Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    I was at Mike Erdman on Tuesday , had the TLC detailed . I would rather sell it than Trade-in.
    James my Email address is in my profile, lets get in touch.
    I am actually looking for a good home for the TLC. BTW what is the name of your photography business ??
    My TLC has always been treated with TLC.
    Lou

Thanks for the info.
  • cumbycumby Member Posts: 6
    Ive seen different things reporting that LC's require premium gas. Is this correct? If so, does anyone run regular without problems?
    I got a 2003 TLC bought brand new with 6 miles. Since day one the only gas I have used is 87 Octane better known as regular gas.
    No Problemo at all.

Lou
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    My handbook says 87 Octane.....so go with the handbook. Hell - my BMW's handbook says premium is required but I use 89 and its no problem.....no pinking or power drop-off.
    Good morning.
    Is anyone familiar with Demos, to me it means a glorified used car ???
    Any opinions ??
    Thanks.
    Lou
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Dealers sure like to price them like new cars!

A similar question was asked in a recent Letters to the Editors.

"There is a gray area when assessing the value of a "demo." It has not been registered so the dealership will want to tell you that it is a new car. However, there is wear and tear on the vehicle, as well as 6,500 miles. You have not included the year of the car. If we have it in our Used Car TMV, evaluate it accordingly. If not, evaluate the car as new, then subtract a certain amount per mile, say 15 cents. Also, deduct some money for wear and tear. Deduct these figures from the TMV new price, not from the dealer's asking price."

Steve, Host
    Hi Steve ,
    I placed the same post in the Lexus section, which is what I am looking for, the LX470, 2006. This particular vehicle has about 2400 miles , MSRP $68500.00 appx. discount of $6000.00.
    I am uneasy about the word Demo/Used. All vehicles need a breaking period.
    This particular dealership is know for a very little flexibility in prices.
    We are doing lots of shopping around. In Florida Lexus dealers are few.
    If I were in a better health I would try to sell the two vehicles that will be trade-in instead ( 2003 Land Cruiser and 2005 Honda Odyssey ).
    I am going read Letters to the Editors.
    Thank you.
    Lou
  • antonbeckantonbeck Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for some recommendations for a great place to have work done on a 1974 FJ40. Can anyone make a recommendation?
    Thanks,
    Anton Beck
    Anyone bought one or seen yet?
    A neighbor four houses down the street has been driving a Black Cherry FJ off and on for the last week. I think he owns it now, and his MINI seems to be missing. Hard to be sure since we just occasionally wave in passing; his kids all drive and there's usually 6 or more cars around his house.

I'm not wild about the white roof with the Black Cherry and think it'd look a little better in a solid cherry; the light blue ones with the white roofs appeal to me more. One of the editors here prefers that color though.

There's 4 or 5 FJ discussions in the FJ board.

Steve, Host
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    Yes, my local dealer has two...one blue & the other yellow. I test drove the yellow FJ which had the 4WD Automatic. Really a fun vehicle to drive,and looks to be another successful Toyota. I'd wait awhile to purchase though, as my dealer had a $4000 markup from a MSRP of $30,000. I wonder how the FJ would matchup against a 2006 4Runner V8 4WD offroading? Right now, they're priced fairly evenly, and I test drove the 4Runner SE V8 4WD right after the FJ Cruiser. The 4Runner had more bang for the buck, but the FJ was more fun to drive!
    Some (one anyway) of the big box dealers are selling FJs below MSRP already, but supply is the problem.

Does this interest mean you guys are abandoning the Land Cruiser?

Steve, Host
    No, I'll never abandon Land Cruiser, but just checking around for options and general interests in Toyota's line. But Steve, when the price of a LC equals approx. 2x 4Runners it makes a guy think, ya know.
    I would never abandon my Landcruiser! I will keep my FJ80 until the wheels fall off but I am thinking of buying an FJ as a replacement for one of my three other cars.
    Ok guys, just checking. :shades:

More food for thought for your second car:

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser vs. 2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • mdsdmdsd Member Posts: 26
    Which gas should i use for my 2006 TLC ?

thanks everyone
  • joe116joe116 Member Posts: 3
    I've been using regular since day 1. no problems
  • jhandfordjhandford Member Posts: 1
    Is there any other modifications i have to do other than suspension lift to put 33"x12.5" tires on my 84 model cruiser troopy. Don't know much about cruisers any info would be appreciated.
    thanks Joe116...i guess i'll stick to the regular, i just bought my TLC last May 15 and already put in premium gas twice...so doggone expensive
    i bought the 2006 TLC last May 15 and it came with these options:

Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) with Adjustable Height Control (AHC) and automatic load leveling
  • huma2huma2 Member Posts: 24
    i am looking at a 1992 LC with 145000miles. does not have stock wheels, radio is missing, body and interior look in great shape otherwiswe. anything i should watch out for? is this worth looking into? thanks in advance for any help
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    Brakes, axle seals, Burfields, brakes, starter, brakes, oh, did I mention brakes :shades:

And of course the infamous pain in the you know what heater hose
    I would be interested in the price - I have a 1991 Fj80 with 122,000 on the clock which is being valued by my town (for tax purposes) at around $7,000....
  • toyota_1toyota_1 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently restoring my 1972 FJ40 and nothing is wrong with the engine, but i am looking to replace it. I know everyone puts a Chevy 350 small block in the cruiser, but I wanted to know what other engine choices do I have. The engine I want to use is the 2JZGTE Supra engine.
    Don't have their web sites handy at the moment, but check Specter Off Road, Man-A-Fre
    or Landcuriser Connection. Between these 3 if it's been done to a LC before, they'll undoubtedly know about it offer suggestions.
  • steenhsteenh Member Posts: 103
    You could also go to the IH8MUD.com forum. No doubt someone in there would know. Can't say I've ever seen anyone discuss anything other than putting a Chevy in.
    I just filled up - 20.3 gallons - and I had only done 184 miles since last topping up. I used to get 240 miles a tank (270 on highway ski trips). So whats going wrong? Is the summer heat and evaporation part of the problem? Any advice on tuning?
    Have you noticed mpg slowly decreasing or was it just this one tank. If this fillup was the first time it happened, seems more likely that you weren't full last fillup... maybe the nozzle clicked before full, and you stopped?

Doubt seriously that heat would impact. I don't have much mpg change in summer even running AC on high all the time. Don't even know if gas can evaporate from an enclosed tank.

good luck!
    I have noticed the heavier fuel consumption for a while now - low MPG - it just that I was surprised how bad it was when I actually measured it. < 10 MPG is not good.... :sick:
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    check out these Land Cruiser PICs. There some Bling cruisers with 20 inch dubs.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/880855
    Not mechanical enough to give any suggestions beyond taking it in. <10 mpg is just not right. Fixing it would pay for itself pretty quickly at $3/gallon.
    Have you checked some of the "obvious" things such as fuel filter, hose connections etc?
    The car was fully serviced and checked out not that long ago. The fact is that I dont use it much any more. Owing to expensive gas I avoid the single trips that I would have made in the past. I just use one tank a month or two and its sitting out in the hot sun every day - so I thought that perhaps that (evaporation) might be affecting gas consumption. Thats the only difference - it used to be garaged in a nice cool spot but I have downsized my house (ironically as part of an energy and tax saving proposition).
  • amheck1amheck1 Member Posts: 44
    Hey gang. 2004 4Runner owner here. I was really hoping for a redesign on the Sequoia this year, but it looks like this has never happened, so now I'm kinda shopping around and considering the TLC. I just want some more room than the 4Runner has to offer.

I personally have never really lke to buy used cars. My wife always says to buy a 1-2 year old car, but I usually find that shopping at or below invoice, you can actually get a new car cheaper than you can a 1 year old car.

But I thought I'd give it some serious consideration this time and see what I can come up with. What I wanted to ask...is there a sweet spot for year and milleage for these trucks? Just a quick search on autotrader gave me some 2004's with around 50K miles for around $40K. Was the 2004 a good year for these trucks? I see the invoice on a new one is less than $50K. Is it even possible to get one for that low?

Thanks in advance!
    Aaron
    You can expect to pay at least 56K+ for a new Cruiser as they come fitted out w/most options. That's just how Toyota does its business in the US as this model is made in Japan.
    bought a brand new one last May 2006, cost me $63,000 fully , fully loaded....sooooo awesome
    worth every penny !!!!
  • curious54curious54 Member Posts: 47
    I have a 5500lb travel trailer that i am pulling with a 2005 LC. I am thinking about trading it in for the 2007 LC or the Toyota Sequoia do to the fact that it was 40 more horses and more torque. I am having a little difficulty pulling my trailer up steep hills and or going over the grapevine area (CA). Does anyone think those 40 more horses and torque make a difference in anything?
    My opinion is that you start to see good values only after after the car is 3 years old anything less than 2 years is sells within about 5 - 7 grand of a new one and I'd rather get the new one. The 2006 model also has some of the options offered on the Lexus LX470 like Suspension height and damper settings etc (if you care about these features).
    Don't waste your money as what pulls a trailer is the Torque and not the BHP. The new engine has the 275 HB bu the Torque is hardly changed.
    Hey guys, 1 more question. I'm sure someone here has compared the LC to the Sequoia. I plan to go in and test drive both, but until I do, can someone give me their thoughts? It seems as if I want to stay around $40K, I can get a new Sequoia or a 2004 LC. Like I said above, I have a 2004 4Runner now, and I really want something with more rear seat room and more cargo room, plus I want something that drives nicely. A nice "family" car. I was surprised to see the Sequoia was quite a bit bigger than the LC.

Aaron
    One thought for you:
    Tried the Sequoia against a TLC....not even a comparison
    Get the TLC, Quality does not come cheap so be ready to pay $60,000 or more like I did, but worth every penny !!!
    Paid $63,000 for a brand new 2006 model, the only thing this machine didnt have is a rocket launcher :)
  • runskirunski Member Posts: 4
    $63,000 - this price out the door? Just curious. Thanks.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I think the redesigned Sequoia is coming in a year or so. It will be based on the new full-size Tundra.
    Grantchstr- your assessment seems to make sense given the change in driving habits etc. Now that you're driving it less, you may be able to live with this dip in mileage? I assume that your recent tune up checked the timing, vacuum leaks, injectors, etc? Hang in until the weather turns cold?

Nedzel-FWIW, I was told by the sales manager at one of the Toy dealers near me that the re-designed LC was going in to production next month. Also heard from the area Tech Rep, who works out of Toy Hqs, that he's seen the new LC and that it will be a "luxury" ute like the current one. My hunch is the new version will offer the hybrid V-8 and perhaps that's what has held up the re-design? Since Lexus has a hybrid V-8 already, offering it in the LC makes sense given the way gas prices are going. Jim Press, President of Toy US, drives an LC and it's his favorite vehicle per the Tech Rep, so I imagine the new one will be pretty impressive. The only rumor that's still floating around is if the new LC will share platforms with the Sequoia.
    nedzel, yeah, everyone is hoping for 2008. I was on the list hoping that the Sequoia would be new in 2007, but oh well - didn't work out. That's why I sort of started considering the LC. I didn't really want to wait another year for a new vehicle.
    Might see a "short" run of the LC for MY '07 until the redesign arrives? IIRC, this was what Toy did with the 80 series prior to intro of the 100 series.

Only obvious negative(s) of the current LC (IMHO) are poor mileage and maybe HID headlights? Seems that LX 470 options from previous years eventually migrate to the LC platform. Imagine the rumor of an LX only (from Lexus) will re-surface too.

It doesn't seem to make sense to gussy up a Sequoia LX, have an LX LC and a GX too.
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Steel - did your Tech guy have any input as to whether the classic lines of the LC will be retained or is it really going to be FTX-based (Tundra concept) as a recent [non-permissible content removed]. mag. article has suggested. I would love to wait and see what the redesign will offer, but am concerned they are going to Tundraize it and that I may lose out on gettting one of the last classic 100s (new). You would think pictures of it would be out by now if it is truly going into production in September. Inventories in the Southeast are extremely low right now, so we shall see I guess.
    FF4L-he was pretty vague. Piecing together his inputs, and some I picked up at the LA Auto Show, and other inputs, my hunches are:

Luxury SUV will be retained
    Expect Hybrid technology (gotta think this is what has delayed the intro?)
    Lots of "what if" relative to fuel prices has been done by Toyota
    No indication that the LC/LX offerings will not be continued

I'm concerned too about the single platform and my hope is that we won't see it ala Nissan's Armada/Titan. One positive is the large LC market around the world vs. the US made Tundra?

Something "big" must be looming since info/rumors have been so scarce. And I concur that the Sales Mgr inputs on Sept production make you wonder why we haven't seen anything. But, it also seems to me that info on the 100 series was pretty limited until right before intro of it.

The area tech rep that I know is a real Cruiserhead, and given that he works out of Torrance Hqs, I think his inputs are probably accurate. Since the President of the company drives one, I assume he has more than a passing interest in the next version, so he's probably being careful about leaking too much info.

Hard to suggest what to do re: a new 100 or waiting for the next generation LC. Maybe hold off as long as you can? I suppose one indicator is the low inventory and how the used market is. Here in the SoCal area, there seems to be a lot less of them for sale than other SUVs, and those that I do see for sale, seem to be sold pretty quickly? The LC "community", at least here, appears to be as solid as ever. Makes me think the "word of mouth" following is still strong. And it doesn't look to me that the prices have taken a huge hit--at least the asking prices

Sorry to ramble with way too much personal input and hardly any factual data. Since I have 3 other vehicles, including an 07 Camry Hybrid (like it a lot), I'm able to hold on to mine until the newer version arrives.
  • gollamgollam Member Posts: 29
    will there be a redesign of the lc for 2008 model year with a hybrid drivetrain, that is for next year @ dealerships?..

a sequoia redesign as well for 2008?..

true that lexus cancelled plans for lx470 redesign?

anyone with details?.

thanks
    gollam- I think that's what we're all trying to figure out. there seems to be absolutely nothing leaking out about this. Would have to say that introduction of the V-8 hybrid in the Lexus line up and high gas costs would lead to a good bet that the next LC sill see hybrid technology.

Inquiring mnds want to know--right?