Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Hyundai Elantra

backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
I saw some 2010 Elantras at my local dealer today. Without close inspection it's hard to tell them from 2009s, visually. Here's the differences I noted:

* The new Blue trim gets a "Blue" badge (in blue, of course) next to the Elantra badge on the trunk lid.
* The plastic piece over the rear license plate has a bit of chrome added along the lower edge, looks classier.
* New grille, with a bit of chrome, but still horizontal bars--looks nicer, but hard to tell apart from the old grille unless a 2009 is side-by-side (which was the case). I think this is an attempt to tie the Elantra visually to the likes of the Genesis and 2011 Sonata.
* A bit higher FE numbers, especially on the Blue but also on the regular Elantras.
* Metallic trim on the wheel and center stack and console is now a brushed-aluminum look, and looks better to me than that patterned stuff on the 2007-9 Elantra.
* Door handles and lock buttons on doors are chromed vs. silver painted.
* Center console has been redesigned and looks nicer, with a flip lid over the cup holders.
* I saw an SE with the new black interior, which has patterned inserts but looks like the same cloth as the grey interior but is... black.
* Not sure if the 2009 SE had this, but the auto shifter has a chrome insert on top.

(Host, do we need a 2010 Elantra discussion now?)

Comments

• xiaomanxiaoman Member Posts: 8
    2010 Elantra Touring, manual, no other options, OTD 15,000. I live in northern virginia. Is this a good deal? How much more can I negotiate? Shall I ask for a 2009 model instead (somehow I thought the 2009 model is better)? Thank you very much.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    2010 Elantra Touring, manual, no other options, OTD 15,000

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When you say OTD I assume you mean $15,000 plus tax, title and license. Sticker on the car is $16,715 so that's over 10% off sticker. A good deal by me.

If that price includes T,T and L then you stole it for that price.
  • 09elantraowner09elantraowner Member Posts: 18
    Agreed - INV w/dest = $16,245
    TMV (NOVA area) w/dest = $16,603

However, that's with the 2010 rebate of only $500.00
    If you picked a 2009, the rebate would be $1500...just a thought...
  • thailuxthailux Member Posts: 7
    What do you guys think?

MSRP - 20935
    OTD (Including 7% tax and title) - 20071

No money out of pocket.
    No trade.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    MSRP - 20935
    OTD (Including 7% tax and title) - 20071

No money out of pocket.
    No trade.

===========================

I'm reading your OTD price as $18,6xx PLUS TTL. If you are getting a low interest rate, then that is a good deal. You are at $2,300 below sticker and I can't imagine you'd do better anywhere else.

Don't pay 8 or 9% interest these days though. That blows your good deal out of the water.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    "Don't pay 8 or 9% interest these days though. That blows your good deal out of the water. "

You got that right. Austin Telco FCU is quoting 3.69% for up to 60 months.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Why is the choice (?) or lack thereof in the exterior color so limited with the light interior? I live in the south, and DO NOT WANT a black interior, or for that matter exterior either. Thanks, but no thanks. Why can I not order something I would like? I think the black exterior looks beautiful, but would never consider buying one. I feel the same way about the inside. Where is the choice in "build it yourself"? :confuse: Why even have a build it yourself ?
    I know, different strokes for different folks.. oh well..

van
  • bigdave02bigdave02 Member Posts: 2
    My old car is dead, and I need to get a new car ASAP! I used to drive a 1989 Eagle Summit (Mitsubishi Mirage) for 15 years that I loved.It was surprisingly roomy for my 6'2" 325 lbs. physique.I just drove with the driver seat pushed all of the way back, and tilted back one notch.Alas the car eventually died, and I bought a used 1998 Lumina which was the car from hell.Always something going wrong with it.So it is at the point where I can't drive it anymore, and it is not worth fixing.It was roomy though, even though I had to tilt the seat back a notch or two for my height.

My friend thinks that the 2010 Elantra will be too small for me, and that the bucket seats won't hold up.I did have to replace the driver's seat in my Summit/Mirage, but that was after like eight or ten years.

I know that the Elantra is good with head and leg room.But what about width? It is good for tall drivers, but is it also roomy enough for 'Big' drivers? Any other 'Big' people out there drive 2009/2010 Elantras? How is the room?

I am considering the 2010 Elantra GLS with option package, the SE, and the Touring.All with Automatic.I only drive about 4K miles a year, and am looking for a cheap but super reliable car, mainly that will accommodate my 6'2", 325 lb. bulk!

Corolla doesn't sound good for tall drivers.I like the Elantra: its price, reliability, head and leg room.But still worried about my girth in it.Also, looking at the Kia Forte and Ford Fusion.Don't want to spend what an Accord or Camry would cost me! Any info greatly appreciated! Of course I am going to test drive any car before I buy it.But getting to the dealership is going to be pain.So I want to find cars before then that can accommodate my bulk! Thanks, Dave!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If were you I'd first take an Elantra for a long test drive. If that seems OK to you, then I recommend you rent an Elantra for a couple of days (2007-2010 seating is all the same). Many rental companies have them, e.g. Hertz and Enterprise. Drive it as much as you can during that time (get an unlimited miles rental of course!). That will give you a good idea if you'll be comfortable in it.

One thing: SE and Touring have a telescopic wheel, which might help you find a comfortable driving position. I think the Touring has a lumbar adjustment also.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Having driven both the Elantra sedan and Touring, I'm sure that your height won't be a problem--there's gobs of headroom--especially on the Touring. The interior space is pretty open too, so I doubt that you would feel confined. But as Backy said, the only way to know for sure is to try one out.

The Elantra has a reputation for having more space than most cars in its size/price range. Please write back after you've driven one and let us know whether or not you feel comfortable in it.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Here is a link to some not-great spy pics of the camo'ed next-gen Elantra. The important part is some of the info posted on the page. Enjoy.

2011 Elantra info

;)
    We should probably be referring to this car as the 2012 Elantra, since it appears it will be going on sale in early 2011--hence will likely be 2012 MY. That makes sense also considering the last redesign came for 2007 MY in late 2006, so that would be a five-year duration for Gen 4.
    We should probably be referring to this car as the 2012 Elantra,

picky, picky, picky... :P

;)
    Here are a few pics of the interior of the next-gen Elantra, along with some details. Looks sharp!

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.php/2009/12/28/2011-hyundai-elantra-interior-p- - ictures/
    The blogger is right, the interior looks a lot like the Tucson and Sonata. Hyundai is definitely building a family identity in its cars. There is a hint of "cheap boom box" here, though--a little too much fake metal trim for my taste (assuming Hyundai won't put real aluminum trim in a low-end car like the Elantra). It probably looks better in color.

The placement of the inboard air vents is interesting. Hyundai got criticized for similar placement on the 2006-8 Sonata, but they are trying it again. There's room for them up higher, where the big swatches of silvery trim are. But the Sonata has vents there. Maybe Hyundai didn't want the Elantra to look too much like the Sonata? Otherwise I cant figure out why they wouldn't put the vents up higher, more vertical, and larger.

The side view looks very sleek and clean, without the curvy side details that turned many people off on the current Elantra. I can't wait to see the full exterior view, undisguised.
  • susan_spencersusan_spencer Member Posts: 8
    In market for purchase and have driven both the Sedan and Touring. Thought either might work for me however liked larger size of Touring. Have been following posts. Overall, reliability does not seem to be an issue. Looks like electric power steering and road noise are most often discussed but perhaps this is something can get used to. Have checked out safety before purchase on 2009-2010 models and have not seen much discussion here. It is not the government's NHTSA stats that concern me but the IIHS stats that give me pause on both models side impact ratings even with side airbags and vehicle stability control. Best ratings are for cars 65 and lower with no poor or marginal on side ratings. The Elantra is at 81.9 with "Marginal" Side Impact. The Touring 83.2 apparently due to side scores as well. I know everyone is concerned with safety as well as with affordability! Would appreciate feedback from others on safety with Elantra and car buying decision. Thank you!
    I share your concern. In fact, there would probably be an 2008 Elantra sedan in my garage right now were it not for its showing on the IIHS side impact test, since I like the car otherwise (especially the SE trim). I think that is a very sorry showing for a car redesigned for the 2007 MY. Consider that almost all other small cars have better scores. Even some much smaller cars, such as the Versa and Yaris, score "Good" on IIHS side impact. And the cheapo Yaris even has ESC standard, whereas that feature is only available on the SE trim for the Elantra sedan (but is standard on the Touring).

Hyundai did some noteworthy things re safety in the past, such as pioneering standard side airbags on small cars (2001 Elantra), offering the first family sedan with standard ESC (2006 Sonata), and making ABS standard on its low-end car, at least briefly (2006 Accent sedan). But they seem to be lagging in crash safety on their bread-and-butter sedans, doing well only on their larger vehicles.

Since there are several other good small cars that offer better crash test scores than the Elantra, e.g. Corolla (standard ESC on all trims), Civic (ESC only on top trim), Mazda3 (ESC standard on all trims), Kia Soul (ESC standard), and Impreza (standard ESC and AWD), you could look at some of those. The 2009 Jetta and Rabbit also have very good crash protection and standard ESC, and you might be able to find a closeout deal on those. The 2010 Golf is very good also, albeit a little pricey.
  • susan_spencersusan_spencer Member Posts: 8
    I really appreciate your prompt and thoughtful response. I was hoping and needing to seal a deal in 2009! Perhaps tomorrow!

It was suggested to me to go with Certified pre-owned or new. I was drawn to Elantra for reliability and price not for size- a bit small for me. Feel more comfortable in a car a bit larger with neutral carriage not riding low to ground. Replacing a 15 yr old Camry. Thought I might find a 05/06 Camry w/side airbags but I'm done after months of searching. They're a good value. Happy to go a bit smaller than Camry. Drove an '07 Accord but drive felt like too much car for me. The older Accord before everything was "giganticized" would have been fine!

I liked the Corolla as the new design is larger and taller and safety ratings and resale are decent. Don't know what to make however of the complaints now reported on the electric power steering- driver's working hard to keep the car straight- in their lane. Because it is first year of redesign, better to wait? Otherwise thought would work for me even though smaller than I'm used to. Maybe you can advise further on this so will know your opinion on this issue.

Liked the Impreza, a good size but a bit pricey and low MPG. The drive on the VW's as well as Elantra felt a bit foreign after the Camry. Don't mind a tigher suspension as I like to feel I am driving the car. Considered Volvo S40 was cautioned to avoid brand. (?)

Would be great if there were only one car and once it was worn out, you simply went and picked up another! Right now just need easy to drive/safe ride with some resale and hold for 2-4 years. Have to deal with carport parking : )! Perhaps you might have another suggestion on smaller mid-size which might be purchased new or pre-owned and some add'l feedback on purchase of Corolla.

Grateful for your help! Maybe I will start 2010 with some wheels! ;)
    I had good luck buying a 2007 Rabbit last April, VW Certified, about 4 years of VW warranty left on it, was only $11k--but that was near the bottom of the used car market, might be a little more today for a 2008. Loved the way it drove, very comfortable seats, 4 door has good utility if not as roomy as the Touring. I traded it last month only because my wife decided she wanted one larger car (our other at home is a 2004 Elantra hatch), so I traded the Rabbit even-up on a 2007 Sonata. Jetta is of course the sedan version of the Rabbit/Golf. VW Certified Jettas are available also, and they are less rare than Rabbits. Fuel economy won't be as good as the Elantra, but not that much lower, and much more fun to drive with better safety.

Another nice car (used) is a 2007-8 Mazda6. Kind of between a compact and mid-sized car, great handling, decent if not great crash scores. 2009 Optimas are now available used in limited quantities and those can be good deals used too--a little smaller than the Sonata, good crash scores (except just "average" on IIHS side impact), and 2009 models have standard ESC/ABS. A little sharper handling than the Sonata also. Has the 5-year warranty ala Hyundai.

Corollas are fine if you are looking for a smooth ride vs. crisp handling, very good fuel economy, good safety features, and don't need a roomy back seat as in an Elantra or a mid-sized car. Take it for a long test drive to see if you like the feel of the EPS. I didn't have any problem with it, although it's not as crisp as several other small cars. Interesting thing is, a Corolla LE with its standard ESC is probably going to cost no more or even less than an Elantra SE with standard ESC, and resale value will be better on the Corolla (also on the Vdubs). And the Matrix is of course the wagon version of the Corolla. You might check your Pontiac dealer to see if they have any special closeout specials on the Vibe--it's the Matrix with a different skin.

Good luck on your car shopping!
  • mabelb99mabelb99 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, bought a '10 Elantra last week and had no problems until Monday AM. Let it warm up 3-4 minutes and then it shifted 1st to 2nd up around 4000 rpm with a nice clunk/jolt (reminded me of a former car with transmission problems). thought maybe it was just the cold. Monday evening, same issue after sitting at work for 8 hours. Tuesday AM, same thing, a rough shift 1st the 2nd just trying to get out of my neighborhood. Wedensday AM, warmed up 6-7 minutes and no problem. Wednesday evening, slight jolt after sitting at work all day. Thursday AM, we tried 1-2 minute warm-up to see if it was indeed a "cold start" issue and the jolt/clunk happened trying to go to Reverse. hmmmm....has anyone had this issue with 2010 or previous Elantras? I have an appt. next week--just hoping to make it to and from work until then. thanks! :confuse:
    1-4 minutes is not enough to fully warm up the powertrain after sitting all day in cold weather. I don't know how cold it is where you live, but where I live it's been near -20 F recently, and I would never rev the engine to 4000 rpms in that kind of weather without driving it quite a ways first. (Actually, I could probably count on one hand the times I've had my 2004 Elantra up to 4000 rpms, in any weather.)

Let us know what the dealer says.
    thanks! 4000 rpm was not intentional---it just happened that it would not shift until then, and was actually quite a surprise when this happened since the previous few days were fine. we are about 20-30F in the morning this time of year. i'll give extra-long warm-ups until I get it to the dealer. thanks again! :)
  • dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    With the state of modern automatic transmissions, you should not get any kind of jolt or clunk, no matter the weather. If I were you, I'd take it straight back to the dealer. Cars don't need long warmups these days.
    update on the '10 Elantra. Took it in to let the dealer experience the car in the AM/cold and they have the same problem. Could be a sensor or could be something more, so they are going to replace the transmission. :sick: With less than 700 miles on the car, I sure hope this is a random fluke. :confuse: I am otherwise very happy with my car. thanks for the ideas and suggestions!
  • tommieztommiez Member Posts: 11
    Test drove a GLS and liked it but decided on the SE because of the features. I didn't test the SE because I assumed all the trims handled the same. But then the very last minute I tested the SE and was surprised to find the steering so stiff and uncompromising - like driving a truck. Is this my imagination or is there a tangible difference in the steering between the two. Thanks for your feedback.
  • seanbirdseanbird Member Posts: 4
    I bought my 2010 Elantra 12 weeks ago ,only had the car for 2 weeks started to hear a loud knocking noise every time i turned the wheel to the left and if i went over a speed bump. Took the car to the dealership they tried to tell me thats just the way the car is, i didnt believe them so i brought it back a week later and they replaced a gasket and an o-ring,still had the same problem, after the service manager gave me the run around for 2 weeks i brought the car back and they replaced the whole strutt and strutt mount, it still makes the knocking noise.Wondering if anyone else who owns a 2010 Elantra has any problems with the suspension or makes any noises.
    Find another dealer. I've driven many 2007-9 Elantras (same design as the 2010) and there's been no loud knocking noise when turning the wheel or going over a speed bump. You might also call Hyundai Customer Service and report this run-around you are getting from the dealer.
  • colellorkcolellork Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2010 Elantra and the next day I was calling the salesperson because the ride was very bouncy. It was so bouncy that it was making me sick to my stomach. They now say after four trips to the dealership that it has the wrong springs installed on the vehicle. Did the dealership resolve your problem??
    Was the dealer able to fix the problem? Which part(s) were replaced? I ask because I am wondering if in fact it was the struts that were replaced, vs. springs.

This is the first time I have heard of this problem in ANY new car, let alone an Elantra. Must be some huge mess-up on the assembly line to put the wrong springs/whatever into the car! :surprise:
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Three options:
    1. As noted, try another dealer.
    2. Call Hyundai and open a case with them. Maybe they can nudge the dealer.
    3. You took it back 3 times and it wasn't fixed. Tell them to fix or you'll invoke the Lemon Law and they can buy it back. (Lemon Law requirements vary by state so check it out before you go this route)
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    The dealership hasnt fixed the problem yet, they have had my car for almost 2weeks. I've also already called hyundai consumer affairs they called the dealership and consumer affairs is calling me tuesday. So as of now the dealer has replaced the strutt gasket and o-ring, the strutt and the strutt-mount, who knows what they're doin to it now.
    edited February 2010
    Which dealership? It would be good to know so others can avoid them. It doesn't seem like they know cars or how to treat customers.
    I dont think they know whats wrong with it, because now this will be the 4th time they've had it.
    I drove a GLS as a loaner while my SE was being repaired and I did not notice any difference with the steering. I would definitely suggest taking it in to be checked out.
    is the sound in the steering wheel or below you? I had a friend who had a part of the car horn come loose in the steering wheel and it had nearly the same symptoms.
    The sound is below me, I can feel it in my feet, it happens every time I turn the wheel to the left and sometimes if I go over a speed bump.
  • colellorkcolellork Member Posts: 2
    They replaced the back springs but the front are on back order. I am just over driving it. Feels like I am driving a trampoline down the road.
    Did they explain why the springs were not the correct spec--and what in fact they were?? I wonder if they were springs from the SE, which has a stiffer ride (not trampoline-level however).
  • consumerwiseconsumerwise Member Posts: 26
    We found color choices dismal. But then, we were giving our nice yellow Toyota Matrix to our son (we miss it dearly). The yellow was a nice yellow - not the construction color you see on other manufacturers models. However, when looking to buy an E/T we found two choices, Black with Black interior or White with Black or tan interior and finally Black with Tan interior. You cannot imagine how dismayed we were with the color choices and not having time to order one in vivid blue - the only color we really would have chosen to begin with. We ended up with the Black Pearl (aughhhhhh) with tan interior. Tell ya what - NEVER again will we buy a black car unless they wash it for free on a weekly basis! What a mess! All the manufacturers need to step up to the color wheel!
    Here's a link to some new pics and info on the upcoming new Elantra.

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.php/2010/02/26/spy-shots-hyundai-to-launch-new- -md-elantra-this-year/
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 9
    I purchases a 2010 Elantra one month ago. I love the car but one thing I notice is the brakes make noise after it rains which lessens after I drive the car but some noise still remains when I apply the brakes. I have 1600 miles on the car and am thinking of having the dealer check brakes when I get first oil change. Has anyone else noticed this noise on their new Elantra?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Is it a low rumbly/grinding type noise?
    yes, sort of, especially when it's wet out, but it gets much quieter after I start driving although I still hear slight noise when braking. I asked my mechanic and he said it's nothing to worry about. I'll keep an eye (or ear) on them though. I wouldn't expect brand new brake pads and rotors making any noise.
    Typical of oxidation on the rotors. When it rains, the moisture causes a bit of oxidation (rust) to form on the surface of the pads. If you look on a new car lot you'll see lots of brake rotors looking rusty. When you apply the brake the rust is eliminated and the sound diminishes.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Just like after coming out of a car wash...the brakes need to dry off. But same idea actually. Brakes should be just fine on such a new vehicle.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

That makes sense. The brakes have been quieter since we've had dry weather. Thanks.
    The issue will prove more noticeable during the humid summer months here in Birmingham, AL.

Enjoy your ride!

:)
    I am glad to see Hyundai is finally getting serious about crash safety of their sedans. The Genesis and Sonata are IIHS Top Safety Picks, and the 2010 Elantra would be a Top Safety Pick if it had been tested for rollover by the IIHS (which it hasn't yet) and scored well on that. Elantras made after November 2009 have design changes to improve side impact protection, which was Marginal and now Good. Also the whiplash protection is Good for 2010, up from Average in 2009. It's good to see Hyundai not waiting until the next-gen Elantra, which is right around the corner, to make significant safety improvements. Would have been nice if ESC had been added to the GLS at the same time, but that will come with the redesign for sure due to federal regs.
  • kinch417kinch417 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I test drove the Elantra last week and was surprised at how stiff it felt. The DH tried it, too and said he noticed it, too. Currently, he's driving a Nissan and I'm driving a Toyota. Has anyone else had this experience? If so, does this seem to be the same for all Hyundai models?

Thanks for the feedback.