Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
"It's not the most practical SUV on Earth, but the 2012 Range Rover Evoque has a lot of style, refined driving manners and the traditional Land Rover off-road talents to make it a very appealing compact luxury SUV."

What Edmunds Says

Anyone tire kicking one?

Tagged:

Comments

• miquelny1miquelny1 Member Posts: 3
    Guys,

Range Rover has been traditionally over priced car, and this one looks like it maybe priced right... Please post sample lease quotes, I appreciate very much, I am looking to lease one very soon!

Thanks
  • mssurreymssurrey Member Posts: 59
    edited June 2012
    I like this CUV BUT it's about $5-7,000 overpriced compared to other small luxury CUVs (Q5, GLK etc) when optioned up to inc NAV, Power Tailgate, LED/Xenon headlamps, audio system, homelink, etc.
    Check out pricing on edmunds.com or go ahead and build you configuration on manufacturer websites to compare.
    And given LR's poor reliability record, I see this depreciating like a stone in water. Unless there's a substantial discount ($5k+), I wouldn't even look at this.
  • amdscot2012amdscot2012 Member Posts: 4
    I just got a good deal on one. Not over-priced when compared with a similarly equipped Q5 or X3. It is by far the nicest one to drive, very sport and car-like, proper off-road capability and luxurious inside. The surround sound system is the best I've heard.
    Other Range Rovers do depreciate a lot, but they are big luxury V8s. The Evoque with it's punchy 2 liter turbo engine gets great gas mileage and is in high demand. I think it will hold it's value compared to competitors. Build quality is an unknown, but it is a completely new car, so lets hope they got it right. It certainly feels pretty solid so far.
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    ..."I just got a good deal on one. Not over-priced when compared with a similarly equipped Q5 or X3. It is by far the nicest one to drive, very sport and car-like, proper off-road capability and luxurious inside. The surround sound system is the best I've heard.
    Other Range Rovers do depreciate a lot, but they are big luxury V8s. The Evoque with it's punchy 2 liter turbo engine gets great gas mileage and is in high demand. I think it will hold it's value compared to competitors. Build quality is an unknown, but it is a completely new car, so lets hope they got it right. It certainly feels pretty solid so far."

I really wasn't impressed with it drive-wise. The Q5 is WAY zippier. The X3 can be had with a manual tranny (YEAH!). The Evoque was really sluggish to me compared to it's competitors..

Sound System? the system in my LR4 Premium Lux. is WAY nicer...

Proper off road capability? How much offloading do you do? (and I don't mean parking on the grass at your kids soccer matches). I have my LR4 kitted out to do serious offloading, and even then I break stuff all the time. When it gets really nasty, I go to my NAS D90 for the really rough stuff... The Evoque is a tall station wagon with some selectable traction control features that make it look like you have the ability to do some offroading.

I would NEVER take it off road through mud, over rocks, or anything other than asphalt. It's a good effort on LR's part, but it needs more guts, a stiffer ride and much better distinction between the three different models. The Sales people had a difficult time trying to explain to me the difference between the Pure, Prestige and Dynamic... and if they couldn't explain it beyond price difference, then it's definitely a mixed message to owners (or potential owners).

I want to like the Evoque, but it needs more definition as to what it's supposed to be. Offer another engine please! A turbo charged version of the inline six from the LR2 would be great, or a nice little diesel, or a 3.something litre v-6 with a bit more oomph... Make some more obvious styling differences between the three different models - maybe some exclusive colours that stand out.

I was very close to trading in my Defender on an Evoque and making my LR4 more sturdy, but not this year and not until they tweak it a lot more.
  • amdscot2012amdscot2012 Member Posts: 4
    There is no way the Q5 is 'WAY zippier' than an Evoque, quite the opposite. It's heavier and has less power. The Evoque is noticeably quicker than the Q5. Maybe you didn't have the Evoque in S mode? It is certainly not sluggish.
    Also, you may not have had the upgraded 825w surround system in the Evoque you tested. I am coming from a BMW with an upgraded Harmon Kardon sound system and it is an improvement over that one, which I loved.
    As to the off road part, I agree, I will almost certainly never take it off road, but it's still a true off-roader compared to car-based SUVs from others. If we have a bad snowfall, I'll feel relatively safe. There are plenty of youtube clips of the Evoque doing real off-roading. Even James May was impressed with it's abilities to go off road.
    It is a shame that the diesel engines aren't available in the States though. The ecoboost engine is good, but SUV's, even compact ones, suit the torquey nature of diesel engines better with even better mileage.
  • cccc4cccc4 Member Posts: 1
    Eight weeks ago my Evoque was gently side-swiped by a distracted driver. The car has been in a Land Rover authorized body shop ever since; I am waiting for a hub assembly. Additionally, there are other Evoques in the shop waiting for parts. Replacement parts for this car are on "national back-order" due to production orders at Land Rover, UK. My 30-day insurance retail coverage is exhausted and the Land Rover factory representative has refused me a loaner car. As of August 3, there is still no ETA on this part. Moral of this story: Buyer beware!
  • wckempfwckempf Member Posts: 4
    I kicked the Evoque's tires yesterday and am more confused about my upcoming lease. Currently driving a 2009 335i sedan and since my wife moved from a 2004 allroad to a 2011 GTI, I find us needing something slightly bigger that can go to Tahoe a few times a winter. Drove the 2013 allroad and Evoque yesterday. Thought the allroad was great actually but love the design of the Evoque and slightly higher drive position. Found the Evoque's engine response to be punchy and high reving not even in sport mode. Allroad was much smoother. Looking forward to drive the X1 xDrive28i later this week. There's a good lease deal on the 2012 Evoque's right now starting at $499. Thought they were in limited supply but found at least 6 hiding in the back of the Monterey dealer. The salesman said they were easy to get in almost any configuration I wanted. Now I wonder if they are selling has well as I've been led to believe. Any Evoque owners out there want to give their 2 cents.
  • erinrerinr Member Posts: 1
    I bought this car January 2. A week later it was in the shop for a week. One of the modules had to be replaced. It was returned on empty (Patrick jaquar Naperville). Tow truck company left in my driveway unlocked with key in seat at 1am. Now it is a month later and neither smart key will work. Both stopped working on the same day so I know it is not the battery. I have owned 20 cars from a ford focus to infinity. This is the worst. My brother in law still has the focus which is 10 years old. This is the car that always helps me when I have ca problems. Should have bought an Infiniti again.
  • sprsnic19sprsnic19 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Evoque since August 2012 and have not had anything major happen and I love it. There was a small rattle in the front passenger door but the dealer fixed it. I have about 14000 miles on it and no problems. The Evoque is fun to drive, luxurious, but most of all stylish and rare. I don't like to be like everyone else with an Audi or BMW. Don't get me wrong I like those cars and SUVs but I wanted something different; something that makes a statement. I got the Evoque even though my friends were telling me it would be in the shop all the time but I'm optimistic it won't be since they have really focused on fit and finish. I will revisit this comment when it gets near the end of the warranty:) I have a black on red/black dynamic package with the 20in rims Evoque. Let me know if you have any other questions or want more information in making your decision.
  • joshclevejoshcleve Member Posts: 3
    Hey Guys,

I am planning to get a SUV/CUV by the end of September, 2013 in Cleveland. I really loved the looks and the interior of the Evoque. However, when I drove it I found it to be very light. I know the weight was reduced to ensure that a 2.0 could turn out a good mileage and not feel sluggish. The end result is that the drive is very zippy and the acceleration is fun! But the downside is that it feels pretty light and somewhat unsteady compared to an X3 which weighs about 400lb more. Let me know what you guys think about that!
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    The x3 has stiffer springs. The Evoque is meant to be a softer ride. On long distance drives you'll appreciate a softer ride. On the other hand if you're looking for something more active (ie stiffer) then the x3/q5/glk are all very similar. I find that the big three German manufacturers are all so obsessed with what they're each doing that they wind up making pretty much the same cars.

The Evoque has style and a unique look that the other three can't match.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Test another one, just in case the tire pressures were off on the first one you drove.
    @Steve Planning to do just that in a couple of weeks. Will let you know how that goes.
    @dandrews1 Agree with you on that! I loved the look of the Evoque even though some call it a women's car! I went there with immense hope that I would enjoy the drive as much.

I just felt like the car was light on weight. I would have loved it if the drive felt as muscular as its front. Also wasn't satisfied with the sound of the engine.

I will let you know if my opinions change when I test drive it again in a couple of weeks. I am so hoping that I really love it!
  • pcaldwellpcaldwell Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know the lease rates for an evoque for 24 and 36 mo/12k?
    thanks
  • jmcginlayjmcginlay Member Posts: 12
    For 36 months/12K year and no cap cost reduction the $50K model will cost you mid 6's/month. A little pricey if you ask me. Very little wiggle room even with the 2013 model year ending. can easy get them to price $1K under sticker but below that it's difficult. That could change today with new rates for september. Love the vehicle but will probably pass just because of price.
    I've been disappointed with the lease rates on the Evoque even as they close out the year before the 2014 show up. I've gotten various answers as to when the 2014 will show up ranging from October through December. Does anyone know for sure?

Would appreciate anyone sharing their buying/lease experience on the Evoque as we close out 2013. Please be sure to include the vehicle sticker price, what package and if its a lease, annual miles and length of lease.

Thanks in advance to all.
  • pmannymoepmannymoe Member Posts: 24
    I am in CLE too and starting to look. Good looks but have heard about a lot of reliability issues from people. Have you already made a purchase or trying to do something by the end of this month? If u did it, pls post the deal got.

Thanks.
    Does anyone know the changes in numbers August to September on the Evoque. Have they gotten more affordable?
  • pmannymoepmannymoe Member Posts: 24
    Carman,

What are the numbers on 15k 36 or 39 month for Dynamic Premium?

Much thanks!