Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• seattlecruiserseattlecruiser Member Posts: 45
    Sounds like neither the LC nor the LX is for you. Both have full-time 4WD.
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    I'm not going to go find the post, but the major differences between the LX/LC is the level of Luxury. The LX is quieter, has more wood, and depending on the year, more options (nav, memory, sound). It also has the air suspension, which the new 06 LC has now.

The 450 became the 470 in 98, and knowing what I know now, and after having my 2000 TLC for 5 years now, I'd probably still would have bought the same SUV. The only reason I wouldn't get it would be if gas prices were to go past $3 ($1.20 back in the days)

Interms of an SUV without full time four and third row, an eairlier LC or LX450 might be what you're looking for.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    "interms of an SUV without full time four and third row, an eairlier LC or LX450 might be what you're looking for."

Actually, all Landcruisers (since 1991) and LX450/LX470 (since '96) have been full-time four-wheel drive. If you are looking for part-time four-wheel arrangement, I'd recommend V6 4Runner

LC/LX Upside: An extremely reliable and well-made vehicle. But looking at your needs, it seeme to be over-built.

LC/LX Downside: Poor gas mileage and relatively high cost of repairs if something does breakdown. Most people here are do-it-at-home people so likely won't realize the high cost of ownership but those who are going to be taking it in for repairs will attest to high repair tab. But since repairs are rare, the cost of ownership could be a wash.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I think we are looking at this issue as TLC/LX enthusiasts. However, at Toyota Corporate, the bean counters have a say too. TLC has a great history, heritage etc. That's not enough for the Average person to shell out 60K for a Toyota truck. From a marketing/profitability/cost perspective, I think it makes sense for the 2008 Tundra/Sequoia/LC/LX to share the same platform as Nissan has done with the Armada/Titan/Xterra/Pathfinder/QX56 etc. They all share the same basic chasis with modifications. I will still trade in my 2002 TLC the last model year TLC be it in 2007 or 2008 and hold on to it for life. Landcruiser or bust ....
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    that they were full time 4WD (is that what AWD is?)...I want a regular 2WD with levers and switches to engage 4WD, hi or lo range, only when I want or need it...thanks for the info update, you guys have been very helpful...

Ain't it annoying? One (OK, two) of the best made SUVs out there are out of consideration just because they do not have my kind of 4WD...maybe Infinity will come out with a successor to the QX4, altho it would be well out of my price range until it was 2-3 years used...
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Yep, am currently looking to go ahead and purchase the 2006. Just tired of sitting on my hands waiting for Toyota to make a move. Actually, Toyota making the move is what scares me the most - just do not have a good feeling about the next generation series, especially the likely possibility of it sharing the Sequoia/Tundra platform. Bet it will be made in U.S., too. A hybrid LC would be the only thing that could sway me down the road, but there are many bugs to be worked out and it will demand a hefty premium - probably upwards of $70K. Now, just need to determine which color will best persevere the next 10-15 years. I welcome any color suggestions....
  • seattlecruiserseattlecruiser Member Posts: 45
    I don't remember the source, but somewhere I read that the only color that has never gone "out of fashion" is silver. Coincidentally, my uncle, who is an insurance risk assessment analyst, keeps telling me silver is also statistically the safest color.

However, I would recommend you go with the color you like best. Seems like the LC doesn't come in any colors that a few years down the road you couldn't stand anymore (unlike some Humvees I see around town in bright yellow or Jeeps in purple metallic).
    Excellent points. I have always been partial to the silver colors on the 80/100 - they seem to really accentuate the LC's classic lines. Probably will end up going with thunder cloud. Also like the black, but the upkeep would probably get the best of me over time. My all time favorite was river rock green, but unfortunately it's no longer offered. Wish they would bring river rock back along with the bronze tinted glass, but those days are probably long gone.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Nissan puts the same frame (and yes it is body on frame architecture) under 4 cylinder Xterras and V8 Armadas?? Titans and Pathfinder?? Man, aren't there some huge wheelbase, GVW , powertrain, and other differences?
  • davefromnjdavefromnj Member Posts: 10
    I noticed on Toyota's website when I built my LC, it forced me to take the $6300.00 option (DVD, Nav, etc.) I rather buy the LC without those options. Is it possible to buy a base model? Or does the LC come with the options as "standard" based on my region?
    It does vary by region of the country, but I do believe you can order one from Japan to your exact specs thru your dealer. However, supposedly this entails about a 3-4 month wait (at least that's what they have told me in the past). I suspect that your negotiation power is weakened because of the dealer's fear of being stuck with a base vehicle that they can't move should you not take delivery. They will try to force the navigation down your throat telling you that it will hinder resale value down the road. I have seen just a handful of 2003-6s without navigation, so trying to locate one without special ordering is a long shot.
  • gary4gary4 Member Posts: 1
    I am strongly considering a 2006 LC when my current MB wagon lease is up later this year. What is the best option: buy or lease? My concern is that if a hybrid comes out in 2008, my resid would be crushed. Also, do I have good buying power with a purchase given this a late-model LC, or can dealers still get top dollar?
  • larry olarry o Member Posts: 3
    I am a big fan of the Atlantis Blue
  • seaboneseabone Member Posts: 8
    HI MARSHA - HAVE A LAND CRUISER AND LOVE IT -
    THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT THE "COST TO OWN" IS CONSIDERABLY BETTER THAN THE OTHERS - IN MY CASE, WAS LOOKING AT A LINCOLN NAVIGATOR AND THE INSURANCE COSTS ALONE WERE $60 MORE PER MONTH - POINT BEING THAT THE LAND CRUISER IS RATED HIGHER BY INSURANCE STANDARDS IN SAFETY, ETCETERA - AND BCAUSE OF ALL OF THE SAFETY FEATURES AND SECURITY (I.E. VIN ENGRAVED ON EACH WINDOW, ETC.) IT RATES LOWER FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES.
    CHECK IT OUT. I'D SAY THAT IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE OF ABOUT $500 - $800 PER YEAR IN INSURANCE PREMIUMS ALONE.
    hi there - purchased a used 2000 TLC with warranty (thankfully); found out that warranty replaced the transmission in october 2004 - now here it is June 2005 and transmission quit yesterday - as far as odd noises, it certainly made some yesterday - and think maybe it had been making some noise all along but that i didn't connect it (mentally) - make sure that you have it checked out thoroughly b4 the actual toyota transmission warranty itself runs out (1 year)
    HI THERE - - OWN A "PREOWNED" 2000 TLC - THE TRANSMISSION WAS REPLACED IN OCTOBER 2004 THRU AN EXTENDED WARRANTY - HERE IT IS JUNE 2005 AND IT WENT OUT AGAIN YESTERDAY AND LEFT ME STRANDED OUT OF TOWN - THE INITIAL DIAGNOSIS IS THAT I NEED A NEW TRANSMISSION AND THERE MAY BE A PROBLEM WITH THE TRANSFER CASE. HOPEFULLY, TOYOTA WILL TAKE CARE OF IT BCAUSE IT FAILED WITHIN ONE YEAR OF REPLACEMENT.
    YOUR POST MENTIONED SOMETHING ABOUT A TORQUE CONVERTER CAUSING YOUR TRANSMISSION FAILURE. CAN YOU BE MORE SPECIFIC SO THAT I CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE REFERRING TO AND MAKE SURE THAT MY CAR IS REPAIRED CORRECTLY THIS TIME?
    THANKS FOR YOUR TIME
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, Seabone!

People tend to ignore messages typed in ALL CAPS. I recommend turning off your CAPS LOCK when posting.

tidester, host
  • mgreenemgreene Member Posts: 32
    Yes I agree that this will shake it's self out over time. What would make sense to me is for Toyota to "discontinue" the LC as a Toyota, and instead reintroduce the re-designed LC as a luxurious but off-road capable upscale vehicle through the Lexus distribution channel. Toyota doesn't need two full-size SUV's in the same portfolio, only one manufacturer has pulled that off,.Chevy with the Tahoe/Suburban. I think that move would eliminate the challenge of designing three distinctly different vehicles from one "mold." They would then only have to concentrate on the redesign of the LC for Lexus and the facelift for the Sequoia.

mgreene
    Don't give them any brght ideas. Actually, that has run across my mind before, too - a Lexus Land Cruiser. Probably top out at 75-80K.
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    I am embarrassed to admit that I have never changes wipers myself before - never had a car this long I guess. How the hell do you fit new wipers? Do you unscrew the old ones first? And I cant see how to fit the long wiper "blade section" to a U-looking unit which screws onto the wiper arm. I got some wipers from Man-A-Fre - I hope they fit as the new ones are Bosch and are not identical to the original. :sick:
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    This is a little hard to describe, but I'll give it a go. First, it sounds like you got a new refill holder complete with the refill blades already in them--right? And the Bosch units will fit. I believe the fronts will have an "18" somewhere in the part # and the rear a "16"in the part #. These #s correspond to the length of the wiper blade. If you fold out the wiper arm--as if you were going to clean your windshield, then tilt the old blade holder toward you (I'm describing the procedure for the driver's side blade) you'll notice that the blade holder will move about 180 degrees from the blade touching the windshield to totally away from the windshield. You will feel a little resistance as the slotted hole over the "u" shaped part of the arm is moved to this "opposite lock" position. Once in this position, you should see a little clip that inserts in to the "u" bend in the wiper arm that holds the blade mount. You will need to depress this clip, pull it down a bit to free it from the slot and then slide the blade holder over the "u" of the wiper arm. Then you can take the new blade holder and slide it over the arm, down past the "u", then up in to the "u" and snap it in place. Make sure that you've got the rubber blade pointing up before you install it.

I hope I haven't totally confused you! I took many words to "explain" this. After reading this you may decide to grab a beer or two and hope it doesn't rain for several months!
    Thanks for the reply. The new wiper "assembly" clearly has to be screwed in with two little screws, which means that the old wiper has to be unscrewed. I am not sure that the screws will come out however.
    I did attempt to do what you described but I only succeeding in busting a little u-clip that held on to the rubber section of one half of the wiper. I wish now I had just gone to a dealer to have it done, I am sure its easy but there is a learning curve - and I am at the starting gate. :sick:
  • landcruiser4ulandcruiser4u Member Posts: 2
    Have you been able to get a dealership to replace the amplifier yet? I bought a used 2001 LC and it has the loud bass problem. I'm afraid it's now off manufacturer warranty and the dealerships won't help. It appears no one here can shed any light or have the TSB# since I didn't see any responses to your post.
    Hmmm, sounds like you got an entire wiper arm then? If you have a "contact" at your dealer, they're ususally pretty good about showing how to do some of these "easier" things.
    Do NADA values have ANY validity?
    Taken as an "average" vehicle my Fj80 1991 is valued by NADA at $7650 and by Edmunds at $3067 (Private Party Transaction).
    Even the "Dealer Retail" price at Edmunds is way lower than NADA at $5269. Thats a huge percentage difference even though the numbers are small.
    I think Kelly values are even lower than Edmunds.
    This is an issue where I now live as the cars are taxed on "assessed value" , and the NADA values used seem to be out of step with reality certainly for LCs.

Comments?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What is the "Kelley Blue Book" Price?

I've heard that some books cater to bankers so they can justify making bigger loans. I've also heard that Kelley has a consumer book and one they just sell to subscribing dealers (and you have to be careful which drawer the salesperson open when they start talking about the book price, since every drawer has a different book).

Steve, Host
  • 95_tlc95_tlc Member Posts: 17
    Hello
    I am removing the running boards from my cruiser and was wondering if anyone had a resource to buy the front mud guards.

Thanks
  • carsatancarsatan Member Posts: 2
    Was current TLC and LX released in 98 or as model year 98?
    Released in 1997 as 1998 model. 1997 is FZJ80 inline-6 and 1998 is 100 series V8.
  • peiomipeiomi Member Posts: 20
    Hi everyone, I am looking at buying an 04 LC with 13k miles pretty fully loaded. It's from a dealer and it is certified.
    What should I look for?
    When will the brakes need replacing?
    What kind of real world gas mileage do you guys get, both city and hwy?
    Thanks!

PS. What would be a good price to pay, they are asking $49,000?
    Isn't the invoice of brand spanking zero mileage LC around $48k ? Granted the actual price is little more but I don't think you are getting a good enough deal. It is buyer's market in car sales these days so bargain the price down a bit. My two cents.
  • bonmon62bonmon62 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Not sure if I am doing this right, but.. I have a1978 Toyota LC, Looks pretty good for her age, (like me), and I can't figure out why she still feels like she is going down the road wandering. I put new tires and rims on, replaced the center arm with a rebuild kit and still It freaks me out driving it.. I want to drive it, but I do not feel safe over 35 mph!. Anyone know what could be the problem? Do I have to go to power steering? Thanks. Bonmon62 ;)
  • bonmon62bonmon62 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a steering problem too.. I have a1978 LC, in good shape, I replaced the center arm with a rebuild kit and it wanders a little too much for me, I do not feel safe at speeds over 35 mph!. Anyone know what it might be?II did put new tires on it, not too big, 31 " tires.
    Not sure I would pay more than 45K since the '06s are out now. Invoice on a new '06 with navigation, air bags and roof rack/running board pkg runs ~$53K.
  • dannywdannyw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 TLC with tires that are one size smaller than the recommended 275s (They are 265s) and am getting close to needing new ones all the way around.

Does anyone know if tire stores will install 285s? As in 285-70-16s? I was just wondering from the standpoint of tire warranties vs. manufacturer specs.

I figured that one size up or down might not be a big deal, but I do realize that going one size up could be more of a problem potentially with things like clearance, rubbing, etc.

Does anyone know if that can be done without having to change anything else?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    The answer is yes, but I would recommend going with the 275-70-16'. I bemoan the day they went from the 31 x 10.50 x 15 in tire size to the above size. This of course increased the cost enormously. The 285's will probably be at premium to the 275's which are already at a premium to more common SUV tire sizes.

Below is a web site so you can do the calculation and get the objective numbers.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
  • 95_tlc95_tlc Member Posts: 17
    Two days ago, I put BFG All Terrain T/A's on my 1995 land cruiser. The size I chose was 285/70/16 and they look great - fill up the fender wells much better. The only issue that I have encountered so far is keeping wheel weights on my rims. The new KO series of the T/A's has a recess in them to let the rim countersink into the tire so as to avoid wheel scraping. The combination of the thick wheel and the recess makes it hard to seat the wheel weights securely.

As for price, yes they are more expensive. However, i learned that buying tires is like buying cars - be willing to walk and they will chase you out the door offering you lower prices. I paid $699 for my set - out the door. I was originally quoted $825.
    Well here is the deal, I got them down to $44,000 + TTL. What do you guys think?
    Does anyone know if you get Bluetooth with the Nav system in an 2004?
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    bluetooth is part of the nav package, but if you're paying 44k, why not try and negociate the price of a brand new 06 with all the options down to ~50K? you would get more power from engine (232 vs 275 hp, and 320 vs 332 ft lb) and it's a brand new car.
    With NAV, roof rack/running boards and curtain airbags, invoice is 53,200 - add in the rip off Toyota national advertising of $800 (part of dealer invoice), you are at 54K pretty quick and that's with no profit (except the dealer's sacred holdback). Getting for $50K would be big stretch. Anybody know whether this $800 fee is nationwide and non-negotiable?
  • memphistlcmemphistlc Member Posts: 10
    Just picked up a 2000 LC with 85K on it. Everything's in great shape, but I plan on doing minor maintenance routines, ie, fluids, filters, cleanings. What is a good over the counter manual? Is Helm's or Chilton's any good? Thanks.
    Havne't priced an '06, but with all the goodies I imagine msrp is around $63K? I think anything around $56-$57K would be a good price for a loaded LC this early in the model year?

Re: repair manual. Factory is probably the best, however, for the things you want to do you may not need to spend the $$$ for the factory manuals. Maybe these manuals are available in your public library?
    OK, I decided to go for the deal when they gave me another $200 off to make it $43,800. I pick it up tomorrow morning.

Now what I need to know is there anywhere to get a cargo area cover to hide items from people looking into the rear windows. I will probably never use the 3rd row seats and can remove them. I will carry tools back there and would feel more comfortable that they were not out in the open to temp anyone. I asked the dealer's parts department and they said they did not know of anything for a LC. Do you guys know of anything?
  • roman2roman2 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1989 toyota landcruiser aj61 turbo deisel, auto transmission, from Japan. I think i have a problem with the transmission but i'm not sure if this is a problem with the transmission. The transmission is shifting quietly and smooth, but when you are driving and shifting from third gear to drive, the car vibrates a little bit for a few seconds. When you push the gas it stops. Usually this happens on the small incline. I am not sure it this is transmission. if someone has had the similar problem please write back to let me know.
  • landcruiser4ulandcruiser4u Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 01LC with 75K miles and want to change out the fluids, etc. in case the previous owner had not kept up with scheduled maintenance. Anybody has any opinion if any of the following services is a waste of money or the price is too high?

Replace transmission fluid - $80
    Replace radiator fluid - $80
    Replace power steering fluid - $65
    Clean fuel system - $55
    Replace front differential fluid - $63
    Replace rear differential fluid - $24
    Replace transfer case fluid - $63
    Replace air filter - $15

I got this list and prices from one of those rapid oil change shops. I question the need for a fuel system cleaning because the engine seems to run smooth. I have been averaging 14.5 MPG city and 15.6 MPG highway. I also question the need for the power steering fluid replacement as it's not mentioned in the maintenance manual as something that needs replacing. However the shop did a color test on the fluid which showed the oil has broken down. Any input is greatly appreciated. :)
  • cruiserfan1cruiserfan1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been a LC fan for many years and have decided to take the plunge. My dilemma is I do not know if I want a '97 or '98. I know the change in body style and the change in engine - 6 cyl. vs. V8. Are they any other changes that were made with the change of year? and how do they effect the LC? is the difference in engine - 6 cyl. vs. V8 extremely noticeable? this will be my second car - evenings and week-ends.

The main reason I am leaning toward the '97 is I have a line on one in excellent condition, 107k, just had the major maintenance done (timing belt etc.) for $13k. It is a "friend of a friend" so I am very comfortable with the history and care of the vehicle.

Thanks for your input.
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    The fuel system "clean" is bogus - instead, purchase and install a new fuel filter and PCV valve. If you want, get a bottle of Chevron Techron and add it with a fill up every 10,000 miles.

As for other fluids, if you're planning on keeping this rig for a long time, invest now in synthetic gear oil and transmission fluids (Mobil 1). Your truck will love you for this. My rig (01 TLC w/119k miles) has really only needed regularly scheduled maintenance. I also do Mobil 1 for the all oil changes.
  • sf_cruisersf_cruiser Member Posts: 6
    I was able to get a dealer (internet sales) to quote me $1,300 over invoice for a 2006 LC. Any idea whether that's reasonable? Thanks.
  • 95_tlc_guy95_tlc_guy Member Posts: 1
    Another difference between those years are that the 97 has 6 lug wheels, while the newer ones have 5 lugs. The rear side windows slide fore and aft in the 97, the 98 only pop open (electrically I think). Also in my 95 I am getting around 16mpg. Is that similar to those with V8s?

Good luck with your purchase!