Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Engine and Performance Problems

Comments

• jeep69jeep69 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 1993 cherokee with a heating problem I have replaced the engine, water pump, theromstat, viscous fan, radiator and all of the hoses I also replaced the fan temp switch located in the theromostat housing and the sender for the gauge it is running around 210 all the time I installed a 160 deg. thermostat no change I blew out the raditator and flushed the cooling system I thought it might have an air lock so I pulled an 8lb vacum on it for about 5 minutes with no change any ideas
  • karpcatchrkarpcatchr Member Posts: 4
    I finally solved mine by replacing the radiator. I found a guy with a laser thermometer who checked the radiator temperature, almost 50 degrees difference from the top and the bottom. Since the radiator was about 130 bucks at advance auto, he suggested that I just put in a new one rather than sending it to a shop to get it cleaned out. That did the trick, stays below 200 now, even with the air running.
  • karpcatchrkarpcatchr Member Posts: 4
    I also neglected to add that I cleaned my A/C condenser. Upon close nspection, the fins were not bent, but the spaces between them were partially filled with sand particles and paint that had peeled from the condenser over time, not letting good air flow through to the radiator.
  • jdanneljdannel Member Posts: 2
    Well I know there has been a lot of discussions on the overheating problem but this one is a little different. My Girl friends 99 jeep cheroke sport keeps over heating now I have replaced the thermostate a week ago and it worked fine but last night we turn the heat on and the battery guage went to zero and check gauge light came on then the temp gauge went straight to 240. Of course I pulled over and let it cool down and after 15 minutes it was fine drove for ten and it did it again. No I am not sure if it the drive belt or the water pump or an electrical problem. So any ideas would be apperciated. Oh it did this also before I replaced the thermostate.
  • jdanneljdannel Member Posts: 2
  • jaf362jaf362 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my Cherokee. Replaced the TPS this weekend and it did not solve the problem. Replaced the spark plugs and still the porblem exists. Any other suggestions?
  • mpk21445mpk21445 Member Posts: 2
    do you know where i might find documentation on how to replace the radiator in a 1999 jeep grand cherokee limited 4.7L V8...thanks
  • hayhayjenhayhayjen Member Posts: 3
  • gbrasfieldgbrasfield Member Posts: 1
    I had a wreck back in May and had "all that jazz" replaced that is in front portion of Cherokees(mine is '02 Grand Cherokee with 111K miles)It has started to run hot and the gauge will teeter between middle and red line. Finally, this morning it ran hot. I had it power flushed last week and it acted fine for 3 days then started going over on temp again...I dropped it off where i got the parts replaced post wreck to see if they could figure it out but I figured i would get other's opinions. Im going insane with this jeep - Please help me! :mad:
  • pludlowpludlow Member Posts: 16
    I looked at the pressure in the fuel rail and found that when the engine & pump are shut off the pressure falls too quickly and doesn't meet the Crysler spec for pressure after a specific time. This sort of points me to stuck/faulty injectors. A strange behavior also accompanied the missing/faultering today - the gas gauge started dropping and eventually bottomed out then as the engine smothed out it began to climb back to the correct reading of 2/3 tank full. Have you seen ay behavior like that?
    I'm still chasing the problem but don't want to keep buying new parts and finding the problem remains.
  • pludlowpludlow Member Posts: 16
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    fuel pump or bad ground at fuel tank
  • ditkaditka Member Posts: 2
    We were driving across state and the water pump went. Had towed and replaced. Since then it seems there is an airpocket (Water flushing noise). The car was also running a bit rough.

The other situation is now it is overheating again on short distance drives, blowing out coolant.

I am told that more than likely I blew the head gasket and the head needs to be machined as well.

I have been reading about other scenarios...bad electric fan switch, thermostat..etc, though the mechanic says it is probably not any of those and it is the head and gasket

Any suggestions. I am looking for the most economical way to correct the problem.

Thank you in advance.
  • chesapeake38chesapeake38 Member Posts: 2
    Bought mine in 2004 with 46000 miles. It now has 70.770. So far - all 4 window regulators, a/c and evac, 2 - fuel pumps (1st one was made by Airtec - don't buy) 2nd one is from NAPA. 2 - water pumps, Can't count the times I have replaced the light bulb assembly for the brake lights. Headlights are scratched, scarred on the inside. Those need to be replaced so I will be able to see for night driving. Found some on Ebay for 69.75 a pair. Also, if you need to replace the window regulators, go on Ebay. I just bought the right rear for $110.00. When you send the old one back, you will get a refund of $30.00 (core charge) and a 1 year warranty. I have contacted the BBB and there is nothing they can or will do. For some reason, does not qualify for the lemon-law. I just know that when this one is paid off, I will not buy another Jeep.
  • chborochboro Member Posts: 4
    I'll try to summarize: 2004 JGC 65K
    On a trip, about 5 hours from home, it starting shuddering and losing power. Did this consistently until it would hardly run. Had a mechanic look at it where we were and basically trailered it back to our area. Had local Jeep dealer look at it and they couldn't figure anything out either. Wanted to pull the head to investigate and I wouldn't let them. So, I have it home now. It ran ok home, but at above 55mph it starts losing power again and seems to vibrate. Rough idle also.
    Took it out yesterday morning. Started right up, gave it alittle gas about two blocks away and it sounded like it was faintly backfiring and losing power again big time. Is now making a metallic sound that doesn't really sound like it's internal. From inside the vehicle it sounds like the sounds are coming from the drivers side of the engine. Checked for any codes using the procedure of holding trip reset in and turning the key to on. No codes! CEL is on!

Any help appreciated in diagnosing this! The dealer sure can't help!

Chuck
    sounds like pluged cat converter
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Did you gas up shortly before this problem started?
    We gassed up about 2 hours prior to this happening. When we gassed up we filled up from 1/4 tank.

How do I check for a plugged CAT Converter?
    aut to be under warentt as usuly have 100,000 mile warrenty on emission stuff
    Jeep dealer doesn't think it's the Cat converter or an emission problem But, they sure want to pull the head to investigate more. Not going to happen! Is the Jeep Converter one that will rattle when it's bad?
    don,t know if cat will rattle when bad or not

are you sure that the temp is realy over heating or is it just the gage?

on the left hand of your engine compartment fire wall is where the computer is mounted i would unhook the bat and then plug and unplug the cables that hook up to the computer could have a little crosion on contacks that is causing you prob
    I will try that with the unplugging of the connectors. All during this problem, the vehicle never did overheat, or indicated a higher temp than normal.

Odd thing also is that there are NO diagnostic codes saying anything is wrong. Actually, if I use the procedure from the owners manual it actually indicates the OBD is never ready.
    let me know how it works
  • chesapeake38chesapeake38 Member Posts: 2
    As of today, I need to replace the radiator. As before, I will never own another Jeep.
  • rich73rich73 Member Posts: 2
    Mine is a 2001 JGC w/about 102K miles on it. Great up to now. The overheating issue seems to have started very suddenly. I took it in to a trusted mechanic and he replaced the old therm with a new 185. He also replaced the cooling temp. sensor. Drove it the next day and while underway at highway speed al is fine. Once in stop and go traffic the needle redlines. The dealer worked on it for 2 hours and could not duplicate the problem (he did not roadtest). the mech. said someting about a fan relay switch maybe bad. The fan runs but I do not know if it running at a high or low speed. Any suggestions? I read post #174 and will rty that. Thanks
  • rich73rich73 Member Posts: 2
    I went on the web site your suggested (www.wjjeeps.com) but could not find the link that shows where the relay is located. I understand in talking to some folks and reading their posts that is buried under or behind the headlight. True? can you point me in the right direction so I can find the correct page?
    Thanks loads
  • fenterfenter Member Posts: 1
    So i bought a 1990 cherokee 6 cyl. 0.4l 4x4, it's been running fine for about a month, i've

replaced a few small things on it, a few days ago however i moved to CO. from NM. and it started

overheating a little, so i put some coolant in it and it was fine, but after driving a few more hours i pulled over at a rest area and it started

spewing coolant all over from the resorvour tank. I noticed that the cap of the tank is cracked and i'm replacing that tonight, but i don't know if

thats the only problem i hope it is. Could a cracked cap lead to overheating since it wouldn't be able to hold the pressure?
  • piercedangel22piercedangel22 Member Posts: 1
    I've had the wort week this week. I need to replace my radiator and the window cable regulator on my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I took apart the door but it's really hard to get in there. If anyone knows how to replace these, please let me know. I really dont have $1,300.00 to reaplace these. Please email me at staticx1685@yahoo.com.

• skipper500skipper500 Member Posts: 1
    My Jeep GC Laredo4X4 4.7L 2006 while at a stop I was attempting to make a right turn when noticed no power steering. I checked the PS fluid and belt all OK. I also noticed no throttle reponse, I turned off the ingnition waited a minute turn the car back on everything was back to normal. When leaving work I back out put into drive and it happen again. Repeated above steps drove the car home and parked it. Also, there is no check light any suggestions.
  • 2klaredo2klaredo Member Posts: 2
    I have the same make/model/year. How did the change of sensor work to fix the oil pressure problem? My guage is automatically at 40 before the engine even starts and was worried something was wrong.
  • robertnstephrobertnsteph Member Posts: 1
    Does any one know how much a remanufactured 4.7 V8 engine would be, and how much labor would cost?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Can't help you with a Jeep, but a buddy with a V6 Ford got a crate engine installed in his F150 last month for $5,000. That was a Ford engine - a non-factory rebuild with a year warranty would have cost about $4,000 with labor. I don't remember how the labor split out from the install - I think around $1,000?

Maybe this will give you a ballpark idea until an owner shows up with some Chrysler numbers.
  • bobbobbob1bobbobbob1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi
    I am new here and am thankful for a place to talk.
    My vehicle has a noise that sounds so much like worn pulley bearings that I actually replaced the serpentine belt(thankfully), the idler pulley and installed a new tensioner. Yes, the noise is still there, but the parts I replaced were so lousy, it was probably a good thing.

The noise, as listened to through a piece of rubber hose(poor mans stethoscope?) appears to be coming from the top of the motor--alongside the head. It just continues to sound like a severly worn pulley, and seeing that nothing is moving outside the engine at that location, I am looking for some clue about valve adjustment or the like. I say adjustment as that just sounds less expensive.

I would appreciate any insight.
    Thanks
    Bob
    what hear by the altonator
  • dfitchettdfitchett Member Posts: 2
    Hi, just got a 97 gjc, when you put you foot down it spews clouds of black smoke out. thought we1d found the problem in the air flow sensor being knackersd. as soon as you disconnected it , no smoke ! 90 pound and a new sensor later, reconnected set of and still clouds of smoke. as soon as you diconnect the sensor the car runs fine with no smoke at all , although obviously underpowered.
    any help wud be appreciated
    thanks
    Damian
  • dnyaradnyara Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.7 ltr and am having a problem with the rocker arms falling off. I have good oil preasure, replaced lifters & rocker arms. Has anyone ever heard of this happening.
  • ssp2ssp2 Member Posts: 1
    hello
    i' am from mexico, and i have the same problem, i took my JGC to the dealer and they doesn`t know anything because the computer says the JGC is running good, do you solve the problem?

pd: in mexico are more than 50 JGC with the same problem none of this solved
  • daveyboy43daveyboy43 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Guys,
    I'm looking at a 1999 Grand Cherokee with V-8 4.7 liter engine with 103k on it. The vehicle is in perfect condition but my only concern is there is a slight ticking noise coming from the engine.It's really sounds like tick tick tick and you notice it when you start the vehicle and a little when you start out driving and then it seems to go away.If you come to a stop you don't hear it but when you start to accelerate you hear it again for a few seconds and then it's gone again.This vehicle was owned by a female doctor and it seems to be very well taken care of and she's selling it at a good price but I can't afford to buy it if the engine is going to need replaced.She told me that a mechanic told her it sounded like a lifter and she was up front about it as I knew there was an engine noise before I drove the vehicle.
    I have to give her my answer today as there's someone else who's intersted and I just don't know what to do.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dave
  • 99cherokee99cherokee Member Posts: 1
    I own a 4wd 99 Cherokee that I purchased from the original owner. They special ordered it in order to get the 5 speed. Can anyone tell me how I can find out how many 5-speed 99 Cherokees were built?

Thanks!
  • 5213252132 Member Posts: 62
    I had a 1990 Jeep Cherokee, allways overheated, never solved the problem, but ran to 300,000 miles. YEAH BABY :shades:
    Had the same problem, fan motor went out, it will, spin but slowly. Got it fixed, four months later same problem, this time it does not spin at all. Got it fixed the second time, viabrates as hell, but works.
    I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ. Have to turn of O/D to climb the slightest of hills. If I don't, I have to push the gas all the way down and will shift automatically out of O/D. Is this normal? Its a 4.0L POWER-TECH I6
  • cbuschriscbuschris Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the exact same problem with my 2005 JGC 5.7 HEMI as well. It seems to be worse in the mornings when the engine is cold, it happens when you accelerate lightly, mostly at a lower RPM but it also happens alot on the highway. I will say this...it ONLY happens when the transmission is in overdrive. If I drop it down to 4th or 3rd, the misfire NEVER happens.

The dealership has not been able to determine the cause. They have replaced the wires, plugs, coil and a fuel injecter. They say the misfire is happening on the #1 piston/cylinder. They have been on the phone with the Chrysler hotline but so far they have no solution.

Did your technician ever find a resolution??
    Thanks!
  • travelgaltravelgal Member Posts: 2
    Did you find an answer to your problem? We have a 87 cherokee that semms to be doing the same thing.
  • travelgaltravelgal Member Posts: 2
    I have a 87 Jeep cherokee with a 4.0 L 6 cyl engine. It has the remix multiport fuel injection system the problem is that when driving the engine misses at 1800 rpms but when I accelerate or let up it sopts and won't miss below 1800 rpms. I have replaced the coolant sensor, crankshat sensor and checked them all and the ones I've replaced checked out within specs. Any help would be apreciated.
    what type spark plugs try the ones the factory calls for (not the fancy kind ) some will screw up computer sensors give bad feed back to computer
  • buffalo2buffalo2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Grand Cheerokee limited. V8 engine. I pulled off of the interstate and was sittign at a sop light and it just completely quit. I tried to restart it and it seemed as though it wouldnt turn over . Like the battery was down. But now it turns the belt and upper pulleys but it does not turn the lower pulley. The belt just slips around the lower pulley. It had good oil pressure and oil in it. Any ideas of what the problem may be?
    If you mean the engine belt turns when you engage the starter, the lower pulley must be turning since that is the pulley that is turned by the starter. It may just look like it is not turning. More than likely you are looking at an electrical problem.
  • swatymyersswatymyers Member Posts: 1
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

This afternoon, my husband and I filled up the tank of our 2002 Jeep GC, Beavis, with regular unleaded gasoline. Upon pulling away from the pump:
    * The check engine light came on
    * The oil pressure started reading slightly higher than normal
    * The trip computer (the one above the dashboard; mounted to the ceiling) was giving us crazy high projections for the tank. It typically anticipates 280 miles on the tank, but now it was telling us 360+.

There's one other weird thing: When we purchased the car, I seem to remember there was some little metal flap over the the gas tank. It served as secondary protection in addition to the gas cap. It's no longer there, but I can't tell if I was imagining it in the first place.

This was just one trip this afternoon. I haven't tried it again to see if the light comes on with another start of the engine.

A cursory search of the web hasn't yielded any obvious answers, so I thought I'd check in here and see if the boards had any wisdom before heading into the shop. Any and all advice would be very much appreciated...
    Take your Jeep to any good auto parts store and they will read your Jeep's computer for you. As long as the check engine light is on the computer will show a code on their reader that will tell you what the problem is.