Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• reticent1reticent1 Member Posts: 70
    I sincerely doubt the dealer will give you a runaround. Let's hope not! The heat-shield problem's pretty open and shut for dealers... they all know about it. :D We have someone who works here that owns a 1998 LC and she was one of the first folks with the problem (before it was a TSB) and it was fixed pronto. It's actually an easy fix. Good luck with your dealer. :>

-Ret
  • nrossinrossi Member Posts: 47
    No dealer run around? Well, I spoke to the dealer/service rep that did the inspection on the car and who first told me about the heat shield yesterday. I gave him the TSB number and vin of my car, and he said he would get back to me. I have called him several times since then and he keeps saying the same thing, but he never calls. Apparently there is only one guy who knows how to work the "TSB" machine and he is busy with an engine. The worst part is the guy that I am dealing with sounds honest. The dealership closest to me ( I live in manhattan ) sounds like a total crooks. When I called them asking about there being a TSB out for the heat shield, they said no and it would probably cost around $500 in labor not to mention parts!

Good thing I got a new pair of sneakers!

-nick
  • stevenginastevengina Member Posts: 15
    Hi everyone, I am one of the lucky first owners of the 2001 TLC with the Bass problem. I have many posts on this site. Just wanted all future owners to know that this is the first and last Toyota I will ever own!! Love the SUV, just hate the terrible customer service Toyota provides. And yes, this is very important to me. After months of lies from Toyota, they finally fixed the problem only after filing a lawsuit. In the long run Toyota settled my case to my satisfaction.
    Sure wish Toyota had treated me right from day one!! It eventually Cost them My time and their money to settle this case. And yes.. They lost.
    Anyone with this problem would know what a terrible design flaw is inherent to all 2001 TLC stereos.
    So why would Toyota take themselves through a lawsuit that they know they would loose?
    Toyota... What a joke... Shame on your whole corporation.. Thanks to my on persistance.. I can listen to my stereo on a $55,000. + SUV..Goodbye Toyota.
    Call 800-331-4331 and explain your situation. That is the Toyota toll-free hotline for the entire USA. Having the # of the TSB helps and they will direct you to another dealership near to you. The toll free folks are pretty good at this sort of thing usually.

-Ret
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    What is the TSB number for the 2001 stereo bass problem? Thanks.
  • drpimper212drpimper212 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 94 LC w/ 93000 miles. I will be taking a road trip in a couple days--12 hour drive;towing 3 motorcycles 1500# trailer; 1500# total on motorcycles= 3000#. Should I tow in overdrive or not? (I'm going to the mountains) Any other advice for trailering would be great. Thanks in adavance.
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    Read your owner's manual, drpimper212. It will advise you on towing procedures. Typically you do not use overdrive while towing, especially in the mountains. I'm hoping your trailer has surge brakes. Advance the timing a bit to get more power.

I towed about 6-7K lbs with my '93, and I left it in overdrive (except on major downhills), but used the ECT button.
  • lcboundlcbound Member Posts: 15
    Cliffy, you had asked previously about the 2001 4WD performance in off road conditions. I just tested our 2001 LC on the sands in Hatters, NC, and it performed great! Reduced the tire pressure down to 20 PSI one day, then only 25 the next (got lazy).

Drove into some deep, soft sand in normal gear, differentials unlocked, with no problem at all.

Then I tried "jumping tracks" in the deep sand -- the VSC started beeping (first time I heard that), so I backed off and got back into my track. Tried it again and turned the wheel hard: VSC started beeping again, but kept with it as the LC got over to the next track. I then locked the differential for fun, and it worked fine.

My Conclusion: the VSC works great in sand! I probably didn't need to lock the diffs, and probably could have let more air out of tires (20 down to 16 psi), but pressing the diff lock button was easier. It's good to know it's there in case you think you might need to lock the diffs.

I used to go on the sands with my '94 Jeep GC which would bounce horribly, and the whole chassis would squeak like styrofoam. The LC ride was pure luxury on the sand -- couldn't have been smoother or quieter.

Now if only my wife would let me drive it more often.

LCBound.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Thanks for that review. One of the owners of a Sequoia posted a very good review of the A-Trac system in mountainous off road conditions and I am very happy to read your experienced in sand. Here in VA, very few of my customers take their SUVs off road, but many drive down to Hatteras. I'll be passing on your comments to my customers.

For those who are interested, I wrote a detailed explanation of the A-Trac system at this topic:

/direct/view/.eeca1cf

OD off all the time. Trust me on this one. Even with the trans cooler, you will put far less stress on the transmission without the OD engaged.
  • c_williamsc_williams Member Posts: 28
    Great 5 posts on the 4wd operation. Just one correction - on my 2000 LC, the ActiveTrac is not disabled when in 4L. VSC is, but not ActiveTrac. This makes sense because there is no locking front/rear differential so ActiveTrac is all you've got.
    Has anyone purchased any good mirror extensions for their 1998 or newer LC. The stock mirrors don't provide complete visibility down the sides of the trailer.

I've looked at the CIPA slide on mirrors, but can't seem to find a version for the 100 series LC.
    You are correct about the TRAC system operating in 4 low. The post became garbled from the copy and poste job. What is said is that the VSC and TRACs are disengaged only when you lock the center differential. On the Sequoia, this only happens when you are in Low and shift the transmission into "L" as well. The LC and Runner have a button for this mode.
    So I just purchased a 1997 Range Rover SE 4.0. I got a steal of a deal, otherwise I would have passed, given the reliablity problems with the Range Rover.

As soon as I get it, I'll write up a comparison between my 2000 LC and the Rover. It should be fun! I'm looking forward to taking the Rover off road and testing its legendary prowess.
  • ironside7ironside7 Member Posts: 38
    I just purchased a 98 TLC. The tail pipe is surrounded by a stainless steel shroud, which I've noticed is not on other TLCs that I've seen. Was this an option on the 98, or is it perhaps a Borla Exhaust? I've looked at the rest of the exhaust system and can't discern any product markings.
  • hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    Sounds like you have a Borla. Crawl underneath the car and look at the resonator. I recall mine having a "Borla" name in stamped metal on it. Been a while since I installed it though. You can also compare the picture with that of the Borla in Performance Products catalog (not in their web site last time I looked).

HiC
  • ac796ac796 Member Posts: 3
    The 2001 LC "boomy bass" problem can be fixed. (Can read post #823)... You can have the dealer order part # 86280-0W060-C from JBL. Took us less than 10 days to order and have fixed. Sounds great!
  • hudson6hudson6 Member Posts: 17
    My 95 has the light tan (picture coffee with cream)colored leather. The owners manual says to clean it with a 5% neutral wool detergent & H2O solution. I assume the neutral wool solution means Woolite or a like product.
    I am interested in finding any other successful techniques for cleaning and treating the leather.

Joeeblow1- have you been following the 80scool group reference 100 pads in an 80? My fronts should be due soon and I may give it a shot, any input?
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    Thanks all (including dianne4toyota!) for your assistance. Contacted both my dealer (PA) and the Toyota Hotline. Central Atlantic Toyota (dist.) followed up, cheerfully, and contacted my dealer to set up appointment to get serial numbers of head unit and amp. Now just waiting on the head unit to come in. I especially want to thank Steven who had the courage to stand up to Toyota early on, forcing their hand to admit to the problem, thereby helping the rest of us resolve the problem the way it should have been handled by Toyota from the start.
    I agree. Resoundingly in regards to Stevengina's efforts and hard work.

Amen.

-Ret
  • 2cruisers2cruisers Member Posts: 5
    I am interested in installing or having installed a Class IV tow hitch on my LC.

Does Toyota sell a hitch of their own or can someone reccommend a quality tow hitch based on your experience.

Does the 93 come pre-wired for a tow package? If not is it difficult to install a lighting harness?

Any advice would helpful and appreciated. Thanks.
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    hudson6, I have not been following the 100 pad discussion as I have had good luck with the 80 pads. I may go with the 100 pads in the future, but I've got a spare set of 80 pads.

2cruisers, The dealer will sell you a tow hitch for a large amount of money. It's probably limited to Class III though. You can get an aftermarket hitch that will work just fine for much less money. Any U-haul or trailer place can install it for you, or you can do it yourself pretty easily as it just bolts in place. The tow wiring harness is about $40, and it plugs into the connectors behind the plastic panels in the rear of the rig. Very easy install.

You can also consider getting a pintle hook or pintle ball hitch that simply mounts up to the 4 holes in the rear bumper. That's the route I went as it is very heavy duty, it does not compromise ground clearance, and it can be easily removed. It was about $70. The pintle ball can be used with a standard trailer. I used it with a Uhaul trailer with surge brakes to tow about 7K lbs last year.
  • 2cruisers2cruisers Member Posts: 5
    Joe, thanks for the info. Highly regard your information. Will proceed and ask futher questions if necessary.
  • chainsaw4130chainsaw4130 Member Posts: 7
    Does anybody know if a receiver hitch bolts directly to a '99 or is drilling into the frame required.
  • jjjjjeffjjjjjeff Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Lexus LX470. Does anyone know if there's a way to change wiring, etc. so that the power to the aux power jack (cig lighter spot on dash) stays on when the car is off, to keep my cellphone charging? Thanks for the help!
  • gatorhawkgatorhawk Member Posts: 23
    does anyone have any info on the 2002 ls or lx470? i am trying to decide between lc/470 and sequoia. are there any changes big changes or design changes planned for 2002? when will they be available? any info would be halpful.

thanks,
    gator
    2002 change that is for certain is that all 2002 Landcruisers will have the NAV/DVD standard in them. There are a few color changes, but for the most part, changes are minimal in regards to the overall car itself.

-Ret
  • skimmelskimmel Member Posts: 43
    Posted this in the Lexus LX470 Board as well, but thought it applied to LC as well:

Was suprised to find no side airbags, head airbags, park distance control, or stereo controls on the steering wheel of the LX470 (and I assume therefore also the LC). Anyone know if these are going to be added for 2002?
  • ac796ac796 Member Posts: 3
    Bet they will move the DVD screen so it plays all the time!! TOOOOOOOOO many comments/requests just on Edmunds.com complaining/searching for the way to play movies!!! Maybe they will be smart enough to place it right behind the front seats just as they did in their vans for the videos. CRAZY!!! Toyota has always studied their features before releasing them, but, REALLY screwed up with the 2001 NAV/DVD!!! Such a useless option!!! (and yes, we have one!!!)
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I need to help a friend buy a 98 LC. Are there any problems with the 98's. I know plenty about other Toyota's, however a good deal may pass me up if I don't know what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
  • ironside7ironside7 Member Posts: 38
    Has anyone else taken a look at the crash test performed by NRMA on the 1998 LC (http://www.nrma.com.au/Page/Public?PageId=mot_CTToyotaLandcruiser98)? Although it catagorizes the LC as "Good", it notes that the center fuel tank had a "substantial" leak after the offset crash test. Needless to say, as a 1998 owner, this is somewhat disconcerting.

Does anyone know if this is the same model that is sold in the U.S., and if so, whether Toyota has taken any steps to remedy the problem?
  • nrossinrossi Member Posts: 47
    Just thought I let the board know about my noisy head shields. Basically, the dealers I spoke to said that this was not a recall, so I would have to pay for the repair. If the car was still under warrenty, it would be covered.

All that said, I managed to fix it myself for under $2.00 and 15 minutes of my time.

The problem was that the HS are very thin and split at the ends were they are bolted together in the middle. I invested a few dollars into a couple of 5" hose clamps and put them around the area that split.

I am sure this is not the TSB from toyota, but the noise is gone, and I can't complain about the price.

Thanks to all who adviced me.

Regards
    Nick
    I have heard but am unable to confirm the fact that the side/curtain airbags are going to be on the 2002 Landcruisers. Am still trying to get a regional answer as to that issue. We do know that the DVD/NAV system will be standard on all 2002 LCs though.

-Ret
  • skimmelskimmel Member Posts: 43
    Thanks reticent1. Look forward to hearing the official word.
  • hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    Ironside7: I think the Aussi test vehicle was equipped with dual tanks. We do not have a "centre fuel tank" in the US. Also, I could not tell if they crash tested the 4.5 l I6 or the 4.7 l V8. In any frontal crash test the mass in front of the firewall will impact the results. Notice that the total fuel capacity of the Aussi versions is a good 10 gallons more than the US version. In the outback it can be a looooong way between petrol stops.

jimxo: Aside from the heat shields that nrossi fixed with $2.00 in hose clamps, the 98 has no real problems. I am quite happy with mine.

HiC
  • vmaniquivmaniqui Member Posts: 7
    It's good to know that the nav/dvd sys will be standard on all 2002 LCs. Now if only Toyota can make this a dealer installed accessory so that all the 2000 LC owners, like myself, can have this. any idea dianne ?
    vic
  • mashiimashii Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE TL 2001 THAT CAME WITH NO DAD/NV INSTALLED, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TILL ME HOW MUCH IS IT TO INSTALL ONE
  • jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    I posted a while back about a popping noise seeming to come from the roof of my 2000 LC. One person on the Highlander board posited that the problem (which a few HL owners also observed) might be due to expansion and contraction of parts due to changes in temperature in the cavity between the inside ceiling and outdoor roof in vehicles with moonroofs.

Since then, I've found that the noise, which has always been intermittent, will quickly go away if I give the ceiling a sharp whack. My question is whether this tends to confirm the theory above, suggest that maybe there's something out of place in the moonroof or ceiling area, or something else? Does this suggest something fixable? In any event, I'd like to figure something out, since the current solution can't be doing the vehicle or my hand any good.
  • mghmgh Member Posts: 43
    Has any one installed a Jaos Roof rack II in a 98 and up TLC? I just installed one on mine and it gives me a very low pitch wind noise whistle at 55mph and up. Please advice if you have the same problem and how you solve it without making any ugly modifications.

Regards,

MG
  • chainsaw4130chainsaw4130 Member Posts: 7
    I also get a popping noise when my moonroof is opened. I have sunroof wind deflector and when that is on I do not get any noise. If I take that off I get the popping noise.
  • kennywaynekennywayne Member Posts: 13
    When do you expect the DVD/NAV to available as an option on the Sequoia? Also, how about that new 4.3 V8 Lexus engine being available as an option as well :) . Thanks for your help.
    The V8 from the LS probably will not be appearing in the Avalon any time soon. The engineering required to adapt a longitudinally mounted engine into a transverse mount is not easy. Possible yes, but not easy.
    The NAV/DVD should appear in the 2003 Sequoia. For the 2002 Landcruisers, it will be, still, an option built into the cars from Japan but all USA cars will get them in 2002.

-Ret
  • rootheadroothead Member Posts: 3
    Hi - I just found this board and have a question regarding how to use the different aspects of my 2000 TL's full-time 4WD system. Here is the situation that I got into and I wonder what I should have done differently. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated

A friend took his 2000 Montero out into a field to to take his son to a well-stocked pond to do some fishing. Here in Central Ohio, we have gotten 8-9 inches of rain in the last few weeks. All went well for him until he got stock in a low area that quickly turned into a mud hole. He called me and I came over with my tow chain. As I went off the pavement, I continued to stay in 4WD-H mode and easily travel 1 mile back into the field over rolling hills and muddy trails. I place the TL into 4WD-L (after stopping the Cruiser and placing the sifter into "N", I moved the 4WD sifter into the "L" position.) and pulled his Montero out. I then followed him back towards the road. Here is where the problem arose - we needed to go down through a gully that was mud on both sides (down into the gully as well as back up on to "normal ground)and the low point of the gully was 10-12 inches of thick mud. Believe it or not, the Montero went down and up and over to the "dry" side with no problems. The TL and I (still in 4WD-L mode)followed him at a safe distance. All went well until I started to spin the right front wheel. I sat there 1/2 way up the side and started to slide into some trees. I stopped and backed down into the gully until I reached the flat muddy area at the bottom and then tried again - still no luck. Finally, I backed down and turned off the VSC via the dash button, placed the transmission into "N", shifted the 4WD into "H" and hit the gas - up and over I went. My questions are:
    (1) What should I have differently so as to avoid the mess that I got into;
    (2) under what conditions do I use the 4WD-L mode and when should I ever have to turn off the VSC system?

The TLC owners mannual is useless from this perspective.

Thanks for your time and assistance.
  • mashiimashii Member Posts: 3
    I am still looking for some info regarding TLC 2001 DVD/NAV, my TLC came without it and my question is how much will it cost and how easy to install it. any info is highly appreciated.
  • nota4renota4re Member Posts: 54
    Mashii, et.al,

Don't fret over not having purchased the factory NAV. You can add it to your TLC and will likely be more pleased with the results as compared to factory. Alpine makes the NAV for all Toyota models and you can but the aftermarket DVD-based Alpine from an authorized dealer near you. You can have them do the install or do it yourself. One drawback, however, is that the aftermarket Alpine NAV canot play DVD videos even while standing still. You'll need a DVD player for that. The good news is that the factory TLC radio uses a standard double-DIN radio spot and you can easily add two components - a display and a DVD player, for example.

I installed such a system in my 98 TLC approximately 9 months ago. We just recently turned the TLC in and picked up a Limited Sequoia.

Some pics of both installs can be found at

http://www.pacificnet.net/~kpond/98tlcnav.jpg and

http://www.pacificnet.net/~kpond/sequoia/Alpine_files/frame.htm

• lc2000lc2000 Member Posts: 33
    nota4re: Could view your pic of the LC nav install, but had no luck viewing your Sequoia pictures. Only thing that displayed was your text comments. Question: I have a 2000 LC with the six CD changer. Will I have to give this up if I install the Alpine nav system? I think the 98 LC and 2000 LC have a slightly different dash board configuration. Good job.
  • jawandajawanda Member Posts: 30
    Where would you guys recommend posting a used vehicle on the web? I used auto trader, any other obvious ones that I'm missing?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Edmunds Used PowerShopper

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message B
  • johnc1johnc1 Member Posts: 3
    On my 99 Landcruiser, the key with integral alarm remote has a limited range (30 feet with new battery installed). The key remote is weak compared to other Toyota or Lexus products. Most Toyotas come with the alarm remote seperate from the key. Lexus keys with integral alarm and Toyota remotes usually have a much greater range than the Landcruiser key (up to 100 feet, typical). Has anybody out there figured out a way to improve the range of the Landcruiser Key?