Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Torrent

psfod3psfod3 Member Posts: 63
I am thinking of buying a 07 Torrent. It now has standard 4 wheel disc. I drive around 30,000 miles per year mainly highway. I dont know if there is really anything wrong wityh the 3.4 engine. It maybe noisy and less fuel efficiant but it has been around and it may be more reliable and proven then the more complex newer 3.5 engine. And so far there is no word of when they might swith engines

Comments

• envoysleenvoysle Member Posts: 20
    Does anybody have information about Torrent? Will it be out in 2006? Also, I can't seem to find any picture or info about this SUV anywhere on the Web...

What kind of engine will it get? Same thing as the Equinox or something more powerfull like the new V6 in the Saturn VUE?

I love the exterior of the Equinox, but hate the look inside. I hope that Pontiac will do it better.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=48087
    New Pontiac name: Torrent
    By Rick Kranz
    Automotive News / April 26, 2004

Pontiac has chosen the name Torrent for a new sport wagon coming next year, industry sources say.

The 2006 model-year vehicle will be based on General Motors' Theta platform, which is shared by the Chevrolet Equinox and Saturn Vue. Front- and all-wheel-drive models are expected.

GM North America President Gary Cowger said the Pontiac vehicle will not be a rebadged Vue or Equinox.

Said Cowger: "It has good differentiation in styling, ride, handling and interior."
    Unlike the usual GM concept-to-production model shown 3+years in advance of its on-sale date, the Torrent appears to be on a tighter schedule. Can only expect its first appearance to be the Detroit/LA auto shows in January 2005, bearly 6-9 months in front of its expected debut. No "major" autoshows in the fall, unless they show it at the SEMA aftermarket show, usually around November.

As far as power, GM has new engines coming online in the time before the Torrent appears. ie, the upcoming Pontiac G6 will come out with the 3.5L but will have a 3.9L in late spring '05. So it is a little early to speculate what might be under the hood.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Will the US get this car, or will it be like the Pontiac Wave and be Canada only?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    With the death of the Aztek, let's see if Pontiac can improve its odds with the Torrent.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    GM could use Honda's 3.5L in this vehicle, instead of the VUE. The Equinox should have been intro-ed with that engine, instead of the VUE- it seems to be a better executed package.

~alpha
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    WHile I'm dissapointed that the Torrent will be just an Equinox with a Pontiac nose, hopefully we'll see a better grade of interior materials and at least any 3.5L (Honda or otherwise).
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    When is this vehicle set to debut at Pontiac dealerships?
    I have read a July production start, so they should be in dealer in August.
  • dyuendyuen Member Posts: 4
    I have to give credit to GM for trying to differentiate their vechicles under three brand names. Personally I don't see the point of doing it. The Torrent doesn't set itself apart from the competition, and with so many choices out there for mid-size SUV, it's going to be a tough sell for Pontiac.
  • davem2001davem2001 Member Posts: 557
    Why would you buy this instead of an Equinox - it's the same car?
    I held off buying a Nox this year because of the cheap looking interior. A black/dark gray dash and interior makes a big difference. Stiffer shocks can't hurt also. Too bad the rice boat anchor motor is the same. If they pile up and I can great a great deal, then I'll consider it.
    I guess someone might buy the Torrent because it has more incentives on it than the Equinox. It all comes down to a matter of personal taste- do they like the Saturn's Honda V6, the Equinox's sliding rear seat or the Pontiac styling? If it were me, I'd choose the one with the most incentives piled up on it.
  • gmhellmangmhellman Member Posts: 121
    The Pontiac Torrent has a sale date set in the fall of 2005. My local dealer said that they expect theirs no earlier than September. 185hp V-6 is the only info they post on the site...(? 3.5 vs 3.9) I beleive this is the 3.5, but I suspect that they will offer the 3.9 as an option in the following years . The options list and pictures impress me. I really like the idea of getting heated seats w/o having to get leather. The styling grabs me as being more aggressive than the equinox. It also is supposed to have a more responsive/firmer suspension and more "car-like" steering. It also has 18 inch wheels available. The interior appears to have more of an upgrade to it than in the equinox. Especially with the gauge clusters and the hvac controls. I really hope that this vehicle does well, it is a definite improvement over the Azek. :P
    185 HP is the Chinese built 3.4 OHV slug motor. Just like the current Equinox. No other engine options for '06 I'm sure. They show optional 17" wheels, 16": standard just like the 'Nox. Heated seats are usually always with the leather option. If Chevy offers the same interior for '06, what would be the point of offering the Torrent for a few grand more then the Nox?
  • gmhellmangmhellman Member Posts: 121
    I simply was pondering if they would offer the 3.9l engine in the future, perhaps in the 07MY or 08MY. As for the heated cloth seats I obtained that info from the flyer at the local pontiac dealer. This is the info flyer that the dealer had just received, I will concede that I could be wrong on the rim size, but I will check when I go back in the AM. As for the heated cloth seats...that is an option. It was on the list. I pondered that option to the dealer and he said that many people have stated through research that people wanted the heated seats, but not the leather. I do not know if chevy is offering the same interior for 2006 but, I do prefer the interior on the pictures that I have seen from the Torrent website and the flyer that my dealer had. I will take your advice and check my tire facts....the rest I obtained directly from Pontiac Website or the Official Torrent flyer. :shades:
    in the Torrent/Nox. Since Suzuki will build a Theta version @ CAMI later in '06, I'm sure GM will use a better/cheaper imported V6 from them. If you checkout the Chevy build a car option on the Equinox Web site, only way to get heated seats are in the 1SE package which has heated leather or the 1SD, then choose heated option for the leather. Of course, this might change for both models for '06.
    Pontiac has updated their web site. Edmunds now has MSRP pricing on models and option packages. These base prices seem much higer then the Equinox. Also the option packages make it very expensive if you don't want every item in the package. (Sunroof option package comes with 6CD radio so it's over a grand! and Side curtain air bags comes with OnStar) I suppose the employee price discount will continue, so GM will bump up MSRP prices to make the "discounts" look attractive.
    now that GM has announced that Buick and Pontiac divisions will be trimmed?

~alpha
    With GM lacking in the small wagon and cross-over vehicles, they need to push the Theta line. The Nox is doing very well and the bigger SUV's are sagging. SInce the mini-vans are not doing well, this was GM's only short term solution. I guess the only options were to create a Pontiac or a GMC version. Suzuki will have their version soon also.
  • alberhpralberhpr Member Posts: 5
    If Pontiac really wants the torrent to be a performance vehicle, why don't they give it the 250 HP Honda engine that is available in the Saturn Vue?
    looks very well done though.

Looks very RAV4ish, but overall a nice package.

I doubt its based on Theta.

Unless I'm mistaken. It doesn't look anything like a Theta based SUV.
    http://www.06grandvitara.com/

Looks compelling. Automatic Climate Control standard.
    Grand Vitara: The redesigned 2006 model goes on sale this fall, possibly with a new name. The five-passenger SUV will be sportier looking than its predecessor and have more room and power.

The vehicle is based on the Suzuki Concept-X2 concept and will be offered with a 185-hp V-6 engine, five-speed automatic transmission and full-time 4wd.

XL-7: The redesigned 2007 XL-7 grows from a small SUV to a mid-sized sport wagon when it debuts next year. It will be equipped with a five-speed automatic transmission and a 250-hp, 3.6-liter V-6.

The redesigned SUV will be built at CAMI Automotive Inc. in Ingersoll, Ontario, a plant owned jointly by Suzuki and General Motors. The vehicle was developed on GM's Theta vehicle platform, which also is used by the Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent.

Are they referring to the Grand Vitara or forthcoming XL-7?
    Nice seeing a 3rd row seat option in a Nox. That 3.6L would more then likely find it's way into the Nox SS before the 3.9L. They seem to love importing engines in Canada from Asia. Plus the 3.9L will be bussy going into many domestic models.
    The XL-7 replacement will probably look more like a Nox/Torrent rebadge to keep the production line similar at CAMI.

I still think GM shared Theta plans with Suzuki on the GV. The interior dash is 100% Nox/Torrent/Vue based. The dimensions probably more fit the Vue.
    Probably all the exterior pannels are different and of course Suzuki used their own engine/drive train combo. (Just like Saturn dropped the Honda engine/tranny in for the V6 models.)
    Has anyone seen a Torrent on a dealers lot yet?
    Who cares? The 'Nox has been around plenty long, its no different.

~alpha
  • jbgrahamjbgraham Member Posts: 34
    I saw one this weekend at a local dealer in Maryland. IMHO the exterior changes are merely that - they don't make the car look any better or worse - just slightly different. The interior somehow looks better to me if only because it's all black, with only the (in this case) beige leather/vinyl being the contrast. I did like the darker tone of the center faux-aluminum, but again - subjective. A few dash bits are different and of course the instrument cluster. Nothing that anyone even slightly interested didn't know from looking at the Pontiac website gallery. Maybe they spent another $20 on the interior and saved about $110 on the exterior. I suppose it will end up being more expensive. I had read somewhere that there is no difference whatsoever mechanically - not even the suspension tuning. Does anybody know the truth about that? Just curious.
    Knowing GM, it'll have different styling, and a different price tag. Everything else stays the same.
    I saw my first Torrent yesterday at the dealership. It looked good in black and from the front it wasn't such an obvious rebadge. While many who know it's lineage may quickly dismiss it, it is a HUGE improvement over the Aztek it replaces and the average potential buyer will likely embrace this vehicle if priced correctly. I would like to see a performance driveline package offered in the future. Pontiac needs a vehicle in this class.
    Not to say they're putting the same shocks in the Nox also. The MSRP bothers me, since you must buy package group of options. Anyone buy one yet? What kind of deals off of MSRP are you seeing.
  • millege1millege1 Member Posts: 4
    I picked up my Torrent a week ago. I love it! Sure, there are a few quirky things about it, but there is for every car out there.

Mine is stone gray, with the Preferred package and the Sun and Sound Package. The only thing I might have changed is the location of the window opening buttons. That takes getting used to.

I looked at many vehicles before I bought the Torrent. Most cars left me feeling like I was sitting on the ground. The other SUVs of this size had a choppy ride. Only the Equinox/Torrent rode like a car. I picked the Torrent because I liked its looks better than the Eke, and the dealer gave me a great deal on it. Plus, it's nice having a vehicle that no one else has (at least for the moment!)

Would I recommend it? Yes! :)
    I hope you didn't pay close to MSRP. Edmuds is showing $500 under MSRP. Not good enough in my mind.
  • lildevillildevil Member Posts: 1
    The Torrents are now available at the dealerships. I ordered one before they were released and it was delivered shortly after the launch. I absolutely love it. It is extremely comfortable to drive and has more than enough room for my family of 4 (with 2 teenagers) and a dog. As a person with back problems, I find the ride to extremely smooth for an SUV. I test drove many SUVs and none were compared to that of the Torrent. Because the Torrent was not available at the time of purchase, I test drove the sister vehicle, the Chevy Equinox as they are identical except for the aesthetics. The interior chrome accents give the vehicle a touch of class, as do the spoiler, lights and wheels rims. My Torrent, a cashmere exterior has a black leather interior, was a special order as typically a vehicle with that exterior normally comes with the sedona beige interior. I’m extremely happy with my choice as it complements the “sports package” theme, which includes upgraded rims, sunroof, upgraded stereo and heated seats. It truly looks and drives and IS a vehicle with class!
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Saw a blue-green crystal paint on a Torrrent which was stunning. The appearance changes over the Equinox are all positive. Hopefully, the handling and steering have been improved over the Equinox. The seats are the same uncomfortable ones as in the Equinox. Wouldn't put my enemy on the second row seats.
  • nvrlostnvrlost Member Posts: 1
    Compared to the Honda CR-V. They rear seat is far more comfortable in the Torrent. I agree. The styling of th Torrent is nice. The AWL drive has less front wheel torque than the 2WD. Just wished the offered more colors. I am so tired of red, black, white, silver and grey.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I have seen a few of them now, they are out.
  • jackb45jackb45 Member Posts: 1
    Went car shopping today and took a look at the Torrent. I was shocked to see that its engine was made in China! I walked away and wont look back.
  • dekes1dekes1 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a new Torrent. Black on Black Leather, AWD, Sun&Sound package (including deep tinted windows). Pay no attention to MSRP - with the Red tag sale and dealer rebates you can get one for way under suggested. MSRP on mine was 29,345 and I paid 26,500.
    So far I love it. It's a much better ride than the XL7, much better looking that the Escape or CRV. I think it's one of the sharpest looking small/mid SUVs on the road (similar to a Lexus Rx330). It's larger than I expected, closer to a Pilot or short-wheelbase Trailblazer. The interior is much cleaner than the Equinox (but I am disappointed in the plastic on the upper third of the door panels). Could use a little more power though.

With the stunning Solstice, the new G6 coupe and the GTO and Grand Prix GXP, Pontiac is really the company to watch right now.
    Pontiac seems to be getting alot of mileage for the Torrent on the network TV tie-in with Survivor. They definitely created a ton of name recognition!
  • veligerveliger Member Posts: 30
    Anyone know if GM will finally ditch the 3.4L V-6 in NA for the 2007 MY next fall? Since only the Nox and Torrent now use it, and the Auto Press constantly complains and whines about it, I'm surprised it's not gone already.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    GM is upgrading the Equinox, and im guessing the Torrent too.

They will switch to the 200hp 3.5L V6 (with excellent fuel economy in Malibu, Impala, and G6) standard and offer the 3.9L 240hp V6 as an option (meybe GTP).

If this is not done by next year, it will be done soon after.
    Despite all the complaining that the Torrent is just another GM rebadge, after spending some time thoroughly checking out a purplish-blue Torrent yesterday, I must say it truly is a very attractive vehicle and certainly more upscale/different enough from the Equinox. The interior is very nice for the price point! Once it gets the engine upgrade, I'd proudly own one. They seem to be selling quite well. Red tag price was just over $22K
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    my wife and i took delivery of a torrent yesterday. she drives about 40 miles per day to and from work and this is her car. we drove an 05 rendezvous and the torrent at the same dealer. we didn't like the rend. because of the spungy handling and the seats were not very comfortable. both of our mothers are in their mid 70's are not as agile as they once were. we found exiting from the torrent rear seat very easy and cant say that about the rend. the torent seems to have plenty of power,quiet ride and comfortable seating. outward visibility is better on the torrent than the rond.
    granted these are initial views,,, time will tell the whole story. will post more as the miles accumulate.
    oues is fwd,secuity package,preferred package,17" wheels,,,black ext and ebony cloth int. sharp looking rig in this color!
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    forgot to mention is wish the torrent had 4 wheel disc brakes and comfort tilt steering column instead of the adjustable column. anyone know why the industry is switching to the adjustable type column? realy doesn't tilt all that much. love the red lit guages.
  • rpursleyrpursley Member Posts: 2
    Nice attractive package. However, GM seems incapable of exercising good business and marketing sense. A potential buyer has to purchase a special package to get cruise control on a Torrent. Incredible! And that Chinese thrasher engine with it's poor gas mileage is a real turnoff to many potential Torrent (or Equinox) buyers. Why when they have good 3.5 and 3.9 engines available? It is rumored that Pontiac will adopt one of these engines in next year's model. Any truth to that rumor? I'd consider buying one if they did, but not now.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    they will put them in/ The 3.5 should be standard, which means more power and fuel economy, as well as bieng better built, and the 3.9L 240 hp VVT V6 will be available as an option.

I am pretty sure this will be done next year, but I cannot guarantee it. GM knows toyota has that new Rav4, so they have to upgrade there engines.

Man, that Torrent interrior is KILLER COOL! especially in black with that metal looking trim and RED backlighting! Whoa man, I can't wait to see some of those with the 3.9L!

One note, They should not tune this engine for aggressive driving. They made that mistake in the G6 GTP and the result is 18mpg city fuel economy! In an SUV, this aggressive gearing will KILL milege and customers will choose the toyota.

GM must do everything in there power to increase HP while at least maintaning the current fuel economy.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    I won't buy a vehicle with a Chicom engine in it - other than that I think it is much better looking than the Equinox.

Now if it had the 3.5 l VUE engine, I'd be much more interested, but for a similar price, I'd take the Mercury for now.
  • artfarmartfarm Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are looking into buying a Torrent. What is the ave. mileage for this SUV? With my job, I drive roughly 500-700 miles a week. My car is my office, so I like the idea of the front passenger seat laying down, but I need great mileage.