Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I'd do a combination of something like Rain X. The low tech solution would be a cut out of say cardboard (or some such water proof material) and place it over the windshield.
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371

Rain-X asserts that this product will de-ice your windshield at temperatures down to -25F. It will remove 'frost, light snow & ice'. It will repel rain, sleet, snow and ice. Of course it will also perform the rudimentary function of cleaning your windshield.
    Directions

Open hood, locate windshield washer reservoir and fill with Rain-X De-Icer Windshield Washer Fluid. Close hood. Clean windshield as needed.
  • edsel4uedsel4u Member Posts: 39
    This is the 9th model year for the 100 series Land Cruiser and I am wondering if any firm details of it's replacement have been revealed? I know the "FJ Cruiser" is arriving next year but that is clearly not the replacement for the 100 series Cruiser; or is it? I've scoured this forum and the internet for info but have found nothing.

I'm contemplating giving my 2000 Land Cruiser to my son and getting a new one for myself but I'd hate to miss out on a new model.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    for the Land Cruiser. It is aimed at a much lower price point and to compete against the Jeep Wrangler. Toyota is being quite tight lipped about a Land Cruiser replacement. It's got to be close, but I haven't read any details.
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Yep, been sitting on my hands for a couple of years waiting on details of the next generation LC. Interesting they made the updates to the 2006, could be another 2 years away (2008 model year) - hope not, but they have not been in any hurry since 1998. Anyone heard anything different? Just hope it's not ruined by putting it on the next Tundra/Sequoia chasis.
    The Land Cruiser 78 has had a long run in other parts of the world so perhaps the 100 will stay with us much longer than we N. Americans are use to. Now, if Toyota would only send us the 100 with a turbodiesel and hose out interior I would be mighty grateful. :)
  • ternesternes Member Posts: 13
    I have 275/60-18 Dunlops on my '04 LC. Want to go to a bigger and more aggressive tire. Thinking about Toyo Open Country AT 33x12.50R18 or maybe Nitto. Anybody know how big you can go without a lift?
    I am not sure why you would want to do this without the comprehensive study and resulting component parts.

To me here are some following things to consider:

1. higher tire costs
    2. higher tire replacement costs
    3. higher wheel replacement costs
    4. bigger sized tires seem more susceptible to abnormal tire wear
    5. more rapid brake pad use
    6. more rapid rotor use
    7. less ride comfort
    8. less fuel mpg
    9. higher unsprung weight
    10. faster deterioration of suspension components springs, shocks, more stress on wheel bearings,etc.
    11. gearing might seem less appropriate
    12. greater chance of body and/or fender damage in the mostly unlikely situations you get max articulation for the stock suspension set up.
    13. higher CG
  • mcruisermcruiser Member Posts: 1
    Ready for this....was driving home from the dealer today after getting the timing belt replaced on my 99 LC. Heard a squeaking noise on the way home and I decided to go back to the dealer immediately. I got about halfway back when I noticed that the temp gauge was pegged on the high end (for whatever reason none of the dash warning lights were on). I immediately pulled over and turned off the engine. I popped the hood to smoke and the stench of anti-freeze. To my horror, the radiator hose was not connected to the water pump inlet and coolant was sprayed everywhere.

I called the dealer and they had it towed back to the shop. The service guy was very nonchalant about the whole situation and just said they would refill with coolant and attach the hose. He had no concerns about any other damage caused by the lack of coolant.

I drove about 10 miles and for 20 minutes from the time I left the dealer until I noticed the high temp. I don't really know how long the temp was pegged for. I would appreciate any advice on whether I should be concerned and what I might ask the dealer to check to make sure no damage was done.

Thanks in advance.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    Make sure this issue was documented in case there is some internal major damage to the block or such. Don't let this be a he said she said they said issue.
    The new LC model was in fact introduced 15 years ago. The Fj80 was introduced in 1990 as a 1991 model and the 100 series is not that much different.
    Edsel4u - that would be fine with me if they continue the 100 - classic body style, size, VVTi engine, rock-solid reliability. Also has panoramic visibility - something the newer SUVs are seriously lacking - my Sequoia has very large blind spots. Would be nice if they would add some of the techno gadgets that the GX and 4runner have (DAC, HAC, etc.) but otherwise I am happy with what they are offering. I am just weary of plunking down $55K for a 9 year old model when a next generation LC may be just around the corner. If they could just give us a hint as to what's in store for the next generation series, I would feel much better about committing to the 100.
    You’re right “grantchstr”. When the 100 came out for ‘98 I didn’t feel compelled to trade in my ‘91 Fj80 and when I finally gave the 80 to my son in 2000 I ended up missing it a whole lot. My 100 has been utterly reliable but I feel its gone to far upscale, losing a lot of utility in its transformation from Land Cruiser to Land Cushion.

Flyfish - If you’re “weary of plunking down $55k” for a Land Cruiser do yourself a favor and checkout the engineering & production quality of a $55k Chevy Tahoe like I did. I’m in the market for a second (S)UV and a Tahoe sitting on the Chevy dealers floor was a real eye opener. Besides some ill fitting trim pieces and a busted armrest sitting on the floor one surmises that GM employs only Jr engineers at minimum wage. Even with a $12,000 discount I figured I’d still be ahead with a LC after 7 years of maintenance & depreciation.

I guess when Toyota feels ready to tell us about a new LC they will, but until then, their plans are more confidential than any top-secret plan the Pentagon has.
  • ternesternes Member Posts: 13
    Thank you for your reply and concern.

I ordered my '04 LC and had to take certain options that I did not want as I'm sure you know how Toy works.

I removed the running boards shortly after.

I drive my LC off road as I have all the 4-wheel drive units I've owned during the last 35 or so years.

I'm just asking what would be the largest size tire I can run without clearance problems.

I am aware of consequences of running non OEM size tires.

Thanks Again
    "I ordered my '04 LC and had to take certain options that I did not want as I'm sure you know how Toy works. "

I hear you there! I stopped with an FJZ80 1997. Before that I had the 87,91,94,96,97. I still own the 94/96, so I am afraid my knowledge would probably not apply to the 100 series.
    Well aware of the quality of the American brands, thus why I am only considering Toyota. Question is go with the current 100 (which is beginning to get outpaced in technology by vehicles in Toyota's current line-up - e.g., 4-Runner/GX) or continue to wait on the next generation?
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    FWIW, I run 285-75-16 on my '02 (BFG ATs). I've been a long time fan of the BFGs and usually get about 60K miles/set with them. I believe BFG makes a 285/65/18 and 295/18/65 in the ATs? 285s fit just fine and I think you'd have to get pretty "articulated" to get some rub.

As to additional wear/damage to other components. If you lift the 100 series (I have mine lifted) the CV joints probably get a little more wear, though you can lower the front diff to offset this (haven't gotten around to this yet). Seems suspension lift options are a bit limited. Only company that's doing anything, and that's well known is Old Man Emu. There lift options consist of rear springs and shocks, plus stiffer torsion bars. Don't know of any other company doing suspension components for the 100 series.

On my other LCs (80 series) and this one, I've found that with a lift and larger tires, mileage drops about .5 to 1mpg, though on this LC, I got 20+ mpg a couple of times on a cross country drive 2 years ago. I don't think you need to be too concerned about doing harm if you go to 285s--however, 325s, I don't know. Of course you can do anything given enough time and money =) I've seen 325s and they seem to me to be a nightmare to keep in balance.

Pad wear of course depends on your driving style--I learned a long time ago to coast! I have 40K on my stock pads and they look good for 20K miles (at least) more.

As to the new LC. I got hints from the area tech rep (a fellow Cruiserhead) that the 100 will be here in '07 as well. A 130 has been rumored--but when? Additonal inputs from a long time service manager and a local dealer owner reinforce their continual full court press to NOT take away the LC here. The owner said that every owner's meeting where the LC is discussed, dealers are adamant about the need to keep the LC in the model mix. I, like many here, have a real fear that Toy will put a LC badge on a Sequoia ala Nissan and the Titan frame.

Since there is no factual news (that I'm aware of) on a replacement, I'd guess '08 or later will see a new design and options. Maybe a hybrid offering?

Even with higher fuel costs, and the lower #s of LCs imported to the states, demand and prices seem to have stayed pretty srtong. I'm near 3 dealers and LCs (both new and used) seem to be gone as soon as they hit the lot.

Gotta say as much as I liked my 80 series, the 100 is one sweet rig! :)
  • burneyburney Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2004 Cruiser fully loaded. It has 25,000 miles and I paid 40K. My reasearch indicates it was a good deal. Any thoughts?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can appraise it here or ask for feedback over in Real-World Trade-In Values.

But why bother - it sounds like you already did your research. More fun to go enjoy a drive :D congrats on the new Cruiser!

Steve, Host
  • burneyburney Member Posts: 2
    waiting for it to be delivered. then I will load my yaks on it and go. according the appraisal page good deal :)
  • cumbycumby Member Posts: 6
    I am curious what most people think is a better LC overall between the 96/97 style and the 98.
  • tojomatictojomatic Member Posts: 1
    I know there have been sub threads for Transfer case buzzing under medium to heavy acceleration. I have not found any posts that refer to the actual problem and fix. I have a 2002 LC with 51k so the powertrain warranty is still running, my question is this a warrranty call.

Symptoms under medium load acceleration 30-50 mph whirring or buzzing sound from the HnL lever..I can actually feel it...then 65 to 75 mph under medium load (never WOT) same thing. Cruising is fine. 1998-2000 there was a TSB. I was wondering if this applies to 2002's.

Anyhow thanks for reading. I'll keep googling or probably go to the stealership.
  • chico_mdchico_md Member Posts: 1
    hi there.i need help.i have a 1974 fj-40 toyota land cruiser and i am undecided if i would have it restored or if i would sell it.any ideas on what to do to restore it or how much it would cost to sell it.any idea would be much appreciated.thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    eBay had one a couple of weeks ago that got bid up to $4,000 but didn't meet the guy's reserve (and it was his second try at selling it - link).

Most of that era seem to go between $3,000 and $5,000 on eBay. TMV only goes back to 1980.

My wild guess is that a full restoration would cost double or triple what the final value would bring after fixing it up, but you'd have a cherry classic to enjoy for another ten years.

Steve, Host
    New, I gave 4,200 in upstate New York.
  • donna1017donna1017 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had this problem? I have a 1988 Toyota Landcruiser and over the past 6 months, if we take a long road trip (turnpike speeds, mostly) then anywhere from 4-7 days later, all the oil spills out of the car! This is from a small aluminum plug near the oil relief valve. The plug just gets blown out. I've had this repaired 3 times, and there is no promise that it won't happen again, but no Toyota service rep can explain it. NO, my oil pressure gauge is never showing that it's high, and I don't see any change in the "normal" range until all the oil pours out!
    HELP...my mechanic is stumped and I don't want to keep having to repair this! :(
  • alfailakawialfailakawi Member Posts: 1
    I still waiting for the new land cruiser , what will be change on it shape interiors engine what else ?
    hope any one have a photos for the new land to share us
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    I don't believe FJ is a replacement of the beloved Land Cruiser even though Edmunds lists it alongside it in the new car section as a 2007 model. These two models don't serve the same target buyers. I will grant you that there is some overlap in Toyota's SUV lineup but LC and FJ are quite different.
    The FJ Cruiser is NOT a replacement for the current Land Cruiser. It is aimed at a much younger buyer and lower price point.
    Don't forget we're talking what will we see in the US v. what's availalbe elsewhere in the world. With 3 different vehicles sharing the Landcruiser name worldwide--and with different trim levels as well--the question is what LC wagon will the US get. Lots of rumors floating around about a 130 series to replace the 100 series, including some schetches that look an awful lot like the latest Durango. The "scariest" rumor I've heard is the (next generation) Tundra platform for both Sequoia and LC. Would hate to see that........
  • explorer05explorer05 Member Posts: 14
    my wife and i heave a 05 expy limited and an 04 highlander limited...we have one child 11 months and one due in april...do any current landcruiser owners find the cruiser to have enough room in the back seat to accomodate 2 child seats and a mother? just curious
  • 4toys4toys Member Posts: 14
    I bought a 1995 land cruiser and the steering seems to have a lot of play in it. I have a 1999 cruiser as well and it does not have that same kind of play in it. Do the older cruisers have more play in the steering?
    One more time, with feeling.

The FJ Cruiser does not replace the Landcruiser. Toyota will be selling them both. The FJ Cruiser will cost around $25-$30k. The Landcruiser costs around $55k or so.

There will be a next generation Landcruiser. The FJ Cruiser is not the next generation Landcruiser. Yes, it is more similar in size and styling to the early generation Landcruiser. The FJ Cruiser is built off a shortened 4Runner/GX470/Pajero chassis.

I'm not an auto analyst and don't appreciate being called a half-wit.
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    I have a 18 month old niece and an 4 month old nephew, and both of there car seats fit fine in my 00 LC. There is still space for another person to sit, but depending on the type of seats, it could get tight. My niece's seat is fairly large, so I think that if I had to put 2 seats that size in there, depending on how much hip and shoulder space you're use to, it could get tight.
  • twisterchasertwisterchaser Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2001 L.C. that has a squeak sound coming from the glove box door. I haven't found any posts regarding this problem and was interested in finding out if any other late model cruisers have developed this irritating annoyance. It makes the sound in either hot or cold weather and only does it when the vehicle hits a bump in the road or a jarring effect to the suspension. And no, the door is not loose. In fact, it does not make the noise if I leave the door open, which I only did as a way of trying to determine where the sound was originating. The noise seems to come from the latch part of the door. Thanks for any insite.
  • yyyyyy Member Posts: 22
    If anyone has installed navigation system and would like to recommand it, I'll like to hear. Yes, I did the googling, but still didn't quite get what is the best one for. Also wondering if the navigation system would help if you are in the place like death valley, CA where the road ends. How useful a navigation system is in that kind of situation? (I went there a few weeks ago and almost stuck there as night fall. I got lucky by getting direction from a couple whom happens to drive in the same area for several hours looking for their camping ground. Their mistakes saved my day.) Cheers,
    I repeat that you misinterpreted my comment as did the "moderators" who eliminated my previous replies (nice going guys!).

May I suggest that your focus merely on price is incorrect - just look at the Hummer to see that. The FJ is merely returning the Landcruiser to its rightful heritage. If its cheaper than the current LC then so what.
    (might as well enter the fray) Seems a little more accrurate to recoginize the FJ takes a lot of styling cues from the FJ40, though the newer one is not a replacement for the LC wagon. :)
  • phuthumaphuthuma Member Posts: 12
    Mobil 1 kept my '89 running great through 140k...now I use it in my '03. 5W30 wt for colder climates.

J
  • phuthumaphuthuma Member Posts: 12
    I have an '03 with 18" wheels and therefore have limited choices for tires: B'stone dueler ht, michelin pilot or a Dunlop grand-trek. None have great snow ratings, leaving me with no real good options other than buying 17's with a new set of wheels. Any advice?

J
    Re: post # 4847. Check out BFG All Terrains--

FWIW, I went to the LA auto show today and spoke with several Toy people there about the next generation LC. No real news to report except I was told that the company president (the US, Japan?? just where I don't know) drives one and thinks it's perfect the way it is. One lady asked me if I had any other inputs as she wanted to put them in her show report. I asked her to mention F/R lockers, and see about making the Nav Screen movable ala a rear view mirror. Then I went to the Lexus display and checked out the 470. So, if I were guessing I'd say nothing next year and maybe nothing for the '08 MY either, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the night vision option move to the LC line.

All things considered, I'd take these inputs as good news? Keep things as they are, but continue refining the vehicle. No surprise here, but one comment that came up was the concern about fuel economy. IOW, Toy may be taking a wait and see approach with the LC (100 series) until they can really add to fuel efficiency? I also checked out the RRs. At first, sitting in one felt a bit more refined than the LC, but after checking out the LC again and the 470 (plus factoring in RRs "issues") I would stay with the LC all the way.

Yes, the style might be a bit dated to some, but it still seems to be the best value out there in the luxury SUV market IMHO. So if you're in the market for a new LC, but you're holding off for the next model, that would seem to be a least 2 years away.
    Man a Turbo Diesel TLC would sure be the ticket!! You know the ones that have been available WW forever?!!
    Did mention diesel and she said that others have brought that up across the model spectrum. Got the impression that this is a possibility, but when or on what model(s)?

The problem is the folks I was talking with at the show, while wanting to be helpful, are probably not any more knowledgeable than we on this list are. Too bad there weren't some engineering/design types there :confuse:
    Nitto makes a 285/60/18 a/t that gets pretty good reviews - you may want to check those out.
    Thanks for the update steel. Been sitting on my hands for several years now waiting on details of the next generation LC - I bet its 2008 MY at the earliest or 2009 MY if you typically avoid first year models. I think the size of the current 100 is perfect - hope they don't tinker too much with it - those 130 series photoshops are simply awful.
    I agree with you about the size, but that may be an "issue" for Toy as many potential buyers (according to the Toy reps at the show) looking for a full sized SUV are taken aback by the size and price differential of the LC--which has been discussed here before. For the time being, I think that's been addressed by reducing the # of LCs in the SUV mix available here. IMHO, LC demand is pretty constant and it doesn't appear that there are any problems selling them.

Again, lots of conjecture and spin on my part. But I think your MY '09 is pretty "spot on". I'm sure Toy has some fairly firm design specs now and they're just biding their time with contiual refinements to the 100 before introducing the new one?

:confuse:
    I would agree that they probably have a design specs in the cue (I read that the 100 design was set around mid-1994). I just hope that the redesign is more of a refinement than complete overhaul b/c that 130 series photoshop is disconcerting. I don't doubt it will grow in size, but anything approaching the size of the current Sequoia and other full size SUVs is just too cumbersome IMO. Sharing the same frame as the next generation Tundra/SQ is also unacceptable. Other issues that sort of bother me are the lack of certain technology that has crept in the GX 470 and 4-Runner like downhill and uphill assist, KDSS/XREAS suspension and other Lexus features that are filtering into recent Toyotas that you would expect to see in its flagship SUV. Most of that stuff may not be that useful, but when you combine it with dated engineering (mid 90s) and poor fuel economy, it makes the decision to buy the current 100 that much more difficult.
    Yes, the FJ Cruiser is similar in size, style, and capability to the original FJ40. However, Toyota will continue to sell the full-size (read 4 doors, 3 rows, and $55k+) Land Cruiser. There will be a new version of the full-size Land Cruiser coming within a couple years.

Therefore, the FJ Cruiser does not replace the full-size Land Cruiser. They will be sold side-by-side.