Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    It's a 1960 hardtop model. The original motor was the F. PO put in a 283V8 with SM465 tranny and NP205 t-case from a fullsize Blazer. It was running stock front and rear axles when I bought it. It now sports disc brakes up front and soon to have minitruck rearend with TLC diff. Frankenstein.
  • chainsaw4130chainsaw4130 Member Posts: 7
    The owners manual for my '99 LC says it takes premium gas, 91 octane or above. Is that what everybody is using or are people running 87 or 89 octane with no problems.
  • mghmgh Member Posts: 43
    I use 91 octane because it burns cleaner and I don't have to clean my injectors very often. Some times due to the availability of premim gas when I travel I have no choice and I have use as low as 87 or God knows what and the truck runs like a champ but I get less miles per galon.

I hope this helps.

MG
  • classicalgasclassicalgas Member Posts: 4
    Southeast Toyota does charge the dealers 500. Only one of few places left that does that as a distributor. The toyo guard invoices for somewhere around 400 with a rebate to dealer for final dealer cost of 160. You should be able to get the toyo guard therefore for 160 (cost). I would point out to your dealer that he is competing with the U.S. You can get a car via internet even if it is across the U.S. and have it shipped for less than some of these guys are charging. I had the same problem until I showed the owner of the dealership what I was going to pay elsewhere.
    If the owner's manual specifies 91 octane, then use 91 octane. More than likely there is an octane sensor that will retard the timing and decrease performance if lower octane fuel is used, but did you buy your TLC to cheap out on fuel? If you really cared about spending less on gas, you would have bought something else, I imagine.
  • edsel4uedsel4u Member Posts: 39
    I am on my second consecutive tank of 87 octane in my 2000TLC. I did this only to find out how the the computer adjusts performance. As mgh(#758)pointed out the TLC runs well but performance suffers. I'm going back to 91/92 octane at the next fill up.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    TOYO GUARD PROTECTION GROUP (XT3) $159

Includes:
    · exterior paint sealant
    · Toyo Guard sealant cleaner
    · interior fabric protector
    · undercoating/ sound shield
    · glass etch theft deterrent (PPO)

I don't really consider myself a fan of this sort of add-on.
  • dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    Toyoguard is the snake oil for the new millennium!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Is there an old LC board on Edmunds? I'm afraid there are too many glamor cruisers in here for my taste.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Toyota Landcruiser

Toyota Landcruiser - Continued

Toyota Landcruiser - Continued II

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

I'll clarify my post...

Any FJ40/45 boards out there?

:)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    (quoting Emily Latilla) "Never mind"

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Snake oil! So that's why you've never offered it!

Seriously, it's just a Gulf States Toyota thing, right?
    40's and 45's are too new fangled. We only discuss fj25's here.
  • 4him14him1 Member Posts: 2
    We are looking at a 92 LC AWD. It's got 157,600 miles on it with a "new" "used" engine installed about 109,000 miles ago. When my husband test drove it, he said it was sluggish on acceleration with no real "get up and go". Is this typical for a V-6 LC? We are new to the LC world and don't really know if this would be better as opposed to a 4runner.....any comments?
    Where?

Well the '92 I-6 isn't a drag racer, assuming that is what you mean.

:)
    The 92 is an inline 6 motor, not a v configuration like the 4Runner motors. fj80's are slow as dogs. Look for '93 to '97 if you want an 80 series TLC.
  • 4him14him1 Member Posts: 2
    joeeblow1.....thanks! I appreciate your input and your kindness about it!
  • rob1971rob1971 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to buy a '94 or '95 Land Cruiser.
    I think that the '95 has more horsepower is this true?
    If so what is the difference and are there any other differences.
    Feel free to mail me at west. rob@tci.com.
    Thanks
  • nota4renota4re Member Posts: 54
    The larger, 4.5L 4-valve/cylinder engine came out in 1993 and was essentially unchanged through 1997. The current 4.7L V8 came out in the 1998 models.
  • crawindecrawinde Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased a 2001 Land Cruiser and it is a wonderful vehicle. There is one irritation however related to the air conditioning system. I like to have fresh air, but every time I change the air intake selector to fresh air, the next time I start the car the indicator is back to recirculate. I can't figure out how to keep the air intake on fresh. I would appreciate knowing if this is a design issue or a bug on my vehicle only.
    Probably user error :). Did you read the owner's manual?
  • jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    Same thing often happens on my 2000 LC. I believe this is on purpose, so that the temperature will get more quickly to where you have it set. It will usually happen on particularly hot or cold days. At some point, it will automatically go to fresh air. That's what I've observed, at any rate. I'm not sure there's any way to circumvent it.
    OK

We know how polluted are our highways (When you go behind an 18 wheeler or a rusty pick up truck) or just cruising downtown in a major city.

I use the the Fresh air button all the time manually just like scuba divers I only take the air I need to keep the cabin with pure air only when I know the air is clear of smog.

The LX470 does this automatic, it has a CO2 sensor installed in the fresh air intake closing the ventilation when it senses smog. And trust me it is not that smart on the reaction time.

This is probably why TLC come this way. Remember it cost more money to cool your house with a window open all the time. You will save your compressor runing time = Gas $$ + Less filters changes if you dicide when to cycle your air.

Note:
    If you smoke you can disregard this post.

I hope my comment helps you Crawinde.
  • katnavkatnav Member Posts: 4
    We are considering the purchase of a 2001 LC rather than the LX470 for which we have been quoted 58,000, which is a great price. We would like to know what some of you have paid for your truck so we can establish fair market value.

Thank you in advance.
    I've seen Landcruisers go at to just below invoice in southern California, but it really depends on where you live as to the best deals.
  • jgts1jgts1 Member Posts: 32
    good deals, I'm in NY- talked to 9 dealers....everyones comment in a nutshell "I'll give you a map to get to Cali if you need it."

$2000-$2500 over invoice seems to be the popular number for the dealer to start the paperwork from what I have found- maybe I'm a bad shopper :).
    jdgts... that's too much! WAY too much over invoice.

Dianne
  • rewyllysrewyllys Member Posts: 24
    Dear jgts1,

At the prices you're citing for the NY area vs. California, you could save money by buying your car in California and having it shipped to NY. You might be surprised at the relatively low cost of shipping.

In January I bought a Lexus LX470 in Florida and had it shipped to Austin, Texas, for $725. That's less than it would have cost me to fly to Florida and drive it back, to say nothing of the saving in my time. (Of course, if I'd been looking for an excuse for a Florida vacation, I might have done things differently.)
  • jgts1jgts1 Member Posts: 32
    but I live on Long Island, nothing is cheap unfortunately (I'm sure an aggressive deal can be found, but no luck yet)....I actually bought my Viper in Nebraska, paid $1400 for enclosed shipment to NY.
    ...can ship to NY, top loaded, for $800.

Dianne
  • antonexantonex Member Posts: 9
    So dianne tell us what will be the right amount over the invoice. Thxs
  • tstuhrmtstuhrm Member Posts: 5
    I have read past postings of poor brake pad life on some 80 series cruisers. Any experience with the new 100 series? Previous postings have spoken of the need to replace rotors when doing a brake job. How did this happen? I have had alot of brake work done in the past and never needed these expensive parts. This is my first landcruiser and I'm wondering if there is something abnormal relative to the brake life or the cost of pad replacement. How long are brakes lasting on the 100 series, and did anyone need to replace the rotors as well as pads?
  • lpc68lpc68 Member Posts: 45
    can anyone recommend a model of 6.5 " speakers to replace my stock blown ones. most dont seem to fit because there is a bar right in back of the speaker which requires an inverted cone speaker. most speakers i have tried are about 1" too deep and when i try to put an adapter ring around the speaker. the speaker juts out too far and hits the dashboard.

thanks in advance for any info
    To Jam1000 and mgh:

I believe the ventilation is on recirculate only on the lowest temperature setting. If I move it up one notch, I can get the fresh air light to stay on. This is with the fan set to off. I live in LA and I should take heed and keep it on recirculate all the time as "fresh" air is a relative term in this part of the woods. Thanks for the input.
    After having just bought a new Landcruiser a few weeks ago I had a problem in that the door ajar light would stay on all the time, even with the engine off and all doors fully closed. This particular problem causes the key fob to not work because it thinks a door is still open. Every new car has to have a bug I guess...but the problem is the parts replacement process takes longer with this car than any other car I have owned. I think the low volume of sales precludes a high volume of inventory. My problem has been solved by taking parts off another new LC and replacing the bad parts on my vehicle(computer chip and wiring harness); otherwise the LC would have been in the shop for almost two weeks(and it doesnt even have 1000 miles on it yet). What are other's experiences with part ordering lead times compared with other vehicles? I trust that the vehicle is reasonably reliable and that this won't be a regular occurrence.
  • hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    Map: The 80 series ate pads for lunch. Most people I know with an 80 change the front pads every 15k and the rear about every 25k. I've not heard of any inherent problems with the rotars unless pads were not changed in time.

The 100 series seems to have solved the quick wear problem. Last time I had mine inspected (at 28k miles), the front had 30% remaining and the rear had 50% remaining. That's only my personal experience though so your actual results may vary.

HiC
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    TLC 60's series, for me has been app 60k on pads.

TLC 80's series, again for me has been app 40-45k on pads
    Try offering invoice and see what happens. Make sure you get the options right and don't forget TDA or you'll get thrown out.
    Did you ask your dealer that? What their price was over the invoice? Most dealers will have no problems sharing the printed invoice with you at all. It's actually easier that way - takes all the mystery out of things. :D
    This is exactly my question, what is the least amount over the invoice price that a dealer is willing to accept. When I wrote the note to you I had you i my mind as a potetial dealer. I know and everybody knows the invoice price, I just want to know if what raybear is saying, that $0.00 over the invoice price will be acceptable. Is it acceptable to you Dianne?. Thanks.
    without her reply getting pulled by the host, it's against Edmunds policy.

You'll have to figure out some other means of contact.
    Thank you. What is TDA?
    It really doesn't matter what's acceptible to me. What matters is what's acceptible to you, and to your dealer. That's the relationship you are building. It doesn't have anything to do with me unless I am the selling dealer. :D

The hosts here do not like me to talk pricing, so I do not. I respect their wanting to keep the board free from that sort of self-promotion.
    Toyota Dealer Advertising; there is a $300 cap in Southern California, the rest of the country can run higher.
    TDA is Toyota Dealer Association (fee) and it is a percentage of the base invoice of all cars, large and small. It ranges from 1.25% to 2% of the base invoice, and it depends on the region as to what the percentages are. Some regions, such as Southern Cal, have a 1.25% TDA added to each car's invoice, but it's CAPPED (or, maxxed) at $300 a car where possibly a car from the North end of the same state or another state can NOT be capped at all. It means that a few hundreds miles or the change of region can affect a dealer's cost for a car. On a car like a Corolla, or Echo or pretty much anything under $20,000, it's a negligible difference. On cars like Landcruiser, it can be literally hundreds.

Dianne
  • randym2krandym2k Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2001 TLC with the DVD/Nav system and am very happy so far. The bass is overpowering and I do not expect any trouble getting the new JBL amp. This forum was a valuable asset while shopping for the right vehicle so I turn to the forum for help with my new quest. I would like to use the internal DVD player to play movies for rear seat passengers on an auxilliary monitor. I do not want to overide the parking bake safety interlock on the in dash monitor. I just want to know if it is possible the get a video out signal from the player to another monitor.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Randy
  • ghanesghanes Member Posts: 4
    It's been a couple of months since I last saw posts about dealers fixing the booming bass problem in this vehicle. My dealer still claims that Toyota has not released an official repair order, so I am still suffering with the situation. Could others comment on the status of their vehicles, or could any insiders tell me how to get action on this problem? Thanks.
    Ghanes: Just bought a 2001 Cruiser and the dealer replaced the amp. As a result I no longer have the booming bass. Toyota is well aware of the fix. It only took several days to get the new amp into the dealership.
    Dianne4toyota

PAINT

On my TLC the paint is peeling off on one of the step bars. What should I do? The truck is less than a year old. Is this common on TLC

Thanks,