Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Thanks, Steel. This waiting game is getting very tiresome. I am on the verge of going ahead and ordering a 2006 once production starts, but will probably hold out for a little more solid info as you suggest. You are probably right about 2007 being the next generation LC since that will also mark the 50th anniversary of the LC, I believe. Of course, the last year of the 80 series was 1997, which happened to be the 40th anniversary, so go figure. All I know is a Sequoia-based LC (US version), while making since for Toy from a $ perspective, will be a huge disappointment.
  • 3rdgin3rdgin Member Posts: 22
    I have been debating on what type of vehicle I am going to buy next. Narrowed down to three choices so far. The Land Cruiser, Land Rover LR3 and the new Jeep Commander. I have to have a vehicle that seats at least 7, smaller than what I am currently driving (Expy), and has some nice luxury appointments. Not long ago, I was sold on the LR3 but they seem to be having a fair share of problems. I liked the layout but for the price, it's not up to speed with the LC.

Any advice?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Toyota or Lexus Landcruiser! :)
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    FF4L. I just checked out the 2006 Lexus link. It has all the specs for the LX470 updates. I too am taking a hard look at getting an oh six. Which is probably exactly what Toy wants me (and you?) to do =) Then, when the new one comes out will be kicking ourselves for not waiting for the new model?

In the back of my mind, I just can't imagine Toy opting out of the luxury SUV market and re-badging a Sequoia. There I go agian letting my emotions getting the better of me.

As you say, this waiting game is getting tiresome and I'm focusing way too much on what Toy's going to do :confuse:
    Steel - I've been waiting ever since I chickened out in 2001 and bought my SR5 Sequoia - have been lamenting ever since. With 95K miles, I am definitely at a crossroad. My current thought is to go ahead and get the oh six and consider a hybrid LC down the road once the bugs are worked out. Based on limited information available and the supposed spy shots (artist renditions) of the 130 series or whatever it ends up being are far from what I have in mind as my next vehicle. Basically anything remotely resembling the FTX concept truck ("F platform") is going to be disappointing.
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    Here are the details spelled out in your previous posting on an official Toyota site. All correct.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id=20050520

:P
    FF4L. I'm pretty much thinking of doing the same thing--getting an '06 and seeing what develops down the line. Then again, I'm thinking maybe I should just keep my '02--I hate the new car neurosis! :confuse:

Hey, you want a low mileage, clean '02?
  • jesterg42jesterg42 Member Posts: 1
    When the weather is warm I get an annoying rattle inside the front passenger door panel. I am trying to remove the panel to see if anything is loose. I have removed the screw inside the door pull, the 2 screws under the covers on the top front edge, and the 4 screws across the bottom of the panel.
    It looks like the last thing holding the panel on is a "catch" on the front edge and 2 on the back. They seem spring loaded. I can pull them part way out, but can not get them all of the way out.
    How do I complete the process to remove the door panel?

Thanks
    -Jess
  • bigmtnsnwbrdrbigmtnsnwbrdr Member Posts: 4
    Current Situation: Being in a market research specialty for the destination resort industry, I'm reviewing the '97 40th Anniversary Edition. Currently, I have a '99 30th Anniversary Subaru Legacy. Suprisingly it has been a beast in 4 foot snow dumps around Mammoth, CA. I have a 14 month old 140 lb great dane. He has completely grown out the little Subaru huh huh.

Being price concious, all my research is pointing towards the 97 TLC. Here's what I know: JD Power has a really high 9.1 rating for this particular model/yr. I don't care about mpg being in a ski town. I heard about the cup holder thing. I know we can sleep a 6 footer & dog car camping in back for the weekend. Any price sensitive GPS recommendations? I'm willing to fly anywhere for a great deal knowing the prices greatly fluctuates across the country. I've been reviewing: Autotrader, Carsdirect, Edmunds & Cars.com

What other questions should I be asking? What else am I missing? What other websites provide insight? Can it really handle snow storms? How's the towing? Do you think the 40th Anniversary Edition is going to hold it's value in the future? I do

There's the challenge.. I'd love to hear your collaborative thoughts
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I debated with the LR3 and Commander. Finally ended up getting a 2002 TLC used. I will wait untill the second or their year of the next model before I upgrade. I avoid the first model year for any vehicle. Almost always has issues that need to be sorted out.

Landrovers depreciate like a rock. Look up some of the 3 year old models on sale and you'll see what I mean. If you are leasing an LR3 it's okay I guess, cause you can turn it into the dealer.
    I put app 60k miles on that model year. It was absolutely flawless. It had a lot of little high end stuff that I personally could have give or taken on it. But that model year pretty much came with all the trimmings, except the diff option. The brakes still had the FJZ80 moniker, so it tended to go through brake pads faster than say the FJ60. I have heard as little as 8000 miles to a high of app 40k. Mine had app 60k when I sold it, so I am guessing mine was an anomoly. I ran it a few seasons in higher altitude snow conditions CA/NV area: South and North Lake Tahoe, Reno. This past season was the greatest snow fall in recent record and my 96 TLC (virtually identical) got me through no problem no skid, no ABS functioning, etc etc.

In terms of the Anniversary hold its value issue, in my mind the anniversary moniker is cosmetic. So at most you are talking of a 1000 premium. But as you are probably aware, TLC's tend to depreciate the least. So if you are able to get a used one at a pretty good price, you should reap the lower depreciation %, starting in the 8th year or 2005. I had one new FJ60 for 14 years and 250,000 miles and experienced a 3.125% yearly depreciation. I think for the 97 TLC more like 4-7% yearl depreciation
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    I think for the 97 TLC more like 4-7% yearl depreciation

While that was the case in the past, I would suspect that high gas prices now and in the forseeable future are going to produce a greater supply of used LCs and much less demand. Every cloud has a silver lining - the good news is that you should be able to pick a used one up much cheaper to start with................
  • bigmtnsnwbrdrbigmtnsnwbrdr Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the insight. Sampson Momma & I are leaning more towards Mt. Bachelor this upcoming season. It's nice to to hear the snow comments too. It seems Florida is the place to pick one up right now. There's an $8000 spread for apples to apples models. It's worth the flight. I'm going to car camp the whole way back too. I wish I could bring the Sampsonator.

Has anyone heard of historical problems with the AC?

My Subaru Air Conditioning just crashed and I'm in Phoenix where it's 110 degrees. Looks like I'll be searching for the right one sooner than later. Thanks bro's
    I have to say that the AC is the one thing that doesnt function in my Fj80 - but the car was 10 years old when the thing seized up. Its a $1,200+ fix so I have survived without AC for a while now. BTW AC is important in the winter as well owing to condensation problems in cold weather. But when I had a Volvo 760 the AC broke (after only 7+ years - just outta warranty!) so I dont think its a Toyota specific problem.
  • ravick1ravick1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently replaced the original transmission on my 2000 LC with a Toyota certified rebuilt transmission. Ever since then, I hear a very audible clunk/thud when shifting from drive to reverse and vice versa. Not only can I hear this, I can also feel it. I also noticed that when I'm bringing the vehicle to a gradual stop, such as at a red light, I can hear the same clunk when the tranny down shifts just before I come to a complete stop. Another abnormal symptom is that when trying to accelerate suddenly, the transmission hesitates slightly before it pick up.

The dealer that did the replacement has run all the available diagnostics and keep telling me that the transmission is in perfect working order. They have also checked the engine and tranny mounts, u-joints, drive shaft alignment etc and even pulled out the drive shafts and re-greased them. None of this has helped the situation any.

Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.
  • coloradolccoloradolc Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I bought a 97 LC about 2 months ago--when I could still go skiing--and have driven this car in a range of conditions. I am probably an anomaly, but this car was chosen as a strong 4x4 / fun car. I drove its predecessor (an 02 Jeep) about 3K per year and will drive this thing maybe 5K. This vehicle is fantastic! Granted, I chose very carefully and looked it over carefully, but these cars are so well engineered and built. I have never seen a vehicle with such good build quality and I am a bit picky about this stuff. We have emissions tests here and my 97 was close to new car standards--the guys at the testing place were amazed. I am simply floored at how well built this vehicle is. For anyone looking for a car that is fun to drive and works well in ALL conditions and who wants to go offroad, this car is hard to beat if you want a fullsize vehicle.
    I compared my smog results from 14 year old and 10 year old TLC's 1987 and 1994. The 1987 was very close to new car standards. The 1994 (done in 2004) was virtually identical to new car standards.
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    My D light is burnt out on the dash of my 2000 LC. Any tips/suggestions on replacing the bulb?
  • v7sportv7sport Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new remote to replace my old cracked/dammaged/seen better days remote and need to program it. Does anyone have the procedure? It's a 97 with a two button remote? The dealer wanted 45.00! I know its got to be easy. This is my first post. I have a lot more questons regarding how to set it up better for the dirt I'll ask later. Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Toyota USA says its new 2006 Land Cruiser flagship SUV will arrive at dealerships in June with a $56,380 price tag, including a $565 destination charge."

Inside Line

Steve, Host
    The 2006 Land Cruiser gets a new optional rear spoiler. Can they be serious???
    The LC driver must have changed over the years.....
    It's probably going to be the same spoiler that the LX470 has right now.... but I think that the avaliable adjustment suspension will be more popular.
  • shutoutshutout Member Posts: 5
    The dealer did the same thing and disassembled the dash and put foam strips in various locations and then reassembled the dash. So far, so good. I think alot of the rattling was weather related and it was noticeable during our rainy and cold weather season here in Southern California. Now that things are warming up, I don't hear the rattle anymore. Enjoy your new Cruiser!
  • robertsbradrobertsbrad Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    We love our 96' TLC. But the brakes! Every 15,000 miles or so--or $900 every 8 months! I am thinking I ought to try replacing the pads myself. How big of a job is that? Special tools? Is the Toyota repair manual the best--or is there an aftermarket 'How to' that is better?
    Thanks.
  • twisterchasertwisterchaser Member Posts: 26
    After reading countless postings regarding the 2001 Land Cruiser JBL excessive bass issue, I would like to know how is the best way to handle a complaint like this. I tested the water on this with my local Toyota dealership and didn't get anywhere. Any help on this, including the TSB # would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks ...
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Not to rain on your parade, but when I read thru the lines I sense that you are very price conscious and maybe don't have a lot of cash, but need good winter traction and some room for the mutt. IMHO a '97 TLC is probably the last car to buy. Especially on a fly-in visit to FL. The absolute last. Why? It's simple: along with the high mileage inevitable in a 8 year old car comes maintenance. Problem is the TLC has very high maintenance costs (didn't someone post a thread a year back that a starter motor was 1K? Yes, you will be buying a starter for your '97). Yours could well need another set of skins. Figure maybe $600 mounted, balanced with new stems. Brakes?? Air Con work?? You might drop 5K in service just trying to get out of FL.

Look at a used '01 Volvo V70 FWD wagon. This is the first year of the current body style. So it is contemporary. Or, find an '00 and bargain hard because it is NOT the current body style. Pop on some dedicated winter tires (e.g., Bridgestone Blizzaks) on dedicated cheap pressed steel wheels from the Tire Rack and you will get the traction of an AWD Volvo XC without paying the price of AWD in initial purchase or diminished gas mileage. Everything will be less money than the TLC: tires, brakes, service, etc. etc. You might actually enjoy the Volvo service experience rather than have to put up with a high volume Toyota service department who work on one TLC every month or so. (You did read the cover article in Baron's last fall about how Toyota stores now have customer satisfaction levels approaching urban Chevy stores? That's not exactly where I want to take my car, with or without an attack dog!).

Can't stand Volvos? Want to save some more money but still want that import feeling? Buy a late model SAAB 9-5 wagon with the 4 cylinder non-turbo engine and the stick shift. The resale on this option set is lower than the visibility in an apres ski bar. Thats good news for you. More good news: ski towns have good indie SAAB repair people.

Leave the very used TLCs to people who actually enjoy bonding with their cars up on a lift, use it as a life style statement while in grad school, and/or have three cars in the family.
  • bigbad40anvtlcbigbad40anvtlc Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a pristinet anniversary model off Ebay for 12k, the truck has 125k miles, diff locks, avery option except the 6 disk changer. I flew in and drove it back 1000 miles, but it smoked every deal that I had seen. I'm also thrilled with the truck! Good luck - the 40 aniv. cruiser is all the luxury anyone needs.
  • steenh1steenh1 Member Posts: 28
    One thing to keep in mind is that the 97 cruisers were built to last so if it's been a year since you saw a post on the price of a starter, maybe they don't need replacing that often? Yours in the first post I've seen that talked about the high costs of maintaining an LC... and the first touting the superb build quality of the Volvo/Ford.

I own two LC's... 97 and 99 both over 100k miles. Brakes on each are over 30k miles and still going strong... have not replaced any components or had any major repairs on either. They both drive better than my Ford Expo did at 50k miles.

Maybe I'm the exception, but based on what I read here, I think I'm in the majority.

I think my 3rd car just might be an FJ Cruiser? If only saab built an SUV!
  • seattlecruiserseattlecruiser Member Posts: 45
    Well, let me chime in as an owner of both a Volvo (1999 S70) and an LC (2000). I stopped buying new cars after realizing that I never keep them long enough to justify the initial depreciation.

Bought the Volvo in 2002, 43k. I now have 63k and have not had a single repair. 60k service was just under $500k. Other than that, oil changes were all I ever had to do. This is my day-to-day around town and commuting workhorse. 25 MPG city/highway mix.

Bought the Cruiser last August, 61k. It's now at 69k (it's our third car plus motorcycle, so it doesn't get used too much except for longer trips). Rear brakes needed replacing, Toyota's quote was ridiculous. Went to Midas, would have cost $150 were it not for a stuck caliper. Ended up costing $500. Needed new tires in the winter, $750. Brought it in for 70k service at 68k, which should have been $90. I had noticed gas mileage and performance had dropped during the winter and asked them to check into it. They said the fuel injectors needed cleaning, they were dirty beyond what Techron can fix. $750 by the time everything was said and done. Gas mileage (and general performance) did improve back to a whopping 16-17 MPG.

I know, all maintenance stuff, all to be expected, and as my wife says when I ask her about the noticeably lower gas mileage whenever she drives it: "If you want me to drive like a pantsy then you should have bought a Prius, not a V8". My point is simply that this is an expensive vehicle to maintain, and if there is a repair then it gets really ugly. Don't get me wrong, I love this truck, I love the way it drives, the look, the comfort, everything. The best car I've ever owned. But it is neither the most cost-effective, nor is it the most practical. It's great if you can afford it, especially if you have another one (or two) in the garage for your everyday errands.

Just my 2 cents.
    Nice post, seattlecruiser. In the interests of full disclosure, our 2001 XC was also bought with some miles on the clock. Unfortunately, it has not been as troublefree as your S70 (e.g., we needed a new tranny at 46K, a new electronic throttle module at 55K, new McPherson struts at 43K, brakes for $1000, etc.). Except for the brakes it was all under warranty--the $1200 ETM is covered up to 60K under state law.

Will this be a less expensive vehicle to own for the next 60K than a TLC? I'm betting yes.
  • seattlecruiserseattlecruiser Member Posts: 45
    I suppose that's always the problem when using a study with a sample of one. :-)

I know there are a lot of people out there with no problems with their LC, and I would even count myself in that category. Everything I have experienced is either normal wear and tear or in the "not Toyota's fault" category. Can't blame the truck to need new tires and brake pads, and using bad gasoline probably caused the dirty injectors. Nevertheless, when driving a $50k vehicle, everything is more expensive, from replacement parts to regular maintenance. Same was true for my Mercedes M-Class. That is compensated for by (theoretically) requiring fewer repairs than lower priced cars. In the end, I think it's somewhat of a wash, but in the unlikely event that something major breaks in your premium vehicle you're screwed.
  • curious54curious54 Member Posts: 47
    I have a 2004 LC..love it to death....I just got back from a camping trip towing a travel trailer and was just wondering if i should flush out my tranny oil. I never drained it or flushed it out so do i need to do so.
    #4518. The amount you're posting $900 is surely for more than pads? RU replacing your rotors too? Suggest you switch to TRD pads. A little harder compound and longer life. I got nearly 50K out of them on my '94. A couple of thoughts: (1) the LC is a heavy vehicle and the brake bias is more toward the front than the rear brakes and that's where most of the weight is (2) try anticipating your need to stop. Don't know where you live, or the type of driving you do, but if you live in the mountains or do a lot of stop and go driving, well I'd say you're doing good to get 15K. As for changing the pads, it's not too difficult at all. You might "google" to see if you're near a LC club chapter and I'm sure you'll be able to find some one to run you through changing the pads if you are concerned about trying it yourself. The LC shop manual is good, albeit pricey. You might be able to find one on e-Bay or maybe your public library?

#4526 You can check the fluid via the dip stick and see how dirty it is. A cheap "flush" is to drain and refill the pan every third oil change--which is something you can easily do yourself--at about 10,000 miles or so.
    Well... any upgrade pad is better then stock. I use the pro cermic brake pads (~$80) but they're worth it. I had my first brake replacement at around 20k, and I'm up to 50K now on the same pads. These also grip better then the stock ones too. You stop faster, and with brake force distribution, ware is fairly equal at all four corners. Also, if you don't slow down as much, you not only save some life on your brake pads, but you also save gas. That excuse won't win you any court cases, but as long as you don't slow down, you don't have to burn more fuel to speed up.
    What do you TLC gurus think is the most desireable model year to look for in a late model (say '95 on up) TLC? The model year that has the best combination of features without decontenting or needlesssly complicated additions, etc? Any idea how many miles you expect out of a TLC tranny if not used for towing? Who makes the tranny?

Incidentally, speaking of "upgraded" disc brake pads, I've been told that sure, severe duty pads last longer but at the expense of grinding away the rotors. As a result, this may not be a good idea given the cost of pads vs. rotors.
    If you like the newer body style, then any model after '98. If you're shopping for a LC with the nav, then I think that it was an option starting in 01. All other options except for the third row have been the same since atleast 2000 (third row is standard now). As for tranny life, over 100k atleast, but I'm not sure who makes it. The who vehical is assembled in japan though, so I would think that it's a japanese maker, if not toyota itself.

In terms of the pads grinding away the roters faster, I havn't notice any more ware then normal. I've got the upgraded pads on both of my camry's and the LC, and as fare as I know, the ware's been normal. but if I'm wrong.....there goes another $800.
  • dubesdubes Member Posts: 1
    One alternative that has worked for us is to use our local Pep Boys for brakes. They have a 24 month / (I believe 20K mile) warranty on their labor and a lifetime warranty on their pads. I've been doing this for a couple of years with our 94 Land Cruiser which now has over 230K miles on it. Every 10K miles or so we're back at Pep Boys for brakes. So every other brake job is essentially free and when we do pay it's about $90 for labor. Their pads don't squeek and the brakes have held up well. I've also started doing this for our other vehicles but since their brakes last over 20K miles the warranty doesn't apply. I also use them for other light maintenance and have generally been pleased.
  • genewgenew Member Posts: 1
    I have a '96 LX 450 with 125K. I really like it but have a problem with the check engine light. I have tried a fuel additive, Chevron, numerous times as suggested on this site. The light goes out but has always returned. The light comes on indicating that the catalytic converter is not functioning properly.

What are the consequences of NOT replacing the converter? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    I just had an "Emissions Test" as required my my state - my 1991 Fj80 (120,000) wasn't even close to any of the environmental test limits. Whew, as the Cat Convertors are an expensive replacement. I thought that this might be an interesting data point for others.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'd have my car checked by my dealer or a good mechanic. It may be something as simple as a faulty sensor or switch and their diagnostics should be able to pinpoint the problem.

tidester, host
    Here is some interesting data, pulled tonight from Edmunds for Model Year 2000 TLC, EB Edition Explorer, and Disco Series II.

Trade in value Private Party Sale Dealer Retail

TLC: $20,500 $23,000 $25,500

Disco II: $11,000 $12,600 $14,300

EB Exploder: $ 7,900 $9,500 $10,900

Gee, someone could buy a Disco or an Exploder, have a dealer install a factory remanufactured engine and transmission, totally rebuild the front suspension (struts, control arms, etc.), install new brakes, rebuild some of the engine accessories (starter, alternator, etc.) and put on four new skins and still be dollars ahead.
    yea, but a new TLC back in 2000 was ~10k over the disco 2 and ~20k over the EB explorer. Also, the explore was the old body style, so it was smaller and didn't have seating for 8. The disco has more abalities, but it's also smaller. And to have a remanufactured engine and tranny installed by a dealer....with a whole new front end is more then 10K if you're going to put in something decent in either cars.

In addition, neither the discovery nor the explorer is a Land Cruiser. I happen to like my Land Cruiser very much and I'll admit the inital depreciation supprised me at first, but it's slowed down, and I would NEVER except the explorer being in the same class as the Land Cruiser. Yes, the disco is competition, but the feel of the Land Cruiser is much better then the disco. And if you need to carry 7 passengers, the disco can only carry 4 (6 if the third row if it was avaliable in 2000)
  • steenh1steenh1 Member Posts: 28
    My "Check Engine" light also went on at about 100k... was the sensor and $140 took care of it.

Dubes, I haven't seen many posts from people with over 200k miles... could you share your maintenance/repair experience? Would be interested to know if any major components have had to be replaced/repaired, and what it cost.

Thanks,
    Has anyone seen the '06 yet? Would be curious as to differences from '05. I can barely tell any difference on Toyota's website - all they did was photoshop the new grill, tailights and colors on last year's pictures.
    Haven't seen one yet, but I did get some interesting info WRT '06 and '07 model years. Was at the dealer a short while ago and ran into the Area Tech Rep (long time friend of mine) who is very well connected and usually has good gouge. He said that the reason the VVTi engine didn't come with the '05 model year was EPA certification issues. Apparantly the engine has to be certified with the specific vehicle and Toy couldn't get it certified in time for the '05 model year. Now, here's where it gets interesting. Minor changes (as we know) for '06 and then in '07 the LC will remain the same. Then probably the big re-design as an '08. He said that he's been told the LC will continue here because Toy knows it has a loyal base of LC enthusiasts. However, he said that after '06 the LX 470 is history and will be replaced by a luxury version of the Seqouia. This makes me think that instead of doing an '07 LC intro, Toy will wait until it has the hybrid available? I've been told that hybrids will be availale across the line by '08, which would explain why we will potentially have a ten model year run on the 100 series? Hmmmm

Sure hope this info turns out to be true. Could end up being better all the way around?
  • curious54curious54 Member Posts: 47
    Hi, I have a 2005 LC which i bought for my retirement car. I am thinking about buying a 24 foot travel trailer and it weighs around 5000lbs. My question is that like I said...this is my retirement car and so I want to keep it for a long time. So, if i start towing, will it effective the longevity of this Toyota vehicle because I know that it will stress the engine out and it will work harder, but i only plan to tow it about 3-4 times a year and so I am wondering and pondering...
    I have to agree with you on all your points. I guess the only response that I can make that makes any sense is that rugged quality costs.
  • mgreenemgreene Member Posts: 32
    Toyota is going to bring to market a "tarted up" Seqouia to the high profile "look at mine" SUV segment? Bad mistake in my estimation. I do not see how Toyota can take a $45k vehicle and upgrade it to the extent that it will compete in the high end Luxury SUV market.

In my view the LX 470 succsessfuly competed with the likes of Range Rover, because it combined the world class off road capabilities of Land Cruiser with the Luxury enhancements of Lexus. Seqouia, though fine SUV that it is, will probably not attract this market segment, no matter how much lipstick Toyota puts on it.

Toyota as acorporate entity has always been a little strange, in my opinion, but this could rank as an all time high bizarre move, if it is in fact true.

my take
    mgreene
    Couldn't agree more. Just passing on info from someone that's on the "inside". It's probably a little hard for Toy to take the LC/LX to the same perceived luxury level as RR with the Sequoia in their mix?

I didn't get to talk with the guy long enough to get any more details, but my take was that Lexus would have the perked up Seqouia and Toy keeps the LC. It seems that things that have been in the LX, have a way of showing up in the LC. Such is the case this year (2006) with the height adjustable suspension. The rumor of LC going to be a Lexus only has been circulating for quite a while. As we only get one “trim” option here, I suppose the badging was an issue.

Guess this is something we’ll just have to keep watching!
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    posted earlier, so, if it has, just refer me to the series of posts to get my answer...

What are the real differences between the TLC and the LX470? Is either better than another, or is it just an Explorer/Mountaineer but with a classier vehicle? Are they really THAT well made, or are you owners just trying to psychologically justify the expense in your minds? What are the best features of each, and what are the worst features/complaints of each? Knowing what you now know, would you buy that year and model again, or would you seek out a cheaper SUV?

When the time comes, I will be looking at 2006 Explorer/Mountaineer, 2005/6 Nissan Pathfinder, 2006 Jeep Commander, and 2000-2003 TLC/LX470.

Last question...what were the years of the Lexus LX450, prior to the 470, and would you consider that as a more economical vehicle, or did it have any special problems to deal with, possibly solved by the upgrade to the 470.

I do not intend to tow much, as I have a Dodge Ram for that, but what I want is an SUV with part-time 4WD, so I can engage 4WD only when I want it, to go over hills, mud, snow (rarely)...do NOT want AWD...and only need 1st and 2nd row seating, rear will be for 1-2 dogs...

Thanks for any help...