Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    hi guys and gals . i almost purchased a new 2003 land cruiser. fully loaded including tax 0.06 ,tag, out the door price of $59500.00.i have being reading the town hall for many months.i value your opinions . is this a good price? one sticky point with dealer ,they refuse to disable the daylights running lights ,does anyone knows how to do it. thank you.
  • caidwcaidw Member Posts: 18
    SUV is not that bad, from this web list insurance data from 1998-2000, Landcruiser is very safe. http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ictl/previous/ictl_0901.- pdf

From Australian tests(ANACP), new landcruiser rate 4 out of 5 star in crash test, 92-97 cruiser rated 2/5 star.
    http://www1.tpgi.com.au/users/mpaine/ncaplist.html

Caidw
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    Luckylou. I'm not sure what part of the country you live in, but that seems like a high price to me. When you say loaded--what do you mean? Side curtain air bags, 18" wheels etc, etc? My hunch is you ought to be able to beat that price by about $4K, if not more. Check out the actual prices here and on KBB, so you know the actual dealer cost and option costs. Then go from there. Don't forget the dealer hold back. I think you should be able to get one for no more than $2K over invoice and I think $1 to 1.5K over is doable. Also, we're getting deeper into the model year
  • londonfinlondonfin Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the input. I will be replacing a Windstar that makes me feel like a bus driver! I'm not sure if you would have been better off with a minivan but sure know both my wife and I can't wait to get out of ours! Our other vehicle is a ML 320 and I have gotten very used to the MB service which is very nice. I refuse to ever deal with a Ford dealer again after my Explorer and our Windstar experiences at several Ford dealers. That is what scares me with Toyota vs. Lexus. I too don't care about the "luxury" or "status" of the Lexus but do need a dealer who just fixes it, gets me a car to drive (or a cheap rental if I am at Toyota service rates which look less than Lexus)and treats me fairly. Did you look at all at the Aviator? I have yet to drive any of them (too cold!!)and would be very interested in which dealers (Toyo and Lexus) you went to (you can e-mail me) and your feedback on them. $10K is too much of a difference I think but who knows as we get deeper into the model year as I am not in a rush. Thanks!
  • aggiebartaggiebart Member Posts: 37
    Here's a pic. 2003 release. Very limited production. You think it will sell? :)

http://www.bossieratkinsontoyota.com/images/retro_cruiser01.jpg
    steelcruiser,thanks .we felt unconfortable during the sale and decided a no go. it has been awhile since i went to a dealer to buy a new car ,but the tactics remain the same thank goodness there are many toyota dealers here in florida. we will follow your advice about kbb,edmunds prices.we are in no hurry to buy. Any help about the drl is welcom. thank you.
    Lucky, don't know if I mentioned in my earlier post the "tactic" of getting e-mail quotes. When you research the true cost of the vehicle, you will most likely be prompted to put in your zip code. Just put in different zips and dealers will send you quotes. You might try Orlando, Tampa, Jax etc and see who's willing to deal. Good luck!
    I'm sure it will sell. But for how much.......I believe it's a uzj100 underneath the retro body. There's a company near LA (The Landcruiser Connection) that has made some great looking retro styles that are on newer chassis. Saw most of their lineup at the Toyota museum a couple of years ago.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    They are telling those who ask the right questions that the retro-cruiser is pretty close to what the production model will look like with different colors and possibly the addition of 2 additional doors. Part of what they're trying to get approved by the NHTSA is the lights on the mirrors. They're telling us that they're trying to keep pricing in the 23-25K range. This is all VERY preliminary, so don't hold anyone to those figures *S*.

Hope this helps.

Ken
    steelcruiser :The $59250.00 price includes 18" wheels and tires,roof rack and running boards,floor and cargo mats,mirror upgrade(turn signals),navigation system,restraint system (side air bags),moon roof wind deflector and toyota guard plus protection.Also includes destination charge ,southeast toyota adminstration charge($565.00).tag and 6% tax .This vehicle needs to be order because of the color black garnett pearl about 90 days .Is it a good deal? Thank you.
  • aggiebartaggiebart Member Posts: 37
    The FJ may be in the mid 20's but I am sure the Retro will be in the 40's-50's.

The Retro has 4 doors and looks like a Hummer, the FJ has 2 doors and looks.... 'different' :)

Fj Cruiser:
    http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/look_ahead/fj_cruiser/cruiser.htm- l

Ps steelcruiser... $1000 over dealer invoice would be a fair (not great) price...
  • bplacebplace Member Posts: 9
    Great board you have here. I am trying to decide between a 97lc and 98lc. I pull a trailer that weighs appox. 1800 lbs loaded. Which one would I be happier with, and also what should be the price difference between the 97 and 98, $5000? I actually like the body style on the older ones better then the 98 and above, but that is just me. Thanks
    Does anyone know about what a 97lc with 93.000 miles might be worth? Also what is the dollar differnce between the 97 and 98? Thanks
  • idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    Just my 2 cents, but this is kind of an unproductive place to talk about or get information on used car values. You'll get a couple of subjective guesses and that's about it.

Used car values vary not only by condition (which you gave us zero info on), but also by geographic location (which you also gave us zero information on) as well as by equipment level (which you also gave us zero information on). I suggest you get on one of the many used cars for sale national database websites and do some shopping - far more productive use of your time.

IdahoDoug
    I did not mean to post that there. Wow, you are sensitive.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It sounds like you thought you were still in the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion (idahodoug, check out my OB post in there yesterday).

If you wish, you can delete your own posts at any time with the delete button by your message title.

That said, you never know who's going to be lurking in a discussion with the exact answer you need.

Steve, Host
    Thanks
  • tlcfor4tlcfor4 Member Posts: 7
    Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems to one I have had with my 1998 Land Cruiser. This morning, the check engine light came on about 5 minutes down the road. The engine kept running, but went to an idle (smooth) and did not respond when the accelerator was depressed. After coasting to a stop, shutting off and restarting the engine, the vehicle ran fine (except that the "check Engine" light remained illuminated).

Had this problem a couple of times over the last several years. Seem to always occur in the winter on snowy cold days (like today).

The last time this happened, The Toyota Dealer hooked up the diagnostic computer, reset the alarm, and determined the malfunction was a "failed throttle position sensor". The cost of sensor replacement was absurd. As the vehicle was out of warranty and the sensor was now working fine, we decided to "monitor" the condition. It's obvious that this "Throttle Position Sensor" is sensitive to cold and snow.

Does anyone have any fixes outside of replacement?

Where is this sensor physically located on the vehicle and can it be better protected from the elements?

This is not a crisis. I still enjoy the vehicle and have no intentions of replacing it for a long time. Outside of the "heat shield rattle issue", this is the only problem that this cruiser (with 88k miles) has experienced.
  • bhuppertbhuppert Member Posts: 9
    While traveling north in Michigan in my 98 LC w/57k, my dash control panel started making a squealing sound and the ABS light located on left of panel and brake located on right side began flashing. I pulled off at the nearest rest area and checked the operator's manual which said proceed with haste to the nearest dealer. I then drove an additional 60 miles with the radio volume turned up to a GM/Toyota dealer in Cadillac, Mi. whose lone Toyota mechanic said to check the fluid level which was mid point between max and low. I filled to max and continued my trip with the warnings becoming more intermittent. A day later they disappeared.

Two weeks later I am getting warnings again but now the dash emits a simple beeping sound every 10 sec. while the ABS and brake lights flash. These occurences are sporadic. The fluid level is still at max.

I thought it wise to see if anyone else has experienced this and what the remedy was before giving the local Grand Rapids dealer a shot at it. 2 months ago I had the dealer do an inspection and was told the pads have plenty of wear left. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • imabotaimabota Member Posts: 15
    I have been considering purchase/lease of one of these vehicles. The disadvantages of the GX are: the 3rd row seat is too small, the rear door doesn't open easily in my garage, the front passenger seat only has 4-way controls and no lumbar support. Yet, it seems that the Land Cruiser has a similar ride, exterior is only slightly larger but has more room in 3rd row, a convenient split rear door, and an 8-way front passenger seat with lumbar support. I think the navigation systems are identical? Additionally, I have found that I can lease the Land Cruiser for less than the GX470 although the TLC MSRP is higher. Am I missing any important considerations in comparing the two?

I'd appreciate input to help with my decision. Thanks.
  • zuma13zuma13 Member Posts: 35
    Wanted to report a reassuring episode I experienced with my 2001 TLC. Went skiing with group of friends to Mammoth Mountain, California. On the way up the mountain we encountered a heavy fog bank in which the rain we had been driving in had begun to turn to snow. Visibility was difficult and the water on the road was freezing and turning into black ice.

The Cruiser defroster and traction control did not let me down. Made it into the village without incident though the road was spewn with cars and lesser sports utes that were compromised by the bad road conditions.

Once I arrived at my destination I was amazed how well the Cruiser performed on glare ice. I did discover though, steep hills covered with ice and a dusting of light snow were best negotiated with the center locking differential button unengaged allowing the VSC to monitor and compensate for any loss of traction. Also the second gear start was very helpful.

This vehicle just gives one the confidence that wherever you go, you know you'll be able to get there and back without incident or drama. This is one awesome vehicle.
  • djohnsodjohnso Member Posts: 4
    I am trying to evaluate whether it would be safe to occassionally put my child's car seat in the 3rd row of seats. To install correctly, you need to hook the top tether over the back of the seat and onto an anchor. TLC has no designated child seat anchor in this area. There are, however, 2 cargo net anchor rings in the lateral area of the floor of cargo area. Are these rings anchored sufficiently to use as child car seat anchors?
  • fj100fj100 Member Posts: 97
    I had the same issue with the TPS on my '99 LC with 65k miles. I went to the dealer and they replaced it for $262 out the door. I have heard of others being quoted some absurd prices as well. I do not think $262 was that bad. Some Toyota dealerships are misrepresenting what has to be done. You can have a fax copy of my receipts if you need a little coaxing for your dealer and then you could explain how you will contacting Toyota with his shady prcatices.

I think this should be a recall, this is a very dangerous situation, especially in heavy traffic. If this would have happened to my wife with the baby in the car she would freaked.

fj100
    '99 LC with Stuff
    Raleigh, NC
    I have checked 90% of the land cruiser new inventory of Toyota dealers in the state of Florida, they all seems to use the same distributor.The difference between them is a mere $200.00. My sweet wife tells me that she love the TLC and please get the@#&*$#@*&## before i drive her crazy,so as i type i am getting dress ,so long...... I"ll keep you guys posted . WE only been married for 37 wonderful years. Thank you.
    Perhaps it's because Florida is in the same region as the distributor down there (SET) - it may be that your local dealers just have the same owner. Also,

"In the Southeast, large distributors control Toyota pricing, and take advantage of this monopoly by charging more money for destination and advertising fees. They also front-load many cars with worthless packages of cosmetic items that you don't need."

Frequently Asked Questions

You can always get one shipped to you from a more competitive dealer, Luckylou.

Steve, Host
    Steve, thank you for your advice. A salesman locally told me,that they sell ONE or TWO Land Cruiser a year.And that is why, MSRP is their goal. OUCH!
    Ah, maybe there's not as much demand because there's not much off-roading down there except maybe parts of Ocala NF and some of the beaches?

But lack of demand should mean lower prices :-)

Steve, Host
    I think I said $1K over was fair not great. Maybe LL can get a much better deal in TX, as I'd guess they sell a lot more of them there?
  • jgraveljgravel Member Posts: 54
    Hello everyone, it's been awhile since I've joined this board. If this problem has been discussed recently my apologies for "going back".

I have a 2000 LC, bought new with ~55K miles on it. It's been a great vehicle. My wife drove it most of the time until a few months ago when I started taking it to work. I've noticed a definite whine at higher speeds(65-80) when the engine in under load that disappears if I take my foot off the gas. I've concluded the transmission is whining a bit and I'll take it in for service but... I was wondering if this is a common problem. It would be nice to have some ammo before I confront the service manger.

Thanks in advance.

-Jay
    Steve and Steelcruiser,thank you for taking your time to answer my post.I am in no rush of purchasing the TLC,hopefully some dealer a few weeks or months from now will be willing to deal. I will take your advice and look out of state in the mean time. I have kept my 1990 accord for about 13 yrs., I can wait to upgrade to TLC.
    I've found a Service Bulletin for what sounds like my problem.

TSB NV00101 - transfer case buzzing noise. Issued in Jan 01.

I haven't been able to find a site that has Toyota Service Bulletins ( for free).

Does anybody have advise for this?

thanks again,

-Jay
    LL keep us posted. I'll bet in July or August you'll find these guys much more willing to deal =)
  • tlcfor4tlcfor4 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the reply regarding the intermittent failure of my TPS. I agree, $240 is not out of the question. It is 1/3 of what the local dealer said he needed to replace it.

I've got a good data point now. I shouldn't need a copy of your repair record, but I appreciate the offer.
    I just came in from reading the post for the Lincoln Navigator,so much complaining about this vehicle.It was like reading depressing novel and even the 2003 model. I mention this because at one time awhile back I was considering a Navigator ...OUCH .I must have been LOCO......
    Lucky Lou. If you want to read about some real pain, check out one of the Range Rover discussion threads. Yikes!
  • loosebottlesloosebottles Member Posts: 21
    I'm gettting ready to put a deposit on an '03LC.
    I was going to go w/ an '03 4Runner LTD but after several test drives, it was ultimately too tight for me especially in headroom.I'm 6'2" tall. No local dealers w/ the colors Atlantis Blue Mica or Galactic Grey. Are there any owners w/ the above colors that have pics they could e mail me or perhaps post a link that I may have a look at?

Is the Atlantis Blue Mica metallic? Is this a color that is similar/identical to any other Toyota color? I can't stomach putting a deposit on a vehicle I've never seen the color of in person. It is a couple of states away and I have a dealership a few hundred miles away who will get the vehicle for me.I've seen the color Blue Meridian Pearl on an '03 Lexus GX470 and I thought it was fantastic. Could these possibly be the same but named differently for Lexus?

I was told the Galactic Grey can be found on the Sequoia line.I'll be having a look at that color shortly..

Also, I've seen a few posts about the extended warranty by Toyota. As this is a vehicle I plan on keeping for many years, I'm game on getting the 7/100 plan. My dealer stated his cost is $1395 and he'd be willing to sell it to me for $1495. I've seen posts stating same warrenty bought for $1195. Is this a price I'd be able to get elsewhere and if so, where? Thanks and any comments appreciated.(color is a subjective thing--I know)
    I'm looking forward to owning the LC and enjoying it's quality,durability, and ride comfort for many many years.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    There could not have been anybody with the 7/100K genuine Toyota Platinum plan who bought it for $1195. Your dealer lied about the cost, but not by much and rest assured $1195 is below cost. The Land Cruiser is the most expensive warranty we sell by a long shot. The next closest is the Sequoia which is $400 less.

I think you are remembering a person who bought the 7/75 plan. That one can be had for $1195 and if you do some shopping, you can get that one under $1000.
  • tedplanotedplano Member Posts: 31
    I believe the $1195 was for an aftermarket warranty and was not a Toyota Platinum warranty.
  • katana2katana2 Member Posts: 35
    We went and priced a LC today here are the numbers,sticker $61,237 he dropped this price to $55,000 and would give us $5,000 for my 94 4Runner with 107,000 miles. The LC was loaded with rear DVD,hood protector, navi, and more, it had 2,700 miles on it. Should I take the plunge at $50,000 ?
    Our January Letters to the Editors mentions that you can cancel an Extended Warranty at any time. News to me - can you verify that Cliffy?

Steve, Host
  • tedplanotedplano Member Posts: 31
    I think he's making money on both end's of your deal. Sounds like the LC is a demo w/2700 miles it. They should be offering somewhere around $53k on it. The 94 4runner price seems low to me. Hard to say w/o seeing what kind of shape it is in.
  • katana2katana2 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the feedback they were really putting on the pressure. Now I know what to shoot for. Would $55,000 be a good price for a new LC? Also the dealership told me the LC's are made in Japan are they?
  • 9411794117 Member Posts: 39
    They make the highest quality SUV's in the world.

As for price, punch your zip code in here and the amount you get should be your ceiling. http://www.carsdirect.com/home

In the SF Bay area, that would be an O.K. price if it had 0 miles.
  • caidwcaidw Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know actual weight of Landcruiser (2000-2002)? Booklet only says curb weight of 5115lb. Thanks
    I have a 2000 LC, bought new with ~55K miles on it. It's been a great vehicle. My wife drove it most of the time until a few months ago when I started taking it to work. I've noticed a definite whine at higher speeds(65-80) when the engine in under load that disappears if I take my foot off the gas. I've concluded the transmission is whining a bit and I'll take it in for service but... I was wondering if this is a common problem. It would be nice to have some ammo before I confront the service manger.

Thanks in advance.
  • scuz2scuz2 Member Posts: 6
    I know this is a LC chat board, but thought someone out there might be able to help. What's my '99 LX 470 with 69,000 miles worth? It's in great shape, inside and out with Nakamichi, etc. Newer tires, all service on time and at the Lexus dealer... Also, were there any issues with these trucks, chronic problems, etc. I've had none, but my buddy who's looking to buy it asked me. Thanks
    Try the What is your car worth? link on the main edmunds.com page - it'll give you a customized appraisal.

Steve, Host
    You can cancel an extended warranty at any time. The only thing to remember is that the refund will be pro-rated, usually by time. This can seem a bit unfair but here is how it works. If you buy an extended warranty on the day you purchased it for... say $1235 on a 6/100 plan and you cancel it 48 months in, you get a refund of 24 months of coverage or $411.66. You do not get credit for the time it would have been covered under the standard factory warranty.

If a person bought a non-Toyota warranty and wanted to cancel it, they need to go back to the dealer can ask that it be done. Then, he needs to check back in 3 weeks and ask why it wasn't done yet (trust me, I've seen this many times).

The only other catch to cancelling a warranty is that unless you paid cash, you don't get the money directly back. The refund is applied to your loan balance principal.
    Now what happens if you buy the warranty in the 35th month, have a claim in the 37th month on an item that's out of the factory warranty, get it fixed, and then cancel the remainder of the extended warranty?

Learn something new around here all the time....

Steve, Host
    That is an excellent question and one I have never figured out the answer to. I have a sneaking suspicion that you would be really ticked off at the answer. My guess is that it would in fact be pro-rated based on 37 months of use but that is only a guess. Best to make sure you want it before buying so you don't end up in that situation.