Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    People love the Land Cruiser for different reasons. For me, I'm not a big off-roader so the off-road ability is not the trigger-issue. When I get into a Land Cruiser that has 150,000 miles, and doors seal tight, transmission is smooth, and it doesn't rattle and squeek while driving down the road, you know it's a tight vehicle that was put together well. Conversely, you get into an Explorer with 50,000 miles, and it squeeks and rattles like it's going to come apart, you know why you spent the extra money on the Toyota. I'm sure cost of ownership is higher, but I don't get into the truck and wonder whether it's going to start every day. I've owned, Jeeps, Range Rovers, and Explorers, and the Land Cruiser is simply put together better, and it's reflected in purchase price, as well as resale value.
  • scifiscifi Member Posts: 54
    In early 1993, Saddam Hussein’s ultimate secret weapon was a Toyota Land Cruiser that had been meticulously packed and wired with enough plastic explosives to make the Oklahoma City truck bomb look like a firecracker by comparison. It was sent to detonate near President Bush when he and family arrived to view the recently liberated Kuwait.

Luckily for Bush, the Kuwaiti military intercepted the LC, not too mention that Bush's plane was a day late due to damage to a wing.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The most succinct way I can put it is this: There is no other vehicle that combines luxury and off-road performance like the LC. There are more luxurious vehicles and a very few that are more capable off road, but none that combine the two so well.
  • hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    LC's are about the only vehicle than you can find in every corner of the planet. Whether you are in the boonies of Australia, Africa, Asia, India, or the Middle East, there are all sorts and vintages of LC's driving around. For many people, the only other conveyance that will get you from here to there is a mule or camel. Heck, LC's have even crossed Antartica.

Its history, and well deserved reputation for incredible reliability in the harshest of environments, have made the LC the vehicle of choice wherever the pavement ends.

Also note that Landcruiser is not a single model but a range of models in most parts of the world. In the US we only get the most up-scale version and the 4Runner (which is the LC 90 elsewhere).

HiC
  • fj100fj100 Member Posts: 97
    To put it simply, build quality and strenght of components. Check out resale values, even on higher mileage vehicles. They hold their value because of the superior build quality not becasue it says LC on the outside.

Have you ever looked under a LC and then looked under the lesser vehicles? The LC is for real and always has been, even the 100 series is much beefier than anyting out there except maybe an Hummer H1. That is why it is so sad that the LC may go away and that the top of the line Toyota will be a Sequioa and sme goes for the LX470. It will probably be a sequioa with a 5.5 liter v8, imagine the margin on that vs a LC with lexus badging.

Watch and see what happens with the H2 (tahoe based suv), it is beefy however the build quailty is not there and they will begin to depreciate very quickly. Give me a 100 with front and rear arb lockers and the hummer h2 better get out of the way and I will still be in a LC and I will still have the quality to go along with the offroad ability. And it will hold it's value like a gold brick. Not to mention superior road manners and cargo capacity.

Later,

fj100
    '99 LC with stuff
  • hank14hank14 Member Posts: 133
    I appreciate everyone's input so far. I am beginning to understand the reason for the popularity of the LC. I am presently kicking myself for not buying a '95 creampuff LC 18 months ago. Should have, but opted for a '98 Avalon for my wife instead. It has not been that good of an experience, but I'll leave that to another discussion. The one thing I know, after 7 years of driving an old F150 2wd, I do not like getting stuck, be it mud, snow, sand, ice, steep inclines, etc. I just hope the old Ford will hold out until I can find another affordable (for me) LCruiser. BTW, I did not know the Forerunner was a part of the LC family.
  • katana2katana2 Member Posts: 35
    fj100 when is Toyota planning on this model change? I may be back in the car buying game if it is soon. Thanks
    I read in a magazine it will be in the 2004/2005 timeframe. I only buy used Cruisers so I know I have up to at least 2003 Model that will be the real deal.

It will be a sad day. However they bring out a tacoma based small Land Cruiser and get back to their roots. This was shown at the Detroit auto show. It was ok, I did not like the swing doors for the back doors like the tundra. EVerything else was pretty cool. My wife thought it was ugly.
    You guys have seen the next Cruiser haven't you? Its on Toyota's web site. http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/look_ahead/ Click on the FJ Cruiser. The era of the big, luxury Cruiser may be about over.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Don't ask me why but the cabin area reminds me of an Element at first blush. Looks like you could add suicide doors easily enough.

And it's probably just the paint job, but overall it looks "squat" with high clearance. Wonder how the visibility is going to be?

I think I like it :-)

Steve, Host
  • wawrzyng1wawrzyng1 Member Posts: 16
    My vehicle is a "dressed-up" LC. I too have oil leaks(crankcase & oil pump). I just purchased the truck and was wondering if this is a chronic problem. Any ideas what might cause these leaks?
    My vehicle has 83K miles. Any additives that would be safe to stop this problem?
    Thanks!
    Its a Tacoma platform. The squat look probably is either an optical illusion or intentional deception.
    Is it a leak or a seep? There is a big difference and seepage is pretty normal, at least around the main seal on the old I6 engine.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Here are some more pics:
    Maybe it isn't on a Tacoma platform. It looks way too wide for that.
  • scifiscifi Member Posts: 54
    Reminds me of the "Buzz Lightyear" ride at DisneyWorld. "To infinity and beyond..."
    It looks short enough to easily load canoes or kayaks on it. Or maybe the model is 7'4"?

The dash is, well.... oh, nevermind :-)

Steve, Host
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    remember, this is going to be the upcoming tacoma platform, not the current generation. From what they've told us, the upcoming model of the Tacoma is going to be closer in size to the Dakota, so may very well be on that platform.

Ken
    Keep your hat on and nobody will noitce. :D
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    Re post # 2396
    I've got a modified 80 and a modified 100. Both with OME suspensions. I believe the 100 is every bit the equal of the 80 in all areas including off road. Problem is different ride heights (about 3.5 " lift in the 80 v.1.5" or so on the 100) Also, one is less inclined to put a 100 in to a tough situation because of the cost of it.

If in fact the LC goes away--hard to believe that will happen--80s and 100s will probably become pretty prized vehicles.

I've heard and maybe some others have too, that Toyota's thinking of having truck only dealerships? If the LC goes to Lexus, maybe it would just be called Landcruiser? After all the LC's the first vehicle that Toyota brought to the US. And don't forget it had a Chevy engine in it =)
    I share an opinion with many others who have worked for Toyota for a while. Toyota will always have some version of the Landcruiser available in the US market under the name "Landcruiser". The reason I say this is that the Landcruiser was the first vehicle ever shipped to the US by Toyota and is part of their heritage in this country. If for only that reason, Toyota will probably have a version of the Landcruiser in the US market as long as they sell vehicles here. (which doesn't look like it is going to change anytime soon)

Ken
    As Toyotaken points out, from the standpoint of tradition, it seems that Toyota will always have an LC here. Also, LCs are produced for many other countries, so having a fully optioned US version probably isn't too hard to accomplish. It's not like they would have to just build a few for the US.
  • idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    The LX450 engine leaks are likely nothing more than normal oil change crud. The filter is on the side of the block and inevitably dumps down to the ledge where the pan gasket is. All of them I've owned got this way despite my penchant for changing my own oil meticulously. Real leaks from this engine are rare. This "feature" often gets mistaken for a rear main seal as well.

80 vs 100 offroad is an interesting topic, but I'd give it to the 80 due to solid front axle and factory lockers F/R. No contest, really. Would really like the 100's V8, however. Hmmmmmm........

As for the LC being the first Toyota shipped here. Incorrect. It was a small sedan of some sort - Toyopet I think they called it?

As for the LC being shipped here with a "Chevy" engine. Incorrect. It was a Toyota engine that many felt was too close to the Chevy straight 6 and started an urban legend. That sturdy chunk of steel was a lot of things, but it was all Toyota.

Finally, as for the "model" being tall - that is Jim Press, President of Toyota USA and he's about 6'1"

Idaho Doug
    Here are some pics of my 100 series. They are pretty tame, I was just checking out the articulation with the new suspension. Also, I am not from Alaska, I just purchased a plate at a flea market when I was up there two years ago. I would however like to drive from Raleigh, NC all the way to Alaska one day, of course in the LC. The vehicle is fitted with an ARB Winch bar (no winch), PIAA lights, OME Lift kit, Sway Away front torsion bars, 285/76 R 16 BFG AT KO's, canvas SOR seat covers for the dog, husky liners throughout and a baby seat. The vehicle has 66k miles and the only problem to report was the throttle position sensor and it was replaced.

http://www.pbase.com/roane10/inbox

Later,

fj100
    idahodoug,

Thanks for the info. I have an appointment at the local Toyota dealer to change two seals(approx.$600). I just got off the phone questioning them and relating your post to them.
    They said that they would double check before installing the new seals. I am going to take the vehicle to the dealership and talk with the service technician. Any suggestions as to what I should look for or question further?
    By the way, the oil has been changed recently.

THANKS,
    Gene
    I've got a few of those plates around my house too :-). Go for it - I've done the highway 6 or 8 times and am trying to get on it again in a month or so. It's a great trip.

Steve, Host
  • lpc68lpc68 Member Posts: 45
    which 2 seals were quoted for 600$?

i think i have an oil leak in the rear seal as well and my quotes were for much more just to replace the rear main engine seal.

i've already replaced the valve cover seal (was definitely leaking from the back) and am going to replace the oil pan gasket next to see if that is the problem.

i'm in the los angeles area.
    lps,

The crankcase and oil pump seals are to be replaced. How many miles on your LC?
    I phoned a Lexus dealer($1500 estimate) and a different Toyota dealer($750 estimate) for quotes.
    I wonder what is going on?
    The range of the quotes for the same service is unbelievable.
  • 9411794117 Member Posts: 39
    How much damage would expect a 100 series to get going over the Alaska highway a couple times? Would you get windshield cracks and dented fenders from the gravel? Would you tape up the headlights? Or apply a heavy coat of wax? Or maybe I'm worrying too much?
    Idaho Doug: I'll defer to you on this, but I'm fairly certain that Toyota "bought" the design, if not an actual engine from Chevy for the LC. A 235 Blue Flame. Had forgotten about the Toyopet. That would make a good trivia question.

As to 100 v 80 off road. Don't forget there is a solid axle 105 series available--just not here. But for my needs, I consider both more than capable. Agree that articulation in the 100 is not the equal of the 80, but I'm not doing any rock crawling in either of them. Would be interesting to see a 100 in that situation.
    Risk of damage? Little or none.

Windshield dings are a possibility - more so in the construction zones, since most of it is paved these days. Ditto the headlights, but covers are easily available at Dawson Creek or you can try some of that 3M or Stoneguard stuff.

My last few trips I didn't bother with doing anything special - just watch the "bump" signs 'cause they mean it. And grab a Milepost.

Steve, Host
    The first Toyota sold in America was in 1957. That was their first forray into the US market. The first vehicle unloaded here was a landcruiser. You can check out the Toyota website to confirm.

Ken
  • mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    What were the symptoms of your bad throttle position failure?

Scott
    San Diego
    scott@mobi-arc.com
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    The Toyota USA website has some problems with its history at times. Anyway, the Crown was the first vehicle sold by Toyota in the USA. Crown is a recurring name in Toyota vehicles. It was a disaster, but the TLC did OK.

The 105 is not V8 powered, so you may as well keep your 80 series if you want a live axle. I doubt Oz will see live axle TLCs for very long other than the 7x series.
    The vehicle would not respond to throttle (accelerator pedal) input. It would just idle and the check engine light would come. Turn the vehicle off and it would be fine.

$266 to fix, parts and labor. OBD picked it up immediately.

fj100
    i've got a 91 LC with 150K. the previous owner lived on the beach and drove it to Utah alot.

i got it for a good price and realized i would have to fix several things. nothing unexpected actually.

am very happy with it.
    #2444. Yeah, the 105 has the 4.5L six. I'm not that fanatical about live axle v IFS/solid rear combo. I've been told, maybe you have too, that Toyota was considering dropping the live axle in the LC, but lots of Oz mining companies etc said they'd switch to Nissan's or something if they did. I think the Patrol is live axle F&R.
  • katana2katana2 Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone know the HP and torque specs for the new 5.5 V8. I hope Toyota doesn't wimp out and give it less than 300HP.
  • idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    Gene - As for taking it to the dealer and having them decide if it's a leak or not now that you discussed it with them - I think you're being awfully kind. They've put time into an inspection and estimate and when they get it into their shop, they're going to put a new seal in it and get their money from you. And they'll assure you it was leaking.

Personally, I'd do what I did. Get a can of foaming engine cleaner, slide under and spray the sides of the block and the areas with oil, then hose it off. Several months later, I slid under to change the oil and the entire block was still bare dry metal. A month after I changed the oil, the block had telltale traces of oil here and there, and a line around the pan seam from the oil change splatter. My brother owns 2 and he reported the exact same thing. It ends up around the rear main area due to air flow from the fan and vehicle movement. The leak diagnosis is an honest and frequent mistake by dealers, but a misdiagnosis in all likelihood. Toyota does not use a gasket on this engine's pan - it's called FIPG and is basically a wet gasket that cures into a flexible rubber glue - tough stuff. Drop $9 on a couple engine foaming cleaner cans and a half hour of your time. You'll see. Then spend the money you did not waste on a nice weekend with your wife - much higher return on investment.

94117 - As for headlight and fender protection, you should stop here in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho on your way to Alaska. One of the businesses I own is a company that provides paint and light protection to the area dealers and will have your Cruiser done at wholesale. We use 3M's latest paint protection to create an "invisible bra" that stops rock chips, and 3M's new headlight film to protect headlamps. Great stuff and you never have to worry again. We have bad rock chipping here, too. I demonstrate it with a shotgun on painted metal plates.

SteelCruiser - The urban legend that Toyota "stole" the design of the Chevy six has been around awhile, but it's not true. How do I know? I used to work for Toyota's US headquarters. Also, the 4.0L straight six LandCruiser engine that is the subject of this legend was a low RPM truck block that weighs almost as much as a Chevrolet big block V8. It is absolutely huge and would not even fit under the hood of the Chevy II that was powered by the Chevy "blue flame" six. There were a few similarities, however - thus the legend.

IdahoDoug
  • loosebottlesloosebottles Member Posts: 21
    What would happen to the fuel economy if one added a Supercharger to the LC? Most of the TRD Superchargers I've seen advertised were upto the '02 model year..Mine is '03.. Anyone with any pro/con arguments for the Supercharger? I'm not presently in the market to add this but may do it down the road..
    Doug-thanks for the info. Guess I need to file that along with Big Foot =)
    i was losing about 1 quart of oil every 2-3 months / 2-3000 miles and oil dripped from the rear main seal / back of oil pan area at a rate of several drops a day.

almost all of the mechanics i went too told me the rear main seal was the probable cause(both toyota dealers and independent shops (some that specialize in landcruisers)).

One toyota dealer told me that the oil pan gasket is rarely a leaking problem.

one shop that speacializes in LCs in the LA area told me that the rear main seal rarely is a problem and it was probably the oil pan gasket.

anyway, yesterday i got the oil pan gasket replaced and it was the problem. the gasket hardened and leaked at the back half circle end of the crankshaft.

i discovered that you could see the oil leak from the oil pan (as opposed to the rear seal) by looking at the tiny gap (probably 1/4 inch wide) between the oil pan and the front of the part that holds the transmission.

if there is not a noticable leak there, and the leak is coming from the back of part that holds the transmisison, i would assume that the rear main seal might be the problem.

changing the gasket did not seem to be that complicated, just time consuming, because it was hard to get the thick gasket scraped off the oil pan.

i'm not sure what you mean by the crankcase and oil pump seals. i beleive the oil pump is right under the crankshaft and both are housed in the in oil pan .

hope this is of some help to anyone that has this issue.
  • tuition06tuition06 Member Posts: 20
    Are there audible front brake pad wear sensors on my 97 lx 450? I am at 52,000 miles now. Bought the lx from my local lexus dealer at 30,000 miles. No new front brakes yet.
  • trout14trout14 Member Posts: 19
    Can someone let me know if the TLC's have memory power seats, and if so was this available on 99 models? This is my wifes main concern in picking a car, along with color of course. If anyone knows of any problems with 99 models please let me know.

Thanks
  • mkwamemkwame Member Posts: 21
    The 99 TLC didn't have memory seats.
    As for known problems with these rigs, there's none. Exception is the heat shield rattle and possible tranny whine which my dealer tells me is normal.

The 98 and up Lexus lx470 has all the memory stuff & more.
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    Should be, but the pads may not be OEM. Easy enough to find out what the pad thickness is by pulling a wheel and looking through the caliper. I usually get ~15k miles out of front pads, but some get more.
  • trout14trout14 Member Posts: 19
    I am looking mainly at 99 TLC's, but came across a 2000 for a very good price. Anybody know if they came standard with a differential lock, and should there be a knob like the 99 has?
    #2457 I believe 2000 was the first year for the Traction Control system, hence no rear diff lock.?
  • jbald100jbald100 Member Posts: 1
    When will more horsepower be available for LC?" I am about to buy an 03LC and feel the LC could use more to be the best.
  • curiousx54curiousx54 Member Posts: 3
    I am about to purchase an '03 Land Cruiser and I have a 24 foot trailer home that I want to tow (5000lbs). Has anyone every towed with their LC. If you have, how was it? Did the LC just breeze its way around, or did it sorta lag.