Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Brake Questions

lin928lin928 Member Posts: 3
Purchased car new and it has 35,000 miles on it. When I step on the brakes, the brake lights don't go on. Rear window light does work - tail lights work. Was recently close to getting rear-ended and this may be why. Checked fuse which is okay - is it possible that both lights went out simultaneously? Any help is appreciated as I know it will be dangerous to drive it at all this way.

Comments

• jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    not only is it extreemly dangerous, it's illegal. cop catches you, might have the car towed and tell you to walk home. I'm no mechanic, but from past experience I'd say, that since its both not working, its probably an electrical problem. If it were just a bulb, I don't think you'd loose both of them. My guess (and nothing more than a guess) is that it might have something to do with the brake pedal. there's probably something on it that sets off the lights when the pedal is depressed and may be malfunctioning
  • lin928lin928 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your reply. I decided to have someone follow me to my mechanics in the morning. He replaced brake pads right before I was nearly hit from behind. I wonder if that had something to do with it. If not, I trust that he will give me an honest answer if he can figure it out.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let us know what happens!
  • lin928lin928 Member Posts: 3
    Amazingly, the problem is fixed. I pressured my mechanic (not Nissan) to look at it this morning. I checked the switch under the brake pedal and it only lit up the light on the deck. Thanks to JD10013 for letting me know about that. Initially, the mechanic thought it might be the main connection located in the console which would have involved taking out the column, but it turned out to be two bad bulbs. It cost me $10 and 10 minutes. Having already replaced struts and tires and a recall for a sub-panel replacement, I am concerned about what's down the road now that the warranty is up. But, for now, I am happy that this was nothing serious. I am glad that I joined this forum too!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We're glad to have you! Check out the list of other discussions in the Altima group. There are many others that may interest you. :)

Glad to hear it was simple fix!
    I glad I could be of some help. I wouldn't worry about "down the road". Nissan build a very high quality car, that is very reliable. shocks, tires and struts are usualy just a wear and tear thing, most cars need them eventualy. Especially if you drive on bad roads. and 1 recal is a lot less than most cars average. but congratulation on your $10 repair bill, always feels nice when that happens.
  • mikej7mikej7 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 Altima 2.5S with ABS.

On a secluded patch of road I took it to 20-25 mph on dry pavement and stamped smartly on the brakes. The wheels lock and I leave rubber.

I have had two service managers tell me that this is correct behavior. One told me that Nissan decided that under 30mph, you stop faster by not engaging the ABS and letting the tires slide.

My '99 Mercury Mystique engages the ABS under these conditions.

Does this make sense? I thought part of the point was to make the car steerable under hard braking at any speed.

Traction control and dynamic stability control are unavailable for the I4 models. So what will happen if I need to stop quickly at 5mph in an icy parking lot or at low speeds on an icy road, will I be better off pumping the brakes?
  • mithuandjoemithuandjoe Member Posts: 2
    Hey,

Thats weird you are having your wheels lock up. I tried that once I never had a problem. My Nissan is a 2007 Altima, my problem is with the brakes. When I brake on slope or when I pull into a parking lot, there's a loud squeal. took it to the dealer twice and they are saying its not the brake. So, I am wondering if you came across the same situation. Now, I hear the squeal when I reverse. My 07 Altima is 2.5SL type.
  • mithuandjoemithuandjoe Member Posts: 2
    I purchased this Altima back in January 07. Its about 10,000 Miles. Back in May I started hearing small squeal noise, whenever I brake for a red light or when I brake on a slope, or if I pull into a parking space etc. I took it to the dealer, they examined it and stated the brakes are fine no need to be replaced. I called Nissan, according to Nissan its a characteristic of the car. Has anyone come across the same problem, please let me know. Now, I hear squeal when I reverse . My Altima is a 2.5SL type. Can anyone help me?
    Unless its a very loud squeel, Its probably normal. brake dust, dirt, even tiny rocks can get in there and cause them to make noise. It shouldn't be a loud noise though.
    Its not just a nissan thing either, any disk brake is prone to squeeling. Some do it, some don't.
  • bperkbperk Member Posts: 38
    My 06 altima with 20K miles on it started to have a slight squeek from the brakes (I am a heavy brake user, as my wife says). Also the front started to pulsate as i was braking. Your pads could be rubbing against the rotor if the caliper is not releasing correctly. Anyway, I replaced my rotors and pads (Raybestos Advanced Tech rotors and pro grade pads , from RockAuto.com) all for $150.00, installed them myself and my car is like new again. BTW, the brake job was a piece of cake. I followed the instructions from a source and the job went flawless. If i went to the dealer I would have got crappy OEM parts and a bill for $400.00.
  • bump4bump4 Member Posts: 3
    does your altima have a third brake light? and if so does it work ? if it works it's probaly your bulbs. if you replace your bulbs be sure not to touch them with your bare hands. this can cause the bulb to burn out quickly (natural oil deposits from the skin)...hope this helps
  • ken75ken75 Member Posts: 52
    Could someone please explain the Electronic Brake Force Distribution system that looks like a standard item on the 2008 Altima? I could find no reference to it on the standard or options list for the vehicle. Thank you
    I would like to expand on my post from 12/6. I am trying to find out if the Altima is equipped with a system like the Honda CR-V. I did not know about this system until I drove through the Rocky mountains in November. While descending down grades as much as 5%, I did not have to touch brake or accelerator as long as I was in cruise control. The vehicle stayed rock solid at 55mph. I must assume this has got to be some sort of automatic braking control and it sure was nice to have, especially in the mountains. Does this sound familiar to anyone and can you explain what it is and how it works. I had assumed that it would be the EBD system but as I read about it, it appears that the brake pedal must be depressed for activation. I ask this question here as my trust in the local Nissan dealer is waning. Thank you for your help.
  • bitpohbitpoh Member Posts: 9
    I think the feature you are describing is part of the Cruise Control function, i.e. accelerating and decelerating as needed to maintain the car at a set speed. Both the Altima 96 and Accord 05 that I used to drive behaved exactly as you described for your CR-V.
    EBD I think is part of the ABS mechanism, at least in the 08 Altimas, to "electronically controls the braking force applied to each individual wheel, and therefore maximizes the braking force to ensure a maximum braking effectiveness" (quoting wikipedia). Nissan's literature describes the feature as "4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD)."
    I just received the same information from my dealer when he just called me on a key fob issue. Strange how these things happen when you push them. He advised me that this is called "intelligent cruise" and does not come on the Altima but rather on the larger pick ups that need help when pulling a heavy load. Don't know how it works in that application, but it sure was smooth in the mountain passes. Thank you for the explanation. Now I get a chance to drive the car to the dealers and have some fun.
  • rccbrandonrccbrandon Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2007 Altima that I've had less than a year and it has only 11,000 miles on it. Recently the brakes have started squeaking horribly, almost every time I apply them. I just had the car into my dealer for inspection 2 weeks ago and I mentioned the problem to him. He came for a ride with me and of course it didn't really happen when he was in the car. Long story short, he said that the squeaking was normal to Nissan. When checked as part of the inspection, he said they had more than half like left. I'm really not happy with this at all, especially if that is true. Can anyone advise me on this problem? It's driving me to the point where I don't even want the car anymore.
    brake squeal is, for the most part, normal. excessive braking and dust/dirt between the pads and rotors are the most common cause. if it really bothers you, your best bet is to go out and buy some top $$$ ceramic pads and have them installed. They cost more, bout shouldn't squeak.
  • u00pxk3u00pxk3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Altima with almost 47,000 miles now. In that last month I've noticed that when I've been parked outside in really cold weather that my brake doesn't like to engage. The pedal won't go down therefore not applying the brake. If I jam my foot down once I recognize that this is happening I can get the the peddle to depress and the brakes to engage. Once the car is rolling and warmed up, I have no issues with the brakes. When I dropped my car off at the dealership today I met an owner of a 2002 Altima that seems to be having the exact same problem. Is anyone else having similar issues?
  • smaurosmauro Member Posts: 2
    What was the result of your visit at the dealership? Were they able to fix the problem? I have a 2002 Altima and I have experienced this exact same issue (was surprised to check the forum and read someone describing as I would). I contacted the dealership yesterday and they said they have seen a few of these. The brake engages only partially at first and then it seems to "warm up" and work fine. My concern is that it will happen at an unfortunate time and I won't have the benefit of waiting for it to "warm up." The dealership said that they would check it out for me as soon as I could bring the car in.
    They called and said they couldn't re-create the problem. Did you have any better luck?
  • smaurosmauro Member Posts: 2
    I haven't taken it in yet. The service person that I talked to said he had heard of a couple of these already. He said it possibly had something to do with a valve that gets wet and freezes...Sounds to me like a problem in the design. I'm going to take it into the dealer for "documentation" sake and keep researching the situation.
    I talked with the service manager yesterday and they were able to replicate the problem. He said in their educated opinion it was the Vacuum Check Valve that keeps pressure in to the booster cylinder. I also received the same explanation that it's moisture in the air that collects and freezes as opposed to slush from the street getting on to the valve and freezing.
  • jjk20jjk20 Member Posts: 13
    I am trying to find out if the '08 Altima SE 3.5 comes standard with "brake assist"? Edmunds' comparison page of features lists it as standard but it is not listed in the Altima brochure and it is not listed on the car's window sticker. I called the Nissan consumer affairs # but they do not see it listed.
    Does anyone know? Thank you!
  • grumpfishgrumpfish Member Posts: 19
    I have an 07 Altima with 22k and some change miles. I started off to work and noticed that the brake lamp was on. The first chance I got I pulled over, turned off the car and resumed my long drive to work. A few minutes later the light turned off. On the way home the light did not come on again and when I eventually made it home, I looked at the fluid level which was exactly b/w Min/Max, so it wasn't low.

I topped off the fluid level. Today the light still has not turned on. I had the tires rotated 2mos ago and was told the pads and rotors were in great shape. The last car I had lasted 5yrs without a brake job. That shows how easy I am on the brakes. Any other 07 drivers experience this yet?
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I would drop by the local dealer and have them read the error code with their scanner. Might, or might not, be important, and it should cost you nothing but your time.
  • wvhokiewvhokie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Altima and also am encountering the brake squeaking. They told me at the dealership about a month ago it is a problem with the rear brake pads. But the brake pads are on back-order, and I still don't have them after nearly a month. I called the dealership today, and they said they currently have 5 Altimas they are waiting on for the brake pads.

I love my car even though it has had its share of annoyances with the keys being replaced, a muffler system on the air vent installed, and a couple of other recalls. I keep reminding myself that it was the first year of this body style and there will be fixes. People have always told me not to buy a car in the first year of its body style, but I did anyway. Overall, I love the feel and drive of the car,

Are you still encountering problems?
  • tibs11tibs11 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Altima. Within the first 2 months the brakes started squealing. One of my tires went flat so while I was at the Discount Tire I told them to look at my brakes as the car was new and the brakes were already squealing. The man told me that is a characteristic of Nissan cars...that I need not worry they all do that....well, that would have been nice to know. Anyway a few months later I took my car into the dealership and for the recall on key fob and asked them again about the squealing. They looked at them and said the cleaned out some dirt but they looked fine.....they still squeal...all the time. I love the car don't get me wrong...but the squealing IS annoying.
  • jaquicheajaquichea Member Posts: 1
    Well, I have a 2008 that I've only had since January. My car recently started making this horrible squeaking noise also. I would be so embarrased to stop the car because it was so loud. I finally got an appointment at the dealership to see what was going on. Come to find out my rotars and calipers were bad. So they had to order some for me. The good thing is, my brakes are under warrenty so I don't have to come out of pocket to pay for this!!!
  • kwmoore4kwmoore4 Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem. I doubt very seriously that you had bad rotors and calipers on a new car. Nissan issued a TSB, but it is worthless. Plus the dealership doesn't have a guess. The Altima is wonderful; but Nissan doesn't do something fast, they are going to get a bad rep. If anyone has had any success with a fix, please post. Thanks.
  • altima2007altima2007 Member Posts: 1
    Same problem here. I have 2007 altima. Squeking started three months after I bought to car. Mentioned to the dealer when I took it for one of those recalls. they told me it was the brake switch and they replaced it. It was fine for about a year and it started again I mentioned it to the dealer again when I took the car for an oil change. They replaced the brake switch again but this time no go. I called them and ask them again and they mentioned there was something regarding the problem in the Technical Service Bulletin and told me they were goign to call me back I am still waiting... Also my brakes squeak when I hit the brakes to stop not to slow down I don't know if yours case is the same but I can tell you it is very very annoying.
  • nissan4lifenissan4life Member Posts: 1
    I too bought my 2008 Altima in January and have had problems with the brakes squeaking since August. The first time I took it in the they resurfaced the front rotors. The very next day was hearing the squeaking again. So a few weeks later took it in and they stated they were unable to recreate the problem, so no fix that time. I just took it in again over the weekend and was advised that the noise was coming from the rear brakes and that I would need new brake pads and hardware. I am picking up the vehicle today so we will see if this fixes the problem and how long it will last!
  • kwmoore4kwmoore4 Member Posts: 5
    Good luck! You are about two steps behind me. Your brakes will continue to squeak and this time they will find out that it is the front brakes. Basically, Nissan doesn't have a guess. The problem is only made worse by a very aloof dealer network. If they don't get this thing fixed quickly, they are going to ruin the Altima name. It's a great car other than this; but pulling up to a curb and sounding like you are driving an old car from the 70's is SO embarrasing. If anyone gets or hears about a real fix....let us know!
  • madpistolmadpistol Member Posts: 126
    I have the same squeeling brakes problem. I don't like the fact that a lot of people are reporting the same thing. That means that it's a problem that's inherent to all 2007+ Altima's. They cut the rotors and replaced the pads. All is fine EXCEPT that the brake pedal now travels about 1.5 inches further before engaging. :mad: It was warranty work, but I liked my sensitive brakes. I now feel like I'm driving a car with Toyota Camry brakes. (not good btw)

I'm calling another dealership to see if new rotors is covered under warranty. I have a feeling that it is, and since my car no longer drives like it's "supposed" to, I'm going to find a way to get new rotors.

BTW, my car has just over 13,000 miles on it. I noticed the problem around 10,000 miles, but it's gotten worse ever since I noticed it. It was virtually unbearable on really cold days. :sick:

Seriously, Nissan needs to fix this. This is a really bad defect in the car's design. I will also go so far as to say that if this problem reappears around roughly 10k miles after I get new rotors, I will be in the market for a different car. I will not be changing out 4 rotors and brake pads every 10,000 miles.. :mad:
  • victor2k6victor2k6 Member Posts: 6
    i have a 2007 Nissan altima i bought it Dec 2006 around 5000 mile squeaking brakes took it to dealer the told me it was normal but they clean the rotors and brake pads after couples day noise came back took back like 3 more times and finally replace the brake pads but they cut the rotors noise stop for months but the noise came back took it back twice to dealer they replace brake pads again and cut rotors noise went away maybe six month but the noise came back but no more warranty so i made a bad mistake June 2008 i replace rotors and brake pads with ebc brakes 260 dollars to garbage noise went away but after six month i had vibration trying to stop so i have no choice to replace Dec 31 2008 with rotors and brake from Nissan 275 dollars because the dealer gave me a discount :mad: Feb 2009 noise is coming back again little by little aim so frustrated :mad: i think i going to trade my car maybe to get a 2007 Nissan maxima b/c i don't to start paying another car for 5 more years we should file a lawsuit again Nissan b/c i know there is a lot people with this problem
    i have a 2007 Nissan altima i bought it Dec 2006 around 5000 mile squeaking brakes took it to dealer the told me it was normal but they clean the rotors and brake pads after couples day noise came back took back like 3 more times and finally replace the brake pads but they cut the rotors noise stop for months but the noise came back took it back twice to dealer they replace brake pads again and cut rotors noise went away maybe six month but the noise came back but no more warranty so i made a bad mistake June 2008 i replace rotors and brake pads with ebc brakes 260 dollars to garbage noise went away but after six month i had vibration trying to stop so i have no choice to replace Dec 31 2008 with rotors and brake from Nissan 275 dollars because the dealer gave me a discount Feb 2009 noise is coming back again little by little aim so frustrated i think i going to trade my car maybe to get a 2007 Nissan maxima b/c i don't to start paying another car for 5 more years we should file a lawsuit again Nissan b/c i know there is a lot people with this problem
  • shang1shang1 Member Posts: 2
    A few of you mentioned "2007 was the first year for this body style". So is everyone here talking about 2007 coupe or 2007 sedan? Also, everyone here is talking about squeaking noise when applying brakes. I want to clarify if all of you infact mean squeaking noise or you guys mean to say that the car shudders and shakes and vibrates like crazy when you apply brakes. The vibration and shudder I feel when applying brakes is the type you would normally feel when the rotars/pads are gone!

Answer to these questions determine if I shall be buying the car, so an immediate answer would be appreciated please.
  • rccbrandonrccbrandon Member Posts: 7
    My 2007 Altima is a Sedan. I had the squeaking problem at the end of 2007 and took the car to the dealer several times. The dealer replaced the brake kit (calipers, etc.) and the car was fine for months. Then at the end of 2008 the problem started again. Sometime the squeak is very bad but it seems to go away after I've been driving for a few minutes. It seems like it's worse in the cold weather if I don't let the car heat up for several minutes first. At times, the sounds almost like a grinding sound like when the pads are gone, but I just had my inspection in January and they said that my brakes are just fine and not worn.
  • shang1shang1 Member Posts: 2
    I understand the squeaking issue now. However, do any of you ever consistently face issues where the entire car shudders and vibrates when you brake?"
  • 03vert03vert Member Posts: 1
    Shaking and shuddering most likely means your rotors are warped. If Nissan resurfaced them in an attempt to solve the squeaking you have a case that they should replace them at n/c.

The squeaking is a result of the combo of rotors and pads, clearly they do not mix. Remember that Nissan in 2004 with the release of the Titan and Armada had to purchase back some vehicles because of excessive warping of the rotors. They have always cut corners on brakes IMO.

The oldest Altima in our stable is 7 years old has 145k and I just changed the front rotors for the second time which for me is pretty amazing seeing as I drive fast and brake late. Never have I had squeaking. The 08 Altima we have the brakes are garbage IMO. I swapped out the rotors and pads with after markets at 30k and it's as good as my 02. We'll see about the longevity of the aftermarket equipment. I do know there is no squeaking, or brake dust.

Also worth mentioning, Nissan parts are extremely over priced. The dealership quoted 550 for my front rotors and pads, parts were 280 of that. I did the job myself for 180 worth of parts and about 3 hours of a Saturday morning. Not a bad way to save 370 dollars.
  • altgirlaltgirl Member Posts: 10
    The problem:
    Nissan Altima 2008 Sedan brake problems noise.
    Squeal/Squeak noise from brakes:
    • While moving forward
    • With very light brake application (light pedal pressure)
    • When the brakes are either hot (after 10 or more minutes of driving) or cold (after
    vehicle has not been driven for 2 or more hours)
    • At speeds less than 10MPH

I purchase a new 2008 Nissan Alima sedan in March 2008. It now has 12,000 miles. At around 11,000 miles I had brake noise. I kept thinking it would just go away because it is a new car. It was not very loud, but would squeal/squeak when braking, at low speeds. Annoying to say the least.

I took it to the dealer and they first told me it was normal for the Altima to have brake noise. I complained and said that a new car should not have brakes noise. They changed the rear brake pads. The noise problem persisted. I took the car back the next weekend. This time they said they could not duplicate the problem, but that the rotors had glazing (whatever that is) How is it that in one week the rotors have glazing??? They polished the rotors. That was this weekend. Now, my brakes are not as sensitive as they were. I have to brake harder and longer to get the same effect like two inches more. Now my car brakes like an older car.

I did some internet searching and found that in April 2008 there was a Service Bulletin posted on this exact problem. (will post bulletin below) I found that many people are having the same problem, because it is an inherent problem for 2007-2008 models.

My friend purchased the exact same car at around the same time I did and she is also having the same problem. She took her car for service and they did not want to change the brakes, said it was normal wear and tear. I told her to take it to the dealer I went to, although that obviously is not going to help in the long run.

Will this keeping happening every 10,000 miles? Because that seems to be the case in what is being said in the forums. The dealer tried to make it sound like they were doing me a favor that the brake and rotors are wear and tear items not under warranty. A friend who worked for Nissan said the only reason they would fix or repair the brakes is because they know it is an on going problem. What is going to happen when I am out of warranty???? Will this happen every 10,000 miles?????

My cousins husband who is an adjuster for a popular automobile insurance company said the car is to new for brake and rotor problems. He said it is likely that the car will always have this problem. Just wondering if anyone has had similar problems. My brakes are not the same as before the repair, and now frankly I am pissed. :mad:

Please post if you have had similar problems and what if any have been your resolutions.

This is the service bulletin:
    2007-2008 NISSAN ALTIMA SEDAN, ALTIMA COUPE, ALTIMA HYBRID; REAR BRAKE NOISE AT SLOW SPEEDS
    Squeal/Squeak noise from rear brakes:
    • While moving forward
    • With very light brake application (light pedal pressure)
    • When the brakes are either hot (after 10 or more minutes of driving) or cold (after
    vehicle has not been driven for 2 or more hours)
    • At speeds less than 10MPH
    • While traveling straight
  • ohionittfanohionittfan Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem now with my 2008 Altima 2.5S. At 13030 miles, I took it to the dealer for a grinding noise coming from the passenger side only. The noise occurred whether or not I was using the brakes, but it was intermittent. I had noticed the noise about a week earlier.

The dealer told me that the front brake pads were worn down almost to the metal and they were NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY because they considered this "normal" wear and tear!!!! I asked how brakes could wear out in only 13K miles. I've owned many cars over the years and have never had to replace front pads until 30-40k miles.

The dealer will speak to Nissan next week to see what they can do, but if I have to pay to have brakes replaced every 13k miles, I'm seriously considering selling the car and NEVER buying another Nissan again. There is no excuse for this.

Ironically, I bought a Nissan because I was fed up with the poor reliability of the American cars that I've owned. The Hondas that I have owned have lasted forever.
    It is not normal wear and tear call the 1-866 number that is in the Nissan owners manual in the glove compartment. You have to start a case with them. You do not need to go through the dealer. You are still under warranty YOU HAVE to call Nissan yourself and start a case. The dealer does not have your best interest at heart. My exhusband worked for Nissan for a short time and I asked him what I needed to do, he told me to deal with Nissan directly after I started having problems with the car. He said that is the only way to get resolution. The dealer won't do anything for you he and was is right.

When you call the Nissan number they will take you information and ask what the problem is. They will give you a case number and assign a representative to you. The rep. will call you in a day or two. When they call you, you have to sound really upset. Tell them you purchased a new car because you did not want the headaches. You could have purchased an older car and been better off (something to that affect). About the brakes you have to tell them that you have visited several ASI certified mechanics and they all state that 13,000 miles is not normal wear and tear for any vehicle (normal wear and tear is like 40,000 - 50,000 miles) Let the rep. know that you are aware that there is a service bulletin out for Nissan Altima's for brakes noise problems. That you are also aware that there are OTHER Altima owners experiencing the same problem. Do not accept them telling you that it is normal wear and tear. Tell them that you will file a case with the BBB autoline and will seek to file under lemon law. At this point they should offer to change the brakes for free. Finally tell them that you believe this is going to keep happening every 10,000 miles or so and that you want an extended warrarnty with a clause for the brakes. Threaten to get an attorney.

I looked up lemon law in my state and the car must have the same problem 3X within 24 months to qualify. Of course there is lots more and many things you must do for that. Look up lemon law in your state.

I did all of the above. Nissan changed my brakes at about 10,500 miles (free). A week later the noise started again. Then, they resurfaced the rotors. The noise went away for a while but then it came back. Nissan just changed my brakes last week for the second time. I am now at 14,500 miles. They had a Nissan engineer fly in from Georgia to Florida to check for the brake noise. It was slight but I made a big fuss, because I don't want them to keep telling me it is normal wear and tear. I gave the engineer the whole speech about why I bought a Nissan and I put my hard earned money into this vehicle, they should back it up. They gave me a rental for two days and changed the brakes to high performance brakes and new rotors. They can only resurface them once and they had already done that. It's only been a week.

I save all my dealer visit paperwork and am following up with a letter. All of this was dealing directly with Nissan not the dealer. I am still trying to get an extended warranty with some clause in there for the brakes. They do not want to give it to me. They did offer me 2 years of free service (oil changes and tire rotation) but that is not what I want. I want the warranty.

I know this is long, It took me making a lot of noise to get anything done. My friend also has the same problem. She did the same as I did but she is more passive and did not get the same results. Don't take no for an answer keep insisting. I know, what a hassle. I wish I would have bought a Honda or a Toyota.
  • chibbychibby Member Posts: 1
    After hitting 20000 miles and my brakes being so squeaky I couldn't stand it anymore (it started squeaking at 5000 and they told me it was just dirt)....went to the dealership and told them I called nissan and was told about the TSB's...without even question...they fixed the problem..using 2 of the TSBs...no more squeaking...and no charge at all! IAlso changed the back brakes and I wasn't even complaining about those. If you're at San Diego...just go to Mossy Nissan National City...
    i been doing lately to stop the noise is taking my car to the caR WASH EVERY TO 2 WEEK TO POWER WASH THE WHEELS AND ROTOR THE CLEAN THE DUST IS ANOYING BUT IS WORKING IAM SO CLOSE TO TRADE MY CAR
  • bluealtima08bluealtima08 Member Posts: 6
    I've been having having the same problem. I bought a new 08 Altima and within 5 months i started to hear this squealing sound. Since it was a brand new car and I was under warranty I took it in and they said it was normal-brake dust. Stupid me, I believed them of course. I had a new brake kit put on anyway and within another 3.5 months the same problem persisted.

I've been fighting back and forth with the dealer and service people who were far from inclined to helping. My car has less than 15,000 miles and I just had my brakes changed again by another mechanic. Im going into the second month and of course the squealing is back. It sounds like Im driving a bus!!!

I dont know what else to do!!! :mad:

Brooklyn, NY
    Follow the steps in my previous posts. Forget about the dealer. Get your Nissan manual and call the Nissan's 1800 number directly. You will get no resolution from the dealer. The dealer only does what Nissan tells them to do. I posted more specific directions on how to get resolution on a previous post. I had high performance brakes installed by Nissan and they seem to be working fine now.
  • bluealtima08bluealtima08 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you, very much appreciated! I will keep you posted-thanks again!
  • ctblubirdctblubird Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to add my name to the list. My brakes started squealing within a few months of owning the car. I purchased it in July of 2008. I , too, thought it was something that would just go away after the car was broken in. But it's gotten louder and more annoying and I need to call the toll free number. I just turned 10K miles and this started long ago.
    I also get a "thud" noise when the car stops. I'll stop for a light, stop sign, or for good and within a few seconds, I get a 'thud' from the back of the car. ??? Have no clue what that noise is.
    I loved my first altima, and I like this altima. But the noise is driving me nuts.
  • pam821pam821 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my '07 Altima S. I have asked the service dept, about them on several visits. The service dept. manager stated that the noise is due to the materials that the brakes are made of. He also commented about dirt and debris causing noise in the brakes. His solution was to ride through puddles and/or spray the brake area with a water hose to clean out any debris. This works for a while and the squealing returns. :confuse: