Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Torrent

Comments

• rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    i am running Mobil1 5W30 in our tnt.
  • jacksericjackseric Member Posts: 33
    I've always run Mobil1 oil in all my previous vehicles, and want to continue with this one. I just didn't know if being a new vehicle, there were some reason I shouldn't do that. (I bought this one new and it is the first vehicle I've ever purchased that didn't already have 60-80K miles on it)

I had an 1987 Pontiac Firebird and a 1991 Pontiac 6000 that I ran Mobil1 oil in from the time I bought them (each with approx. 80K miles) and they both were still running strong when I sold them with nearly 200K miles on the odometer. I didn't keep my 1998 Durango that long, but at 122K miles she ran stronger than when I bought her with 60K miles. I got 1-2 mpg better in the Durango with Mobil1 than regular 'dino' oil. :)
  • kfrielkfriel Member Posts: 31
    I would have to look at the list, but I do know it was Maitenance II in the service book. Car it replaced was a Subaru so I was just exited when it was only $100! I wanted to ask "is that all?" I think it was about 10,4XX miles. First service came up at 5,6XX miles and was $50
  • peteybpeteyb Member Posts: 2
    I'm concerned about the security of the roof rack crossrails. Can they be removed by simply lifting the levers - I don't see locks retaining them. If so, do they sell any aftermarket items (locks)to secure them?
    To the best of my knowledge, there are no such locks. Yes, they can be removed, simply by opening the lever.

That's why mine are staying in my garage until I need them. Well, that and the fact that they create a ridiculous amount of wind noise in almost all positions. :(
  • big_prizebig_prize Member Posts: 50
    I agree...it's probably a good idea to take the crossbars down until you need them. I take ours off and on frequently, as we have a kayak, and it really isn't a hassle.
  • whaas1whaas1 Member Posts: 11
    I can't say much about it...I've had it for 3K miles without any problems.

I'm getting about 23MPG (70 freeway/30 city).
    It has nice pickup and acceleration.
    The only negative (if it really is a negative) is that it is in deed noisy. It doesn't bother me but you just get this feeling of "if its noisy is it not as refined?...and if its not as refined is it of lower quality?"
    our torrent has 12000 miles on it now. it is a fwd model and on one trip, 189 miles we got 29.5 mpg. i figued the mileage by stting the trip odometer to 0, driving the trip, refilling the car and dividing the miles by the gallons used to refill the car. i believe the growl you hear is fromt the exhaust system in imho. thats where the sound appears to come from to me. i think they are a good engine and had some gasket issues in the past.
    i wish ours had all the improvements the 07 models got, but my wife is the main driver of ours and she is very happy as it sits.
  • rlt2rlt2 Member Posts: 13
    Regarding coin holder - just bought my 2006 Torrent and have no coin holder. Did anyone find out if there is one? They show one in the brochure on the Torrent. My dealer checked the other Torrent's on the lot and they don't have one either. Could it be an option?
    Hi - I just leased my Torrent. We never considered leasing before because we do too many miles (24,000/year). Salesman talked us into leaseing giving us 24,000 a year. Final - $410/month, no money down except for registration ($400), buy out at end if we want is $11,500. Sticker price was $26,500, but we got about $4,000 off from rebates, etc. You can probably get a cheaper lease, but since we added more miles ours was more expensive.
    Have you approximated your MPG otherwise? Its possible you might experience the best conditions possible to achieve that 29.5 but I would be shocked and want to steal your torrent if you can get that ever again.

The exhaust is actually loud as well or in combination with the engine. I'm talking about the engine being loud in idle.
    Yeah, the 3.4 is pretty loud on it's own. My Torrent and my girlfriend's 2004 Grand Am GT both have that motor, and they both sound the same. It seems even louder in the cabin of her car, I'm assuming due to the Torrent having more sound-deadening material on the firewall.
    I tracked down info about this from my dealer and neglected to get back on here to post what I found.

I pressed my dealer for one and he denied it even existed. I had to take my owners manual into the dealership and show him that on page 2-35 it specifically talks about the coinholder! Much to my surprise, 2 days later he calls me and tells me he has one and I can stop by to pick it up at any time.

His story goes like this: Pontiac figured out, about half-way through out the 2006 production run, that it was not a 'cost effective accessory' because people wouldn't miss it if it were gone. They quit adding them in at that point, but failed to change the owners manual.

Take that for what it is... a dealer's word. All I know is... I got mine! ;)
  • magooleymagooley Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I'm new here and could use some help.

I would like to lease an '07 Torrent FWD with the following options added: Sun and Sound package, Pioneer Premium 7 speaker system. When I built the car online, the MSRP came out to $24.465 and the invoice $22,849. I would like to do a 39 month lease with no money down and rolling the tax and fees (not DMV, of course) in as well. I only need about 12,000 miles a year. Basically, I do not want any out-of-pocket expense except for the first month and the DMV fees.

What do you think my monthly lease payments will be?

I was in a Pontiac dealership today and got a quote of over $400. This seemed extremely high to me (and to the salesman, he said). He explained that since the '07's just came out, there were no attractive lease incentives yet. He went on to say that if I had leased an '06 LAST month, I could have gotten out for somewhere between $275 - $300 (which is where I want to be, or at least close.)

Is this true? And if so, how long before the lease incentives kick in for the '07's? He told me to try back in a month or two (and that he would contact me as well) but he couldn't say for sure. Problem is, my lease is up next month (October) and now I have to decide whether to extend it by a month or two in hopes of the Torrent lease prices coming down or, getting a Ford Escape which would be much closer to my present price range.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I looked at the Chevy Equinox as well (they're basically the same car) and ran into the same problem. Too early (I was told) for attractive lease incentives.

Thanks!

Magooley
    Hi. I just leased an AWD 2006 Torrent on Labor Day. List price was $26,500, I got about $4,000 off - so around $22,000. Lease was $410 per month but I got 24,000 miles per year, since we drive a lot. No money down. With 12,000 miles I believe it would have been around $325 for same model.
    I think what your guy told you is probably true... too early to get any good deals on a model that just came out.
    For what it's worth, I just bought my '06 Torrent in July with the Packages that you mentioned, plus XM, leather, and the better wheels. My payments to OWN it are $416 a month. That was with $6K of negative equity from trading in my Durango, and Zero Percent financing. To see people getting a 4 year lease with the same payment reinforces my belief that I got a good deal. Compare the 4-year lease plus over $11K buyout with a 5 year loan... Same payments for the 4 years, and less than $5K for the last year. That's $6K less than the lease! Whew!
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    In the Spring of '08, the GTP might get the 3.6L DOHC engine that Suzuki will be using in the new XL-7. One sweet engine. I think the 3.4 will continue to be imported as GM cares more about cheap labor in Asia then keeping workers here in North America.
    Thanks. I went back to dealer with brochure and showed him vehicle with coin holder in it. They ended up ordering one for me - no charge. It may seem like a minor accessory but for me I'm constantly traveling on toll roads and a coin holder is a definite plus.
    Wow that is a good deal. What did you end up paying for the vehicle? $19,000?
    I would have to look at the papers to be sure... I hate to admit it, but I haven't looked at them since I signed them back on July 1st. If memory serves me correctly, it was more like $20-something... maybe even closer to $21K. I think I got a heck of a good deal, and the salesman/new car manager were both happy to see me leave. Haha.
    I don't know if anyone saw this...but this is just another reason to question the credability of consumerreports.org. First off the Torrent recieved a bad review in a narrative sense.

Then recieved POOR markings for fuel economy and fit/finish.

1st off fit/finish is subjective and I give the Torrent a VERY GOOD.
    2nd the 05' Equinox recieved a VERY GOOD for fuel economy...what they hell, the Torrent is the exact same car mechanically, except for suspension.
    I totally agree. I love the interior of the Torrent and don't believe the fit & finish is poor. Also, I've gotten between 18-20 mpg in stop and go traffic. What do they expect for an AWD SUV? I was unsure about my purchase of the Torrent since Consumers gave it a bad review. I've only owned the vehicle for 2 months so I'm just not sure about the reliability in the coming years, but hopefully all will be well.
    I love most of the fit and finish of my Torrent. However, there are a few things that I think were poorly done and could be better. Have you had to climb into the back of yours yet? Put your knee down just about anywhere behind the rear seat, and pay attention to how everything flexes and bows in and out. Particularly so with the trim to the sides of the liftgate's latch plate. It sinks in if you push on it with just your hand! In my last suv ('98 Dodge Durango) I transported a small load of bricks in the back... I would never even think about it in this Torrent for fear of breaking something.

That being said... I love my Torrent because it's smoother and quieter than my Durango was. I love my Torrent because it handles so much better than my Durango did. But most of all, I love my Torrent because my gas mileage in my Durango averaged between 11 and 13 MPG, and my Torrent is averaging just under 22MPG and 90% of my driving is either stop and go traffic... or going between 75-85mph on the freeway. That kicks some serious butt!

(Hehe, before my break in... when I was trying to take it easy on my Torrent... I didn't drive over 70mph. I once got 25.5MPG in regular weekend driving. So Consumer Reports can kiss my [non-permissible content removed]. Besides... everyone knows CR is all just paid advertising anyway. With all but a small handful of cars, they've always ripped apart anything GM...)
    Another thing I don't understand is the oil capactiy issue...I heard some dealers are putting in 5 qts, when the manual calls for 4 qts (with oil filter). So I went for an oil change told the guy it only took 4 qts with oil filter and sure enough you showed me the dipstick and it was underfilled with 4qts...looking like this bad boy takes 4.5 qts.
    That's common. My girlfriend's Grand Am with the 3.4l takes 4.5 quarts as well.
  • psfod3psfod3 Member Posts: 63
    The 3.4 is not a new engine the dealers must have some experiance with it. most dealers have a pre set oil pump that they set to the required amount of oil. Has anyone asked different dealers what they actually put in the engine
  • buddy443buddy443 Member Posts: 6
    My experience was with a well rated dealership. When the oil change invoice said 5 qt. I immediately said something to the service man. Upon checking the dipstick (which was well about the hatch marks) he said they would drain the excess. Since it was late in the day, the regular service people had gone home, and HE couldn't do, but he told me to drive it home anyway. I pointed out to him the manual that says DO NOT DRIVE if over filled. I refused. The next day when I picked the Torrent up, the bill said 4 qts. of oil, but the service guy said it took 4.5. But the dipstick said the level was o.k.
    The service guy telling me to go directly against the manual along with some other issues is the reason I will no longer do business with this dealership. The salesman was great! But I have no faith in their highly rated service department. Ultimately I would be the one at fault, and have to pay the price.
    I do not see anyone complaining about a "thump, thump, thump" that I hear on a semi regular basis. It is always 3 thumps in a row, coming from the rear of the vehicle. Never more thumps; never less than 3 quick thumps. I can not duplicate it if I try; obviously the service department (in over 11 days) said they could not either. Weird actually, and annoying. I have documented time after time, including weather conditions, fuel tank level, etc. No luck. I have talked to another Torrent owner who said they have never heard it.
    I have read the Equinox platform it is built on has had "thump, thump, thump" in the Equinox. But the problem is not solved either. Same circumstances. Just wondering if anyone else has heard them.
    Anyone on here going to wait for the oil change light to come on before they do it? I wanted to... but I'm at 4,500 miles now and I'm starting to sweat. I called the service department where I bought the vehicle to ask what they recommended, but the bubba that answered didn't have a clue and said, "Well, I don't know but I wouldn't go more than 3,000 miles."
  • m4825m4825 Member Posts: 11
    I actually own a 2005 Equinox and a 2006 Torrent. (Wife and daughter's cars)! Neither has ever made any thump noise we have been able to hear, or had any major problems to this day. :)

My son owns a 2000 Cavalier he uses for daily driving that makes the very same noise you are describing. On his vehicle the ABS does a self diagnosis upon startup after a few seconds - three very distinct and easily heard thumps as the Servo's in that ABS mechanism orient themselves to their top/ upper position. In his car if you did not know what was making the noise, it is hard to determine just where exactly it comes from as far as sound direction is concerned. Granted that his Cavalier has the Delco VI system, which has been since changed to a newer model.

I also have a 2001 Silverado that also makes a very slight noise that can sometimes be heard - three thumps (very, very faint) as the ABS self tests. Don't know if this may be your culprit but if it is, according to several of the repair manuals for GM braking systems, it is a normal ocurrence. Just some food for thought........
    Changing your oil every 3K miles is a myth…that’s why companies like Valvoline and Quaker state pronounce so they can obviously sell more oil.

Generally speaking it depends on your driving habits (for example taking off from the stop light at 4000RPMs) you shouldn't need to change your oil until about 5K miles…even more so with synthetics. I go by the oil life monitoring system but if it doesn't go off by 5K miles I just change it. There is a suggested time frame you should change your oil if the oil life light doesn't come on…not sure if its 1 year or 6 months.

When I was over in Europe my Europenan co-workers asked why Americans changed there oil every 3K miles they just couldn't comprehend it. One of them had a 1 year old Audi TT with 30K miles and he only changed the oil 2x (used synthetic oil).
    You know, you aren't the first source I've had tell me these things. The more I read, the more it sounds like I'll be just fine to stick to the oil life monitor/5K plan. Ironically, my father told me to ignore it and just do every 5K miles anyway... so your plan sounds like a nice blend between the two.

For what it's worth, my owner's manual says change after 1 year if the monitor doesn't recommend it before then.

Took pictures of mine. Hope it helps someone.

• big_prizebig_prize Member Posts: 50
    "I do not see anyone complaining about a "thump, thump, thump" that I hear on a semi regular basis. It is always 3 thumps in a row, coming from the rear of the vehicle. Never more thumps; never less than 3 quick thumps. I can not duplicate it if I try; obviously the service department (in over 11 days) said they could not either. Weird actually, and annoying. I have documented time after time, including weather conditions, fuel tank level, etc. No luck. I have talked to another Torrent owner who said they have never heard it."

The thumping noise is apparently a normal function of the emission system. I have also heard it during cold weather, and someone from another forum answered the same question for me with this TSB info (thanks to balchwoman from "another forum"):

"Regarding the odd popping noise in the back, I noticed the same thing and did some research and found the following:

The "back firing" noise thing is normal. Service Information Regarding a Pop/Clunk Noise From the Rear of the Vehicle on Initial Cold start and/or During the Warm-Up Drive Cycle -
    Inform Customer of Normal EVAP Vent Solenoid Operation #04-06-05-009B -
    (May 26, 2005)
    This applies to the 2005-2006 Equinox, 2006 Pontiac Torrent and 2002 to 2006 the Saturn VUE

The purpose of this bulletin is to provide service information regarding a normal characteristic of the evaporative emissions (EVAP) control system On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) testing. Some customers may comment that they hear a pop/clunk noise similar to a backfire type noise from the rear of the vehicle during initial cold start and/or during engine warm-up.
    The noise may be generated from the EVAP vent solenoid opening and closing during the OBD test. The engine control module (ECM) or powertrain control module (PCM) performs the EVAP OBD test each ignition cycle the test parameters are met. For test parameters, refer to "EVAP System Diagnostics"
    or "Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Set Procedure" in the appropriate Service Manual or SI.

Important: To help confirm that the EVAP vent solenoid is the noise the customer is hearing, the service technician should have the customer sit in the vehicle and listen to the EVAP vent solenoid being cycled using the TECH 2. This operation can be found in the Powertrain/Special Function
    section of the TECH 2 menu.
    If the noise from the customer comment was from the EVAP vent solenoid, no service is required. Replacing the vent solenoid will not change the normal sound of the required EVAP vent solenoid test.
    If the noise from the customer comment was not from the EVAP vent solenoid, the technician should continue diagnosing the customer's concern."
  • cnichols138cnichols138 Member Posts: 19
    I have read several of your post here. First off. I ended up getting a list priced Torrent of 25995 for 16300 out the door. This included 1500 in trade allowance, 1753 in gm money and 5500 in rebates. (3500 +1000 summer cash + conquest) I got the car for about 400 under invoice on labor day. I think I got a great deal. Leather, Pioneer sound system heated seats, Sun and Sound all the bells and whistles.

AS far as sound, i think it is very quite compared to my Hyundai elentra. The Torrent has great power and is better in my opinion then the Buikc Rendevous we have. Buick is bigger and is cushier in the ride.

I to did not get the coin holder. The Equinox I test drove had one, but my Torrent did not. Also the Equinox included a tool to remove the Antenna and I did not get that either.

What I thought was very weird is most got the same hatch area as the Equinox with a adjustable shelf. I do not have that option. just a spot to put in a roller type cover..which BTW you cannot purchase. (anyone have a idea?)

My only complaint so far is when the car starts up..at times it hesitates and takes off. If I am not careful...i have a fealing it may lung into something sometime. Also gas mileage is just down right horrible. 19.4 first tank. 18 second tank and my third tank...a rough 226 miles for a 14.4 fill up. Thats only 15.6 folks. HORRIBLE just Horrible.
    if you are talking about the roll up cargo cover, they are availalbe through your pontaic parts counter. i have had one for several months, and they are great. read post #150 and you will see i listed the part number. who said these covers are not available? your gas mileage depends on you driving habits and terrain. on one trip of 184.1 miles we got 29.5mpg of highway driving. hang in there it will get better.
    Security Shade is available online. Just found a website after googling the part number. They want 77.44 plus shipping. perfect.

Time to place the order.
    I've filled my tank about 5 times now. I generally sit in traffic on the highway to and from work. The lowest mpg I got was 17.5, highest 20. I have AWD. My only complaint is that the gas tank capacity is only 16.5 gallons, so I fill up quite often. The 2007 Torrent is now 20 gallons. I guess they had complaints.

Regarding your hesitation on start up, mine does the same think sometimes especiall if I just start engine and take off immediately. If I start then wait about 10 seconds, much better. No lunging then.
  • gmusic7gmusic7 Member Posts: 42
    "The 2007 Torrent is now 20 gallons. I guess they had complaints."

The front wheel drive model has the 20 gallon fuel tank. The AWD model still has the 16 gallon fuel tank. It's an error in the Pontiac website. I sent an email to Pontiac but they still have not corrected the error. Here is the response from Pontiac:

"Thank you for contacting Pontiac and your interest in the 2007 Torrent. We appreciate the time you have taken to write us. The website is in error. The fuel tank for the Torrent AWD is approximately 16 gallons. It is the same capacity as the Equinox AWD. We will escalate this issue to our web site team. Thank you for brining this to our attention. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused."
  • topgun0467topgun0467 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all
    My AWD Torrent so far is running great only 2000 miles on it.. I get around 25-26 MPG however I discovered a leak under the right side passenger seat. Looks like rain water and I am not sure where it is comming from. Has anyone out there have the same issue?? I have not taken it back to Pontiac yet....
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • krabby5krabby5 Member Posts: 2
    I have the 6-disk cd player with XM radio and have read that there is an aux jack on all radios...I think I was misinformed...I can't find an aux jack anywhere!!
    I have the same radio as you. My XM trial is about to run out and I am going to use that AUX source for my MP3 player. If I am not mistaken, I believe it is a set of RCA jacks on the back of the radio, that you'll need to unplug the XM source from before you can plug in your new audio source. I intend to use a 1/8" phono to RCA adapter cable that you can buy in nearly any electronics department.

If it's not RCA's then I'm sure it's some sort of phono jack, and those adapters are just as easy to come by. The hard part is going to be figuring out how to take apart the dash to get the radio out. I've not seen any screws anywhere, and I don't want to just start grabbing panels and pulling...
    I was wondering where that was at myself. I really thought the car would have it. Pretty bumbed out it was not in the glove box or center consol. Besides....if you hit the aux button you get to levels of xm channels. ERRRRRR
  • hoopster2hoopster2 Member Posts: 1
    I've owned my '06 AWD Torrent for 31 days, and it is back at the dealership for a no start condition. Actually this is the second time it has happened. Anyone else having this sort of trouble? Nothing was left on when it was shut off. It had power for everything else, lights, dashboard, etc, but only got a "click click" when trying to start. Also, does anyone out there get a "click" noise through the speakers when starting your Torrent? (the radio is off) Just wondering if this might be related.
  • irishmcgarryirishmcgarry Member Posts: 2
    Heres a photo of the back of the Torrent radio. Not sure how the aux is connected in.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • krabby5krabby5 Member Posts: 2
    hmmmm we must not have the input jack...nice brochure..

guess I'll stick with XM...
    Well, that stinks... So much for the ease of an adapter cord. I guess we'll have to find the pin-out diagram for those two blocks and find out what's what. There must be a way...
  • irishmcgarryirishmcgarry Member Posts: 2
    My understanding is that there is a means to directly connect into the aux through one of those conectors-if you add an XM it goes directly in and supposedly does not require any rewiring. I talked to a car stereo installer because I want to directly connect my XM Skyfi into the radio (and access it via the aux button) and he told me there is an adapter to do this. I'll try to find out more details
    Yes, I'm sure you are correct. I currently have the XM free trial and am not going to pay for the service. When my trial runs out, I want to use the AUX for my MP3 player.
    Any luck on finding out about an adapter? I'm sure there has to be someone making a plug-in block by now...

My XM trial subscription ran out last week, so my interest is about to peak. If I don't find something out soon, I'm going to have to start tearing apart my dash... and I really don't want to do that blindly. :(