Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Patriot Maintenance and Repair

deercroftdeercroft Member Posts: 1
Just wondering if anyone knows of custom fuel tank (BIGGER) that I can get for my Patriot. Love the vehicle otherwise but needs more range--a true off-road vehicle will consume lots of fuel when doing 4X4ing. My old Jeep Cherokee could do 550-600 km when doing a mix of hwy and 4X4ing. The Patriot will only do 300-350 km under such conditions--barely acceptable. I regularly find myself in remote areas with no gas station in sight! Even 10 l (2.5 US gal) bigger would help.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the spot to talk about keeping your Patriot humming along.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    I would like to hear from someone who has bought one. We are ready to buy one, but want to get as much information before we sing on the line.

Farout
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    I tried getting one for a song also, but they wanted $$$.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    The Patriot is less expensive than the Compass. I found out why for the same items like 26e package on the Patriot is $1450. to $1050. the compass it $1650 to $1850. depending onthe date the vehicle was made. The reason it the Patriot is the entry vehicle for Jeep. But they both have the same interior, but a few more up grades. I like the Patriot and my wife likes the Compass. The Compass is slightly more aerodynamic and the Patriot has a blunt front end and a windshield that is more vertical. I think we are just about ready to make a choice, as DCX is in a buy back with us on our Liberty CRD. So soon we will have to make a choice. We will proberly choose the Compass because I screwed up getting this CRD lemon, need to redeem myself.

Farout
  • jreed4jreed4 Member Posts: 1
    There is no forum for Prices Paid and Lease Questions yet. Wanting to lease a 2007 Patriot Sport 4x4 but not sure if there are any incentives right now or wait till July 4 - maybe some specials then. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks!
  • nowherman6nowherman6 Member Posts: 2
    Go to jeep.com and look at special offers for your area. In my area (NJ) the special on the Pat Sport 4X4 is $239, $1999 down for 39.

All in all Jeep isnt offering much in the way of incentives with the Patriot because it's a pretty good seller for them and most places don't have a ton in stock (compared to the GC anyway...)

Your best bet is to head to a dealer this weekend and try to work something out. It's the end of the month so you can get a good deal, plus the '08 should be out around August, so they should be more willing to move the '07s at this point.
  • garthfan1061garthfan1061 Member Posts: 5
    I recently was 4x4-ing with my "now-not-so brand new" '07 Patriot with Freedom Drive II. Yes, with only 1,638 miles on it, it is in the shop for some front-end repair. :sick: Going about 10 MPH, we dove straight into a 4' deep by 6' wide ravine. After pulling it out, we took a look at the damage. The driver's side front corner was the only area affected, cracking the plastic bumper covers, slightly tweaking the fender, and putting a small crimp in the 7 slot grill front. There were a few more things inside the engine compartment that will need repair, but absolutely no damage to any engine components. Total estimate: $1,277. I know it'll end up being more, which I will post once I pick it up. All I can say is that without the EXCELLENT skid plate system on the front end, I probably wouldn't have been able to drive it home.
  • johnwayne711johnwayne711 Member Posts: 4
    Picked it up at the shop after the repairs were all done. A nice bill totaling $2,387 was waiting for me when I went to get the keys. That's almost double my estimate! OUCH! :cry: It's amazing how a small impact like that can cost so much... Anyway, if you plan on actually using your brand new Jeep off of the pavement, I'd recommend a nice brush guard and any other items that will protect the oh-so-expensive body of your vehicle.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I'm considering a new Patriot, but one of the items I'd like to have is the Trailer Tow Group, which includes an engine oil cooler. I'm having a hard time finding a vehicle with this package plus the other items I'm interested in, so I'm wondering if anyone knows how easy it might be to add an engine oil cooler, either by the dealer or self-installed?
  • newjeepgirl1newjeepgirl1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone out there know if you can buy door trim for the 08 Patriots? I want to protect the doors from dings. Also interested in any other accessories that are available. Really like my new Patriot. :D
    I've only had mine for a little over a day thus far, so can't offer too many specifics on accessories. Other than mopar.com I've done a little looking around at justforjeeps.com and allthingsjeep.com. You may have also found jeeppatriot.com, which seems to be a good source of info.

Somewhere in my surfing around this morning I'd run across a Mopar coupon for something like $25 off a purchase of $200 or more, but now I can't seem to find it. I need a good set of floor mats, a receiver hitch, and maybe a set of molded splash guards..pretty sure most of my Christmas gifts this year are going to be Jeep-themed!! :)
  • jeepster33jeepster33 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2007 Jeep Patriot North Ed. (only available in Canada). When I open a rear door window (or both) I experience a severe vibration that sounds like I am driving on rumble strips.
    It is bad enough to cause hearing problems for anyone who is sitting in the back seats.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Please contact me and I will explain further.
    Off-hand, it sounds like good old helicopter noise:

tidester, "Volvo XC90 SUV" #930, 3 Jan 2003 9:19 pm
  • bgirtonbgirton Member Posts: 1
    I've experienced this in Hondas . When you crack open a rear window your ears are sensing pressure waves from the incoming air, and feel like they're about to pop. Crack open a front window and it stops. I guess it happens in cars that are well sealed??
  • jeepster33jeepster33 Member Posts: 3
    What speed do you experience the vibration? How bad is it? Does it happen when both rear windows are open? What did your Dealer say.? Chrylser Canada calls it wind buffetting. Last Wednesday was a very windy day and the wind was strong enough to cause my Patriot to shift position in my lane. This is wind buffeting! The day before was a nice calm day and my vibration begin at speeds around 40 kph.

Do you live in the GTA? We could go for a ride in each others vehicle to experience the problem. :lemon:
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Have this same issue with my 05 Vibe. Found that certain types of road surfaces also contribute to it.
  • mrjakemrjake Member Posts: 27
    I just bought my '08 Patriot 4WD, but did not get the wheel and tire package as I am going to shop for some 17" after-market wheels. I want to match the size of the factory 17" wheels to avoid any problems, and know that I need 17"x 6.5", but does anyone know the offset measurement of the factory 17' wheels? or where I can find out more info. Also, if anyone has found some good after-market wheels for their Patriot, let me know.
  • baldhill37baldhill37 Member Posts: 9
    That is normal on ALL SUV's
    You also need to open the front door window
  • jp2008jp2008 Member Posts: 1
    Less than 10,000 km, front pads replace under warranty. I am
    Licenced Interprovincial Mechanic, Class 1 DL, am the only driver,
    do not ride the brakes, standard transmission, FWD only, dealer advised
    nothing wrong. Anyone had the front pads checked or replaced
    with very low KM?????? Please advise . Thank you.
    I turned over 4,444 miles today and haven't had any brake issues thus far...haven't noticed any postings about brake problems on other Patriot-related forums, so not aware of there being any issues with the brakes. Since the Patriot is FWD and most of the weight is on the front wheels, I know the front discs do most of the work...could be there might be a problem with your rear brakes not working properly, which is forcing the fronts to do ALL the work, and wearing prematurely.
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    I thought I found the OEM/Mopar engien oil cooler was only like $50 plus labor.
    I haven't been able to find one that cheap. Prices I've seen have been closer to $150 plus labor, which involves replacing the radiator hoses. If I could find a new one for $50 I'd probably jump on it.
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    Hmm, further research suggests the engine oil cooler kit is $132. Here is a detailed DIY install of it along with other stuff. Here is soemone looking to jus tadd the oil cooler. Note, part number is 1 digit different than first link. I don't know if it's manual vs. CVT.
  • swt2swt2 Member Posts: 1
    Off-road Capabilities of 5 speed 4X4:
    Compared to a Wrnglr(a 10) and a TrlRtd, off-road CVTL Pat(a ?), how does a 5 spd 4X4(5X4X4) Pat measure up(a ?).

Does the 5X4X4 have the same drive wheel distribution system as the TrlRtd Pat where the wheel on the ground always gets the power?

What is the Frdm Drv 1(5X4X4) first gear ratio X final drive ratio on the ground ratio? How low is 5X4X4 low? Compared to the CVTLX4X4 low? I figure <15:1 compared to 19:1. What is possible w/that ratio?

Is there an advantage to using a CVT4X4 vrs a 5X4X4 in off-road conditions?

Does anybody have any off-road experience w/ a 5X4X4 or a CVT4X4?

Thanks, SWT
  • dastilesdastiles Member Posts: 6
    I just drove my 2009 Pat home from the dealer and had my wife start the engine when she got behind the wheel. The engine died and would not start or turn over. When it started it would quickly die. Then it would not turn over. I left it for 5 minutes came back out and it started fine. This is some voodoo crap on a car with just 19 miles! Is there some on the engine that keeps it from starting? I checked that it was in parks and even pressed the brake pedal down. I'm bummed out here! Any squak about engine starting problems I should be aware of? Thanks all.
  • sirius4444sirius4444 Member Posts: 1
    I've never owned a Jeep before and will never buy another ONE.
    Between 60mph-70mph on a 5 speed manual transmission
    my vehicle emits a high pitch noise that takes me back to my youth A friend of mine had a few mice for pets he built this elaborate maze of cages and in the middle was this giant wheel were the mices could run 360 degrees in the wheel {THATS THE SOUND} OF COURSE JEEP IS AWARE ABOUT THE PROBLEM
    and eventually a fix will be in the works {tell me another story
    easter bunny i sure miss those tales}AND for comfort ,they said hey at least you got 100,000 mile warranty
    Wow wow wow eagerly waiting to buy my next vehicle from some other I DONT CARE car company
    Turns out I was using the black non-security key. Perusing the users manual correct that noob mistake.
    Well that never would have occurred to me. Thanks for the update!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Why would you get a key that didn't start the car? Isn't that a bit counterproductive. :sick:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    really feel about them? I mean, all I read from the reviews (edmunds, consumer reports, etc.) is that they really trail behind the likes of honda, toyota, and others. How does the engine and transmission work together -- enough power for a full load or lacking? Interior/exterior quality? any warranty issues with Chrysler and does the lifetime power train/transmission warranty still exists and will it now since the bankruptcy? Just would like some honest opinions.
    Thanks!
    I'm pretty happy with mine. It's a gas saver, got a classic Jeep look and the 158 horses gets me around just fine. Not bad for the 15,500 I paid for it. I think the GAMA world engine is strong and the CVT tranny is responsive. I could have plucked down a few more thousand for a Honda or Scion but this Pat's got a look of it's own.

Plus the powertrain warranty will be one less headache.
  • johnwayne711johnwayne711 Member Posts: 4
    37,000 miles and no real complaints about ours. I've had it in a couple times for minor warranty work and they've been more than accomodating. As far as the warranty still existing after bankruptcy, it is REQUIRED that either the government or the car company still honor the warranty that you get with your vehicle= no worries down the road with the powertrain. I put a hitch on mine and have pulled around my & my wife's motorcycles a few times (1,300 lbs total, w/ trailer) and have no complaints. The engine does run at a higher RPM but it doesn't seem to have any problems. Also, I take the Freedom Drive II 4x4 Pat to work when it snows instead of my 4X4 truck- it is AMAZING in the snow. I've not once felt unstable in it in inclement weather. All in all, we really like the versatility of the Pat. PLENTY of room for us, the dogs, and all of our gear for an extended trip. Gas mileage is a big plus, and you can't beat an unlimited warranty on the powertrain. Just make sure you get the one you want and that you plan on keeping it for a while- resale value on these is lacking!
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    thank you for your replies! I appreciate you taking time for this. You both seem to reaffirm my thoughts that the actual owners are happy with their purchase. I think the Pat. is unique from the rest of the small suv's, as well, making it more eye-catching than the others. I've never owned any Jeep product and have actually always hailed Toyota, but they seem to out-price my income. I might just have to go for a test drive in one! :)
  • profrubydprofrubyd Member Posts: 1
    I had a scary event happen and the dealereships can't id. the problem. I was on a trip and after taking a break and restarting my car, it started to sputter, especially going uphill. It got worse and turned into "bucking". I was a long way from any town, so I kept going. After a while, it started to accelerate and the tach climbed. The car was at 10K ft. bucking and accellerating uphill with the engine racing and the tach flying up to 5500 rpm. When we leveled off, the sputtering continued and the engine raced. I could feel a surge. I put the car in neutral and hit the breaks. The breaks were hard and did not respond. I put it in neutral and turned off the key. It took 3 hard tugs on the E-brake to stop. I thought the engine was going to blow up. The dealership nearby has had it for 3 days and can't find anything wrong. Apparently it did not even register in the computer.
    Has anyone out there had a similar problem???
    I am afraid to drive the car. I have had it 100 days! It is still under warranty, but they can't find anything wrong!
    @profrubyd

Interesting problem you got there. I've had a couple of problem where the engine would not start... but after turning key all the way off and retrying .....every thing ok.
    It sounded like you had a sensor intermittent failure for sure and it had something to do with control fuel or air mixture. If you were going through a pass on a trip a barometric sensor may react that way. If it felt like you had "bad gas" I would look there. Do you remember your "check engine" light coming on at all? Good Luck
  • dbee2dbee2 Member Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem but was in New York during rush hour traffic. Did you notice any lights on? I had a warning light. I was able to pull off the road and turned the ignition off. When I started the car it was fine. I reached for the manual and the only thing I could find was something related to an electronic throttle control. That was the only time it happened. I have a 2007 Patriot with 81,000 miles. My problems now are all about the suspension.
  • dbee2dbee2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Patriot with 81,000 miles (yes I travel a lot). I started to hear a thumping and felt a wobble that at first I thought was related to tires. Turned out the car needed front end work - ball joints and control arms. But the noise only got worse. Went to a different dealer - one that didn't charge $120 just to take it around the block. Learned that the right rear ball joint was shot. When they took the tire and rotor off, the rust of the hub was so bad it stripped threads and I now await a new axle. This is insane for a car that is just 3 years old. I had a Cherokee for years, my step son now drives that and it's close to 200,000 with no issues even close to this. What's up with the Patriot? Did they forget about the expectations and reputation of Jeeps? Has anyone else experienced similar suspension issues. Should I unload the car, and if I do is there a new Jeep model that lives up to the old reputation?
  • catncalcatncal Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Went to buy a 2010 Jeep Patriot today. Saw my first one 2 days ago, loved the look. Did the research on it, decided to buy if test drive went OK and trying to do my part to &#147;buy American&#148;. Liked everything about it, height, power, size etc, except rear headrests. About 3 blocks into the test drive, I told the salesman I need to pull over and remove the back seat headrests because when I look over my right shoulder to merge, all I see is the 12 inch tall headrest and that blocking of my view is dangerous, (I have them off in my current vehicle as well). He said they are fixed, part of the seat and they can't be removed. This is a change in the 2010 Patriot and it was done for "safety" reasons. What !?. This is definitely not a safety feature for me. This is another example of things being built for men and not taking into account the size and proportions of women, and why we need women engineers as well. The specifics in this case are: Men are short in the leg and long in the trunk; women are long in the leg and short in the trunk. A 6'2" man and 5'8" woman will both wear a 32" pant leg. Likewise when a 5' 8" man and woman are seated, the man will have a head height 4" taller than the woman.(Men also have longer arms than women of the same height, hence his ability to lounge the car seat back and still reach the radio whereas she has to sit upright) This extra seated height gives him the ability to see over that head rest where my eyes hit just about center. You would think design engineers would be aware of these differences, after all any tailor or seamstress knows this. Anyhow, frustration and disappointment aside, the question is, can anything be done about the headrests, like would it be possible to switch out the seats and put a back seat from a 2009 Patriot that has removable headrests in the 2010 instead ? Any ideas, anyone ? :(
  • trek87trek87 Member Posts: 49
    edited August 2010
    I suggest either putting the back seat down that's obstructing your view, or reclining the backseat backward (you can do both in the 2010 Patriot). Otherwise, try adjusting your side-view mirror to look more toward the back corner of the vehicle - this will move your blind spot farther away from your car and you won't have to look back at such as extreme angle (allowing you to check your blind spot more easily through the rear passenger window).

I'm 5'7" (barely); my wife is 5'0". Neither of us experience any difficulty in our 2010 Patriot. Good luck.
    I got my 2009 and I get that same thumping noise on the rare occasion. I stop the care and It goes away. It sounds like I got a rock or something on the wheel. A steady dull thump,thump,thump...... and increases with road speed and not engine speed. SOB driving me nuts trying to locate.
  • seeless85seeless85 Member Posts: 2
    Need to change spark plugs on my '08 patriot. What should I know, how many, torque, gap, what kind? Is there one kind for ignition and another for exhaust? Have heard about 4 copper for ignition and 4 platinum for exhaust, is this true? Does anyone know of a repair manual for the patriot out there? Any help would be appreciated.
  • jrinmnjrinmn Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    There are 4 plugs on the top of the block. EASILY accessible. Remove the plastic shroud on top and there they are. Pull the plug boots and you'll be able to get your socket over them. Give them a few light tweaks to see if they'll break loose easily. If not, tweak them IN just a fraction of a turn, then try again to remove them. Don't apply too much pressure to a stubborn plug if it won't come out- you run a good chance of breaking the plug loose from the threads which will be expensive to fix. Be sure to use anti-seize lubricant on the new ones when you install them.

As for which plugs to buy, any auto parts store that's worth a darn will be able to get you the right kind you need. I wouldn't recommend anything fancy (ie: 2 or 4 post plugs) as they showed zero improvement over the factory ones in my experience with the Patriot. Plus, you'll likely be replacing them in 30,000 miles again, so the extra cost is REALLY not worth it. Save a few bucks and get yourself a set of basic, one-post plugs and you'll be fine.
  • seeless85seeless85 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks alot for the input! You made my work and decision making alot easier!
    I realize you've probably already changed your spark plugs, but I did read somewhere that the copper plug work better in this situation, so there's no need to spend extra $$ for platinum or whatever. Apparently the copper perform better, but don't last as long...but they're so easy to replace and inexpensive, it's easier/better to change them out regularly than go with something longer lasting (that won't perform as well).
  • pal10pal10 Member Posts: 1
    so far I have replaced 2 sensors, now the 3rd one has acted up after only 15 miles
  • anirenaniren Member Posts: 1
    I only have a little over 1000 miles on the new patriot and already the ETC light came on and blinking. I don't understand why it came on but I guess I gotta take the car to the shop tomorrow to see if they can find the problem. Not a good start of a possible Jeep lover. Could anyone out there tell me what could be the normal malfunctions with this vehicle???

Al :mad:
  • canadalawcanadalaw Member Posts: 1
    The Jeep Patriot is a useless piece of metal garbage. I bought a new one (2008) from a British Columbia dealership (Canada) in Vancouver and had nothing but chronic problems with the arrogance and ineptitude of the dealership and this stressful hunk of junk. We had it warranty fixed five times with various manual transmission gear chronic problems that were defective, lost confidence in the safety and reliabilty of the lame product and suffered enjoyment loss with immense frustration and down time from both this inane dealership and the head quarters company who merely endorses the action of the car lot in turning a blind eye to our chronic headaches that has victimized us for years. In Canada the government protects the crooked auto industry to the detriment of the consumer whereas, in the USA they have the "lemon aid" law that shields buyers from nauseating car problems and bullying tactics by the auto giants. This car is the worst vehicle I have ever owned and they put on cheap junk in this inferior product. The value of this unreliable vehicle, like all other Jeeps, plummets quickly as opposed to better quality suv's like the ford escape that retain their market value. I have no faith in Jeep Canada or useless programs like the Vehicle Sales Authority or CamVamp which is an arbritration board style body that convenes on disputes from customers with the cars and/or dealership. The Jeep Patriot is a lemon and many would not recommend it despite the Canadian government giving buyers a rebate for its gas consumption. There are chronic problems with manual transmissions with Jeep Patriots and other disgruntled consumers I spoke to had immense stress parallel to ours with multiple efforts to fix their inferior product that fails to live up to its promise and expectations in their promotions of this crap vehicle. It is poorly designed with cup holders on the floor (rear) and poor visibility (hummer like style) of windows for tall drivers with several blind spots which hinders driving habits such as looking to the rear over your right shoulder to see vehicles in the other lane. Quite frankly, the Patriot is a huge disappointment and I would not recommend the product, go to a competitor for something better as the Patriot like the Compass lacks class and dependability. Even the dealership put it in writing we suffered huge discomforts that are warranty defects and Jeep Canada, being spineless, looks the other way rather than make amends to a justifiably angry customer who has been victimized with safety and a peace of mind in a weak product that deserves the title "lemon". I hope Chrysler/Jeep goes down the gutter with their laughable service, joke product, aggressive sales tactics that has a very nasty reputation in this area and the deceit in their bogus claims.
    Man Canada.....sorry about your ride. May I ask how many miles on your pat? I have a 2009 with 17000 miles with a CVT tranny. So far so good. No codes, or any problems yet. Just a comment that when bought mine before Jeep dealership went bankrupt they sold my ride with lifetime warranty on engine and tranny. I would now only hope that the body lasts as long as the powertrain. I know my road is different than yours. If you can afford...perhaps a toyota or something else. Good luck
  • johndunnjrjohndunnjr Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Limited Model 2007 and she now has just over 25K on the clock and its a great running Jeep. Gas mileage is very good and its fun to drive. Now dont expect warp speed, but I can assure you, you can get a speeding ticket ! I did, but I still Love My Jeep !

Thanks

John Dunn
    VA BEACH, VA