Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Audio Questions

Comments

• scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    A member on another forum was kind enough to put together a pdf showing the functionality of the Music Box option.
    I figured some here would enjoy this as well...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
  • mlw34mlw34 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you that was very useful.
    By the way I have about 40 albums on my HD. Does anyone know any easer way to find a specific song on the HD besides going down album by album (by turning the knob on the dash) and then going down song by song in the chosen album?
  • dgrahamrdgrahamr Member Posts: 20
    I have tons of iTunes songs that I bought on iTunes (not burned from CDs). Limitations of iTunes are obvious now that I'm trying to get the songs onto my Music Box! Is there any way other than by burning CDs in iTunes? Assuming not, I'm going to go buy some CDs and start burning. Does anyone know if I can use CD-RWs, so that I can reuse the same CDs, or will the player in the car only play CD-Rs, not CD-RWs?

Thanks!
  • justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70
    Search on the web - there is a company that makes a virtual cd-rom driver, which when used with iTunes will produce mp3 files right on your hard disk. So you do not need to burn physical CDs.
  • eunos33eunos33 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Guys, I have noticed that my center control panel (the one with the a/c radio etc) turns off a couple of minutes(sometimes seconds) right after I turn on the car. All of the panel goes black(unless I have the lights turned on). The bose radio continues to sound, but I cannot control anything from the center console(change stations,turn volume up or down etc) I can change the system from the steering wheel but I would like to know if there is something more than to take the car to the infiniti dealer. I have checked all the fuses, removed the radio a couple of times and changed the electric panel but it still continues going black. I noticed that as soon as the panel goes black, the a/c turns on automatically but since I have no controls over the a/c I cannot turn it off or lower it. If someone can help me I will be very thankful.

BTW my car's warranty is over because it has over 67,000 its a 2003 G35 Coupe 6M/premium
  • alfster3alfster3 Member Posts: 25
    Forgive my ignorance.
    I understand that music cannot be transferred to the HD music box from a CF card. I can go buy some CF cards and play music directly from the card. Seems a little inefficient. But, my question is, how do I get the music from my computer's hard drive to the CF card?
    I realize there is probably a simple answer to this, but the only experience I have with CF card is in my digital camera.
    Thanks.
  • kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    alfster3, you will need a CF card reader, it allows you to read and write to the CF card just like a hard drive, it gets a drive letter when you plug it in. Then you can use Windows explorer and just drag and drop folders or songs onto the CF card.

The reason you can't copy files is simply that Infiniti doesn't want to deal with RIAA or some similar group of imbeciles that are still wasting their time trying to curb music theft, it's simply taking the safest route by only allowing you to rip CD's. Seems to shut RIAA up enough, but I bet if they let you copy MP3's then there would be lawsuits.

If you have MP3's and no CD you are allowed to burn the MP3 to an audio CD and then the music box will rip that. your perfectly within your rights and it's a function iTunes and windows media both support.
  • jagguarjagguar Member Posts: 25
    Eunos, did this problem just start? After everything goes black, are you not able to get it to come back until you restart the car? I would say it sounds like a problem with a controller somewhere. I would take it to an auto electrical guy and have him diagnose it. A diagnosis typically costs about $65 - $75. Let him find the problem for you and a price to fix it. Then call a dealer and find out what the part (assuming he wants to replace a part) actually costs. Also, something I've learned is that when you call a dealer for a price for a part, let him give you a price and then ask for a discount. They'll usually drop the price 10%- 15%. Also call around because different dealership offer the same damn part for different amounts.
    Thanks. I thought it would be easy. I'll go ahead and get a CF reader and a couple of CF cards. Still think this is an inefficient way to get music on the music box. But, I'll jump through the hoops if it is all above board.
    I have to hit the record button to start recording to the drive.
    Do I have to make sure I hit record before the first song starts, or does it start back at the beginning of a song once I hit record?

I haven't played with it yet. :blush:
    Scottm123, there is a music box setting that will allow you to record automatically, might be worth engaging. Some say that the CD stops ripping if you change to a different music source, but I have found that it still rips the CD in the background.

I've had a CD set to record and turned the car on and off while running errands and the music was recorded perfectly to the music box, it probably just had to restart whatever song I killed the engine at.

Specifically, no you don't need to hit record right away, you can do it at any time and it will do whatever it needs to get the CD onto the music box.
    I saw the option, but wasn't sure if I wanted it.
    I'd like whole CDs, and if it's a short trip, I'm out of luck.

Does it record the same CD everytime, or does it know enough when I play a CD I've already recorded, to not record it again?
    it's a smart system, it checks to see if it's recorded already.
  • ssscompssscomp Member Posts: 3
    OK
    So I have a 2007 G35 sport with the stick shift and nav and all the packages. I can't figure out how to show, in a list, all the CDs that I have recorded. I can click through them but they come up in the order they were recorded and I have to sequence through them one at a time. Is there a way to see just a list of recorded cds to chose from? Probably a dumb question but I can't figure it out. Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Thanks much
    Unfortunately no, you can only scroll through 1 album at a time, unlike how the CF player shows you folders, the Music box doesn't work on a folder system.
  • hswhsw Member Posts: 26
    I've read this whole discussion re IPod's. I just have a simple question: Non Nav model: If I hook the IPod to the center console, can you view songs on the 7" display and control it through the radio controls (not on the steering wheel)?
  • dgrahamrdgrahamr Member Posts: 20
    I've hard lots of mixed things. Can anyone explain what the options are for scrolling through CF card and music box by album and by song? Is it really true they aren't alphabatized?
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    No.
  • ssscompssscomp Member Posts: 3
    Want to make sure that I understand this. The G35 literature says that the music box will hold 300 albums. If I want to listen to #294 I have to scroll through 293 first? Thanks for any response
    Well no, you'd never be more then 1/2 way there, so you would have to scroll through 150 at most. i.e. if you are on album #3 and want to go to #299 you can go down to 1, then it cycles to 300 and 299.

You do have the ability to sort and search, but only while stopped.
  • mike_bennetmike_bennet Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 G35 coup. I have the 6 disk CD player and whenever I put in a CD, it says “Check Disk.” I have tried multiple CD’s, tried loading all disk slots, and tried cleaning it, but nothing works. Even when I put the cleaning CD in it says “Check Disk.” I’m about to take it to the dealer. Can anyone help me?
  • crkline2crkline2 Member Posts: 20
    I have burned about six CDs onto Music Box HD. While I am in park, I can scroll through them, find the one I want, and play it. But if I am driving, I cannot look scroll through the CDs I have burned to the Music Box. The one that was playing when I took it out of park is the one with which I am stuck. I checked with the dealer, and they said that this is a restriction by Infiniti.

Question: Am I doing something wrong, can I switch form on music box CD to another while driving?
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    The dealer is correct - why don't you believe him?
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    The dealer is correct - why don't you believe him?

... probably because the majority of the time the dealer knows less than the buyer.
    While driving, you can go into the MusicBox menu and chose if you want to listen by Artist, Album, etc... you just can't search.
    You can then use the scroll wheel to go through the CDs you have ripped, which are listed in the order you just chose.

Yes, it's a little more inconvenient than when stopped, since you can't just choose your album, but I wouldn't go as far to say it's completely disabled either.

Still, I'm not sure why they disabled the search to begin with.
    My eyes are off the road more while scrolling than when I'm stopped and searching.
    Pencil pushers and their decisions always confuse me. :confuse:
  • weinberkweinberk Member Posts: 13
    While driving, you can use the steering wheel control to goto the next or previous album by either pushing and HOLDING up or down on the left steering wheel track/tuner control. I find this much easier than reaching over to the dash.
    Thanks for the hint. I too like keeping my eyes on the road and my hands on the wheel (hmmm, I think there is a song in there).

I will definitely try using the steering wheel controls.
    Hi Zeke:

I concur with what others have said - dealers don't know it all. They should, but they just don't. That is why I like a forum such as this - the depth of knowledge is outstanding.

And this thread proved it - many people have given me instructions how I can search through my CDs. The dealer said I had to stop to search through the CDs. So the dealer was very eager to hep, but gave me the wrong info.

Cliff
    Here's another good one.
    The right hand Tuning Knob will scroll right from one CD to another in MusicBox mode.
    You can zip through many cd titles with one quick turn of the knob.
    Found that one this weekend. :)
  • yyztoolyyztool Member Posts: 4
    Yes I have used CD-RW plates successfully.
    When you burn using itunes be sure that:
    EDIT-PREFERENCES-ADVANCED-BURNING the "Include CD_Text" box is checked ON, then your CD will carry the Artist, and Song Title and File Name from Itunes to your Music BOX.

Remember that it rips the CD to the Music Box in under 10 minutes, so pretty well as fast as you burn them you can RIP them to the G35. The easiest way is to set the Music box to AUTO-RIP when inserted. After you insert the record indictor will light and you will see the progress 10/18..11/18..12/18 etc. when the record light stop. Pop that plate and move on.

You can do this with the car in ACC mode. :blush:
  • triple_7triple_7 Member Posts: 63
    this was a good find. Like some here, I was getting frustrated not being able to change cd albums without having to scroll through every song. it would have taken me weeks to discover that pressing and holding the enter button on the wheel controls also changes the CDs. Thanks for posting these finds. Although I am having fun playing with all the features.
    Another question?? I've noticed that there are two types of CF cards I&II. Would either fit and work in the slot or is there a specific type. I've lost contact with the tech world for a few years and WOW, the technology that is out there. I remember when my parents called me to fix the clock on the VCR. I felt like a wiz kid.
    The only real difference between Type I and Type II is that Type II (Type 2) is faster.
    In regards to listening to music, there no real advantadge, other than you can write songs to it faster.
    Our car will accept both Types I & II.
  • agm1agm1 Member Posts: 11
    We had a similar problem and the dealer put in a new CD player. Works perfectly now. As an aside the CD player is 100% better than the radio for clarity. Amazing difference.
    agm18
  • craignelsonhlcraignelsonhl Member Posts: 1
    I've got a very similar problem...except a little worse.
    My stereo will not even come on, and the AC is stuck on 75 with the air on all the time.
    None of the controls respond to anything.
    Your post says you replaced the electrical panel...are you referring to the big "A/C and Audio Controller" circuit board that Infiniti wants $535 for?
    Or another board.
    How did you fix this problem?
    I'm going nuts here. I have a 4gb compact flash card. I've filled the card with mp3's. They play fine.

These are all fully tagged mp3's (ID3v1 and ID3v2 in each) including the track number. I've put each album in its own folder. This works fine, HOWEVER, the track orders are seemingly random. I have tried renaming the files to have the track number then song title, but this doesn't seem to change anything.

Ordinarily this isn't a big deal, the tracks are just in a different order than they were on my original cd's. However, a lot of the live stuff I have has no gap between songs (live with audience and lead ins to the next song). Having these live songs out of order is aweful.

There's got to be something that I'm missing!! Does anyone have any suggestions?

THANKS
    Ken
    Yes, but it's simple what your missing. The sort of songs on the CF card is 100% exclusively determined by the order in which you copy them to the card. if you want to set a particular order then you need to move everything off the card and copy back in the order you want. the first to be copied will be first at the top of the list.

I know it's stupid, but that's the way it is. a sort function would have been nice, but to be honest, I could care less and it's actually been handy when I delete a few files and add a few new songs, I know exactly where they are.. at the bottom of the list.
    Thanks for posting the tip. Really is such a simple thing from a technical perspecive to do a file sort. It's a shame that they haven't implemented it.
  • wes_888wes_888 Member Posts: 38
    Hey guys -- quick questions.

I bought the Ipod AV cable so I can plug my ipod to my 07 g35x in 3 weeks time.

Question 1: I can listen to the music while im driving if all 3 AV plugs are plugged in? Or do I have to unplug the video plug (yellow)? and just leave the red and white?

Question 2: If all 3 plugs are plugged in, can I view what I see on the screen without having to be parked with my parking break on? ( Im assuming no ). I just wanna see like.. the song titles and stuff.
  • knhicksknhicks Member Posts: 4
    Hey all, new to this forum. I just recently purchased a used 2007 G35x, and the previous owner had xm installed on the car. I can get to the xm radio part, but when I used the tuner it only has about 15 stations. The presets are set, but also only 6 of the. I can't seem to get to the other stations, or sub folders. I have friends that have xm and say there are 200+ stations, but that these stations are under the main few stations. I have never had experience with xm radio. Can some one help me?
    It sounds like you may be scrolling through the categories, and not through the channel list.
    There's a button to allow you to scroll through categories, but you should also be able to use the right hand tuner know to scroll through each individual channel.
    Try changing your screen to the Sat Radio view and scroll there.
    What is the deal with XM? Urgh! :mad:

I have an 06 Acura MDX and when I got it last year, I was totally unimpressed with XM. It sounded awful, and was always cutting out. I assumed it was Acura's shotty integration of XM, since their stereos lack anyway.

Now I have the G35 and for the first few weeks, everything was good.
    Now, for the past 4 days, XM barely comes in at all.... it's ALWAYS cutting out.
    Is there an issue at XM that causes this to occur from time to time?
    Engineer on vacation, Electronic issues, Solar glare?????

I had Sirius in my Jeep and MDX for a total of 3 years.
    Except for the VERY wooded 1 square mile around my house, it never cut out.

I'm at the end of my trial in another month, and I'm starting to have second thoughts on renewing. :sick:
  • steiny1227steiny1227 Member Posts: 11
    slater said "1) The voice interface for entering an address while driving is wonderfully easy, intuitive, and accurate. "

Don't you think it's f*cking stupid that you can use the voice interface to enter a destination address or a destination based on a phone number but NOT BY IT'S FREAKIN NAME. I mean who honestly knows the address or phone number for a place they want to input most of the time? And with the navigation controls disabled while you're driving you have to literally stop your car somewhere to enter something into the system - I'd rather get lost...

Infiniti really missed on a lot of little things in this car. I didn't realize it until I bought it.
    Does the CF playback piss anyone else off? Yes, it organizes your music very nicely into folders by artist, and I know the order within a folder is based on the order you copy to the CF, which is fine as well.

But there is no way to scroll through your list of music to look for a song before it plays. It just automatically plays the songs that are scrolled over. Also, there is no way to just set the CF card on random and to listen to multiple songs one after another. It seems only beneficial when you are ADD and have to change tracks manually every time or if you are listening to an entire album by an artist. I think with some very small changes the design could have been much better. Infiniti has screwed up a bunch of small things like this.
    Yeah, it's such a joke that they didn't interface the HDD with the CF card. I mean Infiniti can sit there all day and say this is for copyright purposes but that's the stupidest thing I've heard. I can easily burn illegally downloaded MP3s on a CD, pop it into my in dash CD player and copy them to the Music Box, so what are they really trying to protect?

I really don't see any purpose for using the Music Box whatsoever. And the interface on the CF card playback leaves much to be desired. Thank god they put aux inputs in so I can just plug my iPod in and easily control the music I want to hear.
  • rajali69rajali69 Member Posts: 1
    It's an XM specific issue. I have had XM for 2 years and it works great. I received an email from them this morning and they stated that they were having issues with their sattlelites.
    Thanks rajali69

I'll say this.
    I've been very happy with the reception in the G until this past weekend.
    It's SO bad right now, that I figured it had to be something specific on their end.

Thanks for the info!
    I agree the system is not perfect. But, I found you can play a CF card on random. If you hit the scan/rpt button ( I am pretty sure that is the one) while the CF card is playing it will scroll through a few options (e.g. CF card rpt, folder rpt, CF card mix, etc.) It is in the manual if you need more info.
    alfster - thanks!!! I will definitely be using the CF card more often now that I know about this. Now if only I could get music off my iPod in MP3 format to put on the CF card it would be great. As it stands now there are too many of the "other" iPod file types (m4u, etc.) and those don't play on the card.

Anyone know of good software to pull songs off the iPOD and convert to MP3? I tried out some software that did a good job grabbing entire playlists, etc. off the iPOD but it didn't do anything about converting the songs so many of them are missing on the CF card.
    There is software out there, but I haven't played with any of it yet.
    I'm waiting for the next gen IPOD before jumping on that bandwagon.

You may have better luck finding software to convert your IPOD files to wav and then converting those to straight MP3.

It's another step, but it'd work well for your needs and the software converting to wav is easier to find.
    www.soundtaxi.info is the best by far.