Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

@imidazol97 said:
    I have set the Bookmarks as my Favorite in the Firefox browser bar. So to come to Edmunds, I just click on that and it takes me to Bookmarks with autologon.

'imid'...I was thinking about doing this too. Then I got sidetracked and didn't do it. I've done it now and it does work.

Great minds think alike but then there are some that forget what they thought. :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

@stickguy said:
    . Click the star to put this thread into bookmarks.

This sounds good...but, I need some help. I finally found the star, clicked on it, but it said I don't have any bookmarks. So, the question is, how do I set this topic up as a "Bookmark"?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

Is the star at the top of this page, next to the discussion title, showing as filled in with yellow? If so, it should be bookmarked. It's a bit confusing, because that does not bookmark it in your BROWSER. It bookmarks it here in forums, meaning that once you are here, you can access it by going to the "my bookmarks" link on the right-hand side of the page. Confusing, because "bookmark" is also the term used when you add something to your internet browser for easy access.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146

@jmonroe said:
    Great minds think alike but then there are some that forget what they thought. :o

Exactly. :o

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@driver100 said: So, the question is, how do I set this topic up as a "Bookmark"?

Possibly the star was clicked twice, which changed it to bookmarked and then back to not marked.

Go into the Name box where Bookmarks is and click on Participated. This will list topics where you have been. Look at the Stories..... item: is the star next to it yellow? If not, click one time on the star, and it should now turn yellow. Look through the list and see if there are others you want to be in your Bookmarked group here. Click on them to turn them yellow. Now go back to the box and click on Bookmarks (which used to be Watched). See if the ones you want are now shown in the group of Bookmarked items for the forum.

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855

![](http://http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/Media/580x348/b3/b38e673c320744069d380210b4b1e467.jpg "")")

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

Just checking out ease of using pictures

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@mako1a said:
    Just checking out ease of using pictures

Cool pic.......obviously a Benz and a show car. But, every time I've seen that "chrome" paint, and having seen an Audi show car with that same paint at one of the auto shows, I keep thinking what a bear that would be to take care of.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

@imidazol97 said: ...This will list topics where you have been. Look at the Stories..... item: is the star next to it yellow? If not, click one time on the star, and it should now turn yellow. >

For those of us who's dues are fully paid up for the year, it is GOLD. :p

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486

@mako1a said:
    ![](http://http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/Media/580x348/b3/b38e673c320744069d380210b4b1e467.jpg "")")

Cool. Mike's next car!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

@imidazol97 said:

isellhondas
    I think I have longer seniority than you. I have several hundred posts more than you do.

But I have no ideal how many years I've been here. :)

The number of posts has nothing to do with seniority. I just may be more less prone to post than you are. After all, I'm pretty shy don't ya know?

I went back and looked at some topics I had started and read through a couple. I was reminded of some great people from the past that have for various reasons disappeared. I know I started here in early 1996.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@stickguy said:

2021 Genesis G90

No, that certainly would not be my next car! I could get into it, but once I got in, I'd never be able to get out. So I would have to purchase the car as my "final resting place" or "final resting car" since I would have to be buried in it. Not even a shoe-horn could successfully get me out of that car. One of the prerequisites of purchasing a car for myself if the ease of getting in and out of it - so - this one does not meet with the prerequisite. LOL

2021 Genesis G90

@Kirstie@Edmunds said:
    Is the star at the top of this page, next to the discussion title, showing as filled in with yellow? If so, it should be bookmarked.

No, it wasn't...so I did that. I assume that should solve that problem..but, I'll let you know. Thanks!

Now, what if I am reading a reply, but, I want to see the post being replied to?

@imidazol97 said:
    driver100 said: So, the question is, how do I set this topic up as a "Bookmark"?

Possibly the star was clicked twice, which changed it to bookmarked and then back to not marked.

Go into the Name box where Bookmarks is and click on Participated.

Thanks, if method one doesn't work I'll try this one.....if I can ever find your post again.......

@mako1a said:

Too much glare for me.........how will I see anything if I am driving that car around in Florida,
    not to mention what are the other drivers going to do if they are following me.

That does remind me, they had these great looking golf cart type vehicles at Home Depot, they look like Jeeps. I think they are called Bulldog Utility Vehicles and they are way cooler than a golf cart.

(I tried to add a picture but the image button seems to work different than it used to, if it works at all.)

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

@driver100 said:

Stever has suggestions on how to attach photos in the Forum Navigation Tips topic in general

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited December 2013

@isellhondas said: "I was reminded of some great people from the past that have for various reasons disappeared."

This is most certainly true. I had forgotten about some of the boards I used to participate in, including the one that would [non-permissible content removed] about that preposition at the end of that phrase I just used.

Pat and others are remembered, at least by me and probably by you as well.

I've been on here for about 14 years, but I get credit for being on since November. Oh well. . .

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

Here is an interesting experience. Last month I got a bug to trade in my Prius for a Mazda5. Found a great price over in St. Louis and told him about my Prius. He got me to give him a credit card # to guarantee the price and show I was interested. Drove right over and took a test drive and didn't really like the Mazda and I had overestimated my trade in value thanks to KBB. No deal and as I left my wife asked me about the credit charge and I said that this was a big operation and it wasn't like I had them hold the car for a week. In all the decades I've bought cars, I've never had a deposit kept by the dealer if the deal didn't go through. Until today when we got our card statement and there it was. I called and left messages nicely explaining the issue and said that there must have been some mistake. No one returned my call so I started a dispute with my credit card holder. I gave them the details -- especially that that deposit was never explained to me as non refundable. I was going right over to the dealer and there were questions about whether I would like the car and if the trade would be satisfactory. I would never have authorized a no refundable deposit -- they had 30 Mazda5's on the lot -- it wasn't like I was hindering a sale. The credit card said they would act on my behalf to get the dispute settled but would authorize a credit for the amount [$100] regardless of the outcome. They will notify me of the out come. Warning -- never give a dealer a deposit without making sure it is refundable. I'm still totally surprised that a local dealership this size would use this sneaky tactic to scam a measly $100. They made a non friend with a big mouth for life.

@cdnpinhead said:
    I've been on here for about 14 years, but I get credit for being on since November. Oh well. . .

cdn, I remember you from way back. There is now a feature that lets us view the topics we started. I think they stopped letting us start our own topics at some point and I don't know if the new forums allow us to do that.

Anyway, I did manage to start some pretty active topics but eventually, they all seem to die as people run out of things to say. I was reading some of those that were 12 years old and older and was reminded of some people that just disappeared like badgerpaul, carnut and a lot of others. I know carnut has some serious medical problems so I hope he is still with us. I know we've lost a few like mackabee and a couple of hosts like Pat. Time takes it's toll on everything.

This one is raised a bit making in/out easier

@jayrider said:

The credit card said they would act on my behalf to get the dispute settled but would authorize a credit for the amount [$100] regardless of the outcome.

I am surprised too. I had to give a $2000 deposit when they made up an offer for a BMW, hate to lose that. I don't know under what principle they could keep your money, if you didn't accept the deal. They should be reported to your local dealer network or something, that is just wrong.

The RED car above>

Giugiaro Parcour | Geneva

To celebrate 45 years in business, Italdesign Giugiaro created this GT engineered to tackle rugged terrain like an SUV and handle the road like a sports car. The striking design and large, off-road tires say this vehicle is ready to handle almost anything that can be thrown at it. Inside, the driver can choose among one of four modes at the touch of a button: comfortable driving, off-road driving, snow driving and driving at the track. An electronic system modifies the handling, ride height and engine setup. Completing this sporting package is a 550-horsepower Lamborghini V10 engine.

@jayrider said:
    Here is an interesting experience. Last month I got a bug to trade in my Prius for a Mazda5. Found a great price over in St. Louis and told him about my Prius. He got me to give him a credit card # to guarantee the price and show I was interested. I'm still totally surprised that a local dealership this size would use this sneaky tactic to scam a measly $100. They made a non friend with a big mouth for life.

So what year Prius, what was KBB trade and what was their offer?
    Tell them you want to drive it again and take it home...they'll come talk to you. ps where are you?

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited December 2013

@cdnpinhead said:
    . . .I used to participate in, including the one that would [non-permissible content removed] about that preposition at the end of that phrase I just used.

Wow, this is excellent. Something I wrote got edited in a fashion reminiscent of the TV show that puts beeps in otherwise innocuous statements -- makes it much racier than it really was.

This platform provides added entertainment, beyond trying to figure out how it works.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

St. Louis --- Big dealer is Bommarito. After we drove the Mazda5 --- I wouldn't want one --- There was 3k difference between KBB 16500 and their appraisal 13500. I really didn't have a problem with that -- KBB is obviously way high for a Prius. Once I saw that -- decided to keep it. My wife loves the car.

@cdnpinhead said:

I saw that! So what words besides the obvious ones can't we use? :)

And I agree with whoever said the new emotocons were silly!

2021 Genesis G90

That's one thing I love about my car - you can raise it a few inches by pressing the air-matic button - which makes getting in and out of the car way easier. But the car you posted, mako, would be disastrous to me since there is no way I'd ever be able to get out of that car!

2021 Genesis G90

I'd ever be able to get out of that car!

Well Mike, I had steps installed on the 2006 Silverado 2500 I just bought per wifey's request and I find myself using them too.
    Another feature it has is easy exit. Push a button and the seal lowers and drops the front sort of sliding you out. I quit using it as it was sort of the truck saying "Get out of here" :o

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

@jayrider said:
    They made a non friend with a big mouth for life.

And that can lose them many sales, I speak from experience.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

@mako1a said:
    I'd ever be able to get out of that car!

Well Mike, I had steps installed on the 2006 Silverado 2500 I just bought per wifey's request and I find myself using them too.
    Another feature it has is easy exit. Push a button and the seal lowers and drops the front sort of sliding you out. I quit using it as it was sort of the truck saying "Get out of here" :o

2021 Genesis G90

Mako, I have a setting for easy exit as well, in the settings menu. It is supposed to raise the steering wheel and move the seat back to allow for easier exit. But I think, because this car is already so low, it does nothing to help me get out of the car. The steering wheel has that flat bottom, which does help, to some extent. But let's face it, as we get older, the knees, spine and hips don't work as well as they once did. So it's either reduce my amount of driving, give up driving altogether, or "GET USED TO IT!" So, I'm just going to have to get used to it.

But I can still dream of the days when I had a Stingray, GTO, Charger RT, Porsche 944 Turbo, etc., and was able to slip in and out of those cars with ease. Ahh....I think my face just exhibited a satisfied smile. Those truly were the good old days.

2021 Genesis G90

• riley3riley3 Member Posts: 29

Remember the mid 70's Chev Monte Carlo's with seats that rotated 90 degrees for easy exit?

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486

@riley3 said:
    Remember the mid 70's Chev Monte Carlo's with seats that rotated 90 degrees for easy exit?

The Monte had those too? I will always remember the name Chevelle Laguna S-3 because of those swivel seats.

Not a bad idea. I have been carting my mother around the last few days (recently out of PT rehab) and getting her in and out of the RDX takes a bit of effort.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

They have swivel seat bottoms that you place on the seat. My mom used one == seemed to help.

@stickguy I think some 60s Thunderbirds have rotating seats to help dump the driver out. I have seen them at car shows. Although possibly they were aftermarket addons.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341

No, you are right; that was an option on some T Birds- and I think Chrysler offered it on some of their cars as well.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Yes some of the Chrysler 300 letter cars had them.

@roadburner said:
    No, you are right; that was an option on some T Birds- and I think Chrysler offered it on some of their cars as well.

Yes, you are correct...both had them. I think the swivel seats were standard in a T-Bird. We would probably have them today, except they probably won't meet safety requirements.

Did anyone tell me how to put in an image? There are lots of pictures of swivel seats if you google it.

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

@driver100 said:

Stever has a topic in general that includes post pics, if I do the link thing correctly you can just click on it
    :

forums.edmunds.com/discussion/16564/general/x/forum-navigation-tips#latest

edited December 2013

@ray80 said:
    [forums.edmunds.com/discussion/16564/general/x/forum-navigation-tips#latest](http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/16564/general/x/forum-navigation-tips#latest

Thanks for the info ray...I am not sure it works as stated. I can't find the URL unless it is like the old system when I used the "image information" option. I tried it below but I don't think it is going to work.

One thing that I did master is the bookmark thing. I click on the star, check bookmarks, see if there are new posts, and go to sales frontlines. What a sense of accomplishment!

My 1974 Monte Carlo had the swivel seats- a fun novelty that was very appropriate for a baroque '70s "Personal Luxury Car."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@roadburner said:
    My 1974 Monte Carlo had the swivel seats- a fun novelty that was very appropriate for a baroque '70s "Personal Luxury Car."

• Yeah, my buddys Monte Carlo was baroque a lot too.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,895

@roadburner said:

With your current taste in cars, I just can't imagine you driving a 70s American piece of iron. I think I remember reading that you hopped yours up a bit. 74 wasn't exactly a high mark for performance.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I didn't have much choice as my dad was helping to pay for it. He wanted me to buy from a local dealer and thought a Z28 was too fast for me(15 second quarter- a rocketship :D ). I was already hooked on BMWs and Road&Track had tested a Monte Carlo and said that it drove very well and that it would keep up with a Bavaria if the road was wide enough, so that pretty much put me in that particular car. Two years later I bought a Datsun SPL-311 roadster and since then all but two of my cars have come from either Europe(BMW, Ford of Germany, Volvo) or Japan(Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan).

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

So, catching up here. Since my Audi is still languising yet again at my dealership while U.S. Corporate, the Region, the Chicago dealer and the local dealer decide what to do with it., I went out looking around yesterday.

I'm driving around in a recent (2013) 4 cyl A6 loaner. So, I must have "anti-sale" stamped on my forehead since there weren't many people who acutally approached me when I pulled into most lots.

First up, I visited my friends at my local BMW dealership. They know me there, and were surprised to see me in any Audi. After a brief "this is a loaner...I have something else....no, it's not a BMW" chatter, we got down to talking about cars. Surprisingly, I guess cars are considered good Christmas gifts, as they were pretty busy. Luckily, my sales person has so much tenure there, he can write his own deals. He tells me he's with someone writing up a deal, and that I should look around and come back with an idea of what I might want to drive.

Cut to the chase, I drove an X1 35ix (small SUV). It's very fast and handles well for what it is. Not sure it's size (small) makes it ideal as an SUV, but still fun. Kind of "funky" looking as only BMW can make funky look.

I also drove a 528ix. I really have a hard time liking BMW's 4 cyl turbo. Yes, it's torquey. Yes, it's probably about the right size for me. But man, does that engine thrash. I was underwhelmed, particularly given its price (MSRP nearly $60K, not even remotely loaded).

Was going to drive a 3-er, but figured I have enough experience that I pretty much know how they drive.

Took a little trip to the Benz dealership. They had two CLAs. No ifs, ands, buts....they're lookers. Again, a turbo 4 cyl. There's some cost cutting that is apparent once you sit inside, and the seats may as well be church pews they're so hard. Very briefly drove one, Not bad. Peppy. Torque steer is evident if you stomp on it. Looks alone will sell these cars.

Drove a C300 4 matic. Again, these cars drive nice. The one I drove MSRP of $50K, give or take. They aren't particularly quick. But, they have some safety features that are interesting (telling you when the car thinks you're falling asleep at the wheel). Leather's extra (huh?). Withall deference given to abacomike, I think an Accord drives better, by a pretty wide margin, than either the CLA or the C300.

IF you made me buy a car today, based on yesterday's drives, I'd probably look more seriously at an X1 35ix. Loaded up, it comes in well under my target price, plus BMW is putting some deals out there right now.

We'll see what Audi says next week (although I really don't want to be bothered with car shopping next week).

If forced, I'd probably have to look at Acuras and Lexi, too.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    @graphicguy>;...in all deference to mike...

gg, I have the same opinions as you regarding the C300 and the CLA. But with $5000 incentives on the E350, I think you test-drove the wrong cars. You can pick up an E350 Sport (MSRP around $58,000 - nicely loaded) for invoice less the $5000 incentive. That would be for a 4MATIC AWD. So, until Dec. 31st, you could have one of those for around $46,800. That is what I would recommend to you. Give it a shot - you might be surprised!

2021 Genesis G90

This discussion has been closed.