Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• rhanson3rhanson3 Member Posts: 69
    Check the lund trident out. I was told it is sleeker than the interceptor but attaches easier than the Bugflector II. I have not ordered one yet though.
  • btenbten Member Posts: 28
    I ordered mine about the same time. Just got the VIN number from the Dealer. I think it was made up north. (VIN begins with the number "1"). It supposedly arrived in Houston on the 8th,(I purchased it from a Houston dealership) and my salesman said it should be ready late this week or early next week.

I got a report from the dealer showing dates that the "preliminary order was Accepted, Added.....

It showed a Preliminary order accepted date of 3-09-01.
  • chorchchorch Member Posts: 10
    Have a Lund Interceptor on my 01 Yukon, great, easy clean, easy on, does the job. Installed a Bugflector on my son in laws ford 150. this weekend. A 15 minute job stretched into 2 + hrs. The holes in the hood were round instead of square so when you turned the plastic screws, either the insert turned or the screw kept turning. Finally drilled out the holes and used molly wall anchors to attach the thing. Close to the hood must use the glue on bumpbers. Don't know how long they will stay but it looks like the thing will bend and touch the hood at high speed. Just a thought.
  • heavydriver10heavydriver10 Member Posts: 1
    I've got the Lund Trident in clear (being painted tomorrow) for my '01 YXL. It fits well, looks great, installed in about 15 minutes and is VERY sturdy. There's plenty room to get your hand behind it to clean and it doesn't use or need any rubber bumpers. As for the Bugflector II, I was parked next to a '01 Bourbon with one and it is VERY flimsy...glad I went with the Trident. Got it online at Truck Performance Center http://www.truckperformance.com/
  • skipjack2skipjack2 Member Posts: 29
    This page lists (at the moment) 356 messages, last being posted April 10, at 10:34. Yet when I go to the beginning, I am at message 523 and if I enter "go to 356" I end up back at 923??

Is the count off? Am I not doing something that would let me go to the latest message on the chance that someone responded to my in query?
    Skipjack
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a few reports of missing messages this morning so perhaps the server reset or something. All the posts seem to be here this morning :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • larsonemlarsonem Member Posts: 7
    I'd skip the rustproofing and I too live in Michigan. Five new vehicles ago I had one done by Tuff Kote, now Ziebart. It was an 1985 full size K-1500 Jimmy. The darn thing rusted out all over the place, inside the doors where they punched holes in the door frames and under the carpet by the rear seat where sheet metal screws punched through the floor holding something together. Ziebart just laughed because I had missed an inspection period by a month. So I sued the jerks in small claims court. The judge threw it out, so I appealed. On the second trip to court, the judge awarded me the cost of the paint, plus court costs (I had already gotten the inside of the door jams repaired), plus the idiots sent two men from Detroit to Lansing (round trip about 180 miles) two times to fight me. They could have settled the claim cheaper by just paying me.

Moral of the story is, I don't believe in rustproofing. Also it helps that today the vehicle manufacturers build a better piece of equipment than they did 15 years ago.

I say save your money. I can tell a lot of other people are doing just that when you pass by Ziebart and they are installing running boards, bug shields, visors, and other accessories just to stay in business because people just don't rustproof things anymore.
  • rleonardrleonard Member Posts: 17
    I won my arbitration suit. It`s going to cost me about 2 thou but to keep the wife warm (warmer) it`s woth it. Looking at the Sequoia`s. Visiting in Iowa in my 92 suburban with only 176,000 on it. Will be checking back after Easter. Happy Easter to all.
    Looks like my salesman gave me the wrong information. The VIN he gave me was for a Silverado...I found out when I called the GM support line. It turns out that because I ordered a heavy duty battery (770 amps), I got bumped. The battery is no longer available. So what does GM do?... You got it, send the order back to the dealer to ask the customer if he still wants the vehicle with the regular battery. I was told that they immediately reordered the vehicle. I was put at the end of the line. I now have a TPW of April 30th. So I am in the same boat as ssmiles. (still wonder about the story, but I did see a TPW of April 2nd on some of the earlier paperwork.)

P.S. Don't order the HD battery, It is no longer available
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Sounds wierd that they would send it back to the dealer? Most of the time they will just not put it on and build it without and not charge you for it.

I know many people are getting 2500HD's without the aluminum rims (without even being asked if they stilll want the truck) and are being given credit for them cause they dont have enough.
  • ssmilesssmiles Member Posts: 35
    Order placed on March 1st. Received a telephone call from my dealer in Southern California today. They said mine has been built, and has already been shipped from the plant in Mexico to the "Star craft Vans" plant in Elk hart, Indiana for final conversion to Z71 trim?? I had no idea it had to be built at two different locations, anyone got an answer to that? They gave me the full vin on it and said I should have possession by end of April. Just a few days ago, the dealer said all they had was an order acknowledgment on it. Sounds like some communication problems.
    Wow mexico to indiana to california

What color is your burb? Ill keep on eye out for it.

Kinda wierd that they would send it to the van place. I have been by there a few times and all i really see is a bunch of full size vans sitting in their huge lot that have things like ceiling extended,things added to the body, custom wheels.

What all extra comes on the Z71 burb?

Ryan
    Only 4 color choices for Z71 trim (Black, White, Pewter, Green). I'm getting white. If you get the Z71 package, which is only available on LS Burbs, you get nicer roof rack, tube style assist steps, circular fog lamps, stiffer off-road suspension, leather seating, 17" wheels/tires, skid plates, Z71 badging and a distinct clean look (no molding or chrome-everything is body paint color). The chevrolet.com web site has a picture and more info on it.
  • rdtaylorrdtaylor Member Posts: 21
    Wow - I can't believe Chevy would build an 8.1L 2500 Suburban without the tow package. Pretty ridiculous. The GMC models all come with the tow package as standard equipment. The skid plates and block heater can be easily added.

Unlike the 1500 models, I suspect the 8.1L 2500 models have the full cooling equipment package anyway (the $141 trailer package probably adds only the hitch, and maybe the brake wiring harness). I would investigate further. If that is the case, you could simply add a after-market hitch. The way to know for sure is to look at the actual option codes on the vehicle (not the invoice, which is only a subset of the actual build options). The dealer should have an exhaustive list of each option code ans should be able to tell what cooling options were installed.
  • rhanson3rhanson3 Member Posts: 69
    I just put on Denali 17" wheels 265-70-17 on my 2001 yukon XL which had 265-70-16 on it.
    I have read this thread and I am very confused. Can the dealer re-calibrate or do I have to buy a jet control unit or? If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated. My understanding is the the transmission shifting also get re-calibrated.
  • alfred7alfred7 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Suburban with factory wheel flares and factory running boards(assist steps) I have checked on after market molded fitted mud flaps and was told that they are available for the rear but not the front when you have the factory assist steps. Has anyone experienced this problem or call you give me a web site for this item. Thanks Al
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Regarding the reverse warning system, you may want to drop by the Reverse warning systems topic in the Aftermarket & Accessories message board.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Mudflaps

http://www.huskyliners.com

Check out my site i have pics of these mudfaps on my 2000 silverado w/flares.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ryanbab

• jtbuffjtbuff Member Posts: 25
    rleonard,did you find out anything about cold air?
  • naitovenaitove Member Posts: 6
    Do any dealers stock Z71 Subs or do you have to special order them. Are they available with a choice of cloth or leather? Are the front seats buckets or bench? Has anyone seen the lights on the roof rack? If so, what do they do? If anyone has one already please email me at oxygenfilms@yahoo.com.
    Thanks, John
    Naitove

Dealers do stock them. They do not stay very long. I test drove one before I ordered mine. they only come with leather, with bucket seats. The seats are the same ones that come in an upgraded LS. The lights on the roof rack are not available.
  • stoli2stoli2 Member Posts: 6
    Can someone help me with a basic question. I drove through the dealers lot today in my city.
    They had about 20 new 2001 Suburbans. My question is this, I only saw one that had the 1500 emblem or badge on the side of the vehicle. I am a newbie as I just starting looking at suburbans. What does the 1500 represent . I was wondering wy the emblem was not on the other suburbans
    thanks
    1500 = 1/2 ton

2500 = 3/4 ton

3500 = 1 ton
  • uncommonmanuncommonman Member Posts: 65
    HEAVYDRIVER10 -- LUND TRIDENT

Can you tell me what the differences are between the Trident and Interceptor on the Yukon?? Is the Trident a thicker material, does it stand more upright on the hood, or is it a sturdier version of the Interceptor with a similar profile? Does it mount in the factory holes, or is drilling required?? Thanks.
  • hawkeye9hawkeye9 Member Posts: 2
    rpi:noisey fuel pump
    I had a new fuel pump put on my 2000 suburban in jan 01
    and the dealer indicated all new fuel pumps were noisey.
    He said they would replace it but it wouldn't be any
    quieter than the one already on it. So i just left it alone and after about 2-months it quieted down and I don't notice it. But I know what you are describing, because mine was noisey enough to notice it inside the truck.
    hawkeye9
    Z71 INFO FOR NAITOVE:

I ordered my Z71 on March 1st. Dealer called a few days ago, gave me the VIN and said I should have it by the end of this month. I'll let you know when it comes via the e-mail you provided.
  • naitovenaitove Member Posts: 6
    Got a GM Buypower response from a dealer today who told me Z71 option was not available yet on Suburban.
  • rickhessrickhess Member Posts: 18
    4th gear in Tow/Haul Mode

I have a 2001 Suburban 2500 LT 4x4 w/ 8.1 L. I was towing my 6600 lb (dry wt.) travel trailer for the first time this past weekend. In tow/haul mode the transmission would not shift into 4th gear, even though there was plenty of rpm's and torque available. I ended up towing in regular drive, and with very few exceptions, spent the entire time comfortably in 4th gear.

Does anyone know if tow/haul atomatically locks out 4th gear? If so, I probably will tow in regular drive since I seem to have plenty of hp and torque without the added rpm's allowed by tow/haul mode. Thanks.

Rick
    naitove,

Two answers to your questions. Go to GM BuyerPower on this site. Fill in for a Chev. Sub. model type 1/2 ton 4wd Z71. Put in 77479 for the zipcode. Click the dealer starting with MAC (the fourth one, I think.) You will see he has 4 Z71's in stock.

Also on gmbuyerpower, if you will build your own, select the 1/2 ton 4wd LS. In the options, you will see a selection for Z71 off road package, $10,818. I would print copies of this and show them to your dealer. (I double checked all of this before I wrote this note.
  • oulunetoulunet Member Posts: 1
    How much should I pay for a 1990 4x4 Suburban in relatively good condition with 204,000 miles on it? $2000? Or should I just forget about a vehicle with this many miles?

Mike
  • stoli2stoli2 Member Posts: 6
    Can someone tell me why the 1500 badge if you would is on the side of some suburbans and not others. I like the looks of the 1500 emblem. Is it an option or special edition. Could someone help me with the question
    thanks
  • murmurmusicmurmurmusic Member Posts: 13
    the 1500/2500 badges are definitely the norm, the only vehicles I've seen w/o them have had ALL the badging removed by the owner as part of their own customization. I have read that these badges are merely placed on with a simple adhesive, so maybe they are put on the dealer? (although I would be surprised to learn this.)
  • buster27buster27 Member Posts: 28
    Not true about the badges. I took delivery of a 3/4 ton Suburban LT last month. No where on the truck is a 2500 badge. I didn't take it off.
    On my previous Suburbans, there was a badge, but not this one. Don't know if it's a new thing or not.
  • eversonseversons Member Posts: 38
    I frequently put several large extension ladders on top of my Yukon XL. The roof racks seem to have been designed so that ladders will slip off the top of the truck and slide down the side of the vehicle (after I untie them).

Are there any after market accessories that will keep the ladders where I want them? Does the special Z71 off road package roof rack do a better job keeping things from falling off?

TIA

Scott
  • fiber700fiber700 Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone thought that maybe GM is trying to save a buck per vehicle and is now eliminating the badges in a cost savings move......
  • larrys7larrys7 Member Posts: 35
    I've been selling/installing automotive accessories for over 12 years now. My opinion LUND has the BEST PRODUCT on the market!!
    view at: http://www.lundindustries.com/lundlook/products/hoodshield/prod-frame.html

I prefer the Interceptor - Painted to match
    No drilling on new GM or Fords. Just installed on my 01 Yukon Denali XL. Painted white. A easy 1 minute job. Put plastic plugs in the square OEM holes & screws in fine. Unless you get old stock, then get out your drill & measuring tool - a 2-4 minute job on some applications

I have a few customers that prefer the Avenger (Smoke only). Yet very sleek/small. Kinda close for me.

Then if you do not like anything wrapped around, just a hood protector - Defender (smoke only). Would be an option.

Lots to chose from out there. If you have a black vehicle - purchase smoke & Kylon the back side with semigloss - quick & easy. This makes it a pure black like the vehicle. Remember to keep plenty of wax on them for the shine & easy to clean off when covered with bugs. Keep your receipt - LIFETIME WARRANTY!! **Interceptor is my choice & again highly recommend! My reason for install is protecting the hood from chips.

3M makes a Scotchcal kits (clear vinyl) hood kits ready for install for those that hate bug shields - another option.
    Don't wait to long - the bugs are out in high force here in Missouri already - If you travel on two lane roads - the last thing you want is a small rock to chip your paint.
  • mitch43mitch43 Member Posts: 10
    I just picked up my 01 Yukon SLT w/ Autoride (based on the advice from this discussion) and 1sd. I haven't even driven it, but the wife has and loves it so far. I have two question, however, that I hope somebody can help with. First, there is an antenna (I assume for the Onstar/cellular phone) mounted on the drivers side rear window (by third row of seats) that extends about 6-8 inches above the roof when up. It is rigid (not flexible)and flips down only by coming towards you (i.e., away from the vehicle, not towards the front or back). With my 7 foot garage, it will surely be clipped off before too long. Any suggestions about either replacing or relocating it? Second, to access the third row seats, it is very easy to pull the second row seat bottom up and forward and swing down the second row seat back, which allows you step on the carpeted flipped down second row seat back to reach the third row. With three kids ages 7 and under, it will not take long for the second row seat back back to get VERY dirty. Any suggestions on how to prevent it from getting dirty? Maybe velcro another carpet mat onto to it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • curtissilvercurtissilver Member Posts: 11
    rauch56 or others, I experienced the same thing, carpets on driver and driver side second row soaked after driving through heavy rains. Any clues that I might offer the Service Department?

Thanks....
    I installed 50 watt bulbs in 2001 Burb and the heat melted the factory units beyond repair.

Anyone have experience with the PIAA of similar size? Can they use the OEM switch?

Thanks again.
  • mmcnamarammcnamara Member Posts: 27
    I've decided that the base Suburban 1500 2wd (vinyl seats, etc.) may be the vehicle for my family needs, but I've yet to see any on the road or at a dealership. One of my concerns is that the front-only air conditioning may not be enough to cool the interior, and my other concern regards the build time- I see that others have had lengthy waits to take delivery. Given that Chevrolet will no doubt profit less on this configuration than on a loaded vehicle, will the build date be pushed back indefinitely as long as other orders are received? Dealers are quite vague on this matter.
    Any feedback on this and on other member's experiences with base Suburbans is appreciated. Thanks!
  • slime1slime1 Member Posts: 1
    McNamara- Picked up my black Base2500 4wd this past weekend. love it! Ordered it Feb24 after reading truckworld.com article. Put 220 miles on it Sunday- Front a/c is fine for the passengers. Got the climate pkge, but not the appearance pkge, so there's no roofrack. Paid 1k over invoice, but didnt haggle..With this economy, dealer will want your biz...good luck
  • chuckee98chuckee98 Member Posts: 39
    You probably need to buy an aftermarket rack system, like a Yakima or Thule. Both will have straight crossbars that clamp onto the lateral rails. Then buy the accessories that they offer to keep canoes from sliding off. You may not need them now, though, since the crossbars are now straight and not curved.
  • chuckee98chuckee98 Member Posts: 39
    Which bulbs did you install and where? I have 9006 Platinum bulbs in my 2001 YXL low beam headlamps with no problems. If the lamps melted, there was probably a short. I know people who have added PIAA's and other bulbs with higher wattage into their headlamps, without any problems. Did both lamps melt, or only one? You may be able to get PIAA to reimburse you if you can prove that it was an internal short in the bulbs that caused the issue.
    The meltdown was in the fog lights where I added 50w Sylvania replacement bulbs. This is the same bulb I have used to upgrade several other GM fog lights and they worked fine. Not this time....
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Is one of the items that really helps if you have kids - particularly if any of them tend to car sickness. Our 95 LS has it and it's been fantastic - really makes the 'way' back seat comfortable. I wouldn't get one of these without it.

Ken
  • fiber700fiber700 Member Posts: 18
    There is a TSB out about a seam that wasn't sealed properly at the factory in the rear wheel well and how water can get into the interior. At my web site, http://suv.s5.com I have a section devoted to problems and defects. On that web page, I have pictures of my Yukon, showing the defective seam (prior to getting it sealed).
    Currently Nifty/CatchAlls are in the mold to be built May/June time frame. If you are looking as Mitch43 is - Highland/Grobroski offers a cargo liner - Black only - It will velcrow to the back side of your second row seat & stays attached when it is laid down & covers the complete cargo area when seat is up or down. Have several customers with this product in GM/FORD/Jeeps... Works Great and will protect your carpet. Good Luck. Another option - I think a Suburban seat will bolt up if you can locate one.
    Would HIGHLY recommend rear A/C. It doesn't cost all that much more. Remember someday it will surely help for RESALE!!!. Not to mention the comfort of others in the HOT SUMMER time if riding in the back seats, especially if you order a dark color that will absorb heat even more. It just makes good since to me to have rear a/c. I have seen numerous units set for a Long time before someone finally takes it I/I rear a/c.
    Currently offered through GM - $1000.00 if you own a Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban & purchase a new one.
    Just want everyone to be aware of this!!! pick up my check tomarrow.
  • arc44arc44 Member Posts: 7
    The antenna on my 2001 Suburban "folds" front to back. Not sure if you have the same antenna, flip it down (toward you) and check the back for a hollow set screw that controls side to side movement, you may have one that is very tight. You will love the autoride. Good luck.