Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Sonata 2.0T Turbo

sebzx79sebzx79 Member Posts: 53
Those with 2.0t what are you seeing as MPG???

Comments

• bluepbluep Member Posts: 29
    MY CAR HAS 1240 MILES ON IT NOW THE BEST MPG WAS 31 THE REST OF THE CHECKS WERE RIGHT AROUND 27 TO 28 MPG THATS OK WITH ME WITH THE POWER IT HAS IT IS LIKE DRIVING A V8. I LOVE IT.
  • snowchoppersnowchopper Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2011 Sonata turbo. So I am sitting going through the owners manual and up pops a warning about idling this car for more than 3 minutes. I checked with the dealership and a tech there said that idling for any length of time can cause the cooling oil to overheat. How is one supposed to stay warm in winter or cool in summer if the car cant idle. Also , has anyone noticed and amount of carbon soot build up on those pretty chrome exhaust pipes? Dealer said turbos run richer. Can anybody reassure me that I made a sound buy now? Also there is a limit to the amount of amps you can draw from the accory outlets to run things like a computer or whatever and the limit is only 10 watts. I kind of wish I had read an owners manual first.
    Bill
  • nightanolenightanole Member Posts: 3
    In every other turbo car, you have to let the turbo cool down before shutting the engine off, after you romp on it. Maybe the 3min is for the breakin period.

The soot is normal, as is alittle oil usage. They have to run alittle rich, if they run lean they get way too hot.

Ya modern acc plugs are a pain. If they dont say lighter then they wont handle 10-15amps (read 150watts). Still a 1amp acc plug seems low.
    AFTER READING THE POSTED MESSAGES I CALLED HYUNDAI MAIN OFFICE TODAY THEY ARE NOT AWERE OF ANY ISSUES ABOUT THIS AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY CALLS ABOUT THIS. O WELL THE CAR HAS A GREAT WARRENTY AND IF ANYTHING HAPPENS I SURE THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF IT. PS MY CAR HAS 1400 MILES ON IT NOW AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY ISSUES WITH IT.
  • snowchoppersnowchopper Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to alll who are helping to put my mind at rest about idling my new turbo Sonata. Again, Thanks
  • peterfsorensonpeterfsorenson Member Posts: 1
    I just leased the Turbo when my BMW 5 series xi was coming to a close. The ONLY thing I miss is the heated steering wheel. In ALL other areas this car matches the BMW - I can't believe it. Interior roominess, head room, amenities, legroom, interior AND exterior design, nav system, auto/manual option, TURBO RESPONSE. For me it came down to the VW CC and the Sonata Turbo. The MAJOR point for me was "...but it's a Hyundai...".
    Well - no effing more - from now on I'll have to say BECAUSE it's a Hyundai.
    Personal plug for the folks at KEY Hyundai in Milford CT. NOT PRESSURE. No need. The freaking car sells itself....
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Put your plug for the dealership here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/Connecticut/Milford/KeyHyundaiofMilford/

I'm sure other shoppers would like to hear about your experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

HA GREAT CHOICE I HAVE HAD MINE SINCE OCT I HAVE 1500 MILES ON IT AND LOVE THE POWER IT HAS FOR A 4 BANGER YOU WILL ALSO GOOD LUCK AND GO HYUNDAI.
  • rdisrdis Member Posts: 1
    On a 1200+ mile trip from Tulsa to Florida with cruise, good conditions and very little wind, I got 35.3 according to the trip computer and figuring it the long way with math, i got 34. 653. Not bad considering I was driving it home brand new from the dealer in Tulsa were I bought it.

:)
  • datagendatagen Member Posts: 107
    I called them as well with the same results. I purchased a demo turbo limited for a good price and have put another 1500 miles on it with no problems so far. I did some research and CR gave them a higher score than anything Ford had. I went from a Lincoln MKS to the Sonata. MKS gave me so many problems, I turned it in early. I notice mine has a huge battery in it. Maybe to address the accessory issue even if Hyundai admits it or not. I gets a battery warning on the nav screen like every 3-4 mins in accessory mode due to battery drainage, but at least I get a warning. Sometime I would find out I left the key on to long after I was listening to the radio while washing the car and cooking on the grill. I was impressed with the ride, agility, and power of the vehicle. this little 4-cyl puts out more horses and a smother ride than my MKS ever did (3.7 engine, not the eco boost). I had it tinted and many who have seen it can not believe it is a Hyundai. My favorite with the car is watching the cars in the mirror get small real fast, lol.
    hi,in reply to your buying a sonata turbo you made a great choice,i have 3400 miles on mine now,and im still very happy with it ,it has all the power you need to pass someone,i am getting anywhere from 26.5 to 29.6 around town. hope you enjoy it.good luck to you.
  • ttbttb Member Posts: 40
    Hi,
    How smooth is the 2.0t turbo engine vs a V6?
    And how quiet is the cabin vs say a Buick LaCrosse or Regal?
    Thanks.
    TTB
    to your repy about the 2.0 turbo ,i drove both cars before i bought my se turbo,there is no comperison the sonata has it all the power and smoothness of the engine,and i get great gas milege around town anywhere from 26.5 to 29.6. i would tell anyone to go out and buy one.and see for yourself.
  • coolblue123coolblue123 Member Posts: 20
    I traded in my 03 Maxima SE for a 2.0 SE. It's definitely a ticket magnet. Was really impressed when I test drove it.
    To answer the question on the interior sound, it's very little. However, I felt that Hyundai skimped out on the cushioning of all the seats. It's not as comfy as my Maxima. Otherwise, it's a family sedan with a impressive engine. Definitely I felt that I made the right choice!
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    So, while I have been following the "left pull" issue mainly reported on the turbo models, but also on non-turbo models to a somewhat lesser extent I have yet to see anything official from Hyundai as a definitive cause and also any "from this build date forward" we have fixed the root cause statement. Yes, I am aware there have been various TSB's issued to minimize it e.g. new alignment specs. and use of a "Road Force" (I believe that is the name) machine to determine some type of tire imbalances? maybe. From what I have read there have been mixed but mostly negative results from all this and several cars have been bought back as a result of the lack of satisfactory repair. I remain interested in a SE turbo but wonder about the status of the issue since it has "petered out" from what I can tell. Have owners with the problem simply jumped through all the hoops and are now resigned to some type of fix down the road and no longer post in outrage about Hyundai's shoddy product and/or their disregard about service after the sale? I should probably wait for the 2012's. What are owners thoughts about communications with Hyundai, successful repair, or maybe you have no issue at all?
  • joe_bjoe_b Member Posts: 1
    The Hunter Road Force Balancer machine is the key to success in fixing the left pull. I bought a Limited Turbo in February and suffered through the left pull until I felt they was an actual fix worth trying. didnt want to waste time having the dealer check the alignment etc since I knew from these forums that wouldn't work.. After reading about he Road Force Balancer in a post I told my dealer about 7 weeks ago I wanted to try it. He said that Hyundai just issued a TSB recommending that machine to diagnose the problem. Worked like a charm and now the car runs straight as an arrow!
  • dirtydriverdirtydriver Member Posts: 3
    I'm at about 1,600 km and my average is showing 40 mpg or 6 to 6.5 liters per 100 km. thats with the eco button on at all times.
  • datagendatagen Member Posts: 107
    I just received a notice from Hyundia about this issue. I have not taken it in to check it out yet. I have notice a very slight pull but like you checking the alignment would not work. I will take the letter and schedule an appointment. Will provide an update when it is done.
  • hotrod54hotrod54 Member Posts: 82
    I bought my 2.0T in the middle of May. I now have 51,200 miles on it and get phenomenal fuel mileage. I do mostly highway long trip driving and routinely get 35-38 mpg at 72-79 mph, with the cruise on, sometimes in eco mode, sometimes not. As has been previously stated, turbos run rich because of high temps, therefore, you will get soot buildup on your exhaust tips.
  • epastranaepastrana Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a new Sonata Limited 2.0T. I am worried about a rattle noise I am getting in the roof area. Talked with dealer, and said they have to remove inside roof panel to fix.
    Anyone with this experience please reply. Dont know if it would be a good idea removing everything to fix it.
    Its a hunk of foam inbetween the roof and headliner. Odds are the headboard sagged a hair so there is a little wiggle room. Its just sound deadening and serves no mechanical purpose. You could ask them to remove the headliner and reinstall it. That might tighten up the gap.
    Thanks for the help... How big is it?
    Big. The size of the roof if its a single piece. its just a foam pad inbetween the headliner and car roof.
    Ok. Thanks for the info. I will talk with dealer about it.