Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• glenglen Member Posts: 17
    edited December 2013

Most on here seem to buy higher end than LX. Well, I bought my wife a 2014 LX auto in white. Price was 20,400 + TTL. This was for 1/2 day of phone work. DW loves it. Good Price?

• yafeiyafei Member Posts: 3

I got an agreement with a dealership near Boston for $22,000 (after $500 rebate and $500 graduates rebate) for 2014 Accord 4-cyl EX with lifetime powertrain warranty. One time free oil change, no accessory. Is that a good deal?

• bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Member Posts: 1,009

@yafei

Was the sale price of the car (including the $790 destination fee) $23,000?

You should provide a price breakdown by including the following information:

1. Sale price of the car including the destination fee (but excluding any incentives)
    2. Dealer documentation fees
    3. Incentives ($500 flex cash and $500 graduate cash)

Invoice price for that model is $24,288. Anything less than $1000 below invoice at this time of the year for a 2014 model is a good deal.

2021 Audi A6 P+2018 Audi A4 P+ (lease returned)2013 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
  • yafeiyafei Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2013

@bluemkn57cars
    Thank you.
    The sale price for the 2014 Accord EX was $23,780 (including the $790 destination fee), $22,780 after incentives ($500 flex cash and $500 graduate cash). Then after negotiation, we had an agreement at final price of $22,000 (after all incentives) plus documentation fee (should be around $350) and tax (around $1500), and maybe another "non tax fee" ($125).

@yafei

Before any incentives and doc fees, your deal is $1288 below invoice. That's not bad at all.
    Your doc fee is pretty high, though.

Is the non tax fee the title and registration fees?

Can you provide the name of the dealership?

• albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200

Any chance you can provide the name of the dealer?

@veers said:
    Well... I finally pulled the trigger for .... $26,950 on the 14 V6 EX-L (no nav). $1600 under invoice. Also got $1,650 worth of free accessories (wheel locks, splash guards, trunk tray, nitro tires, protection package - didn't even ask for these!). I think it was a fair deal. Dealer told me they are losing money on this and I may be responsible for the dealership closing (lol!). I think they still made $200-300 on the deal, plus it helps them hit the $3,000 bonus from Honda (which I was not aware of when buying the car). I ended up buying in N Va. after giving up on the NY/NJ/CT market - full of overpriced dealers who don't want to sell cars. Figure it cost me $200 or so to rent a car, drive down, and drive the new car up. Car is amazing and I am very happy with the purchase.

My advice to everyone is to reach out to as many dealers as possible and watch the prices come down as they get more desperate for your business. Just keep following up and negotiating down. You know you hit gold when the dealer tells you that they are losing money on the deal and have no idea why they are selling you the car, and that the dealership's own employees can't even get such a low price on the car. Name of the game is keeping their gross margin at the 1% level, because the difference goes into your pocket.

As far as the $3,000 bonus cash, not going to be easy to exploit. It's only on the first 20 cars above last December's sales. Many dealers will discount aggressively now and have surpassed that number by late in the month. You will need to find a dealer right on the cusp, and push them hard to split the $3k. Their accounting department may not play ball, as your deal will show up as a huge loss until they get the money from Honda. Good luck, and good hunting.

• glastonburyglastonbury Member Posts: 22

I think that's a very good deal. The Connecticut market is just pricey (we subsidize the other markets in my opinion).

Oh, I would pay $1,000 if Honda just removed the dumb Lane Departure Warning. This is the dumbest feature a manufacturer has added since asbestos baby wipes.

(yes, I know it's a cinch to turn off...that's not what I'm talking about...30 engineers, wasted R&D, delivering a stupid feature we all pay as it's embedded in the price).

• gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699

@glastonbury said:
    (yes, I know it's a cinch to turn off...that's not what I'm talking about...30

engineers, wasted R&D, delivering a stupid feature we all pay as it's embedded in the price).

Hard to follow this and your previous two posts - no indication of who you replied to

2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited December 2013

glastonbury,

I have to agree with you. I turned mine off the first day. This feature may work better if your driving on country roads but not city driving. The FCW sysyem is also a nice feauture but very basic needs to be improved. I think the outside camera on the passanger's mirior is honda's best feature.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

edited December 2013

The way they set up this new system its hard to follow who posters are responding to unless they mention your name. I have alot of people IM me. Its probably best to post the name of the person you are responding to. Hopefully Edmunds works out the kinks.

To all forum members in the Accord Forum,

Any problems and concerns that may better this new forum format has to be sent to edmunds via email there is a link. Please send them

• jpelljpell Member Posts: 3

Brian,
    What are your thoughts regarding a "target" price to "buy now" for a 2014 Accord Sport. This would include everything but TTL. Looking to use your recommended method on Dec 30/31st. I'm located in the suburbs of Philly with several Honda dealers in the area (JL Freed, Conicelli, Piazza). If the total price difference was more than $300 I would consider MD dealers as well. I know there was a lot of discussion earlier regarding the DEC $3000 dealer incentive, but haven't seen much lately regarding deals people have made. Anyway, thanks in advance.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2013

jpell,

Dealers are using that 3000 incentive to there discrretion..And only the dealership who have grow thru the year will take full advantage of this incentive..Here is what dealers will and are using that money on. Lowering auto sales, Marketing, Radio and Tv ad's. Helping to get more people financing etc. you will not see any dealer give more than a little taste of that money. We are seeing it now.

There are also other year end incentives dealerships are working to meet which will help lower pricing. Buying at the end of dec is the best time to buy any vehicle along with a key element.

Get as many dealerships involved as possible. shoot out a email to 40 dealerships internet manager next week from NJ? Philly /DE/ MD. with your target price to buy that moment.
    In your email ask each dealership what there doc fee charge is?/ do they have flex cash to give//
    Once you have that info you email back with your target price to buy. I like to send out all my emails at the same time. Why?/ If 2 Md dealers will sell at 1500 below i immediatley call my local dealerships to see if they will match or beat that moment for the sale.

One day do your homework with emailing dealerships with your questions
    next day send out your target price to buy emails.

Pricing in NY/NJ Philly/ DE area R within a couple of hunded dollars of each other. End of the month is when you will see pricing change.

If I was buying a honda this month my first order of business is to call dealerships in maryland via email and see if i could get that good price and have a dealership match closer to me.

I'm not in the hunt this month for a honda so here is what i could tell you as far as pricing..

Your target numbers should be.

Ny/Nj Philly/ DE 700 to 1000 below invoice is very do-able. Plus flex if dealer has to give..

MD pricing....1000 to 1800 plus flex and only with the right dealership at 1800 below invoice.

Remember

If you want 1800 below invoice and dealership x doc fee charge is 300 dollars your asking and target price at that dealership is 2100 below invoice.

NJ has high doc fee's..... add dealers doc fee's onto your asking price so its a wash on the bill of sale..

• txstxs Member Posts: 5

I was able to purchase a 2014 LX CVT for 19500 (including destination) and 21000 drive out. This includes the $500 financing incentive only.

I live in the Houston area but no dealer here was willing to go below 21,800 drive out. I got this in Corpus Christi.

With the invoice price at 21,650, I hope the experts here will confirm this to be a good deal.

edited December 2013

txs

great price 1650 below invoice plus you recieved the flex cash of 500. putting your deal at 2150 below invoice.... Minus your dealers doc fee charge... great deal. Post the name of your buying dealership.

Enjoy your new car you did very well.

• johnnguyen714johnnguyen714 Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2013

I checked the site's invoice price for the 2014 Honda Accord EX and it is $24,523. People are saying we can get about $500 off invoice price right now which makes the selling price $24,000. But I just priced the price promised on this website and a lot of dealers price promise is $23,315. That is about 1200 off invoice price. That price includes destination fee too. It is too good of a price to be true or is there just to much competition in Southern California that they have to sell it for that low? I did the math and it came out as

Price (including destination charge) $ 23,315.00
    Documentation fee(s) (not gov't. fee) $ 80.00
    Taxable Total: $ 23,395.00
    8.00% Sales tax $ 1,871.60
    Subtotal with taxes: $ 25,266.60
    Registration (title) and license fees; $ 250.00
    Additional Official fee: Tire Fee $ 37.75
    FINAL PRICE $ 25,554.35

Is this a good price for the 2014 Honda Accord now? I didn't ask about the flex cash but will discuss it with them. Even w/o flex cash it is a deal worth going for? Thank you for any inputs.

• txstxs Member Posts: 5

Autonation Honda Corpus Christi.

My salesperson was Joe. It was a very smooth deal. Price was negotiated over the phone. I went in, filled out the paperwork, put the down payment and walked out with the car.

I was one of the lurkers on this board, reading all the posts for a couple of months. I thank all of you experts for the valuable advice that you shared. If it wasn't for your advice, I would not have got this price.

Once again - thank you all!!!!

edited December 2013

johnn714

Thats a very good price. what til month's end to get the very best pricing from all your targeted dealerships. Find dealerships with flex cash thats another 500 off bill of sale.

• lil_owllil_owl Member Posts: 47
    johnnguyen714

In case you didn't see my post with this new forum, Stayci with Spreen Honda offered me 22,624 for their EX including destination fee not including any incentives.

Florence

LIL

Not only is the weather fantastic in CA................. Pricing is very competitive

• tenisittenisit Member Posts: 1

Hi brian,
    I am looking for 2014 honda accord ex. So How much should i expect to pay before TTL, i live in minneapolis. doc fee here is 75$. i m going to buy by the year end. I did receive internet price qoute from few but all around 24350. which is the best dealer here to deal with. thank u.

edited December 2013

Tenisit,

I'm not sure what your area's market pricing is . Read my last couple of post on pricing in the North East. I set two price ranges you should fall into one or the other. get as many dealerships involved as far as your willing to travel. make your best deal closest to the end of the month.Your states doc fee's are not a factor so work on getting the lowest price.

This new web set up is terrible i cant give you a reference post number. please read prior posts and figure out a target price to buy. if you decide to choose the lower target price start at the higher end of it and work down from that number on the last 2 days, last day of this month for the sale.

• kat0kat0 Member Posts: 1

I see email is the way to go. Is it better to email directly to the dealer?

edited December 2013

kat0................yes directly to the internet manager with your target price to buy

• jpelljpell Member Posts: 3

Brian,

Thanks for reply above regarding End of Month pricing for Accord Sport. I've also been looking at the new Accord Hybrid model. Do you think its still too early to get invoice or below type pricing on those models??

Jpell

edited December 2013

That might be alot harder model to get below invoice price . If i was in the market for the hybrid model i would email and call the internet mgrs with a 500 below invoice offer to buy at months end plus flex cash if a dealer has to give.. Quick and simple.

paying invoice price plus a dealerships doc fee charge would be my bottom line price right now. ..

• naazimnaazim Member Posts: 17
    edited December 2013

Hi,

I'm currently trying to purchase a new 2014 Accord Sport CVT in the houston Texas area and wanted to know if the two price quotes are a good start in negotiating a great deal. These quotes are just from me sending the dealers an email to get a price to get the ball rolling.

The first quote is as follows,

Selling Price. $21,575.00   

Destination. $790.00

Sales Tax. $1,398.00

Inventory Tax $41.94

License, Title, Inspection. $145.00

Documentary Fee $125.00

Total Drive Out Price $24,077.94

Second quote is as follows,

MSRP STICKER. $ 25,305.00

INVOICE COST. $ 23,225.00

INTERNET PRICE. $21,135.00

DEST CHARGE. $790.00

ACCESSORIES $499.00 (include lifetime window tint, nitrogen tire upgrade, wheel locks, door guards, splash guards and a trunk mat)

PAINT & FABRIC PROTECTION. $ 299.00

SUB TOTAL. $ 22,723.00

STATE SALES TAX(+). $ 1,420.19

DEALER DOCUMENTARY FEE(+). $ 150.00

VEHICLE INSP. FEE (+). $ 39.50

LICENSE$ TITLE $ (+). $ 99.55

DEALER'S INVENTORY TAX. $ 48.78

TOTAL OTD. $ 24,481.02

(MUST FINANCE WITH AHF / WAPC)

I tried to get them to remove the Accessories and Paint protection but he said it's already on the car and nothing can be removed.

What deal is better in your opinion and is this even a good deal?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

• veersveers Member Posts: 81

Deal # 2 is terrible, never pay for useless accessories. Deal #1 seems overpriced. Invoice is $23,225, dealer #1 is only offering you $22,490 or $790 under invoice. You should be able to do a lot better than this. I would e-mail all your local internet dealers and offer $21,225 for the car, destination, doc fee, and including the $500 flex cash for financing through Honda. Refuse to pay for any accessories, and say that the only acceptable additional charges are the inventory fee and TTL. Tell them you will BUY TODAY, and if they don't accept try again on the morning of the 31st, and take your best counteroffer.

I would try the corpus christi dealers, they apparently are willing to go a lot lower on price.

edited December 2013

@naazim

Let me see if I can help break down your two deals.

Dealer 1:
    1. Sales price: $21,575 + 790 = $22365;
    2. Invoice price (including destination fee) = $23,225;
    3. Sales price below invoice = $860;
    4. Sales price below invoice with dealer doc fee of $125 = $735;
    5. What is the inventory tax? Does it only apply to Texas, because I have never heard of it here in MA;
    6. Did you ask whether they had any flex cash available if you financed through Honda?

Dealer 2:
    1. Sales price (without dealer add-ons): $21,135 + 790 = $21925*;
    2. Invoice price (including destination fee) = $23,225;
    3. Sales price below invoice = $1300;
    4. Sales price below invoice with dealer doc fee of $150 = $1150;

1. Cost of Dealer add-ons: $499 (Accessories) + $299 (paint and fabric protection) = $798;
    2. Sales price of car with all dealer add-ons = $22723;
    3. Sales price below invoice with all dealer add-ons = $502.

**Note: Since dealer 2 said you must finance through Honda Financial, did you ask them whether the sales price already includes the $500 flex cash?

Here are your options:

Since dealer 1 has the car without any accessories and their doc fees are low compared to dealer 2, find out whether they have flex cash available and negotiate on the sale price of the car. You should be able to get close to $1000 below invoice. Your best bet is to offer them a BUY NOW price the last two days of this month.

As for dealer 2, you have two options. You could ask them whether they can get you a car without any accessories. If they cannot and you want some of the accessories on the car they have, negotiate the cost of those accessories. If they do not want to budge, walk away and try and find another dealership that has the car without any dealer-add ons.

At this time of the year, $1000 below invoice on a 2014 model is do able.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Side note: I am not a big fan of the new forum format.

...my guess is the fabric protector has enough carcinogens in it to last a lifetime (a new Honda smells like a toxic waste dump for weeks anyway...why make it worse). I would tell that sum'[non-permissible content removed] to suck it and move on.

• naazimnaazim Member Posts: 17
    edited December 2013

Thanks for the advise Veers, and bluemkn57cars really appreciate it. Will do as y'all have stated and re email all the local dealers with my target price and see if any are willing to sell it for that much. Thanks!

• rms13rms13 Member Posts: 4

Hi, I have been trying to buy 2014 Accord LX model, with no additional add-ons in New Jersey.

Initial quote from most of the dealers was around $23,000, with break down being

invoice along with handling fees $20,920
    STATE SALES TAX NJ: $1,464.40

NJ TIRE TAX: $7.50

DOCUMENTATION FEE: $359

Out The Door price = 23,051.90

Almost 4-5 dealers quoted around this price.

With some bargaining, and cross quoting vendors, the best I could get so far is $22,300, I feel this is little high.

I tried asking abt the WSJ about the $3000 incentive. One of the dealers replied saying it seems last year Honda sold a lot of vehicles due to Sandy, so she mentioned it is totally unrealistic for any dealer to achieve more sales than last year. Sad part is few dealers aren't even responding when I send them other dealer quotes. I know few people who got their 2012 and 2013 accords for 20,000 - 22,000, in the middle of the year. I keep reading and hearing that end of the year is the best time to buy, but am unable to get those deals. Kindly provide me some tips for better bargaining.

Thanks, Sandeep.

• veersveers Member Posts: 81

Autosport may be your best bet in Jersey. It's a very tough market, and the dealers aren't necessarily dying for business. You are much better off reaching out to the MD and northern VA dealers mentioned in earlier threads. You should be able to get the car for at least $1600 under invoice at this point (including doc fees and the $500 flex cash), so that would make your target price $20,020, and then just add tax and registration, putting your OTD at around 22 flat. $22,300 is pretty decent for the NJ market, but your best bet is to aggressively push the MD and northern VA folks on the 30th/31st and look for a steal.

• brainage2brainage2 Member Posts: 24
    edited December 2013

I received the below email from Hendrick honda.

Hendrick Honda of Woodbridge's BLOWOUT YEAR END SALE is starting THURSDAY! THIS IS THE SALE YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR! It's time to take all that car shopping you've been doing and put it to good use!

DON'T BE FOOLED BY AREA DEALERS SENDING YOU PRICE QUOTES THAT INCLUDE INCENTIVES YOU DON'T QUALIFY FOR(active military, recent college grad, etc). Read the FINE PRINT! All of our pricing is available to ANYONE, REGARDLESS OF occupation, education level, or what kind of car you currently drive. In other words, if you DO qualify for these incentives, DEDUCT them from our pricing! View below for all current offers on brand new Hondas from Hendrick Honda Woodbridge:

Model Year: 2013

Civic LX Cpe A/T......................................... $14,982

Civic EX Cpe A/T......................................... $16,994

Civic LX Sdn A/T......................................... $15,428

Civic EX Sdn A/T......................................... $16,986

Model Year: 2014

Acc Sdn LX A/T............................................ $18,790

Acc Sdn EX A/T........................................... $21,590

Acc Sdn Sport A/T........................................ $20.390

Acc Sdn EX-L V6.......................................... $26,753

CRV LX 2WD................................................ $20,514

Odyssey LX.................................................... $25,363

All prices are good through the end of the month. We have included a FREE lifetime limited powertrain warranty and FREE VA inspections for life which is a $2,500 value for FREE. Email or call me back to schedule your VIP appointment. We look forward to hearing from you.

• jasonaccordjasonaccord Member Posts: 4

I got a quote from Norm Reeves for 20,600 without the flex cash. After all fees, the total would come out to 22,500. It seemed like a good deal. When I asked about financing, they would only offer the current 1.9% for 60 months even though there is a huge banner on their storefront offering 0% financing for 60 months. Manager told me the 0% is only available if I buy at sticker? Is this right?

• kkjwjwkkjwjw Member Posts: 1
    Thanks
    edited December 2013

jason

A dealer could say or do what ever they want,, Some dealers speciality's are lying and deceiving . They go hand and hand in the car business.. .

Norm Reeves is telling you .... If your stupid enough to buy one of his vehicles at full price he will give you a better finance rate.

• rms13rms13 Member Posts: 4

Thanks veers, will keep the forum posted on the final price.

@ jasonaccord

Tell the dealer that the 0% financing offer for 60 months is a deal breaker for you, and see what they say.
    Is that the best offer you have received? What model are you looking to purchase?

Happy Holidays everyone.

2014 lx cvt with msrp of 23500. Invoice is 20800 and dealer gave me 20100 with the flex cash, however he was not going to budge on the 0% offer they have posted on their website. The deal is a good deal, as many dealers were balking at that price.

• johnnguyen714johnnguyen714 Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2013

@jasonaccord said:
    I got a quote from Norm Reeves for 20,600 without the flex cash. After all fees, the total would come out to 22,500. It seemed like a good deal. When I asked about financing, they would only offer the current 1.9% for 60 months even though there is a huge banner on their storefront offering 0% financing for 60 months. Manager told me the 0% is only available if I buy at sticker? Is this right?

Are you in the Orange County CA Area? If so, which Norm Reeves is having the 0% APR? I saw the same offer at Honda World on their website. I also saw it on the Norm Reeves Cerritos Email but after reading the fine print it states the 0% APR only applies to the maximum amount of $10,000.

The actual terms were that the loan was for three years and the amount paid was to be 16.67 paid per month for every 1k borrowed up to 12k financed. I don't know if it is through AHFC or not.

Norm Reeves of Cerritos, near Honda World.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

@brian125 said:
    jason

A dealer could say or do what ever they want,, Some dealers speciality's are lying and deceiving . They go hand and hand in the car business.. .

Norm Reeves is telling you .... If your stupid enough to buy one of his vehicles at full price he will give you a better finance rate.

Yeah, well some customers are pretty adapt at lying too!

I've heard it all!

• finisfinis Member Posts: 6

Emailed a few dealers for base price, destination, any dealer add-on fees. Some responded with no price quote, only that someone would be contacting me. Ones that came with price quotes included "*Your price quote is valid for 7 days and does not include Dealer Installed Accessories, Tax, License, or Doc Fees. We reserve the right to modify this quote to correct arithmetic errors. Incentive and pricing programs are subject to change by the Manufacturer without notice. We will notify you promptly if any incentive or pricing programs or other terms change."

Is that common? Is there any point in following up?

• hps25hps25 Member Posts: 20

Hi All Experts,

I am reading this forum from Sep/Oct and gets lot of details, specially purchase price of New Car, how to deal with dealer and how's the market work for Honda Cars, from so many experts Brian, Isellhonda, bluemkn and so many others (apologized as I missed so many names).

I am planning to purchase 2014 - EX-L 4 Cyl by end of this month and due to this forum expert advice I got very good deal ($2100 down the Invoice) without flex cash in So Cal area. I am still hunting till end date of month.

As this forum is full with buyers, I need expert advice on purchased Honda Car.

I found that Major Honda Buyers facing Jerking problem after approx 700 mile. Even one of the expert of this Forum (Brian) also made statement that he is also facing the same problem in his 2013 V6 model. On Carcomplaints(dot)com total 76 complaints register for 2013 model out of that 80% are on the same issue (Jerk/Engine Problem) and out of that 50% are registered by NHTSA. I drove the car as test drive but didn't feel any jerk as it was too short (15 min)

Due to above issue, I can't take step forward to purchase one.

Why I chose Honda.. Answer is Good Resale Value, Safety and Good Engine.
    Question is "Is CVT Engine really good in New Honda car?"
    I am requesting here to all expert for them best advice if possible.
    [I am hoping, I am not violating any regulation/rule of this forum by asking such question at here and if I am then mod, please feel free to delete this post.]

All response will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
    HPS

• finisfinis Member Posts: 6

hps25,
    Can you tell which dealership in SoCal gave you that $2100 down the Invoice? How hard was it to get to that price?