Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• bloodybeefbloodybeef Member Posts: 18
    It's ski season here in Seattle and I just got my season pass...so the question is... What do people recommend for winter driving? Seattle is still nice and dry but I intend to head up to the pass, where it's really icy, at least once a week. I'm undecided between changing to studded tires (which is now legal) or chains. So far everyone I've spoken to recommended chains because it's cheaper, but I can not get a general agreement on what kind to use (the Z cables or the diamond chain-links). Someone told me the chain links can be harsh on the tires, unlike the cables, but I've heard the diamond links are better for traction. Anyone else have a good recommendation?
  • y2ktlcy2ktlc Member Posts: 6
    Boston <-</A>> Wilmington, DE along I95. Most of time around 70. Except in G. Washington Bridge/New York area 55/60. I drove at night to avoid traffic and didn't stop at rest/service area.
  • lc2000lc2000 Member Posts: 33
    Mileage: It is relatively simple to get decent gas mileage out of your 00/01 LC. Just keep it 65 MPH, use the cruise control, and expect to get 18 plus on flat roads and a little less on hill climbs. As for driving my LC at 80 MPH for extended periods--no way. I love my family too much.

Sun Roof Wind Deflector: Try polishing your roof before you install it (mfg recommendation). Then be sure you center it before tightening down the lock nuts. Park or drive in the sun for awhile, then retighten the nuts. About once a month, check the nuts and retighten as necessary.

Rear Window Deflector: Yeah, it doesn't do everything its supposed to, but it sure looks neat. However, it does help (a little) in wet weather and does blow off a certain about of dust in dry weather. I've tried it both ways, with and without, and I'll take with.
  • paraisoparaiso Member Posts: 8
    With one set of chains, do you install on the fronts or rears?
  • hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    Your choice. I prefer rear since it seems to get most of the torque from the open center diff and it prevents a break-away rear in downhill situations. If you have some traction (such as well below freezing plowed roads provide), the front should enhance your steering without the risk of swapping ends.

Problem with one set and an open diff is that in really poor conditions (black ice, melting water over ice, etc) the chains may provide enough traction to transfer all the torque to the axle that has no chains - and no traction. Be prepared to temporarily lock and un-lock the center diff frequently to re-gain traction.

All this applys only to pre 2000 LC's. After 99 they have traction control standard. For the 2000+, I'd probably put the chains on the front and use low gear (or even low range) for icy downhill sections.

Still, if your gonna be climbing out of the car to roll around in the snow/slush/mud to install chains, you might as well do both axles. I carry a set of old waterproof overalls just for that purpose.

Finally, (this is optional) you might want to carry a tow strap. Use it to drag stupid SUV drivers out of the ditch who think having 4wd is all you need to play snowmobile.

HiC
    In the 2001 LC manuals it actually tell you to only install chains to the rear tires... Is this only a suggestion thing or is there not enough clearance up front? Most chain sites recommend installing chains on all tires...is this just a ploy to sell more chains? Although it does make a lot of sense to put it on all tires for better traction.
    I'm not familiar with the 2000+ LC's, but if they say put 'em on the rear, then put 'em on the rear. May be a safty issue (better downhill control), may be the way the traction control works (does it apportion more torque to the rear?), may be a combination.

Chains on all four wheels are the best, regardless, for two primary reasons: 1.) makes all the wheels have the same circumference which prevents slippage (or worse, damage) when the center diff is locked and 2. provides the same level of traction on all wheels which allows the AWD to take full advantage of its abilities.

HiC
  • paraisoparaiso Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info. Can't wait to go 'boarding this winter.

Change of subject: I've noticed that a very few '00 LCs in black or white have color matched bumpers and side moulding. Is this some kind of a "special" dealer option? Perhaps Dianne or Cliffy may have some inside info on this subject. Just curious because it is unusual and it does give the LC a different look.
  • truckdiggertruckdigger Member Posts: 9
    I have to ask. Why in the world would someone buying a $55+ vehicle go through all this arbitration, class action law suits nonsense because the stereo does not match his liking. It is not possible to design a radio set-up that everone will like. Now a days many folks like a lot of bass. But....

Why not just REPLACE THE DANG THING!!!!!!!!

The money you will spend on a lawyer, the time you have already spent (opportunity cost. how much do you make an hour * the number of hours you have spent on the phone with toyota), and court cost will wind up costing you a fortune.
    5-6xs what a new amp, etc. would cost.

Suggestion:

go out to your nearest audiophile shop and let the guys play with it for a minute. Let them suggest a fix. It may be as simple as installing a cross-over, making adjustments to your amp settings or installing(this thing that allows you to control the amount of bass signal that is being sent to the speakers)

who knows it might only wind up costing you about $1-200 bucks.

Just think about it! You spent $50k+ and are killing yourselves over a less than $1k fix.

Not worth it.

Truck
  • stevenginastevengina Member Posts: 15
    Truckdigger- I don't know about you but I was raised not to bow down to anybody!!! Maybe thats why I don't get paid by the hour but get compensated very well for my hard work. In the long run this will help everyone with a fix!!
    By the way... Do you work for Toyota???
    Truckdigger- It is rather funny how people who don't own this vehicle put posts like this. The stereo is not to my liking because it has a MAJOR design flaw. It has nothing to due with that it is not to my liking. Also, in the long run Toyota will have to own up to the problem if taken to court and have to pay all lost expenses on my part. This to will allow all others to use this case in getting their TLC fixed.
  • janaschicagojanaschicago Member Posts: 11
    I agree with truckdigger that a crossover (active
    or passive) would solve the problem.

Passives are put between the amplifier and the
    speakers, it is in most case a R-L-C network which
    "hides" driver outside its frequency band. But a
    driver has no frequency independent parameters, so
    a passive crossover is good for particulars drivers and is not universal, and because they work with amplified signals they are sometimes referred to as "high-level networks.

Active, or electronic, crossovers split the audio
    spectrum in several bands before amplification,
    they are very easy to compute and build, but the
    main drawback is that there should be an amplifier
    for each band, and because they work with
    non-amplified signals they are often referred to as "low-level networks.

There exists a third type of filter, the
    line-level passive filter. Like the active one it
    performs the splitting before the amplifiers, but
    it is much more economical. The (high) price to be
    paid is represented by the inevitable attenuation
    introduced on the signal.

This solution, however, for Toyota (or JBL), would
    cost thousands, perhaps more.

I don't agree with truckdiger's outlook on
    stevengina's litigation efforts though.

Opportunity cost is the difference between the
    best payoff and that payoff resulting from your
    choice. It is defined as the value of a resource in its best alternative use, but this is not a real outlay in that it doesn't have to be an expenditure or an expense itself (i.e. alternative strategies rather than &#147;foregone&#148; profitability).

Factor in objectives (what a decision maker seeks
    to accomplish or to obtain by means of his
    decision) and that a decision maker may have more
    than one objective, it becomes apparent that
    opportunity cost can't be used as a criticism
    against stevengina. No person can put a value on
    another's decisions.

As for the lawsuit, there is always the
    possibility that the judge will award attorney's
    fees to stevengina (thereby lowering his
    opportunity cost because the value of resources
    used to produce the outcome...

I say go for it...the squeaky wheel gets the
    grease (or is the booming stereo?...) We're all better off through your efforts stevengina, thank you.
    And I do own a LC. After giving toy the opportunity to fix it (and documenting everything), I say go to a high end audio shop, get some written documentation of the problem, fix it to your liking, and then take Toy to small claims for the cost.

Let Toy be the ones to figure what the cost of litigation is.

BTW: I never even hear my stereo. Kids are louder that it will ever go.

HiC
    Well HIC , I noticed you own a 1998 TLC, not a 2001 TLC- enough said. It is only a few of us that have the guts to take Toyota to court to prove that they are wrong in there findings of "no problem with the stereo" And I'm sure many of you who do own the 2001 TLC have been watching my case very closely. I sure hope this helps all of the consumers who are rather upset about the service they are getting from Toyota. I have to say to all of those people who don't own a 2001 TLC- fell LUCKY!! You have know idea what your not hearing...
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    I suppose if I paid that much for a luxury vehicle, I would be upset at any little problem. It's just funny though as on other TLC lists the advice to cure a noisy tranny or motor or other noise is to turn up the stereo!
    That was someone elses question. I do have the fender flares on mine though (not after market, they have a Toy part #). So far, I have not seen any others.

Just begs for bigger tires.

HiC
  • tayatmtayatm Member Posts: 4
    I looking to purchase a 1993 or newer Landcruiser. Was wondering if LC's with over 100K miles have shown any problems that can be expensive. Anything I should look for??
  • dmac8dmac8 Member Posts: 54
    Stevengina: Your honor, I don't like the sound of the stereo in my Toyota Landcruiser.

Judge: Is the stereo important to you?

S/gina : Yes your honor, I have a collection of fine music and like to enjoy it whilst in my vehicle.

Judge: Was this an expensive vehicle?

S /gina: Yes your honor.

Judge: So then you did your diligence prior to purchasing it?

S / gina: Of course your honor.

Judge: Did you listen to the stereo?

Don't bow down! My fellow members of the bar will love you for it.
    1. everyone has an hourly rate. Everyone! Everyone has an amount, a value associated with their time. Your arrogance suggest that you are either self-employed, independently wealthy or salaried. At any rate you have an hourly rate. do some math. even you might be able to figure it out.

2. If you are pursuing this for principle only then I guess I can sorta understand why you would devote your time to this issue. BUT I will say again there are HOW many people in the world that have the ability to purchase a LC? hundreds of thousands maybe. Well, how is one to expect a company to make a stereo that fits everyones taste. This is the reason for aftermarket stereos. This way you have the option to taylor your stereo to your liking.

3. dmac8 had a Darn good point. "Did you listen to the stereo before you purchased the LC?" If you did your home work and spent more time examining and researching the 2001 LC maybe you would have noticed this. So basically you are trying to make toyota pay for your mistake.

(Example: you go and you order a bacon cheese burger and you failed to see that the burger comes with honey mustard. You assumed it came with mayo. And you really want mayo and are allergic to honey. So basically you ?#$@*d up. You are the type of person that would make a scene in the restraunt if they refused to make you another. You would want them to pay for your mistake.)

This whole issue about the stereo is not some crusade against the big bad toyota. You are driving a great machine and love everything but the stereo. do as janaschicago and I have suggested. Go out get a crossover save your heart, blood pressure, money, time etc. , enjoy your 50k+ truck and stop crying.

You act like by persuing this you will save lives IE: firestone laysuits, or you could be the lucky owner of a JGC. those are worth while law suits.

Your stupid lawsuit over a $100 customization is what will really wind up hurting folks ("in the long run") that may really have a problem with a toy and are seeking compensation. Stupid lawsuits hurt everyone.

If you need a release why not go Bungy Jumping, pull a car with your teeth, join the Gore campaign in FL, or help Sally Strothers FEED THE CHILDREN. Crying over a darn bass issue that is easily fixed is nothing but a booszy temper tantrum.

I am not asking you to bow down to anyone. I am asking you to stop bending over and being an...

Am I a toy salesman? No! ask Dainne or Cliffy they know me. you don't see me trying to sell toys. I just hate having to skim through your BS post crying about nothing. you are just as bad as the loon crying about a vibration in the gear shift nob.

I guess now I am starting something.

janaschicago,

are you a lawyer or are you the professor I had for my Critical Thinking course in Grad school ;) Great post!

Truck
  • nota4renota4re Member Posts: 54
    I guess I have the dubious distinction of posting the very first message to this board regarding the 2001 stereo problem. I have a '98 and recommended a 2001 to a close friend. On the way back to work after the purchase is when I observed this problem. For those of you who haven't heard it - it is NOT a taste thing. There is a real issue in that it is extremely "boomy" and annoying. In fact, after fiddling with every button and adjustment - I finally turned the damn thing off.

Regarding the point about the cost of the vehicle, and the test drive remarks - give me a break. When you buy ANY new car, you certainly have the reasonable right to assume that the components do not have any major design flaws inhibiting their usage. Granted, it's not a saftey issue, but in the case of the TLC some of that $55K out-the-door cost went to that darn radio. As for the test drive, I ALWAYS turn the stereo off. I want to hear the car - listening for squeaks and/or rattles and generally getting a feel for the quietness of the car. I don't test every feature. Although i may not use the ABS, the heater, the dome light, the left turn signal, etc. - I do have the reasonable right to assume that they all work.

Regarding a non-dealer remedy - don't fool yourself. As you may recall, I'm the guy who just ripped out all the factory stuff in favor of the Alpine system. As I pointed out in that post, the wiring is a little unique. Toyota has done (at least in the '98) a lot of non-standard connections between the amp and their head unit. If you replace one, likely you'll be replacing the other - or spending a lot of time jury-rigging a solution.

Why the %^&* should an owner have to take money out of their own pocket to pay for a repair?? This is absurd - especially if you consider that the "evidence" is that EVERY single 2001 TLC has this problem. About half dozen have been reported here and not a single individual who has a 2001 without the problem.

Now, mind you, I don't even have one - but I've heard it. I'm very ticked at Toyota for their procrastination and denials. They blew it and instead of acting like a mature and responsible compnay - they're running away like a bunch of cowards.

I salut the owners who are pursuing this problem. Keep going and I hope that Toyota will grow-up soon!
  • kurtl100kurtl100 Member Posts: 11
    Why doesn't everyone just chill a bit.

Truckdigger: The problem with the 2001 TLC stereos is real. It is not an issue of any individuals personnal taste. This system has a clear and distinct design flaw: the low end bass is boosted when the engine is turned on to the point where it overwhelms the higherend bass, midrange and treble frequencies. Mind you this only occurs a lower volumes when the engine is on; at high volumes, the bass levels are not particularly excessive. I suggest you or anyone else that dobts the problem go listen to a 2001 TLC stereo (however, make sure the engine is running, the stereo is just fine when the engine is off).

JAnaschicago: Thank you for the suggestion with regard to a crossover. Unfortunately, given the nature of the problem the crossover would not be a fix. Rather, it would trade one problem for another. The crossover may improve the stereo when playing music at low volumes when the engine is running, but the result would be less than adequate amounts of bass at higher volumes or at any volume when the engine is turned off. I suspect the problem relates to a designed in bass boast switch in the amp. If this switch could be bypassed so that the bass would remain at engine-off levels, the problem would be solved. Here is the rub: I will bet significant amounts of cash that the boost switch is integrated into an IC on the circuit board and cannot by bypassed without a complete redesign of the board.

With regard to Steve's lawsuit: Perhaps steve is being a bit premature in filing a lawsuit, perhaps not. Toyota did deny the problem in his arbitration hearing after admitting the problem in pre-arbitration discussions. Toyota has made comments to other TLC owners complaining about the problem that a fix is on the way while denying the problem even exists to others. Frankly, I am disappointed in the manner Toyota has handled this whole thing. A lawsuit may be just the type of threat that is necessary to get Toyota to take this whole thing seriously.

For those of you who own a 2001 TLC with the stereo problem, please send me your email address (if you have not done so). I am putting togethor a email list so that we might share our progress in dealing with Toyota to resolve this problem. My email: kleyendecker@usa.net.

Lets all let cooler heads prevail and stop using this board as a place to ridicule one another. Thanx.
    Truck- there you go again. Do you have a 2001 TLC- I think not! I test drove the 2000 TLC and ordered the 2001 before it came out. My attorney makes it very clear that you by a vehicle in good faith that certain things work. It is funny that I do believe that all 2001 TLC owners that have read your posts would agree how stupid they sound. You have truly missed the whole point. I would completely agree with you if this was just a inferior stereo. It is not!!! The engeners screwed up!!! And Toyota has been cowardly in handling this problem. Now if you choose to look at this in a correct manor, I will except your apology.

Truckdigger: The problem with the 2001 TLC stereos is real. It is not an issue of any individuals personnal taste. This system has a clear and distinct design flaw: the low end bass is boosted when the engine is turned on to the point where it overwhelms the higherend bass, midrange and treble frequencies. Mind you this only occurs a lower volumes when the engine is on; at high volumes, the bass levels are not particularly excessive. I suggest you or anyone else that dobts the problem go listen to a 2001 TLC stereo (however, make sure the engine is running, the stereo is just fine when the engine is off).

JAnaschicago: Thank you for the suggestion with regard to a crossover. Unfortunately, given the nature of the problem the crossover would not be a fix. Rather, it would trade one problem for another. The crossover may improve the stereo when playing music at low volumes when the engine is running, but the result would be less than adequate amounts of bass at higher volumes or at any volume when the engine is turned off. I suspect the problem relates to a designed in bass boast switch in the amp. If this switch could be bypassed so that the bass would remain at engine-off levels, the problem would be solved. Here is the rub: I will bet significant amounts of cash that the boost switch is integrated into an IC on the circuit board and cannot by bypassed without a complete redesign of the board.

With regard to Steve's lawsuit: Perhaps steve is being a bit premature in filing a lawsuit, perhaps not. Toyota did deny the problem in his arbitration hearing after admitting the problem in pre-arbitration discussions. Toyota has made comments to other TLC owners complaining about the problem that a fix is on the way while denying the problem even exists to others. Frankly, I am disappointed in the manner Toyota has handled this whole thing. A lawsuit may be just the type of threat that is necessary to get Toyota to take this whole thing seriously.

For those of you who own a 2001 TLC with the stereo problem, please send me your email address (if you have not done so). I am putting togethor a email list so that we might share our progress in dealing with Toyota to resolve this problem. My email: kleyendecker@usa.net.

Lets all let cooler heads prevail and stop using this board as a place to ridicule one another. Thanx.

For somereason my post has been posted several times by mistake. Please forgive me.
  • dmac8dmac8 Member Posts: 54
    Before I purchase a vehicle. I test drive it in conditions that replicate my daily driving patterns.

As far as music is concerned, my home rig consists of Krell electronics and high end Thiel speakers. The XLO speaker wires and interconnects were $5,000. The purpose of this is not to boast, but illustrate that I'm pretty anal about listening to music.

Back to the test drive. I want to drive the truck with the stereo on, and off. After all, this is what you will do when you own it.

I want to drive it in traffic, and also on the highway as fast as I can safely go. I take copies of CD's I like to listen to. After driving the car at various speeds without the stereo, I'd do the same while listening.

AM radio and music from CD are the only things I'm interested in so, basically, I want to make sure the stereo is audible at 80mph.

I have 2 TLC's, a 92 and 95, plus some cars. I would suggest to anyone on this board, that the interior of the TLC is an entirely compromised place for good stereo.

There is too much glass and steel creating the types of reflective surfaces that compromise the audio environment. Add to this the fact that the TLC is still a heavy body on frame vehicle with a relatively short wheelbase and you can understand how much ambient noise is generated.

To overcome this, Toyota (like most others) put in a lot of bass response. If you don't have the hearing of a normal 20 year old, chances are you won't like it.

Personally, I can't stand it because I'm used to a stereo that reproduces the original music without any additives.

Truckdigger offers some ingenuous advice with the crossover. Tweaking that is your vest solution to get a sound you can live with.

Though I don't own a 100 series, I'm familiar enough with their characteristics to comment.

I usually agonize on this board about getting a new one. If my current 80's died, I'd do so in a minute.

While the 100 is a terrific vehicle, at the end of the day it's a tarted up truck. When I want to go fast, have good handling and listen to nice sounds, I drive my car.

This board is a nice place when people share their opinions, however strong they may be. It's not so cool when someone gets snobby or condescending. Contrived snootiness is quite funny, but the real thing isn't.
    No! Will I own one or a seq very soon yes.

But As I said in the earlier post. If you are unhappy with your stereo you only have yourself to blame.

All of you say that the bass is so bad that you turn it off, etc. Well, didn't you notice this on your way home form the dealership. maybe the next day or even the next day.

most states allow you to return a vehicle that you are unhappy with with in like ~ 72hrs. If the stereo is so bad why didn't you take it back.

All of you say that it is so noticeable. Right? I have a problem with that.

dmac8 beat me to the punch. I would never assume anything when buying a 50K+ car. I will actually drive the vehicle for at least a day or two before I decide to buy one.

You are basically pissed with Toyota because you did not do your homework. ADMIT IT!

But heh! I had planned on test driving the LC again this week-end anyway. I promise that I will try my best to find this problem. If I do find it and it is as bad as you all say I will apologize for insinuating that your displeasure is silly.

I will not apologize for saying that you did not do your homework before buying the 2001 LC. i am sorry test driving a 2000 just wouldn't do it for me.

Heh! when you purchased your house did you just look at the model?

nota4re,

You said:

"especially if you consider that the
    "evidence" is that EVERY single 2001 TLC has this
    problem. About half dozen have been reported here
    and not a single individual who has a 2001 without the problem."

WOW! are you trying to temp me with this one? EVERY is a strong word? isn't it?

I do believe that if you go back and read the post you will see at least 2-3 2001 owners that have said they do not have this problem.

Also, to say that EVERY owner has it because 12 or so on Edmund's has it is pushing JUST A LITTLE BIT!!!!!

Truck
  • janaschicagojanaschicago Member Posts: 11
    Truckdigger, you hit the nail on the head. I am an attorney at a national law firm who previously taught economics at a major college. very impressive deduction!

Kurt100, I agree that the problem & fix most likely lies within the amp circuitry (a faulty integrated active crossover which is improperly raising its gain? who knows? JBL?)

My intention was to add to truckdigger's suggestion of a crossover (a variable active electronic crossover could solve (not perfect) bass levels when the engine is off or at any volume level, albeit with manual adjustment).

Though, as nota4re stated, that misses the point. Again, I totally agree with your post.
    Truck- well at least your getting a little nicer:)
    I'm glad you can still be saved from purchasing the new 2001 TLC . My persistence on this board my pay off with you- how ironic:)- All I can say is you won't be buying this vehicle now that you are aware of the problem. I already except your apology that will come in the near future:) By the way in California it is very common to buy a house with just looking at the model. The models are built well before they break ground on the house you purchase from the model.
    Did I make a mistake by not fully testing all aspects of the 2001 TLC- YOU BET!!! In hindsight, I sure wish I did.
    But Under California state law- This by far does not let Toyota off the hook!!
    Do you think the families that had problems with there firestone tires went out to see if cracks were forming after a few years- No they assumed that they were designed to a certain spec.
    I know this is different, but this is a fairly obvious point I'm making.
    The consumer (By Law) is not responsible by any means to know for a fact that everything is designed properly in a vehicle they purchase- this is a know brainer!
    I would be more than happy to let Toyota fix this problem originally- But because of the lies and dishonesty- and still claiming that it is not a problem, they have given me know choice but to file a law suite.
    So, Trucker- please calm down. Do yourself a favor, don't buy this TLC till Toyota reenginers this problem out. I do believe that I'm doing the right thing- I hope you understand a little better now.

By the way, I have over 27 people now that have emailed me with the same problem. I would invite anyone who has the 2001 TLC without this problem to please respond!!! A few people who originally post that said they loved there 2001 TLC have now emailed me with the same problem. This is most definitely designed into all 2001 TLC. Thats why Toyota will not admit the problem!!
    you can scribble your own unwanted double (or triple) posts by just checking the box next to the post # and then checking the "scribble post" option.

I sometimes wish I could scribble other peoples' posts....

HiC
    Just a small reminder- any California owners of the 2001 TLC, my attorney would like to hear from you. It will help with the fix to come sooner than later. His email is wilens@pacbell.net
    His full name is Jeffrey N. wilens.
    And for you non owners- please no negative comments on this subject.
    I always invite something that will help in the fix to this most obvious problem.
    Again my email is steven_schreiber@genevaco.com
    please feel free to email me any time for a update on my case with Toyota.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I feel like I'm changing the subject here but I have a serious question for you about your 2000 LC. It has been speculated that in snow, the traction control system will bog you down and not let you move beyond a crawl. I know you can lock the center differential which turns off the TRACS system but do you need to do this? It sounds like you have done a fair amount of driving in snow so I would appreciate your impressions of this vehicle in snow. Toyota now has this same system in the Sequoia but without an easy to lock center differential and I want to make sure I am describing things correctly to my customers.
  • mghmgh Member Posts: 43
    Civil lawsuits just make Attorneys rich.
    Toyota works very hard to make the best SUV for us and you guys are crushing this dream. Just let them know about the problem and wait, they will fix it it just takes time.

Regards,

MG
  • fj100fj100 Member Posts: 97
    Has anyone out there uncovered any hidden options that Toyota did not advertise for the 100 series, like from other parts of the world that can be adapted or are prewired in the US Cruisers? The reason I ask is because my '95 FJ80 came without the center diff lock button and the hidden cup holder that goes in above the stereo. I installed both of these options in about 20 minutes in the '95. Maybe even some of the Lexus options are prewired and we just do not know it. I am not trying to maker my LC a Lexus, I just would like any none standard US options uncovered so we all can enjoy them. A service manual might uncover some of these options or a Australian or Japanese parts guide.

Thanks for the help.
    MGH- please understand, that is all I ever wanted was Toyota to fix the problem. I think there is allot of people who are missing the whole point. Toyota will not, and has not admitted that there is a problem. They say there is no problem and that the stereo is operating normal. I have done all I can to give the opportunity for Toyota to fix this problem- they just refuse. So now what-I see it as Toyotas responsibility to fix this. It is VERY unfortunate that they will have to admit fault by my right to take them to court. Believe me this was the last resort.
    Mine is a 98 - I don't have tracs. If I did, and in heavy snow though, I'd sure find a way to defeat it and in a hurry. If locking the center diff acomplishes that (as shifting to low range would), that is what I'd do.

In the 98 I leave the center open on plowed roads to prevent wheel slippage. In anything more than a few inches and I will lock the center and live with the occaisonal wheel spin (in fact, its kind of fun). When the snow is up to the running board I'll even lock the rear. If it's deeper than that and a real wet snow, I'm usually outside the car trying to free myself with a shovel - :)

BTW: I've been able to plow through 30" deep snow - light powder - uphill in stock tires with just the center locked. As soon as I unlocked it (to see how it would behave), I bogged down almost immediately. Locked it again and I was on my way. Giggling like a 4 year old.

HiC
  • peaches5peaches5 Member Posts: 91
    Just an FYI - it seems as if people are having the same stereo problem on the Sequoia. I know Diane even got in an LC and noticed it too. Also, I'm not aware of any states that have a 72 hour return policy on cars. I'm sure there's some out there, but I can't imagine it's "most states" ;)
    Truckdigger: There is no 72 "cool off" period law in Washington, where I live, nor California, where I bought my LC. Maybe when you get your LC, you can fix it up and tell us what you did to tame the beast.
    I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about stereos nor cars. That said when I first notice this problem with my LC I brought it to the local dealer, their mechanic identified the problem right away and said there is definitely something wrong. After browsing through the two volumes of 2001 LC mechanic manuals and talking on the phone for half an hour with Toyota's Cali headquarter he told me he's not sure what he could do and told me to call the hotline. I think Steve actually got a little more response initially, they were going to replace his system until they found out all the 2001 LC have the same problem. What really peeves me is how these mechanics were able to say that there is something really wrong with the stereo until they compare it to another 2001 LC...suddenly its a feature, an enhancement for your listening pleasure.
    As a 24-years-old, club-hopping, rap-listening gal, I love bass, but this thing is so bad it gives me migraines. I can even listen to my little brother's car stereo with his huge mother of all aftermarket-subwoofers and all it does is get my heart-rate up a little.
    Basically what I'm trying to say is this stereo has some real issues and no one has a proven solution. I've brought my car to two different local dealers and both offer completely different solutions (with no guarantees for a fix, nothing about crossovers either) at various costs. Steve, himself, met with a head engineer of Toyota who attempted a fix to keep him out of arbitration but failed utterly.
    I'm always on the look out for posts regarding fixes for the stereo, what to do for best winter tractions and what's the best danged all-terrain tires out there and this board has been great on that. Still, I'm a little disappointed by the amount of bashing done on someone who is only trying to find a fix.
    Onto a nicer topic, what tires do people recommend for a newbie offroader? I've read in some post that people don't particular care for the Dunlop Grandtec P275/70R16 that comes with my LC.
    The state of VA has an interesting law on returning vehicles. If you purchase the vehicle in the dealership's normal place of business, there is no right of return. If you buy it at an "off site" sale or if you sign the paperwork in your home, you have 72 hours to cancel the deal. It is called the right of rescission and only applies to transactions away from where the dealer's business license is listed.
    In all honesty, even if I had 72 hours to return the LC I wouldn't have done so...simply because aside from the bad stereo, I love the rest of the it. Also initially for the first two weeks or so, it seemed like Toyota would be willing to fix it. Nevertheless,I'm enjoying my LC, I just had the JAOS brush guard installed and I must say, the OEM brush guards does not do the LC justice.
  • blisterbaseblisterbase Member Posts: 1
    I am another person with blistering bass problems in a 2001 Land Cruiser. I test drove a 2000 with the stereo on....no problem. I drove a Sequoia for almost three weeks. The Sequoia has what appears to be the same 6 disc AM/FM cassette deck as the TLC. THERE IS NO BLISTERING BASS PROBLEM IN THE SEQUOIA. I therefore assumed that the stereo in the 2001 would be the same. In retrospect as it has been said: "to assume is to blunder". I blundered. For the past week I have been going around and around with Toyota. The service manager at my dealer immediately recognized that there is a problem. Toyota at first seemed to be playing dumb about the subject. After pestering them for the past week, I have been informed by the customer service manager at my dealership that Toyota does in fact recognize that there is a bass problem in 2001 TLCs. They are working with the manufacturer of the stereo for a fix. The fix is supposedly two months away. Word about this has not filtered down to the dealership level as yet. Until the blistering bass problem is resolved by the manufacturer....boom on, my friends. (or fade out the front speakers)
  • smitty888smitty888 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you to all discussing the stereo issue. I was all set to put my money down for the 2001 TLC, until I read your warnings. When I test drove the truck we only listened to the stereo loud and fairly briefly, focusing my attention on the sound of the truck.

I just came from checking the issue out for myself and sure enough it is PROBLEM. With the engine off the volume control works normally. But, with the engine on, the volume control will not reduce the bass after a certain point. One notch above zero, you can not hear anything, except a loud bass thump, thump. So much for listening to anything soft.

I am going to wait for the fix, assuming it is coming. Or . . . ?? Again, thanks for the heads up.

Smitty
  • nota4renota4re Member Posts: 54
    Truckdigger alleges that there's a couple of you out there with 2001 TLC's WITHOUT the stereo problem. If so, can you post again - possibly with the last 6 digits of your VIN?

(Personally, I don't recall seeing a post on the 2001 WITHOUT the problem - hence my assertion that there is a strong lillihood that ALL 2001's are effected.)
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    You say you have an 95 Fj80.
    My understanding is that 95's were Fj100s and that the Fj80 was phased out in 1992.
    Anyone clarify?
  • tbevertbever Member Posts: 39
    Although I have not testdriven a LC specifically to listen for the booming bass problem, I have noticed a similar sounding situation in my new 2001 Sequoia with 6 dash changer (Limited). There does not seem to be a problem with the engine turned off, but as soon as it is on the bass is highly accentuated to the point where I have it turned to -3 or -4. With the bass cranked way down it is not bad, but I would have expected better. This sounds similar to the LC problem but I am not sure if this is the same system. I disagree with post #261 and I think this is a potential problem with the Sequoia also.
    FJ80 - Was fromm'91 to '92, Inline 6, 155 hp
    FZJ80 - Was from '93 to '97, Inline 6, 24valve, 212 hp
    FJ100 - '98 to Present, V8, Completely redesigned.

I use to have a '95 FZJ80. I currently have a FJ100.
    I have a '99 LC with rear climate control. After driving to work this morning I was checking the rear climate control and how it worked. Here is the issue, even with the temperature control slid all the way over to the hottest position, the system would not blow hot air out of the roof ducts. When I selected the foot ducts, really hot air but when I selected either roof only or roof and feet, the roof ducts would only blow cold air. This does not seem right. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    fj100: Check your owners manual. I beleive the roof vents will only blow AC. I believe Toyota thought it unwise to send hot air out of the top vents to warm passengers below given that hot air rises.
    I think Kurtl100 is correct but there is another issue as well. The ducts in the roof are not well insulated from the elements up there. They are less than an inch from the roof and this would keep the air very cool in cold weather. This is also why, in the summer, you get warm air until you start to drive.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Gee, makes me glad I don't have these gizmo's that can drive me nuts!