Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• Options
    wrightster1wrightster1 Member Posts: 1
    I've heard that maybe Toyota might drop the LC line and just let Lexus build 470's. I really don't believe it since there is a lot of name recognition with "Landcruiser". Anyone know anything about this or any future redesigns that might be coming out for the LC?
  • Options
    grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    Toyota may continue to sell the $ 55,000 LC (although many like the poster above seem to doubt it) but the fact remains that very few of these vehicle ever see the sort of off-road activity which gave the LC its place in history. Toyota chose the FJ name for its new vehicle for a reason wouldn't you say? The FJ provides the Toyota lineup with a vehicle that has returned the LC to its roots - which is in the African bush or Australian outback and NOT a mall carpark.
  • Options
    luvboxrsluvboxrs Member Posts: 47
    Anyone ever ordered a LC? Can you even do this or do you have to buy off the lot?
  • Options
    nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I agree that the FJ is much closer to the FJ40 than the current Landcruiser (FJ100?). But that's just stating the obvious, isn't it?

Of course I agree that few FJ100s go offroad. Here in the US, I suspect that few FJ Cruisers will go offroad, but probably a larger precentage of FJ Cruisers will go offroad than FJ100s. I take my 4Runner on mild offroad excursions, but I'm in the minority.

My point, which I will try to make once again since for some reason I have not been able to convey it despite repeated efforts, is that it is incorrect to say that the FJ Cruiser is the replacement for the current Landcruiser. It is not. Toyota will continue to sell the 4-door, 3-row Landcruiser.
  • Options
    In chess one can advance a pawn and obtain a queen. In this analogy Toyota is replacing the lost pawn/new Queen with another pawn. Its quite simple and it IS a replacement.
  • Options
    steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    Current US 100 series is UZJ100, not FJ100.
  • Options
    "Current US 100 series is UZJ100, not FJ100".
    It would appear (nedzel please note) that the FJ nomiker is being retained for the FJ :)
  • Options
    for the FJ100. The FJ100 will still be sold and it will still be called the Landcruiser. And there will be a follow-on to the FJ100 with 4 doors, 3 rows, and a $55k+ sticker.

So someone who bought a 2005 FJ100 can go buy a 2006 FJ100 and will be able to buy a 2007 FJ100.

The FJ Cruiser will be sold alongside.

If you go to a Toyota dealer and ask to look at a Landcruiser, he'll show you an FJ100, not an FJ Cruiser.
  • Options
    So who is right - you or steelcruiser?

And do you seriously think a CAR SALESMAN will NOT show a Landcruiser buyer a FJ Cruiser :D:D:D

PS. There is a nice bridge on the Hackensack River.....
  • Options
    flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    FWIW, talked to an Atlanta dealer (owner) the other day who has been in the business a fairly long time who says the the next generation LC ? came up a few weeks ago at a dealer meeting and the current word from their Toyota reps is MY '09. Take it for what its worth, I guess, but this would put the next full size LC on the market sometime in 2008. If you tend to avoid first year models, probably looking at fall 2009.
  • Options
    steenh1steenh1 Member Posts: 28
    The 100 is badged "landcruiser". The FJ Cruiser is not.

If you ask to see a "landcruiser", a dealer would show you a 100... and would hesitate to show you anything else because if you are in the market for a $60k truck, he's not going to cut his commission in half by showing and selling you at $25k truck.

I have a nice freezer for sale in Nome :)
  • Options
    another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    So I've noticed a build up of condensation on the inside part of my passenger side headlight lense. Any suggestions on getting it out?
  • Options
    A commission on $25K > 0
  • Options
    True... I just don't believe that anyone in the market for a 100 would buy an FJ... or vice versa. Two very different price points and markets. The only similarity between the two is both are solid off-road trucks... and they have "cruiser" at the end of their names.

I don't think Toyota is worried about cannibalization of LC sales by FJ.

Could be wrong... thought it happened once, but I was wrong :D
  • Options
    mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I am totally happy with my 100. The only two things I miss are memory seats and a nice Torqey Deisel Motor.
  • Options
    Well I for one would be interested in buying a FJ (athough I would need to test drive a "live" one) and I am not exactly in the so-called "target market". Of course I won't be parting with my Fj80 anytime soon either :P
  • Options
    I'm not in the target market either... and would also look at one but... only if I wanted a little truck for playing off road for $25k.

Here are some differences:

Price $60k $25k
    Seats 7 4 (2 small ones)
    Luxury status High Low
    Interior Lthr /carpet Washable Cloth / rubber

I think to call the FJ a replacement is a stretch. Maybe they'll just kill the LC and move that market to Lexus (hope not), but these two trucks are so different in all respects.

I'm with you on keeping the 80... have one and love it!
  • Options
    mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    You can special order. Most dealers don't like to do it, but it can be done.
  • Options
    Open the hood and twist the bulb connector to loosen it--sounds like the rubber "gromet" has gotten compromised and allowed water to enter the assembly. If you have a compressor you may be able to blow out the moisture and get it dried out. Get after it because left unchecked, the moisture can turn moldy and then you will most likely need a whole new headlight a$$embly. As it is, that might be what you’re facing anyway

Final comment on FJ/UZJ etc. The FJ Cruiser is NOT a UZJ 100 (not FJ 100) Landcruiser. Imagine the intro of the next generation is being pushed further out because of concerns over the whole SUV market (fuel economy), and perhaps the intro is being delayed to get the hybrid technology just right.

The Lexus rumor is an old one—maybe it will happen this time? Just hard to imagine Toy ever giving up on Landcruiser.
  • Options
    "And do you seriously think a CAR SALESMAN will NOT show a Landcruiser buyer a FJ Cruiser"

A car salesman will show you anything you ask for, provided he's got it on the lot.

If you ask to see a Landcruiser, he'll show you a 100. If you balk on the price, he's likely to show you a Sequoia or maybe 4Runner LTD.

But a person who comes in to look at a $60k 7 seat SUV is probably not interested in a $25k 2+2 SUV.
  • Options
    If you can get an FJ and save $35K its a no brainer. :P
  • Options
    If someone is in the market for a luxury SUV and has $25k, they much more likely to buy a used LC than a new FJ... FJ is NOT a luxury SUV... a very nice 4x4 I hope, but no luxury.
  • Options
    "If you can get an FJ and save $35K its a no brainer."

I'm sure the FJ is a fine truck. But if you're looking for a 7 seat luxury SUV, then the FJ is not a "no brainer". Rather its just not an option.
  • Options
    Actually my Fj80 is an 8 seater....but these days I don't need all 8 and I have removed the 3rd row. So the FJ will work fine for me thanks! And the $35,000 I will save will grow to $111,000 over the period of time I have kept my current LC. .
  • Options
    My Fj80.....the hood will not open which is a problem as I need to put in some oil. When I pull the lever in the cabin nothing happens. Any idea how to solve this problem without taking a crowbar to the hood? The wire which threads through to the catch mechanism under the hood is not broken but is perhaps too slack. Can the wire be tightened from inside the cabin?
    Any ideas would be appreciated.......could I use a pair of pliers and try to pull the wire from inside the cabin from where it attached to the lever?
    I wonder whether the cold weather is contributing to this? Perhaps the catch mechanism is frozen or worse - rusted?
  • Options
    tlctoytlctoy Member Posts: 1
    I need to replace the pressure side power steering hose or line in my '92 TLC. I don't know if this line should be removed through the bumper side or through the engine side of the frame. I can't get it to go either way. Has anyone done this?

Thanks
  • Options
    wawrzyng1wawrzyng1 Member Posts: 16
    I have a question about the catalytic converters on a J80.

What are the consequences if one or both are not operating effectively? My "check engine light" is on and the code says the problem is with the catalytic converter. What type of converter is on this model (1996)?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    I was just wondering if folks are finding the 100 series (model year 1998+) as durable and sturdy as the previous series ones ? Of course, each individual truck's life is dependent upon the maintenance provided but if all else is equal, which one will outlive the other ?
  • Options
    Well the 100 is very similar to the Fj80 which was introduced in 1990 in the US as the new bodyshape 1991 model Landcruiser. My Fj80 is still going strong (with one or two minor glitches as documented above) after 15 1/2 years if thats any guide.
  • Options
    gene3xgene3x Member Posts: 5
    I just bought an 04 Landcruiser with nav and have several questions. I feel like I got an incredible deal at $37100. The Nav DVD was stolen (can I get an inexpensive one other than the dealer?) so many of the screen functions do not work. Would this affect the rear camera?(pic doesn't show up) It has 60,000 miles but looks and drive perfect. I noticed it does have the "clunk" Is this common in the new ones as well? Remedy? Will that hurt anything If I don't address it immediately? By the way there are several functions I wasn't aware that it had like the computer that calcs MPG and miles to empty.... nice! Also bluetooth on the 04's! I thought that was only on 05's! I am alittle worried about the Nav. Does not having the CD limit many funtions?
  • Options
    Yea you would think for such a high end vehicle they could incorporate the antenna in the windshield and rid them selves of the motorized breakable 80's style antenna! Oh well nothings is perfect! Even my Isuzu Trooper has a built in antenna!
  • Options
    Oh one last question..... I tow a 5000lb (dry weight) boat almost every other day from about April to October and a few times in between and I was wondering if this would cause problems with my 04 LC if it pushes the towing limit on a regular basis? After gassing up and people and gear in the boat it is close to 6500lbs. Has anyone towed regularly with their 99 or newer LC? Where does the "clunk" issue have its roots and does this cause to much wear on the Tranny?
  • Options
    I hope the dealer you bought from is reputable cause it maybe a problem with the unit itself rather than the DVD.

Anyway, I looked for a DVD. There are no options other than to buy a Toyota disk, as you want to make sure that you pick up the correct version or you could end up damaging your Nav system. I have seen a guy sell the original unit on ebay for $250 which is about $100 bucks cheaper than the dealer.
  • Options
    Well I got the hood open by having two people available......one to pull the handle in the cabin and one to bounce up and down on the hood in the vicinity of where the latch is.......
    That worked........but now the question is how to prevent this from happening again, how to adjust the latch/latch wire spring assembly. It looks like its possible to take off the latch cover by removing a couple of bolts....
  • Options
    The new bigger Tundra is being launched next week according to the wall street journal.
  • Options
    http://tinyurl.com/99mla has several posts re: "clunk"

See if these folks have a cheaper solution than the dealer for your Nav DVD

http://www.navteq.com/

Re: durability of 100 series. Seems every bit as good as the 80s, less maintenance "issues" too?
  • Options
    bulletheadbullethead Member Posts: 40
    First of all - thanks to all that have responded to my previous posts - my 2000 TLC just passed the 60k mark and it seems like only yesterday my wife was convincing me to buy my first "new" car, way back in Nov 2000. The wife just got a 2006 Volvo XC-90 with the big V8 - nice car but definetly a "mom mobile" - so, now I have the "new car" bug also - I'd like to update my ride to a new TLC, but recall hearing that a major redesign was happening soon - does anyone have any info on when this is expected to happen? Many thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Talked with all the Toyota people I could at the LA Auto Show. One lady was very interested in my inputs as she said she does show reports at each venue and that these get back to "headquarters". She was leading me to believe that nothing's firm yet, but maybe we'll see an '08 or '09 intro? One thing that I thought was very interesting--she told me the company president drives a Landcruiser and he thinks it's pefect just the way it is. I assume she' referring to Toy's president in Torrance?

Another Toy rep there did tell me that there is some concern regarding fuel costs and the whole SUV market and of course that will impact any production decisions.
  • Options
    blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Yep, its a no brainer. You get the core of the Toyota value proposition (ruggedness, quality, longevity, etc.) for roughly half price.

I bought a Porsche Cayenne which I love. BUT, I now need something more rugged and utilitarian to haul dogs, lobster gear, etc. I figure I can keep the Porsche, buy a FJ AND still have money left over from a TLC!

The only TLCs the New England dealers have are loaded to the gills with NAV, etc. (NAV in New England??? The ocean is to the East, the mountains to the North, and New Yawk City is South. I90 runs East/West and I95 runs North/South. Guys, are we all OK now on directions?)
  • Options
    blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I hate schlocky things as much as the next guy, maybe even a lot more. But the 25K price difference between a TLC and the net pricing on a Tahoe is getting wider and the Tahoe's quality is getting better, especially with the new '07s. Sure, with the Tahoe there is probably zero pride of ownership but you can do exactly the same things with it that you can with a TLC for the first 7 or so years. Then you dump it. I suspect that the only way to make the numbers work on a TLC is to drive it for 15 years. The problems with that though are the heavy maintenance costs (e.g., the infamous $1000 starter replacement) and that you will have more 200K miles on the clock. Life may be too short for that.
  • Options
    So does this mean a Tahoe and not an FJ? BTW a good friend with a new Tahoe went through two replacement transmissions before the thing was OK.
  • Options
    paranavsparanavs Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the valuable help you have provided.
    I have two questions;
    First
    Why did you say,"next go to the fitting that leads to the transfer case--BUT, only put about 1 or 2 pumps--if that--into this fitting."
    I want know why only 1 or 2 pumps to this fitting?

Secondly,
    "the flange yoke--this is what attaches to each of the differentials and the tcase. Torque specs for the rear to rear and rear to tcase is 78 ft/lbs, the spec for the front to front and front to tcase is 59 ft/lbs."
    I have a 2005 4Runner with the V8 i-force engine.
    Do you know if these torque specs are the same for the 4Runner.
    I have been trying to find the specs for a while to no avail. :cry:
  • Options
    2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    All 4 4Runner torque specs are 65 ft/lbs.
  • Options
    quottroquottro Member Posts: 1
    Just found your old message as I have the same issue.Did you get a response on the best way to get in there?
  • Options
    jackieboy1955jackieboy1955 Member Posts: 2
    I have researched past posts back to 2003...positive feedback on yokohama geolander followed by negative...bridgestone dueler positive comments...michelin cross-terrains...other? IS THERE ANY CURRENT CONCENSUS? I drive 14,000 miles per year, all city/highway...in addition, best (low price/reliable?) place to purchase? What is "revo"?...experience with discounttires.com?...Thanks to all...JACKIEBOY1955
  • Options
    are more aggressive tires. Since you don't go offroad, I'd stay away from the Bridgestone Revos -- they have better offroad traction at the expense of greater highway noise.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I have been able to compare Michelin LTX's (550,000 miles) with Yokohama Geolanders (5,000) and Bridgestone AT Revos (7,000 miles). I was actually surprised at how close they really all are on the highway. While I am sure their are individual diffences in each category, I have experienced NO loss of mpg. Not that the TLC's are any mpg leaders. :)

Obviously I have a good feeling about the longevity of the Michelin LTX from between 50,000 to 95,000 miles. So far the Geolanders and the AT Revos are very very good on the highway. The Geolanders are scheduled to do 15,000 per year and the AT Revos 10,000 miles.
  • Options
    serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    I put AT Revos on my Trooper. Great tires, great traction, KILLED the mileage. They are sticky but you pay for it at the pump.

Regards,
    Tom
  • Options
    "Land Cruiser meets urban b-segment car in this long-wheelbase, short-overhang (relatively speaking) tall all-wheel-drive crossover box from the world's most feared automaker."

http://www.motortrend.com/autoshows/coverage/geneva/112_06geneva_01l_toyota_urba- - n_cruise_concept_photos_front_passenger_side.jpg
  • Options
    edsel4uedsel4u Member Posts: 39
    LOL!

It looks like it jumped off the page of "Horton Designs an SUV" by Dr Seuss.