Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• Options
    mapconsultantmapconsultant Member Posts: 10
    New 2000 TLC. Still don't know how to or when to use the "power" button located next to gear shift at center console. What does this do, and why would I need it? Also, thanks for the info on the low fuel warning light.
  • Options
    mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    Engine revs to a higher rpm before shifting.....Live dangerously.....push the button.
  • Options
    radarblossradarbloss Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 97 40th with 11,100 miles on it and would like to know what additional options (dealer and/or DE) should have been on it. Mine doesn't have locking deferential, bush guard or chrome wheels. Your help would be much appreciated. Can I purchase a compass/outside temperature package for this model? Chuck
  • Options
    dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    Will the nice gentleman who called me, local to me, wanting the white/oak Landcruiser (new) puhleeze call me or email me again? I can't find you in my email to reach you.

Dianne
  • Options
    That's bRush guard. The Bushguard is what Al Gore needed last November.

Dianne the Republican
  • Options
    dwrichadwricha Member Posts: 24
    Dianne, I thought I would have gotten a response from someone by now, after I saw your name a few minutes ago, I thought to myself "hey, Dianne should know", so here's the question again. Is there a difference in the size on a standard 97 TLC and the 40th Anniversary Edition?
    I've tried locating this info but can't find anything to distinguish the 2.
    Help!!
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    There is no difference in size. If you note any, it is purely an optical illusion.
  • Options
    It's due to the fender flare colors or perhaps to a tire size diff?

Dianne
  • Options
    joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    The only difference is the size of the wallet of the 40th anniv owner. It will be smaller.
  • Options
    "anaversery"

What in the heck is that!?
  • Options
    oops
  • Options
    Wow!! I said Dianne and got much response. Thanks to you all, I tried to tell that other barber that there was no difference but he was so sure of himself and what he saw. I should mention that he does wear thick glasses!!! That confirms the "optical illusion".
  • Options
    By the way, where are the flags coming from?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    From your profile, dwricha.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    I wanna "racing" flag on mine! ;>
  • Options
    islander3islander3 Member Posts: 6
    Considering his apparent visual accuity, just wondering if you're letting this guy cut your hair!
  • Options
    No way!!! This was another barber that also works in the same shop. He and another guy was standing outside talking when I arrived.
    He does cut others hair though!! Not mine!!!
  • Options
    maukamakaimaukamakai Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone give me information to tell my dealer? I know some of you have had the fix but my dealer has gotten no where on a fix. Is it just a matter of getting a replacement amp directly from JBL?
  • Options
    maxfieldmaxfield Member Posts: 5
    My bass blues continue but the end is in sight. I bought in December and noticed the problem right away. I bidded my time until it looked like the problem was solved before I took it to the dealer. (I had mentioned it to Toyota when they called for their satifaction survey.)

I took it in last month with a print out of this forum including the post with a part number. They agreed that the bass sounded bad but said no one else had complained. They copied this forum and said they'd get back to me. I called in a week. No progress. I suggested they call JBL. I waited. I called in a week. No progress. JBL didn't know they said. They didn't want to order a new amp because the part number is the same as the current amp. They suggested I wait until a service bulletin surfaced. I said fine. That same day I logged on to the Toyota website and sent Toyota a complaint. In short my message was that the stereo in my '01 TLC stinks, I know there is a fix, my dealer can't or won't find it, please help them.

Ta Dah! My dealer calls and says that their service guys went to a "class" and learned how to fix the problem. My new amp is now on order!

Squeaky wheel gets greased. Politely take your stereo complaint to a level above your local dealer and I bet you will see results. I used the Toyota customer website (http://owners.toyota.com/) Others from this forum have called regional service managers.

I waited quietly for a month and got nothing. I complained to the the national customer satisfaction center and my amp was on order in 48 hrs.
  • Options
    maukamakaimaukamakai Member Posts: 5
    I have em-ailed and called so hopefully my stereo will no longer have those lowdown bass blues. What is the name and city of the dealer that will do the work.
  • Options
    classicalgasclassicalgas Member Posts: 4
    What's the deal on Toyo guard is this a dealer money maker or does the LC come with this?
    I also see my dealer posting a "southeast toyota administrative fee of $550 plus the Delivery,processing fee of $505. Any one know what gives? Dianne??
  • Options
    Any experience with the Toyota wind deflector product? How easy to install...no drilling? Does the protector have any effect on wind noise at highway speed? Lastly, does the thing have any value, does it REALLY deflect matter away fron the windshield? Is this device worth the $? Do you think this deflector is a good item for a new TLC?
  • Options
    nota4renota4re Member Posts: 54
    I installed the hood protector on my white '98 when new. I think that most of the value comes from protecting the hood from stone chips. On the white TLC, I think at least it made the car a little different from all of the others. I can't really attest to the claim that it keeps the windshield any cleaner than normal and I can tell you it really doesn't do anything (either good or bad)for wind noise. Do TLC's have wind noise?
  • Options
    Thanks for info re hood protector. No, there is no noticeable wind noise on TLC. My concern was that by the installation of this device I might cause a wind noise problem. If you don't experience wind noise, I'm confident I won't. Thanks again.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    No wind noise at all on 4 TLC's. The neatest thing I like is no front lip stone chips!! Other than the front hood lip, Toyota in the past has done a good job in not exposing front painted surfaces to the wind current.
  • Options
    Installed hood protector today. The Toyota product is easy to install, mounting in the same brackets as the rubber stripping just under the lip of the hood. The after market product I looked at suggested "possible" drilling required. Protector looks good, and seems of high quality. No increase in wind noise. Thanks for several comments from board members.
  • Options
    lpc68lpc68 Member Posts: 45
    I've gotten some great advice on this board and am wondering if anyone knows if the differentials on 91 LC have a historical problem. My gears are very clunky when i shift and also when i am on the highway and take my gas of the pedal then accelerate again. i went to a transmission shop that specializes in LCs and they said that 70% of 91s have this problem and that it would be 2-3000 dollar repair.

anyone also familair with a recall on the A/C belt (or something?)

thanks for any advice on these matters.
  • Options
    It could be several things. The 80 series has a lot of slack in the drivetrain due to fulltime 4wd and auto tranny. The later model 80's ('93 to '97) are worse given that the ABS models have a viscous coupling in the t-case. Early models like yours are simply a lockable diff in the t-case.

It could mean that your tranny kickdown cable needs adjusting. Again, very common.

It could mean that the birfields/driveplates up front are worn, which allows movement noticeable when the gas is applied and let off. This is another common problem that occurs when the birfields are not greased on the splines.

I would pop off the cover on the front hubs and see if there is any grease on the birfield splines where the driveplate resides. Add grease here.

Also grease the driveshafts, but not too much as vibration will result. Look over the u-joints while you're at it.

Lastly take a look at the kickdown cable adjustment. Consider purchasing a shop manual for your vehicle. Haynes at the very least, but the factory manual is the best.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    great discounts, in California. And they don't charge an exhorbidant doc fee to cover the discount, or rip you off on your trade.
  • Options
    derfstew3derfstew3 Member Posts: 5
    I recently got a good deal on a 97 LX 450 with 35,00 miles. It seems as though front and rear lockers were available as a $900.00 option when new. This one has the center locking diff. only. Is it possible for me to upgrade through my dealer or others?
    Thanks
  • Options
    Sorry derfstew3 but adding locking diffs would likely be cost prohibitive... at least if you tried to go with the factory set-up. Toy uses electric motors right on the diff to do the lock up. I think you would need new diffs (at least the housings), motors and switch control gear. If you really want lockers I would recommend for you to go to a local 4x4 shop and see what options are available from them. My $.02.
  • Options
    classicalgasclassicalgas Member Posts: 4
    What happens with a front end collision with a brush guard? Will it convert a bumper to bumper into a bent brush guard impacting the hood causing more damage then without it? Anyone with such an experience?
  • Options
    irving4irving4 Member Posts: 4
    Wondering if anyone has tic experience with the installation and use of cockpit adjustable shock absorbers? The Rancho AS 9000 5 way adjustable shocks and the Rancho 9700 remote control system is what prompts the question. Looks great in theory . . . . !

sorry . . . that should have been tlc, not tic . . . .
  • Options
    Yes, you can retrofit OEM locking diffs to your rig, but it takes some minor mods as well as cash. Rear diff including actuator is about $800; front is about $750. Both prices are with 25% TLCA discount. You also need the switch for the dash and the wiring to the diffs. And you need the longer splined axles to engage the dog clutch. Lastly, the rear axle housing needs longer studs, and the front needs some grinding to clear the actuator.

When it's all done the cost will be similar to installing ARB lockers.
  • Options
    Can the cig. lighter socket be made "hot" all the time?
  • Options
    It is hot all the time.
  • Options
    The cig lighter by the ash tray in a 98 is definitely not hot with the ignition off. Not sure about the other years or the other outlets in the '98.
  • Options
    On the 97 it isn't hot unless the ignition's on.
  • Options
    zacktheboyzacktheboy Member Posts: 4
    A local dealer has two "left over" 2000LC's. The one which I'm interested in stickers for roughly 56k...3rd seat, convienance package etc. Given that the vehicle is essentially 1 year old although, brand new, can anyone offer me some opinions regarding the price I might beable to purchase this vehicle for? Thanks!!
  • Options
    Zacktheboy..You have good taste. I'd love to have a 2000, but for right now, I'll stick with my 97LC. I found this website on the Rav4 message board and you should find it very resourceful in getting a fair price. These SUV's hold value well,

and they last. Look over this and I hope it helps.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com
  • Options
    In Feb. this year I purchased a NEW 2000 TLC with 38 miles on thew OD.. The sticker was 55,590, and included the gold package, the wood package, cargo net, and floor mats. It did not include the C7{running boards, etc.}. Total cash price was 42,640.00, a discount of 12,950.00 from MSRP. This price did not include tax and lic.. I have been told that this could not be considered a normal transaction as this was an advertised "special" and was clearly identified in the newspaper a "one only". Still, you may want to keep your eyes out for some dealer that REALLY wants to get rid of a lazy mover. BTW, the color combo is silver{champagne} and tan interior, a combination that is typical in So. gal. While perhaps not a good base line for your shopping, I hope this might help.
  • Options
    pbh97pbh97 Member Posts: 2
    I have been looking at THC's for quite a while. I am amazed at the add on's from Southeast Toyota. There is a $500.00 adman fee, and they have a "protection" package(paint and fabric protector, etching,etc) which is about $600.00 These items are printed on the original factory sticker and have been represented to me as coming out of the port on all Southeast Toy Land Cruisers. (They don't appear to be added at the dealer). The dealers in the Tampa area act like I'm from Mars when I refuse to acknowledge those items as legitimate. Is this a common practice thou out the U.S.? Can anyone give me the name of a dealer anywhere in the Southeastern U.S. who will deal on these vehicles.
  • Options
    ptownptown Member Posts: 9
    Can someone tell me what the four bolt holes on the rear bumper of my '97 fj80 are for? I assumed they were for tow package (which I don't have) but noticed that others with tow didn't seem to utilize them either. Now I'm curious. Thanks for the info...
  • Options
    edsel4uedsel4u Member Posts: 39
    I'm from New England so I can't help with a dealer recomendation but, as they say "Run, don't walk" away from that dealer. I haven't seen that practice since I bought my 1982 Buick Lesabre. Do they add vinyl roofs and opera lamps to their TLC's?

Their service department probably practices the "smoke and mirrors" approach to repairs too.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I think those bolt holes are for attaching a particular kind of towing accessory. Some trailers have a round loop type coupler. These don't work with a standard 2" receiver hitch and require the correct hook to attach to. That kind of coupler is rare on a recreational or boat trailer so it isn't used much.
  • Options
    You'll have to get North of NC to escape those extra charges. It actually isn't the dealer's fault for the extra stuff. I will tell you though that the "Toyoguard" stuff is rebated to an extent. Real cost on that stuff is about $200 so it is a hidden holdback.
  • Options
    The holes are for a pintle hook. See this link for a nice accessory to mount there.
  • Options
    hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    Just don't try to tow 16,000 lbs with it though.

HiC
  • Options
    I used this pintle ball mount and a U-haul car trailer to tow my fj25 and lots of gear from Phoenix to Boise last year. It worked very well. I estimate the total weight was between 6K and 7K lbs.
  • Options
    hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    What year is that 25? What engine did it (does it?) have?

HiC