Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Patriot Maintenance and Repair

2»

Comments

• elrlawelrlaw Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2012
    In August 2011 I bought a 2008 Patriot auto-trans w/58,000 miles; now it has 61,500. Check engine light's come on and per my mechanic code says tran's in "limp" mode. In much kinder words he says I'm screwed: car is likely suffering from a computer problem & an internal mechanical trans problem. Car drives but from a stop acceleration is very slow & top speed is about 40 (except on the downhill) & RPM's won't exceed approx 1800. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? What di you do? What are my options/alternative fixes? Will I end up having to buy a new transmission? I'm in the Chicago area. Many thanks.
  • borjas85borjas85 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I had tons of issues with my patriot and I had got the car new at dallas dodge and every time it was towed to the dealership they looked at me like I was the number one problem that the it was going back for repairs like 20 times in 6 months, yea I said it 20 times, ridiculous! I drove like all kinds of rental cars while my car was in the shop and dallas dodge paid for it and they would give me ISSUES that they had to or that it was very obvious that the car was a junk jeep, the messed up part about me bring my jeep pat back to the shop for repairs there was oil stains every were, and it was a new car. yea I paid 23,000$. For my jeep patriot, I sued Chrysler and won my case, oooh and if u wont a complete buy back from the dealership you need to make sure you get a lawyer with in the first year of purchase, new buyers only have 1 year to qualify for the buy back in the state of TX, but if you still want to sue then you can and that is what I did, I was 3 month to late for the buy back so I just sued for pain and what I went through with my jeep patriot and I won and got $ 5,500 and if you ask me it was better then not getting nothing, ooh and keep every single piece of paper work u get from the shop when getting repairs done. “Work orders” the lawyer will need this for the case and if anyone needs a lawyer I have one.

Alex Simanovsky & Associates LLC, 2300 Henderson Mill Rd, suite 300, Atlanta, Ga, 30345

Wish all the patriot owners the best!
  • dinorah1dinorah1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Patriot 2008 2X. Last week I had a light on (the engenie) I went with the dealer and they gave app two day later. At the next day the light went off, I call and they told me it was the gas tap maybe it was not correct close. Anyway now one week later I went to fill gas nearly full, I did 60 km all day and my gas is half. I am so worry what happen!! nearly half tank in 60 kms. Where can be the problem!!!
    Please help me!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2012
    No one experiencing stalling issues?

Feds investigate Jeep Patriot stalling problem ((Detroit Free Press))
  • amricnsoldramricnsoldr Member Posts: 3
    I am writing this so maybe this may help someone else with the same problem I experienced in my 2008 Patriot 4x4 2.4L CVT auto trans. While my wife was driving it the other day it sudden lost a significant amount of power and felt like it was running on 2 cylinders. The ESP traction control light and the ETC light came on but no check engine light. I had it towed back to the house and a friend of mine who is a Toyota mechanic and I looked it over. After gathering some info from various forums and connecting a dealer quality scanner to it we found the culprit: Water in the traction control harness connectors at the module.

Since it was new the factory sunroof has leaked constantly. It has been to the dealer 4 times but was never corrected. When the warranty was up we stopped taking it to the dealer mostly because of poor service and also because if those brain surgeons haven't fixed it in the first 4 times on their dime they aren't going to fix it on mine. Anyway, several forums stated the sunroof is an extremely common problem with these as is corrosion of the wire harness. We removed the drivers side kick panel and lifted the rug to check the harness and found about an inch of water in the floor pan, no surprise here. It has a drain plug so we pulled it so it could dry out. We followed the wires up to a silver module with two separate plugs going it by where your left foot would rest( you don't need to remove the kick panel to see it just stick you head under the dash ). This is the traction control module that communicates with the trans module AND the ECM. we unplugged the connector from the module and noticed some minor corrosion on the module pins but the big surprise is when we used compressed air to blow out the connectors. A ton of water blew out from both connectors! We then sprayed some of that electrical dry out spray on the pins and connectors and let it dry. About 10 mins later we plugged the connectors back in and started it up. It ran perfectly! Upon further inspection we came to the conclusion that judging from the visible rust behind the kick panel water was leaking from the sunroof and traveling down the drivers "A" pillar (windshield post), following the wires straight down into the connectors, dripping off and continuing on down to the floor where it collects under the rug. Drove it 40 miles to work today and no problems so far. This has been a problem child and only has 33k on it so we are definitely trading it in on a Toyota in a few days before this problem destroys the module and it gets really expensive. I hope this helps other Patriot owners!
    edited December 2012
    Thank you for your post (message #48.) Our 2008 Patriot suffers from the exact same problem only we don't even have a sun roof. The trouble shooting information you provided is much appreciated. Would it be possible for you to post links to the "various forums" from which you collected your additional information? Thank you!
  • amricnsoldramricnsoldr Member Posts: 3
    type in "Jeep Patriot loss of power" or "Jeep Patriot water in harness" in yahoo search engine and they all should come up. I personally don't think our sunroof was the problem I think either the windshield was leaking or more likely the roof rack hardware that secures the roof rack to the roof weren't sealed properly. The only way to find out for sure would be to drop the headliner and all the A, B, C, D pillar covers and put a hose on the roof and wait..a day after we fixed we traded it in on a new Toyota while it still ran correctly. Its a shame to see what jeep has become:( Good luck to you.
  • jeepster33jeepster33 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds good. Thanks.
  • david314david314 Member Posts: 3
    Unfortunately I bought a Jeep P N and it is not a true off road machine. at best it gets your groceries reliably when it snows. that's if the tranny and clutch and everything else works. I have owned cars for 35 years and never had the bad luck to own such an unreliable piece of rubbish, nor to have such inept service and diagnosis as I received from Comox Valley Dodge.
    I suggest you do as I will, and sell. at least before you have the issues I have had, unless you have a fondness for engine trouble lights that mean nothing, or something, nobody knows. Not sure if I will buy another 4x4 or get a car that is better on the highway, maybe look for an old Land Cruiser or something. But unless I shop out of town I will avoid that dealer, our only one, so no more abuse for me from them.
    Sell, before it disappoints. Leave her before she leaves you!
    Seriously, consider not getting this vehicle. It is a dog. Maybe the Liberty or other have merit but the jeep is rubbish.
    From my experience it is the inevitable slide into a pit of despair as your jeep patriot slowly decays into a useful and embarrassing lawn ornament. I am selling mine before it dies again, and the dealer abuses me further.

Unfortunately I bought a Jeep P N and it is not a true off road machine. at best it gets your groceries reliably when it snows. that's if the tranny and clutch and everything else works. I have owned cars for 35 years and never had the bad luck to own such an unreliable piece of rubbish, nor to have such inept service and diagnosis as I received from Comox Valley Dodge.
    I suggest you do as I will, and sell. at least before you have the issues I have had, unless you have a fondness for engine trouble lights that mean nothing, or something, nobody knows. Not sure if I will buy another 4x4 or get a car that is better on the highway, maybe look for an old Land Cruiser or something. But unless I shop out of town I will avoid that dealer, our only one, so no more abuse for me from them.
    Sell, before it disappoints. Leave her before she leaves you!

I own a '08 Jeep Patriot FWD w/75,000mi. It has a CVT. My transmission problem: It mysteriously goes into transmission "limp mode" for no apparent reason. By limp mode I mean RPMs won't exceed 1500 and unless going downhill car speed goes up very slowly to about 30 - 35 MPH. After stopping & starting the engine, it cures itself for a while before falling into limp mode again. By trial and error, I have found that I know immediately when it's in limp mode when I start because when first shifting from Park to Reverse, I feel the car clunk & shudder & I know it's in limp mode. When that happens (now 2 of every 3 times I start the car) I immediately put the car back in Park & then as quickly as I can, I turn the engine off & then turn it on again. Every time I go through that procedure the limp mode clears & the car then drives fine until the next time I shut down and have to restart.

Does anyone have thoughts about what's causing the transmission to frequently fall into limp mode. The CEL light comes on during or shortly after limp mode and then randomly goes off again or not. Thanks!

Further to my 8/4 message above, the check engine code is p0700 -- a general transmission code for which further communication with the transmission control module is necessary. But like I said, the limp mode only manifests itself on start-up, never while driving. And once I clear limp mode by re-starting, the car runs fine.