Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Taurus/Sable Transmission Problems

Comments

• djcriple420djcriple420 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 merc sable ls premium it has 173K miles which i realize is a lot. Not all the time, but occasionally i will put the car in to Drive and it will go but from going from 1st to 2nd gears (it is an auto) the car revs up and does not shift right away then sort of SLAMS into gear. and it is only from the starting gears. Once i get moving i have no issues. ANY suggestions?
  • rhtransrhtrans Member Posts: 84
    The second gear clutches are one of the weakest links in this unit. To much clutch clearance in second (burnt) usually causes that if all other gears are ok and there are no codes stored in the computer. Most likely it's getting time for a new unit.
  • kevmokevmo Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 (DOHC) Sable missed ocassionally on the highway. It does not throw an engine code, and typically misses between 50-65 miles an hour resulting in a hard "jerk" like feeling. I replaced the plugs, and did find that one of the ignition coils was bad and replaced that as well. The shop can't find anything else wrong although they suspect it may be a sensor. Any ideas? I really don't want to begin trial replacement of parts, but the miss really sucks. Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Kevin
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
  • kimnbradkimnbrad Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 Ford Taurus...All of a sudden this morning, it wont go out of PARK!!!
    Any ideas? I am hoping its not the whole tranny...need a miracle I am going to assume...So if you know anything about these cars...any advice will be helpful!!
    Never had any problems w/it...fluid is good and clean.
    The only problem that we can figure...is when you accelerate...it jumps. Not everytime..but if you really try to accelerate suddenly...like on the freeway ..changing lanes quickly...or if you accelerate too quickly at a light or stop sign...
    Please...can anyone tell me what might be going on?? I already got screwed by the guy who sold it to me...so honest advice only... :confuse: :mad: :(:cry: :sick: Also it seems it is blowing fuses all of a sudden too... :lemon:
  • whitedove1968whitedove1968 Member Posts: 5
    first question is where do you live? and was it cold this morning? let the car warm up and it should go..secondly, how does the engine run? if it runs well, a rebuild of the transmission would be a good idea. the common problem with those cars (i have one-and have had to do this) is that the forward piston goes out in the transmission. there is an upside being that the 3.0 in those cars is supposedly one of the best out there. (i also have one of these). my engine has about 150k miles on it but runs great!! i paid $700 for my car..i had some problems with the main brainbox cracking because it had been tightened down too much and the car would arbitrarily cut the fuel off, and then would start again after a little while (sometimes an hour, sometimes a day). this was diagnosed with a computer analysis..all in all, i love my car. it runs great and i get good mileage per gallon. hope this helps. search around. i'm sure there's a good tranny mechanic that can rebuild it for about $1000. if you know someone who can do this for you, they sell a rebuild kit for the tranny. ok. let me know if you need more info. i live in illinois. bye
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    Hi, Just ran across your post. My 2001 has the 24V DOHC. Last year, a couple of times, my son said the car would stall when he put in into drive. He said it didn't stall if he put it in reverse.(he was a new driver--so maybe operator error??) I can't remember if it did anything else weird at the time, I think it did stall once or twice as he pulled out at a light. Anyhow, I replaced the Idle Air Control Valve. I don't know what was the problem, but it hasn't done it since.

My question has to do with whether he could have the cracked forward piston you mentioned. Could it act up and then go away?? I mean, could it still be the actual cause of last year's problems....just waiting to show up again?

Main reason to care is that if this car has a tran problem there is no point to buying the new rims he wants to get. Don't want him putting $ into it only to have it die. It's a 2001 SEL w/94000 miles.
  • raydog2raydog2 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what was going on with your car? I have a 2002 Sable that is doing the very same thing. Slowly getting worse. I put in in reverse in the morning and it just doesn't want to go. Its severity changes each day.
  • kimnbradkimnbrad Member Posts: 2
    yes! the backlights were out...brake...so it would not go into any gear!!
    That is all that was wrong with my silly car!
    Check the fuses and lights...
    Good luck!
    Kim
  • mratajczakmratajczak Member Posts: 2
    Have check engine light on took it auto zone to check. tester said shift circuit malfuntion. Does this mean all i need is a new circuit if so how do i know which one?
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    no it means you need to further investigate that code. take your car to a trans shop that does free road test and diagnosis and find out what the real codes are ..autozone uses a generic code retriever to pull codes there is more codes hidden yet that tell exactly which circuit the pcm is seeing as defective
  • mratajczakmratajczak Member Posts: 2
    computer says shift selenoid problem. car wont shift into 4th gear. or could this be a range sensor? where are they located?
  • leej56leej56 Member Posts: 1
    how do you replace the sway bar links :confuse:
    shift solenoids are located in the side pan of the transmission.removal of this side pan dang near requires complete removal of the trans. but it can be done in the car.if the range sensor is bad the pcm would have returned a mlps code of some sort
  • skinnyguyskinnyguy Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1994 tauras, the tranny will shift into all gears some days and others it will only hit 2nd gear. i have changed the filter and fluid but still no change. can any one help?
    take your car to a local tranny shop that does free roadtests and diagnosis have them pull the history codes and freeze frames but it sounds to me like a sensor flaking out like a manual lever position sensor. which if you get repaired immediately should not result in any major repairs.
  • jerryparksjerryparks Member Posts: 3
    My '95 Taurus Trans will not shift into lst gear easily when I start out. After
    rev up the motor, it will finally engage. But after I stop, I have to start over
    with the same procedure. It shiftsfine in all other gears. I've changed the
    fluid and filter. Car only has 99k miles and motor runs excellent.
    axode transmissions in the earlier years had an aluminum forward clutch piston that would crack and give the concern you are describing normally the forward piston will be cracked or the wave spring in the drum broken to pieces and is stacked up under the forward clutch and is binding the forward clutch apply ...either way im sorry to say it sound like its time for an o/h
  • orcharddudeorcharddude Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 mercury sable ls, vulcan engine w/ 124k on original powertrain and I am experiencing similar problems to the previous post by djcriple420. I have had fairly regular flushes, and just changed the filter on the tranny just recently, although the shifting has improved significantly, it still shifts harder than it should like it's extending the shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and then shifting somewhat harder into gear. I am not rough on the car, and performed all regular maintanence. It pulls no codes when hooked to a scanner. I would like to get another 40k-50k out of the car, do you have any recommendation on what this could be? Any similar experiences? Do i need a rebuild? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    harsh shifts in this unit can be related to worn out valves in the valve body normally with every overhaul i install new boost valve and sleeve and also converter bypass valve since these valve cycle a bunch they wear down and leak by the valves. this can be done without removing the trans from the car as what is called a valve body service it still consists of a lot of work for trans shop 2-3 hrs labor at least but possibly can avoid major overhaul if you get the valves fixed

look at www.sonnax.com your trans id will be AX4S/AXODE/AX4N
    you will find a number of replacement valves listed for your transmission there
  • muncymuncy Member Posts: 10
    i have a 1996 ford taurus with a bad transmission i have a spare one out of a 1999 taurus only diff i see is the little grey box on the gear shift control can i change that box to work with my spare
    depends he replacement units gear ratio there are 1/2 dozen gear ratio's out there and if you get the wrong gear ratio'd trans in the car it will failsafe (2nd gear) because the pcm is seeing the wrong gear speeds
  • rix444rix444 Member Posts: 6
    I have 2 tarurus', both '97, both having trouble
    car 1) I drive this everyday and never have had a problem. Leaving work, I backed out of my spot, put it in drive, moved a foot, heard a slight clunk and nothing. Won't drive forward or backward. I can shift through all gears, car will roll in neutral, it will roll in any gear, parking cog functions properly. It's up on my hoist, pan is off, no pieces of metal. What next? I've checked all fuses. Nothing is blown and nothing says 'transmission'

car 2) bought this at an auction. put the car in drive and after 10 to 15 seconds it will start to move. it will drive 'sluggishly' but never come out of first gear. I've replaced the oil and filter. I have no knowledge of the history of this vehicle. It acts like the pump is not putting out enough pressure, or the converter is shot. Maybe everything is just gummed up. If i want to check pressures, what should I expect? I can tap the lines to the cooler.

Please comment on either or both. Any suggestions will help.
  • happyland29happyland29 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased 2003 Taurus SEL w/88k. Don't know the history of vehicle, but appears to have been well maintain.When backing out the other morning, I notice a pancake size oil spill on the driveway. After inspecting the underside of vehicle, I noticed some transmission oil around the filler tube at the place it enters the transmission casing. Wiped it clean. The same thing the next day when starting up and shifting into reverse. Did noticed that there was signs of oil around the filler cap and down the tube. This only happens after car has been parked for several hours or overnight. I'm now starting the car, while in neutral, waiting a few seconds before shifting into reverse. This seems to have stopped the leakage, as I can't find any evidence of any fluid in those areas. The fluid level is right in the center of the hatch marks on the dip stick. I'm puzzled, has anyone out there experenced any such thing or knows of anyone that ever experenced this. I'm fearful of bad things to come.......It's my first Ford, and I read these dreadful comments on Ford trannys...have I made a mistake ?
    car 1 issue broken pump drive. if car wont move either forward or reverse

car 2 tapping cooling lines will do no good. line pressure tap is located on top of channel plate under aircleaner small 7/16 tap bolt on front end of plate close to wiring harness use 0-300 psi guage to check line pressure if you use smaller guage it will be destroyed line pressure should be close to 65 psi at idle in drive and 150- or so at stall rev should be 125 psi at idle and 250-300 at stall
    I had the same thing happen last night on my 2000 DOHC Mecury Sable. The car had sat for two days, and all I did was pull it ahead 5 feet in the driveway, when I noticed a large amount of tranny fluid on the ground. From what I've been able to research on the net I think this occurs when the tranny vent and/or cooling lines are plugged. Either way- it's going to the shop.... any luck wiht yours??
  • whitedove1968whitedove1968 Member Posts: 5
    find out if anyone added fluid to the car. unlike the engine, the transmission has an overflow hole which allows for excess fluid to leak out. your oil pan could have a leak in it. this is a larger problem because in some cars the engine must be lifted to remove this. sometimes, especiallly if they are damaged, can rust through. or it could be a simple gasket. good luck.
  • brokenfordsbrokenfords Member Posts: 1
    i have a 94 taurus 3.0 wagon..... tranny will not shift past 2nd(auto with o.dplzzz advize
    does the trans neutral in 3rd gear?
  • jayldee2jayldee2 Member Posts: 1
    Q: Went out and started car went to put it into reverse and the lunged backwards and stopped. Upon investigation, while engine is running the car will go into all gears but the park will not release. With the engine off and key in on pistion park will release. So.....why wont park release while engine is running?????? Please help!!!!!
  • rogerb34rogerb34 Member Posts: 30
    87 Sable AXOD failed at 88k miles years ago. Tranny overhaul plus new engine mounts about $2k. Had 152k when car sold to family for $1 in 2008. "New" Sable was 2005 LSPrem with 24.5k AX4N tranny. Last of the AXOD line. I did service on 87 after tranny rebuild every 20k. PITA because no drain plug. Gasket seal also a problem solved only with NAPA seal. AX4N Ford service is 30k. Mine is color test or max 20k. Color test is simple drop of fluid on paper towel and check color against recommended Mercon drop. If dark or significantly dark then service. Same no plug with the AX4N but has a semi-permanent gasket meaning multiple services same gasket. Caution: Do not overtorque the bolts. Just 9 ft lb. Ford included a 2 inch magnet to pick up ferris debris. I added 5 30 lb quarter sized magnets. Service is key but expect overhaul 125k if lucky. It's a FORD!
  • carll227carll227 Member Posts: 1
    while driving down road speedometer quit and od light keeps flashing, and car shifts harder. have driven it back and forth to work about 10 miles and notice it is getting worse?
  • mjf54rmjf54r Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2003 ford Taurus with 93k. Has the Transmission fluid changed at 30k and 60 k. Just had the same thing happen to me. The car sat a week, went to pull it out of the garage and left a puddle of transmission fluid. Looks like the leak is in the same place you described. It has not done it again but I have not let the car sit. Did you ever find out where the leak was coming from?
    Thanks for your help
  • tony2x43tony2x43 Member Posts: 4
    I HAVE A 2001 TAURUS WITH A 3.0 V6 12VALVE. I NOTICED I HAVE TRANS FLUID LEAKING FROM BELL HOUSING. COULD THIS BE FROM OUTPUT SHAFT SEAL ON TRANS.? ANYONE EVER EXPIERENCE THIS?
  • vsteudlevsteudle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Sable that my son went mudding in now it will go into 1st,neutral, and reverse but not 2nd or 3rd. I took it to a shop and all they could tell me was what I already knew. They told me that it would be $400 to drop it and tell what is wrong then it could be as much as $1600. I don't want to spend that much on it, it may only be worth that much.. Any info thank you
  • milo066milo066 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Sable wagon, 32valve engine 91,000 miles now. The engine revs go up around 100 rpm (based on the tachometer) for a second or so every so often (minute or more between occurrences). I only noticed this because the muffler was leaking (muffler patched now so I hardly notice this increase in revs) and I could hear the noise change (pitch goes up with the revs). This happens on any road but most noticeable while traveling on the highway, could be driving level road or uphill doesn't seem to change occurrence. I have no check engine light or other indicators that there is a problem. I changed the fluid/filter and when that didn't help I added Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fix ~2000 miles ago, no change with that. Could it be torque converter lockup going out or tranny slipping? Next I was going to add the Lucas AT additive. The car runs great otherwise...
  • krogers66krogers66 Member Posts: 3
    The car has just had the tranny rebuilt, but the tach worx VERY intermittently and only when it does, will the car go into O/D. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue other than replace the tranny? :mad:
    Where does the speed sensor go into the tranny? Is it on the backside or top or where? :confuse:
  • rogerb34rogerb34 Member Posts: 30
    You most likely have an electrical connect to the tranny issue. Take it back to have it checked. The tach is electrical and not mechanically connected. The no shift into OD suggests an electrical connection problem tranny to the power train control module.
  • ewashingtonewashington Member Posts: 5
    I AM HAVING TROUBLE PUTTING TRANSMISSION FLUID IN MY 2002 TAURUS, IT IS NOT IN FRONT, I BELIEVE I AM LOOKING OVER IT, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Look for a small, yellow 'T' handle between the engine and firewall of the vehicle on the tranny side.
  • ewashingtonewashington Member Posts: 5
    i will check, do all taurus have a engine that sits on its side, so that would make it a front wheel drive
  • ninerhuskerninerhusker Member Posts: 1
    speedometer quit working on 98 taurus, does it have a cable or censor?
  • stinger146stinger146 Member Posts: 2
    my tranny coolant line is leaking right where it slips in radiator i took radiator out line has little give where it connects is that normal any ideas it looks ok
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    Have recently been having droplets on driveway, every few days, about 4 in a circular sort of pattern, in the center of the engine area about under the trans pan.. This week my hubby moved car from top of driveway where there's about a 20 degree inlcine down to the bottom where it's about a 45 degree incline. (car was cold-just moving it to get his truck out)

2 hours later there is a long slick about 10 feet long by 2 feet wide....I assume it's trans fluid because we've had occasional small leaks before. I know it's not as much as it looks due to spreading (a cup of water matched the spill size after a few minutes) Also seems to originate under the center of the engine area, maybe slightly to the passenger side.

I was thinking it's this leak that shows itself every month or sometimes waits 2 months and leaves a puddle/spot dinner plate sized. Never solved it, level doesn't get too low. OKAY BAD ME PART..it's my son's car and he hasn't had a chance to check it...when he gets home he shuts it off without checking, and when I remember he's on the way out. I did check it cold and it was a good 4inches up the stick or more, so it's not empty....(been about 3 days-not a lot of driving)

Could it be coolant? I think the coolant is red too and we've not checked it since having it changed 18 months ago. I read the way to fill it is through a plastic jug thing under the hood. I recall seeing it, and I don't recall seeing ANY fluid in it. SHOULD I????

Is it possible this is a coolant problem?

Either way, why did whatever it is not spill while just sitting in the driveway overnight? It just appeared after the car was moved about 30 feet backward, downhill. Son has not reported any problems whatsoever driving it.

Plan to make him visit trans shop for fluid change and check. (school and work make it hard-but I will stay on him) Car bought at 84K and now has about 102K. Last trans service was before we bought it, but trans shop didn't think it needed change when we had it in for a leak (o-ring in dipstick tube was all he found wrong then) I suppose it could use it anyhow. He's selling it soon.

Thoughts? Thanks
  • icemanstoneicemanstone Member Posts: 5
    I have a friend who owns a 1998 Taurus with shifting problems. It will shift from first at around twenty five mph instead of sifting into second it jumps right to third and around 25mph it will down shift to second then try to shift again. Mean while her tach is runing at around two thousand rpm. She took it to a tranny shop and all he could tell her was that the tranny is the original one and that apparently no repairs have been done on it. Has anyone had a similar experience? If so what were or are the solutions. The fluid is ok and that is about all I can say at this time. If I get more info from her I will add it to tis post, but in the meantime any help out there?

Thanks in advance
  • micheldbmicheldb Member Posts: 3
    On my 96 Taurus LX 24V, I noticed two issues occurring lately. When I am stopped at a light, the idling will jump quickly from 600-700 RPMs to 1K, back down to 400 RPMs and then go back to the 600-700 RPMs. This happens once, on occasion twice at a light. When I put it in Park, it doesn't do that. It seems to happen only after 10 min of driving and not right after having started the car.
    The second issue is that when I'm in first gear, when I accelerate, the engine will rev for a second (the car will have no power) and then drive fine. It only happens, when I'm in first gear, or if I slow down around a curve. Otherwise, the transmission shifts beautifully in all gears, acceleration and deceleration.

My car has been leaking engine oil significantly for the last two months from the upper part of the engine and the mechanic said that it would not be cheap to replace the seals leaking around the chain area. But, would the two things be related? Does it seem like a transmission issue? Any help would be appreciated.
    Michel
  • micheldbmicheldb Member Posts: 3
    Problem fixed. I was low almost 4 quarts of ATF. Now the car runs smooth and all the problems are gone. I may have a transmission leak, I'll have that checked out.
  • jerryparksjerryparks Member Posts: 3
    My original '95 3.0 eng trans went bad and I finnaly found another used one
    like the original. What is the proper procedure for removing the trans on a '95
    Taurus?