Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Subaru Forester

Comments

• laszlo9laszlo9 Member Posts: 36
    edited November 2013
  • laszlo9laszlo9 Member Posts: 36
    Here is my test with the coin. And there is no trick. You can try it yourself but check if the coin will stand on the table first because some of them are rounded off from use. http://imageshack.com/i/5m2qywj
  • gmwaltersgmwalters Member Posts: 20
    That is a really neat demonstration. Thanks for sharing the pic.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    To better handle ice this winter my '14 XT's stock tires were traded for Nokian WRG2 SUV's (sadly, the superior WRG3 is not available for the 14 XT's 18" wheels, but is for base Foresters).

Ride's slightly stiffer, road noise might be slightly higher. Impact harshness seems about the same.
    For proof how bad stock tires are, visit "fastlanecar.com" on the web and watch their '14 XT snowy misadventure (the Bridgestone Duellers are awful :surprise: ).
  • jjdphotographyjjdphotography Member Posts: 9

Which Forester's have the LED's inside the headlight housings? I've seen review videos where 2014 Forester have LED lights inside the headlight housings. These are factory installed, not aftermarket LED. None at the local dealership have these and Suabru only shows the out dated DTR's on the exterior pics. Even the pictures of the Forester on Edmunds show the LED lights. Anyone have the scoop on this? Thank you.

The HID equipped'14 Foresters are the ones with LED's. Other '14 Foresters make do with halogen and other incandescent lighting.
    BTW, overseas Forester XT's have additional lighting inside the black vertical strips up front. Lamp sockets are present and unused. For unknown reasons Subaru did not offer that lighting for USA.

• imaginaryimaginary Member Posts: 62

@jjdphotography said:
    Which Forester's have the LED's inside the headlight housings? I've seen review videos where 2014 Forester have LED lights inside the headlight housings. These are factory installed, not aftermarket LED. None at the local dealership have these and Suabru only shows the out dated DTR's on the exterior pics. Even the pictures of the Forester on Edmunds show the LED lights. Anyone have the scoop on this? Thank you.

From cars101.com:

"only the Touring model with HIDs has the LED lights, part of the optional Eyesight package. The LEDs are on with all lights except daytime running lights.. 2.5i shown with silver interior bezel. All 2.0XTs have black interior bezel"

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2014photos1.html

• jjdphotographyjjdphotography Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2013

Thanks to you both for the info! That cars101 link is really nice!
    I'll sit back and wait on the 15's as I am not interested in leather. Perhaps the "Eyesight Package" will be available on all models. Also, a lot of complaints about the placement of the back up camera in the smaller screen and base audio systems muffled sound. Definitely enough reasons for me to keep my money in my pocket another year.

ADDED: Are the headlight housings interchangeable? I would definitely consider purchasing the HIDs / headlight housings and installing after purchase. Oh, I would hate to tear a brand new car down for this, but would do so as I definitely would want the OEM HID's / LEDS. Thanks again.

• albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200

For all of you with the 2014 Forester's, are you satisfied with your CVT transmission.

Is the Forester CVT the same unit that has been used in the Outback? I like the Forester but with any new model, first year is more likely to have issues.

• saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694

0 to 60 time for the Forester is notably less than the Outback...each with a CVT but the same engine specification. With not very different weights, that suggests there could be a difference in the CVTs. I'm not referring to the Foresster XT's different higher torque rating CVT.

• dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567

@saedave said:
    0 to 60 time for the Forester is notably less than the Outback...each with a CVT but the same engine specification. With not very different weights, that suggests there could be a difference in the CVTs. I'm not referring to the Foresster XT's different higher torque rating CVT.

Is the Outback 0-60 time based on the CVT in D(rive) mode or is it in M(anual) using paddle shifters? Remember, Forester non-XT models do not have M mode or paddle shifters.

Consumer Reports' measurements are in drive mode, I believe. Of course final drive ratio could be different except that Forester also gets outstanding highway mpg in their tests.

Could the drag coefficient of the higher Forester actually be better than the Outback?...seems unlikely.

Subaru apparently made improvements to the CVT for the regular '14 Forester, and a new short-pitched chain CVT model for both XT and (tweaked) upcoming WRX). The CVT in my '14 XT works well and relatively quietly, with little of the "rubber band" characteristics of early CVT's.
    3 selectable driving modes let you choose responsiveness. Intelligent mode's "laid back", with gradual throttle response and tendency to keep engine revs low. Sport mode lets CVT rev higher and more responsively.. Sport Sharp keeps CVT hold a given gear longer as it pretends it's an 8 speed auto. IMHO Sport seems the best compromise for all but the most aggressive driving.
    Also, during warmup CVT keeps engine RPM's higher.

• fandangofandango Member Posts: 18

I got a 2014 Forester Premium CVT a few months ago and have put on almost 5k miles so far of 80/20 highway driving. Here are a few observations:

I'm averaging just over 30 mpg based on fuel purchases. The dashboard information display shows mileage to be slightly better than it actually is.

The CVT works well so far. I'm pleasantly surprised and quite pleased. However, I haven't really had it any seriously steep or rough situations where AWD was required.

My only complaints are very minor irritations, such as:

The design looks front-heavy and "jowly" to me, and the angle of approach is less than it should be for a vehicle like this.

The front seats are smaller than the seats of an Impreza, without any side support but with an aggressive lumbar support. It's comfortable...but not as comfortable as it could be.

When relaxed in a relaxed position, my left knee rests against the door and hits a sharp edge by the window controls. After awhile this is annoying and there's no way to adjust the seat to avoid it.

Finally, the front seats are just a little too far from the door. This makes it awkward to rest one's arm or elbow on the window sill. The arm rests on either side are at a good height and distance, but if you're used to resting an arm out the window or on the window sill, this feels a little awkward to me in this car.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

@fandango said:
    When relaxed in a relaxed position, my left knee rests against the door and hits a sharp edge by the window controls.

That's an issue in my '97 Outback too. Keep meaning to tape some foam to that spot. Good review, thanks.

• groovingdgroovingd Member Posts: 5
    Hey I'm new here and I'm on the market for a 2014 forester 2.5i base and I read online about that owners have trouble with the oil consumption which shouldn't be happening on a new car . Anyone read about it or dealing,with that ?
    thanks in advance
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788

This car has the same engine as was introduced in the 2011 MY, so if such a problem exists, it should be fairly well documented at this point. There is always going to be a consumption range from one engine to the next, and it will depend slightly on the user's oil properties as well.

I'm very pleased that my engine, which is a 2010 EJ rather than FB engine, generally runs the entire OCI without the need for topping off. I run my OCIs at 10-15,000 miles. I expected that I should need to add some oil every 4-5,000 from past experiences with Subaru.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Ok yeah I understand that . I remember reading that on carcomplaints.com about the 2014 from about 5 or 6 owners . But I guess it is negligible in the pool of 2014 owners.
    I'm going to test drive the base model , the XT and the XV Thursday.
    we shall see.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

@groovingd

let us know your thoughts on the Forester & XV!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

null
    I certainly will :)
    Yesterday I went for a test drive of the '14 forester premium CVT (as they ran out of manual :/) .

At 6'1" , I didn't have any trouble getting in/out and the seating was fine . With a few adjustments , I was comfortable . The visibility is great in that car . I was impressed because none of the other cars I've owned had that much visibility (corolla, Accord,Mazda...).

The CVT for me , just doesn't work , I understand its intended purpose but I do thoroughly enjoy controlling the amount of torque and power I get with the manual.
    The info center was not close but it didn't bother me much cause I could still see it clearly.
    I don't know why they had to put the digital fuel indicator when the needle is just fine but that's a personal thing .
    I love the turning radius and that it was sure-footed and going when you accelerate . The car had enough power for me not too little not too much just right but looking,forward to drive the 6 speed .

I did a little sway test and we were not tossed around and I liked that very much . I was also pleased with the amount of room inside . My wife sat behind me and was surprised by that as well as the comfort . Being a drummer , the trunk has some good space and will be able to move my equipment with ease.

they gave me a price of 23000 for the base 2.5i including destination and transport since they will go get from another dealer + 3.25% and 299 ( excluding TT&L).

The dealership has about 5 or 6 '14 XTs on the lot . Really nice but I didn't wanna torture myself. I wasn't able to test drive the XV as they only had automatic models. My wife felt like it was just like the Impreza hatch we test drove before but only tough looking and higher of the ground. But she thought it looked nicer inside as a premium vehicle.
    Well that's all I got .
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

@groovingd

I'm specifically NOT going to test drive an XT because I'm sure my budget will go out the window if I do:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• highalthighalt Member Posts: 4

I just posted under "Off-Road Experience". I test drove a 2014 XT the other day and really liked it. I live up at 7800 feet and need to be able to safely travel steep roads with lots of snow and some off-road scenarios, albeit not so rigorous as I've driven in the 2005 Jeep Rubicon I'm going to sell. I have been "warned" against getting the turbo by a friend who is a Subaru mechanic. After reading all the posts on these forums, I'm hoping he's mostly been working on pre-2011 models and hasn't kept up with changes made. BTW was given a quote of $31601 ($1000 below inv) for 2014 2.0XT Touring with popular package #2, sport grille gunmetal trim, all weather floor mats and cross bar set (options come with vehicle they already have on order). Any comments, esp regarding the turbo reliability? Thanks!

Consumer Reports says poorer engine reliability on XT turbo engines for some years to 2009. My 2010 XT had no problems and my 2014 XT is fine to date. Your dealer at least didn't load up the XT Touring like some I turned down before buying an XT Premium. Their in-stock Touring models were $37,000 plus!

Thanks for the reply. I did read Consumer's, which is partly why I suspected that the problems may have been on earlier models. Of course, I also wondered if the altitude here (6000-8000 feet) might affect the engine. How many miles do you have on your 2014 and what kind of mpg do you get?

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788

@highalt said:
    I just posted under "Off-Road Experience". I test drove a 2014 XT the other day and really liked it. I live up at 7800 feet and need to be able to safely travel steep roads with lots of snow and some off-road scenarios, albeit not so rigorous as I've driven in the 2005 Jeep Rubicon I'm going to sell. I have been "warned" against getting the turbo by a friend who is a Subaru mechanic. After reading all the posts on these forums, I'm hoping he's mostly been working on pre-2011 models and hasn't kept up with changes made. BTW was given a quote of $31601 ($1000 below inv) for 2014 2.0XT Touring with popular package #2, sport grille gunmetal trim, all weather floor mats and cross bar set (options come with vehicle they already have on order). Any comments, esp regarding the turbo reliability? Thanks!

As I mentioned in the other thread, I wouldn't worry about the turbo. Everything I've read about the new 2.0 DIT has been positive; same with the high-torque CVT. Living in the mountains that's the engine to get.

Bob

Great. Thanks for both posts.

@highalt said:
    Great. Thanks for both posts.

The only problems I've heard of with turbos are with kids abusing them, and modding them. Take care of it, and it will treat you fine.

Bob

null
    @nycarguy ,
    that's exactly why I didn't test drove the XT .. It looked really good but yeah the budget was going to disappear ... Lol..
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

@highalt said:
    Thanks for the reply. I did read Consumer's, which is partly why I suspected that the problems may have been on earlier models. Of course, I also wondered if the altitude here (6000-8000 feet) might affect the engine. How many miles do you have on your 2014 and what kind of mpg do you get?

Altitude is one of the best reasons for getting the turbo... Less loss of power at high altitude with a turbo..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Both my '09 and now '14 XT turbos have been reliable (also, very little engine oil used). However, MPG's plummet if you're heavy with right foot or do short trips requiring engine warm-up. '14 feels more solid than '09 (especially front doors), but dash rattles appear on roads with closely spaced ridges (plowed snow, etc). On day of bad snowstorm '14 with its Nokian WRG2 tires climbed 30 degree snowy hill with no trouble. '14's info screen's handy, but voice recognition's atrocious and Navigation (while better than '09) lags Garmin's.

@kurtamaxxxguy said:
    Both my '09 and now '14 XT turbos have been reliable (also, very little engine oil used). However, MPG's plummet if you're heavy with right foot or do short trips requiring engine warm-up. '14 feels more solid than '09 (especially front doors), but dash rattles appear on roads with closely spaced ridges (plowed snow, etc). On day of bad snowstorm '14 with its Nokian WRG2 tires climbed 30 degree snowy hill with no trouble. '14's info screen's handy, but voice recognition's atrocious and Navigation (while better than '09) lags Garmin's.

The all-new Legacy gets new navigation/infotainment. I'm really hoping it's a massive step forward from what they've offered to date.

FWIW, Subaru knows this is a real sore spot with buyers. It's also been a sore spot for SOA too. They've been trying to upgrade these existing units, but I guess there's only so much that can be done. Unfortunately they've been locked into using these lousy units from outside suppliers. Hopefully those agreements are coming to an end soon.

Bob

I'm not a fan of the whole "infotainment" and nanny system movement, but clearly this is the trend of the future. So, if you're going to offer them, you might as well offer the best.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

@rsholland said:
    FWIW, Subaru knows [navigation/infotainment's] a real sore spot with buyers. It's also been a sore spot for SOA too.<

Late last year, Subaru did offer a free update to the Forester's system which improved the icons and switch operation. Hopefully Legacy's new system will be better, and eventually migrate to the Forester.

edited February 2014

Agreed. The new-gen infotainment needs to trickle down to all Subies ASAP.

Bob

• subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403

Ive been lurking for most of the last 10 years because my 2004 XT just refused to give us any trouble ,so I had nothing to complain about. 155K miles later, Bob is still holding down the fort in these forums and its time to pass the 2004 XT along to the college freshman and the wife is torn between a XT or a 2.5i Touring..she really likes that Jasmine Green Metallic. I've calculated the upfront difference would be about $2750 and the annual gas cost difference about $250, about $45/month combined.

While I'm inclined to let the better half make the final decision ( she absconded the 2004 XT within months, saying that she needed the "better visibility". Did I mention I drove a Toyota Sierra for the next 8 years?) but everything Ive read suggests that the high torque CVT in the XT may be a more reliable transmission than the standard issue CVT in the 2.5i. The greater legroom in the 2014 model and the graduation of the middle daughter meant thast I could sell the Sienna with confidence and the new Forester will be the family vacation vehicle in addition to the wife's daily driver.

Thoughts?

As an owner of the 2014 XT I would suggest you test drive the XT enough to be sure the rather stiff ride over frost heaved roads does not bother you. It does NOT ride as well as my previous 2010 XT. It stops much better; handling is superb and interior noise under acceleration is greatly reduced.

• familyguy77familyguy77 Member Posts: 1

Hello all, me and my wife are in the process of buying a Subaru but are also expecting
    another child , so my question to everyone is would the Subaru Forester be a good car
    with two child seats, toys and 3 suit cases and long trips on the road visiting Grandma
    and Grandpa? we r just looking at space would it be a good fit?

The extended rear seat leg room makes plenty of room for 2 child seats in the back seat and room for 3 suitcases , toys and even a folding playpen in the rear. The boxy shape of the rear area makes the Forester more useful for carrying bulky kid items than wagons with sloping rear windows.

Agreed. Forester is a perfect fit for the application you mentioned, familyguy.

My family completed a five-week trip last September in our Forester with our two children. While we downsized to just the bun-boosters from large, full-backed units in order to save on some space, we covered nearly 13,000 miles in that five weeks, including camping for the whole trip, and the car held everything very well. Our only space add-on was our trusty hitch-mounted cargo tray, which held our cooler, water, and other various weather-resistant supplies. All of the clothing, camping gear, and more fit into the cargo area of the car.

I'm not sure these trips will be quite so smooth when the kids are old enough to fully occupy their footwells, but said wells are generously large, even for adults (or teens)!

• fandangofandango Member Posts: 18

I've got nearly 15k miles on my 2014 Forester (Premium CRV) with some off-road experience in Death Valley. I was very pleased with the performance of the CRV on steep crawling situations. I wish there was a way to turn off the traction control system, there were a couple of times when it seemed more intrusive on the driving experience than necessary, but otherwise the Forester performed well. No significant oil burning so far. My only complaints are minor (as posted here in an earlier review) and have to do with the relatively low angle of approach and seating comfort.

@fandango said:
    I've got nearly 15k miles on my 2014 Forester (Premium CRV) with some off-road experience in Death Valley. I was very pleased with the performance of the CRV on steep crawling situations. I wish there was a way to turn off the traction control system, there were a couple of times when it seemed more intrusive on the driving experience than necessary, but otherwise the Forester performed well. No significant oil burning so far. My only complaints are minor (as posted here in an earlier review) and have to do with the relatively low angle of approach and seating comfort.

First off you mean CVT, not CRV (a Honda). :) Second, you can turn off the traction control via a button on the lower edge of your dashboard. Check your owner's manual.

Bob

For those out there with 2014/2015 Touring editions (2.5i or XT), how do you like the HID headlights and remote entry? Any obvious design flaws?

My 2012 Impreza Sport Limited may be totaled (deer hit), so I'm starting to research a replacement vehicle. Would probably at least get the 2.5i Limited, but may splurge for the 2.5i Touring for the HID headlights and remote entry.

Thanks,
    Dave

The remote entry and HID lights work well (2015 XT Touring). Also like the LED exterior mirors..helps you find your car door in the dark .

@subewannabe said:
    The remote entry and HID lights work well (2015 XT Touring). Also like the LED exterior mirors..helps you find your car door in the dark .

Thanks. Picking up my 2015 Forester 2.5i Touring today.

We've had the 2015 XT touring for 8 weeks now. The Eyesight system is way better than I could have imagined. The NAV/MMI is way worse . I'm going back to picking up maps at Welcome Centers and having sing-alongs, playing license plate bingo with the passengers. Every other feature of the car exceeds expectations.

@subewannabe said:
    We've had the 2015 XT touring for 8 weeks now. The Eyesight system is way better than I could have imagined. The NAV/MMI is way worse . I'm going back to picking up maps at Welcome Centers and having sing-alongs, playing license plate bingo with the passengers. Every other feature of the car exceeds expectations.

Subaru's nav/infotainment has long been a joke. That's about to change. The all-new Legacy and Outback have a completely re-engineered infotainment system, and early reports are that it's much improved. Hopefully it will trickle down to all other Subarus soon.

• mikeanddawnmikeanddawn Member Posts: 1

@rsholland said:
    Subaru's nav/infotainment has long been a joke. That's about to change. The all-new Legacy and Outback have a completely re-engineered infotainment system, and early reports are that it's much improved. Hopefully it will trickle down to all other Subarus soon.

the forester nav system is NOT a joke, you don't know what you are talking about
    I have had it for a year.
    not the best but far from a joke
    the outback nav system is for the higher end Subaru's
    it will not end up in the lower models

you simply don't know anything about Subaru products.

• njsporstsfannjsporstsfan Member Posts: 2

does anyone have the MF and residual for the 2014 2.5 Premium with 15k a year for 36 months? thanks

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,985

@njsporstsfan said:
    does anyone have the MF and residual for the 2014 2.5 Premium with 15k a year for 36 months? thanks

.00075 MF and 58% for 36/15

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4