Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Audio Questions

north_eastnorth_east Member Posts: 3
I have not been able to display the title or track name of a CD. Has anyone else had this problem with the Base model system?
I have only used store purchased CD's.

Comments

• shady69xshady69x Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a 2003 G35 sedan with the Bose audio deck. It has a 6 disc in-dash changer that does not play CD-Rs, only original Compact Disk Digital Audio CDs(CDs released by record companys) and I was wondering if its possible to switch my deck out with a newer one, say 05 or 06 and have it remain OEM in appearance(I im assuming this problem has been corrected, plus MP3 capability would be great)?

ANY tips would be greatly appreciated.
  • leeg35leeg35 Member Posts: 2
    I don't believe store purchased CD's have that information encoded. When I add a CD to iTunes, the program consults an internet database using the CD ID number and looks up the title and track names. CDs burned in iTunes do show the title and track names on the base model CD player.
  • north_eastnorth_east Member Posts: 3
    leeg35,

thanks for getting back to me. I was able to find a CD that actually has the encoded data (Jill Scott. It appears that some have it and some dont. I'll create some new CD's this weekend via iTunes.
  • mattpsumattpsu Member Posts: 4
    is it really true that you cannot random play the hard drive? Thats kinda strange... I was hoping to use a compact flash card to fill it with MP3's and looking forward to random play. Can you create playlists?
  • hope3702hope3702 Member Posts: 15
    I would like to know the answer to this too...What can't you do when car is in motion? I had a lexus with nav and you couldn't put in an address while car was moving...I hated that...Does anyone know what you can't do with regards to stereo controls and nav while moving?
  • sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    I'm not totally sure about everything with the Music Box while moving since I haven't had much time to play with it yet. However, I do know that with the Navigation you can't enter an address via the screen while moving (unless it's in your address book or a quick stop, or something like that). However, you CAN enter destinations via the Voice Command while driving...kinda cool IMO. I think it's pretty much standard that all new vehicles with Navigation will not allow you to punch in numbers by hand while in motion due to safety concerns.
  • g35xbslaterg35xbslater Member Posts: 15
    I'll add 3 more notes here:
    1) The voice interface for entering an address while driving is wonderfully easy, intuitive, and accurate.

2) You can use map input (zoom/pan/touch the map) while driving to enter a destination, just not a numeric address.

3) The 2007 G, its performance, and its ergonomics aren't "perfect," but they're closer to it than anything else in or around its segment that I've seen (2007 IS, 3 Series, or TL.)
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    "I think it's pretty much standard that all new vehicles with Navigation will not allow you to punch in numbers by hand while in motion due to safety concerns."

I have an 06 Acura MDX - Fully Loaded Touring

There is absolutely NOTHING disabled in this car when I'm driving, including the capability to use the touch screen interface.

I'll admit though, it's not safe and I honestly feel that when using it, I should be watching the road more, and the screen less.

I usually let the wife do the typing.

Only when I'm alone do I use the voice commands.
  • buffaloesbuffaloes Member Posts: 24
    I cannot see anywhere in 2007 G35 Sedan brocure that there is a mini plug input for connecting my IPod on a non navi G35 sedan. I have a 2005 G35 Sedan, and was hoping to get my wife the 2007. She does not want satellite option since she does not drive much, but when we travel in her car, I at least want to plug in my Ipod. Can anyone confirm if the input exists on the non-navi version?
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Yes, it has the audio/video input but the video is only displayed when the car is in park position.
  • buffaloesbuffaloes Member Posts: 24
    Thanks, I have two follow up questions;
    1)Where is the input located?
    2)Also, are you saying that I can on an non-navi version play my ipod through the stereo, and also display ipod videos through monitor when in park?
  • dpierpointdpierpoint Member Posts: 4
    Answers - I checked these out when I took the car for a test drive.
    1) The input for the ipod is inside the center arm-rest
    2) It is possible (even on the non-navi model) to play the ipod through the stereo once you've connected it. As somebody stated earlier, it's only possible to send video to the dashboard screen if the car is in park.
    I am wondering if anyone here can help me out with this. I saw on the Infiniti website that there is a way to find the missing titles for songs that have been recorded to the hard drive. I guess I am supposed to transfer the missing songs to a CF card and then use a program on my computer to find the song titles online and add it to the CF card. The problem is that for some reason I can't seem to access the menu item on the car that will "transfer the missing songs". It is there, but it is greyed out and I can't select it. Just like how certain features are greyed out while driving. However I was parked and the engine wasn't even on. Is there a step that I am missing? Do I need to download anything to update the music box software itself? Any help is appreciated.
  • chase16chase16 Member Posts: 2
    Would appreciate ideas for getting ipod video to display on dash screen (aux) while parked. Settings? I have correct apple cable and 30 gig ipod. Audio is fine just not getting any video.... Thanks. (2007 G35 sport sed, auto)
  • robkanerobkane Member Posts: 4
    It has been awhile since I've done it...I think I remember something about the parking brake having to be on. Also, I think I recall occasionally having to hit the AUX button multiple times before the videos would appear. Have you tried those?
    Post #166 in the 2007 Infiniti G35 section:

Go to infiniti.com and go to the owners site. You have to put in your VIN number to register. Once there, under the "G" section, they have a link to download an application that will update MP3 information for files on the CF.
    Yeah...I already have that software, my problem is that the option that would transfer the titleless songs to the CF card is always greyed out. I think it has something to do with the actual songs. Maybe some info that goes with the tracks was lost in the transfer between putting it in itunes and then burning a cd to put it on the hard drive. Hopefully it's just for those couple of albums...I can input info manually, but I certainly don't want to have to do that everytime the disc isn't recognized.
  • kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    Gracenote ONLY works for retail stamped CD's. you can't burn a CD and have it rip to the HDD. A retail stamped CD has a special key or code that's read, like a UPC code on a cereal box. every CD has a unique code and that's what's used by gracenote (and all services i.e. itunes) but nothing will burn you a CD with that code (at least not to my knowledge)

The only way you can get names on the musicbox for burnt CD's is to either burn the CD with full CD text, which I beleive the musicbox can take the text from that. or to manually edit them.

your starting to experience the issues with iTunes that I think are going to be the end of iTunes in the near future. people are looking to put their music on more then just their PC or ipod, and unfortunately iTunes in it's current stat with it's proprietary format lock you out of what you've rightfully paid for. I have a couple hundred iTunes songs which are all useless if you want to copy them to the CF card, another device or just play over a media device (i.e. media center PC or xbox360) all itunes songs are unplayable. And not to mention that iTunes files are of fairly low quality when compared to MP3's at a medium rate of 192.
  • chase16chase16 Member Posts: 2
    Works now. I think parking brake was the key. Thanks :)
  • rkmcconnrkmcconn Member Posts: 3
    I have seen some posts on this but am still having difficulty getting video to display from an IPod using the auxiliary inputs on my '07 sedan. I'm using a camcorder cable, hooking red plug to yellow jack, yellow plug to white jack, white plug to red jack (found this on a link listed in a post), leaving the car in park but get only sound, no video. Ipod is set to "TV On" and "NTSC" in video settings menu. It displays a message saying video will resume when car stops. This is a car w/o navigation system. Has anyone gotten this to work or have any hints? Thanks.
    First, the parking brake has to be on.

second, just get the right cable.
  • weinberkweinberk Member Posts: 13
    Hi all-

I'm considering a 2007 G35x with Nav, Tech, and Premium. The hard drive music player is quite interesting to me.

Questions:
    1) Does anyone have any details of the hard drive itself (size, interface)? The dealer told me that it's something like a 30gb drive that the car uses for navigation. The 9gb that remains can be used for mp3 storage. I'm wondering if it might be possible to replace the drive with a larger one (kinda like a TiVo upgrade) so that I would have more mp3 storage space.

2) I have a bunch of cd's already ripped on my computer. Can I transfer these mp3 files to the hard drive by using a compact flash card? (It's a shame that there's no way to network the car when in the garage).

3) How quickly does the car itself rip cd's? What bitrate is used?

Thanks
    Ken
    1.) it's a Seagate drive, it is 30 GB's and it's an extreme condition drive to deal with cold weather and high vibration. I'm sure there's a way to sub it out, but haven't heard of anyone doing it and from what I understand it's not a dealer serviceable part, I think the whole unit just gets replaced so the dealer doesn't have drives or the software which will make it difficult. I don't think anyone knows the OS, which is critical in determining if the drive can be imaged and then free space expanded.

2.) nope, can't transfer them, burn only... it's for copy protection

3.) it's sort of slow, I end up listening to approx 3-4 songs before it finishes, which is about 15 minutes to rip a 60 minute CD. it uses 132 bit rate, and there's a lower one, like 112 or something, but I just leave at 132.
  • karman3karman3 Member Posts: 2
    I have new 07 and used the aux. inputs from laptop computer to view a DVD. It worked fine once I got all the correct settings in computer. Video is yellow connection, red/white are audio stereo connections. Not sure I will ever use it for video viewing. Is place to input audio though. I don't understand why they just didn't put an aux. mini jack plug-in in the dash somewhere to connect ipod or such. GM is doing that with their 07 models. I just burn my music to a CD as MP3's and use the CD in radio.
    Thanks for replying so quicly and thoroughly!

It's a shame that you can't transfer from cf to hard drive. Will the in dash unit play from mp3 cd's or dvd's? If so, will it transfer (not really rip, but simply copy the tracks) from these data discs? I'm most concerned with the time it'll take me to re-rip my music. I'd love to be able to avoid that.

Lastly, do you have a model number on the Seagate drive? I'm not finding anything online about extreme condition drives - I wonder if they're only available to OEM partners...

Thanks again
  • rkmcconnrkmcconn Member Posts: 3
    Putting on the parking break did the trick. Thanks for the help.
    it only reads CD's I believe it will play MP3 cd's... but I haven't tried it so not positive on that. it can't read a DVD and it can't copy data of CD's. there's only one way to populate the music box, which is ripping real cd's. you can burn a music CD and then have it rip that. which is the best way to get favorite songs. also you can rip just 1 song off an album, it's a select rip, or you can rip the whole CD.

Personally I have only loaded 2 albums on there and that was for playing around, I really don't use the CD player or the 6 disc changer either. I find the CF slot is the best way for music and occasionally I use the aux for my ipod.

The Drive is a Seagate EE25 (extreme environment) I have a link but it seems like the seagate website is down, I can't even get to their homepage right now... maybe it will work later.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ef6cd9388cf1e010VgnVCM100000dd04- 090aRCRD&locale=en-US&reqPage=Model&modelReqTab=Reviews&vgnextrefresh=1
    Thanks again for the info. Not the answers I was hoping for, but what I expected...

And, I can confirm that the seagate website isn't working on this end either. Will take a look at that website when it returns.

Thanks
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I thought it had a mini jack input on the dash. Doesn't huh?
    Segate Website for EE25 seems to be working now.

It's a PATA interface. It appears that there's only a 30gb version available - at least that explains why Infiniti didn't put in a bigger drive. ">link title
    Has anyone done an actual comparison between the two?
    I test drove the G last Friday and the car had the base stereo in it... and I never got to hear the Studio on Wheels stereo.

The base stereo was... um... less than impressive?

Can I expect to be impressed with the stereo?
    I'm 100% impressed with the SOW system and really asking for anything more from an OEM system on a $35K car is unreasonable.

I found it's on par with the lexus ML system, and it's better then Audi's, Benz, BMW and Acura's.

Some have commented that it's a little short on bass and it front loaded.. I think the bass is fine, but I agree that it's not "Kick yo butt" bass. it's very full and clean. The system is front loaded by design, because so is a home theater and so is a concert unless you listen to a concert facing the wrong way. I think some people because use to having the music come from behind them that they have come to beleive that's the way it should be.

I'm suprised the dealer didn't have any SOW systems to test, doesn't seem right. check with them again or another dealer.

It's the best system I've ever had and I really can't find anything to complain about. I'm unable to turn it up past 1/2 because it's just too loud for my ears even at highway speeds.
  • doug113xdoug113x Member Posts: 6
    I'm trying to find the titles to the songs that I initaly bought from itunes, then burned to a CD and loaded into the music box. I've loaded the tracks onto the CF from the music box and the program is looking for them, but it's not finding the songs. Can this be done with CDs that are burned from itunes?
  • evaitlevaitl Member Posts: 2
    Cool. Maybe we could swap out the Seagate ST930813AM with the 50G Hitachi N4K50 for 30G of MP3 space.

Anyone have any idea if the MP3 partition is something simple like a FAT? If it is, we could dd the whole disk over, run fdisk/mkfs on the new drive to resize the mp3 partition. Finally mount both of the mp3 partitions and copy over whatever data is on them.

Just ordered the car. Can't wait to play with it.
    Assuming that it's possible to mirror the drive and then repartition, that would be nice.

Any idea where you can buy one of the Hitachi's. Not seeing any purchase options online...

Anyone know where the drive is physically located.
  • evaitlevaitl Member Posts: 2
    I found the 40G Seagate at PC connection. Do a search on EE25.1.

Logicsupply seems to have the Hitachi auto hard drives, but they don't have anything larger than 30G so far. Maybe in another couple of months they will have the 50G.
  • joshk72joshk72 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 G35X without navigation and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get the CD player to show song titles on the CDs I play. Sometimes it works spontaneously and sometimes I get nothing but Track 1, Track 2, etc. The instruction manual doesn't really provide much guidance. Any ideas out there?
    Are they original retail CD's or are they burnt CD's? do you have the SOW system (premium package) or do you have the base audio system?
    I have the premium package. I was referring to original retail CDs. know that in most cases, a burnt CD wouldn't show information, but I've played a bunch of manufactured CDs and got no information.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    I have the original package and seem I don't have any problems w/ my burnt CD as long it has the title name before you burn into the CD.
    Is there some way to turn on the feature that reads CD track information? The instruction manual doesn't really provide directions on it for systems that don't have the touch screen capability (non-nav).
    What I'm finding out is that there are very few CD's that actually have "CDTEXT" built into them, as a matter of fact I havn't found a single disc yet that is actually CDTEXT enabled. So that's why your probably not seeing anything. Also the CD Changer does not take advantage of the gracenote feature that the head unit player uses to get information about the CD. so the bottom line is, the CD Changer is really just a player, it's integration with the Whole system was not considered, it's more of an after-thought, so you can listen to CD's... but as you can see, it doesn't even list the tracks , it only shows 1 track in the top slot.
  • trudesaitrudesai Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a G35 sport. The dealer told me there is an ipod docking station that can be purchased which would fit where the ash tray is. I forgot the name of the company that makes it but just wondering if anyone else has heard of that. He also said that it will allow you to flip through the songs on the ipod using the controls on the steering wheel. Also, has anyone been able to figure out how to get the video to play without having to be in park. Im sure its just a ground you have to rewire somewhere else because I used to have an aftermarket TV and it worked the same way.
    There is an ipod docking station but it doesn't allow you to use any controls on the steering wheel for a 2007 model. from what I understand it basically replaces your Satellite radio connection, so you can't use Sat Radio, it's a trade-off, it exists, I'll try and find the link, but it hasn't been tested with 2007 models.

There is no bypass for the video, and wires won't work. it's all electronic and cutting the wire on the park brake doesn't work, you need to also cut the detection of the tranny being in park and the vehicle speed sensor. By doing this MANY other functions such as navigation and other safety features stop working and the car will have all sorts of errors and the check engine light on. The only way you'll be able to have video while in motion is if someone is able to rewrite the firmware/software that runs the system and most likely the only way that is happening is if you rip the entire system appart because the HDD is buried in the head unit and it's not a serviceable component.

The outlook on this is not good at all, unless Infiniti decides to come out with an OEM solution to ipod, yet I doubt they will allow video even if they do.
    Last March, I came VERY close to buying a Lexus IS.
    I was very interested in bypassing the video lockout while the car was in motion.

There was an entry in one particular forum where a member made a complete walk through of a hack, including very nice pictures. It included removal of the Navi and cutting/splicing/hacking of wires leading to speed and brake sensors.

Many others followed suit and everyone drove their brand new IS while watching DVDs on their Mark Levinson/Navigation systems.
    Everyone was happy. :)

Then, months down the road, the posts started to come in. Systems were shutting down, some were reporting incorrect locations and some all together stopped working.
    Of course, this killed the warranty and these guys are all out of Navi systems - all for a few months of driving and watching movies. :cry:

I'm learning my lesson from their mistake.
    ;)
  • randy007randy007 Member Posts: 2
    was just wondering if i can add a sub to the existing bose amplifier in my 05 coupe.just want some kind of bass.any suggestions......
  • randy007randy007 Member Posts: 2
    any advice to where to tap at the rear speakers for an after market amp/sub.is it better before the factory amp or close to the speakers?
  • sizarrosizarro Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know if music can be transferred to the 9gb onboard hard drive by any other means than copying from CD (which I find bizarre at best even if it did work - mine will record for 20 seconds or so and then start over)? Even if it did work as expected, it would take a considerable amount of time to copy from my CD collection.

I heard that you may be able to copy music from the CF card to the hard drive; anyone know if this is true?
  • akubikakubik Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know whether the 2006 sedan was pre-wired for XM or Sirius? They wanted $350 for XM, so I let them keep it. But now I kind of want it. Has anyone tried to install it aftermarket? What has been your experience.
    "Does anyone know if music can be transferred to the 9gb onboard hard drive by any other means than copying from CD... I heard that you may be able to copy music from the CF card to the hard drive; anyone know if this is true?"

You can't copy from CF to HDD. You can't even copy from an MP3 cd to the disk. Stinks. I'm toying with physically removing the drive, figuring out the file system and how the database of songs works and then manually copying mp3's over and updating the database. From a computer-tech standpoint, I could do it - I'm just not real excited about taking the dash of a $40k car apart.