Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489

OK, here's one without the name in the picture:

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    edited December 2013

@stickguy, not sure if this is the image you were trying to link, but it looks like you might've had the "http" part of the link in there twice. To avoid that, just paste your link right over the "http://" that automatically populates the input box.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489

@claire I finally got it right. i do recall some pics don't work (off google maybe?) but I obviously figured it out.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146

@stickguy said:

Looks like allpar.com isn't going to share. All I'm seeing is a message to clear my cache in my browser and go to allpar.com to see the images.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    edited December 2013

@stickguy said:
    claire I finally got it right. i do recall some pics don't work (off google maybe?) but I obviously figured it out.

Glad you got it figured out. :)
    Google links are always a mess; I usually just right click the images that return in their search results so that I can get a direct link to the site or image without all the extra garbage.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131

Simca Aronde, perhaps.

@stickguy said:
    OK, here's one without the name in the picture:

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,386

New>

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Kia K900, which I've already nicknamed K9. Just a few BMW details there. I guess the Equus is selling so well, they need another entrant.

@andys120 said:
    New>

• lostwrench1lostwrench1 Member Posts: 1,165

@grahampeters said:
    G'day

Anyone care to identify this one? I took this at a transport museum in Alice Springs in Central Australia

Okay so the photo has posted but resizing it might be an issues. How do I get this right?
    Cheers

Graham
    We would have welcomed Alice Springs temperatures here this week at 42 degrees North latitude.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2013

Then I'd have to go dig up an Amphicar pic to post. I think the highest we ever hit in our Boise years was 105°F or 40.5 C. Hope the fires aren't crazy this summer.

@Stever@Edmunds said:

Then I'd have to go dig up an Amphicar pic to post.

I was talking 42 degrees latitude, not temperature. (My cousin lives in Nampa. He loves it there.)

• grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    edited December 2013

G'day

Melbourne, where I live is famous for its changeable weather; supposedly four seasons in one day. Quite cool today, Thursday was 40C (104F) here in Melbourne and I saw 42C near the airport in late afternoon.

When I took the photo of the Wood Burner/ Gas Converter Coronet at Alice Springs, it was mid winter. Being desert country with little cloud cover, it is pleasantly warm by day but sub freezing once the light fades in winter. The cold is so intense that all the locals wear woolen hats, known as Beanies and a Knitting Festival, "The Alice Springs Beanie Festival" has grown up. It draws about 2,000 entrants and about 10,000 knitted beanies each year. It is absolutely massive and a great excuse for a party, which Alice Springs embraces enthusiastically - very hard to get accommodation whilst it is on because so many people come from out of town!

That was the reason for our visit as Judy had entered two knitted and felted beanies and it was a good excuse to take a 6,600km road trip. I have been meaning to write it up since we returned in mid July. With much easier posting of photos, I will now do so.

Now back to the Coronet which is sitting on a flat bed trailer at the Australian: It was a 1972 Dodge Coronet bought by a Northern Territory Transport pioneer, Kurt Johannsen in 1976 and converted to run with a gas producer of his own invention. Quoting from:

http://ehive.com/account/3492/object/77710/Kurt_Gerhardt_JOHANNSEN_b_11th_January_1915_Deep_Well_NT

"In 1976 Kurt bought a 1972 Dodge Coronet Station Wagon and set it up as a self-contained camping vehicle. This has become the 'Mulga Express' Mark IV. Since he 'officially' retired in 1979 he has used this vehicle extensively on camping trips throughout the north and west of Australia.
    Following recuperation from heart surgery in 1986 Kurt built a second wood-gas producer and mounted it on this vehicle. Consequently, he doesn't have to worry about running out of fuel on his camping expeditions, which can last up to four or five weeks - the vehicle will run totally on wood-gas, or petrol, or a combination of both."

Kurt Johansen's main claim to fame was in developing and popularising (although not strictly the invention of ) Road Trains, which are very common in Outback Australia. The pioneer vehicles are in the Road Transport Hall of Fame in Alice Springs. I will try and post photos of some of the unusual vehicles that I found there.

http://www.roadtransporthall.com/

Cheers

Graham

edited December 2013

@lostwrench1 said:
    My cousin lives in Nampa. He loves it there.

Oh, those degrees. :o I thought the best car dealers were in Nampa and that's where we saw Bob Dylan when we lived in Boise. All time record high there was 109.

• magnettemagnette Member Posts: 4,154

Glad you are all back -but simple question - how do I post a picture with my post?

edited December 2013

Use the Image button to link to a photo hosted elsewhere. Use the Attach a file link to post a pic that resides on your computer. The Image button icon is pictured below. There's more forum tips here:

• boyceboyce Member Posts: 48

@ grahampeters. Thanks so much for posting the roadtransporthall link. I really enjoyed looking at it. Those road trains amaze me!

2015 Mazda 3 Skyactive 6spd. auto 2008 Mazda Tribute S 4spd auto.

edited December 2013

Oh, if you use the Image button the default "text" will be the URL itself. That will often be a spoiler, but you can edit the text in the brackets that will show up in the code.

It's a confusing string at first but once you spot the initial bracket right at the start of the code string, it makes a bit more sense.

New?>

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,238

The new Lamborghini Huracan.

new Lamborghini Huracan.

Looks like the old Lambo Gallardo ;)

Holiday traffic>

edited December 2013

Oh oh, Andy's figured the link trick out and is back posting. The holiday is over. :D

I'll take the Bug and the Valiant in the first row. My dad had a pushbutton transmission Valiant for a while but I don't remember all that much about it. Guessing 1960 for these two.

edited December 2013

Is that a Jag XK140 FHC in front of the 57 Chevy?
    I'll also pick off one of my strange likes, the 60 Ford, I think a Fairlane with the big bubble rear window.

@andys120 said:
    Holiday traffic>

edited December 2013

Is that a Jag XK140 FHC in front of the 57 Chevy?

Can't tell if you're right about the Jag, could be a -120, hard to say but good call. Yup, that's a '60 Ford and the Valiant is either a '60 or '61. I'm not expert on MoPars but something sez '61 to me.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,084

There's a '61 Plymouth Fury in that pic too. RE.: '60 Fords...I remember it was popular to put red reflectors in the scooped-out portion of the rear bumper, right under the taillights, to give you double-decker-taillight-look on both sides.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS

A 58 or 59 Thunderbird and a beautiful Lincoln Continental, pehaps a 61.

• jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282

The Lincoln would seem to have the straight windows. Doesn't that make it a '64?

@jlindh said:
    The Lincoln would seem to have the straight windows. Doesn't that make it a '64?

I don't know what you mean by "straight wiindows" but there is definitely some tumblehome in the side windows and given the ages of the other cars in the photo I'd say it's almost certainly a '61 (first year for that style).

I think maybe the outline of the side windows, which is less angular on early cars. But a 64 has a different rear section - the pictured car is definitely an early model like a 61.

@andys120 said:

Independent gas>

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

Yup, that's a '60 Ford and the Valiant is either a '60 or '61

When I was a teenager, one of my friends inherited his mom's 61 Valiant wagon. Odd looking vehicle with all those pieces of glass, but kind of cool in maybe a somewhat art deco way too. It had a 3 speed manual on the floor.

Fin, I can't tell for sure, but it looks like their may be some chrome trim on that 60 Ford bedsides the bumpers. If it is, it's a 60 Ford Fairlane 500. The base Fairlane my dad once had was pretty austere. Funny, only people that either had a 60 Ford in their family or neighborhood, or are real Ford fanatics generally know about the bubble rear window on the Fairlane models and the flat T-Bird inspired one on the Galaxie!

1946.5 Monarch.

edited December 2013

59s were the same, wraparound window on Fairlane, T-Bird flat window on Galaxie.

You might remember I've mentioned my dad had a 60 Country Sedan - but in the 90s. It was a cool old car, I've never seen another like it, and don't know what happened to it after he sold it. My dad's car was moderately equipped - it had the big 352, automatic, radio, either PS or PB (I can't remember, but it lacked one), no reverse lights. Red and white on red and white, it got a lot of attention.

Fin, I can't tell for sure, but it looks like their may be some chrome trim on that 60 Ford bedsides the bumpers. If it is, it's a 60 Ford Fairlane 500. The base Fairlane my dad once had was pretty austere. Funny, only people that either had a 60 Ford in their family or neighborhood, or are real Ford fanatics generally know about the bubble rear window on the Fairlane models and the flat T-Bird inspired one on the Galaxie!

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

The 60 wagon looked kind of old school when it came out because it still had the two piece tailgate. But nowadays I think it's kind of cool looking. Those Ford's had bad tinworm in the rocker panels and wheel wells, so in many climates it's lifespan may have been short. My dad's Fairlane was a 6cyl with 3 on the tree, but that meant it had a manual choke so it started it any weather (even if it was in a cloud of black smoke!). I think one of the greatest improvements in modern cars is fuel injection replacing carburetors. The 59 Ford - another kind of different styled car, but I believe it actually outsold the brazenly styled Chevy that year. 1959 and 60 weren't 65 and 66, that's for sure :)

@lostwrench1 said:
    1946.5 Monarch.

Forget what I wrote about it's being a 1946 1/2 Monarch. The strong color contrast of the horizontals before the rear wheels and the word "Vancouver" had me thinking the Canadian Monarch.
    It's an ordinary1946 Ford Coupe.

Plodge?>

Why isn't there a 'reply' feature anymore? Geez, this is bad as 'enhancements', ahem, on the system at work! LOL

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS

By 'straight windows', jlindh meant that the '64 Lincoln Continental actually moved from curved side glass to flat side glass.

Well Regent is on the fin so this one is Canadian. Dodge Regent. I'll put two chips on 1957.

edited December 2013

My dad's 60 wagon aged oddly - it was a car with ~35K original miles (I don't think it was 135 due to well preserved paint and interior) that had spent some time outside. Rockers and wheel wells were pretty spotless - but the front floors were gone, Flintstones style. When he bought it, it had a leaking heater core, I think that did it in. My dad fabricated some new metal himself (using a piece of scrap sheet steel, IIRC), and it looked passable. Cool car that he regretted selling soon after it was gone.

I have no desire to drive a carb car again - my 66 Ford had nothing but troubles in that area. Although I don't recall the Country Sedan or a 68 Fairlane my dad had in the 90s being any trouble in that area.

@berri said:
    The 60 wagon looked kind of old school when it came out because it still had the two piece tailgate. But nowadays I think it's kind of cool looking. Those Ford's had bad tinworm in the rocker panels and wheel wells, so in many climates it's lifespan may have been short. My dad's Fairlane was a 6cyl with 3 on the tree, but that meant it had a manual choke so it started it any weather (even if it was in a cloud of black smoke!). I think one of the greatest improvements in modern cars is fuel injection replacing carburetors. The 59 Ford - another kind of different styled car, but I believe it actually outsold the brazenly styled Chevy that year. 1959 and 60 weren't 65 and 66, that's for sure :)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Just hit "quote" below the text you're reading. That's what I did to reply to you.

@uplanderguy said:
    Why isn't there a 'reply' feature anymore? Geez, this is bad as 'enhancements', ahem, on the system at work! LOL

@lostwrench1 said:
    Well Regent is on the fin so this one is Canadian. Dodge Regent. I'll put two chips on 1957.

1957 Dodge Regent is correct Wrench.

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471

@fintail said:
    My dad's 60 wagon aged oddly - it was a car with ~35K original miles (I don't think it was 135 due to well preserved paint and interior) that had spent some time outside. Rockers and wheel wells were pretty spotless - but the front floors were gone, Flintstones style. When he bought it, it had a leaking heater core, I think that did it in. My dad fabricated some new metal himself (using a piece of scrap sheet steel, IIRC), and it looked passable. Cool car that he regretted selling soon after it was gone.

I have no desire to drive a carb car again - my 66 Ford had nothing but troubles in that area. Although I don't recall the Country Sedan or a 68 Fairlane my dad had in the 90s being any trouble in that area.

>

In '72 I bought a new fuel-injected Volvo. This was during the worst part of the pollution-control ramp-up, pre catalytic converter, when the manufacturers were using patches such as retarded ignition and air injection to make their (carburated) engines meet the standards. As a result, most of the new cars had to crank for several seconds before starting and then bogged and stalled until warmed up. I would get into my Volvo, turn the ignition to the 'on' position, listen for the fuel pump to ramp up pressure and stop, and then pop the ignition key to the start position and let go. The car would start and settle into a smooth idle. Seems odd now that this was an unusual ability, but that's the way it was 41 years ago.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

You can thank early Bosch fuel injection for that easy start on the Volvo. It wasn't perfect but it worked pretty well and much better than those dreadful Stromberg carbs they used a few years prior.

My 50 year old fintail does this, too - usually fires right up and idles with no warm up period. I am more than happy it has "SE" on the trunklid.

@bhill2 said:
    In '72 I bought a new fuel-injected Volvo. This was during the worst part of the pollution-control ramp-up, pre catalytic converter, when the manufacturers were using patches such as retarded ignition and air injection to make their (carburated) engines meet the standards. As a result, most of the new cars had to crank for several seconds before starting and then bogged and stalled until warmed up. I would get into my Volvo, turn the ignition to the 'on' position, listen for the fuel pump to ramp up pressure and stop, and then pop the ignition key to the start position and let go. The car would start and settle into a smooth idle. Seems odd now that this was an unusual ability, but that's the way it was 41 years ago.

You have an even better mechanical system than the early Bosch electronic--but you have to deal with plug fouling if you don't rev 'er up now and then.

Really got to dislike those cars ('73/74s anyway). The rubber bellows were always breaking. I'm still holding a bit of a grudge.

edited December 2013

I find an occasional highway drive usually does the trick...70mph with that relatively little engine and a 4 speed auto makes for plenty of revs.

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    You have an even better mechanical system than the early Bosch electronic--but you have to deal with plug fouling if you don't rev 'er up now and then.

Ahead of the curve>