Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's some rumors going on over in the Future Vehicles board. I don't remember seeing any TLC talk but there are some active future Lexus discussions, and I think I saw something about keeping the LX 470 around to compete against the Sequoia (I was passing through looking for something else and didn't pay a lot of attention - maybe a search will help). And there's 2009 RX drawings out on Inside Line today.
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Steel - I now see that 2007s are becoming available in early September in Southeast. I called a couple of dealerships and they said it has not changed except for a few options (upgraded NAV). One of the dealers also thought a redesigned LC one is around the corner and would include many of the Tundra concept cues - he sent me a link to the widely-circulated Australian 4x4 article from last year. Does your dealer/tech guy have any more insight as to 2008 or when the new model will arrive. If the tech guy has seen it and can confirm it is indeed Tundra concept based, that would be good to know because I will just go ahead with the 2007. Please let me know if you hear of anything else. Thanks in advance.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Seems like the redesign will be 08. I am sure the bean counters at Toyota would want to economise on the platform. I suspect it will be a shared chasis set up like the Armada, Pathfinder and new Xterra.
  • mdsdmdsd Member Posts: 26
    hi everyone....i really dont understand all of the tech talk around the TLC 2006, 2007 nor the 2008 models, but would you tell me if i made a mistake buying the 2006 model??? and how is the platform on this model 2006???

thank you...

MDSD
    No mistake there - you have the best SUV on the road. You have the latest and greatest platform, which is proven to be rock solid. No changes for 2007. 2008 may bring something different, but who knows.
  • tallgrass3tallgrass3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Land cruiser. I've had it for a year now. It's easily the best vehicle I've ever owned. My question: how deep the water that I can safely drive it through? Recently I was on very rough jeep trail in a remote part of eastern Oregon, and I came to water across the trail. I waded it easily, and it never reached the bottom of my hips and was usually just a few inched above my knees (I'm 6'1"), however there were a few holes maybe another 6 or 8 inches deep. The water was about 20' to cross. It was not flowing.I was ready to go for it, but my remoteness stopped me. There was little propspect of help if I got stuck. So what's the capacity of a 97 LC to go through water? Thanks.
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    FF4L- I sure will. That shared platform ala Nissan/Armada/Titan thing has been a big concern of mine ever since I heard about it. It's come up more than once in discussions with these various folks over the past few months.

All that I'm saying now is pure speculation on my part, but.....I think we're all pretty sure that there will be a new Landcruiser to replace the 100 series, but what we're really wondering is what the US market will get? If Toy goes the Tundra/Sequoia route how will they make them different? Maybe they could do a Suburban/Tahoe type model--short wheel base/ long wheel base.

One thing that was rumored long ago was no more LC sold by Toy dealers as they had gotten so expensive and that they were going to be sold by Lexus. So, how about this--Lexus sells it as the Landcruiser and they have an "LX" version? Hard to imagine Toy giving up the luxury SUV segment of their lineup to RR.

Since there are so many LCs throughout the world and so many different ones, anticiapating a replacement for the 100 that isn't a Tundra/Seqouia seems reasonable enough--no? Of course the issue here, perhaps is that as the LC has evolved into a luxury SUV, many potential buyers only see the size difference between the Seqouia and the LC and the price difference too and decide they don't need the LC.

My preference would be to see the current set up---LC/LX on its own platform. Now if, they'll just call me and ask me how to handle all of this for them :)

The intro of an '07 is consistent with what the area tech rep told me. A few months back (thought I had posted this) he said an '06 and an '07 with no changes--he has only recentlcy mentioned seeing the new LC, but he wouldn't tell me any more. This ultra secrecy makes me think that this new one must be a very significant change to warrant all the secrecy and that it's going to be so different that demand will be very high? My hunch is hybrid--maybe standard--with more power and torque and about 20% or more better mileage.

My gut feeling is hold off if you can, as there will no doubt be some nice 100s available even after the new one is announced.

I'll keep trying to dig up whatever I can as I'm in the market for a new one too!
    steelcruiser, please keep us updated. I have been waiting for the new one to. I bought a used one in 2005 as I certain they where going to put the VVTI in the 06 model now I don't want to trade my used one and get a new one, until I know what the future plans are.
    Just got this from the Autoweek web site via their advanced search feature.

Land Cruiser: The icon of the truck lineup soldiers on. Markets outside the United States and Canada are to receive the re-engineered vehicle in 2007; the vehicle bows in both countries a year later.

Based on this, we should be seeing something in auto pubs soon? And I think we who are waiting are in the same boat as you are. Probably a short run of 07s?

I may be reading a bit much into this sliver of AutoWeek info, but with everyplace but the US and Canada getting something in '07, that leads me to believe that the NA version will be hybrid?
    With all these talk about the new TLC coming out....i am starting to think i wasted $63,000 buying a new 2006 !!!

Does anyone think i did something wasteful? should i have just waited for the 2007 ???

mdsd
  • trinascruisertrinascruiser Member Posts: 6
    hi there, des anyone know if there is a difference between the 2006 and 07 TLC model? not sure which model i want to get..i have a great 2003..craving that new feeling...am defiently a TLC addict...
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    You're kidding, right? You already own the best SUV on the planet, and you seem to be whining about not owning an upgraded 2007? Givemeafreakin break! BTW, did you know the 2008 models will be even better than the 2007 models????
    k mdsd.. no need for sarcastic remarks!!! amd i'm not whining...did'nt u read my posting, i know i own the best!!! as i said " i just wanting the feeling of a new car" this is my 3rd TLC..had a 92, 2000 n now 03.....
    trinascruiser,

If it makes you feel any better, I know someone who will be interested in buying your 06 if you plan to upgrade to an 07 or later.
    sorry everyone...i didnt mean to offend you with my previous question....i was really concern and sincere about if i did the right thing buying the 2006....i was not being sarcastic...i just really dont know about all the tech things on this SUVs....i am new to them and the 2006 is my first.....again sorry if i offended anyone....but yes i feel better now that i own the best suv on the planet, thanks for all your infos...

sincerely mdsd
    thanks trina....i will keep that in mind...just in case i sell :)
    afraid that is not my LC..i have a 03..upgrading ot an 07.....waiting for it now...
    AFAIK, the '07 will be like the '06s. Undoubtedly a minor tweak here or there. And, no you didn't make a mistake buying an '06. You might feel a bit better if you check out used car ads in your area and see how many LCs you see advertised and how long they stay unsold. Then look at the new ones at dealers and how long they are on the lot before they sell. Finally, note how much advertising Toy does for the LC. Also, check out the depreciation hit for other SUVs--especially RR. I think you'll feel much better. Just enjoy your current LC, hang in until the new version comes out, then decide when or if you want to replace your current vehicle.

Finally, no matter what year you buy, it will always depreciate some. But what won't change is you've got a LC :)

Don't see how you offended anyone--you just asked a question. What's wrong with that?
  • slik6slik6 Member Posts: 2
    Toyota has updated their website with the '07 LC. They are stating it has 265 horsepower. Didn't the 06 tlc have 275???
    Steel - have a chance to pick up a new '06 at 2,500 under invoice - around $52K - (has nav, airbags and roof rack/running board pkgs). In your opinion (or anybody else), is it worth waiting for the 2007 from a fair value perspective and to get the generation 5 navigation. Probably could pick up an similarly equipped 07 for another 4K I would say. Relly hate to make a decision based on electronics, but it does play a small factor. Actually I wish I could find one without navigation b/c I just see it being a very dated and expensive to repair computer 5-7 years from now. But a special order or finding one without nav is virtually impossible given the limited volume of LC production. That (upgraded nav unit) and the fair value hit I will take on the 2006 are my only real concerns. I suppose I could also find a 07 with AVS, but not sure I need or want that option either ($$$ to fix down the road if the system fails). Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Since the 2007 is not really very different from the 2006, It's probably not worth paying 4K more for the 2007. I have a 2002 TLC with the original GPS Mapping DVD. It works well for the most part. There are some newer residential developments and new highways that are not on my map, but i could buy the upgraded DVD if I wanted. Other than that the routing and re-routing works fine. Never had a problem. The unit finds picks up the sattellite signals pretty fast.

However, I agree with you that I would prefer it without a NAV unit if I was going to keep the truck for a very long time. It's going to be expensive to fix the main screen if it fails as it controlls pretty much all the functions, including the audo, climate control, Nav, etc. I might try to special order one without the nav and the fancy suspension which I guess will be costly to repair down the line.

Just curious what the Generation 5 nav offers that is not on the 06.
    thanks steelcruiser...i never regret buying my 06...i guess im not just TLC savvy and not really know anything about them...but to sum it up, IT IS THE BEST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER HAD !!!! and it is worth every penny...

thanks everyone !
    MDSD-the LC has a special and loyal following and will undoubtedly always be in demand by those that own or have owned them. Your owning one now, is showing you how smart you were to get one, right =)

FF4L- the '06 seems like a good idea, in that they aren't different than the '06s? Do you really think the updated Nav is worth 4K? OTOH, I know you want to make sure you have the latest and or last MY of the 10 series if the new one isn't what you were expecting.

Tough decision I know!

Since I've got two other vehicles, I'm hanging with my low mileage '02 until I see the next gen LC. Like you, if it's a re-badged Seqouia, I'm going to jump on another 100 series
  • jaygjayg Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000LC, bought it new and love the vehicle. I moved it from Ma. to FL last year. I have it started once a month but the battery has been dead twice in the last 6 months. Any idea what's draining the battery. Anybody else have this problem.

I'm thinking I should just disconnect the battery when we're not in FL.

Thanks for the help and advice,

-JAG
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    Same thing happens to my 2000 LC. It's not a daily driver so, so it sits in the garage for weeks at a time. I try and drive a few miles every month, but sometimes I just don't get around to it, and after about 3-4 weeks, dead battery. After my 2nd recharge, I decided to buy a battery tender and just plug it in when I'm not planning on driving the vehicle for more then 2 weeks. Its fairly easy, the tender keeps the battery at the correct levels and doesn't overcharge so it doesn't damage the battery. I could have just disconnected the negative terminal of the battery like the manual says, but having to reset the radio presets everytime....

This also happens on my aunts 94 LS400. Its not a daily driver either, so it sits there for weeks at a time. It's battery dies more often and so that car's on a battery tender now too.

I think in both cases, it's caused by vehicle electronics??Alarms/anti-theft/other things that are on when the car's off??
    A couple of things are (probably) going on. One, the battery is "old" based on your descriptions of them. And two, you're not driving often enough to keep it charged. You may want to consider getting a trickle charger as Another Person suggests.

Since I drive my LC often, this is not an issue, but on my Porsche (2006) it is as there are "lots" of electronics that are constantly drawing current. I drive it every other week or so and hook it up to my trickle charger in between.

Don't know what the consequences will be on my '07 Camry hybrid, but it too is driven quite often.
  • jaygjayg Member Posts: 6
    Thanks SteelCruiser and Another Person. Just ordered a Battery tender and I'll take it to FL in a couple weeks.

Great advice, thanks,

JAG
    Don't know your experience level with water crossings. There is a technique where you gather a little speed to create a bit of a "bow wave" in front of you which effectively lets you ford deeper water. I've been up to the bottom of my hood a couple of times without incident. I think you did the right thing by not taking a chance. If you'd been with someone else and had another vehicle to assist you that would have been a different story.

Also, if you do get in to some deeper water that covers your differentials and transfer case, it's a good idea to clean out your breather tubes and change the fluids in them.
    I have the same problem on my 02 if I don't use it for about 3 weeks in the winter. I found it quite strange as I never had this issue with my M-Class.
  • runskirunski Member Posts: 4
    The owner's manual does not indicate the type of differentials 2006 Series 100 has? These are my assumption:
    1. Front - Open
    2. Center - Open
    3. Rear - Open

Trasfer case - Chain driven or gear driven? Thank you.
    Locking center (open), open F/R. They dropped the optional locking rear diff in 2000. 80 series has optional F/R lockers.

I had a link with some good illustrations of TC and diffs explaining the locking functions etc. I'll see if I can hunt it down and post a link for you.
  • syl1syl1 Member Posts: 6
    I have an 01LC. The 12V outlets aren't powered unless the key is in. Can an outlet be set so that it's powered even if key is not in? Thanks.
  • runskirunski Member Posts: 4
    Thanks a lot with the above information and your past opinions, advices, etc. I have read from other forums that open differential are more "rugged and reliable". I hope the ATRAC will be in the same level.
    Steel - probably going with the 2006 model tomorrow. BTW, looks like there is a post of the potential new LC on ih8mud. Looks like a large GX 470 with lots of 100 carryover.

According to my dealer, the dealers went to San Antonio last week for their annual meeting. According to him, both the 2008 Sequoia and 2008 LC were debuted. But they were roped off at least 300 feet back. Guy said the Sequoia looked like a rebadged Surburban (very disappointing in his words) and the new LC looked fairly Range-Roverish according to him. Said it looked pretty classy, but could not tell a whole lot about it size-wise as they were at such a distance. This seems to jive with the spy pic on mud. I would post a link, but I think Edmunds frowns on it.

My thoughts are go with the 2006, let the bugs get worked out on the 2008 and look to trade or keep the 100 for good when the 2009 model comes out.
    Fly--I think that's a good move for you. You know that the '06 is prbably the "peak" in terms of design refinement/options for the 100 series. Waiting for a model year or two to elapse is my MO as well--even with a LC =)

Though I haven't heard of any "issues" with the 100, I do recall there was some sort of transmission problem with the first year run ('98).

Thanks for the link and info. I'm not surprised that the new LC will be RR ish in nature. I'm sure Toy wants that "top" luxury SUV spot that RR seems to have.

Probably time for me to see if I can get any more info out of my friend at Hqs. Again, I suspect he's got the straight scoop, but he can't leak it, if he values his job!
  • tomf3tomf3 Member Posts: 9
    OK - I'm looking to get my wife and SUV to replace her Civic and my Ford F150. I need something that can tow my utility trailer from time to time - nothing super heavy, just lumber, mulch, tools and the like. I was initially going to buy a new Honda Pilot because of the awesome deals, but I don't want a note at all, plus they tow like crap. So I then decided to buy her a used Sequoia and just pay cash for it, but then looking around (on ebay mainly) I see that I can get a year or two older LC (2000 LC vs. 2002 or 2003 Seq) for the same price. What do you guys think? Does anyone own both? Do you guys hate the Seq. and if so, why? I wont be doing much offroading, just looking for a comfortable family vehicle for my new son and wife (she's not new though - ha) to ride in. The mileage on both sucks, but I think the LC is a few MPG worse. I hear the Seq. actually has more room, but the LC is just solid and purpose built to be what it is, not a reengineered Tundra. Can someone help me with some info and "professional" opinion? I'm looking to make a move very, very, soon - Like yesterday. Also if LC, what year is best features/reliability for the money? Sorry for the extra long post.
    One troubling aspect with this 2006 is that it comes with some protection package called Toyoguard - rip off undercoating, paint sealant, interior protection and VIN etching in every window and all is done at the port by Southeast Toyota distributor. Not very crazy about etched VIN #s - supposedly in right hand quarter of every window on the car. While not noticeable from a distance, its just a non-needed option that I would stare at every day. Also not overly enthused about sticky undercoating either. It could be just a thin layer and maybe its applied sparingly, but if it cracks later on, I guess its possible that water could become trapped b/w the undercoating and sheet metal and cause rust - probably unlikely, but just another thing to consider.

Supposed to pick up today. I really shouldn't sweat these small items, but it infuriates me to no end that these port installed options are forced down the consumer's throat.

Any quick thoughts would be appreciated.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It may be worth it to try some dealers in neighboring states who aren't part of Southeast or Gulf States. Probably not worth losing sleep over if the local out the door price is good, but that junk irritates me no end too.
    have a great 03 LD and just feeling a new car right now...not sure which model to get..seems like nothing greatly changed over fr 06 ..does anyone know any of the changes.....
  • edsel4uedsel4u Member Posts: 39
    is this the one we've all been yearning for?

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/09/13/spy-shots-toyota-land-cruiser/
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please check your email. :)

tidester, host
  • tbagstbags Member Posts: 1
    New to the forum and wanting to know if a mid 90's LC is a good purchase for an everyday driver? I would like a 4x4 and a V-8! Thanks
    There are no changes to my knowledge, with exception of possibly next version of navigation. Since a lot of the Lexus vehicles are getting generation 5 (06 LC has generation 4), I would suspect the 07 LC gets it, but one dealer I talked to said he wasn't sure it was getting it given possible short model year run for 2007. Otherwise it is the exact same vehicle for 2007.
    Mid 90s = 80 series, straight 6 engine. '98 first MY with the V8. They're all good for DD use, however, LCs are not cheap to operate. The 80 gets less MPG and is probably harder on brakes than a 100 series. Of course, what condition the vehicle is in when you get it will have a large impact as well as how you drive. If it's your first LC, the 100 may be a better choice.
  • slik6slik6 Member Posts: 2
    from what I can tell...06 275 hp an 07 265 hp. I don't get it??
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    I have an Fj80......but the same question would be an issue whatever the model for those in the North East/Canada.

Is there a block heater attachment option?
    slik--intro of new LC appears to be coming for '08. Hence, no major changes to existing platform.

grant--you might want to do a search for "arctic cruisers". This is the group of specially prepared LCs that crossed the arctic a few years back. Or maybe try to link to one of the Aussie LC web sites.

HTH
  • tomf3tomf3 Member Posts: 9
    I posted this a week or so ago and didn't heare anything, so I wanted to repost. Any responses would be appreciated as I'm looking to make a move soon.
    Thanks!
    OK - I'm looking to get my wife and SUV to replace her Civic and my Ford F150. I need something that can tow my utility trailer from time to time - nothing super heavy, just lumber, mulch, tools and the like. I was initially going to buy a new Honda Pilot because of the awesome deals, but I don't want a note at all, plus they tow like crap. So I then decided to buy her a used Sequoia and just pay cash for it, but then looking around (on ebay mainly) I see that I can get a year or two older LC (2000 LC vs. 2002 or 2003 Seq) for the same price. What do you guys think? Does anyone own both? Do you guys hate the Seq. and if so, why? I wont be doing much offroading, just looking for a comfortable family vehicle for my new son and wife (she's not new though - ha) to ride in. The mileage on both sucks, but I think the LC is a few MPG worse. I hear the Seq. actually has more room, but the LC is just solid and purpose built to be what it is, not a reengineered Tundra. Can someone help me with some info and "professional" opinion? I'm looking to make a move very, very, soon - Like yesterday. Also if LC, what year is best features/reliability for the money? Sorry for the extra long post.
    "I hear the Seq. actually has more room, but the LC is just solid and purpose built to be what it is, not a reengineered Tundra. Can someone help me with some info and "professional" opinion?"

FWIW, I think you've pretty much captured the "main" LC pluses in this quote. Also, with the year you're looking at, the bulk of the depreciation has been abosorbed by someone else.

As you note, the Seq is on a Tundra platform and the LC has it's own platform. In short, it just feels "right". OTOH, if it matters, the '03 Seq has more HP, than the '00 LC and a different transmission as well.

Not an easy choice perhaps, but spend a little time with each and that might help you with your ultimate decision.
  • syl1syl1 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone had experience or have knowledge regarding this product being sold on Ebay? I like to know if it really works as advertised (i.e. increases MPG).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-05-TOYOTA-LAND-CRUISER-TORNADO-FUEL-SAVER-HP-C- HIP_W0QQitemZ330033501263QQihZ014QQcategoryZ42604QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem