Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    Just saw a link from a 4x4 magazine from Austrailia on the new LC. It is an artist's rendition like the one that's been floated on this site already, due in 2007. Will have V-8 with VVTi.

Will try to post the link later (I need to get permission) There's some narrative with the pictures. Says same live rear axle/IFS set up as the current LC. And it will have its own chassis
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Same as this?

2006 Toyota FJ Midsize SUV

If it's on the net I don't think you need permission to post the links elsewhere, although I guess someone somewhere is suing about this issue, especially deep linking; copying copyright text/pics would be another story.

Steve, Host
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    No, saw the same post on ih8mud.com. The new LC or 130 series is purportedly based on the F-concept platform, a platform that will also produce the next LX470/550, Tundra and Sequoia. Toyota will supposedly offer a diesel engine as well as several V-8 offerings. The only pictures are artist interpretations at this point. Such interpretations heavily favor the FTX concept from a couple of years ago.
    This far out, you may get closer interpretations by asking for submissions in the Amateur Redesign Studio topic. Not that you LC fans want any changes (except the diesel?).

Steve, Host
    Steve, it's not the FJ per your post. It's as FF4L noted. It's posted on a private web page and scanned in from the Austrailian 4x4 magazine. Engine options are also as FF4L has noted. Since the web page has identifying info and personal contact data as well, I'm reluctant to post it here.

The artist drawings shown indicate smooth flat sides, with no "break" at the beltline. I think someone on here who had seen the pictures commented that it has a bit of a Durango look to it. Hmmmm
  • pgillpgill Member Posts: 84
    Has anyone installed 16" rims on 2003 or 2004 LC? I am thinking of using 16" rims from 1998 - 2002 LC with winter tires and was wondering if this is possible. Someone mentioned that they may have upgraded the rotors and calipers for 2003+ LC and 16" rims may not fit. Does anyone know for sure?
    Take it you are dealing with 18" rims, Pgill? I think that I read that the braking system was mechanically the same from 1998-2005 with same part numbers, but to your question, I have not read of anyone having switched from 18s to 16s. Hopefully, someone can shed some definitive light.

Surely, the tire mfgs will continue to evolve and start offering better mud/snow options for 18s. I do know that Nitto offers a 285/60/18 in their terra grappler (sp) series, which is a regarded brand.
  • tlcmantlcman Member Posts: 220
    look back in this thread we have already had a long discussion on tyre sizes and whats a good plan of action. Also Austrailia and the majority of the world has always had diesels including te excelent turbo 4.2 straight 6 from Austrailia, they just have never been imported.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    Just picked up this link from another site.

http://www.pbase.com/drexx/land_cruiser_news&page=all

No special mention of new engine on LC though it is mentioned the Lexus badged rig will likely have a 5.5 liter engine.

Based on this, the upcoming FJ Cruiser will be the junior cruiser and this 130 series the senior one. Not too shabby I must say. Let's just hope that they bless us with the diesel engine WITH manual tranny. Wouldn't that be sweet !!
  • seattlecruiserseattlecruiser Member Posts: 45
    Looks like I'll be keeping my 100 series for a loooong time. ;)
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I think I'll get the last of the 100s before it gets bastardised by the Tundra/Sequoia.
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    The flares on the Fj80 are supposed to be a snap to remove and be replaced - they are made of glassfibre so that they can easily be repaired and put back. But how easy is it in fact to remove them? Anyone with experience?
    BTW it is my intention to take them to a boatyard for repair - body shops arent up to glassfibre repair work and too expensive anyway.
  • safarimobilesafarimobile Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at purchasing a '03 LC, but I'm a little hesitant with the tow-ability. I have a 22 ft Weekend Warrior travel trailer, that weighs around 6k lbs. I know that the tow ratings on the LC's are 6.5k, but wanted to know how it does in reality. Does anyone do any heavy towing with their LC's and how do they handle large trailers?
  • tqntqn Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Wanted to know if any other LC owners have encountered a very loud fluttering noise at driving speeds above 75 mph, similar to noise of a driving with a blown tire. I can't give a better analogy, but it is very loud. I don't know where the noise is coming from. I am not sure it is engine related since the engine light is not on. I recently had a terrible repair service experience with my 4-Runner at a local dealership, so I want to do a bit of research before I take my LC in for service. Any comment would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    TQN
    What year is your LC? And why do you want to drive it that fast anyway =)
    Year 1999. It is rarely driven that fast, and the noise does not always exist at beyond that speed. Nonetheless it is a problem and I do want to get it fixed. Thanks
    Do you by chance have a window open - or the moonroof? If so, that could be it.
    Do you feel this noise to come from the drivetrain or is the tires ? Did you recently change the tire brand ? Does it matter what road surface you are on (paved clean v/s not so clean) ? You will have to do a better job with the description or else you will get these pun-in-cheek responses.
    The noise comes from driving on the freeway at higher speeds. No changes have been made to the LC, no new tires, nothing that I can think of to create the noise. I first thought it was the moonroof or the windows, but now it does not appear to be so. I can not pinpoint where the noise comes from, but it does not come from the tires. The noise is so loud that I can not specify to a particular part of the vehicle. It last for a few seconds and then goes away. The engine drives normally without any noticeable differences. I would like to offer more precise descriptions, but I don't know how else to describe this problem.
  • bulletheadbullethead Member Posts: 40
    The wife was driving my 2000 (48k miles) TLC last week - it had snowed all day and she was driving on a 30mph road, having just left her office. The TLC was still warming up, the lights and heater and radio, etc, were all on. When she stopped at a light just a few 100 yds from her parking lot, when the light turned green, she attempted to go forward, but the truck just sat there... The engine was running, but all of the VSC / TC / ABS and associated warning lights (check engine, etc) were on. She was able to get the thing off the road and into a parking lot. I told her to turn it off, restart the car, and move the shift lever from park to R-to-D and back again. She did that and then tried to move - sure enough, she was again moving as normal. When I got home, I went out to the truck which was now somewhat cold and started it up - sure enough all of the warning lights were on. I turned it off, raised the hood and checked the fluids, just to see if maybe the oil or brake fluids were off - nothing was missing or in need of replacement. When I got back in and started it up - all of the lights were off and so far (approx 6 days) we have had no further problems. BTW, I had this exact same thing happen to me approx 2 yrs ago under similar circumstances when pulling out of the garage. The vehicle is my daily driver - never off-roaded nor has it ever towed anything - hell, it has never been on trip longer the 500 miles - any idea as to what happened and what my next steps should be.
  • tlcmantlcman Member Posts: 220
    sounds like a bad TPS sensor, take it in to your toy dealership and try to replicate it and tell them what happens. The TPS sensor is the TRottle Possition sensor and is known to fail in extream cold for 2002 and before, what it does when it fails is drops the engine to idle even if the throttle is to the floor. its nto a drive by wire design. Im pretty sure its covered by toyota now, but it wasnt a while back. Just take it in and have them run a diagnostic and check the TPS and all of the safty systems. its possible there could be a glitch in the hardware.
    So nobody has flare problems? So no real offroaders driving LC's anymore! :(:(
  • 98cruiser98cruiser Member Posts: 6
    Hmmmm,...sounds like it COULD BE your 'throttle position sensor'. I had a similar experience. The part cost ~$250 from Toyota. Repaired under warranty.
  • tinstins Member Posts: 7
    Sadly, I am having to part with my 2001 Land Cruiser (my 2nd one in 9 years). Was wondering if I could solicit the Forum's input in helping me set a reasonable sales price for it.

Details :

1. 2001 Land Cruiser 4WD 4DR / 56,800 miles (purchased 7/01).
    2. Exterior : River rock green mica; Interior : Tan Leather
    3. Equipment : Loaded - including auto sunroof, 6 disc CD, 3rd row seating, NAV system, trailer hitch rig, etc.
    4. Condition : Between Edmunds class Clean and Outstanding (no mechanical problems ever, no exterior or interior damage; documented maintenance; new tires; "usual" 56k mi wear and tear things.
    5. Sale reason : moved to SoCal from Pacific Northwest recently and need to downsize + time to help 17 year old son buy his first car.

I have done all the third party assessments (Edmunds, etc.) and would like to solicit Forum input. A Volvo forum was of immense recent help to my wife in helping her set a "reasonable" price for her 99 Volvo V70R -- and she got full price from 1st person looking at it !

Thanks everyone, in advance, for your help.

Tins
    The pros hang out (mostly) in Real-World Trade-In Values, so try in there.

Steve, Host
  • tinstins Member Posts: 7
    Steve :

Thanks for the info. I'm new to the Forum and didn't know there was a discussion of this type.

Tins
    Heh, we have discussions here that I've never heard of. :-)

Welcome to Edmunds and good luck shopping.

Steve, Host
  • bulletheadbullethead Member Posts: 40
    Many thanks to those of you that offered up a possible reason for the TLC problem I have - I've tried to stay away from the dealer for service, but looks like I'll take you advice and vist them for this issue.

Thanks again,

BH
  • macqmanmacqman Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,
    I am a new member from Newcastle, Australia. I have a '94 TLC and i am have been very happy with it. The time has come to consider another vehicle and have looked at a 100 series TLC. I did not like the IFS, no option for a solid front axle. Does anybody have an idea what front suspension the TLC 120 will have, please? All the dealers will say is that they have heard rumours about a new TLC.
    Most newer models tend to be biased towards on-road rather than off-road. My money is on the 120 having the IFS. However, you Aussies seem to get goodies which we don't have in North America so maybe the will make a 125 for you, like the 105.

Why don't you get the 105 series with the Solid front axle. I saw some pictures online and it's fairly basic.
  • zeeman2zeeman2 Member Posts: 1
    Man I have a toyota 4runner and it makes the same kind of noise from somewhere in the dash board......any idea what the hell it is ?? Sound like something's vibrating when the car goes over 55 60 miles. Please let me know as i'm too scared to go to a mechnaic only to see a big fat bill....any help will be greatly appreciated......thanks

zee
    I have a question (as an owner of a '91 Fj80 owner in the US) - how many miles have you put on your '94 TLC and what were the major service problems/costs and at what mileage - thats if there were any? I intend to keep mine even as a third vehicle so I am interested in whats down the pike cost-wise. Thanks in advance.
  • wokirbywokirby Member Posts: 2
    Hello - I'm a new user so forgive me if i've interupted an existing discussion. I last week lost my '96 LC to an oncoming driver with a blow-out. (I put 230k on it so I can offer input on that model) I plan to purchase a newer model and the '99 (with around 100k or so) fits my budget & needs. Would appreciate any input as to issues with this model or options to look for, such as optional differential locking, etc.
    Thanks
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    Tell us about what you were hit by, at what speed and what the damage to the two vehicles was. I hope noone was hurt. Did your airbags go off? Did you roll over?

There is very little objective info about LC crashes out there, so anecdotal information is useful.
  • wokirbywokirby Member Posts: 2
    no serious injuries to 4 occupants in other car (dodge sebring). only a sore ankle here. fortunately the point of impact was driverside front corner for both vehicles. the impact spun the dodge in a circle which probably lessened the blow. the lc continued in a straight line (basically plowed through the impact and never changed course)to a stop with the wheel folded somewhat up under the driver side. i usually take that curve at around 45. the other car seemed to be coming faster. the dodge suffered a demolished front end (driver side) as did the lc. i believe i was fortunate to be in the lc given the angle and speed of impact. yes the air bags inflated. i experienced no air bag abraision or powder as in stories i'd heard. conditions were'nt right for any rollovers, and given the stability (as opposed to the typical sloppy suv susp.)of the lc suspension i feel it would require a lot to roll one.
  • toyodortoyodor Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 05 Sequoia and have the smell. I've taken it in 3 times. 1st they said it takes 7500 miles to break in the catalytic conv. 2nd time they said it was the gas and I should try other brands. Today they said to burn premium. All BS. I believe Toyota is not going to correct this until the inevitable class action suit.
    I am setting up a website on this this weekend. Also, I am ordering some lead acetate strips to hang in the cabin. I don't think it is healthy to breathe this.
    Regards,
    Keith
    I wouldn't waste your time. Have had the sulphur smell for 90K miles on my '01 Sequoia. Definitely the cat converter and the way it burns off fuel to be ULEV compliant. I thought there was a campaign (TSB) in the last year to switch out the cat converters, but I did not participate. This is also not specific to the Sequoia, many Toyota vehicles have the same issue and I have smelled the odor behind many non-Toyota vehicles on the road.
    Is there anyone in california state with this sulphur smell issue ? I believe it is gas related and some states have higher amount of sulphur in gas. This issue has been heavily debated in other toytoa forums like 4runner.
    More here, and not limited to the '03 4Runner:

Sulfur from 2003 4Runner

Steve, Host
  • bkjacksonbkjackson Member Posts: 4
    Here's one for the experts. I am deciding between an '03 Land Cruiser, loaded w/ navigation, 28K miles for about $43K or an '05 Sequoia Limited, loaded for about the same amount? Is it just a luxury difference or just a little bigger ride in the Sequoia?

bkjackson
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    Dealer source reveals the LC and LX due for increased HP VVTI engine in June 05.
    Great news !!. I have been waiting for this. Since I sold my ML320, I have been in the market for LC. Since I had to deal with this winter's snow, I picked up a used 2000 RAV4 AWD. I never thought I would own one of these cute utes, but I got to say, it is a handy thing to have in New York City. It handles good it the snow and gives about 26 MPG mixed driving. I may hold onto it as a second car after I get the LC. I liked the 2006 Jeep Commander too. You can see it at the NY Auto Show.
  • shutoutshutout Member Posts: 5
    I have the exact same problem on my 2002 Land Cruiser. Not only is the coating worn off in the location as you indicated, but is also worn off in the spot for the climate control fan (first box on left of display) I am bringing it to the dealer and will keep you posted
  • shutoutshutout Member Posts: 5
    I was in the same position when I purchased a new 2002 Land Cruiser. I was looking at both a new 2002 Land Cruiser and a new 2002 Sequoia. I test drove both and there is a huge difference in the ride. The Sequoia is built on a Tundra truck chassis and is built in the U.S. The ride feels like a truck and the craftsmanship is not as good as the Land Cruiser. The Land Cruiser ride is quiet and smooth. Additionally, the Land Cruiser is built in Japan and is extremely well made and has a proven history since they arrived in 1957. This may explain the big price difference. The Land Cruiser will also hold its value better. Go for the Cruiser!!
    Its my understanding that the main reason for the price differential is the 25% (?) import duty or tax on passenger SUVs/trucks of this size. I am sure others have more details on that...
  • bkjacksonbkjackson Member Posts: 4
    I appreciate the feedback. It's a tough call for me because I have a 10 year old SUV with 240K miles so anything I drive feels tons better than what I have now. It's hard to be objective between two awesome vehicles. Any more info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bkj
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    We have a '01 TLC. Celebrating its 4th anniversary with 115, 000 miles...and no problems other than a squeaky serpentine belt pulley bearing. We too shopped the Sequoia vs the TLC. The Sequoia, while excellent, is not in the same league as the TLC. It may be larger yet cost less than a TLC, but driving dynamics alone make the TLC worth the extra money. And then there's the extraordinary build quality of the TLC.

After walking the NY Auto Show this past week, my sons and I went out for a few test drives on vehicles that interested us. Know what? We're spoiled...we won't give up our TLC. Except for maybe a LX470.
    I have similar mileage on a '91......I just wonder how you can get that many miles in 4 years......
    If I was to buy an SUV now I would get the Sequoia for reasons of affordabilty - it is after all a cousin of the LC. But I am keeping mine and not getting anything like an X5 which I regard as a pseudo LC..................
  • steenh1steenh1 Member Posts: 28
    I had an Expedition until 2yrs ago and had the same dilemna... New Sequoia or Used LC. (definately was not going to be another Expo) After a couple of test drives, I made what I think was the easy choice to go with a 99 LC for a lot less than a new Sequoia, and it drives MUCH nicer even with 100k miles. I liked it so much that I bought a 97 to round out the garage... love them both and not a single problem other than a bad "CAM sensor" on the 99. Ended up with two used LC's for the price of one new Sequoia and they will both last longer than I'll probably want to own them.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    There have been a lot of posts over the years comparing the cost/benefits of a used TLC with some miles vs. a new Sequoia. Various factors like resale, quality, etc. are mentioned as determinants of the decision.

But maybe the real variable is the bling/bling factor. Look in your closet: do you have one pair of New Balance running shoes or two Nikes? Look at your wrist: would you see a Rolex in terms of a fine watch or jewelry? When you buy a battery for a car you are going to dump two years do you go for the Interstate Megatron or just an Interstate with a 3 year warranty? Do you still run synthetic in the car even though it's end is 24 months away?