Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Monte Carlo Electrical Problems

meheartymehearty Member Posts: 6
edited December 2013 in Chevrolet
Hi,

I've rented a monte carlo ls (I was told it was 2007). The rental agency lost the owner's manual. When I turn it on to drive, the dome light comes on & stays on. Anyone know how to turn it off? It turns off by itself about 10 minutes after I shut down the car. However driving with a dome light on is really annoying. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    In the Impala you can turn on & off by turning the head ligth switch.
  • 01montess01montess Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am having problems with my 2001 Monte Carlo SS. Sometimes the turn signals wont work, or they start and then quit blinking.
    When it got cold out. My temperature gauge quit working. The heater fan setting #5 quit. Then 1 thru 4 went out. Can someone help me with this??
  • doug4321doug4321 Member Posts: 27
    to the left of the steering column there is a small know for adjusting the brightness of the dash lights.Turn it counter-clockwise until the dome light goes out.
  • routemanrouteman Member Posts: 2
    Not sure about the turn signal, or temp gauge, but your heater fan control problem is most likely a burned out resistor control, which I had to replace on my grand am, the part is $20 the time was an hour, most likey this is the problem, it seems like a typical problem on gm cars.
  • edmudd1edmudd1 Member Posts: 1
    where is the headlight switch on a 1984 monte carlo? I know how to cut the lights off and on but I don't know how to cut off the brights.
  • slyss2000slyss2000 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 86 and you should be able to turn off the brights by pulling the turn signal lever towards you.
  • slyss2000slyss2000 Member Posts: 4
    I had similar issues with my 2000 SS. I dont recall the specifics on it, but the turn signal had something to do with the hazardous flasher switch on the dash. Something about a fuse in there or something. Its actually a common problem I found out so if you contact your dealer, they should have info on it. I learned this from my brother who works at a Pontiac dealership.
  • montecarlolovemontecarlolove Member Posts: 2
    i have a 96 monte carlo , Ive had it nearly 2 years and love it , but within the past 6 months ive been having problems with it acting funny. At first it acted as though the alternator was going out, then the battery died, now im finding that the battery connections keep comming loose. has anyone else heard or noticed this problem? we also began to wonder if the ignition switch was going bad , because i would go to turn it over and it would hesitate for a few seconds and then try to turn over.
  • robbusrobbus Member Posts: 1
    I just lost my tail lights, side marker lights and dash lights-brake lights, turn signals and headlights all work fine-any idea what could be causing this? All fuses inside are good and the car just passed inspection in January-Would appreciate any ideas!! Thanks!
  • rvac99rvac99 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Monte Carlo owners. I'd like to share with you some problems I have had with my Monte. My AC and Cooling fans stopped working on a long trip to Florida. After $80 at the dealer they told me it was the PCM and it would have to be replaced and reprogrammed. I checked all the wires and have installed toggle switches that bypass the PCM and I can manually control the fans and AC. I asked a master mechanic online and he said if I could live with the switches that was the cheapest way to get around the problem. I get a trouble code for the cooling fans but I still got it inspected anyway (check engine light was on).
    My car shifts hard when the fluid is warm and I notice bubbles in the fluid. Checked it because I thought it was low. The bubbles make it read high.
    Also lost use of my heated seats and rear defroster. Working on those problems next. Probably have more toggle switches to install. Let me know if you have any insight on my problems and I'll do the same for yours. rvac99@cox.net
    Thanks.
  • blue02ssblue02ss Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 SS with 69K miles that I bought with 50K earlier this year. I recently started to have issues where the battery will go dead for no apparent reason (no interior lights on, etc.) I had the electrical system tested and the dealer found no parasitic drains. I've narrowed it down to when I drive it one day, the next day it will be dead (or the battery will be depleted enough that it won't be able to start). However if I put a battery charger on it and let it sit with a full charge, it can go up to a week and a half sitting without a problem, then will start right up. I've replaced the battery three times with different brands to no avail. Any thoughts?
  • lberglberg Member Posts: 3
    Any luck with the heated seats and rear defroster? Got the same issue on my 2006 LTZ Monte. Also the remote start does not work and the car does not heat up while idling. 5 below zero and this all is a pain.
  • dancermom4dancermom4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 monte carlo and for some reason the headlights aren't working properly. They come on when i turn the car on and then after I drive for about ten minutes they shut off and then a few minutes goes by and they come back on. This is really annoying so if there is anyone who has any idea what the problem could be please help.
  • mudhopper2mudhopper2 Member Posts: 2
    Where is the engine computer located on a 2005 monte carlo(3.4l)??
  • kingstoniakingstonia Member Posts: 1
    hey there
    95 monte has been an absolute trooper, 167k mi, no real issues to speak of, only maint. has been normal, alternator, starter, shocks, brakes, etc. drove to the store one night, came back out, no go. chime inside sounds dim and fades to poop after a bit, tried jumping but to no avail. i know the blinker switch on the steering column is going, but now when there is no key in it a crazy buzzing/ticking comes from behind the speedo cluster and a metal box behind the steering wheel column is buzzing angrily...where do i go from here???
    thanks for any help!
    rk
  • classicmanclassicman Member Posts: 1
    Has this happened to anyone. Heater and a/c system out on our 2000 monte carlo LS. For several months now the heater would not work (no vent control no blower- completely dead), until the car had been started for several minutes. Then it would mysteriouly start working. The minutes became longer until the heater does not work at all. The cruise control and overhead console also follow the same pattern. Checked all fuses and relays associated with the problem 0k. On one occasion on a road trip the cruise control A/C heater was out for about 40 miles. I heard a relay close, sounded like it was behind the instrument panel and all began working. Please help. Thank You
  • mckinnon34mckinnon34 Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem with my 95 monte.
  • ralph49ralph49 Member Posts: 5
    2001 monte carlo ss same exact problem cruise control overhead console also goes out to. Do not hear relay close. If i keep fan motor on 3 or higher when i start it it works that a pain but at least it works. mecahic shop say they dont have the technology to diagnose tell me to take it to dealer . Thinking about changing control panel its $120.00.
  • mr_montecarlomr_montecarlo Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I have a 2000 monte carlo ss and it keeps blowing the fuse that controls my cooling fans causing my car to heat up to a high temp unless I get onto the high way. Have you heard of anything like this?
  • candic80candic80 Member Posts: 1
    My car hazard lights came on after taking my car into a mechanic to fix the cad converter. The mechanics couldnt figure out why they came on and it wont shut off (the switch is broke) so they took the whole plug out from under my dash and now my turning signals dont work. however, when I drove my car home and shut off car, the flashers started flashing again and now the flashers wont shut off.. and now my car wont start.There is a wierd buzzing noise that comes and goes under my column too now. Im furious and feel I shouldnt have to pay the mechanic the rest of the money i owe until this problem is resolved since I didnt have this problem before! Any suggestions as to why my car is doing this?
  • chevyonechevyone Member Posts: 2
    classicman, having the same issue on my 03 Monte, did you find the fix ? If so could you enlighten me as to what repair was.
    Thanks,
    Chevyone
    Went to the mechanic today ( brother in-law) looked at wiring diagram it shows the cruise control is tied into the circuit to the heater/control panel going to replace control panel just ordered it today 120.00 see what happens been a problem for about 9 months hope it works keep you posted. THANKS
  • chevyonechevyone Member Posts: 2
    Ralph,
    Stopped it by a good friends shop, just to verify; if it's the body control module (bcm) a new one can only be programmed by the dealer. Went by the dealer also, they said that it also could be in the ignition switch, the service rep said it could be the bcm as well but pushed more for the Ign Sw. My gut feeling and past experience if it was the switch when keyed to start and blower/cruise does not run/work they would continue to not run/work until the next time that the key was turned. My problems will stop and start intermittley while driving. It also does not run/work when first started. Also I have the info center for mileage and traveling direction (N, E, W & S) it also does other functions. I have noticed most times that the blower/cruise is not working it also goes out, but there has been times that it does continue to work. Are you seeing this also? Don’t know if you have this option on your car. They would have to pull the codes for a cost of $89+. Don't know about you but I'm old school and like my 67 Chevy PU. I have been turning wenches along time and can fix anything on the truck. New is great as long as it is working but when it's not working on these new rides it can be costly. Please let me know if your fix works. My problems have also been acting up for almost a year now. Just a side note; always liked the name Ralph see I’m bias being my father carries this name. Thanks,
    Chevy One
  • bjl716bjl716 Member Posts: 1
    Ralph,

My wifes 2001 SS is doing the exact same thing. The overhead console goes out an no heater or A/C. Did you find a fix.

Thanks'

Bruce
  • cmhaskincmhaskin Member Posts: 1
    The turn signals on my 1999 monte carlo dont work but the hazard lights still work, the fuse looks okay, is there anything elso that I need to look at?
  • monte_bmonte_b Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2001. Did you happen to have any luck in replacing the control panel?
    Replaced Blower control panel, Blower motor, and Blower motor resister still the same problem. Last week replaced Ignition switch and the Blower Motor has been working fine. Any questions let me know. Good Luck.

Ralph.
  • clocks2clocks2 Member Posts: 1
    Have 2000 Chvy Monte carlo with electrical shortages. Lighter, dash lights, windows, no interior power. Recent 3800 overhaul, Due from fire damage to previous engine. If anyone could possibly help me with this please contact me or post a reply on this site. Thank you so much in advance.
  • rgilbertsenrgilbertsen Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find out what causes fuse to blow on cooling fans? I have 2003 Monte Carlo and it is doing the same thing.
  • rgilbertsenrgilbertsen Member Posts: 2
    do i have to replace the entire fan assembly on my 2003 monte carlo. Only 1 of my fans has quit. I used to be able to change fuse and keep it working but now the fan wont run at all(left fan).
  • camacho94camacho94 Member Posts: 6
    Did you check the fan relay? there are two fan relays in the fuse box under the hood. Sometimes they go bad causing the fan(s) not to work... Give it a try.
  • heatherlee19heatherlee19 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Monte Carlo. My first issue would be my windows. Drivers side stopped working in December, had the switch replaced. Since then 3 more replaced. Just left it and used my passenger side, dont smoke so no big deal. Passenger went out last week. Took it into my hometowns dealership (ford not chevrolet) they couldnt help. I assume its a wiring issue but dont want to be told the run around by a dealership. Second is my air... been checked for a leak 3 times... nothing was found, recharging lasts 1-3 days. Black car black leather, absolutely awful to drive in 80-100 degree weather... CAN ANYONE HELP ME??????? :confuse: :mad: :(
  • dzr7873dzr7873 Member Posts: 1
    I had this same problem not too long ago with my 95 monte carlo. what you want to check is to see if the fuse is getting the power. for my car it was the driver side fuse box under the hood. fuse #5 for parking lps and headlight switch. the wires were just old and had to replace the wires for that fuse. they work now.
  • bnbborobnbboro Member Posts: 6
    I dont know if I'm replying to the right person, but will continue anyway. I have a 2000 monty with the same problems the turn signals work and don't work when ever they decide, the the cruise was intermittent for a week or so, now doesn't work at all, the fan settings 1 thru 5 totally do not work now. they would cut out once in a while for the past week then just quit. this is not good as it is very HOT in Az. anyway my question was did replacing some control panel solve your problem??
    at least I know it's not an isolated problem, looks like quite a few have this.
    I have a 2001 MC SS the blower motor for the fan would not work all the time , cruise control would not work, overhead info center also would not work then just come on by them selves. after researching for a while i had the ignition switch replaced by the GM people and all is well since. if you need more info please ask Thanks Ralph.
    Thanks for the quick response, I believe I read somewhere someone else fixed they're problem with an ignition switch. how many other parts had you replaced before the fix? Just wondering. thanks again for the reply, will post again when I get this problem fixed......
    Replace the ignition switch and the cruise and blower is working just fine. Now on to the turn signal problem, they work, then they don't, never know till you turn them on. I have heard the hazard switch could be the culprit. anyone else heard this? it's a dealer item, approx. 50 bucks.............
  • duartduart Member Posts: 4
    I don't know why aftermarket wheel bearings on my 97 Monte Carlo only last about 10,000 miles. The original bearings lasted 12 years/150,000 miles. Is it my installation technique or the quality of aftermarket bearings? I torque them to factory specs. and still no luck.
  • snafujoeysnafujoey Member Posts: 1
    JUST FINISHED REPLACING HEADS, HEAD GASKETS, RADIATOR FAN, AND BATTERY ( FOR THE SECOND TIME). CAR STILL WONT RUN RIGHT, NO TURN SIGNALS, NO INTERIOR LIGHTS, AND THERES A CLICKING NOISE IN PASSENGER SIDE FUSEBOX, AND SOMETIMES THE CAR WILL LOSE ALL POWER WHILE DRIVING IT. CAR WILL CUT OFF, GAUGES STOP WORKING AND EVERYTHING. BATTERY WILL NOT HOLD A CHARGE, HAVE HAD ALTERNATOR AND STARTER TESTED, WITH GOOD RESULTS...
  • daddy818daddy818 Member Posts: 18
    Hello all,
    I was wondering if anyone can give me instructions on how to remove the hazard switch on a '97 Monte Carlo (my son just bought, its his first car) . There are no screws under the steering column behind the steering wheel so I know you can't remove the cover that way, the cover looks to be 1 piece and I'm guessing you have to remove the steering wheel(which has the airbag and I've never dealt with that before- don't want that to go off if I'm messing with it!!) and slide the cover off, after somehow removing the ignition key cylinder. The hole for the hazard switch is on top of the steering column, towards the right(passenger) side, just in front of the ignition key cylinder. I've seen all the electrical problems posted here, I just hope he doesn't start having all those problems. Thanks in advance for any and all help, its much appereciated. :shades:
  • bradley60543bradley60543 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Monte LT, when I use the environmental control system, for say the blower at your feet, face or defrost. The unit doe's the opposite of what you want. Defrost is the vent or at your face, foot and face is defrost, and face is at your feet. Do I need to have something reset? I did disconnect the battery, that didn't do it. Or do I need to bit the bullet and pay the dealer 110bucks to reset it. Help :cry

Thanks Brad
  • montecarl02montecarl02 Member Posts: 6
    This can and will apply to most problems I've read here. My 02' LS started acting up recently(lights flashing, relays clicking, AC shutting off, misfires, ABS/traction inop). Being that I'm an Electronics Tech, there's no reason I can't troubleshoot and repair these issues myself. I found that GM doesn't seem to get the Theory behind electrical current flow (the part about- current flows on the surface of the conductor) Paint isn't conductive (unless it's leaded, but it's NOT). First and foremost check all ground connections under the hood(on engine block or body panels) Seems like they're relying on the bolts to make the contact to the chassis, since all ground connections on the body have paint under them. In doing so I've had a few of the problems start functioning again. I haven't got all fixed, but after tomorrow I should have some more info for all you monte's out there.
  • elizabeth2010elizabeth2010 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 monte carlo and here is the list of problems I'am having.
    I can start my car without problem when its warm outside or the car is warm already, let it sit overnight it takes around 30 to get it started and keep it started. Once it is started there is clicking noise coming from all within the car. The steering column clicks, the fuse box clicks, the door locks click they stayed unlocked but ifyou lock them they unlock. The lights flash, the windows roll up and down to the clicks as well as the wipers whipping at the speed of the clicks. Whats your diagnosis?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Elizabeth2010,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Have you had the vehicle diagnosed for the concerns? How long have the concerns been present? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • gavmontegavmonte Member Posts: 1
    I have been having electrical problems for months. Finally think all is well. Dealer thought it was ignition, then BCM, then hazard switch. They switched out the parts to test, but nothing changed so didn't have to replace parts. Turns out it was ground wires all over the place. Ground in dash took care of turn signal problems and windshield wipers. Getting left on the side of the road when the car just died 4 times was taken care of by fixing a ground in the right front wheel well and fixing a faulty connection in a bundle of wires under the hood just down and to the right of the battery. (sorry I can't be more specific than that.) All the AM radio noise when changing gears, rolling up windows, pulling on headlights and the radio lights delay in coming on disappeared when another ground behind the dash (I think near the hazard switch) was fixed. Plus my key remote started working again. This has been a nightmare but hope that's the end of it.
  • keedaweekeedawee Member Posts: 2
    Check to see if your cooling fans are seized up. Sound like one of the fans is grounding.
  • keedaweekeedawee Member Posts: 2
    Hey everybody I have a 2000 SS and my blinkers and my wipers quit working also my high beams came on when this happened and they won't turn off even with the ignition turned off and the switch off. This all happened during daylight hours. Has anyone had this problem? I'm thinking It's the blinker switch at a cost of a little over 300.00. If this is not true please let me know Thanks
  • bamm1974bamm1974 Member Posts: 1
    My power door locks will not stop locking themselves even with the off, had to disconnect the battery just to make it stop...can anyone help
  • snash68snash68 Member Posts: 1
    Okay, I have read everyone's posts and finally decided to take a shot. I have a 1999 Monte Carlo Z.. I have intermittent problems with the blinker switch, but also have a problem with the clock resetting on my radio every time I start my car. I have also noticed that my radio will blitz when I apply the break. If the windshield wipers are on, the lights on the clock will flicker. Obviously, this is an electrical issue, but no one else seems to be able to deduce this when I have it looked at. It failed emissions because the piece that feeds clearing information is blank. No codes, yet no "all clear" message (as I understand it). I believe the wiring problem is in the column, as the car now has to decide whether it wants to start or give me a hard time. I have been through 2 batteries in the last 6 months, and am having signs that another is in order; yet the alternator checks out, as do any fusible links (at least the ones under the hood). I really like this car, but it is becoming a money pit. HELP!!! :confuse:
  • daddy818daddy818 Member Posts: 18
    Just saw your message,this happened to my wife's 2000 Ford Excursion, switches would constantly lock/unlock, even with no key in the ignition and it turned out to be a power lock switch that had a bad contact spring causing the switch to act as though it was always in the unlock position. The switch on the drivers side front door felt mushy(?) when pressed on the unlock side, in comparison to the other switches which felt like they still had good spring action when pressed on either side of switch. I replaced the switch and that solved the problem. I hope this helps and good luck. Please keep us posted on the results.