Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• canyoneercanyoneer Member Posts: 6
    How do LC users carry gasoline? I'm just buying a '94, but it doesn't have a roof rack and I'm sure not going to carry a can inside the vehicle. I thought there would be a few reciever-mounted can holders, but I can't find any by Googling. You see cans mounted on spare tires, so it seems like if the can is high enough to clear a tailgater's bumper there wouldn't be safety concerns.

Seems to me that someone could even design one that clips on securely to the back door like bike racks do -- they carry plenty of weight and you don't see bikes falling off on the freeway. I never have, at least. Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • landcruisinlandcruisin Member Posts: 4
    Check out link titleSlee Off-Road or link titleMan-a-fre.
  • loraoftroyloraoftroy Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 04 LC with navigation system and I noticed the same thing. It doesn't have the compass on the rear view mirror. The nav system is unreal though!!!
  • steenh1steenh1 Member Posts: 28
    I had my front bearings completely replaced on a 97 for about $400 in Atlanta.
    Mind if I ask if that was thru a dealer or an indie mechanic?
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    landcruisin, I am not sure if your 97 LC front wheel/bearing/rotors/etc. components are similar with my 2000 LC, but, just 4 weeks ago I checked with my local Toyota dealer to re-surface my front rotors, they wanted to charge me $965.00. The work entails:
    1. Re-pack the from wheel bearings with replacement parts
    a. new grease seals (2) for the hubs
    b. new locking washers (2)
    c. new grease caps (2)
    d. new snap rings (2)
    2. Re-surface the front rotors.

What I ended-up doing was ordered new rotors (for all 4-wheels) from Man-A-Fre (part numbers: DBA-4788XS and DBA-4789XS) and the above replacement parts from the dealer and did the work myself for about $700.00 with basic hand tools. By the way, the rotors are slotted, Cross-drilled with Gold anti-corrosion paint and they perform fantastically! In case you are interested what they look like:

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/DBA%204000%20SERIES%20BRAKE%20KIT%20FZJ80.htm

The bottom line, the price you got from your dealership sounded about right, an arm and a leg.
    Ouch. I've actually taken one of the front wheels off not too long ago because of brake squeal to check them and the brakes look like they've just been replaced recently. Ended up just being brake dust. Next time they need to be done I'll upgrade though. Given all the info on the web on how to do the bearings I would like to try tackle them myself but I'm an apartment renter in a new town so i don't have access to a garage or any tools.

This hurts because I just had it inspected by a dealer down in TX where i got it a few months ago. Not sure if I can trust the dealer here so thats why I was asking. Has anyone dealt with Cruiser Solutions in NH? Just found them on the web today.
  • steenh1steenh1 Member Posts: 28
    I did not use Toyota, but through a local chain auto/tire/etc repair shop.

I used Toyota once on a Camry years ago and that was the last time... too expensive and can't say the service or quality of service was any better than what I've been getting since.

I also think that the '97 with the solid axle should be an easier/less expensive task than on IFS but can't say that because of any experience I've had. I have a 99 also but have not had any problems.
    Interesting, but I didn't see any gas-can mounts. Just the mounts, you know? I really don't want to add a roof rack or a new bumper. Thanks for the thought --
    With my 2000 LC, since I am not in the automotive business, I rely on Torque Wrench a lot (~45 inch/lbs for Adjusting Nuts & ~47 FT/lbs for the Lock Nuts), a 53mm size socket to remove/adjust these nuts, and planty of good wheel bearing grease....
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    Only a couple of weeks ago I mentioned the new $75 Club.........it didnt take long to reach three digits. My LC is just a garden monument now. A trip to the store and back is $10 - how crazy is that?
  • tloftustloftus Member Posts: 7
    I want a LC...but can't afford a new one! In surfing eBay I see 2002 models with mileage in the 50K-80K range, price $30Kish. Then I see some fascination with the 1997 models (100K+ miles, price $15Kish)...what is it with the 1997s? Are they all 40th anniv. editions or only certain ones? Should I be wary of a LC with 100K-150K+ miles on it? Need informed advice...what are your thoughts?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I had a 97 TLC, last year of the FJZ model, 6 cylinder inline. Most seemed to be the 40th edition but there were some other trims. I just did a 120k major tune on a 1994 TLC and my daughter tells me it is running like a top. There are of course things you have to look out for such as brake pads, rotors, seals etc. But by in large we hope to see a min of 250,000 miles.
  • hollanthollant Member Posts: 3
    Hi Guys, Im in the UK and recently bought a 1995 Landcruiser 4.5 ltr petrol Auto. Wondered if anyone could shed some light on a problem I am getting with the car. She runs realy rough most of the times but I can get in her in a morning and she runs great all day but the day after shes ticks over like shes running on 5 cylinders and there is no power when i put my foot on the loud pedal.
    I have changed the Fuel filter,spark plugs,dizzy cap and rotor arm and plug leads. Which havent made a differance, there are no engine management lights coming up on the dash.
    When I got the car the front pipe (with the catalyst and lamber sensor attached) was blowing, the dealer wanted about 1200 dollars for one so I had a new down pipe made out of stainless steel which retained the lamber sensor (in the same place) but the cat was discarded as it was part of the original pipe, I dont know about the US spec car but the UK version has Two cats, my car still reatains one so is perfectly legal( I did this with a Twin turbo Supra a while back and it didnt effect the running of the car).
    Could this be my problem ? could the lamber sensor be sending wrong information to the ECU ?
    is the ecu altering the timing of the vehicle ?
    Any views kindly welcomed
    Regards
    Tony
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    Hmmm, some simple to check things--can you pinpoint a time when this occurred? After an oil change perhaps? Oil filler cap and dipstick tight? My hunch is your sensor may be the culprit, as you didn't change it when you did your other work. Also, did you clean your throttle body?

:confuse:
    Hi, Only had the vehicle a couple of months and bought it when the front pipe was blowing, car rand great then apart from the blowing exhaust, then tha the pipe changed car drove fine, then this problem came on gradualy and now happens on most journeys, when you mean change the sensor do you mean the lambada sensor ?, will look into the throtle bodies as well , could it be the distributor ! . Its all beyond me the dealers say they cant do a lot as there are no lights on.
    Tony..
  • dsmcruiserdsmcruiser Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 97 TLC last month from a toyota dealer for $14,000 with 97K miles on it....asking price was orig $15,995. Granted it isn't a 40 anniv editon model, the truck runs great and can't complain about anything except the poor fuel economy. My TLC also came with brush bar, running boards, 3rd row seats, towing package. I hope what I hear is true about these trucks tolerating 250K miles. So far I love this thing. I was coming from a 2002 Sequioa limited bought new at $40K......traded it in for an Odyssey and then bought the TLC because my wife missed her Toyota SUV so much. I prefer the TLC much more.
  • paysonpayson Member Posts: 32
    I just wanted to share this with you all.

We live in south Georgia. On tuesday night we received an emergency call from my husband's family in the Gulfport Mississippi area that things were really bad, they were almost out of food, and water, after being hit by the huricane on monday. He loaded up the land cruiser with 2 generators, chainsaw, food, supplies, and 5 five gallon containers of gas, and left early wednesday morning with a good friend who offered to help. It took them 15 hours when it normally takes 8 hours, but they arrived safely. They had to go around roadblocks, and closed highways, and navigate around tree's, and other debris, and they had to use 10 gallons of the gas because there was none available. They stayed a day to help put a tarp on the roof, and cut some fallen trees up. My husband's mother, sister, brother, his wife, and two children, were very thankful that they were able to get help so quickly.

We have owned our '93 LC for 7 years, and it has 157K miles. We have never had a major problem with it, and make sure we take it in for maintenance every 30k miles. It is our most enjoyable car to drive, even though it has been relegated to third car status, and we do most of our running around in the minivan to save gas. This vehicle is more than just a car to us, and hopefully we will enjoy it for many more years.
  • sweinysweiny Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 1997 LTC 40th Anniversary Limited and noticed that at highway speeds, there is a lot of windshield noise, like sand hitting the windsheild at speeds in excess of 45 MPH.
    Does anyone have a clue as to what could be the cause, or are the aerodynamics faulty?
    P.S. the car came with a plastic pebble shield on the front of the hood.
    Hard to diagnose this across the "big pond", but, yes, I'm talking about the lambda sensor. And I'd suggest you find another dealer. Something tells me their "lights" aren't on =). The fact that this came on gradually leads me to think the sensor may be the culprit, as this is how they behave as the platinum element wears out. Also, a dirty throttle body will sometimes cause symptoms you mention.

You're sure you've got all dipsticks, filler caps, gas caps etc tight?

HTH
  • tim5660tim5660 Member Posts: 4
    I'm following this discussion because I'm having similar problems. Today the shop called and said the diagnostics said "tune up", cap-rotor-wires & plugs along with throttle and injector cleaning all for $750. The previous owner said his mechanic thought the only upcoming service would be the O2 sensor (is this the same as "lambda"?). They said the biggest expense was using Denso parts. It looks to me that I should be able to buy quality ignition parts for about $200 and I can do it myself. So if I do all this and clean the throttle body, and it still "misses' should I suspect the sensor? And how does the loose caps effect this? Are Denso parts necessary? Thanks as always, Tim
    Not sure your year and mileage--if you're still under warranty, you need to make sure that what you do won't void it. Loose caps etc, prevent proper ignition, hence the missing. Yours sounds more like that kind of problem than the irregular idle (if I'm reading his post correctly) the other poster has.

You might want to check you plug wires and connections and the plugs themselves. You might have a badly fouled plug, burned electrode etc.
  • bulletheadbullethead Member Posts: 40
    I have a 2000 TLC with 55k miles - it is my daily driver - the 55k is just local driving over 5 yrs - no off-roading (yeah, I know -why buy a LC if you don't take it off road?)

Anyway, I have noticed the aforementioned "thump or perhaps it is more of a thump-click" upon slowing starting up / driving forward - actually it is most easily heard while slowly pulling into my garage bay just prior to stopping - my sense is that it is some type of u-joint play, but I figure I'd check in here with the Experts prior to taking it in to my local repair shop for the 60k mile maint. Also, is there anything specific that I should look for at this maint period? I have looked over the "official" listing of maint items for 60k and it looks pretty extensive

Thanks,

Bullethead
    Likely just needing to lube your F/R U joints.
  • mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    Lube drive shafts.
    I also have a 2000 TLC, I have about 40K miles on it. Lub the joins as the other members have suggested if have not already done so (you will need to remove the Engine Under Cover to get to the front shaft and U-joints).

However, in my case, I do lub all the joints and shafts annually, yet I still hear a similar "thump" noise as you've described. Mechanically, I can't find anything else that can potentially cause that noise, I tend to believe it may be coming from the gas tank (at around 3/4 tank full of gas), with the gas rushes against the tank and caused the "thumb" ???
    These "thumps" can be maddening to track down. If you've lubed the propeller shafts at the axle and tcase insertions and checked the torque of the nuts on the flanges and you still get these noises, check your running board fastners and shock towers etc.

Also, some thump is bound to occur over time, so if you've lubed and torqued things and it improves the situation, though not totally eliminated it, you probably have "resolved" the issue.

When all else fails, turn up the radio :shades:
    Hi, cheers mate you got it in one, fitted a new lamba sensor (dealer part $280.00) and way hey she drives like a good un'. many thanks
    guys.
    What are the "tcase insertions" please ? Are they the "Yoke"?
    Good suggestion! I will check the torque on them nuts... have not done that for a while...
    Hollant-glad my guess was a good one! Nothing like figuring out what's wrong and solving the problem yourself!

rsht--see my previous posts #4658 and #4660 for more info. I think they'll answer your questions.
    steelcruiser, thank you for the reply and directions in your previous messages/posts. They surely explained to me on what to do, and will do so this weekend. Thanks!!!
    Hopefully those references addressed your questions. Again, please be careful when lubing the fittings to the t/case.
    Just a quick follow-up on the "Thumping" noise....
    Bottom line, thank you steelcruiser for the info!!!
    The torque on all the U-Joints seemed to be perfect, in synch with the specs.
    Its incredible, what a few squeezes of grease can do... The "thumbing" sound is gone. I guess I have been forgetting to grease the yokes in the last couple of grease jobs, only the U-Joints got the attention. I watched the Yokes while I was pumping the grease, Yap, they do get pushed out. Cool! Learned something new everyday. Thanks again steelcruiser !! I hope the other 2000 TLC owner is with the same problem and can get fixed with just a good grease job... Good Luck bullethead!!
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    I bought an 05 Accord......
    So now that I'm going to be storing my LC for several long months :cry: , is there any precautions I should take? (ie fuel stabilizers, battery tender, etc) The longest I've gone with out driving my LC has been a week, so I'm not sure if there is anything I need to do besides just leaving it in park.
    Great job, Steelcruiser! I was surprised that no one suggested that a vacuum hose might have come off, but I guess the "coming on gradually" was the clue that it wasn't that.

Only questions left: Is the O2 sensor the same as the lambda sesnsor, and where is the pesky little thing located?
    Assuming you drive 12,000 miles a year thats equivalent to 1,000 gallons on the LC. Your Honda will use say @ 24 mpg or 500 gallons so the extra gas cost of using the LC will be say $1.750 at a price of $3.50/g depending on your location. I would guess that the annual cost (including depreciation) of your Honda will be at least $4,000 - plus the insurance and depreciation on your bricked up LC..... :mad: :
    The lambda (O2) sensors are located just aft of the cats. The connectors for the sensors are on the rear of the Tcase.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Over the labor day weekend, we drove up to New Hampshire from New Jersey. I checked the milage mostly highway driving with three people and luggage at about 60 to 70 miles per hour with moderate traffic. I averaged 18 miles per gallon on my 2002 TLC. This is farily accurate as I tested with two full tanks of gass and over 600 miles.
    I drove from CA to VA and back in the fall of '03 in my '02 LC and got 20+ mpgs a couple of times. Straight hwy driving with cruise control. This was using 93 and 94 octane. Never have gotten that good here with 91, though I've hit 19 a couple of times. (This is really impressive as I have a lift and oversize tires on it)
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    yea, but i feel better not paying $70+ at each fill up every 2 weeks.
  • seattlecruiserseattlecruiser Member Posts: 45
    Getting around 18 is not at all unusual for me, either (2000, 73k). I saw it drop for a while, and soon afterwards the check engine light came on (defective O2 sensor), and since replacing it, I'm back to about 15 around town and 18-19 for highway driving. Seems like the LC likes highways (not freeways) with constant speeds between 45-60 the best. Freeway at 70+ seems to bring gas mileage down to around 16. Must be the not so optimal aerodynamics.
  • riverrock1riverrock1 Member Posts: 1
    For a car that is otherwise so smooth it was definately disconcerting to have a loud thumping occur at high speeds-- I remover the aftermarket roof windguard and the thumping stoped.
  • 01tank01tank Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I just bought a 2001 LC with 95,000 miles. We also own a 2002 Tundra. From what we can tell, they have almost the same engine. We are wondering if anyone can explain why 91 octane is strongly recommended for the LC.

So far, we love the car and love the reliability reputation. This car feels smooth and safe and is....a tank.

Thanks for your help.
  • crushmeistercrushmeister Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have any suggestions on where to look for one of those bolt-on bar/tube things to protect the front of the car...I forget what they are called...Brushguard, maybe?

I have an 05 TLC. Also, any downside to having one?

Thanks.
  • dsmcruiserdsmcruiser Member Posts: 3
    Depending on state, you may not pass inspection....obstruction to your headlights. i failed with my 97 TLC with brushbar. I just had to remove it. I also think the weight gain would bring down fuel economy given today's gas prices....every little bit counts I guess.
  • mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    Most are simply bling and actually cause more front-end damage in a frontal impact. You might try TJM.
    I have had the front end of my Fj80 crushed twice - the second time I had dropped compreghensive insurance and wasnt about to pay $3,000- $4,000 out of my own pocket for the numerous front "assembly" of crap Toyota plastic bumpers parts etc.. For a few hundred bucks I installed a solid ABS Bull Bar - not the cosmetic crap like "grill guards" you see on so many wanna-be SUVs. And there is no problem wiith lights as lights are fitted on the bars - so you end of with two sets including the original.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/images/bumper/80_arbdeluxe.jpg
    http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_frontbumpers_main.htm
    http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/parts_pictures/arbelsawinchbar.jpg
    http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/arbbullbars.htm
  • billtvtbilltvt Member Posts: 1
    The airbag light came on in my Landcruiser recently (90k). Is there a sensor or switch or is this telling me I must replace the airbag?

Appreciate any insight here-

Thanks
  • leerayleeray Member Posts: 1
    If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for this year with this much mileage. I am looking at buying one for my wife, but am not wanting to go much over $12K. Thanks!!
  • trdcruisertrdcruiser Member Posts: 2
    Thats because they (the dealer) gave you the wrong hardware. I had the same problem and found out that the clips that hold the roof windguard down were the wrong clips. Because they were the wrong clips it exposed a gap of 1 inch on the drivers side and when I would reach 50+MPH the roof would produce a thumping sound. One sound that I can not get rid of is the thumping caused by the rear tires. When the windows are up you can not hear the noise, but with one or both of the back windows down its unbearable, even at low speeds (under15)