Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• hichic Member Posts: 8
    Steve, I see your point, but in my case the resulting divorce would cost a heck of a lot more than 55k!

Not only no memory function, but a really s l o w motor (at least in my 98).

HiC
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Toyota is trying to make you buy an LX470. The LX470 and Land Cruiser are so much alike, they have to have some features unique to the LX470.
  • luvboxrsluvboxrs Member Posts: 47
    LOL! So true! Let's see if my husband goes for that! I've given up asking him not to fool with my seat so I'll try the "you just can't drive it" approach ;)

Really, it's just a minor inconvenience, but still something that really should be included in this caliber of vehicle.

I did get a great deal on my LC--we paid $1,500 over invoice. I did, however get taken on the $3,000 wheels that I put on it which probably made up for the great deal. Oh well. Looks hot and that's what counts, right?? :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    LOL - point taken.

You guys crack me up :-)

Steve, Host
  • hank14hank14 Member Posts: 133
    Newcruiser

Are you looking at a dealer or an individual? How many owners? Any maintenance records? I personally think mileage is irrelevant if the vehicle is very well cared for, which many Landcruisers are, due to their high purchase price.

Hank
  • scottnrosescottnrose Member Posts: 47
    Hi guys. I'm planning to change the rear brake pads on my 2000 LC this weekend(@ 56.5K) - using stock Toyota pads. The wear indicators are making lots of noise when reversing. Having changed pads on cars before, I would like to know if there are any tricks (i.e.: releasing the piston, etc.). Also, what type of coating do you recommend to prevent squeals?

The advice on this forum has been incredibly helpful in my purchase decision and now my ownership of this great vehicle. Thanks for all the information!
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    The seat memory in every car I have owned that had it malfunctioned at some point - so I consider lack of seat memory one thing that wont break on the LC!
  • tuition06tuition06 Member Posts: 20
    Anyone have a window motor fail on their 97 TLC? Is it a do it yourself replacement? Neither the drivers door switch nor the back door switch will operate it. All others are fine. Appreciate the help.
  • jessupjessup Member Posts: 1
    OH my! I thought I was the only one who had this problem (with my cd). My cd player said error too and then it never worked again. I was so bummed about it. The dealer couldn't fix it nor could my warranty. So I've been looking at aftermarket nav,cd,tape and so on. This happened at 55,000mi on my third year. I have a 2000 lc. So what did you end up doing? Any tips? Thanks
  • mgreenemgreene Member Posts: 32
    I am finally ready to purchase an LC after drooling over these trucks for over 10 years. I am absolutely enamored with the 04 LC but before I lay my money down I would like to have an inkling as to what changes Toyota will make to the LC (and when).

I have heard and I read ( I believe in this forum) that the redesigned LC will be based on the Sequoia. What in the world does that mean?? Is it going to look like a Sequoia? What then will Toyota do with the Sequoia? Maybe even more important to me is when will Toyota release a redesined LC.

I like the current bodystyle of the Land Cruiser and love it's driving characteristics but I would like to see a stronger engine and that more than anything would make waiting a little more feasible. Any help or insights will be greatly appreciated.

MGreene
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    From what I have heard from other sources, the new Sequoia and Thundra and 4R will all get a bigger (around 5.4 to 5.6 liter) engine with about 300 hp capacity. The cruiser on the other hand will continue until 2006 and will either get redesigned and come back in its proper (meaning current luxury form) or revert back to its humble fj40 roots ; something similar to the FJ concept truck that was released a couple of years ago. The engine hp increase is a done deal but I am not certain about the cruiser redesign part. In either case, it is not likely that they will drop the land cruiser badge. It holds way too much prestige !!
    Why not get a supercharger? 10 years worth of drooling can't be good for your electrolyte balance, plus it could be a slip and fall hazard. Buy one and don't look back.
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    Saw a link the other day--thought it was posted here--from Toyota giving specs and price increases for '05s. V8s in Tundra and Sequoia get bumped to 282 HP, but LC stays the same. Only change mentioned was 18" wheels are now standard and I think the LC price increase was about 1 point something % over '04.

New design should be in '06, but seems we should have seen or heard some rumors by now? The speculation that LC will go away, or go to Lexus comes up from time to time, but it did when the 100 was introduced to replace the 80.

My only "guage" about a new LC continuing with two versions (Lexus and Toyota) is how many I see on dealer lots, used car ads, etc. My observation is LCs have been and continue to be very desireable. I seldom see them at the dealers in my area for more than a day or two, and very few used ones are in the paper two weeks in a row. And no adverstising at all. This makes me guess we'll see a new one for '06, albeit in the same limited numbers since the introduction of the Sequoia.
  • tlcmantlcman Member Posts: 220
    They need to bump up the power rating on the LC, Motor trend ranked four major top end luxury SUV´s... In order from worst to best, Nissan Armada 300+ hp was down graded for rattles, Lincoln Navigator 300+ hp was down graded for weight, Lexus 470 with 230hp, was praised for its attention to detail, refinement and design, but bumped to second place behind the Land rover because of its lack of power. No doubt many would think that a 4.7 liter V-8 should put out tons more Horse power than it does, but what people over look is that the engine was not designed with top end power in mind, and most people dont know the other spec called foot pounds of torque... the Toyota 4.7 liter V-8 puts down 320 lb ft of torque, which is unmatched by many sports cars... and I can only think of a lusty BMW 4.4 liter V-8 that puts down 300 lb ft, and 287hp... so the LC´s engine is not weak, its just not designed for racing.
    A supercharger... TRD has superchargers out for most of all of Toyotas and the LC boast one of the most powerful ones, that will ad about 100 horsies to the total, for a healthy 330hp... just be ready to drop $3,500 or more.
    The improvement that I noticed and praise Toyota for is the Drop of the 4 speed and introduction of the 5 speed auto in the LC... I drove both 4 and 5 speed, and I have to say the extra gear in the 03 and up LC´s really makes a noticeable acceleration differance... The old 4 speeds where used on the FJ-80 and FZJ-80 models but with slightly different timings, due to engine change, so that trany was well past an overhaul, again thank you Toyota for removing that 4 speed...
    I am not sure about the new engines but I herd that the FJ concept was powered by a 210hp V-6... if this is the case I will break down... I understand that it is smaller but Toyota needs to get back with the compitition... they have a killer platform (UZJ) they just need to do and engine swap...
    The one thing that has brought me back to Land Cruisers time and time again is their styling, it never goes out of style, unlike the Ford Explorers, or lincons,that go out of style in a few years, you can see lines on the 04 TLC models that you saw on 94 models, that you could see on 84 models and so on. They have stood the test of time and show what the Toyota Brand is capable of... I can only think of a few cars that have kept timeless styles... BMW which is changing, Jeep (only on the Wrangler platform) and Toyota, porsche, and thats it...

There is no way that the LC will be dropped, Toyota has a love for its beast (as do i) also the Land Cruiser, even with a less hp than that of other domestic SUVs, will leave them in the dust on the trails...
    and yes LC´s fly off dealers lots, the one I bought was driven on the lot and within an hour I looked at it gave it a quick spin and bought it, It wasnt even cleaned it was that new on the lot (but of course they did clean it)
    The only reason I was so prompt at buying it was that the one that was on the lot for a week that I was looking at buying got purchased... so I didnt want to loose the opertunity... :)
    LOL hank14, it's easy to understand the prolonged drool fest when you know that no one will ever mistake me for well heeled. The most I have ever spent for an automobile is in the mid 20's, and factor in I have no justifiable use for an LC. No kids, no trailoring requirements, and no idea how to even get "off road" , much less what to do once I got there! No, this is about the smile that stays on my face for weeks after driving, the way my eyes widen every time I see one of these beauties on the road, it's about the utter competence and class this truck just exudes. For me, having an LC parked in my driveway is about, for once in my life owning the very best there is.

The drool is handled with a bib and a mop bucket!! Will check into a Gatorade drip to replenish lost electrolytes, thank you for your concern :}

MGreene
    so the most off roading that you will do in an LC is runnning over you flower garden while backing out of your driveway... I know the feeling... the I just bought you and now im going to look at you poke you kick your tyres type of a feeling... Yes that is a great feeling, And it stays forever, I felt that way about my 94 TLC al the way up until my sister rolled it in april... And even then it was like losing somthing so close to me... (and yes my sister and I are fine, but she is not going to drive my cars when she visits me anymore!)

Just the thought that ´I own the king of the off road and can get my way through most anything´ feeling, is what you want.... OK the TLC will do that, enjoy!
    -mike
    I agree with you tlcman, the design of the LC is timeless and hence my dilema. I would like a more powerful engine, though again I agree with you that the LC's torque, makes for a surprisingly peppy engine and the LC is not meant to be a race car. However, more power could be more better!! On the other hand, I do not want Toyota to dicker with the styling too much, and I certainly do not want to see a Sequoia based LC! This whole thing, for me, could be solved if Toyota would be forthcoming about their plans for the LC! I would know exactly what I am going to buy and when!

I am so ready to put myself out of my misery! I have saved for years for this truck, and have arranged my finances so I can afford the payment, insurance, and maintenance (not as sure about the gas). I just need for Toyota to provide the necessary information so I can make the best decision.

All the best
    MGreene
    Exactly, and I also will be comforted in the knowledge, that if the Taliban ever land on our shores, I can pack all of my stuff, mount a 50 cal on the roof and truly join the war on terrorist!!

MGreene
    p.s. it is almost a tank now!
    you dont have to worry about the last part the Land Cruuser in manys oppinions fall right behind the H1! Also lets remember the LC is about 3 tons which makes any engine feel week in it.... GMC,Chevys, and fords, that have full time 4wd, and have powerfull engines some with over 320hp come close to the LC in accel test, when you would think that they would do better because of the power, but the truth is that Domestic SUVs engines are in most cases not mated with a proper transmision... thus you dont feel the power of the engine, you just spend money feeding it. The LC on the otherhand has a killer 5speed that makes the engine feel more peppy but it could certainly handle more power properly... Also remember the LC has full time 4 wheel drive, so accels are going to be slower, if it had a part time 4wd and part time 2wd you would feel tons more power... I agree that Toyota should not interbreed the LC and Sequoia, that would be a muder in itself. I dont think they will anyway, but Overall I agree with you, and truthfully all of Toyotas cars could use some more Horsies... Alhough Toyota does a great job on mating the engines with proper transmistions and power to weight ratio (exclude SUV´s)... The lowest end camry feels perky when pushed hard and has a pretty minimal 130 o so hp... so even though more is better im pleased with toyota
    -mike
    After a fender bender I have a dented front bumper.
    Has anyone ever had one of these repaired - as the bumper is metal I would think that it could be beaten back into shape. A new one cost $600 or so so its crazy, any advice for cheaper spares, also a drivers side endcap and whole moulding are needed. [Its a last resort to buy an ARP bumper as suggested above as it IS $650 and changes the refined LC look.]

Also I was quoted $450 for a front flare which is crazy as its only fibreglass. My damaged flare has a slight fracture; surely this could be filled and sanded and sprayed?

Advice is welcome as usual!
    if you are planing on a cheap fix but it will be stressed there... look around in towing yards you might be lucky enough to find a banged up TLC with an intact bumper, no mater what color it can be painted, you can get those for pretty cheap, if not look for fiberglass shops in the area and see what they can do with it, they are easy to remove all you need to do is take it in and ask them about it, im not a fiber glass expert, but I know they can patch... But wait i just remembered,, I had a 1994 FZJ-80 that my wife tested the bumpers on every side in a parking garage, I though those end caps were plastic? As for the bumper.... well you might find a body shop with a ding remver with enough force behind it to pull a TLC bumper straight again, but as for the banging thats a specialty that not many (with skill) do anymore (im not talking sledge hammer) ... how bad is the impact and where? give us more indepth details and our replies wont be so vauge. If your going to have to replace the whole thing get the ARB they are much better...
    The impact was such that the other car didnt have a scratch so it was 5mph maybe. The front bumper is dented in a two or three inches across a two/three foot area I would guess. And the moulding and endcap on one side is kind of twisted up. There is a slight amount of stress behind the bumper - distortion around the grill area and in fact I had difficulty in opening the hood initially.
    The end caps are plastic...The flares seem to be fibre glass so should be patchable I would think.....
    I have found a non-Toyota made new bumper quoted at $190 - risk I guess is that it doesnt fit.

The problem is that the front bumper is really an assembly including bumbper, grill, endcaps and a moulding. It is my understanding that the ARB replaces all of the above so thats the answer I guess,,,,,,,,
    Grant-end caps are separate, in fact just about all of the bumper's "components" are separate items. Go to the dealer and check out the fische.

Couldn't agree more WRT the "ruggedness" of these stock bumpers. At least on the 80 you do have metal in the center section. Someone got me in a parking lot and tore the front plastic cladding off the front bumper of my 100. I nearly soiled my pants when I saw what was under there. I was able to push out the deformation of the plastic and reattach it. I've got a slight bulge in the sheet metal at the crease just above the right front side below the side marker light. I've grown used to it and have decided not to fix it, as I know it will be ridiculou$ly expen$ive. Seems like just about all of the new vehicles with these plastic wrap around front "bumpers" have some sort of scratch or deformation in them
    The FJ and FZJ-80 bumpers along with previous modles were designed to be ridged and fairly bullet proof... If you had problems opening your hood the impact did not just include your bumper, your grill must have been hit or some how damaged too, which would require replacemnt parts or a stylish pollished steel mesh that would look good.... The new Bumpers according to Toyota are aimed at different Purposes, where the Old bumpers were designed to take hits from tanks, the new bumpers are designed to not hurt people if they get ran into at low speeds....... thus the entire plastic gril... Unfortunatly this is a low point for the TLC being the off road king that it is to be downgraded like that is like a shot in the foot.. But Toyota did some reseach and found that about 15-20% of the Fj-FZJ-80s ever found their way off road, and not just extream, And might I add that they found that about 5-10% of those had ever been put into the Low range of Transfercase....... Thus the removal of the bullet proof front bumper that would smash person ´A´ like a bug on a windshield, and the introduction of the all plastic grill, that would give the person ´A´ (with all of those brains to walk out infront of a moving TLC) more of a chance to survive, given he isnt ran over... This design carried over to the Sequoia, and 4Runner, Hilux, and parado, in other countries... But remember that behind the pretty plastic there is still the TLC that we know and trust, I know I trust my TLC more than any of my other cars when it comes time for a major accident, (which wont be happening anytime soon.... My little sister wont be driving my cars anymore... :)
    Does this bumper look like it would be OK?

http://www.toyota-automotive-store.com/auto_body_parts/land_cruis- er-1991-bodyparts---3872.html

Thanks for comments.
    I don't see why it wouldn't work. I guess it all depends on the installation and final fit. I'm with tlcman, however, and would personally opt for the ARB (with winch and lights, of course. I've never had a problem spending other people's money).
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    I agree with you Mgreen. Toyota needs to put some info out re: the future of the LC. I have been putting off purchasing one for a couple of years now b/c of the threat of a redesign. Although, with the changes they made to the 4-runner, it makes me very apprehensive of what they might do with the classic lines of the LC. I would be sick if they changed this vehicle dramatically and I did not have a chance to get one of the last '05s. The only thing holding me back is that one typically gravitates to the newer styling and technological enhancements, much as the case in 1998 w/ the latest LC.

That being said, as a consumer, I would like to make a $55K decision knowing all the facts. Toyota needs to pony up some info during the January 2005 auto shows to help potential long-term customers in our situation.
    I got a quote of $3,000 to fix the dented front bumper and all the other assembly bits and pieces - Geeze. AND the guy said that was the starting point - did not include other things probably necessary like a new grill and straightening "other things that may be bent". All for a 5mph bump.

And separately, the flare would cost more in labor for filling and sanding than a repacement flare at $450!!!!!!!!

The problem is that all the repair shops feed off of insurance claims where no-one cares about costs at all as the "insurance company pays". If you dont insure for collision (which makes sense for vehicles older than say 6/7 years) the repair shops take you as the owner-payer to the cleaners.
    Oh - I recall I had a rattle from inside my cat-con; my indy managed to weld something inside the thing and viola! It was out of warranty so there was no chance of Toyota replacing anything. But it didnt coat that much moolah.
    ARB ARB ARB ARB....
    Cheaper.... rock solid, more valuable, profesional instal you looking about 800 range, depending if the frame is bent or not, that could be what he was talking about ´straightening´ if your frame is bent good luck trying to find somthing under 3000...
    Another Fj80 owner I spoke to who has had an ARB fitted said it would take an hour to take off the old bumper etc and another hour to fit the new ARB - which comes in a one piece unit - two hours ample time! Assuming nothing is bent out of shape once the old bumper is off (which of course IS outta shape!) thats two hours labor or $170ish

Surely a 5 mph fender bender aint going to result in the frame being bent out of kilter? Surely the venerable Landcruiser isnt that fragile?
    it should be fine depending on where you got hit, the Landcruiser sits on a ladder H style frame which makes it very strong, but I got hit in my TLC from the rear at 10 miles and hour and it pushed my towing hitch into my spare and put a fist sized dent into the crossmember above it... The dealer said that if the towing hitch would have been pushed down then my frame would have been bent. But the front you should have nothing to worry about. And remember you must becareful about the body shops that give you horrible quotes like 3000 for a TLC fender, they are just trying to find somthing wrong so that they can rip you off... Dealers are safe bets and I have never had a problem with ARBs they are awsome.
  • zeppelin1zeppelin1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Land Cruiser. When I come to a complete stop or nearly a complete stop and let off the brakes, the brake pedal stays down and the brakes stay engaged for an extra half second or so. I doesn't happen all the time. Also, the barkes are very touchy and not smooth. It seems like some sort of delay, so when I push them down and get nothing I push a little further. Then, when the brakes do engage it is somewhat severe.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • hichic Member Posts: 8
    Get thee to a brake shop toot sweet. If your brakes are sticking open and closed it could be a master cylinder or blockage in the lines. Either way, usually only gets worse.

HiC
    TAKE you TLC to a Dealer... Brake shops will jack you around unless they are formitable or brand name (ie Midas) Dealer will gier the facts... You probably have a failing master cylinder.. This would result in the variances you have discribed, also your brake booster could be getting worng if any power, the master brake cylinder is that silver 7 inch long thing attached to a big black drum (brake booster) attached to the firewall infron of the driver. Check the fluid as well.. There is a resovoir on top of the Master Cylinder if it is low or worse empty you could be´pushing air bubles back and forth through the master cylinder, causing the intermetant brakes... Anyway take it into toyota for a diagnositc... There are many differnet things it could be like brake cylinders catching broken hose broken or faulty belt... the list goes on....
    -mike
  • dewrightdewright Member Posts: 5
    Hello. I was wondering if anyone out there knew anything about 96 or 97 Toyota Landcruisers. There is one from each model year for sale in my area, and I test drove one of them and was very impressed. The 96 has 104k on it and the 97 has 114k on it. The ride was very smooth, the wind noise on the highway was minimal, and acceleration was quite reasonable (just a few initial impressions)

Are there any particular issues with these models as they get into the 100k range? I have a 91 Corolla with 180k and have had no major problems at all -- thus I am sold on Toyota and not really concerned about either vehicle having over one hundred thousand miles. Any big "events" in the near future that I should look out for?

Thanks to anyone willing / able to help.
    I cant help you with the model year but my Fj80 1991 has about that mileage since I bought it new (which I guess is low for that age of car). The one the issue I had was really a dealer problem as the dealer took took three failed attempts to repack my birfield/steering knuckles (@80,000). I had to switch dealer and now use an Indy - others might know if later models still have the birfield repack issue.
    The later FZJ-80s had the advantage of previous modles testing the components quality, so the 97 and 96 have a great fit and finish... They were designed to go through 200,000 miles with ease... The only problem is that usualy the brutal 4,5 ltr engine has a problem with the head gasket. They tend to leak then around 120-150,000 miles they break down... But if you buy on of those trucks and get it check now you should not encounter problems... I actualy enjoyed the 4,5 ltr engine in my FZJ-80 more than my 4,7 ltr in my UZJ-100 03´ the 4,5 puts down 212 hp and around 230 or more feet pound, but that was enough power to get my TLC up and over mountain passes with the family and a full load with no stress, and boy everytime it kicked into passing gear when I was passing a Ford or Chevy i had a huge smile on my face as my truck roared by them.. I really loved the sound that my TLC put off, I like the new V-8 because of the extra power, but your rarely hear the engine, even under full throtle, it sounds like a gurgle... which is ok and gives it a tourqy sound but its not impressive like the old TLC´s...
    But as for you dewright, test drive them again.
    full throttle to 60 (should be around 10 seconds)
    Full brake from 50-0 should not lock the wheels these cars do have ABS
    standard manuvaring.
    also crank the wheel all the way left do one complete circle then do the opposite listen for knocking or unusual tire scratch. Look under the hood, the engine should be dusty but not too much with 110,000 ish miles on it.... If it is sparkling clean the owner might be trying to cover up a leak.
    Check fluids yada yada yada.. you know the drill... i hope...
  • cruiserlustcruiserlust Member Posts: 19
    Against my better judgement, I purchased a 2003 Yukon XL. Now, 1 year later my wife of all people, is pushing for a LC. (Which is of course what I wanted in the first place, in fact it's the only car I've ever REALLY wanted). The one feature in the GMC that I really love is the integrated XM radio. I swore I would never buy another car without it.
    Anyway, it is supposed to be an option on the 05 Land Cruiser, but I can't tell if it is a dealer installed option or factory.
    I have downloaded an e-brochure from toyota.com and it isn't even mentioned. I asked the salesman, but of course he talked about them putting an aftermarket unit in, which, if you're going to spend that much for a car, you really shouldn't have to go out and buy aftermarket stuff to adorn it.
    Well, I know this is minor stuff, but if I'm going to do make the leap, I'd like to have it equipped the way I want it. If it's a dealer accessory I'm guessing I could get an 04 and have the dealer put it in?
    Thanks
    XM being offered in an LC... maybe a the LX470 for 05 but im not sure about the TLC, I have an 03 and there was not even a mentioning of satilite radio... I agree that its a nice option when integrated, and maybe Toyota has somthing for the 05 but i dont think it was offered on anything below the 04´s atleast...
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I had XM radio installed in my LX470. It cost about $300. I used the Terk "XM Commander" unit, with the receiver located beneath the center (shifter) console. The control unit is located just aft of the low range shifter, and the antenna is located on the roof, just forward of the tail gate. It works great, and, in fact, we almost never listen to anything other than XM radio.
    FWIW, I ran into the GM of two Toy, and a Lexus dealership today. I asked him about next year's LC. He said that if there were going to be any major changes he would have heard about them by now. He said that as far as he knows there will continue to be an LC and LX. He does expect something with the engines next year and the usual "tweaks" here and there. This jives with what I and others were told at the various auto shows.

Will post more info if I get any =))
  • 88toylc88toylc Member Posts: 53
    My 88 TLC has about 80 thousand miles on it, and the body is in pristine condition (I bought it new and have always had it serviced on schedule at a Toyota dealer, kept it clean and in a garage when not in use). The mileage always has and continues to suck and its acceleration long grades is miserable (worse than when it was new, if that is possible). Recently, when I take it out in the morning, it falters and hesitates going up even the slightest grade until it warms up. I love this vehicle, but if I can't boost its performance I'm thinking it's about time to trade it in.

Any thoughts on what my baby might need to get rejuvinated? Would it help if I started to use premium gasoline? Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book say this vehicle is worth about $2,500, but given its great condition (aside from the problems mentioned above) this seems awfully cheap. Is the $2,500 estimate for selling this vehicle reasonable?

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Assuming you've checked some of the "obvious" things like, spark plugs, fuel filters, ignition wires, etc, switching to premium gas is at least worth a try. Or maybe you just need to drive it more? =)
    The only Landcruisers I've seen for less than $5,000, even on ebay, were junk. I don't think Edmund's is reliable in your situation. I looked at an 84 last year for $6,500 and thought it was worth it, and a 2nd owner 90 for $8995. If you do sell it in that price range, it needs to be running good, but if you get it running good, you probably won't want to sell it! What is the service history?
  • 88toylc88toylc Member Posts: 53
    I appreciate the comments on selling prices. My baby is definitely not junk -- the original paint job looks almost new; the front bumper has a small dent from when I ran into a full size Mercedes about ten years ago (the rear of the Mercedes didn't fare all that well - the old accordion action - but I just got the small dent); and the rear bumper has a small dent from when I accidentally left the car in neutral when I parked it on a slight slope and it coasted about a hundred yards into a concrete and slate wall (substantial damage to the wall, but only a small dent in my rear bumper). I have had the brake pads replaced; my radiator was replaced in 1995; the speedometer went out in the early 90s and had to be replaced, but otherwise I have had no problems requiring significant service.

I think most people who are familiar with this model of Toyota Landcruiser would say it runs well, although anyone who would like to go the 70 mph on an uphill section of the interstate or who would like to get more than 15 miles per gallon would say it is totally impractical.
    landruisers stink... I have never gotten my LC´s 94 and 03 to get above 15 and my 94 was lucky to get 12... As for the power, how many miles does your truck have on her? I belive the engine is a single cam push rod 4ltr inline six no? they were peged at 150 bhp... The prblems that these engines had were minor but enough to take power. For starters let me tell you that I had a 2000 honda accord with an I 4 posting 150 hp and it got to 60 in 7 seconds, that car weighs in arounf 2500 pounds, the LC is around 4500 for your modle year I beleive. You are not going to be amazed at the power out put, But now with lets say 150,000 miles on her she has a leaky head gasket and semi clogged throttle body and pistons that loose compression because they are wearing, Oil that is loosing pressure from the old pistons, and spark plugs and valves coated with carbon... This engine is going to need alot of cleaning to get back to a 150 out put, you can do carbon cleaning by getting cabon kits from the local auto parts store.. Dont ask me how they work but suposivly they do... consult your friendly auto parts story for more info, you can do a Throttle body cleaning if you have 2 cents in mechanical know how, using a tooth brush, and disconection the Air Intake from the TB then cleaning what you can, as for the pistons, cylinders, head gasket and the cam, there not alot you can do... Maybe a new cam, Im not sure if there is a cold air Intake avalible for your TLC but ther eis for mine and they make starting easier and tourqe is easier for the engine to achive if the Air intake is less restrictive. Thats All i can do for you now... comon every body lets help him out...
    If you trade it in, look for a 1993-1996 TLC they have the revised 4.5 ltr DOHC 212hp engine that I enjoy alot! you can get these for around 11-22,000 in good condition, price varys due to options.
    hope this helps!
    -mike
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    The original poster's truck only has 80k miles (per his first message) and shouldn't have all these issues. But then again, the truck has not been used much and this lack of regular use creates its own issues. My recommendation to the owner is to go to a good mechanic and get this puppy fixed. It is an excellent truck and the selling price will just not do justice to its true worth. Fixing it is better than buying another used car/truck and taking on someone else's headache.
    Where do you live? Sleeoffroad and Man-a-fre are both TLC specialists. It might be worth taking it to one of them or at least calling them for suggestions.
  • snappy1snappy1 Member Posts: 2
    I have been looking for an 05 LC. I have been to one dealer and asked for a trade in value for my 01 LC. It is very clean and has never been in an accident. It has all the goodies in it. The only downside is that the mileage is high (117,000). The dealer in NJ offered $10,000 on a trade and 3,000 - 4,000 off MSRP. I have checked every on-line book value that I could find and the lowest value that I could find is in the low $20's. Am I missing something? I sure could use some feedback. Thanks.