: 43
    fj100

Tell me how much did your TLC grow when you added the OME Lift Kit? What brand, how much and where did you prchase the kit?
    Can you send me pics I am ineterested in a warn winch and a ARB front bumper.

My concerns are:
    I will like to know if my TLC will clear my garage if I install the lift kit and if the front end will sag.

Thanks for your input

MG
  • fj100fj100 Member Posts: 97
    The lift added about 1.5 inches. Old Man Emu springs and shocks and sway away front torsion bars. Purchase the entire kit at www.sleeoffroad.com, look under products.

I do not have a winch installed yet but do have an ARB Winch Bullbar. Purchased at www.sleeoffroad.com

I would drive your LC into the garage and measure from the top of the roof rack to the lowest point in the garage. I would want 3 inches of clearance especially if you add 285's, which are 32.9 inches tall vs the stock 31.7.

The front end will not sag because of the heavy duty sway away torsion bars, they can be adjusted for the load of the bumper and winch.

Andrew
    Raleigh, NC

PS - email me off list and I will send some pics, roane3@hotmail.com
  • mitrismitris Member Posts: 14
    In the final minutes of negotiating on a 2000 with 50,000 miles. Clean records, clean interior. Needs tires and detail but I can get it for 30K. Any thoughts on the price. I found a 2000 with 34,000 at a dealer for 36k with the Certified pre owned deal included.

Advice on price, anything to look for? Thanks
  • grk235grk235 Member Posts: 17
    Have owned a 2000 LC for three years ... one of the best vehicles I have ever owned ... only visit to the dealer was for regular maintenance.

The price of 30K seems about right for the mileage. Mine has 32,000 miles and trade-in value is about 30-33k.

Ebay has several 2000 LCs for sale ... you may want to check the price ranges there.

Good luck.
  • mitrismitris Member Posts: 14
    thanks for your help.
    You may also want to post your question on Edmund's Smart Shopper board ... a very knowledgeable poster named Terry seems to have an excellent feel for the used car market.
    I believe the subject title in the Smart Shopper board is "Real-World Trade-In Values." Terry can give you an idea of trade-in as well as retail value.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • jwebb3jwebb3 Member Posts: 1
    Help,

I’m trying to be fiscally responsible to my family of four (including a 130 pound English Mastiff). I'm looking to replace my 88 4-Runner with a LC, because I need the added room. I have driven both the 97 LX 450 and the 98 Land Cruiser. The 98 seems like it has much more leg-room in the rear seats, can anyone comment on that? I can save about $6,000 going with the 97, but am worried the 98 is the way to go. Does anyone have a 97 body style out there that can let me know if the interior is sufficient for all those trips to the sports fields with the kids and their teammates?

Also when I looked at the 97 it seemed a little more heavy duty in the doors and tailgate that the newer 98, am I crazy?

Thanks,

JDW
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    They are VERY different vehicles. V8, independant front suspension, larger interior, easier to remove back seats, newer design... what else?
  • ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    they are very different beasts. our older LC is a monster, while our new style LX470 is like a tall, w i d e, luxury vehicle. they measure very similarly, yet they fulfill different purposes. if you offroad, there is zero comparison. the older lx450 with front and rear lockers is going anywhere it wants to in the dirt. the 100 series LC feels bigger but maybe a tad less durable. the third row on the 100 is much more usable we've removed them from both vehicles, as we only have dogs to transport. i personally feel that the body of the newer style feels more durable. i'm guessing that the '97 must have high miles in order for there to be a $6K price diff, or the '98 is overpriced.

good luck, you can't go wrong with either.

ace
  • bigdaddyobigdaddyo Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone upgraded their NAV software yet? What is the cost and the procedure? Thanks.
  • bulletheadbullethead Member Posts: 40
    I have a 2000 TLC, with almost 20K on it (drive it 10 miles a day to/from work). A friend is looking to buy a 2003 Sequia - we got talking and I realized that the 2003 was topping out @ approx $42K - the loaded TLC was $55K. We did a side by side comparison on the MicroSoft auto site - it seems that the the 2003 TLC and the 2003 Sequia are almost exactly the same (except the sheet metal) - why should I continue to still urge him to get the TLC (other than because the wife and I love the thing)?

Also, does any one have any idea as to when the next major upgrade will be made to the current TLC model?

Thanks!
    My wife has a 2002 BMW M3 ragtop - I have read on the BMW board about easy to make performance upgrades for her car (i.e computer chip replacement, better air filter, etc) - does anything similar exist for a stock 2000 TLC?

Thanks.
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    Considering the BMW is a sports car and your TLC is not, there are upgrades for your rig: OME suspension lift with ARB locker for the front IFS diff. I doubt your wife will be able to follow you down the trail in her BMW as you will not be able to catch her from the stoplight in your TLC.
    Bullethead,

The biggest question, What does your friend need the vehicle for? If it is to haul a large family (2 or more kids) then the Seq. is the truck.

Seq is built in the US on a Tundra chassis. The interior material is not up to LC standards. The Seq was built to do battle against the Ford Expedition - check the stats and you will see how similiar they are. The Seq is to big in my opinion but once again what is it needed for.

LC is still built in Japan by ARACO. The LC chassis is more stout/bullet proof etc than the Seq. If you notice in the specs, the LC is smaller overall but actualy weights more than a Seq. The LC is basically an Lexus LS430 Off Road vehicle.

To see the quality difference, head over to a Toyota dealership and park the 2 side by side and check them out head to toe. You will see the difference.

fj100
    Raleigh, NC
    Check out the supercharger for the 100 series LC. Should be quite sufficient. I think the numbers come out to like 345 hp and 480 torque. That shoud do it.

http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/4.7_V8_supercharger.htm

• scuz2scuz2 Member Posts: 6
    Looking at an '88 LC with 176K miles. Looks great, runs well, no rust, extensive records. Has a 1.5" lift kit installed as well as a large roof rack. Any known issues with this vehicle, other than being 15 yrs old? How does $6K sound? Thanks
    Get a compression test done on the engine, check that the auto tranny shifts smooth and check that the 4wd will engage and check the AC.

Performance upgrades - change the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distrubutor and get a high flow exhaust and headers.

The lift is worth about $1500 by itself and the rack is probably about $500.

$6k sounds like a good deal.

Where are you located?
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    IMO the lift is not worth anything or detracts from the value in the general marketplace. 1.5" lift it not enough to get anyone excited about taking it offroad, and it hurts the stock value of the rig.

'88 if the first year of the fj62 model. It's got the 3FE motor and A440F tranny, both of which are stout. No known issues with the vehicle. Just check thoroughly for rust.

$6k sounds reasonable for the mileage.
    I said that all wrong. To add a lift to a leaf sprung LC is about $1500.

IMO - In off road situations, ever little bit helps and it makes the LC look much better over stock.

fj100
    All:

Thanks for your feedback - As noted previously, I have read that by simply swapping out the air filter and replacing the microchip, I can get some easy additional HP and performance out of my wife's BMW (all this courtesy of the BMW TH board). Given that, I wondered if doing the same would also benefit my 2000 TLC, in terms of speed, etc. (I don't need any off-road enhancements as I usually don't do any serious off roading other than going through construction sites and my farm's field.)
    My friends are just looking to upgrade from a Ford Exp. They have a 2WD version that was fine when he was in FL, but in northern Ohio, he wants 4WD. They travel a lot down to see the family in FL - hauling the boat, kids, two large Bull-Mastiffs and all their gear. Again, not a lot of 4WD / off-roading, but a lot of traveling and towing. Based upon comments provided, I guess the feeling is that the TLC will ride better, tow more and last longer?
    I would recommend the Seq. It is a larger vehicle and will serve their purposes better, just from the size aspect.

Yes, the LC will do all those things better in my opinion however in the end the size of the Seq would be the better bet.

fj100
  • caidwcaidw Member Posts: 18
    After three months research and test drive (new Ford Explorer V8, Tahoe and Sequoia). I ended up certified used 2000 Landcruiser. Just back from Florida for almost 3000 miles trip. This Cruiser run great on highway, quiet and smooth, but I noticed quite annoying thump noise at low speed (20-40 mile/h) on rough surface (presumably tire noise). Is there anyway I can reduce noise, my rear tire (OME tire, Dunlop) pressure is around 30-32 psi as recommend by toyota. Also I noticed rear click noise when I braked hard. Thanks for any inputs.

Caidw
  • hotdogonastickhotdogonastick Member Posts: 30
    i was surfing the motor trend future vehicle site and i saw the future of the lc and lx: http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied/112_2004fvf/index3.html

"2004 Toyota Land Cruiser: Production scheduled to end on the Land Cruiser. The success of the Tundra-based Sequoia will influence the decisions on the next generation Land Cruiser."

http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied/112_2006fvf/

:2006 Lexus VX 470: Replacing the Land Cruiser twin LX 470 is a luxury version of the larger Sequoia."

i know the lc will continue to be produced worldwide [except for us] but at least we'll still have the lc 90 series/prado heritage in the 4runner.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    The current type of L/C is due to end. However, that does not mean that Toyota will not continue to have the L/C available in the US market in some shape. It is VERY, make that EXTREMELY, unlikely that they will eliminate it altogether as it was the first Toyota to come to the US shores over 40 yrs ago. From what I've been told the "NEW" landcruiser will be in the shape/form of the FJ40 platform. Torsen differentials center, front and rear with possibly locking diffs for all three places. They are also considering something along the lines of the H2(but better packaged for space). I'll keep you informed as I get additional info.

Ken
    i went to the la auto show today and compared for myself the lx, gx, lc, seq, and 4runner. in my own opinion (not meaning to step on anyone's toes) the lx was too much luxury...the gx really looked like the european lc from -http://motorshow.toyota-europe.com/showroom/land_cruiser/index.html
    and the interior quality was reminiscent of the lc - well designed interior controls and pleasing to the eye. the tlc - what can i say...just the right dimensions, comfortable, quality. the seq - lower quality interior materials. the new 4runner (which i was considering as an alternative) interior design turn off - awkard controls and unpleasant dash. although i'm getting to like the exterior of it, the inside is something i won't think i could get used to. the one thing i still need to do is test drive them back to back.
    toyotaken...here's a link on the rod millen's prototype (hopefully future) tlc -> http://www.toyota.com/ html/shop/look_ahead/conceptcar.html#retro

http://pressroom.toyota.com/ photo_library/display_release.html?id=2000landretro_as_r

i had to add a space after [ .com/ ] b/c the string of characters were too long.

Try makeashorterlink.com for those problem urls.

Steve, Host
  • londonfinlondonfin Member Posts: 31
    Looking to replace a minivan. Currently have a ML-320 which is too small for trips w/family of 4. I think the Seq. is too large for us as will still be used as a daily vehicle (parking in cities). Price of Lexus GX looks similar to LC but wonder which is "better" vehicle. I hear great things about service dept. of Lexus and know nothing about Toyo dealers. Ruled out 4-Runner as need third seat. Any thoughts?? Thanks!
  • tuition06tuition06 Member Posts: 20
    have a 97 lx 450, the factory michelins have lasted 52,000. i am considering the cross terrain to replace them. is it a mistake to consider a slightly larger tire? can the factory wheels and suspension accept any larger tire? thanks.
  • darby124darby124 Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone suggest a vendor for some kind of steering wheel cover for a 2000 TLC? My new lab puppy chewed the material on my steering wheel and I want to cover it with something to build a layer of coverage, can be wood or leather or whatever. Any thoughts?
  • evolvoevolvo Member Posts: 6
    Good Question I went through the same thought process and bought a 2001 Lexus 470 - couple of weeks ago. I've considered the Volvo xc90 in addition to the ones you have mentioned.
    GX: Third Row seating not very functional.
    XC90: Same problem 3rd row seating not for adults

My brother has a LC and his only complaint is Toyota Service Dept. Luckily he doesn't have to take it often to the dealer. Although I heard from a Lexus dealer that they get several LC for service, I am not sure if this happens in other parts of the country.

I would strongly recommend going for either a LC or an LX.

Hope this helps.
  • idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    This is an excellent choice and you'll notice improvements in almost all areas over the stock LTX - also an excellent tire. But I would not encourage a larger tire as you'll impact everything negatively from braking to acceleration. I cannot think of a single gain you'll get other than ground clearance and that the larger tire will provide a bit more load and wear capability.

IdahoDoug
  • saupe130saupe130 Member Posts: 36
    Darby 124,

Have you thought about labrador retriever puppy hide? I hear it's real soft and flexible....
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    If you need a comfortablle third row the LX470 or LC will be better than the new GX. If you want a quiet silky smooth ride either Lexus will beat the LC - not that the latter is not smooth but Toyota goes to extremes when it comes to quiet and smoothness with Lexus models. The Lexus mark levinson stereo is spectacular and Lexus service is the best in the world (read the link above and click on the Lexus LS history to see how they treated customers in the past - it hasn't changed). With that said (I have a 2001 LX470 by the way) a local Toyota dealer that I bought a Camry from for my mother told me that Toyota tries to give "Lexus like" service to LC buyers. Others on this board will know better than I if that is true. As for me there are only two other suvs I will seriously consider when my Lexus lease ends later this year. The GX and the LC. More than likely I'll stay LX as it is a world beater in comfort, ride, quietness, luxury and reliability (though I'm sure the LC is as reliable or nearly as reliable). But it's not cheap.
  • londonfinlondonfin Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the input. We would need to use the third row every once in a while for young children, but usually not need it. I think the LX is out of our price range (new) while the GX and LC seem pretty close in cost (MSRP for the GX and discounted for the LC). I did look at the XC 90 but don't like the looks when I actually saw one. Also seems cramped. I do HATE dealing with poor service depts. and am spoiled by the MB service dept. on my ML320. Is there a significant change between the 2002/03 LC or LX? Perhaps I should look at a 2002 model but have never bought used before. It seems there was a significant change in the transmission for 2003. Not in a rush either which helps. Again I really appreciate the input from these boards. Any sites rate dealers? Live in Mass. if anyone has dealer (good or bad) suggestions.
  • miakodamiakoda Member Posts: 8
    IdahoDoug said that the process for adjusting the angle of headlamps on 1998 TLC is in the owner's manual. However, I do not see it in my manual. Can anyone confirm that the info is in the manual?
    Thanks.
  • evolvoevolvo Member Posts: 6
    If you are in the GX/LC price range - I would suggest you seriously consider a PreOwned 2002 LX, especially if you plan on keeping it for a while. 01 LX happens to be our first PreOwned. Ideally we would've liked 02 but the one we have was extra clean and in a very good shape came with big savings. We thought about it for a while, looked at all possible alternatives and decided LX is the best out there. With 03 I think you will get optional Rear DVD. This seems to be the major change in addition to the minor face lift.
    Height adjustment, quiet and luxurious ride, folding mirrors, Interactive Adaptive Variable Suspension, ML Audio made us choose LX.
    Between LC/LX you will not loose. But before you buy LC make sure you drive the LX.
    do any of you know of weblinks to tlc videos (off roading, reviews, etc.) i'm interested in seeing any of the models in action. thanks in advance.
    How about a Freelander video to tide you over until some links are posted?

Steve, Host

• hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    I have a 98 also and the headlamps cannot be adjusted by the do-it-yourselfer. Your dealer will only adjust them if they are out of spec, not to suit any personal preferences.

I'm afraid the days of owner adjustable headlamps are behind us as fewer and fewer new cars allow it.

HiC
  • seanslx450seanslx450 Member Posts: 11
    hotdogonastick, check out the video on at the SOR landcruiser forum. www.sor.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=8 Then scroll down to the thread called 4 wheelin Aussie style. The video is in the first post and is called "storman norman" ENJOY.
    thanks...much appreciated. keep em coning :)
  • rnb2rnb2 Member Posts: 17
    I just returned from driving both vehicles. I have come to the preliminary conclusion that although the Lexus dealer/service would probably be more pleasant to deal with, the LX is not worth the $9-10,000 difference. But, even though I'm probably preaching to the choir, I thought I'd ask for some feedback here.

I have a wife, two kids (8 & 10) and two Labradors. I want to move them, luggage, and occasionally bikes or skis. The sequoia leaves me cold. If I want bigger, I'd go Yukon XL (but it's just so damned big!). So, with a roof luggage rack and a weathertech bike rack I hope to be OK.

Now over on the Lexus board, they talk about Mark Levinson stereo, wood trim and the joy of driving a Lexus. That doesn't move me. I do wonder if the Lexus suspension would make the car a tighter ride (my other car is an M5 which, snow tires notwithstanding, I prefer to use on dry pavement). The LC felt nice and tight on the curves (better than one I tried 5 years ago) but I wasn't anywhere I could really test. Aside from the "luxury" and "prestige", is there any reason to get the Lexus? The longer warranty is better for one.

Also, I loath the sales people I encountered at my local dealer, so I went farther afield to get an offer. Should I expect high quality service locally or do I have to worry?

What about the Lexus dealer's swearing that this is the last year for the LC? True? Should I care?

All advice will be appreciated. Thanks for your patience.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Let's pretend this is the last year of the Cruiser. I don't think it is but it may be the last year of the luxury Cruiser. If this is the end, what will happen to the value? In most cases, when a car is discontinued, the value drops. The exception is when the vehicle is an icon. You will have the last of the genuine Land Cruisers. In 10 years, that WILL be worth something. There will be collector interest if this is indeed the end.
  • greg_xgreg_x Member Posts: 9
    Can anyone recommend a good toyota mechanic in Dallas, Texas?

Anyone except the dealerships....

thanks, greg
  • cathyj23cathyj23 Member Posts: 1
    I read through all the previous posts but didn't really see this choice addressed. I'm debating between the 93-97 TLC and the 96-98 4Runner. Mainly I'm looking for comparisons w/drive quality, handling, etc. I've test driven the 4Runner before, but not the LC. We live at about 2500' in No. Calif. The terrain is mostly winding roads (60% mild curves, 30% hairpin, 10% straight). It has mildly snowed 3 times this winter. I need a RELIABLE car (love Toyota Quality!) that will take the kid to/from school and be able to haul 2 dogs occasionally. I drive probably 7000-10000 miles a year. I'm looking at the used years/models above since they seem to be a great value when compared to new. I had an Avalon until my husband was rear ended at 55 mph. Now I'm driving a Subaru Outback, but not really happy with the power in the hills (maybe I was spoiled w/the Avalon?). I don't really care about a smooth ride. I probably won't go off road unless you consider the mud entrance to our property to be off road.

Thanks for any thoughts/help.
  • saupe130saupe130 Member Posts: 36
    I have a 96 TLC and a 98 Tacoma TRD 4x4. I love them both. I daily drive the Tacoma and get 19 mpg. The wife drives the TLC and gets 12-14 mpg. I enjoy every minute I spend in the Tacoma, but the TLC certainly eclipses it in creature comforts. I drive both offroad occasionally, and they are equally competant. The TLC has a boatload more room, and if I was you and had the money, I would buy a good used TLC and drive it till the wheels fell off, which should be well over 250K. That's what I plan to do with mine. Also, it seems that resale value on the TLCs eventually drops to around 10-12K, then never goes any farther down. The 4Runners hold value very well too, but they do eventually get pretty inexpensive. Just something to consider down the road.