Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• drhb1drhb1 Member Posts: 14
    DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE NEW FIRESTONE WILDERNESS TIRE RECALL ANNOUNCED TODAY BY FORD WILL APPLY TO THE TRIBUTE?????
  • gnomicgnomic Member Posts: 11
    From the Ford site:

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/refund_form2.html

To be eligible for a refund you must have:

Paid to replace your Firestone Wilderness AT tires on the following vehicles, between the dates of August 1, 2000, and May 22, 2001

1991 through 2002 Ford Explorer

1997 through 2002 Mercury Mountaineer

1991 through 2001 Ranger

1999 through 2001 Expedition

1991 through 1994 F-Series

1991 through 1994 Bronco

I JUST SPOKE WITH FORD AT 1 866 300 1226 AND THEY NOTED THE ESCAPE IS INDEED PART OF THE RECALL; THE LISTING IS THE CARS THAT ALL HAD THESE TIRES. THEY NOTED THAT IF THE ESCAPE, AND LATER, VIA MAZDA, HAVE THE WILDERNESS TIRES, THEY WILL BE REPLACED/REIMBURSED BY FORD (OR MAZDA).

GOOD NEWS INDEED...
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Before you purchase your Escape.... #1. See if the Ford/Mazda dealer will place Goodyear Wrangler tires on for you... If not tell them to take the amount it will cost to have them put on @ Goodyear... then go and have them put the better tires on. When I purchased (which is on order) I told them I want Goodyear on the Escape or knock $1000 off and I'll go get my own put on... All in all, dealer knocked $1000 off final price.

#2.. For recalls and TSB's goto : Http://www.alldata.com That web site gives you TSB's and Recall's for EVERY vehicle.

• ke4yydke4yyd Member Posts: 30
    The url you gave only goes through year 2000.
  • curreycurrey Member Posts: 144
    It makes sense that if the Escape or Tribute came with Wilderness AT tires then they would be under the recall. However, I think most of the Escapes and Tributes came with the Wilderness HT tire (not part of the recall yet). Participant, a frequent poster to these forums, does have a Tribute witn the ATs, so it does appear possible that others out there might be affected by the recall, but, not everyone with a wilderness tire will be.
  • participantparticipant Member Posts: 29
    I was wrong, they're HTs. Just think what a time Mazda and Ford is going to have with this recall with people like me around.
  • curreycurrey Member Posts: 144
    Then your post to me in the other forum.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I saw that Alldata only goes through 2000 (For Now)... I don't know when they might be adding the 2001 recall/tsb's, maybe near June.... but I'm not sure. I just said that it is a good web site for checking for any Recalls/TSB's on any/all vehicles. I did notice though some recall took awhile to be shown on there sometimes.

Odie
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    NHTSA has a new search engine for Recall Campaigns, Technical Service Bulletins, Defect Investigations, and Consumer Complaints. You can find the link from Edmunds' Recalls, Technical Service Bulletins, and Other Good Stuff page.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• cathy805cathy805 Member Posts: 5
    I called my sales guy at Mazda and asked him to check to see if the recalls effect "us."

He assured me they do not! Take that for what it worth, but I'm tending to believe him.
    Thanks Curry, your point is well taken. On my Trib ES, I have the HT tires, and just assumed they were ATs. I doubt whether the HTs will be added, as the recall is already gigantic.
  • sodapopzsodapopz Member Posts: 2
    i'm looking to buy 2 DX-V6 tributes....but,since it's a new vehicle that has just been released,it still isn't proven,i've been reading about all the little glitches it has and i'd like to wait for the 2002's to come out because most of the problems should be ironed out by that model year.
    does anybody have any info on when that might be?i know most new vehicles are released during the end of summer and early fall,i'm wondering if that's the case for the tribute.also,what would the increase in price be,if any?thanks,any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • k9cop1k9cop1 Member Posts: 78
    I waxed my car (first time) today. I got some on the cladding & can't get it out.
    Thanks
    Dave
  • verscapeverscape Member Posts: 3
    We've had our XLT for almost 6 months and have been extremely happy with it. Today, however, it failed to start. The electronics were working, so I doubt its the battery, and, after a number of attempts, it finally revved and everything was fine. Then, after the car had been parked for a couple of hours, the same thing happened, except that it just never started. The dealer has been accommodating thus far, providing a loaner and covering the tow, but a car that doesn't start is pretty useless. We have not heard from the dealer, yet. Has this happened to anyone? What was the cause? Are there any bulletins you can point me to? Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks.
  • sowegasowega Member Posts: 6
    When looking for recalls on the Escape, search
    "fordtruck". Then you can find the Escape in the drop down list.
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    Take a dampened cloth of WD40 and rub the affected area briskly. Wipe clean and then apply Mothers Back to Black[available at Walmart,Pep Boys,etc.]If that fails [and it shouldn't] you can apply liquid black shoe polish with a Q.-tip [only on the black areas,such as the door handles and roof rack}. If it is on your cladding, the Back to Black should work {it is not black, but a white creamy solution that dries the same color as your cladding. This might take two applications, but works.
    Don't you also belong to the Escape Yahoo Club??
    There is also a detail club at the Yahoo site that goes into this type of discussion.
    Back to Black Tronsr [NORT]
  • verscapeverscape Member Posts: 3
    The dealer advises that the problem was with the theft-proof igntion key system, the replacement for which was ordered Wednesday, arrived Thursday, and the car was good to be picked up today.
    Thanks for your advice. I picked up some "Mothers" today & will give it a try. Also, can I use this as a protectant like armorall?
    Yes I do belong to the Escape Club, but I haven't visited lately.
    Thanks
    Dave
  • firstnamefirstname Member Posts: 45
    I, too, just waxed my Escape for the first time. The excess wax on the lower grey plastic does not wipe off easily. What's the best solution for that?
    Solution found! A auto detailer friend of mine gave me this tip, which works beautifully: The excess wax on the plastic of practically any car comes off easily when brushed vigorously with a stiff toothbrush (dry), especially if the wax is allowed to thoroughly dry. If the bristles are kept clean, this actually *polishes* certain types of plastic!
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    I am a member of the the Yahoo Ford Escape Club and also the Detail Club. I have been using Mother's Back to Black. Yesterday, one of the members had stated they tried the "Peanut Butter application {the oil from the peanut butter dissipates the wax after letting it set a minute or so}.. and then wiping off the "messy peanut butter..... so they purchased a small bottle of Peanut oil... applied same... wiped off... and.... the result was..."No more Wax" on the black areas. Sounds easy and no more messy peanut butter.
    To answer K-9..."Yes"... you can use Mother's Back to Black on your cl adding areas. It does a nice job. It is a "white creamy solution" and wipes on and off easily. How it works its Magic, I do not know.
    The "best" way to avoid waxonblackareas or cladding is to get yourself a roll of painters masking tape {inexpensive and available at any Home Depot, hardware store, paint store, etc., etc.} and mask of the portion ofblack or cladding nearest to the "painted areas" that you are going to wax. It only takes about five minutes and eliminates the wax from the aforementioned.
    Hope this helps NORT {TronSr}
    I tried the "Mothers " & it worked pretty good. Only thing is that after I washed the car again, the wax returned. I'm gonna try the"peanut oil" & see how that works.
    Dave
  • hutsixhutsix Member Posts: 1
    After doing a lot of research and test drives,
    we ordered an Escape XLT in March; it came in
    last week. I decided not to take the car
    because of the poor offset crash test results which I feel are unacceptable for a new design. It was a tough decision because
    I really like everything about the car.
    I am sure you made the dealer happy as they most likely sold it within 48 hours at a higher profit than they could have from an ordered vehicle. The Escape is in high demand and is getting top dollar.
  • stecamstecam Member Posts: 15
    If the offset crash test results were an important factor to you, you probably made the right choice. Just be careful when looking at other SUV's in the class - most of them aren't much (if any) better.
  • thejman1thejman1 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a Ford Escape in February, under the X-Plan. Before I actually placed the order, I was told it would take a month to get the car. When I actually placed the order, I was told it could take up to two months because the order was placed at the end of the month.

It's now almost four months later and no Escape, yet. The salesman can't tell me when it should come in, so, about a month ago, I began questioning a manager. The manager keeps telling me that the car will be in "the end of this week, or the beginning of next week." He's been telling me this every week for over a month now.

First I was told that it had been shipped from the factory, but that they didn't know where it was. Then I was told that it was at "the port", but that they didn't know when it would be delivered to the dealership. The latest story is that it is at another dealership in my state getting a door that was dented in shipping replaced.

Anyone else here have similar problems? Any thoughts?
  • roger55roger55 Member Posts: 4
    Have had our Escape XLT for 2 weeks. Came with Continental tires (dealer says they're made by Firestone). Within 2 days car starts pulling to the left. Called dealer made an appointment.
    Service department says (after checking various things) that there's something wrong with the tires. They called Ford who told them to "force the tread to wear differently". Service people went through several attempts at rotating the tires to different places. Each rotation resulted in
    a different pulling problem (to the left, to the right, both ways!). Ford will not let Service Department.
    put new tires on!! They've had our Escape for 2 days trying to fix this problem. Has anyone else had this problem with Continental tires? This is not a good start with our Escape.
  • tinoman1tinoman1 Member Posts: 42
    continental tires are not made by firestone. they are part of the group that makes general tires.
    I remember *radial* tire rotation had to be performed only front-rear so that the spin direction remained constant throughout the life of the tire. This is different from biased-ply tire rotation. I don't know if the latest tire technologies have made this unnecessary (the Escape owner's manual suggests cross rotation like for biased-ply tires, which I'm very surprised to see! Could it be a mistake?). However, if your Continental tires were required NOT TO CROSS-ROTATE, then the reverse direction spinning may have had an adverse affect.
  • archdluxarchdlux Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering purchasing an Escape and had a couple questions. Does anyone know if they come with a micron filtration air conditioning system (sometimes I'm in a dusty work environment)? For those with newer Escapes (no fuel line recalls, etc.)how's your gas mileage? thanks.
  • archdluxarchdlux Member Posts: 3
    mainly interested in the mileage for the xlt v6 4wd models. thanks.
    Just curious what the consensus is on correct tire pressure for the Firestone HT tires on the Tribute. I found that the door sticker recommeneded 29LBS was too low, and the handling was poor. They were set at delivery at 40lbs, and the sidewall indicates a maximum of 44lbs.

I currently have them at 36LBS.

Any others have suggestions re the correct pressure??
  • dongordongor Member Posts: 2
    Hey kids, just to let you know I saw a posting on an employment site about a month ago for Ford. They're looking for a SixSigma Blackbelt. That means they're aggressively pursuing their defect problems, since a SixSigma program is big bucks.

I'm sure this is on the heels of a New York newspaper who quoted the President of Ford as being "......-off" at the poor quality all their divisions had been producing.

The only thing holding me back on these two vehicles (the first 2001 SUV I drove was the Escape) is the bad press regarding defects and quality. The RAV4 is the only price competitive vehicle in the running but I'm leery of the sewing machine under the hood!

Hopefully the gurus at Ford will pull it together before November when my lease is due.
  • hfdadhfdad Member Posts: 29
    I don't know about the Escape but the Tribute has a pollen filter that can be installed in their vehicle. The car does not come with it but their is a spot to install it under the hood. Cost is about $25.
    I set my tires to 31psi cold, which seems to be best for pavement driving. For off-road, I would reduce it down to 29psi or less. I think 36psi is too high.

My XLT V6 4x4 has averaged 20mpg now with over 2k on the odo (2046mi/102.45gal). I drive a good mix of street and freeway and hardly any bumper-to-bumper congestion.
  • 1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    We have a 3400 lb truck on big truck tires designed to carry a much higher load at rated pressure listed on the tire. When we inflate correctly for our 3400 lbs load the tires wear evenly from edge to edge,and when we over inflate they have less contact area on the road and wear out the center, when we underinflate they wear too much on the edges and heat up too much. So use the vehicle manufacturer's pressure specification unless you really want to get outside the optimum they figured out.
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    What do you guys think of the Mazda Tribute gas mileage power and reliablity. Lot of talk about the Ford Excape on here but barely any Tribute stuff.
  • pampricetxpampricetx Member Posts: 1
    My situation seems like yours. I ordered an Escape via the X plan at beginning of May. Salesman told me it would be in around 4-6 weeks. I've called several times and can't get a return phone call. Yesterday, someone (not my salesman) called me and said it would be mid to late September. I asked why and they didn't have a reason. After reading your message, I'm wondering if the X-plan purchases get put on the back burner due to low profit for dealers. I'm in Houston. Not sure what to do now.
    Thanks for the responses. I found that the Tribute handles MUCH better with higher tire pressure. A tire dealer whom I trust once told me that the best pressure was typically near the max indicated on the sidewall. Don't know what the value of that advice is, but I guess I won't exceed the 36 lbs. I currently have.
  • dongordongor Member Posts: 2
    Driven them all. I mean them all, from the Forester to the Highlander, from the Tracker to the Xterra and these two (Trib/Escape & Rav) are the most competitive when considering many things.

To avoid confusion I've narrowed the criteria down to four areas: value, fit and finish (I despise rattles and poor fits, after all I've had plenty of experience with my Buick), safety, and power.

Not all the vehicles I mentioned are in the same class, however they do offer critical items that I want... four-wheel, cargo-space, amenities and looks... at least I thought they did.

The RAV has great value, holding about 45% of its value after five years (with average annual mileage), tight assemblies, ample amenities, reasonable cargo-space, and it looks good (my opinion, don't bite my head off). Unfortunately, it has a four-banger in-line engine that revs to 6000rpm and I hafta' tell'ya, I thought she was gonna' blow! Once she kicked down, the ride was fine but that rip from the engine would rack my nerves every time and its a brand new aluminum block design...eyhhhhhh...I'm strayin' tward' leery!

I didn't have a problem with the Ford/Mazda entries, except for the lack heated seats or mirrors options (I've got that on my vehicle now and I live in Uxbridge, Ontario where we had snow up to our ying-yang this passed winter) and the, yes here it is again, CHEAP DOOR HANDLES . Lots of power, plenty of ammenities, more cargo-space, good looks and great price.

Too bad there was four safety recalls within the first six months and poor offset crash tests...not to mention the Fordstone fiasco.

So I look at all the others again, and I hear all the problems they have with crash ratings and quality and design (what's with the bare metal seat handles on the Xterra...I thought the old YJ was bad), and I end-up back here (not that there's anything wrong with that...) trying to find some sense, some meaning, some resolution to my quest for the perfect SUV (at a mid-range price...okay, so I'm cheap, but for $34,000 CDN MSRP {that's about $22,000 USD loaded for you 'Mericans) I should at least expect value, tight fit and finish , safety, and a good track record.

Gall'darn'it...I'm one confused SUVShopper that can't afford the Highlander or RangeRover(what's up with that design...as Hughie Lewis would say, "It's hip to be square"). So I end this rebuttle with a question...if the Escape/Trib is/are the vehicle(s) for me, how do I blow $35G's knowing the track record. Maybe one of you Corporate-Mazda/Ford-Message-Board-Eavesdropper-Guys can give me a clue.

yeah, yeah, I should get a life...but can anyone answer the damn question...I'm ready to buy a KIA and call it a day.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Donger:
    Occasionally I've put my foot into my '01 RAV, and I don't think I've ever gone much above about 4k rpm, and that is with the automatic trans. It pulls pretty well, and does it without thrashing. The engine/trans has loosened up nicely with break-in. I'm up over 7k total miles so far, and the best way I can describe this 4-banger is 'lively'. I wouldn't get one if I wanted to tow, and I don't know how it would be with a lot of hilly terrain. But I do love filling up the tank - I got over 27 mpUSg the last time, with AWD and 60/40 suburbs/highway driving.

I put my trust in Toyota's track record when I considered buying the vehicle with the new, all-aluminum, variable valve timing engine. And by foregoing the 'L' package (just got the 'QO), I got it for a very 'right price' with all the important stuff included.

I won't bite your head off about the new RAV's styling, don't worry; I think it looks good, too. And fit and finish are impeccable.

I'm hoping for a lot of good years out of my RAV. I considered the Escute twins, but I didn't like all the recalls; they made ME leery, like they rushed the thing to market. What else did they overlook?

Good luck, whatever you decide.
    ejp
  • emzemz Member Posts: 3
    I checked out the NHTSA web site... but they don't even have the Escape listed as one of Ford's models... I think what that means is that they basically have not updated their data base .... I am currently in Saudi Arabia, and am considering buying an Escape... however, I have no idea what are the issues with it... we rented one in the states before coming here and liked it very much... but I was not aware of any safety design issues... so, I would truly appreciate it if anyone here can forward me articles, or test results .... I read about 80 of the posted messages here but could not find such articles/test results....

thanks

my mail

afreinds@hotmail.com
    Be sure you put FORD TRUCK for the make. Using the left box first enter year 2001, then Ford Truck, then Escape.

David
    Thanks David... that worked...

"Be sure you put FORD TRUCK for the make. Using the left box first enter year 2001, then Ford Truck, then Escape"

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

after reading some of the consumer complaints on the NHTSA site, I decided to pass on the Escape...

factors leading to that...

1) the Air bags not inflating on impact
    2) fuel odors
    3) shutting off on down grades

of course the first one is the most serious...

regards
    em
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    Ordered XLT fully loaded on Feb 23, picked it up on April 17. Car now has 3000 miles and will be doing a first oil/filter change. Only problem to report is the gas gauge is not as uniform as I would like , however. It works fine. I may not even have it worked on and accept that this is the way all Ford Escape gauges work. . Besides that no other problems . My wife who drives it 95% of the time , loves it. Mach radio sounds great etc. Only option we didn't get was the sidebars. Thought they were a waste of money. The car has nice high ground clearance for its size. No rattles etc. Peppy
  • ver2us1ver2us1 Member Posts: 36
    You should call the manager/owner of your dealership and try to get some real answers because there is no way it should take to mid-September to receive your 2001 Escape. They start building the 2002 on July 30th and it shouldn't take 6 weeks to get to you even if yours is the last one built. I have ordered a 2002 Escape, have a build date the week of July 30th, and was told I can expect to receive it before the end of August.
    I know the trunk lock is supposed to be on the right side of the cladding, but mine is missing & I have seen other Escapes on the road without same. Any one slse?
  • msdfyedmsdfyed Member Posts: 15
    Ive had my Escape not even 2 months now,and i just noticed my ceiling in the trunk area, right above the windows is coming down! I would like to think that my ceiling was cut correctly when the moon roof was installed but I'm beginning to think it wasn't? Anyone had or heard of this problem?