Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 Homelink

johnh7johnh7 Member Posts: 67
edited March 2014 in Volvo
"it took a little playing around to get the Homelink set up right with our garage door opener. The actual process was not quite like the manual. We trained the Homelink button to mimic an existing opener, but then had to also train the actual garage main motor unit to "recognize" the Homelink button. (Two step process, not quite like what the C70 owner's manual said.) "

I have a problem getting my HomeLink to work. What did you do to the main motor unit? I'm sure I don't have that manual sitting around now. It's been awhile.

Comments

• rschleicherrschleicher Member Posts: 79
    The manual has a basic procedure to program the Homelink button to mimic a basic "fixed code" transmitter, and an alternative procedure for use with "rolling code" systems. But neither of these procedures (by themselves) seemed to work with my garage opener (a Sears Craftsman / Liftmaster).

Here's what I did.

1. followed procedure in manual for erasing all prior codes from the Homelink. If you can't find your manual, you might want to look in the Owners section of www.volvocars.com (for your country), for the on-line manual. In any case, the erase all step is:

Programming the transceiver for the first time (U.S. residents)
    1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)

2. Then, you train Homelink to match an existing transmitter by:

Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. (This took a long time - maybe longer than 30 seconds.) When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

But this still didn't do it in my case. I then needed to follow my garage opener's instructions for training the opener to a new remote. With my brand of opener, this consisted of pressing a button on the back of the opener (one press), and then, within 30 seconds, pressing the Homelink button.

In short, first get the Homelink trained to mimic your existing transmitter, then go through your opener's training process to get the opener/motor unit to recognize the Homelink button.

If this doesn't work, then try to "rolling code" "cycling" procedure that is also described in the Volvo manual.
    In retrospect, the two-step process I went through for my Homelink, in the above post, is very much like the optional step shown in the manual for a rolling code system. I guess what was different is that I didn't get the same blinking light indication from the Homelink when I first tried to use it, that the manual says to expect if you need to do the optional rolling code steps. But I needed to do the extra steps anyway. Sorry if I caused confusion with my description.
  • cricket4cricket4 Member Posts: 94
    I set my Homelink about two months ago. After failing a couple of times, I did it like you did it. It worked but it was a little tricky for me, too. The part where you hold your remote up to your 3-Homelink buttons and press button #1 (or whichever) was the tricky part. It was like you had to hold the remote JUST RIGHT - at a certain angle to the 3-Homelink buttons. It took a few trys and I finally got the quick blinking lights. I also then had to "reset" my garage door opener by pressing a button on the backside and then pressing the set Homelink button (a/k/a button #1).
  • johnh7johnh7 Member Posts: 67
    Thks - I have the Volvo manual and I understand the HomeLink instructions. I too have a Sears craftmaster opener. It's that manual that I'm missing. I'm wondering what button you pressed on the Sears piece. There are a couple on the motor - one red, maybe two blue if I remember correctly.
    johnh7,

Sorry - I misread your earlier e-mail. My Sears garage door opener sounds different than yours. Mine has a single green button (square shape) on the back of the unit. The instructions for the opener are actually printed on a small label next to the green button.
  • johnh7johnh7 Member Posts: 67
    ok ths - I'll take a closer look when I get home tonight
  • silverspydersilverspyder Member Posts: 9
    I have a Sears garage door opener, and I used the "rolling code" procedure in the Volvo manual, and it works fine. It was an effort to do it by myself, but I did it. :)
This discussion has been closed.