Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Sprinter Electrical Problems

2»

Comments

• mike_mcginnmike_mcginn Member Posts: 6
    Time to move these issues up the Dodge food chain.
    This dealer is just guessing with you paying for the wrong guesses.
    There is no possible issue with the coach that could have
    affected the lighting / starting on the Sprinter. Wrong light bulb?
    Give me a break. Demand the old parts. Sprinter parts
    are way to expensive to just guess and swap.
    My 06 had a flaky fuse block that had to be replaced.
    It could be something as simple as that.
    Please post a follow up and let us know what happens.
  • kubikdanielkubikdaniel Member Posts: 2
    I think you have a same problem like one guy in chicago.
    Dealer change fuel pump a new ECU $3000 total. And sprinter doesn work. Is waiting at the Dealer for ? extra money a they will not fix anything.

try to change fuse box,
    try to take a look for anti block brake.
    (locking differencial) diferencial is still on , it shut be off- but power is on (for resintence).if ECU will detect during driving dif. lock ,fuel pump will disconect fuel.
    I am not mechanic-- ruzinsky2000@yahoo.com
  • kubikdanielkubikdaniel Member Posts: 2
    I think you have a same problem like one guy in chicago.
    Dealer change fuel pump a new ECU $3000 total. And sprinter doesn work. Is waiting at the Dealer for ? extra money a they will not fix anything.

try to change fuse box,
    try to take a look for anti block brake.
    (locking differencial) diferencial is still on , it shut be off- but power is on (for resintence).if ECU will detect during driving dif. lock ,fuel pump will disconect fuel.
    I am not mechanic-- ruzinsky2000@yahoo.com
  • dazednconfusdazednconfus Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! However, I think the truck is just a P.O.S.!!

We purchased a new ECM for mega $$$$ and the truck started right up. Then after 2 weeks, same thing. ECM went bad AGAIN! So, now they wouldn't just exchange the ECM. They had to send it off to get looked at to see if the problem is the ECM or if it's the truck that is making the ECM go bad. Twice the same thing... I think it's the truck. I'm totally lost here. They said I can buy another ECM and if they find out that there was a problem with the other one, then they will reimburse me the money. Or I can just wait 90 days for them to figure it out. I'm just going to fix it and get rid of it. I just bought another work truck. I've completely given up on this Sprinter Van.
  • firefighterjoefirefighterjoe Member Posts: 3
    I have and 07 International Dt570 with air over hydraulics that i am working on. The problem is that i dont have brake lights. now keep in mind that this is a fire truck and nothing is easy to find on these trucks. I found the brake 12v wire running to the lights and put 12v to it and the brakes work. telling me the that the wires are good from there back. Checked all the relays and fuses. all good. Now i cant trace the wires back from the point that i tested from because it runs into a huge wire loom that has all the wires for lights and sirens. that is a box of monkeys that i just dont want to open. Now i believe it may be a possible brake switch problem, but finding that is almost caused me to go crazy... or atleast closer to it. if someone would point me in the right direction i would be in your debt.. thanks
  • sprintergurusprinterguru Member Posts: 24
    The plastic step has several little square plugs that are hiding the torx head bolts that retain the step to the body. Look closely in the tread and you will see the outline of the square plug. Take a sharp ice pick or other thin blade tool and tap it into the seam, you can pry these up they just snap in. Remove the screws underneath and the step will come right up. There is one screw near the front that is not in the tread it is hidden by a round plug. You will see it if you look.

Roy
  • obstructgtrobstructgtr Member Posts: 1
    Were you ever able to find a solution..... I have an 06 sprinter doing the exact same thing.
  • petercoepetercoe Member Posts: 2
    I am replacing the oem horn on 2005-06 2500 Dodge sprinter and the replacement has a relay. I can't find a relay in line for the original but don't want to install two relays. Does the original have a relay for the horn? Thanks.
  • mike_mcginnmike_mcginn Member Posts: 6
    When I replaced mine. I used the orginal horn circuit to activate the new horn's
    relay and then ran a direct fused line to the battery to supply current for the
    horn. This avoided having to mess with the truck wiring and allows the orginal
    horn to be replaced if necessary.
    /mike/
  • jamn69jamn69 Member Posts: 5
  • jamn69jamn69 Member Posts: 5
    Ignition won't turn so no crank or start. Tried:removed battery & charged it. Boosted @ jump post & @ battery. tried turn harder, foot on brake & e-brake on, use spare key & invert it. tried different battery. Only once was able to get out of park & put in neutral, put back in park but won't come out as key locked in off position. Ripped off driveshaft & dragged into garage from frigid outdoors-steering locked also. haedlights are bright & when hooked on a new battery, a fair amount of sparking is present @ neg cable hookup. Any Help ?? :lemon:
  • petercoepetercoe Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the advice...I wired my new horn just as you describe and I can now hold up my head with the big boys. The factory one was a wus.
  • patrickjbpatrickjb Member Posts: 1
    hi , did you ever get the problem figured out? my POS 2003 is doing the same thing. When its cold it wont start. when i get it jumped if i race the motor up to between 3 and 4 k rpm . i hear a click and the fan turns up the lights get brighter and the error lights go out. didnt happen all summer. batteries less than a year old. im thinking the cold is seizing up some relay and draining my battery. any advice would be MUCH appreciated. thanks
  • vanowner3vanowner3 Member Posts: 2
    You can manually unlock your automatic transmission. So you can put transmission into neutral for moving, remove key, turn stearing wheel. My manual says to insert a (thin) pen (or nail) into the plastic cover to the left of the "D" position of the transmission shifter.
  • vanowner3vanowner3 Member Posts: 2
    My mauel say you can disengauge the automatic transmission, manually. So you can shift gears (for pushing, towing, turn stearing wheel, remove key. Insert a thin pen (rod, nail, etc) into the plastic door to the left of the "D" indicator on the tansmission shifter.
  • indianaannieindianaannie Member Posts: 2
    when headlights switched from high to low, dash lights go out.
    can get them on by pushing +/- buttons that increase/decrease brightness....also goes dark when turn signal used.
    HELP! Freightliner just changed out alternator and installed new battery yesterday...didn't do this before service. They want to charge another arm/leg to investigate "short circuit that has nothing to do with yesterday's service".
  • lonaldlonald Member Posts: 6
    My truck is dead, i tried to jump start it but the truck is totally locked down, cant turn the key or anything. The battery is charged and ready to go!
    Does anyone have any ideas on what i need to do?!?!
    I must get to work ASAP and my dealer is closed!
    Thanks!
  • fhr57fhr57 Member Posts: 4
    Have 06 2500. On 3rd set of low beam headlight since June 2010. Does anyone else have this problem. Is there a better headlight bulb out there? Or is it some sort of electrical problem?
  • repairman6repairman6 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I think the sprinter runs slightly higher float voltage than most, add that to the daytime running lights (and warmer temp in the daytime) and combine that with the super bright lamps that everyone pushes now days ends with lamp problems. The brighter the bulb the shorter the life. I got some volvo long life lamps on ebay for dirt cheap (no one wants just plain old lamps ) They work fine and my failure rate went from 8 months to two years (aprox)
    good luck
  • riteguy1riteguy1 Member Posts: 1
    License plate light was out so I replaced it. Broke the plastic bracket for that bulb and it shorted to ground, and now does not work as well as the dash lights. Checked all fuses and they test okay. Is there a fuse link somewhere in the system, and if so, where would I find it to check it out? Any other possible suggestions to check?
  • arkronarkron Member Posts: 1
    We experienced this same problem six weeks ago. Key would not turn. The van has been at a Freightliner dealer ever since. The dealer can't figure out the problem. They have replaced the steering column, the ignition switch, a bunch of modules & one of the wiring harness & it still will not start. When they run the diagnostic computer on it it says that everything is good & that it should start but it doesn't. They even had a Mercedes-Benz technician come out to look at it recently. He spend a day & a half trying to figure it out but he couldn't figure out what the problem was either. HAS ANYONE ELSE EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM & IF SO WHAT WAS THE SOLUTION? PLEASE HELP!!
  • indianaannieindianaannie Member Posts: 2
    SELL the Sprinter before it gets WORSE.
    Mercedes Benz knows they have tech problems, computer problems, and THEY DO NOT CARE. After new switch/removal of steering column, new wiring mine still won't work and yes computer says it's fine!
    Computer also said the fuel injectors were FINE, even after I took van to dealer 10 times complaining about how it ran, how mileage dropped to 16-18 vs 24-18mpg, how doggie van was....BUT THE COMPUTER SAID IT WAS FINE!

Then when it started running on 3 cylinders and blowing black smoke with no power to get over Donner Pass on I80 one COLD SNOWY EVE, Mercedes had to REBUILD THE ENGINE because two of the INJECTORS WERE basically melted into the Head! Blow-by, carbon everywhere...and the lid had never been removed by service techs to check the fuel injectors BECAUSE THE COMPUTER SAID THEY WERE FINE! They were likely never programmed when installed, as was the case with the TRANSMISSION.....after the over-haul (8,000 bucks later) the transmission shifted totally differently, the mpg went back to 24-28, and the engine no longer sounded like a farm tractor.

HELL NO Mercedes would NOT stand by their problems, even tho I had documentation back to first time I took van back to dealer with less than 100 miles on it, and ALL invoices for all the issues.........Official review at Ivory Tower Headquarters of US Mercedes-Benz in Maryland: "Too many miles on it to help you out with repairs."

M-B SERVICE IS A WORLD CLASS Misrepresentation.
  • ikatkooikatkoo Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know why my sprinter loses power after 8-10 miles after driving like itll pull and go nice and good but then as soon as it hits around 8-10 miles it loses power and wont pull...and then if i turn the car off after this happens and try to start it back up again it wont start unless i wait a good 15-20min. all the injectors are brand new..so i really dont know whats going on i went to the dealership they looked and couldnt figure out what the problem is.. so if anyone could help that would be great.
  • benzman248benzman248 Member Posts: 1
    Dodge Sprinter ECU control units are actually a Mercedes Benz part. The most common ecu part number is A6471532879 . When the ecu quits working the vehicle may not start or the glow plugs may not work properly. For more information go to http://www.mercedesecm.com/a6471532879.html When replacing an ecu the new part will have to be programmed to the ignition key.
  • 2008sprinterboy2008sprinterboy Member Posts: 2
    I think this may be the problem. During my frustrations I put the battery in backwards and put the terminal cables on the wrong terminals and tried to start my 2008 sprinter. I feel like it’s a fuse or relay, but I don’t see any blown fuses. My headlights and taillights both do not turn on as well as running lights. The battery light is also on on the dash. Any ideas?