Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What is this thing worth?

1171819202123»

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I have owned cars that Consumer's Report said were junk and had great luck with.

" parts were never a problem"

Well, how long ago was that?

Right now, the red flags are SERIOUSLY winning over the green ones!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's the kind of car you have to buy cheap. Whenever I've bought 'risky' cars (and I am not averse to risk in this area), I have to discipline myself to not pay any more than rock-bottom wholesale for it.
    At this point he hasn't called me so I'm guessing he probably sold it.

I know I softened him up a bit which would make it easier on the next person looking at the car.

I figure if I can buy it for 2500.00, I would do the deal. Otherwise I'm not going to have any regrets.

Saabs do have their fans and a person would be hard pressed to find one much nicer than this one.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    Had to look at my spreadsheet to find out it was 2 years ago. wow. Didn't feel like that long ago.

Anyway, thing to remember is that so many generic parts are interchangeable on more than 1 car (such as brakes, shocks, plugs, filters, etc). And many Saab parts carried over for so many years, and I think aftermarket manufacturers will be happy to keep making the parts as long as people are buying.

According to wiki, that first gen 9-3 uses the same basic engine that was introduced in 1981 and was produced up through 2009, at which time the tooling was sold to Beijing Automotive Group, so its probably still being used.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I wouldn't worry so much about mechanical parts as I would the other things.

Like that broken HVAC knob for instance. Now, that would be a "dealer only" item but, of course there are no more dealers.

Trim pieces, body parts, those may be difficult to find as time go's by.

It's not a 55 Chevy where EVERYTHING is reproduced.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    edited October 2013
    true. An accident would be pretty much be it... but, then again, at that value, that would be true no matter what. For minor incidents, I'm sure there is no shortage at junkyards... just yet. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Two friends had 2000-ish Saab convertibles, both had them bought back under lemon laws. Those things were just toooo complicated.