Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2009

Comments

• alymacalymac Member Posts: 31
    Allmet 33
    Your right ..this grill looks a hell of a lot better than the cheapo grill on the Azera.
    Thanks for the post!
    The other cheap offering on the Canadian zera is the economy instrument cluster..
    instead of the electoluminescent cluster on the American Azera. The marketing
    fellow in Toronto said the electroluminescent panel would have added $600.00
    bucks to the car..in 2006 anyway. Would have been worth it!
    Cheers,
    alymac
  • donna388donna388 Member Posts: 69
    "The other cheap offering on the Canadian zera is the economy instrument
    cluster instead of the electoluminescent cluster on the American Azera."

In the first place, this 'cheap offering' as you put it is common only to the
    GLS and the SE models here in Estados Unidos.
    I think that you will probably find that 'cheap offering' dash in all Canadian
    models but the Ultra Limited. Someone please check on this.
    I happen to prefer my dash panel to the electroluminescent panel for several reasons:

1.) My dash is always visible. There is no need to turn on the key for the dash to appear.

2.) Sooner or later, being electronic, something can and will probably fail because it is electronic. If you have the 'cheap offering' as I do, consider yourself to be most fortunate.

3.) Is it me, or is the 'cheap offering' easier to read? It is I think. That's only my opinion.

As far as the standard Azera grill is concerned, I happen to prefer it also.
    I know one fellow who changed his GLS to an aftermarket grill, and he said it was a big job. When he traded his Azera, he didn't remove the aftermarket grill, saying it was hard to install and he didn't want to go through all of that again to put the stock grill back in.

"The marketing fellow in Toronto said the electroluminescent
    panel would have added $600.00 bucks to the car."

Although that electroluminescent panel is most certainly more expensive than
    the 'cheap offering' dash panel, I seriously doubt that the electroluminescent
    dash would add $600 to the cost of the Azera.

Too bad they didn't apply some of the money they saved into better built shock absorbers!

Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

:)
    Donna 338
    My understanding from the dealer and from Toronto was that the electoluminescent
    dial was not available in any Canadian Azera in 2006........though Im not sure what
    was offered in 2007
    Anyway the Azera is a great car....my hope is they dont discontinue it with the advent of a suc cess store with the Genesis.
    And you too, have a thankful Thanksgiving
    Alymac
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    I know one fellow who changed his GLS to an aftermarket grill, and he said it was a big job.
    I have changed the grille on my '06 Azera and did not find it a big job, maybe a couple hours, tops. There are some weird fasteners involved, but if one has a decent selection of tools, its no big deal.
  • grayfoxgrayfox Member Posts: 166
    I changed my Azera stock grille to an "H-Less" Korean model in an hour and twenty minutes. Not a difficult job with a little patience.
    Now, I see that the Genesis grille apparently fit into my Azera from the photos on this site. Hmmmmm. :)
  • sriptonsripton Member Posts: 20
    i need to know if any 08 azera ltd nav owners have seen the back of the LG unit and could describe any additional interfaces, as well as any 09 nav owners who may have seen the back of the rev 02 nav unit in the 09. I've contacted dealers and LG and Hyundai and none have any technical data beyond the relatively poor manual provided. Before i make my arthritic hands get into the dash, I'd like to know if there is any ability to add an I/O device through the headunit without using fm modulators or such and what is the difference between the 08 and 09 headunits. The 09 does show a new revision number for the LG unit, but the units appear to be identical. a picture of the back of the headunits would make my day!!
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    I've replaced many a stock head unit in my young 38 years and I haven't come across any that offered any sort of interfaces without having to purchase some aftermarket piece to make it happen. As cool as it would be for an automaker to provide an owner with the ability to customize their entertainment system, the most you can hope for is USB or Aux inputs.
  • carfan37carfan37 Member Posts: 15
    Hi there- I reside in South FL & am starting my search for the '09 Azera; I know what I want, & color combo: limited w/ultimate pckg (No navi.) Sounds like the numbers you were quoted seem pretty good - how did you make out? I think I wld be happy with the $26,053 quote.
  • carfan37carfan37 Member Posts: 15
    I have just begun my seach for the Hyundai Azera I want: 2009, Limited - Ultimate w/no navi (blk exterior brown interior.)

- I am a medical sales rep & therefore opt'd for the brn vs beige interior (wear & tear)
    (will probably not do more than 16k miles a year)

- Live in South FL - what's a fair price?

- Should I indeed stick with the brown interior vs beige, based on reviews..
    Thnx - appreciate responses
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Will hit the domestic market first next month and other markets later in the year. I'd venture to guess the North American market sees it on the 2010 model year that's coming next year.

Some useful info:

Hyundai Develops Own Six-Speed Automatic for Improved Fuel Efficiency

- Hyundai becomes 3rd company in the world to develop own 6-speed automatic transaxle
    - New transaxle boosts fuel economy by 12%, is 12kg lighter and has 62 fewer parts than a 5-speed
    - First application will be in Grandeur/Azera models beginning in January 2009

More: http://jalopnik.com/5116412/hyundais-new-in+house-six-speed-auto-transmission-hi- ts-azera-first
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    If, (according to the propaganda on the link above) it's that good, it seems logical the (2) 6-speeds in Genesis will be replaced by the new in-house.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    How would you suggest that a front wheel drive transmission with half shaft outputs on the sides of the unit be used in a rear wheel drive vehicle which requires a drive shaft output on the rear of the unit????
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    Thanks as always for the scoop, Joe.

Do you see an all-new Azera coming in 2010?
    If Hyundai has developed an in-house for some of their FWD, would it not seem logical (even to you) they would do likewise for their one, soon to be two RWD's?
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Sorry, I must have misinterpreted, "it seems logical the (2) 6-speeds in Genesis will be replaced by the new in-house." Perhaps you meant to say "a" new in-house instead of "the" new in-house.
  • cbar34cbar34 Member Posts: 9
    Sounds great to me. I assume there will be a redesigned 2010 Azera for this new tranny? I've heard there may be one in the works but haven't seen anything definite yet.
    Indeed, a slip of the keyboard on my part.
    Do you see an all-new Azera coming in 2010?

I do, actually. The timing sounds about right.
    They could use their own 6-speed trannies to cut costs a lil bit, but if they are having success with the ZF & Aisin trannies...I would think they would stick with them and use the Hyundai made 6-speeds in the likes of the Azera & Veracruz (doubt if the Sonata would get one).
    Kia VG to be based on next generation Hyundai Azera

There's a blurb in the article, "According to a leaked document outlining Kia’s future product plans, the new sedan is set to make its world debut in August next year with sales expected in the following month. Around the same time Hyundai will also introduce its new Azera."
    The new in-house 6-speed tranny will debut first on the Azera this January (defn. for the Korean domestic market), and then Santa Fe. Edmunds has a recent article stating the 6spd would eventually spread to 16 different models (which I am guessing including Kias as well - ie Sorento).
    Boy, buying cars is getting to be like buying computers: If you can wait longer, you'll always get more.
    Hyundai Azera will get new 6-speed transmission

Kathy Jackson
    Automotive News
    January 9, 2009 - 3:59 pm ET

LOS ANGELES -- The Hyundai Azera sedan will be the first U.S. vehicle to get the new six-speed automatic transmission developed by Hyundai Motor Co.

The transmission, the first six-speed developed in-house by Hyundai, will be in Azeras with 3.3-liter V-6 engines. The Azera also is available with a 3.8-liter V-6.

Hyundai says the transmission will enable the Azera to get about 20 mpg city/29 highway, compared with 18/26 on the 2009 Azera with a five-speed automatic. The company also says the six-speed enables the Azera to go from 0-60 in 7.8 seconds, compared with 8.0 seconds with the five-speed.

Hyundai is building the transmission in Korea and will start putting it in the Azera this month. It has not priced the Azera with the six-speed transmission. The 2009 Azera with the five-speed retails for $25,695, including shipping.

The redesigned Santa Fe SUV, scheduled to arrive in late 2009 or early 2010, also will get the new transmission.
    Thanks as always for the scoops, Joe.

Very interesting. Addresses one of the foremost complaints about the Azera.

Next question is, will the Limited still be unavailable with the 3.3? This will mean a lot less if it's only available with the slow-selling stripper model (even though it isn't really very stripped).
    Next question is, will the Limited still be unavailable with the 3.3? Good question.
    We could be seeing the beginning of reducing engine displacements for better fuel economy. With lots of manufacturers going to direct injection, they're able to get comparable HP from smaller engines. Couple that with the limits imposed by torque steer in FWD applications, and we could see displacements dropping.
    I just saw the a write up on the new Buick LaCrosse, a car I previously would not have given a second glance at. The car is gorgeous and comes with a direct injection 3.0 ( I would estimate close to 250HP ) as well as the regular 3.6 liter.
    Actually Cobrazera...I'm wondering with Hyundai bring a diesel engine option to the Veracruz, will a diesel engine trickle down to the sedans. It would seem the move to make with Volkswagen doing it as well as BMW releasing diesel sedans now as well. Personally, I think it would be a better option than going with smaller displacement, direct-injection engines.
    A good point, but diesels are going to cost more due to their turbochargers, expensive catalysts, etc., and weigh more due to the cast iron required to withstand the combustion pressures.
    So long as diesel fuel is not much more expensive than gas right now ( probably due largely to decreased demand by commercial trucking ) it would still be a viable option. Problem is, when the economy takes off and demand for diesel fuel increases, look for the price to be way more than gas again - like it was last spring and summer.
    According to a C&D editorial that I read a while back, our country lacks sufficient refinery capacity for diesel fuel. Over 60% of U.S. refinery output is gasoline, and that ratio can not change in favor of diesel without building new refineries ( BTW, Europe refineries produce over 60% diesel fuel ). Spending billions on new construction is something the major oil companies are reluctant to do - especially considering that overall fuel economy continues to improve and demand will drop. If capacity stays tight, prices stay high, and they make more profit - hence no incentive to invest the money.
    As far as fuel economy goes, the new Ford Fusion Hybrid has raised the bar with what gasoline power in a midsize sedan can do.
    How much more? I would think the price would be offset with the savings in fuel. Look at the Jetta TDI...when compared to the regular gas burning 2.0 T's...price increase of maybe $1500-2500 and you jump at least 10 mpg better. Depending on the amount of driving you do, that price difference can quickly be offset in fuel savings.
    At 15K miles per year, with the Jetta gas motor getting 25MPG and the diesel getting 35MPG, annual fuel costs are exactly the same with gas at $2.50/gal and diesel at $3.50/gal. Cost for comparable models ( SE and TDI ) shows the TDI to be $3000 more in initial cost, offset somewhat by tax credits on the diesel .
    Even assuming maintenance to be the same ( IMO, the diesel would cost more ), the diesel is still not a moneysaving proposition unless you're getting your fuel at McDonalds and Waffle house.
    I rented a diesel Ryder truck to move my mother's household goods from Fla to Michigan a couple years ago and lived with the pluses and minuses of a diesel. It pulled hard up the mountains without a downshift, but refill time was spent with the stinky semis with oily and smelly hands. IMO, hybrid is a better way to go, at least here in the U.S.
    You know...IF that were the case, I would agree completely, but in my area...regular gas is $1.76/gal. and diesel is $2.49/gal. So, yes...there would be some savings, but it would take a little longer to recoup the price difference. Using the diesel moving truck as an example is really bad. I say that because most gas staions in the DC Metro area have diesel pumps nestled between the regular gas pumps, so you would be filling up amongst regular cars. You mention the iron used as the metal that can withstand the combustion, that's offset by the huge increase in torque most diesel engines offer...it can easily pull that extra weight around and now they are making them with more horespower and turbo-charging them for more ooomph. I actually like the way the diesel engines are evolving.

Hybrids...really are a joke unless you drive into the city on a daily basis. People kill me when they go out to buy a hybrid only to drive it to the metro station or use for weekend running and it's mostly highwy miles. You do not begin to tap into a hybrid's full capability until you are driving it in stop and go traffic. If you go an compare a non-hybrid model to it's hybrid mate...the highway mileage is pretty much the same, the big difference is the city mileage.
  • budwizerbudwizer Member Posts: 2
    Hello forum members,

I am new to Hyundai, the Azera, and the forum. After finding your forum, I have a question for you. My 09 Azera has a suspension noise (clunking noise) when going over bumps at city driving speeds. Is this normal noise or am I experiencing the dreaded clink some of the earlier models had?
    At highway speeds the car handles well and is sooooooo quiet. That is why we bought it.
    Thanks,
    Bud
  • ladylindakladylindak Member Posts: 8
    Hi Snaglepus - Thanks for the information - I am going to rush home to check my "born on" date. I bought my car in July 2008 and I think it rides OK - but since I drove a 1999 - 5 speed - Hyundai Tiburon (which I love) for the past 9 years - I'm not used to a "luxury" car - so I might not know the difference. My question is - if people are having "suspension" issues - since the car is under warranty couldn't they just take the car back and have it fixed by the dealer?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A national business reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Hyundai because of the Assurance Program (or Assurance Program Plus). Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, March 13, 2009.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hi Bud.

Opinions on the suspension issue are not unanimous. Here's the best summary I can offer, along with a bit of advice: Don't assume the most vociferous opinions are necessarily the consensus on what's right for your car.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f43c4/1133
  • lovlandlovland Member Posts: 1
    Hello guys...about a week ago some ********scratched my black Azera 2009 with something sharp and left a very unpleasent mark on my car ,i wanted to ask if its possible to buy the original black color for this car or sth of high quality that is made for Azera 2009 Black..can you guys do me a favor and introduce me an online market where i can get the original color for my car to be able to fix the scratches.btw theye are Hyundai dealers here who would do the job ..but i dont trust their work,so i wanted to find the and buy a pack of original color for my car to fix it myself....Any help would be appriciated.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    You can buy touch-up paint tubes from either your local Hyundai dealer's part department or try some online merchant like
    http://www.hyundaiaccessorystore.com/

I don't know how extensive the damage is. But seldom can you fix it by yourself & almost all the time they stand out like a sore thumb. I would seriously urge you to go to a professional body shop & get them to do it.

You don't need to go to a Hyundai dealer to fix it. Look for a reputed body shop. My advice is to find the body shop of your local luxury dealer such as Lexus, BMW, MB, Porsche etc. They usually have the latest & greatest equipment & usually are better trained than your local Hyundai dealer's bodyshop people. Get a quote from multiple good body shops, look at their reviews & then choose a shop.

If the quotes aren't too expensive, you can pay for it yourself. If it turns out to be expensive, you can ask your insurance to cover it.

I would seriously urge you not to try to do it yourself. It never ever turns out well & you might do more damage than good.

Good luck!
    Here's another link you can try as well...

Brandsport: Touch Up Paint
  • bmb1767bmb1767 Member Posts: 64
    Just ordered a new iTouch. Am I getting my hopes up too high that it will work with the bluetooth in my Azera?
  • ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    Anybody seen the 2011 Azera yet? I haven't heard much (if anything) about it, but here's a pix: image
    SWEET!!! Maybe I was wrong about them not continuing the Azera in 2011!!!
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    With the new Sonata offering 4 cylinder only ( up to about 200HP ), it looks as if those desiring V6 power in FWD have only one option from Hyundai - the Azera.
    Wow...I wasn't aware that the Sonata wouldn't be offering a V-6 any more. That's pretty crazy considering it's the direct competition against the Camry & Accord. I guess that's their way of justifying keeping the Azera (which I'm not mad about at all).
    Allmet,
    Hyundai , in my opinion, doesnt have a clue of what there doing. Im now living in the
    interior of Canada...the salesman at the Hyundai dealership said that the Sonata 4 cyclinder will not sell in this area due to the small motor. The Azera ,which I own, is
    being discontinued in Canada as of 2009 .Now the Equus in the States to sell for
    $75000.00..again nuts! Who would buy aHyundai for that price. Not I. Also being said that a smaller Genesis might be in the offering????????????
    This company is becoming another GM...throw as many cars out there an hope someone buys one.....................et at Detroit a 2012 Azera...go fiqure!
    Alymac
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    2.4L is the same size 4 in the outgoing Sonata and the current CR-V & Accord. It's 0.1L smaller than the Forester & Camry I4s but 0.1L larger than Mazda.

I suggest going to a dealer where the sales staff have a clue or don't have an agenda.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    I read yesterday that a V6 and/or a turbo 4 could come at a later date. IMO, a modern turbo 4 with DI could produce an easy 250 HP - the turbo 4 in the Chevy HHR is a 2.0 liter with 260HP.
    edited February 2010
    All due respect, pricing the Equus at $75k or even close would price them out of the market they are hoping to take a bite out of. The Lexus LS460, which the Equus is taking direct aim at, starts out around the low-mid $60K's. My thinking is with the Genesis topping out around $40K, the Equus would probably start in the upper $40K's, fully loaded...top out around $60K.

2011 Equus Review

Now...the initial Equus is going to have a tweaked version of the 4.6 V-8 that's in the Genesis. Word has it that Hyundai is cooking up a 5.0 V-8 (pushing over 400 hp) to go in in a high-line version (long wheel base) of the Equus at a later date:

Equus LWB with 5.0 V-8

Even if Hyundai's taking the GM approach, at least they are producing cars the folks WANT to own because of the value and now...they are looking really, really nice!!! :shades:
  • dcrobbie22041dcrobbie22041 Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2010
    If the rumors are true about positioning their models and brands upmarket are true, keeping the Sonata to a 4 cylinder and Azera to a 6 cylinder makes absolute sense. They could offer the Sonata and Azera in both basic and limited trims, make the Genesis their 8 cylinder car (again in both basic and limited trims), and then the Equus would be their ultra-luxury and big-engine offering.

Hyundai definitely has a huge opportunity with Toyota in the hot seat; don't think they won't take advantage of it. Hyundai is doing something right considering they are the only car maker that didn't take an actual decline in sales here in the US in the worst of the recession. Plus, as an owner of 3 Hyundais so far, my 2008 Azera is the best thing I've ever driven. My senior dad (though still working as a CFO in retirement from Gov't) is going to get a Genesis in November after his 3rd in last 10 years Cadillac lease expires because he loves my Azera so much and was gaga over the Genesis when we test drove one while waiting for routine oil change and tire rotation on my Azera a few months ago. Mom is on board also.

If my Dad is ready to throw Cadillac under the bus, even with the sweet deals they are already offering him to get another one, what does this say about their image nowadays? WOW!
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    I read a lot in car forums and do not believe that any such forum has shown the civility and friendliness that permeates this forum. I am recently attracted by the Azera. Perhaps the car attracts pragmatic, straightforward types. Whatever the reason, my compliments to the posters and host.